Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Adderall
    AmandaSloane is offline New Member

I am a 17 year old girl that just started taking adderall xr 10 mg yesterday. anything i should know ? does it really make you lose weight ? and is 10mg going to do anything for tests like the SATS??
    right backk guys
    thankss

nemashim is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by jellister

I'm 20 and just started taking adderall 2 weeks ago for narcolepsy. I'm on birth control and have still been spotting ever since...any other women experience this?
    I don't really have an answer to your problem, just wanted to let you know that it happens to me too. I've been on adderall for a few years and started taking birth control exactly one year ago. Maybe I would have spotted anyways, but the first 6 months were excruciating and I still haven't normalized. I also think that the birth control messed with the effectiveness of Adderall.

box0286 is offline New Member

To all,

I appreciate the info I have gleaned from this forum. For those of you who have posted your personal stories and challenges; and even offered help, I am grateful.

I'm the type of person that doesn't want to lose control, be tricked or made the fool. With that in mind, I have had an amazing 5 days on Adderall. I have BiPolar disorder coexisting with ADHD. We have addressed the BiPolar with Depakote for the past 6 weeks...I am finally getting relief from my mania (massive irritability). We waited to address my distractibility issues with Adderall until now. I have to say it's been a strong start...and I actually feel peace, rest and clarity. It's been years since I have been able to say that (I'm 30).

What a relief.

Still, I am concerned it's not gonna work the way it has this week over the long haul; especially after reading over the past couple years of posts on this site.

I'll drop in a post every now and then to up to date the site on my journey. I have hope...my medical team tells me I am treatable and have every reason to expect health over time. I think I trust them...

Like many of you, I am longing for freedom and health.

--Another partner on the adventure towards health.

swb

Daniel501 is offline New Member

Hi, all- I was taking generic adderall (mixed amphetamine salts), produced by Barr laboratories. Then my discount pharmacy switched to a generic made by Ranbaxy labs. Two things: first, the Ranbaxy adderall feels different somehow. Not as "in control" as the Barr meds made me feel. Second, the Barr labs adderall had a sweet taste to them, almost like there was sugar in them. I can only guess that that is the Amphetamine saccarate part. The Ranbaxy pills have NO sweet taste. Does anyone have an explanation, or similar experience? Thanks in advance!!
    One more thing: the Barr labs pills were a dark blue. The Ranbaxy pills are a light, almost violet color.

pharmvictem is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by Fightingillini

About 3 weeks ago my psychiatrist just started me on Adderall XR (for adult ADHD). She is working me up to 100MG all taken in the morning (that's 5 20mg pills).

Does this seem a bit too high to anyone else? she said it can take a high dose for adult males. I am a pretty big guy, tall and about 225 lbs., mid 20's. I thought the max dose was 60 mg...

Any ideas? I've also been started on Effexor. She gave me Xanax to take short term also...I feel like I'm being over prescribed.

Oh, and with the Adderall XR, I have ZERO appetite. I have to force myself to eat, eating is actually very unappealing. Dry mouth is getting better though.
    That does seem a little high of a dosage. I am 6'3" 205lbs. They started me on 10MG and have stayed there. I would also do some research about Effexor before taking it for a long time. I belive it is an SSRI like Paxil. I have been on Paxil for 7 years and I am having a really hard time getting off of it. Be very careful with all this stuff.

addmom27 is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by pharmvictem

About 3 weeks ago my psychiatrist just started me on Adderall XR (for adult ADHD). She is working me up to 100MG all taken in the morning (that's 5 20mg pills).

Does this seem a bit too high to anyone else? she said it can take a high dose for adult males. I am a pretty big guy, tall and about 225 lbs., mid 20's. I thought the max dose was 60 mg...

Any ideas? I've also been started on Effexor. She gave me Xanax to take short term also...I feel like I'm being over prescribed.

Oh, and with the Adderall XR, I have ZERO appetite. I have to force myself to eat, eating is actually very unappealing. Dry mouth is getting better though.
    That does seem a little high of a dosage. I am 6'3" 205lbs. They started me on 10MG and have stayed there. I would also do some research about Effexor before taking it for a long time. I belive it is an SSRI like Paxil. I have been on Paxil for 7 years and I am having a really hard time getting off of it. Be very careful with all this stuff.
    Well I maybe able to help with this. I also am on Adderall and I have done quite a bit of research before starting this medication. I would ask the pharmacy where you get this filed about taking the other meds with the Adderall but I know that for an adult the max is 300mg a day. Take a look at this link it maybe able to answer your questions. With all medication you should take precaution and only take it as the Dr. prescribes. Also, there are risk with any medication you take right down to Tylenol. You even have to take precaution in taking that so I feel if it helps make this life just a little more normal for someone others should stick with taking care of themselves.

addmom27 is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by addmom27

quote:Originally posted by pharmvictem

Well I maybe able to help with this. I also am on Adderall and I have done quite a bit of research before starting this medication. I would ask the pharmacy where you get this filed about taking the other meds with the Adderall but I know that for an adult the max is 300mg a day. Take a look at this link it maybe able to answer your questions. With all medication you should take precaution and only take it as the Dr. prescribes. Also, there are risk with any medication you take right down to Tylenol. You even have to take precaution in taking that so I feel if it helps make this life just a little more normal for someone others should stick with taking care of themselves.
    Sorry, here is the link. Have a good day!

mhds.state.nv.us/pdfs/MHDSFormulary.pdf

carrie22 is offline New Member

There are many different generic adderalls. i have blue, orandge, and more recently pink (40mg)

quote:Originally posted by ladyz4real

Hi --

i don't think there is a generic for Adderall on the market. I wonder what you're taking?

ihvsrvivd.yahoo.com is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by saraspot

Hello - my 42 year old husband has just been diagnosed by our psychologist with adult ADHD. He is recommending 20mg Adderall and has instructed my husband to make an appointment with his physician to obtain a prescription.

This morning I've been reading about the side effects and dependency issues of amphetamines. I'm extremely nervous about him taking this drug. He works for a shipping company hauling and transferring jet fuel and home heating oil for two week shifts. He holds a Coast Guard license and is subject to random urine drug testing. I'm sure when he informs his employer that he is on a prescription medication for his disorder, it will be noted in his chart, but I worry about the side effects when he's working with heavy machinery on a six hour on/six hour off schedule.

Is this simply a recipe for disaster???

Thanks so much for your help.

quote:Originally posted by mildaru
    I have been taking Adderall for a year and half. It is not working anymore. Especially the motivating factor. When I don't take it, I just want to lay in bed. My doc. put me on Wellbrutrin 100 mlg, Strattera 40 mlg, clozapan @ night and during the day on Adderall.
    I have to get up. Does anyone have any ideas. I really liked being fogus and motivated. Diagnosed ADD, Anxiety disorder. I am also a 45 year old women. It seems what the adderall is doing is giving me hot flashes. Help me please
    pooped

I have an 11 year old son who was at a young age diagnosed with autism and ADHD. We decided to try Adderall last year. For the first month or so, things went smoothly. He then started to get severe headaches which we were able to treat with OTC meds. Things were going WONDERFULLY at school. We did notice a slight change in his appetite for a few weeks, but not so much that it was of great concern. He takes 30 mgs a day, in the morning. However, I do not give it to him on weekends. Most of his behavioural problems were at school, not at home. His speech has vastly improved, his attention span is greater than my own sometimes!!, and all seems to be going better than expected. He did have a problem with sleepless nights. We contacted out pediatrician and he suggested supplementing with Clonidine - 0.1 mgs. Half in the morning, half at night, just before bedtime. That helped calm the mood swings and he sleeps as well as he did before starting this medication.

quote:Originally posted by jossquartz
    Can you help me manage the adderall better. I take 20 xr 3 times a day. Some days I take twice that much. It does not seem to be working well anymore. You made a comment that its a scary drug.
    It is because I am scared that if it does not work, my life will be like it was before. I am ADD, BPD, Anxiety disorder. It really helps with motivation. I cannot get anymore. When I don't take it, I am depressed, unmotivated,(all day in bed). Help pleas
    Pooped

i have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder with schizophrenic tendencies, and while adderall sometimes makes my highs a little higher, i never get that depressed. i've been on it for about 6 months now, and except periods of time that i dont take it (about a week before my new prescription) i always find that im productive. i take 20mg twice a day of XR, although there have been times that ive taken double that at once. yes i am a drug user, both legal and illegal, sometimes for recreation. sometimes i do find myself thinking that i cant do anything without my wonder drug, or 6 hour coke high in a capsule, but its only because my thoughts become so clear that i get everything done. its a scary drug, and i definitely do get prickly skin, hot/cold flashes and sometimes confusion among other things. however the pros still outweigh the cons for me.

Jeesus Cryst! THREE HUNDRED MILLIGRAMS A DAY?! I once saw a guy take three hundred mgs of Adderall XR in a day and he was having seizures all over my living room floor. He didn't sleep for about three days. I was reading about the initial testing of Adderall, though, and the researchers were feeding test subjects about five hundred milligrams a day without fatalities. Wow. I imagine that would be a pretty crazy night.

Jesus Christ will help you through. -Betsy

hll
    hll is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by maidenspg

quote:Originally posted by SublimeKid

I have been taking Adderall for the eight years. I just relized just yesterday that if i go a day without adderall.. the next day I get ill. I think i have developed an addiction to it. is there any way to stop this addiction with out just stoping cold?[?]

*Michelle*
    "You're a butterfly in the wind without a care"
    I'm surprised that you either didn't read material on the medication or ask your prescribing physician about it before you swallowed the first dose! Adderall is a Schedule II med upon which one will become quite dependent. You shouldn't stop taking it abruptly, but taper off of it with the knowledge and the supervision of your doctor. To do otherwise would be risky indeed, Michelle. When taking mood altering medications one can hardly afford to be "a butterfly in the wind without a care". [:0]
    Some people come on here seeking help..or they ask questions they do not feel comfortable asking their physician...do not take that away from them with your sarcasim!!!

carrmal08 is offline New Member

yeah, i take adderall xr, and i've been on it for about half a year, and it does nothing for me. i take it in the morning, 30mg, and by 6pm i'm tired. I take it for depression purposes, to give me energy and help my motivation. But yeah, it doesn't do anything for me except keep me awake. It doesn't help me focus, it doesn't make me happy, i don't get any sort of high. I've been on prozac, strattera, welbutrin, and i felt no different. I had been on these medications for 6 months to a year, so i gave it time to take effect. But yeah, they didn't help at all. Does anybody have any idea why nothing helps me? Oh, and by the way, I took 150mg or 180mg this morning, and now my heart is like, skipping beats, and it beats really, really fast. Earlier, i thought i was going to pass out, and i started to turn a bluish-purple color.

brcave042503 is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by Nomi

quote:Originally posted by borcutt

FYI. Just to raise your level of awareness..... What the doctors often forget to do is to take the time to give an accurate diagnosis before giving medication. Adderall is a stimulant and stimulants should not be given to people without investigating certain kinds of mood disorders and/or a family history of mood disoders and mental health issues. It can induce mania in someone with genetic predisposition to bipolar disorder. It induces mania--anyone see the movie The Shining. Sleeping with the Enemy, Cape Fear? Quite frightening to persoally witness behavior like that. All because the doctor didn't take time to get a detailed family history or to have a psychological evaluation. Always a good idea to have a psychiatrist prescribing drugs, not GPs.
    Yes, this happened to me. In fact, it was a new phychiatrist who definitely DID know that I had a history of manic depression, but somehow made the terrible mistake of prescribing Adderall to me for what she thought was a mild case of ADD. That was in May 2002. I am still today, 2 1/2 years later paying an almost unimaginable price. After a 14 year complete remmission from any symptoms whatsoever, I immediately went into a hypomanic state after my very first dose of Adderall. Despite discontinuing the drug, my hypomania lasted 5 months and was followed by depression so severe that I had to leave my home, my dear husband and my career to move back into my Mom's house because I could no longer take care of myself or be alone for extended periods because of accompanying extreme anxiety. It is now two years after the depression hit and I remain nearly incapacitated. We have tried many many therapies including 9 drugs, CBT, ECT and 10 or so alternative therapies. My depressions when I was much younger lasted about four or five months. I was treatment resistant then too, but the depressions lifted on their own. This one, perhaps because it was drug induced and not "natural", has not yet subsided. So, yes, I second the caution about taking Adderall or any stimulant if you have any history of mania or manic depression. It has for me and my family been unspeakably devastating, a nightmare that continues indefinitely.

sleepysheep is offline New Member

I've taken Adderall for over a year for much different reasons than most of you.
    I have MS with cognitive problems that make it difficult to organize my thoughts, word finding in simple conversations and also a very common MS problem, fatigue. Adderall has been invaluable for the fatigue problem! I still have the cognitive problems when under extreme stress, but for the most part, I'd say that Adderall has been successful for me overall for the purposes prescribed.
    Additionally, of course, I take Lexapro for depression that is common with MS and buspar for anxiety problems. Perhaps it is the carefully concocted balance of medications (by my neurologist and a psychiatrist who is used only for managing the "chemistry" expertise of mood altering pharmaceuticals) that has made my experience good with Adderall -- at least for the symptoms for which it's prescribed.
    I did have dry mouth for the first 2-3 weeks, but that has resolved itself. It's no longer a problem. I've not experienced any of the "listed" possible problems other than that.
    I had no idea that there was a generic for Adderall! Wow! I'm surprised that my blessed insurance for pharmaceuticals has not called that to my/my doctor's attention! (They reallllly want to save the bucks on the retirement plan's contribution...for which I cannot blame them. I will say that our plan is cooperative if the prescribing MD insists that the generic doesn't work as well. Yes! We are blessed!)
    the/sleepy/sheep/sleeps/zzzzz

sleepysheep is offline New Member

YES, THE ADDERALL HELPS WITH MS !!
    I have just been diagnosed with probable MS. MRI says yes, symptoms say yes, getting more tests done in January..having the symptoms of brain fog and word-finding since 01/2006 (12 months later, the white coats are finally listening to me!) and this incredible debilatating fatigue that literally eats your life away. Anyway, I had been tested for narcolepsy/sleep apnea recently, which were negative/no problem; but my doc, seeing the absolutely lightning speed at which I started going downhill in September prescribed Provigil. When that seemed to work for only 4 to 5 hours, she prescribed Provigil/Adderall combination with Provigil first/Adderall 4 hours later. For the MRI testing and to make sure the neurologist saw the complete symptoms, I even went off both meds for a while. I tried NOT to go back on either of them; but it was senseless and so was I. So, I have gone back to the Provigil/Adderall combo. It helps quite a bit. I have found if I "skip" the Provigil, the Adderall will only help if I take it at the very 1st sign of fatigue; any later and it is useless; and even then, it only lasts 3-4 hours. If I take the combo with Provigil first, it helps with the brain fog and word-finding, then the Adderall later on helps me to not get so disabling with the fatigue so quickly. Sometimes the rug still pulls out from under me, especially if I am stressed, but with the combo, I can make it sometimes through even 8 hours. I see the doc in 2 weeks and I hope to up the dose on 1 or both to try to get to 10 hours, even if I have to take another one of them 4 hours after that Adderall. If I did not work from home and have such good support from my boss, I would be disabled and homeless right now!! And yes, I do the generic Adderall and it seems okay. Absolutely no effects like I am reading about, but I keep a very close eye on my labs since I am so autoimmune depressed anyway and I self-monitor for mental status changes. Have you noticed any changes in your labs? Have you tried the Provigil with the Adderall? The Provigil is not so toxic and it DEFINITELY helps the brain fog lift, especially 1st thing in the morning. Hope all goes well with you. I am glad to hear someone else doing Adderall for the MS and that it is working for them; helps me know what direction to lean. Thanks. {:-)

I've taken Adderall for over a year for much different reasons than most of you.
    I have MS with cognitive problems that make it difficult to organize my thoughts, word finding in simple conversations and also a very common MS problem, fatigue. Adderall has been invaluable for the fatigue problem! I still have the cognitive problems when under extreme stress, but for the most part, I'd say that Adderall has been successful for me overall for the purposes prescribed.
    Additionally, of course, I take Lexapro for depression that is common with MS and buspar for anxiety problems. Perhaps it is the carefully concocted balance of medications (by my neurologist and a psychiatrist who is used only for managing the "chemistry" expertise of mood altering pharmaceuticals) that has made my experience good with Adderall -- at least for the symptoms for which it's prescribed.
    I did have dry mouth for the first 2-3 weeks, but that has resolved itself. It's no longer a problem. I've not experienced any of the "listed" possible problems other than that.
    I had no idea that there was a generic for Adderall! Wow! I'm surprised that my blessed insurance for pharmaceuticals has not called that to my/my doctor's attention! (They reallllly want to save the bucks on the retirement plan's contribution...for which I cannot blame them. I will say that our plan is cooperative if the prescribing MD insists that the generic doesn't work as well. Yes! We are blessed!)
    the/sleepy/sheep/sleeps/zzzzz

jisenhower1 is offline New Member

ive been dealing with adderall issues for a while. to the poster who said he/she is taking 100 mg a day of adderall, i had an experience when i first started taking ritalin which was similar. i was on celexa at the time, and once i began ritalin i took more and more of it, up to 120 mg a day ( way too much ). once i came off my celexa, 10-20 mg was enough for me a day. i believe that antidepressants can cause issues with stimulant tolerance, although it could differ in different people.
    ive found a great difference in the generic barr ( the most common one
    pharamacies seem to have ) , and the Shire "real" adderall.
    anyone else out there have the same intolerance of the generic?
    at this point, due to problems also with the Shire ( zero appetite, sleep issues ), im considering going down to the 5 mg Shire white adderall, although im really confused about this whole scenario....

jennyniffer is offline New Member

the generic for Adderrall is Ampehetime Salts. I used to take that now I take name brand, I love it. Without it I am completly "absent." But no better a speller

Hutch1ns is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jisenhower1 View Post
    ive been dealing with adderall issues for a while. to the poster who said he/she is taking 100 mg a day of adderall, i had an experience when i first started taking ritalin which was similar. i was on celexa at the time, and once i began ritalin i took more and more of it, up to 120 mg a day ( way too much ). once i came off my celexa, 10-20 mg was enough for me a day. i believe that antidepressants can cause issues with stimulant tolerance, although it could differ in different people.
    ive found a great difference in the generic barr ( the most common one
    pharamacies seem to have ) , and the Shire "real" adderall.
    anyone else out there have the same intolerance of the generic?
    at this point, due to problems also with the Shire ( zero appetite, sleep issues ), im considering going down to the 5 mg Shire white adderall, although im really confused about this whole scenario....
    Two years ago (after taking 30MG a day of Adderall for 5-6 years for school) I started taking zoloft. After 4 months, I was taking 120MG a day of Adderall, sleeping every other day and in a complete manic state. I 100% agree that anti-depressants will make you need more Adderall.

Luckily I've been off the Zoloft since last summer and doing better (only take 60-70MG a day of Adderall.) I've been taking serequel (50mg bedtime) Trazadone (50mg bedtime) and Depakote (500mg bedtime) along with the Adderall since the summer. I've been doing better, but still not feeling like I did before I started on all these meds. After talking with my mom and a little bit with my doctor, I'm coming off of the seroquel tonight and hopefully the Depakote and Trazadone in 2 weeks. I'll be taking .5-1mg of Ativan to help me sleep, as I used to do this and I didn't get the HORRIBLE seroquel hangover. I truly believe I've been misdiagnosed as bi-polar and feel it's more ODD and ADD than anything. I have history of bi-polar on my mom's side but after trying so many meds that have only made things worse, I feel that I've been misdiagnosed. I've never had any testing and everything has been done based on symptoms. In the hospitol they said I showed NO signs of being bi-polar, which my mom reminded me of the other day.

debiam is offline New Member

Default adderall has helped alot

my son takes adderall and I was very wary of any medication when he was first diagnosed ADHD back in 1998. He originally took plain dexedrine with a small doseage of chlonodine for the impulivity. He changed to adderall when he was 12 yrs. old and took the extended release for one school year but opted to go back to the regular pills and has been doing fine. As for it's addictiveness, I have seen him miss two or three days in a row and he's fine. This is a kid that takes one 15 mg. pill every morning and that is it. So my experiences have been very positive thus far and hopefully will continue to be in the future.

thimbal is offline New Member

I don't even know how to retrieve answers here, to read the posts people reply to. But I've got the same question too. I'd like to know how long it takes adderall to leave the body... About three weeks ago I took 1 pill. Now I've got to look for a job! They are asking for drug testing and I'm afraid they will find this in my blood or my urine.... somehow.. if you've got any info. could you write me back I'm "thimbal"
    Last edited by thimbal; 05-14-2007 at 12:29 PM.

Shir is offline New Member

I was diagnosed with ADD about 1 & 1/2 yrs ago. I am almost 59 years old & for the first time in my life I can focus, I can stay awake while driving, I am not forgetting easily, etc., etc., etc. because Adderall XR 15 mg has been helping me tremendously!
    My concern is this: I am moving to San Jose, Costa Rica in one year from now. Will I be able to obtain the Adderall XR there - does anyone know? Is it a prescribed medication there and about how much does one month's supply cost? I take one capsule daily.
    I would appreciate any help in this area. Thank you so much!

3j'smom is offline New Member

Default Adderall Dosage Change - HELP!

I was prescribed Adderall xr 20mg once a day last week. I took it as prescribed all week & haven't noticed a change AT ALL. I do notice some slight side effects that I had researched - ie. dry mouth, headaches with first 2/3 days dosage, slight decrease in appetite. But NOTHING with the ability to focus, better attention span, easily distracted, etc. ALL symptoms still there.

What is the next step in this process? My psych. said the results from the adderall would be IMMEDIATE and I should notice the difference after the first dose - NOT. & My family Dr. who prescribed it hasn't returned my call yet. I asked when I picked up the script when I should notice a difference or know if the drug was WORKING and they told me to give it a week. So - it's a week later & I haven't noticed ANY POSITIVE EFFECTS on the 20 mg dose. What is the dosage schedule for the Adderall XR for adults? I am a 36 y/0 female 5'8" 170 lbs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

alenacres is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    I had the test, which the doctor says he has to study some more. But I got the prescription, and although it's only been two days, I feel much better. I'm not nearly as depressed, got my Christmas shopping almost done (I started late, which I almost never do, so I mut have been depressed). I had trouble sleeping last night, but I took my pill quite late. It was pretty early this morning-so we'll see. The test was only copying shapes and drawings. BTW, I'm 51, obviously older than a lot of you. If there' anyone else over30 or so, I'd appreciate hearing your experiences. 'bye for now

yours in freedom,
    Legend
    Can you tell me more about the test?

nicholtstamm is offline New Member

My daughter who is 9 has been taking Adderall 10mg for about 7 months now. We have had good results with this medication for her ADD/ADHD. My niece also takes it, only in 15mg. Works for her also. Neither of them has had any side effects. Without this medication for my daughter, I think I would go insane. There is a dramatic change in her grades in school. The only thing I don't understand is why she doesnt have to take it EVERY day. They say to give it to her only when she needs it, like at school or a family function. She has ADD/ADHD every day. Whats the deal with that? Just take it whenever?

n'sfishbowl is offline New Member

syntheticsue-

I have had the same problem with the picking but with hairs instead. I actually have always gotten a little obsessive with picking out certain hairs but could stop and have gone long periods of time without doing it. Now since I have started the adderall though. Its gotten out of hand.
    Im 22, just started the adderall a couple weeks ago. I started upping the dosage though and this week i have spent hours a day picking at hairs, (this is gross I'm sorry) and when I cant get to the hair I just keep picking and rip up my skin so I have a bunch of sores. Not all over my body but in a few places that are easy to hide. Its so hard to stop though, and while im doing it its almost impossible to actually think clearly about the fact that this is not something I should be doing. Once I do get distracted by something and stop though I'm so repulsed and afraid.
    I think Im going to just really lower the dosage. Maybe I raised it too quickly? If it continues though I'm gonna try something else.
    I talked to someone else about this and her daughter had the same problem, she said other stimulants didnt cause this to happen to her so, maybe that is the answer.

Default Adderall is safer than Aspirin and Acetaminophen

DISCLAIMER

The purpose of this article is to educate. This article does not constitute medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and is not a substitute for examination, testing, diagnosis and treatment, by a qualified, licensed health care professional.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adderall, Ritalin and other psychostimulant medications, for ADHD, are safer than Aspirin, Acetaminophen and automobile travel. The annual risk of being struck by lightning is 33 times higher than the risk of a serious cardiac event, for adults, treated with psychostimulants.
    Psychostimulant medication reduced the risk of substance abuse by 85%, in a study of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, ADHD. Joseph Biederman, MD, Timothy Wilens, MD, Eric Mick, ScDv, Thomas Spencer, MD, and Stephen V. Faraone, PhD. Pharmacotherapy of Attention-deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Reduces Risk for Substance Use Disorder PEDIATRICS Vol. 104 No. 2 August 1999, p. e20 (This article is available in PDF format, at pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/reprint/104/2/e20)

The following tabulation helps place these risks in perspective

Annual risk per 100,000 persons or patients :

Adults without high blood pressure, psychostimulant fatalities, 0.05/100,000

Adult psychostimulant fatalities, 0.125/100,000

Psychostimulant fatalities per patient, (includes children) 0.18/100,000

Psychostimulant adverse cardiac events, (includes children) 0.56/100,000

Being struck by lightning, 4.2/100,000

spam fatalities per patient, 5.0/100,000

Auto travel fatality risk, 16/100,000

Alcohol use, in last month, 183/100,000

>>>>>> use, in last month, 190/100,000

Fatalities/acetaminophen overdose, 360/100,000

Auto property damage collision, 10,000/100,000

Methadone was a factor in the deaths of 2,992 people in 2003, up from 790 in 1999, according to an analysis of death certificates conducted by the National Center for Health Statistics for the Gazette-Mail.

Between 1999 and 2003, 25 people had died suddenly, and 54 suffered serious cardiac events such as a stroke, heart attack, hypertension or arrhythmia, while taking psychostimulant medications. healthyskepticism.org/library/ref.php

Methadone is obviously more deadly, than psychostimulant medications.

About 2.5 million children and teens take ADHD medications. Most of the drugs contain methylphenidate, found in Ritalin and Concerta and many generic ADHD medications. An estimated 1 million adults also use psychostimulant medications. (The National Institutes of Mental Health estimates 68 % of adolescents with ADHD continue to experience adult ADHD) healthyskepticism.org/library/ref.php Using these numbers, the probability of a cardiac fatality was 0.18 in 100,000, annually, for patients using Ritalin, Concerta or Adderall, during the 4 year reporting period. This fatality rate is much lower than the fatality rate for spam, aspirin or automobile travel and less than the probability of being struck by lightning.

The Association of Reproductive Health Professionals cites a mortality rate of five per 100,000 for spam, the erectile dysfunction drug.

Another common activity, with a higher fatality risk than psychostimulant medication is automobile travel. Although motor-vehicle accidents claimed 43,300 lives in 1996, the rate per 100,000 Americans has dropped significantly in the last two decades because of safer cars, safer roads, and efforts to curb drunk driving, says Alan Hoskin, manager of research and statistics at NSC. The 1996 rate of 16 automobile travel deaths annually per 100,000 population was down 18 percent from 1986, and down 41 percent from 1966 defendu.com/realrisk

The Toxic Exposure Surveillance System (TESS) for 2003 showed an increase in acetaminophen poisonings with 40,833 accidental overdoses leading to 147 fatalities. Acetaminophen produced 360 deaths/100,000 overdoses.

Our 80 year lifetime probability of being struck by lightning is 1 in 3,000. lightningsafety.noaa.gov/medical.htm
    A 1 in 3,000 risk, in 80 years is a 4.2 per 100,000 annual risk of being struck by lightning and much higher than a 0.18 in 100,000 annual risk of a cardiac fatality, on psychostimulant medication. Our risk of being struck by lightning is much higher than the risk of a cardiac death, from psychostimulant medication!

How much sleep are you losing, worrying about being struck by lightning?

The clinic uses highly accurate diagnostic questionaires for Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). These diagnostic screens were developed by renowned neuropsychiatrist, Daniel Amen, MD. Dr. Amen refined these questionaires using clinical research and SPECT brain scans. We frequently confirm our Attention Deficit Disorder and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder diagnosis with neurotransmitter testing for homovanillic acid, phenylethylamine and hydoxy indole acetic acid. We monitor our patients for cardiovascular complications-our Detox patients receive Electrocardiogram testing. How many physicians prescribing psychostimulants obtain electrocardiograms and neurotransmitter tests, on their patients?

Our Adderall patients are seen, at least every sixty days. If every physician and methadone clinic tested patients as thoroughly, medication side effects would decrease.

The FDA warning does not distinguish between Ritalin which significantly increases norepinephrine and Adderall. Norepinephrine elevates blood pressure and cardiac risk. High blood pressure, usually decreases with medication discontinuation.

Although the clinic believes Adderall medication is very safe when used properly, for Attention Deficit Disorders, we do recommend nutritional therapies including high dose EPA and DHA essential fatty acids, tyrosine, phenylalanine, mucuna, S-Adenosyl Methionine, folate, and ferrous bisglycinate supplementation, based on test results. Thyroid hormone supplementation can reduce attention deficit disorder symptoms, when patients are hypothyroid. Deprenyl (Selegiline) medication can also enhance dopamine levels and reduce attention deficit disorder symptoms.

Food and food additive allergies and nutritional deficiencies also can cause or aggravate Attention Deficit Disorders. One of our Attention Deficit patients tested allergic to Yellow #5 food dye, in a serum immunoglobin test. Many of our patients with ADD/ADHD have low ferritin levels, especially if they suffer from restless leg syndrome. Increasing ferritin nutritionally can reduce Attention Deficit Disorders, if ferritin level is low.
    ____
    _
    Last edited by ddcmod; 05-08-2009 at 06:29 PM.

binnerboo is offline New Member

alright i am new too this. My son just started on his adderall xr. I know the doctor said it will take a few days for his system to see the benefits but after the 1st pill I am worried about giving him anymore. basically my question is has anyone had an effect like these and did they keep happening or go away once their system was used to it? He was hyper but depressed. My son is 8 and I have never seen i child the was so depressed anything would make them cry. He was hyper with it but more of a mentally hyper like his focussing had gotten way worse but he was physicall more calm. He also was only able to sleep for 4 hours and that was because i made him lay down with me and sit still. If this is normal with the start plz tell me how long this lasts cuz to be honest an insomnic emotional ball of goo is not what i was hoping for.

P.S. My son on a daily basis is happy and sleeps 9-10 hours a night due to the activities he does.

Dimplez626 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jellister View Post
    I'm 20 and just started taking adderall 2 weeks ago for narcolepsy. I'm on birth control and have still been spotting ever since...any other women experience this?

Wow, I didn't even put the two together. I am 31 and just started taking Adderall 20mg about two weeks ago. I am also on birth control pills. I started spotting on the third day of taking adderall, which was a week earlier than I should have. I have been spotting ever since. I would have never put the two together until reading your message.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast