Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
ativan vs xanax
    DIRTYFRESH is offline New Member

i take 2mg xanex a day 3 times a day and ive found out that when i take 4-8mg of ativan a day its almost the same the xanex just puts me more out of it like as if im drunk, the ativan just makes me want to lay down and be lazy but with both i get no anxiety anymore. if i were to chose one i would say xanex if your a busy person, if you have not alot to do, then ativan, its less addictive too. BUT Kolopin 2mg are the best for anxiety and busy people i could take up to 10mg of kolopin and still go about my day not looking messed up and not feeling tired just feeling good about myself and happy, I calll them my happy pills.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTYFRESH View Post
    i take 2mg xanex a day 3 times a day and ive found out that when i take 4-8mg of ativan a day its almost the same the xanex just puts me more out of it like as if im drunk, the ativan just makes me want to lay down and be lazy but with both i get no anxiety anymore. if i were to chose one i would say xanex if your a busy person, if you have not alot to do, then ativan, its less addictive too. BUT Kolopin 2mg are the best for anxiety and busy people i could take up to 10mg of kolopin and still go about my day not looking messed up and not feeling tired just feeling good about myself and happy, I calll them my happy pills.

10mg of klonopin a day are HAPPY PILLS??? I disagree! I guess that is something to be proud of that one can take 10mg of klonopin and "not look messed up." God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 03-25-2012 at 06:12 AM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

rusty_shackelford is offline New Member

This is an older thread but I'm glad it's still active! I take Xanax only when flying. Today I asked my doctor for a refill for an upcoming trip, and mentioned that I'd need more than usual because it's an overseas trip. She suggested Ativan instead, and said it's longer lasting and would be a better choice for a longer trip. But the dose she prescribed (0.25 mg) is so small that the pharmacy didn't even have it in stock, so I'll be cutting teeny pills in half. Anyway... I do very well on Xanax - I get quite sleepy, but I only take it on the day I travel and there are no addiction or withdrawal issues. Can I expect the same from Ativan?

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by rusty_shackelford View Post
    This is an older thread but I'm glad it's still active! I take Xanax only when flying. Today I asked my doctor for a refill for an upcoming trip, and mentioned that I'd need more than usual because it's an overseas trip. She suggested Ativan instead, and said it's longer lasting and would be a better choice for a longer trip. But the dose she prescribed (0.25 mg) is so small that the pharmacy didn't even have it in stock, so I'll be cutting teeny pills in half. Anyway... I do very well on Xanax - I get quite sleepy, but I only take it on the day I travel and there are no addiction or withdrawal issues. Can I expect the same from Ativan?

You shouldn't have any problems with either med using them just for flying in the manner you've described. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

headtripp is offline New Member

ime and imo ativan is much more smoother than xanax. they last about the same but xanax just always made me groggy. Valium is what i stuck too and helps the best and lasts much longer.

mjsds is offline New Member

Default xanax

Quote Originally Posted by Alohajiim View Post
    I have taken xanax sporadically for several years. Mostly at night as a sleep aid when traveling, and changing time zones. It has worked quite well. I try not to take it more than once or twice a week. I also take it before I go to the dentist or before I have an interview or presentation, which is seldom. It keeps me from getting worked up and tense. I usually take half of a ,05 mg tablet, rarely I take a whole tablet if I am not the least tired and I need to sleep. I wake up relaxed and unconcerned. I have never taken it on a daily basis. Just knowing the possible addictive nature of the medication helps me to use it only under the previosly mentioned circumstances. I have never taken ativan so I can't comment on it.

I have taken BOTH Ativan and I was just prescribed xanax. It's been 4 months now but I do take them wisely. I do NOT take them every day. I have had trouble breathing and also have vocal cord spasms which cut off your air supply. I have had over 40 appts including Neurology, cardiology, endocrinology, asthma/allergy. ect. After many tests, CT scans and MRI I am having asthma attacks with extreme anxiety. After treating the Asthma the panic attacks get so bad I have crawled into the ER 7 times now. I was given Ativan through an IV and was given a prescription to take home. 2 months later and 40 appointment later no one could find a cause for my symptoms other then asthma/vocal cord dysfunction followed by panic ( due to the fact that I could not catch my breath) I crawled my way into Urgent care and the doctor did give me Xanax. I am on a long term Anti Anxiety medication but I'm only in week 2. The medication I'm on takes 3-6 weeks in order to feel any benefit and I'm also going through Therapy and seeing a professional to monitor these drugs. Good luck to you all.

melaniemeow is offline New Member

I have been taking Xanax for over twenty years--1 mg 3 times a day. The couple of times I have run out, I had horrible headaches, muscles cramps and spasms. stuttering, and my insides felt like they were being squeezed out. I had to go to the ER and they were afraid I was going to have a seizure. A nurse tried to tell me not to start taking it, and that the withdrawals are worse than even alcohol or >>>>>>. I am MISERABLE if I run out! I agree that Klonepin is much safer, lasts longer, and is much less addictive. Again, this is from personal experience. If I take Klonipin it helps with withdrawals, and so does ativan, but it just isn't the same. Trust me, you will go through HELL if you get addicted and run out. I have to admit to myself that I am a drug addict, even though it is prescribed for my Panic Disorder. Good luck and yes, God bless you--and please try the less addictive branch of the benzo family first!

davisgwar is offline New Member

Hope you have found the proper medication for your anxiety. I see you asked this question in 2009, however if you need any assistance or have any questions please let me know. Take care.

Tree0fKnowledge is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by pssssstyo View Post
    yes xanax is the devils drug. i cant even explain how bad the withdrawals are from xanax, all i can say is that i was withdrawing from both opiates and benzos at the same time and i did not feel the opiates WD's at all .XANAX is hell.
    If you mix benzos with narcos you WILL get a very specific hell on earth type withdrawal and FAST. If you just take the benzos for a few weeks and only benzos then you'll be okay.

softbaked is offline New Member

Hi, This is my first post here because I found this thread interesting. Anxiety has been a part of my life for over 20 years, at one point even Agoraphobic, so I have seen the whole experience.

I have had a Xanax prescription for over 20 years and it is my silver bullet, nothing works faster or better for putting the breaks on an anxiety attack than Xanax for me but I have NEVER been addicted to Xanax because I do not take it every day sometimes I go days/weeks/months between doses and that is the trick...

You should only take this medicine when you need it and do not rely on it for the only cure, meditation/counseling/diet/exercise/sleep/ etc... is the only way to truly get your Anxiety under control to live a normal life, it's the lifestyle you live that puts you in control of your Anxiety.

Don't get me wrong... Xanax saved my life and gives me the courage/confidence to go out in the world because I know if an attack is going to happen I have the cure in my pocket and it works very fast and I do not even need a strong dose, .25mg usually does the trick nowadays, I get the .5mg prescription and break them in half when needed and if it is a really strong attack I know I can take the whole .5mg or two of them together for a total of 1mg (but that is rare, cannot even remember the last time at that dose)

If you take it every day, then, when you really need it the effect will not be enough, I'm sure by now some of you reading this are probably thinking "we'll he must not have bad anxiety" nothing could be further from the truth, before learning the secrets above I lost my wife/job/house/etc..., I know how much anxiety can destroy your life, but with a Xanax in my pocket I am in control of how/when/where I go.

Another very important part of controlling your anxiety is taking a beta-blocker on a daily basis, when I started taking Nadolol once daily I found that I did not need the Xanax as often and now I hardly even use Xanax, just for emergency's.

*side not: If anxiety attacks are new to you and have been suffering then do yourself a favor and take the Xanax two/three time a day for two weeks just to feel life without anxiety again, you deserve it and it will help your brain, after that just take when needed combined with a daily beta-blocker, do not allow yourself to become addicted to Xanax, it will loose it's magic potency for when you really need it. If the anxiety is still so bad that you truly feel the need to take the Xanax daily then you should look for other help immediately and resist the industry who's answer is making you a drug addict with other drugs, find a good doctor/psychiatrist/therapist who will do more than sell you more drugs, the drugs are the means not the ends and never, ever feel ashamed for your condition, this medical condition is biological/hereditary just like any other disease like autism/epilepsy etc... and if the ones you are with cannot understand this, they need to be counseled/educated and if after that they still do not get it and are not helping/understanding your condition/disease then they should not be a part of your daily life, they will make this worse for you, harsh but true, people are like water we seek our own level, find that balance of people/support and you will live a full, happy, productive life. I learned all this the long/hard way, learn this and you have already won.

Good luck, never give up, live strong and free, find a way to turn all that alone time you will have into doing something productive/unique no matter what it is, the success from that accomplishment will carry you throughout your entire life. Peace

coysoloman is offline New Member

I have had anxiety for 29 years full time and had it as a child. I take Ativan 2mg 3 times a day. I do not get a buzz nor does it make me tired. I have anxiety from the moment I wake up to the time I go to bed. I am on disability because of it. I go the right doctors. I talk alot to them. But to no avail I still end up in the ER at least 3 times a year. They have tried me on different meds,buspar,paxil you name it but they all had adverse reactions to me. ( they call me ass backwards lol). Like I cant take a whole vicodine onle a half of one and sometimes that is too much for me. But anyways I have been on Ativan for years. I do self help,walking,yoga,meditation,go to church I pray alot and I mean alot. There are times I cant go out in public I stay away from crowds at all times. I cant hardly shop anymore and I cant drive anymore by myself because I will blackout with anxiety. I know I am addicted to it. But like the Doctors and I have both agreed upon is if it works it works so take it. If I could get off of it God would have answered my prayers. God bless all of you that are new coming into this and I wish you the best of luck.

kar324 is offline New Member

I want to preface this by saying I am a behavioral health and addictions RN. I have been working in this capacity for 10 years. Benzos are good only as needed in SEVERE anxiety or panic attacks and only when prescribed by a responsible physician. Different people, have varied brain chemistry and each respond differently to different benzos. I have seen both sides of the fence. I have seen people use benzos very responsibly as prescribed, for only AS NEEDED in the event of a full blown, all out emergent panic attack and NEVER become addicted. I have also seen people abuse benzos and the most widely abused is Xanax. If people only use these medications AS PRESCRIBED for pretty much an emergent situation only, they can have and live productive lives. Seek therapy for any free-floating anxiety--talk it out, journal out negative emotions and feelings. The answer isn't always in a pill. And NEVER try to stop benzo's cold-turkey. I have witnessed full blown, grand mal seizures for those who have tried doing this. Seek professional help if you have severe anxiety or are having a problem with benzos. It is like a tight-rope exercise. Proceed with caution and only, again, take any medication as prescribed and only prescribed by a RESPONSIBLE licensed physician. Not really rocket science here. Have a good day : )

annietjones is offline New Member

DANGER?! FOR ADDICTION!?
    If used more than a few weeks? Who the H told you that gave you a bunch of . I use Xanax during the Winter season for the blues... And am tapered off come Spring.. If you follow the prescription correctly, you should be just fine There is no danger unless you ABUSE IT.

annietjones is offline New Member

I started getting panic attacks when I was 30. I needed the meds to control it. The more I learned about panic/anxiety, the more I learned to recognize the onset of an attack. And learned to stop it without meds. I learned to just ignore it.. Sounds unreal, but it is true. I have learned to relax and just take things as face value. I don't worry about life like I used to. Life is way too short to not enjoy it to the fullest.. You can mentally control your attacks.. It will take time ad patients, but in the long run you will become drug free. I do however need it once in a while to help me sleep.. Even then it is half of the lowest dose possible. Good luck

DrOpiates is offline New Member

Yes, as everyone has said, they are addictive. But if your like me and basically have a major panic attack whenever more than 4 people are looking at me these meds are the only ones that really work. There is another one called gabapintan that's for long term use but you'd be better off blowing in a paper bag. Xanax is what I take. 8mg a day. Sounds like alot but after you take it awhile the side effects(f'd up, sleepy, woozy) go away and I'm in a state of bliss all day.

DrOpiates is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by annietjones View Post
    And learned to stop it without meds. I learned to just ignore it.. Sounds unreal, but it is true. You can mentally control your attacks.. I do however need it once in a while to help me sleep.. Even then it is half of the lowest dose possible. Good luck
    I'm sorry. Then you don't truely have the type of anxiety that's required medication. A panic attack is not something you can control. I understand the part about feeling them coming, but being able to use your Jedi mind to stop them is just not the case. Once a panic attack that has been building in your nervous system, it cannot be stopped IMO. It is a clinical problem. Your nerves have built up to a point where they are literally about to explode. And if you use it for sleep, that's abusing it. If you have a true case of extreme anxiety where benzo's are required, they do not make you sleepy. They just clam your nervous system to point where you can breath again.

panly557 is offline Banned

So basically I am 14 and terrified to fly. I think I might have a form of post traumatic stress disorder as I've been afraid to fly ever since I was 9 when we had AWFUL turbulence and It was the scariest thing that has ever happened to me and I am afraid it will happen again.

DavidTerhune is offline New Member

Thumbs down Ummmm

No you lost your license because you were driving.....Not because of anything else. Doing anxiety meds doesn't have anything to do with you loosing your license. Thats >>>> and a decision you made. You might have had a seizure, from going cold turkey, or other issues. Thats here nor there, but you can't blame loosing your license on that......>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Baka View Post
    Don't even start. I have been prescribed Xanax for over 25 years and the doctor just kept upping the dose to the point of me being physically addicted. Going off of them causes a Grand Mal Epileptic seizure which aside from being no fun, will put you in the hospital and cost you your driver's license. Tapering off safely can only be done at about 20% every 3 to 6 months. Trying to do it faster may, in fact, kill you. I broke off all my canines during the seizure and now the dentists are telling me that due to my age they will only pull them and put in dentures. My answer, was, of course, "Bull".
    Moral, don't do benzo's of any kind since they are super addictive.

pepsimama is offline New Member

How slowly should one taper off? I take .25 mg 3x daily as needed.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

How long and how much do you take?
    What is it?
    You need to go slowly tapering benzos.

Hurtin is offline New Member

Yep, I have cold turkeyed valium once and Xanax once.
    I was on Xanax, varying amounts, not dr. prescribed for about 2 mos. and quit, had a grand-ma a seizure, fell and while flopping around at a gas sta. I got arm caught in steel drain grid thing, bad dislocate of shoulder--tore rotator cuff! Never do this, never!

2nd well actually 1st took lots of valium from 20 to 30 mg. day for 10mg years. Ever been to Hell? I cold turkeyed hydrocodone once too. The valium took me 1 year worth of withdrawls. Truth. I have a serious spinal stenosis bi-lateral problem after broke back 30 years ago on phone pole. Operation just never helped much. Also have pudendal nerve entrapment----operated on in 2010---didn't work at all.
    Now I'm on Lots of 80 mgs. oxycontins daily.
    Oh I'm sure some are judging me but I did get to retirement, then the next day I was ruled as total disability. Invested lump sum with a well known and trusted retirement specialist. I lost 3/4 of what it took me 30 years to practically crawl to the retirement finish line. In 2 years 3/4 gone. What bummer.
    Can you say disappointed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I'm on about 1/6 of what I used to make.
    Anyway some of these folks don't know what they are talking about. The nurse probably knows the most.
    Just be very careful when using benzo's. I always THOUGHT THEY WERE LIGHT WEIGHTS, BUT WATCH OUT THEY CAN KILL YOU, ESPECIALLY XANAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    COLD TURKEY CAN KILL YOU, SAYS RIGHT ON THE BOTTLE.
    RON
    iloerose likes this.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Ron:You are so right about the benzo's, whatever one you take: Ever been to hell? You summed that up so well. Never c/t a Benzo drug, yup especially xanax. Always, always taper, preferably under a doctors care, though even docs sometimes don't realize the addictive properties of xanax. My own doctor told me it was non-addictive, NOT. I'm lucky, I never had seizure. However, you can go c/t and find you're alright and then out of nowhere a week later the w/d starts: and the c/t w/d CAN KILL YOU. There is nothing fun nor fine about xanax, or valium for that matter. Going c/t from an opiate like hydrocodone will not kill you. >>>>>> w/d will not kill you, Benzo w/d CAN kill you.

Thank you for posting your experience: I hope many people see this. Benzo's k-pin, ativan, xanax and valium are not worth playing with.

Peace,

Iloerose
    alexnt likes this.

llcmal is offline New Member

I have been on 3 anti anxiety meds. Here is my opinion on those:
    1) Ativan - Ativan has never helped my panic attacks. Occasionally, it helped my anxiety. But, it didn't help enough for me to quit taking it.
    2) Xanax - Xanax was the only medicine that helped not only my anxiety & panic attacks but it also helped my depression. I was on it for about 6 months or so. I found out I was pregnant & stopped all medications immediately. I had no withdrawal side effects. Since then I have asked to be put back on it. And although I haven't taken it in 19 years, they act like I'm a dope fiend looking for a fix. Which really pisses me off. So, I end up telling them to shove it & leave with nothing. I will say, I never felt addicted or that I had to have it. I had virtually no side effects.
    3) Buspar - Buspar in terms of effectiveness falls somewhere between Xanax & Ativan. It helps panic attacks & anxiety. Doesn't really help depression.
    I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

mlucky1234 is offline New Member

Default Not for everyone but for some it is salvation.

I have taken both of these for 25 years. I had very severe panic attack disorder. I was treated by an psychiatrist for over 2 years seeing her once a week. These made me able to live again. I know people won't believe this but I only took it when needed. Initially it was every day. I would freak out driving to and from work to home. I premeditate if I am going to fly and I have my 2 or 3 tabs on hand in case something goes on. Like nitro tablet to the heart attack victim. I get one 60 tablet script per year and that's it. I have taken 2 tablets before and it just makes me sleepy, it does not get me stoned. One tablet chills me out and I relax and get a little tired. Not everyone gets hoped up on this. I have never drank alcohol while taking. Just to mention I have been to the ER 4 times with severe panic attacks. The first is how I was diagnosed. I had Anxiety attacks for 2 years and the doctors would give me stress tests and tell me I was OK. Finally one day on the way home I went to an ER and they checked Blood Pressure and ask what I was so excited about. This is how I was diagnosed. What I want to emphasize is that many are prone to addiction of a particular compound while others tolerate it well. I know addicts that only drank and know some >>>>>> addicts that shot smack but hardly ever drank. Each person has that thing that gets them.

Jenn30 is offline New Member

I took 2mg of xanax 3-4 times a day for about 6 years. I stopped cold turkey. I didn't have any of the WD symptoms people talk about. A friend of mine stopped around the same time and had to go to the er. He got really sick from not having any. I did feel different for about a week, I just felt tired and anxious. Also, it seemed like time was moving so slow. I've since been rxd zoloft, Prozac, buspar, Ativan, and klonopin. None of these help like the Xanax did. Xanax took away all anxiety and I was able to concentrate and focus much better at work. I felt normal. My therapist just keeps switching my meds every few months.

The Husband is offline Member

Jen sounds like you got put on another benzo right away and that is why you didn't w/d. If that's not the case consider yourself lucky you didn't have a seizure.

MarcPierre is offline Banned

Xanax, also sold under generic name Alprazolam, is of a benzodiazepine class of psychoactive drugs and is FDA approved for use in treatment of panic disorder, and Ativan, generic name Lorazepam, is a 3-hydroxy benzodiazepine drug that has all six intrinsic benzodiazepine effects: anxiolytic, amnesic, sedative/hypnotic, anticonvulsant, antiemetic and muscle relaxant.

chernobyl is offline New Member

i have a lot of experience with both xanax and ativan. they are both very similar. i hardly notice a difference. they both have a very short half life. they also both kick in fairly quick usually about 20 minutes. xanax is twice as potent per milligram. usually when you get prescribed it is not meant to take everyday. also tolerance develops very fast. say you take 2mg of ativan one day, if you take 2mg again a second day, you may not even feel anything. xanax and ativan both have a cross tolerance.

bobby33 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by pssssstyo View Post
    yes xanax is the devils drug. i cant even explain how bad the withdrawals are from xanax, all i can say is that i was withdrawing from both opiates and benzos at the same time and i did not feel the opiates WD's at all .XANAX is hell.
    withdrawing from ANY benzo will make you feel like your walking through hell..not just xanax.

ericsky is offline New Member

First posting after subscribing today, although I've read threads in the past. Just read this thread 1st to last. I've had a prescription for .25mg Xanax for nearly a year, but it's typically filled for 10 only and seldom monthly. I take 2(.5mg total) once per day when I take them so you can see I don't take them regularly. I have panic attacks occasionally but anxiety/depression is my normal struggle when it hits. It's mostly SAD after moving back to severe MN winters after 15 years in Mexico highlands, but short term depression episodes do strike anytime of year. Last winter this time a series of family issues triggered a severe depression which lead to resuming anti-depressant meds(50mg zoloft) after a couple year's off after most of 14 years of SNRIs. Now, my girlfriend of over 4 years and friend of nearly 30 has stage 4 pancreatic cancer. and it's a severe winter to boot. Question- I'm trying to decide if I should try ativan or valium instead of xanax. I like xanax's quick effect, but panic attacks aren't the issue right now much. Xanax does make me a little tired and doesn't last long. So I'm wondering which option could best keep me calm to allow my focus but last longer throughout the day. When I've tried re-dosing with xanax it didn't seem to work well 2nd time same day, and since I get so few, I'm afraid to waist them. I'm considering a different source to not have the limited availability continue to be an issue right now, but I'd rather know which is best for longer lasting effect, while maintaining as much energy as possible. Oh, I'm planning to take a mindfulness meditation course next month and look forward to finding a natural balance using this plus my sport activities, diet and other med free tools to eventually stay off the chemicals all together. Long post so thanks for reading and any responses!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast