Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By betsy_still_tokes
Anyone on Lamictal
    chloeolivia9 is offline New Member

Default Anyone on Lamictal

I have recently been put on Lamictal for a mood disorder, not for a seizure disorder or bipolar disorder as usually prescribed. I am wondering if anyone has experienced any of the horrific side effects and what was the outcome. I would also like to hear from anyone who is on this drug and has worked wonders for them. This drug scares me, but I am hoping that is the answer to my prayers. I was thoroughly informed of a life-threatening facial rash, painful mouth sores, swollen neck glands, etc.... I also was informed that the rash could leave horrific facial scarring. Wow! That is quite a risk, I hope it is worth it. Chloeolivia9

girl_xxvii is offline New Member

I was on this drug for a while. I had a bad rash due to Lamictal. It's very rare to get a rash but it healed up with no scaring.

morticia is offline Member

hi
    my hubby has bi polar and he is on 500 mgs of lamital and it works wonders for him its a great drug for people with mood disorders or bi polar i think youll find that it works good for you too. how long have you been on it? the rash is rare thats why they start you on a low dose first. my 13 year old son take 150 mgs and let me tell ya it work wonders for him he has ADHD and inaminnit explosive d/o and what a difference it made in him . what dosage are you on?

best of luck to you hope this helps!

good luck,
    Morticia[:I]

chloeolivia9 is offline New Member

Thanks for your reply, Morticia. I am still titrating and on my second week. I hope this works. It was nice to hear that it not only works for mood disorders, but for ADHD as well (I am pretty sure that I have that, too. Great to hear that it works well for your loved ones. Chloeolivia9
    quote:Originally posted by morticia

hi
    my hubby has bi polar and he is on 500 mgs of lamital and it works wonders for him its a great drug for people with mood disorders or bi polar i think youll find that it works good for you too. how long have you been on it? the rash is rare thats why they start you on a low dose first. my 13 year old son take 150 mgs and let me tell ya it work wonders for him he has ADHD and inaminnit explosive d/o and what a difference it made in him . what dosage are you on?

best of luck to you hope this helps!

good luck,
    Morticia[:I]

awfulife is offline New Member

I have a very close friend who suffers from bipolar disorder and she takes lamictal. She says that she buys her medications on www.drugdelivery.ca and that the site is really equipped with all the necessities that a patient or a curious person needs. It's in fact true. I went through that site today searching for some pain killers for migraines, and wow, it's so detailed and precise. And there is also a live chat system which gets prompted when you surf on the site for a long time. It asks if you have any queries, and you may ask whatever you feel like. Hope this helps you!!

Iwolf is offline New Member

I took it for three years - I was very happy with it. No side effects. It didn't take me all the way but it was much better than the antidepressants (I am bipolar II, mostly depressed). I am only off it because I wanted to try Topimax to deal with a weight and drinking problem.

jenniferever is offline New Member

I was put on Lamictal for "mood disorder" as well. My doc gave me the oragne starter pack to titrate up on the dose. I must say, I had serious aprehentions about taking it. It took me like 2 weeks to start it because I was so nervous. I did. Everything was fine until I reached the 200mg a day point. As soon as I started taking 200 mg a day I developed Vertigo. I was a mess, my cognitive abilities where taking a beating as well. It was bad, my doc told me to stay at 150 mg for a while. I did, then I started developing a "acne" type rash on my face. That was enough for me to throw in the towel on lamictal. I was not about to chance a "potentially fatal" rash reaction. After my face calmed down, I thought about taking it again (i don't know what i was thinking, i wanted to more for my doctor then myself). I called GlaxoSmithKline and asked about what I should do to restart it. They said it is not recommened to restart Lamictal if you had any type of skin reaction while taking it. Since there is no really way to know what caused to "rash" on my face, I can't restart it. I am glad now though. Its an expensive drug and I don't think that I REALLY needed to be on it.

My ex-boyfriend was on Lamictal for multiple personality disorder, but I won't get into the jokes about that. What did happen was he got a painful rash in his testicular/perineal region, which cleared up after a doctor prescribed a topical cream. Served him right, the cheating bastard. Best of luck!

Jesus Christ will help you through. -Betsy
    luvy298 likes this.

Sinden is offline New Member

I'm new here and I'm so glad I found this site. I've been taking Lamictil for 2,5 yrs now and it saved my life!...no.....actually it gave me a life I never had. I suffer from temporal lobe epilepsy and bipolar with acute manic phases.It was hell to stabilize me, but it was worth it!

I've been doing great, till 2 months ago. I started getting nervious and anxious again. I couldn't concentrate for 2 minutes in a row and couldn't even read. I started to "forget", like in blackouts.

My psych try to increase it, but I got worse, then he gave me seroqual...what a desaster!...He now gave me Cymbalta, but I'm too afraid to use it. I use to get all side-effects in the book when they put me on meds!...I think I'm first gonna try hypnotherapy or something else. I'm in danger of loosing my job when I get sick of meds again.

I'll be glad to hear from someone who takes Lamictil and Cymbalta in combination.

Did anyone here ever had digestive problems while taking Lamictil?

Carpe diem!

connieb is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by Sinden

I'm new here and I'm so glad I found this site. I've been taking Lamictil for 2,5 yrs now and it saved my life!...no.....actually it gave me a life I never had. I suffer from temporal lobe epilepsy and bipolar with acute manic phases.It was hell to stabilize me, but it was worth it!

I've been doing great, till 2 months ago. I started getting nervious and anxious again. I couldn't concentrate for 2 minutes in a row and couldn't even read. I started to "forget", like in blackouts.

My psych try to increase it, but I got worse, then he gave me seroqual...what a desaster!...He now gave me Cymbalta, but I'm too afraid to use it. I use to get all side-effects in the book when they put me on meds!...I think I'm first gonna try hypnotherapy or something else. I'm in danger of loosing my job when I get sick of meds again.

I'll be glad to hear from someone who takes Lamictil and Cymbalta in combination.

Carpe diem!

connieb is offline New Member

Four years ago I was put on Effexor, Lamictal and Seroquel ... eventually I tired of taking so many pills and decided to stop Lamictal as I suspected it was responsible for negative side effects. Seroquel was also dreadful, didn't figure that out for another three years, so I'm glad your off that. So my response is basically to your querie about adverse effects on digestion. Oh, YES! Have been trying to fix damage to stomach for over a year, and am slowly improving. Pariet has helped; but I'm trying to fix these things now with natural 'stuff'. Effoxor has practically drained my brains entirely of memory bank. Found good info. tonight on this About: Depression page, under title "Vitamins for Depression?" It fits in with what my naturopath has advised. Hope U find what U are looking for a get better. Carpe diem - You're right about that!!

quote:Originally posted by Sinden

Carpe diem!

libby_R is offline New Member

hi my husband was put on lamictal and it saved not only his lifebut our family as well . he was put on it because he suffered from severe depression i mean he woul not leave the bed for days he was then given thisand within a couple weeks he came alive he was so scared that he to would get the rash but he did not. lamictal has helped him get better.si >> suggest u give it a go and goodluck start living

elizabeth

plowboy is offline New Member

I have been on Lamictal for about 2 years for a seizure. Previously, i was on Dilatin. That nearly put me in a walking coma! Terrible. When i began to take Lamictal it was like waking up. I expreienced no drastic side effects, but do seem to be having some minor digestive problems. i have noticed recent dental problems in that I haven't even had a filling for the 10 years previous to Lamictal and now I am on my 3rd root canal in 2 years. No sure there is any correlation, but would appreciate any feedback. By the way, a friend of mine (bipolar0 was put on Lamictal and it made him suicidal in just a short period of time.

pshtcarli3 is offline New Member

Default Ticking.

I was diagnosed with Bipolar, and then re-diagnosed between three and a half/four years ago. I've been on Lamictal ever since. I am technically A severe Bipolar patient, with manic/depressive, and I am also diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. Before Lamictal I was put on so many anti-depressants I couldn't count them because they thought I was just depressed. Lamictal was a life saver for me. I was actually sent somewhere by my mother back then. I am currently taking 600 mg a day. I am so much better than I was back then. I am no longer violent, my mind racing is so much better. All of my symptoms have improved, but they are not gone, of course. I tick, every once in a while. Which is normal for Bipolar/BPD. I just wanted to know if anyone else was on a high dosage of Lamitcal, and if they still tick and have extreme violent, etc. behavior every once in a while?
    Even if you aren't on a high dosage I would still like to know about anyone being on it and having episodes? How bad they are and how often?

-Carli

Anonymous Guest

I also take Lamictal 200mg in the a.m. I am diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder / Depression and I find that is works pretty well for me.

You should build up to the therapeutic dose for your condition VERY SLOWLY to help NOT getting the rash.

It has worked wonders on my Depression and I would recommend it.

bipolar_bear is offline New Member

Default Lamictal for 4+ years

I am Bipolar I and have been on Lamictal (400 mg) for 4+ years as a combination therapy with just about every other drug in the bipolar pharmacopoeia. The Lamictal has made all the difference to me in the past few years- it has successfully kept the lid on my mood and has no side effects that I can tell. It has succeeded where many many others have failed.

After such long-term success with Lamictal, my Dr and I felt comfortable trying it as a monotherapy since she has had success with other patients. Things have been going...OK. I have definitely been more more volatile but nothing I haven't been able to manage with some visualization and relaxation exercises.

Now for the past week I have been in the gnarliest mixed state, the first and worst I have had in years. I am seeing my Dr later this week and will most certainly add something back at least temporarily (probably for the long term.) In the meantime I am taking some emergency Invega that I keep around for when my brain starts going places it shouldn't.

I say give the Lamictal a chance but pay attention to your mood as you titrate- Personally, I had to go up to 400 to keep things under wraps and a good friend of mine went full-blown manic between 200-300 mg. And as with all mood stabilizers, AD's, etc don't be surprised if the treatment effect is reduced over time.

I wish you the best of luck. Take care of yourself.

rajdreamz is offline New Member

Default Lamictal side-effects...

1/27/2010

I'm replying to an inquiry by Sinden, and although that inquiry was about 5 years ago, I'll share my experience with the med for everyone's perusal.

Please understand dear friends who have a bipolar condition as do I...I'm not throwing a 'Lamictal Bashing Party' here. If the med works for you, praise God, and absolutely stay with the med.

My experience: I was prescribed Lamictal to get me through Interferon treatment for the Hep-C I no longer have, thank heaven. The Interferon treatment went well, and was completed in 6 months. When I used the phrase "get me through" I meant that I live with bipolar & depression, and my doctor was concerned--and rightly so--that one of Interferon's side-effects, depression, might cause me to be suicidal. So I was prescribed the Big M and, yes, it worked quite well; I got a little weepy and fatigued from the Interferon; that was about it.

Well, another 6 months have passed, and Lamictal is now presenting with a very unpleasant side-effect which I'd not noticed before--"before" meaning the period when I'd been taking Interferon: I feel drowsy and listless all the time, my "pep" is practically non-existent, I have to roll out of my bed in the morning rather than spring out of it ready to rock 'n roll as was the case before taking Lamictal. Additionally, my enthusiasm for life, i.e. my hobbies, hanging out with friends, starting new projects, etc. has diminished considerably--AND my dreams at night are either not happening at all or they're sad. In short...I don't get up in the a.m. with my former zest, nor do I have any of it as the day progresses. I just feel like a limp dishrag!

I'm currently taking 250 mg of Lamictal daily--down from the original 300 mg, and the next time I visit my doctor we'll discuss going down to 200 mg and on...until I'm down to zero. Yes, my bipolar/depression condition is very real, however I find that through my own personal behavior modification I'm able to live a normal life. Again, I'm not a doctor, so please do not go off your meds on the basis of what I'm now sharing. What keeps me stable just might get you in a robe and paper slippers.

Can anyone relate to my experience? I'd like to hear from you.

Be well & God bless

Roger 'Raj' Leonard

HYM
    HYM is offline New Member

Default Lamictal and Lamotrigine Side Effects

Quote Originally Posted by chloeolivia9 View Post
    I have recently been put on Lamictal for a mood disorder, not for a seizure disorder or bipolar disorder as usually prescribed. I am wondering if anyone has experienced any of the horrific side effects and what was the outcome. I would also like to hear from anyone who is on this drug and has worked wonders for them. This drug scares me, but I am hoping that is the answer to my prayers. I was thoroughly informed of a life-threatening facial rash, painful mouth sores, swollen neck glands, etc.... I also was informed that the rash could leave horrific facial scarring. Wow! That is quite a risk, I hope it is worth it. Chloeolivia9
    After having been prescribed Lamictal (Lamotrigine) for nearly two years, I developed a very nasty, persistent rash on my back and abdomen. After a week with this rash (I was taking 50 mg Lamotrigine, down from the 150 mg prescribed initially), I got an awful intestinal problem that I thought was a gall stone. I thought that was the stomach flu. Anyway, after eliminating all other possible causes for the rash and eating only bland food, I cut my Lamotrigine in half and the rash finally began to subside. My doc told me to stop it entirely. Tummy issue went away with the rash, and as I detox from this stuff, I am sleeping better than before, my GI is performing brilliantly and I have had not one depressive episode (though I did feel a bit manic for a short while, but that went away). Yup, this stuff is insidious and likely has unknown and serious side effects with extended use. That's my belief, anyway. Be careful with anything that alters the brain chemistry. Docs prescribe such with great whimsy, I'm afraid.

Stellablue2 is offline New Member

Question What next?

I've been on Lamictal (lomotrigine) for 9 years. I went off a couple of times, but lost the thread--you know that invisible "thing" that helps you make sense of the world (as senseless as it seems, sometimes) and keeps you from spontaneously combusting--and couldn't figure out what the point was. The drugs don't really help me figure out "the point" but they do keep me from caring whether or not there is one (which I still don't know that there is).

Don't mean to be morose, but I have 5 pills left and no money. Kind of in the same boat as the other inquirer several years ago. I get my meds from Canada. I have a friend who is a psychiatrist who writes my scrips for me. So there are no doctor fees and the meds have been relatively inexpensive. However, I now don't have ANY money, so it's not even possible to get them in Canada. I do have relatives, but I am not going to hit them up for the money. So I did a search on bi-polar clinical trials. It turns out I'm eligible and they will not only pay for my meds, but will pay for my doctor visits! Did I say I have 5 pills left? Well, I don't want (and can't, as well) to buy more and the study won't happen for a couple of weeks, so I'm going to sail on off these pills and see if I can weather the storm until the new situation presents itself. I have no job and no small children or animals depending on me for care, so I'm actually looking forward to being off Lamictal. While it has kept me on an even keel these many years, it has also taken away my motivation to do much of anything. My bipolarness has just readjusted itself. Rather than episodes on a larger scale, they seem to be contained within.

I'm going to try to explain this: In my "mind" I think I am capable of doing almost anything--and I do have a lot of talent and skills in a large number of things--but then on the other hand, when I actually *think* about doing any of those things I think I am so good at, I freeze up and panic because I'm afraid I can't do them. How can this possibly make any sense? I "know" I CAN, but then I just ... can't. It's stupid. And I'm sick of that. I need a job. I apply for them every day. I'm qualified. I can't even get an interview. But if someone offered me the job, I am now worried that I wouldn't really be able to do it. Does any of this make sense to anyone else?

I just want my motivation back. I DO have these skills and talents. I need a brain that will allow me to use them instead of scream at me that I will fail and cannot do anything.

This was about Lamictal, I know. But this was my explanation from a person on it, but sliding off it. And I don't know what the new drug will be in the clinical trial, but I'll drop in and tell y'all about it.

bilmo2008 is offline New Member

Default I have been taking 200 mgs per day for about 6 months

Quote Originally Posted by chloeolivia9 View Post
    I read all the ghastly side effects, and it scared me. but took it anyway. so far,
    no problems. My P doc (is that right? ) or SHRINK if you will, prescribed it after I told her that I had encephalitis as a child, and that it was a bad case of it. the doctors at the time were not sure I was going to pull through. I don't remember any of that of course, but my parents told me about it when I was coherent again.

anyway, it's weird taking too much stuff at once. but for now, I'm going along with it because I have an explosive personality (whatever that means. bad temper? short fuse?) but no bi polar, and no seizures. that's all I know

cholesteroldrug is offline New Member

I agree that going to the doctor first before trying any cholesterol drug is better. It's a MUST as a matter of fact. Not because one medication is effective it means it is good for you too. You must consult your doctor first before you try medicines that lower cholesterol. Also, natural remedies are good as well, ask you doctor about it.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 03-28-2012 at 12:39 AM.

slattery is offline New Member

Well Roger, I DO back up your future goal and aspirations to attempt to see how things GO, minus the lamictal or other drugs. I've never experienced lamictal, but certainly know a whole lot more than I ever wanted to about depakote, zyprexa and abilify!
    I DID have a raging manic episode w/a psychosis nine years ago; hence the need to consume depakote/zyprexa. BUT after a period of six years of 24/7 consumption, did they both nearly put me six feet under? YES! 100lbs later! Not to mention being a starring actress in "night of the living dead....zombie"!!!! So I took matters into my own hands, quit all effective immediately, for 13 mths. Lost every scrap of the weight, & everyone was RAVING about how I was back in town again....back, miracle! Well....not so fast...stop the lights lol. I had ANOTHER manic episode; 2 week's duration, & ended up back on depakote/abilify. In all fairness to this combo, yes it worked perfectly for me, no more comatose states, happy & productive, until I took a physical last Oct, & discovered that I now had a litany of side-effects, including pre-diabetes and outrageous cholesterol. Since I bearly touch meat, & weight 118, it HAD to be the anti-psychotic. And this time, the risks of taking abilify outweighed the benefits. So I was left w/depakote alone. Well, it hasn't been working so well, as I had a 10-day mania in Jan, & the mother of all episodes again starting May & lasting weeks....but nonetheless, I'm sticking to the agenda. I'll only consume a high dose of depakote, but NO anti-psychotic, as long as I can help doing so.
    However, your aspiration to try to go without (and see what happens!) is a favorable one to me. Why not.....you either win, or you lose. Nothing ventured, nothing gained; and it might JUST be the case that you can pull this off. I was not so lucky, but however, I have zero regrets for abstaining for those 13 months, as it literally gave me back my life, plus shed the incredible pounds stacked on for that period of time.
    But to the original poster - I wouldn't be inclined to shoot down Lamictal, as the buzz IS that in terms of ALL these array of drugs, it is by far and away the most preferable. It is supposed to be weight-neutral, which is HUGE to most ppl faced with having to consume this stuff. Now truthfully, it is not considered a first line of defense drug for those ppl in acute manic episodes; depakote's the one for this kind of thing.....but I hear that it works REALLY well generally for those subject to depression. And just with surfing posts on various websites, I've concluded that this bipolar thing is SUCH an individual and unique thing (although manic ppl tend to do the same kinds of things lol!) - in terms of responses to various drugs. What works like a gem for one, does nothing for another, or alternatively sickens. The only real way to gauge the effect of the drug, is for YOU to try it yourself. IMHO....God bless & good luck to all! Kathleen

paulaamaral is offline New Member

How long after the first pill do you notice the rash?

Anybody experience the Lamictal acne? My son (16) takes Abilify, Lithium and Lamictal. He has been on them for 5 months now. Just 2 months ago, he started having horrendous eruption of acne and has been getting worse in spite of reduction of dosage of Lithium. Meanwhile, the Pdoc increased the Lamictal. The dermotologist said it was the Lithium but I read a lot of Lamictal acne online. So I am thinking reducing Lamictal dosage too. Anyone has success reducing the acne problem while still on Lamitcal and/or lithium?

Thank you very much for your help.