Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Ambien
    mailman is offline New Member

Default Ambien

Has anyone had any trouble with Ambien? I have been on it nearly a yr. and can't sleep without it...

helene is offline New Member

I have been on ambrian for a month now had to take it as lost my son dec 16th and it helps me to sleep as couldnt without it,a blessing to me without it ,my blood pressure would be way up there

sfc420 is offline Member

Both of you need to stop taking ambien and find some more natural remedies. Ambien has shown lately to only be an effective cure for sleep disorder in 10 day trials. Your trying to cure ur insomnia, not just find a temporary solution, just like you wouldn't want to be taking vicodin your whole life for back pain. Once you've been on ambien for a year try and stop taking it and see how well you sleep.... thats called dependence and its the same thing that happens to people on all kinds of other STREET, not just pharmaceutical drugs. The pharmaceutical industry has created a whole entire realm of drugs, that are illegal in the streets, but legal in a pill form and with the right doctor. ambien is no different, in fact, ambien is strong and can be deadly at even just double the dose. So try and ween yourself off of ambien, try and actually cure your sleep disorder, or go back to your doctors and say your pissed that he kept you hooked on such an addicting substance.

Well actually I am not ''pissed'' that the doctor cut my ambien way down...I am worried...that I will go back to dozing during my long drive to and from my job and yawn all day and be so tired and sleepy all the time...I have actually dozed off driving and only woke up when I hit the ditch...fortunately I did not hurt myself or anybody else...the ambien was the only thing that saved me....when I would get a good nights sleep with ambien I am alert and not sleepy at work....it is a good feeling....I know about the not sleeping after not taking ambien for so long...but what is worse? Being a hazard on the road or depending on ambien?

amack is offline New Member

If not contraindicated, you may try over the counter Benadryl. Take it according to package directions. Some of my patients ( I am a nurse) have more success on the Benadryl than Ambien. If that doesn't work, contact your doctor for medication alternatives. Tell the doctor what you wrote on your message. Being straight forward is the best way to communicate your needs to your healthcare provider.
    Good luck.

RoC1909 is offline Member

It's amazing that your doctor would keep you on Ambien for the length you mentioned (a year). As mentioned by someone else, Ambien is only for SHORT TERM USAGE (7 to 10 days) and does nothing for the underlying cause of your insomnia. It may seem to help with your problems since it is allowing you to get a good nights sleep, but you need to resolve the "true reason" why you are not sleeping.

Maybe a visit to your doctor and mentioning your "issues" will help him make a informed decision on what should be done next.

I remember when I took Ambien for a few weeks straight and the first night that I didn't, I could barely sleep. It's called "Rebound Insomnia". A person who takes it for a week or so MAY have this sort of insomnia for a few days. I really wonder how it may be for yourself who has taken it for a whole year?

This site also has more information:

www.ambien.com

Good luck if you are trying to get off of them.

J

Myki is offline Junior Member

I take benadryl when I have difficulty sleeping and it works very well. Only side effect is a bit of dry mouth next morning but coffee took care of that haha. Ambien is very addictive. I refused it when it was offered to me for that reason.

RoC1909 is offline Member

I have also taken Hydroxyzine for sleep problems. It's a prescribed antihistamine that works along the same lines as taking Benadryl would.

There are other drugs that are non-addictive that would probably help just the same as Ambien would.

Talk to your doctor about other alternatives.

J

JIMBO132953 is offline New Member

I took Ambien once, one pill mind you, and I missed 3 days of my life. I did not like it at all.

JIMBO132953 is offline New Member

I just remembered.... one other time I was prescribed Ambien, and one night after work I took one 10 mg pill on my way home thinking it would take effect when I got home to bed. I was about 10 mins from home. BOTTOM LINE.....IDON'T REMEMBER THOSES LAST 10 MINS....MY WIFE CAME OUT TO THE CAR THAT I HAD IN PAK AND WAS REVING THE ENGINE AT 1130 AT NIGHT. SHE ASKED MY WHAT I WAS DOING.SHE SAID THAT I SAD I WAS REFILLING MY MOUNTAIN DEW BOTTLE THAT I WAS ACTUALLY POURING OUT."""""THIS STUFF IS LIKE LSD OR SOMETHING"""VERY NASTY.

kathyharr is offline Junior Member

i have always had insomnia ( don't know why)
    what works for me is one Melatonio 300 mcg
    and a antihistamine pill...
    i take it an hour before i'm ready to go to sleep
    and i get a great nights rest....
    i get them at the dollar store, total of 3$....
    why pay more for an prescription when you don't have too!

my prayers are with all of you....thank you kathy

ambien_lady is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by mailman

Has anyone had any trouble with Ambien? I have been on it nearly a yr. and can't sleep without it...
    Mailman: I have been on Ambien for over a year, and it works GREAT for me. I spent 20 years with insomnia that even counseling couldn't fix. The first night that I took an ambien, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I was awake one minute, then waking up rested the next! I had even had to change professions because I wasn't safe to take care of patients in a sleep deprived state. I just hope that it keeps working/
    ambien_lady

Thanks Ambien Lady.....I feel the same way about ambien...I have no side effects or any problems with ambien....I did the first time I took Ambien have a blackout period but I was at home and my wife told me to go to bed and I went although I don't remember it....I take the Ambien 15 minutes before I go to bed and everything is fine...I guess it effects everyone different ways...good luck!

Terry G. Mills is offline New Member

I normally do not need nor take any sleep aides. But, one night about a month ago, I was offered an ambien by my wife who takes them only on an as needed basis. She breaks the pill into 3 pieces and only takes 1/3 of a pill at a time. I made the mistake of taking a whole pill. Didn't remember going to bed, or getting up once during the night (according to my wife). I was in a "fog" for about 2 days after that but did sleep very well both of those nights. I think that I won't be taking any more unless I'm directed to do so by my doctor.

El Supremo

LLpat is offline New Member

Well, thought I'd jump in here... total newbie to this forum.

Here is how Ambien works for me - half an hour and I'm asleep, wake up maybe once and after doing my "business" back to sleep. Refreshed in morning.

Here it is without it... 1 1/2 hours to get to sleep, wake up five times or so. Tired in the morning and all day. (See below*)

I've been taking it nearly a year. That was my sleep pattern before I took it, and I return to the same sleep pattern (if you can call it that) when I don't. Don't know if I'm an exception... no memory problems (well, once I was awakened by the phone an hour after I went to bed, or so I was told because I don't remember it. I was also told I made sense, but just wanted to hurry up and get back to bed.)

I've been dealing with a condition called LPR (laryngopharyngeal reflux), which causes one to constantly cough or clear their throat. For some reason the Ambien kills the cough... that is part of the reason it takes me so long to get to sleep without it.

I really do not like the habituation, and have tried various other methods (ALL the traditional ones), but for the moment, it works perfectly me for me.

LPR is treated, in part, similarly to GERD, and so I cannot go to bed for 3 hours after eating. So do the math... I eat as early as possible, around 6-7, so I cannot get to bed before 10 at the best. Taking an hour and a half to fall asleep, getting up 5 times and having a wake up time of 6 am to get to work... well, no wonder I was sleep deprived with an average of 3 to 5 hours of sleep.

Of course I'm on a bunch of meds for LPR but hey, for now that's necessary... healing takes a long time.

Anyway... so far no significant side effects from Ambien. Interesting the variability in response to it.

twighlight is offline Junior Member

I have been taking Ambien for well over a year and have had no problems with it. I take one 10mg dose then crawl in the bed with a book. Before I know it, I am asleep. I have suffered from insomnia most of my life, even as a child. As have many members of my family. This medication has been a godsend to me, especially now that I am recovering from a year long Percocet addiction. I have no qualms about taking it. There is nothing worse than not being able to sleep especially when everyone in the house is asleep and it is so quiet all you hear is the ticking of the clock.

normagirl2 is offline New Member

I can't.Had been taken ambien for almost five years, doesn't work as good as when I first started.I tried for 2 weeks not to take it and only got about three hours sleep a night, I though I could nap during the day but didn't work so went back to the medication and at least get four to five hrs of sleep.I also tried Lunesta but didn't work at all. I just wish I could get a natural sleep pattern but

mamaearl3 is offline New Member

My husband was on ambien for 1 year or more. The longer he took it the less he slept. The doc kept switching him from ambien to other drugs when it stopped working. Finally he wasn't sleeping just halucinating and walking about. Next, he began to act really abnormal, like mean and untrusting. Sleeping no more than 2 hours a day at the most. After one particular horrible weekend, he agreed to go to the Dr. , she made him go to the psych Dr. and we found out he is bi-polar. Hurray for effexor and zyprexa!!!! He's been stable for 2 years now. People please, if you are not sleeping and are hard to live with, or if someone tells you that you are acting mean or crazy, pleeeeeez go to a psychiatrist and be evaluated. We have lived 30 years of pure hell and all it took was a few visits and loving support and now we are living "happy ever after"!!!! WOO HOO God Bless all of you having any trouble of any kind. I send you prayers and angels.
    MamaEarl

elsiejay is offline New Member

I have begun sleepwalking while using Ambien. I have been on it for about 5 years (I know, it is supposed to be for short term use.) and have worked with my doctor to increase the dosage to 20 mg per night. Less and I don't sleep at all.

Now I am sleepwalking, and that can be dangerous. Has anyone found a good solution, other than doing without?

Lcj

mamaearl3 is offline New Member

My husband was changed from ambien (it just plain quit working like all the rest of the sleeping pills did), to effexor for the anxiety and nervousness, and zyprexa (as he was needing the psychotic at the time) and also short term klonopin as a boost. If he needs the klonopin, and he does every couple of months maybe, he takes it at .25mg or .50 and it helps him fall asleep nicely. NOT an everynight thing. His effexor is 225mg and the zyprexa starting at 10mg, then 5mg, and now the 5mg in half, he is weaning off of now after 3 years. This all was prescribed by a psychiatrist...that's the best thing we ever did for him. He is very thankful he went. He is a changed man after 30 years, the last 15 being the worst.

eVenge is offline New Member

I was prescribed Ambien about a year or two ago when I was suffering from insomnia because of another medication. I took it every night before bed, and I'm only 18, so I would love staying up until my vision started getting blurry and I couldn't focus on anything. And it because a little, fun, drug-like escape I would have. I wasn't on any illegal drugs at that point, and this was incredibly interesting to me.

It's true - Ambien is only supposed to be used for UP TO 10 days. I'm not sure why you're doctor put you on it for so long. But my doctor gave me an entire 30-day supply and never hesitated to give me more when I asked.

I became quickly addicted and it was awful. When I didn't take it, or forgot to, I was up almost all night. But one pill would still knock me out for hours and I LOVED IT.

Anyone whose taking Ambien, just be careful because it can get really out of hand, REALLY fast.

- Anya

We are >>>>, afraid, and far from sober . . .

elsiejay is offline New Member

Anya, you are wise beyond your years! Recognizing your addiction is the first step, and I have had to take that step as well. It is a fun little drug, and like you, I loved that blurry, inbetween stage. I'm now working my way off the drug, and it is not easy.

I have gone from 20 mg to 15 this last week, and the first few nights were pretty bad. I have fibro so sleep is a challenge anyway, but with help from family, I got through it, and have been ok the last two nights. I will drop down another 5 mg again and see how long it takes me to get off entirely, if I can.

It is really easy to get and take these meds, and they are so seemingly safe. But they can be nasty.

and by the way, I haven't done any sleepwalking since I dropped the dose.

Lcj

I truly appreciate what you said, Lcj, thank you! Unfortunately, my little stint with Ambien gave me irrational permission to use other drugs as well - prescription ones such as Ritalin, Concerta, and some opiates, and harder, much more severe street drugs. You name the drug, I've unfortunately tried it at least once.

Coming off of Ambien was absolutely horrible. For starters, no one knew that I used it as often as I did and since I was unaware of the problems of quitting a prescription drug cold turkey, it was incredibly hard to do. But now that I'm completely off of it and it's out of my system, I feel amazing.

I completely understand where you're coming from. Coming down is incredibly hard, but honestly you'll feel so much better once it's done with and you have your life back in control, so to speak.

Again, thank you. And good luck, sweetie! It's difficult but WELL worth it.

- Anya

ElfQueen is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by sfc420

Both of you need to stop taking ambien and find some more natural remedies. Ambien has shown lately to only be an effective cure for sleep disorder in 10 day trials. Your trying to cure ur insomnia, not just find a temporary solution, just like you wouldn't want to be taking vicodin your whole life for back pain. Once you've been on ambien for a year try and stop taking it and see how well you sleep.... thats called dependence and its the same thing that happens to people on all kinds of other STREET, not just pharmaceutical drugs. The pharmaceutical industry has created a whole entire realm of drugs, that are illegal in the streets, but legal in a pill form and with the right doctor. ambien is no different, in fact, ambien is strong and can be deadly at even just double the dose. So try and ween yourself off of ambien, try and actually cure your sleep disorder, or go back to your doctors and say your pissed that he kept you hooked on such an addicting substance.
    Boy I would say by your writing that you have never suffered insomnia. :Lucky you for being able to sleep unaided or even more so if you have been able to be cured.

There are many of us who suffer from incurable insomnia and we HAVE to take sleep medication in order to function during the day and not kill others while driving, or hurting ourself with falling asleep in the middle of a dangourouse job. Not sleeping can kill! Yes, it most certainly can. Insomnia is a disease for many of us. And not curable again for many of us. I feel you have been most unfair in your posting.

As to Ambien, I too have been on it for about 3 years now, but my doctor has me on three different medication, Ambien, Estasolam and Lunesta. What I do is take either for as long as I can sleep with it, then instead of having to increase the dose I then switch to one of the others, and so on. It has worked for me for 3 years as I said, and this far it has worked but not any longer.

Ambien side effects are memory loss and amnesia, among others. This is what I am now feeling when I use it. So for me it is a decision that I have to make, since amnesia can be a problem especially if you have to take medications on a schedule, as you will not remember if you did that or not. For me it has been at times very disturbing not remembering what I did during the night, whether I had getten up or what. Even though it does wear off later in the day, the memory loss and difficulties remain as long as I am on Ambien.
    Lunesta has a bad taste which for me never goes away and gets worse with drinking water especially, but Lunesta is new and is supposed to be for long term treatement of insomnia. Lunesta has caused me severe migraine which I normaly do not suffere from.
    Estasolam has been okay for me but that one is the first one which had to be increased.
    My pharmacist also suggested to try the new Ambien CS I think it is called. I have not tried it yet. And to switch between generic and name brands which may also help stay successfully on a lower dose.

As to the need of sleep medication that is something you need to discuss with your doctor, keep in close contact with him/her. And consider a sleep study if you have not had one. Insurance does most often pay for it. If you have not had one, a study that is, I recommend that very much. A sleep doctor is up to date on medications, side effects and other treatements. Plus it sounds like you may have narcolepsy or you could be suffering from sleep apnea which all cause you to be very sleepy the next day.

Sleep is an absolute necessety for life, we will die if we do not get sleep. and the brain will not function well without long term sleep deprevation.

Good luck and live well[:0]

Irishdaughter is offline New Member

My mother (81) has been taking Ambien for about 2 or 3 months now and the past few weeks she has called me late at nightsaying there are bugs all over her house!! I checked everywhere including mattress and bedding ( she said they were biting her) she threw sheets and bathroom rugs in the bath tub and kept saying I needed to look quickly to see them and also said some were flying right in front of her on the floor about 2 feet up, she was waving her hands trying to scatter them there wasn't a darn thing there !! Anyone heard, or experienced, anything similiar while on this drug? New here and hoping for some clues. Thanks.

Irishdaughter

Irishdaughter,

Has your mom recently decided to stop taking the medication over the past few weeks? If so, she could be suffering from withdrawl if she's been on the medication that long. Hallucinations are common, for example, with alcohol withdrawl, but could possibly be a sign with Ambien as well.

I highly suggest talking to your mom's doctor or, if that's not a possibility, researching some side effects and "worst case scenario" pages online. They could further provide insight.

81 is also a very elderly age. She may just be reacting poorly to her age, so to speak. I highly suggest talking to her doctor.

Again, neither of these suggestions are fool-proof. I'm not a doctor and do not know how to medically diagnose or treat someone with these symptoms. They're just suggestions.

Good luck.

- Anya
    - Anya

EasyMeds is offline Banned

Ambien is addictive and is meant only for short-term use. If you need a long-term sleep aid then go with Rozerem. It is neither addictive nor tolerance building.

You can find it easily and reasonably priced (as far as sleep meds go) at www.EasyMeds2005.NET.

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions: EasyMeds2005@yahoo.com.

Regards,,
    www.EasyMeds2005.net

BigJohn is offline Member

Hey...I take Ambien. Have been for awhile now but I only take it every 3 days. I have a serious cervical back injury and sleep is hard sometimes without it. The only side effect I've experienced is if I take it before I'm actually in bed and screw around for awhile then I experience total memory loss between the time I take it and when I go to bed.

According to Davis drug guide...Ambien is contraindicated for the elderly. If it is neccessary than a 5mg dose is the most it says. Might want to talk to a doc or get 2nd opinion.

Peace and all that,

John

EasyMeds is offline Banned

Ambien is addictive and can cause hallucinations prior to falling asleep. I’ve suffered from insomnia my entire life. It was great when I could take Ambien once in a while, but it isn’t something that can/should be taken every night. It also builds tolerance.

In the past month I have switched over to Rozerem which is new to the market. It is non-addictive and non-tolerance building so it can be taken every night. There is none of the memory loss you get with Ambien, it lasts through the night, it even works better than Lunesta.

This is defiantly a “must try” for someone who suffers chronic insomnia.

Insomniac is offline Junior Member

Another option is Lunesta. That and Rozerem are the only ones approved for long term use. Lunesta reports from people seem to be more effective than Rozerem. Rozerem is helpful in falling asleep, but Lunesta is used for all types of insomnia: falling asleep, staying asleep, and waking too early.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast