Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Benzodiazepines
    Excursor4690 is offline New Member

Default Benzodiazepines

I have been taking these medications for years under the care of a physician for Generalized anxiety and panic disorder. If you have some questions concerning these drugs feel free to post and I'll try to give you some advice/experience I have on benzos.
    cheers,
    L.C

Opiatehead is offline New Member

I have taken Ativan, and valium for a while, and took Xanx once. Valium does not do very much, but ativan works amazingly well, and when I tried Xanx it did not do much. So are the effects different (besides streght) because the ingedient is different for them, but they are in the same family. I hope you understand what im saying.

Excursor4690 is offline New Member

Although the different medications of benzos are in the same family, (they all have the benzodiazepine ring in their organic composition), what works for someone else might not work the same way for you. Its kind of like antidepressents for example, their is a wide range of SSRI A.Ds, and some people swear by one while another swears by another. It just depends on your brain chemistry in regards to what benzo will bind to the GABA neurotransmitter the best in your brain to do the work. In my case, I like fast acting benzos like Xanax and Ativan, while Im not too big on longer acting benzos like valium and klonopin. Hope this helps!
    Cheers,
    -L.C

yummers is offline New Member

Tell me about Ativan?? I've been on Xanax forever. Love it's anxiety-crushing effect and how it can help me get to sleep - but hate how it's fast-acting and wears off fast. I've tried Valium - it seems to feel almost exactly like Xanax except it makes me MORE dopey (guess that depends on dosage adjustment?) I don't think it kicked in or wore off as fast as Xanax, though. Also I have tried Klonopin (sp?) and I didn't notice ANY EFFECT. However I was on a lot of other meds at the time and maybe one of them counter-acted the Klonopin.
    Please tell me all about Ativan? maybe post a link to a website with lots and lots of info? I'll Google it too while I wait for a reply.
    Thanks!!!

livid is offline Member

I've been lucky enough to have the chance to take rhohypnol on several occasions... for my personal use, not to slip into someone else's drink. Wow, comes to mind.....
    Next to that I completely love xanax. Ativan was good at first, but over time did little to help what it was prescribed for. Valium I've never liked.

bill25 is offline New Member

Rohypnol is the most blown out of proportion drug I have ever taken. It is basically like a xanax with a longer half life and it also sems to be especially good at causing what is known as retrograde amnesia, where people forget what they did while on the drug. But as for it being some date rape drug, that's bs. Anyone could slip anything into your drink and knock you out (Chloral hydrate anyone?)
    Just my $.02
    Bill

Bill

J.D. is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by bill25

Rohypnol is the most blown out of proportion drug I have ever taken. It is basically like a xanax with a longer half life and it also sems to be especially good at causing what is known as retrograde amnesia, where people forget what they did while on the drug. But as for it being some date rape drug, that's bs. Anyone could slip anything into your drink and knock you out (Chloral hydrate anyone?)
    Just my $.02
    Bill

Bill
    Words outa my mouth, Bill. When I first heard rohypnol is the equivalent to ten valium - I was headed for the border! I've actually never taken any, but I've worked my way thru nearly all the benzos - and as much as I hate to admit it, I love the ride. As far as a rape date drug - I can see how a strong dose mixed with liquor given to someone who has NO tolerance could practically cause a coma.

Now I have to take them for my seizures every single day. For those who don't know what it feels like - wow. When I get my script filled each month, I dump the entire bottle of pills in my hand and it's like I've died and gone to benzo-heaven. I've always had self-control issues, and this is probably the worst. Some days I want to dump about 15 down every 15 minutes (down my throat, that is). But I can't. They keep me alive, day to day....

livid is offline Member

not even close to 10 valiums... I'd equate it more to about 4 or 5 mgs of xanax after having a few drinks... I enjoyed it much more than >>>>>> or opiates. Valiums suck by the way, don't do a thing for me.

The only reason rhohypnol is called the "date rape" drug is because it is nearly flavorless. Most benzos have a somewhat bitter taste and might be detected in a large quantity mixed with something other than hard liquor, whereas rhohypnol in plain seltzer would most likely go unnoticed... not that I condone that sorta thing.

Casey55 is offline Member

>>>Now I have to take them for my seizures every single day. For those who don't know what it feels like - wow. When I get my script filled each month, I dump the entire bottle of pills in my hand and it's like I've died and gone to benzo-heaven. I've always had self-control issues, and this is probably the worst.>>>

JD,

If you take so many at once, what do you do the rest of the month when you don't have enough pills to take each day for your seizures. No way your doctor is giving you unlimited supplies. ?????

Casey

sfc420 is offline Member

Now those were words out of my mouth... I will admit I opened myself up to Xanax as my own decision, but now i just cant stop. When the I dont have xanax i just go through withdrawals, but as soon as I get that prescription I'm at the drug store in a minute. I cant play this game anymore... I dont even feel the damn things workin!

DrMAL is offline New Member

Perhaps most/all of you should invest in the text by Mosby.

In any event, Benzos as a class are body-destroying drugs, mainlyh with the liver. Shorter acting ones (Xanax in particular) binds most tightly and is most addictive. THEY ARE ALL HIGHLY ADDICTIVE. THEY ARE ALL BAD FOR YOU. Ambien, a hynotic sedative (same "class" as alcohol), replaced most benzos (Valium, the most popular, in particular) and is ALSO DEADLY.

Suit yourself...drink lots of poisonous alcohol...KING OF DEADLY DRUGS and the #1 CAUSE OF HEALTH PROBLEMS ON EARTH...maybe add some poisonous pills..."street drugs" are merely badly made "designer drugs"...with the designers generally having PhDs (like myself) and with good intentions...and the companies they work for having rather "mixed" intentions...BOTTOM LINE being all-powerful.

In any event, Benzos as a class are body-destroying drugs, mainlyh with the liver. Shorter acting ones (Xanax in particular) binds most tightly and is most addictive. THEY ARE ALL HIGHLY ADDICTIVE. THEY ARE ALL BAD FOR YOU. Ambien, a hynotic sedative (same "class" as alcohol), replaced most benzos (Valium, the most popular, in particular) and is ALSO DEADLY.

Suit yourself...drink lots of poisonous alcohol...KING OF DEADLY DRUGS and the #1 CAUSE OF HEALTH PROBLEMS ON EARTH...maybe add some poisonous pills..."street drugs" are merely badly made "designer drugs"...with the designers generally having PhDs (like myself) and with good intentions...and the companies they work for having rather "mixed" intentions...BOTTOM LINE being all-powerful.

Mal,

Do you also go by Miles? Is there a reason you posted the same post three times, were you having computer difficulties? For your information, millions of people are helped by these meds and live normal lives because of them. Also, there are tons, if not the majority of drugs on the market that if taken in excess are deadly, that is called an overdose. All kinds of medications are addictive, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be used for the purposes they were approved for. And there are very safe ways to withdrawal from such drugs.

Since the SSRI's have come out and are used more commonly to treat deperssion, they are much safer than the old trycyclics and have less side effects.

You tell us to read the text by Mosby, but you don't tell us what that text is or the author.

As not to not repeat myself, feel free to read my reply to Miles on the thread about Effexor.

Casey

RoC1909 is offline Member

You nailed it Casey!

I was wondering the same thing concerning the "text" that was mentioned. The below link list's Mosby books but there looks like quite a few that can "possibly" be stated in the context of this thread.

http://www.us.elsevierhealth.com/

As for Benzo's, I don't take them yet have Klonopin and Ativan sitting on my counter as I write this. I tried them and they don't agree with me. I have a narcotic addiction (20-30 Norco a day) and am now on Avinza (Morphine SR).

As for DrMal's statements, a lot of the members of this forum understand that Benzo's can be "evil" due to their addiction potential...BUT, they have their medical uses and when used for the condition that they were originally prescribed/intended for, can be a blessing to those that find that their "quality of life" affected by panic/anxiety disorders.

And as mentioned by Casey55, ANY DRUG in excess amounts can cause all sorts of problems. Unfortunately, there are many that have a big "addiction potential" and do get severely abused and with said abuse, there becomes issues of long term problems.

The main statement I am trying to make is that we value everyone's opinion on the forums but I think that you need to understand a "specific individuals" condition before making a "broad generalization" on the evils of certain drugs i.e what they offer the "patient" and how they can improve their way of life.

Regards,

J

slestr is offline New Member

Iwas suffering from severe anxiety, panic attacks, and major depression. I went to a family pratice doctor and he prescribed me paxil cr 12.5 mg along with xanax. The paxil did nothing for a month and the xanax made me feel better for a little while and I felt like I had to take more than prescribed because the effects didn't last very long and I felt like hell when it wore off. Finally I found a psychiatrist. She doubled my paxil cr dose to 25 mg.to be taken at bedtime and 2.5 mg. of clonazepam divided into three doses. It's been taking a long time for the paxil to kick in. For the past two weeks I've felt great. I have absolutely no anxiety or panic attacks and feel as calm as can be. I plan on getting off the clonazepam after the paxil takes full effect as recomended by the doctor. I don't know which drug is working now. Is it the paxil or the clonazepam. I'm afraid to get off the clonazepam for fear my symptoms may return. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank You

slestr,

I am so glad you are now seeing a psychiatrist. The are way more qualified with these meds and the side effects and they see many patients each day on these different meds. I really believe if you are going to be on depression, anxiety, etc meds for more than a short term basis, 2 wks or so, you should have a psychiatrist following you and monitoring your progress.

I don't know if you psych. told you this or not, but you can't hear it too many times. What ever you do, don't just stop the Paxil or any meds without consulting with your psych. first. Paxil has an especially severe withdrawal if stopped abruptly. (it is called the Paxil Flu) It has the shortest half life of all the SSRI's which means it is out of your system very quickly after you stop it.

After being on it for 5 yrs. along with another SSRI, I finally developed seratonin syndrome which is a toxic level of seratonin in my body. I was like a bad case of the flu, but very dangerous, I need to come of one of the two immediately, it was a medical emergency. I chose the Paxil, knowing full well what would happen, because the other SSRI was the only med that worked for one thing and I was not about to go off it with the success I was having. The Paxil was just added to help anxiety and if it augmented the other SSRI, that was even better.

I went in a severe withdrawal almost immediately after stopping it. It now felt like I had 5 cases of the flu all at once. I truly thought I was going to die, but they told me I wouldn't and I didn't. I was in withdrawal for two whole months. I laid in bed in the fetal position and just rocked all day long. I never want to go through that again, and I like to remind people what can happen if you do stop cold turkey.

Good luck, I hope the Paxil and other meds continue to work for you and help you.

Casey

There are safe ways to come off these drugs if need be, so tell you doctor and follow their instructions.

Good Luck and good decision seeing a psychiatrist.
    Casey

gator7 is offline New Member

Benzo's are useful for many people. The wicked thing about them is that it is very dangerous to withdrawl from and very horrific. I am trying to taper slowly off of klonopin after almost dying from a c/t withdrawl 2 years ago. I refuse to go through the c/t hell again. It is even rough now trying to withdrawl slow and if it gets to be to much I will have to stay on it. It is about quality of life and I know of people who are sitting in misery for years after withdrawing from these. I just don't know what point they are trying to prove.
    Gator.

c/t off 3mg of klonopin in 2002-almost died. Reinstated 4 months later and doing a very slow taper.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Be very carefull withdrawing off any benzo as it can be life threating.Taper very slowly and don't worry if you have to hold at a certain amount for a while.......Dave

mcxtra23 is offline New Member

[size=6][size=3]i have to valium otherwise i get fits and a flake out n seize up but the problem is my doctor is cutting my dosage down everytime i go so [:0]would i would get them of the net but i am paranoid if they will arrive or not does anyone know where i can get them at a good price (not like $200 for 90 tabs) and a reliable place thanks email me mcxtra23@aol.com

c.lamb

HighingFly is offline New Member

Hey, can you help me out with this..

I took a .25 mg Xanax on Thursday evening. I found out Friday that I have a urine screen tonight (Monday). Will the .25 Xanax show up, or is it not much? I took about 2 mgs of Xanax, and had a screen about a week later and I was fine. Should I buy a Detoxify kit to flush out my system, or will the Xanax not show up? Most benzo's stay in your system about 2 weeks... but I'm not sure since it was so small. Any help I'd appreciate.
    Thanks,
    G

craz_chick is offline Member

quote:Originally posted by Opiatehead

I have taken Ativan, and valium for a while, and took Xanx once. Valium does not do very much, but ativan works amazingly well, and when I tried Xanx it did not do much. So are the effects different (besides streght) because the ingedient is different for them, but they are in the same family. I hope you understand what im saying.
    can you tell me a little about valuim? I just had some given to me by a friend but worry about them cause i am not sure it they are valuim or maybe somthing else they are blue round and say 10 under a line and on top APO. Maybe generic or something. My phyc wouldn't give them to me b4 cause he dosen't like how they become addictive, but don't all after taking for along time?
    If there is a site or u can help me I would appreciate it.

straightshooter65 is offline New Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again ...

Benzodiazepine withdrawal and Alcohol withdrawal are very similar (delirium tremens) and can become a MEDICAL EMERGENCY very fast, especially Xanax. It is not safe to abruptly stop any medication without consulting with your doctor. If you have been abusing them and are reluctant to tell your M.D. this could be a fatal error, you are risking seizures/convulsions and an untimely demise.

Tread lightly folks.

Peace

JD

craz_chick is offline Member

I am on celexa and my b/f just got effexor. I have been on prozac and atavian and didn't find the atavain worked and prozac i went squirly after awhile. I have heard that effexor made a friend of mine go weird but i am not sure any ideas on it?

kevin9494 is offline Member

Default ordering online

Does anyone out there know of any LEGIMATE online pharmacies where you can order benzos without a prescription from a us doctor??? I tried one and the valium and diazepam the sent me were, well they were the real thing, but they sucked. I had to take double doses just to get rid of my anxiety. My shrink believes benzos are half of peoples problems. Go figure!! Quack. Anyway please send me an email is anyone knows of any. Thank You.
    My email address is = snoclaf94@msn.com

Brent and Jane Kuhn is offline New Member

Please read my thread.........http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...ion-41808.html

Help!

Satori2869 is offline New Member

Default Don't want your Klonopin and Ativan????

J, if you still have those Klonopin and Ativan and don't want them, let me know,

THANK YOU!!

Satori2869

Robert_325 is offline Retired

That's a really stupid thing to post. You could give a darn less if anything happens to anyone, you just want to scam some drugs. Did you know the DEA monitors this site? They'll get your IP address from your post. So now the heat knows you're trying scam benzos illegally. They'll probably be contacting you soon. BTW .... your drug search is for nothing considering the poster you're trying to contact is from April of 2007. LOL Have fun watching out the miniblinds.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 08-30-2009 at 12:02 AM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Psychmajor is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrMAL View Post

haha wow did you really put a barbituate with alcohol? alcohol inhibits GABA making you more wired than tired until you consume enough of it... designer drugs= any synthetic so we should be on opium shrooms and pot everyone!!!... annnd addictiveness of a pill is based on strength (which includes half life), rate of onset, dependance (which includes tolerance) and the inability to control your self with the drugs. now where did you get your phd?

p.s. antidepressants are hard on your liver but some people really need them...

EricaMarie is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Excursor4690 View Post
    I have been taking these medications for years under the care of a physician for Generalized anxiety and panic disorder. If you have some questions concerning these drugs feel free to post and I'll try to give you some advice/experience I have on benzos.
    cheers,
    L.C
    Hi i would greatly appreciate it if you could help me out with this. I have to pass monthly drug screens at a methadone clinic i go to. Once a month I'll "treat myself" to 2 valiums after i take my screen. How long do they remain in your system? For the first time in a year, I failed for benzo's last month. And like an idiot i ate 2 last Friday. What can i do to get them out? Last month I drank tons of water thinking it would've flushed me out but that wasn't the case. Seems they stay in your system forever! You have any info/advice you can give me?! I'm freaking out for next month's screen!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast