Alprazolam to Lorazepam
    3boys4me is offline New Member

Default Alprazolam to Lorazepam

Hey there~
    I was hoping someone could help me! I was on .5mg of alprazolam, to take as needed for anxiety. It didn't really do anything, so I asked if I could try Lorazepam, Will I notice a big difference or are they pretty much the same?

I am sorda freaking out about trying it!

Anyone had a similar experience?
    Thanks~
    Mom to 3 busy boys! :-)
    Last edited by 3boys4me; 11-07-2007 at 09:31 AM.

3boys4me is offline New Member

anyone have any info??? Please post if you do! on either of these drugs!
    ~ASM

Mike VG is offline Senior Member

Yes, you are going to notice a different kind of difference. Both are Benzodiazapines and they all have different effects. Going from Xanax to Ativan sounds a little odd to me, it's usually the other way around in my experience with the people I know and the reading material I've browsed. The only way to find out 3boysforme is to try it and if it's not working out, try something different. That's the only way to find the anti-anxiety drug for you. Take care.
    Mike VG
    Mike VG

Cats Meow is offline Banned

OP, this site may give you some basic info on the benzo's dif.
    http://www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm

2latebp is offline New Member

Default How are you doing?

Quote Originally Posted by 3boys4me View Post
    Hey there~
    I was hoping someone could help me! I was on .5mg of alprazolam, to take as needed for anxiety. It didn't really do anything, so I asked if I could try Lorazepam, Will I notice a big difference or are they pretty much the same?

I am sorda freaking out about trying it!

Anyone had a similar experience?
    Thanks~
    Mom to 3 busy boys! :-)
    Don't know if you made the changes in meds, and if so, have you seen any improvement. There is very sound reasoning in switching from Alprazolam to Lorazepam. First item to note, not everyone responds to meds the way the text books / drug companies state. We don't all fit into neat little category's. You mentioned that you were prescribed the Alprazolam on a PRN (take as needed,) basis. Xanax is a powerful but short acting benzo (anti-anxiety,) and the 'normal' dosages prescribed, do not help many patients. Many patients find that they need to take the drug several times a day...and then there is the good possibility that within 8 to 12 hours after taking your last dose, you may start to feel some "withdrawal" symptoms...increased anxiety. Not very welcome when you are taking a med for "as needed" basis. Lorazepam, also a short acting benzo, and patients generally begin to feel some relief within an hour of taking the first dose. (normally dosing begins very low, and can be safely increased if necessary.) Basically, when these meds are taken on an as needed basis, you are less likely to have "rebound" anxiety from a dose of Lorazepam, than you would with Alprazolam.

Myself, all meds in this classification were useless, and it wasn't until a doctor decided to try "an old-fashioned, no longer the first choice," med...Valium, that I finally found significant relief. I have been on a daily prescribed dose for some time, and I have a standing PRN order. When a blast of anxiety hits me, a very, very small dose of Valium works very fast...never more than 25 - 30 minutes. It is however, a "Long-Acting" Benzodiazepine.

Hope your anxiety is better...iit is such a horrible feeling.

The Truth is offline New Member

This is the most common practice for a doctor to keep flip-flopping your drugs from one to the other even though they are all in the same class. It is a way to decrease the withdrawals from one drug by replacing it with another. But in the end they are all benzodiazepines and a benzodiazepine addiction is what you have so no matter what drug you end with it will be miserable.
    So as long as the pharmaceutical companies churn out these drugs and doctors are given incentives to prescribe them you won't stand a chance.

philipcfromnyc is offline New Member

Smile Alprazolam versus lorazepam...

Alprazolam (Xanax, Xanor) and lorazepam (Ativan) are very similar in terms of efficacy and therapeutic effects. Both of these benzodiazepines (BZDs) are very potent -- one mg of lorazepam is equipotent to 10 mg of diazepam (Valium), whereas 0.5 mg of alprazolam is equipotent to 10 mg of diazepam (in other words, on a gram for gram basis, alprazolam is 20 times as potent as diazepam, whereas lorazepam is 10 times as potent as diazepam). Both alprazolam and lorazepam are 1,4-benzodiazepines (so-called "classical" BZDs). Most BZDs are 1,4-benzodiazepines, and the numerous drugs in this class (including alprazolam, nordazepam, lorazepam, nitrazepam, oxazepam, flurazepam, halazepam, lormetazepam, loprazolam, midazolam, flunitrazepam, prazepam, estazolam, etc.) have various combinations of sedative, hypnotic, amnestic, anxiolytic, anticonvulsant, and muscle-relaxant properties. The 1,5-benzodiazepines, such as clobazam (Frisium, Urbanol) and triflubazam are less sedating, and clobazam has a much longer half-life than lorazepam or alprazolam (clobazam is prescribed in many countries).

Although lorazepam and alprazolam have short half-lives, they differ markedly in terms of their metabolism. The principal metabolite of lorazepam is the glucuronide, which is excreted in the urine as lorazepam glucuronide. Alprazolam, on the other hand, is hydroxylated in the liver to form hydroxyalprazolam, which is much less pharmacologically active than the parent compound. Thus, alprazolam should not be taken together with drugs that burden the P450 cytochrome pathway (e.g., ritonavir); lorazepam is much safer when administered together with such drugs.

Lorazepam is a unique BZD in that it is a powerful anti-emetic; it is therefore used frequently as an adjunctive drug in chemotherapy.

Lorazepam and alprazolam have a relatively high potential for abuse, because of their potency and the possibility of interdose rebound effects. Both drugs pack a powerful and sharp punch; diazepam, on the other hand, has a slower onset of action and a much longer half-life (its primary metabolite, nordazepam, has a half-life of between 30 and 200 hours).

I hope that this information is useful.

PHILIP CHANDLER
    PHILIP

LOTSAPOP is offline Member

Default Xanax compared to valium

I have taken ativan and xanax which i have been taking .5 mg xanax for 3 years and i have have taken 10 mg valium and the xanax or ativan to me dosent even come close to being as strong as valium i can take 4-5 xanax and dont feal anything and take 1 10 mg valium and get very relaxed
    jon11