Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Adderall
    medik8 is offline Member

Default Adderall

Adderall
    Generic Name: amphetamine-dextroamphetamine
    Treatment for: Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity (ADHD) and Narcolepsy

Have you taken or do you take Adderall?
    How did it work for you? Did you experience side effects?

We want to hear your story. Please feel free to share your experiences (good and bad) while taking this drug.

Adderall (amphetamine-dextroamphetamine) is a stimulant and appetite suppressant. It stimulates the central nervous system (nerves and brain) by increasing the amount of certain chemicals in the body. This increases heart rate and blood pressure and decreases appetite, among other effects.
    Adderall is used to treat narcolepsy and attention deficit disorder with hyperactivity (ADHD).

What are the possible side effects of Adderall?
    If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking amphetamine-dextroamphetamine and seek emergency medical attention:
    -- an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
    -- an irregular heartbeat or very high blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision); or
    -- hallucinations, abnormal behavior, or confusion.
    Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take amphetamine-dextroamphetamine and talk to your doctor if you experience
    -- restlessness or tremor;
    -- anxiety or nervousness;
    -- headache or dizziness;
    -- insomnia;
    -- dryness of the mouth or an unpleasant taste in the mouth;
    -- diarrhea or constipation; or
    -- impotence or changes in sex drive.
    Amphetamine-dextroamphetamine is habit forming. Physical and psychological dependence may occur with the use of this medication, and withdrawal effects may occur if you stop taking it suddenly after several weeks of continuous use. Talk to your doctor about stopping this medication gradually.
    Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

Consumer Information at
    http://www.drugs.com/adderall.html

PDR Professional Information at:
    http://www.drugs.com/pro/adderall.html
    Last edited by ddcmod; 07-29-2008 at 01:02 AM.

Vanna is offline New Member

Out of all the drugs I've tried for my ADHD, Adderall simply works the best.

mrtoledo is offline New Member

Seems to work good. I am taking Adderall XR. Notice some highs and lows througout the day. (part of the extended release function). Seem a little jumpy and impaitient at times. Somestimes hard to sleep at night.

nakedangel76 is offline New Member

My son took Adderall for a while. In the begining it was great. I thought we had finally found the help we had been looking for. After about two months I started to see some changes in him that were just NOT him. He became very angry and everything made him mad. Even to ask him to get ready to go outside and do something that he wanted to do was asking WAY to much. He would lash out at his little brother and would even try to hurt him when he thought no one was looking. Needless to say we took him off it and are now looking for something that would help him better. In the mean time I'm going NUTS!!! LOL!!! I know there has to be something out there. WE just haven't found it yet. If anyone has any good information on anything else I would love to hear from you. Thank you!

nakedangel76

mstech_04 is offline New Member

How do they diagnosis patients with adhd before putting them on adderall? Do they have to show certain signs first, like continual visits from doctor. Does coming off use have to be titrated?[?][?][?]

dothinking is offline New Member

I need to confirm a generic pill for Adderall 10 mg that looks as follows:

round blue, has letter E and 111. The back is a cross.

Somehow feel different effect taking this generic. Does anybody feel a difference between generics and the brand names?

Thanks.

quote:Originally posted by nakedangel76

My son took Adderall for a while. In the begining it was great. I thought we had finally found the help we had been looking for. After about two months I started to see some changes in him that were just NOT him. He became very angry and everything made him mad. Even to ask him to get ready to go outside and do something that he wanted to do was asking WAY to much. He would lash out at his little brother and would even try to hurt him when he thought no one was looking. Needless to say we took him off it and are now looking for something that would help him better. In the mean time I'm going NUTS!!! LOL!!! I know there has to be something out there. WE just haven't found it yet. If anyone has any good information on anything else I would love to hear from you. Thank you!

nakedangel76

sorry for the reply without text.
    My son is taking Stratera replacing Adderall for 2 months. So far so good.

quote:Originally posted by dothinking

quote:Originally posted by nakedangel76

nakedangel76

willowbreeze is offline New Member

I take Adderall XR 5mg. It lasts 12 hours for me. I take it around 9am and 9pm. I actually sleep better when I take it than if I don't. I am definitely of the hyperactive motor type of ADD. When I take Adderall at bedtime I stop tossing and turning and can fall asleep easier and sleep sounder. I was diagnosed ADHD at age 36. I am 51 now. My 25 year old son also takes Adderall XR. His wife says he's much easier to live with when he takes it.
    The thing about taking any stimulant medication is that you have to be sure that you actually have ADD or narcolepsy. If what you have is actually a bi-polar condition, or Tourette's, or a type of pervasive personality disorder, the drug can potentially make things worse. Somtimes it takes a while for doctors to figure out who has what.
    Also, you don't have to taper off of the stimulant meds because they are not stored in the body. You are not building up bloodlevels over time like Prozac for instance. They are metabolized by the kidney, not the liver, and are cleared out of the body completely in a short time anyway. Which accounts for the rollercoaster effect as the drug kicks in and wears off each time.

Kalii is offline New Member

Somehow feel different effect taking this generic. Does anybody feel a difference between generics and the brand names?

Thanks.
    Kalii

Kalii is offline New Member

Sorry-about that my computer got ahead of me. I have been taking Adderall 10 mg since June 2004 and tried the generic twice. The first generic was made by Abrika Pharmaceuticals and it was a round blue pill that had F 10 on one side. I had good results with this. In July, when I refilled my script I was given the generic that was made by BARR Laboratories, Inc. This was an oval blue tablet. (Side 1: b/972, Side 2: 10) I immediately noticed that there was little to no effect after taking them and they did little for me.
    quote:Originally posted by Kalii

Thanks.
    Kalii
    Kalii

studentnurse is offline New Member

My son, age 7, was prescribed Adderall XR last year and took it for the entire school term. When summer got here this year, I decided to give him a break from it because he was not eating and was exhibiting signs of depression. Since stopping the medication, he has smiled more and been a much happier child. My husband and I have debated on starting him on another medication. However, since school started, the teachers are having problems with his impulsive behavior, even in a small group setting. Today, I contacted his Dr. and we are starting him on Straterra tomorrow morning. The doctor said that there are less side effects with this medication. I just can't handle him walking around being so miserable. If anyone has any experience with Straterra, please let me know if you have noticed any signs of emotional disturbances.

QTpie_mommy is offline New Member

I'd like to add to the comment on how Adderall affects ppl that do not have ADHD or ADD. My daughter was diagnosed with ODD by one doctor, ADHD by another and a third suggests some other unnamed behavior disorder. Well the one doctor that diagnosed her with ADHD prescribed Adderall for her. The VERY first day she was hearing unknown voices, throwning heavy items at her sisters' faces, trying to throw her shoe THROUGH the television and pounding her head viciously against the walls. Needless to say we have dismissed the idea of her having ADHD and we have yet to give her another dose of that! I was also wondering about Stratera. A young child i used to watch over in the mornings was taking Stratera and Prozac. Is this safe for children?? Any help would be appreciated.

kenoch is offline New Member

We have recently been told that adderall, as an amphetamine, can cause sexual obsession in males. In a brief check on the internet of side effects of this drug, we cannot find this side effect listed. Do you have any knowledge of this side effect of adderall, or could you refer us to any authorities that would support the claim that this can be a side effect of this drug?

Thanks very much.

kassland is offline New Member

My 11 year old son has taken adderal for over a year and I did think it worked well. However lately (within last 6mnths) his temper flares easily and he has wild mood swings. He is often disrespectful and mean to his 4 year old sister. I can't figure out if this is a side effect of the med or a problem child. Does anyone know if a higher dose could help or have any ideas? I was offerd stratera but was concerned about the need for it to build up in his system and worried about the effects of missing a dose. We often go the weekends without the adderal. His mood is improved but he is out of control hyper. I Don't know if the better mood is because he didn't take it ir because the weekend is typically more fun and no school. Any ideas would help. Thanks.

ladyz4real is offline New Member

Hi --

i don't think there is a generic for Adderall on the market. I wonder what you're taking?

mildaru is offline New Member

I have an 11 year old son who was at a young age diagnosed with autism and ADHD. We decided to try Adderall last year. For the first month or so, things went smoothly. He then started to get severe headaches which we were able to treat with OTC meds. Things were going WONDERFULLY at school. We did notice a slight change in his appetite for a few weeks, but not so much that it was of great concern. He takes 30 mgs a day, in the morning. However, I do not give it to him on weekends. Most of his behavioural problems were at school, not at home. His speech has vastly improved, his attention span is greater than my own sometimes!!, and all seems to be going better than expected. He did have a problem with sleepless nights. We contacted out pediatrician and he suggested supplementing with Clonidine - 0.1 mgs. Half in the morning, half at night, just before bedtime. That helped calm the mood swings and he sleeps as well as he did before starting this medication.

mstraple is offline New Member

A couple of months ago I had just gotten off of Adderall, the generic form (Amphetamine Salt Combo). I had taken it for 2 years. I usually explained it to people as "COKE IN A PILL". I lost 20 lbs. due to the extreme appetite supressant it had for a "mild side effect". It jacked me up so bad that I would start to pass out every time I stood up from sitting down. My mouth was always uncomfortably dry. The only good side effect it had was that it made me clean the hell out of my house! I got to the point where I became very addicted to it. I couldn't do anything constructive unless I took an Adderall. And when I was coming down from it, I was so irritable and angry at everybosy and everything that I just had to sit in my room by myself or I would go in to a rage.
    I got prescribed to Adderall by telling my psychiatrist that I couldn't pay attention at work or remember what anybody told me. All I really wanted it for was to lose a little weight, but I ended up looking anorexic. Anyways, I told him those BS symptoms and filled out a survey provided by Shire Pharmaceuticals ( the maker of Adderall)and I had a 60-day supply 30 seconds later.

shamegirl is offline New Member

Ritalin comes in generic form and that's what you may be taking........

HOW ABOUT ASKING A PHARMACIST WHAT YOU'RE TAKING!!!!!!!!!!????

I dont have any children but as an adult suffering from depression and what my psych md claims is ADHD I can honestly say that there are too many drugged up kids out there......!!!!

Of course there are a lot of children that suffer and need some sort of medication but it seems that the medical community and the change in our culture with regards to parenting (working too much, not enough family time) people are looking for a "quick fix" to a child that could quite possibly just be starving for attention.

I was thrown into gifted and talented classes all through my school career, when my dr. found this out but also found out I struggled to get through 2 years of college he said I probably had ADHD for years and now because of it, my job has suffered, my interpersonal relationships are suffering and ultimately I'm in a deep depression now.

Thanks for letting me ramble. If it were my child I would get 10 opinions before giving them any kind of mind-altering drug. Do we know what happens to these children in adulthood? Can they come off of this stuff?

What ever happened to the days of getting a shot of penicillin when you were sick and when you were rambunctious in class or home you were disciplined...........nowadays, I go to supermarkets and parents are letting their kids run the show, tearing up/down the isles, carrying on..........I'm only 33 and I have vivid memories that my mom would NEVER stand for that behavior.......we didnt even TRY IT!

There's no fear or conscience anymore so instead to control these kids that are out of control, we drug them up........nice.

mstraple is offline New Member

I WAS taking the generic form of Adderall; NOT Ritalin. I had the name wrong. It is actually Amphetamine-Dextroamphetamine Sulfate.

ricoca is offline New Member

Actually I think the question would be first what are you taking it for? since it is something you take for eiether narcolepsy or for A.D.D. Narcolepsy for those who don't know is adaytime sleepiness disorder, I know because I have it. I've had it so far fo almost 4 years, I've taken adderall for a little over three. I liked it better than what I am on now, except for the fact that I had to stop using it after so long because I was starting to have high blood pressure. I am know taking provigil, the doctor says it's safer on the body, but you better have so good insurance it's expensive, I have to take 3 - 4 a day and my bottle ccosts me about$620.00, thank God for insurance

borcutt is offline New Member

FYI. Just to raise your level of awareness..... What the doctors often forget to do is to take the time to give an accurate diagnosis before giving medication. Adderall is a stimulant and stimulants should not be given to people without investigating certain kinds of mood disorders and/or a family history of mood disoders and mental health issues. It can induce mania in someone with genetic predisposition to bipolar disorder. It induces mania--anyone see the movie The Shining. Sleeping with the Enemy, Cape Fear? Quite frightening to persoally witness behavior like that. All because the doctor didn't take time to get a detailed family history or to have a psychological evaluation. Always a good idea to have a psychiatrist prescribing drugs, not GPs.

Marshal is offline New Member

I am a 27 year old first year medical student who was diagnosed at 12 with ADHD. I took Ritalin for 9 years, then spent 18 months unmedicated. I then visited a physician and was prescribed adderal, I finished school and joined the workforce for 2 years. During that time I was unmedicated. I then visited a physician after realizing that I needed to treat my disability to achieve my goals. I was prescribed adderal XR, and currently take 15mg of Adderal in the early morning, then a 30mg XR Capsule mid morning. I am waiting for a break in school to attempt a trasition to Stratera, but am nervous. I would be happy to answer any non medical questions about my experience, and would like to share experiences with other adults treating their ADHD

saraspot is offline New Member

Hello - my 42 year old husband has just been diagnosed by our psychologist with adult ADHD. He is recommending 20mg Adderall and has instructed my husband to make an appointment with his physician to obtain a prescription.

This morning I've been reading about the side effects and dependency issues of amphetamines. I'm extremely nervous about him taking this drug. He works for a shipping company hauling and transferring jet fuel and home heating oil for two week shifts. He holds a Coast Guard license and is subject to random urine drug testing. I'm sure when he informs his employer that he is on a prescription medication for his disorder, it will be noted in his chart, but I worry about the side effects when he's working with heavy machinery on a six hour on/six hour off schedule.

Is this simply a recipe for disaster???

Thanks so much for your help.

bionictrip is offline New Member

This is in fact a generic form of adderall.
    http://www.eonlabs.com/catalogdetail...aid=0000000265 is a picture
    Dextroamphetamine and Amphetamine Mixed Salts
    PRODUCT DETAIL
    NDC #: 0185-0111-01
    Generic for: Adderall ®
    Strength: 10mg
    Form: Tablet
    Shape: Round
    Color: Dk. Blue
    Rating: AB
    Size: 100

Thanks.

Nomi is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by borcutt

FYI. Just to raise your level of awareness..... What the doctors often forget to do is to take the time to give an accurate diagnosis before giving medication. Adderall is a stimulant and stimulants should not be given to people without investigating certain kinds of mood disorders and/or a family history of mood disoders and mental health issues. It can induce mania in someone with genetic predisposition to bipolar disorder. It induces mania--anyone see the movie The Shining. Sleeping with the Enemy, Cape Fear? Quite frightening to persoally witness behavior like that. All because the doctor didn't take time to get a detailed family history or to have a psychological evaluation. Always a good idea to have a psychiatrist prescribing drugs, not GPs.

Yes, this happened to me. In fact, it was a new phychiatrist who definitely DID know that I had a history of manic depression, but somehow made the terrible mistake of prescribing Adderall to me for what she thought was a mild case of ADD. That was in May 2002. I am still today, 2 1/2 years later paying an almost unimaginable price. After a 14 year complete remmission from any symptoms whatsoever, I immediately went into a hypomanic state after my very first dose of Adderall. Despite discontinuing the drug, my hypomania lasted 5 months and was followed by depression so severe that I had to leave my home, my dear husband and my career to move back into my Mom's house because I could no longer take care of myself or be alone for extended periods because of accompanying extreme anxiety. It is now two years after the depression hit and I remain nearly incapacitated. We have tried many many therapies including 9 drugs, CBT, ECT and 10 or so alternative therapies. My depressions when I was much younger lasted about four or five months. I was treatment resistant then too, but the depressions lifted on their own. This one, perhaps because it was drug induced and not "natural", has not yet subsided. So, yes, I second the caution about taking Adderall or any stimulant if you have any history of mania or manic depression. It has for me and my family been unspeakably devastating, a nightmare that continues indefinitely.

maidenspg is offline New Member

I've taken Adderall for over a year for much different reasons than most of you.
    I have MS with cognitive problems that make it difficult to organize my thoughts, word finding in simple conversations and also a very common MS problem, fatigue. Adderall has been invaluable for the fatigue problem! I still have the cognitive problems when under extreme stress, but for the most part, I'd say that Adderall has been successful for me overall for the purposes prescribed.
    Additionally, of course, I take Lexapro for depression that is common with MS and buspar for anxiety problems. Perhaps it is the carefully concocted balance of medications (by my neurologist and a psychiatrist who is used only for managing the "chemistry" expertise of mood altering pharmaceuticals) that has made my experience good with Adderall -- at least for the symptoms for which it's prescribed.
    I did have dry mouth for the first 2-3 weeks, but that has resolved itself. It's no longer a problem. I've not experienced any of the "listed" possible problems other than that.
    I had no idea that there was a generic for Adderall! Wow! I'm surprised that my blessed insurance for pharmaceuticals has not called that to my/my doctor's attention! (They reallllly want to save the bucks on the retirement plan's contribution...for which I cannot blame them. I will say that our plan is cooperative if the prescribing MD insists that the generic doesn't work as well. Yes! We are blessed!)

Kristin is offline New Member

WAS ANYONE AWARE THAT THE FDA DOES NOT ADVISE TAKING ADDERALL OR ADDERALL XR FOR LONGER THAN 6 WEEKS BECAUSE THERE ARE NO STUDIES DONE LONGER THAN THAT.

It is true. Look it up at the FDA site, or in the PDR.

ANYONE OUT THERE TAKING ADDERALL, EITHER BRAND OR GENERIC, NEEDS TO DO SOME RESEARCH. This is only my opinion. I am not a doctor. I was prescribed 160mg of Adderall 4 1/2 years ago and then basically left on my own. I went in to pick up my prescriptions every 100 days and that was it. My horrific side effects I was told were from things unrelated to the medication. I recently (6-8 weeks ago) learned what an extremely high dose I was prescribed. When I called the doctors office...well, he had left the state....I don't know how messed up I am because of it. Shortly after I was given my initial prescription, the manufacturers of Adderall got in trouble with the FDA for false marketing....

Additionally, there is have been lawsuits against the manufaturers of Adderall for not being honest about the harm it can do!!!!

I am copying/pasting info from www.nathaniellives.com. I have found this info to be accurate and correct.

Review of FDA Regulatory file, NDA 11-522 Obetrol (n/k/a Adderall)
    The regulatory history for the amphetamine mix now marketed as Adderall dates back to 1960, when NDA #11-522 was filed for a drug known as Obetrol. The drug was marketed by the Obetrol Division of Rexar Pharmaceuticals, without FDA approval, for obesity. Early on in the process the spectre of drug-induced psychosis raised its ugly head. For example, the Panel on Psychiatric Drugs expressed concern about dosages, noting that amphetamine psychoses have occurred at doses as low as 60 mg/day.
    The Commissioner of the FDA withdrew the NDA application in 1973 because Rexar had failed to conduct adequate and well controlled double blind studies, and had failed to demonstrate either efficacy or safety. However, the FDA let the matter ìslip through the cracks and Rexar continued to market it, on a very low sales effort basis, for the next twenty years.
    Nearly two decades later the drug resurfaced. In February 1994 Richwood Pharmaceuticals (the precursor of Shire Richwood) purchased Rexar, changed the name to Adderall, and began marketing it for ADHD. The September 1994 edition of the Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry touted the drug as a unique once a day alternative for the treatment of ADHD. This got Richwood in hot water with the FDA, which issued a warning letter on October 24, 1994, because of the promotion of an unapproved drug.
    On that same day, Dr. Paul Leber of the FDA wrote to The Medical Letter about a forthcoming article promoting Adderall. He recommended that toxic psychosis and cardiovascular effects probably deserve mention in the paragraph on adverse effects. In subsequent meetings with the FDA, Richwood acknowledged that their advertising campaign had been misleading and pledged to correct it. Richwood removed the drug from the market while it tried to clean up its
    regulatory problems and some problems with chemistry. The old NDA was reactivated.
    On January 24, 1996, Dr. Leber recommended that the FDA approve the drug, but cautioned that it should NOT [be] marketed under the name, Adderall because Adderal [sic] is the name under which the sponsor illegally distributed and promoted this product prior to the time the sponsor, at our demand, stopped distribution. Inexplicably, however, when the Agency finally approved the drug a few weeks later, on February 13, 1996, this condition on approval was not included. With that approval in hand, it hit the ground running. And its promotional efforts since that time have been a monumental success. By the end of 1999 it had captured 28% of the burgeoning ADHD market in this country and boosted Shire Richwood's revenues to over $400 million per year

For a reality check, go to

www.nathaniellives.com or

www.prozactruth.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast