Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 262
Like Tree17Likes
Xanax Withdrawal
  1. #211
    murugappan_rm51 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    20

    Smile

    Hi Challis,

    Its now 4 days since i dropped the xanax completely. So far the only symptoms i face are "shooting" dizziness in the early morning and late evenings, occasional shooting pains here and there, loss of sleep at night. Slight palpitation occasionally but not as bad before. In short nothing severe or frightening. Did not experience any brain fogginess or mood swings as Mini encountered.

    The sweating has stopped, sensitiveness is gone and anxieties are occasional. In fact, I just did a tooth crowning yesterday and there was no anxiety or sweating. Appetite is back to normal and no nausea at any point.

    Otherwise, I feel better than when i took xanax and no more unnecessary worries creeping into my head. I feel much more relaxed than i was before. I have working long hours on my computer and have not lost focus like i used under xanax. It makes me wonder why I took xanax in the first place.

    If this keeps up, I am looking forward to a normal life within the next 2 weeks or so. There were many health problems that i used to get while i wan under xanax but now they all seem to have disappeared. I guess they were all created by xanax. Sigh! What a useless drug this one turned out to be.

    Glad I am out and hope to see you out soon, buddy. Keep to your idea of the 0.125mg as that actually tones your brain and gets it prepared for complete stoppage of xanax. Eager to hear from you on your progress.

    Take care. Muru

  2. #212
    murugappan_rm51 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    20

    Red face I have dropped Xanax successfully

    This is part of my continuous update on my xanax tapering/weaning. I was on 0.125 mg once a day and my last dose was 9 days ago. I have completely dropped xanax since then. By tapering in smaller decrements i can assure you the withdrawal is bearable and nothing severe except in the initial stages when it takes a bit of getting use to. Each time when i dropped to the next lower dose, the symptoms will repeat and no news ones turned up. The intensity of the symptoms is always the same. So all it need is getting use to it and tolerate.

    Since I dropped the drug 9 days ago, the following is what i experienced:

    (1) Palpitation - initially was throughout the day and then slowly subsided to once or twice a day especially in the morning and late evenings but always within acceptable limits of 50 to 90. So no worries. If it exceeds see the doc and get beta blocker for a few days. It will subside.
    (2) Dizziness - occurs in flashes once in a while but lightheadedness occurs more throughout the day. Its sort of like the feeling we get after 1 or 2 beers. Nothing serious except have to watch your step getting over staircase. Driving is not a problem but suggest limit most to day time.
    (3) Light sensitiveness - moving from a dark to lighted or vice versa can give flashes of unsteadiness. So when you move from one lighting to the other wait in the other area for a while and acclimatize your eyes and steady yourself.
    (4) Muscles and joint pains - occasionally especially in the mornings only Not severe just mild stiffness in joints and muscles. Please make sure you do exercises (not rigorous) regularly. This really helps.
    (5) Body Sensitiveness - this is new which i did not experience when i dropped dosage. The body can be very sensitive to touch and sends mild electric shocks to your brains. Sometimes it is fun to feel this. I could feel the wind touching my skin more than before and feels like chills sometimes. An ant climbing your hand feels like a spider. This is what Mini was mentioning as loss of perspective.
    (6) Sweating - occasional, usually when there is anxiety but not for long period like i used to when i was tapering the dosage.
    (7) Insomnia - still experience loss of sleep but not falling asleep. Its just that i cannot stay asleep. There is an improvement in this respect though. Previously, i could not stay asleep after 2am but now I wake up and go back to sleep in 1 hour intervals until 5am. I do feel fatigued at the end of the day but not severe. Something is better than nothing.

    With the exception of the above, all other symptoms do occur but in a mild and infrequently that sometimes i dont notice them. I assure you that there is no noticeable psychological changes or symptoms after i dropped the xanax completely. Feel fine, perhaps feel better than when i was treated with xanax.

    So folks dont give up. Take it easy, rest, tolerate and take your time (this is important, dont rush your body). You will succeed. Take care. I will continue to update over the next 1 month.

    Muru )

  3. #213
    slosippa is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    new orleans,la
    Posts
    5

    Exclamation I feel your pain

    When i was 20 years old i was placed om xanax and i really did need them.this was in year 2000 and i was Rx'd sixty(60) 2mg xanax tablets every two weeks along with soma and lortabso in one month i would be Rx'D 120 xanax 2mg bars. well,i was running out wayy early.xanax did ease the everyday pressures of "life"and it would just break the monaty...i was taking approx 6-10mgs in one day! i was totally losy and confused and my girlfriend and mother and all the people i loved were there.i felt i OWED it to them and myself to chill out.

    i read the ashton manual and it worked wee for me but it a VERY LEGNTHYprocess. dr.heather ashton is a awesome benzodiazipine addiction specialist and if you can follow her program,it'll work..he plan is ,say for example i take 8mgs a day...one week one...i would take 7 3/4mgs for a full week. week two:i would take 7 1/2 mgs supplemented with 10mg of diazeapam..snd so on. so you can see how hard it is...betoxing from opiates is a "walk in the park" compared to a benzo withdrawl....dont forget the name...HEATHER ASHTON.

    http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha02.htm


    READ THAT LINK ! its helped me alot!...and GOD BLESS

  4. #214
    murugappan_rm51 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    20

    Default

    READ THAT LINK ! its helped me alot!...and GOD BLESS[/QUOTE]

    Hi thank you for posting the update. Frankly, supplementing with another benzo is a serious mistake. I am saying this as I have already completely stopped xanax with very little painful withdrawal symptoms. All I did was to reduce the dosage by 0.125mg every two weeks or until the symptoms stabilize. The last remaining dose of 0.125mg i kept it going for a month and by that time the brain knew that there is no more xanax. Then i dropped my last dose completely without any major withdrawal symptoms. Never used any supplementing benzos at all or, for that matter, any supplements like melatonin at all.

    All you need in the entire programme is the obsession to succeed,

    Take care.
    Muru )
    Last edited by ddcmod; 03-22-2012 at 09:29 PM.

  5. #215
    murugappan_rm51 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Hi All,

    This will be my last update. I have successfully dropped xanax for the last 23 days. My last dose of 0.125mg was on the 28th of February 2012. Since then all my symptoms have slowly gone or are very minimal. The only withdrawal symptoms still persisting are:

    (1) Insomnia - in my case falling asleep is no probem but staying a asleep after 2 to 3 hours is the real problem. The next day i feel slightly fatigued. A point of note here is that i have had this trouble prior to taking xanax. Hence the need for xanax.
    (2) Lightheadedness - this one is there throughout the day and I am convinced that this is a result from lack of sleep. No problem driving or working.
    (3) Sensitive body - get startled easily and body senses are at peak. Even a gentle rub of one hand on the other i feel the sensation manifold greater than normal. It shoots up to my head. Wind from a fan feels chilly.
    (4) Nausea - only occasional but no more serious or severe.
    (5) Coordination - this is a bit out at times. Eg. I want to take A but my hands reaches for B nearby. When i want to press a button on the ipad i press the other one beside. Minor problem.
    (5) Muscle twitching - occasional muscle twitching in the legs and hands but its feels fun.

    Other than those above, there are no more symptoms and feel fine.

    On the bright side of things, I notice the following:

    (1) Blood test - on a full blood test last week produced some surprising results. My liver functions have all returned to within normal values. Meaning, my liver is no longer clearing toxic material and my body pains are almost gone. My urine is now always clear.
    (2) Supplements - I have dropped all artificial supplements.For the needs, i check out food sources containing the supplements and take them in my normal diet. That includes vitamins.

    How i weaned this drug off was to reduce the dosage by 0.125mg every two weeks or when the symptoms stabilize. I held on to the last 0.125mg dose for a month and then dropped it totally. The only thing that happens is that at each drop of dosage the same symptoms reappear and peak after 3 days. Subsequently after a week the symptoms stabilize and subside. That's when I drop to the next lower dose. Those who are taking doses three times a day, i suggest drop the dose on all three not just one otherwise the weaning will be longer and pain will have to be endured more. This actually creates some depression that things are getting worst and also creates a tendency to give up. One thing though. i did not resort to supplementing to another benzo such a vallium because the agony of weaning of another benzo was frightening.

    I hope all my postings have helped you so far. I assure you that it really really feels good giving up this poison. Just imagine, some of the ailments i had and paid huge sums of money for treatments and tests were actually caused by this damn drug. Now its all gone.

    Take care.
    Muru )
    Last edited by ddcmod; 03-22-2012 at 09:29 PM.
    ballerbill2 and bklynkat76 like this.

  6. #216
    bklynkat76 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1

    Unhappy So afraid

    Helllo,

    I'm so afraid of getting off Xanax especially after reading all of the withdrawals that can possibly happen. The seizure part is VERY scarey. I tried once before for 3 days and I was shaking. My eyes felt like they were going to pop out of my head. I felt like a junkie (not that I know how that feels) But I guess I kinda do know how it feels because I had to put myself right back on it. I was wide awake. My heart was racing. I'm seeing a new Dr. & he prescribed me Depakote which is for my anxiety & BAD TEMPER. I feel so much better on that. I feel and see a BIG difference in my behavior. I don't snap so easily and want to punch someone out. Now tonight I didn't take my Xanax or Ambien & I'm wide awake. I DON'T want to take those pills anymore. I'm thinking now that they are doing more harm to me & my body then help. I've been on these pills for a few years now so I now it's going to be hard. I stopped drinking everything in general for almost a month & I feel great about that,but now I need to get this under control. I didn't think this was an addicting drug because I onlt take it a bedtime to relax & sleep,but now I know it is. Any suggestions that will help me STOP!


    Thanks

  7. #217
    Challis99 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bklynkat76 View Post
    Helllo,

    I'm so afraid of getting off Xanax especially after reading all of the withdrawals that can possibly happen. The seizure part is VERY scarey. I tried once before for 3 days and I was shaking. My eyes felt like they were going to pop out of my head. I felt like a junkie (not that I know how that feels) But I guess I kinda do know how it feels because I had to put myself right back on it. I was wide awake. My heart was racing. I'm seeing a new Dr. & he prescribed me Depakote which is for my anxiety & BAD TEMPER. I feel so much better on that. I feel and see a BIG difference in my behavior. I don't snap so easily and want to punch someone out. Now tonight I didn't take my Xanax or Ambien & I'm wide awake. I DON'T want to take those pills anymore. I'm thinking now that they are doing more harm to me & my body then help. I've been on these pills for a few years now so I now it's going to be hard. I stopped drinking everything in general for almost a month & I feel great about that,but now I need to get this under control. I didn't think this was an addicting drug because I onlt take it a bedtime to relax & sleep,but now I know it is. Any suggestions that will help me STOP!


    Thanks
    Hi there,
    It's very hard on your system to c/t Xanax. You need to taper slowly. The Depakote is for seizures, too, which can come with too rapid of w/d from Xanax.
    Challis99
    Last edited by ddcmod; 09-14-2012 at 05:53 AM.

  8. #218
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bklynkat76 View Post
    Helllo,

    I'm so afraid of getting off Xanax especially after reading all of the withdrawals that can possibly happen. The seizure part is VERY scarey. I tried once before for 3 days and I was shaking. My eyes felt like they were going to pop out of my head. I felt like a junkie (not that I know how that feels) But I guess I kinda do know how it feels because I had to put myself right back on it. I was wide awake. My heart was racing. I'm seeing a new Dr. & he prescribed me Depakote which is for my anxiety & BAD TEMPER. I feel so much better on that. I feel and see a BIG difference in my behavior. I don't snap so easily and want to punch someone out. Now tonight I didn't take my Xanax or Ambien & I'm wide awake. I DON'T want to take those pills anymore. I'm thinking now that they are doing more harm to me & my body then help. I've been on these pills for a few years now so I now it's going to be hard. I stopped drinking everything in general for almost a month & I feel great about that,but now I need to get this under control. I didn't think this was an addicting drug because I onlt take it a bedtime to relax & sleep,but now I know it is. Any suggestions that will help me STOP!


    Thanks


    The main problem with xanax is that it has such a short half life, only 4-6 hours. Klonopin, on the other hand, has a half life of around 36 hours, and valium has a half life of 50 hours or longer. So these are easier benzos to taper from. You go into w/d with xanax every 3-4 hours, making tapering from it almost impossilble, at the least very miserable. I would get another benzo for the taper like I just mentioned. Also the Depakote that you've been prescribed will help you to keep from having seizures, which happen very often when one tries to taper too quickly off xanax. I really would speak with your dr openly about trying to taper properly off the benzos, but you should do it while using a benzo with a long half life, continue the depakote, but get rid of the xanax. I would refer you to benzo.org.uk to verify what I'm saying, The entire site is based on the benzo detox suggested by Dr Heather Ashton, who is on the first page of the site and is world reknowned in the area of benzo detox. Her Ashton Manual can be used as a guide. I think she stretches the taper out further and longer than is actually necessary personally, but you'll get the idea of what I'm talking about. Hope that helps. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

  9. #219
    Kyle1987 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Hey good luck with this.

    Robert I have read lots of your posts about wuthdrawing from Methadone and wanted to send you a PM but im new here and couldnt figure it out. Im currently on 75 mg have cut down from 140 mg about 5 mg every 2weeks and now dong 5mg every month (lots of stuff going on in my life right now) been prety smooth sailing cuting from 140 to 75. So I wanted to get some pointers from you, im thinking im going keep going down 5mg a month until im at the 20-30mg area and can make the switch to SUB i hope to be completly free of all opiates by end of next august. May 17th im going down to 70mg methadone so next january I wil be at 30 if the 5mg drop continues to go well. Was shooting H from age 19 to 23 cleaned up for 6 months in rehab got out friend OD and died got right back on needle for 8 months and got on methadone for last 6 months, dont want to be on for more than 2 years, cause I know the longer the harder it gets. I know the longer I go the better chance I will never get off methadone so Against doctors wishes I started a very slow tonly 4 months being on the program.

    SOrry for hijacking this thread, once robert sends me a PM I will edit the post.

    Pleae Robert any encouragment would be awesome everyone at the clinic tells me I wont be able to get off without relapse even my counsellor

  10. #220
    Challis99 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    The main problem with xanax is that it has such a short half life, only 4-6 hours. Klonopin, on the other hand, has a half life of around 36 hours, and valium has a half life of 50 hours or longer. So these are easier benzos to taper from. You go into w/d with xanax every 3-4 hours, making tapering from it almost impossilble, at the least very miserable. I would get another benzo for the taper like I just mentioned. Also the Depakote that you've been prescribed will help you to keep from having seizures, which happen very often when one tries to taper too quickly off xanax. I really would speak with your dr openly about trying to taper properly off the benzos, but you should do it while using a benzo with a long half life, continue the depakote, but get rid of the xanax. I would refer you to benzo.org.uk to verify what I'm saying, The entire site is based on the benzo detox suggested by Dr Heather Ashton, who is on the first page of the site and is world reknowned in the area of benzo detox. Her Ashton Manual can be used as a guide. I think she stretches the taper out further and longer than is actually necessary personally, but you'll get the idea of what I'm talking about. Hope that helps. God bless.
    Right, but crossing over to another benzo is only recommended in the case of failed tapers. Going to another benzo brings about its own complications and also has to be tapered. It is very possible to come off Xanax with a slow taper.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 09-14-2012 at 05:55 AM.

  11. #221
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    It's POSSIBLE to taper off anything with a very slow taper. But Dr Ashton doesn't suggest doing xanax tapers, I know for a fact, as it's such a fast acting benzo with a very short half life. Granted she doesn't say that xanax tapers are impossible, but they are surely LIKELY to end up in failure or lots of misery at best for the person doing the taper. She always recommends a crossover to a benzo with a much longer half life than xanax has. I know that I surely recommend doing that!

    It makes no difference to me what anyone does, it's their business. But I've tapered lots of people off benzos, I've had a printed copy of the Ashton Manual for years, and Dr Ashton HATES using xanax to taper from. You are obviously free to do it however you like. I'm saying what is easiest for the person doing the taper and I'm right. Having the personal experience of tapering off a HUGE benzo habit of over 25 years, besides all the people I've worked with on this site, I have a little bit of experience here. No one is obligated to listen to me however. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

  12. #222
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle1987 View Post
    Hey good luck with this.

    Robert I have read lots of your posts about wuthdrawing from Methadone and wanted to send you a PM but im new here and couldnt figure it out. Im currently on 75 mg have cut down from 140 mg about 5 mg every 2weeks and now dong 5mg every month (lots of stuff going on in my life right now) been prety smooth sailing cuting from 140 to 75. So I wanted to get some pointers from you, im thinking im going keep going down 5mg a month until im at the 20-30mg area and can make the switch to SUB i hope to be completly free of all opiates by end of next august. May 17th im going down to 70mg methadone so next january I wil be at 30 if the 5mg drop continues to go well. Was shooting H from age 19 to 23 cleaned up for 6 months in rehab got out friend OD and died got right back on needle for 8 months and got on methadone for last 6 months, dont want to be on for more than 2 years, cause I know the longer the harder it gets. I know the longer I go the better chance I will never get off methadone so Against doctors wishes I started a very slow tonly 4 months being on the program.

    SOrry for hijacking this thread, once robert sends me a PM I will edit the post.

    Pleae Robert any encouragment would be awesome everyone at the clinic tells me I wont be able to get off without relapse even my counsellor



    My experience with methadone is purely from years spent on this forum. Not that I can't help, but in all honesty I would start a new thread of your own, address it in the subject line to Cheeky, as she has been clean for well over a year and a half and did it by tapering off methadone and then following my sub taper plan. She has more personal experience in the methadone area than do I. If you run into a dead end I'll be willing to help, but I know Cheeky would do a bang up job! Tell her I told you to post to her specifically, she is a good person and has been clean a good while doing exactly what you are going through. But you need to get off this big thread where people tend to get lost in the shuffle and post directly to Cheeky. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 04-23-2012 at 07:12 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

  13. #223
    SrqGuy35 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sarasota, Florida
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I am new to this forum...I am 36 years old and started taking Xanax at age 21 due to having my first "panic attack" I was prescribed very small doses to start with, ex: (3) .25mg a day, over the years my dosage increased and so did my dependence, near the end of my addiction I was taking (12) 2mg "bars" a day!!! Yeah I know this is a lot. Not to mention the financial strain this put on my life from not being able to go to work because of the withdrawel simptoms. So in June of 2011 I self admitted myself to the hospital which then the doctors sent me to a detox center where I stayed for about 10 days, the withdrawels were absolutley horrible!!! The nurses at the detox center even said " I would never get off this medicine " So I then agreed to admit myself to an impatient rehab center where I went through 3 1/2 months of unbelieveable withdrawels! But I stuck it out!!! Today I am 11 months and counting off this horrible medecine... Life is great!!!. I go to the gym everyday, I have a full time job and in the process of rebuilding my life! I hope this gives someone some hope that you can do it to! I know everyone is different but anyone thinking about quitting give yourself some time along with medical professionals to give you advice along the way...If anyone needs some advice feel free to ask me...
    Robert_325 likes this.

  14. #224
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    SrqGuy ...... awesome story! You are the exception to the rule my friend! God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

  15. #225
    chellieann is offline New Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default my guardian angel was sent to save me<3

    I know that this post is verrry old but i thought that i would post something for future blog readeris looking for inspiration and help. I am 22 yrs old ive been prescribed xanax since i was 18 after watching my father breathe his last breath... starting from about .25 mg as needed.. as the yrs went on and i realized how much the xanax made me forget about the tragedy i started abusing. Up until Jan 2012 i was taking about 10-12 mg a day.. mind you i was a 100lb 22 yr old. in mid Jan 2012 i ran out of my pills.. i felt like the world was going to end, after only 24 hrs of not having any xanax in m system during work i fell to the floor and went into a full blown grand mal seizure. i of course had no recollection of the seizure or anything before or directly afterwards.. either way, a co worker called 911 and i was rushed off in an ambulence, still not knowing what i was there for. while i was at the hospital and after i came to terms and understandment of what just happend the dr and 2 nurses came in and advised me that my urine and blood pregnancy tests had come back positive. i had no idea what to think! but i soon realized this was all meant to happen, i am now 6 months pregnant with a healthy baby girl who i will proudly giving birth to in sept 2012. im a firm believer in everything happens for a reason, my daughter is the light of my life and i thank god everyday he sent me my guardian angel.. i did have to continue to take the xanax in low doses and ween myself off so i didnt withdrawl while pregnant. all in all xanax is a terrible addiction and really is not worth escaping reality for. i dont remember the past a couple yrs of my life, anybody trying to get off this drug, i would suggest to do it in a safe timely matter, but do it. it basically ruined my life, again until my angel was concieved. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND GETTING AND STAYING OFF THIS DRUG! .. i hope this will help someone out there looking for advice. i know if i had known how much this drug would ruin my life before i started abusing i would have prefered to deal with the stresses of life. love and luck to everyone out there <3

  16. #226
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chellieann View Post
    I know that this post is verrry old but i thought that i would post something for future blog readeris looking for inspiration and help. I am 22 yrs old ive been prescribed xanax since i was 18 after watching my father breathe his last breath... starting from about .25 mg as needed.. as the yrs went on and i realized how much the xanax made me forget about the tragedy i started abusing. Up until Jan 2012 i was taking about 10-12 mg a day.. mind you i was a 100lb 22 yr old. in mid Jan 2012 i ran out of my pills.. i felt like the world was going to end, after only 24 hrs of not having any xanax in m system during work i fell to the floor and went into a full blown grand mal seizure. i of course had no recollection of the seizure or anything before or directly afterwards.. either way, a co worker called 911 and i was rushed off in an ambulence, still not knowing what i was there for. while i was at the hospital and after i came to terms and understandment of what just happend the dr and 2 nurses came in and advised me that my urine and blood pregnancy tests had come back positive. i had no idea what to think! but i soon realized this was all meant to happen, i am now 6 months pregnant with a healthy baby girl who i will proudly giving birth to in sept 2012. im a firm believer in everything happens for a reason, my daughter is the light of my life and i thank god everyday he sent me my guardian angel.. i did have to continue to take the xanax in low doses and ween myself off so i didnt withdrawl while pregnant. all in all xanax is a terrible addiction and really is not worth escaping reality for. i dont remember the past a couple yrs of my life, anybody trying to get off this drug, i would suggest to do it in a safe timely matter, but do it. it basically ruined my life, again until my angel was concieved. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND GETTING AND STAYING OFF THIS DRUG! .. i hope this will help someone out there looking for advice. i know if i had known how much this drug would ruin my life before i started abusing i would have prefered to deal with the stresses of life. love and luck to everyone out there <3


    God does things every day that, for what seems like a strange reason at the time, brings glory to HIM!! YOU have a great testimony! And your baby will have a clean momma! Do you realize how many people's lives that is going to have a positive influence on? He chooses to use us, it's not the other way around. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

  17. #227
    xanaxwife is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I'm so greatful for forums like this where I can educate myself on Xanax use and abuse. I'm not a user myself but am living with a xanax abuser. My husband takes up to 30 sometime 40 or 50mg's of xanax everynight. He uses it not for recreational purposes but for sleep. As Muru said he gets sleep intermittently. After three or four years of abuse he's had severe personality changes. He's become aggressive and violent. But doesn't see how the drug is making him like that.

    After reading all the posts I can understand how the drug works and how to get off of it. What i feel I don't get is how to support someone who's using it.
    1. How do I help my husband see that he has a problem?
    2. How do I help him taper off?

    3. What can I do to support him during withdrawls?
    4. What is the right thing to say or what is the wrong thing to say?

    I feel that sometimes when I'm trying to show him impact of his addiction, he thinks I'm just trying to single him out and degrading him. I love him with all my life and just want to save him before its too late. He's still in denial and refuses to accept calling it an "addiction". I "need" it to sleep is what he says.

    By the way I live in a country where there is little or no education around xanax addicition. Rehab is built for recreational drug addicition and not prescription drugs. Dr's seem quite preplexed and alarmed when they hear of his addiction. 15 day detox is the only solution they can think of.

    Any advice on how to help him come to realisation would be good.

    Xanax wife.....

  18. #228
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xanaxwife View Post
    I'm so greatful for forums like this where I can educate myself on Xanax use and abuse. I'm not a user myself but am living with a xanax abuser. My husband takes up to 30 sometime 40 or 50mg's of xanax everynight. He uses it not for recreational purposes but for sleep. As Muru said he gets sleep intermittently. After three or four years of abuse he's had severe personality changes. He's become aggressive and violent. But doesn't see how the drug is making him like that.

    After reading all the posts I can understand how the drug works and how to get off of it. What i feel I don't get is how to support someone who's using it.
    1. How do I help my husband see that he has a problem?
    2. How do I help him taper off?

    3. What can I do to support him during withdrawls?
    4. What is the right thing to say or what is the wrong thing to say?

    I feel that sometimes when I'm trying to show him impact of his addiction, he thinks I'm just trying to single him out and degrading him. I love him with all my life and just want to save him before its too late. He's still in denial and refuses to accept calling it an "addiction". I "need" it to sleep is what he says.

    By the way I live in a country where there is little or no education around xanax addicition. Rehab is built for recreational drug addicition and not prescription drugs. Dr's seem quite preplexed and alarmed when they hear of his addiction. 15 day detox is the only solution they can think of.

    Any advice on how to help him come to realisation would be good.

    Xanax wife.....



    Xanax Wife ...... Not to question what you've said, but are you sure your husband is taking up to 50mg of xanax each day and not 5mg? A dose of 50mg of xanax is awfully high! It's not impossible, but there is NO WAY anyone taking 50mg of xanax is going to get clean in a 15 day detox from that kind of dose.

    I've done this a long time and have helped lots of people get off xanax. Check that dose please and let us know for sure what we are looking at.

    If he is actually been taking 50mg of xanax a day for that many years he needs to be medically detoxed as he could face all kinds of potentially serious side effects the least of which are the liklihood of seizures. Again, please make sure that dose is correct. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 06-19-2012 at 08:49 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

  19. #229
    xanaxwife is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Yup we're talking A LOT of pills!!! what i see for sure is 21mg - 28mg...but he hides the rest and takes them in the bathroom and flushes the evidence down the toilet. he also claims that different brands affect him differently so 21 in one brand is equivalent to 30 in another. He seems to be concerned about his situation..but i know he thinks that if it hasn't taken him down yet...he's invincible. Almost like he needs to hit physical rock bottom before he wakes up. He is however hitting social rock bottom....he's acting very inappropriately and people don't want him around anymore. I just wish people would tell him that on his face cause when he hears it from me about his behaviour, he thinks I'm making it up and that I'm really person who has a problem.

    We've seen two different docs. Each of whom say the same thing. Get hospitalised for detox....but he's not willing to. His excuse is..my work will suffer if I'm not there. Which is complete garbage becasue he's in debt becasue he sleeps all day and goes to work for two hours in the evening. He has an excuse for every suggestion the doc makes. the bigger issue is he doesn't go to the doc regularly. He goes when the pressure from my side is high and then he doesn't go back for regular visits. And he lies all the time to the doctor.

    He's in denial right now about needing help and no matter what i say to him he blames me for making him take more. I'm just not sure what to say or do to convince him otherwise.

  20. #230
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xanaxwife View Post
    Yup we're talking A LOT of pills!!! what i see for sure is 21mg - 28mg...but he hides the rest and takes them in the bathroom and flushes the evidence down the toilet. he also claims that different brands affect him differently so 21 in one brand is equivalent to 30 in another. He seems to be concerned about his situation..but i know he thinks that if it hasn't taken him down yet...he's invincible. Almost like he needs to hit physical rock bottom before he wakes up. He is however hitting social rock bottom....he's acting very inappropriately and people don't want him around anymore. I just wish people would tell him that on his face cause when he hears it from me about his behaviour, he thinks I'm making it up and that I'm really person who has a problem.

    We've seen two different docs. Each of whom say the same thing. Get hospitalised for detox....but he's not willing to. His excuse is..my work will suffer if I'm not there. Which is complete garbage becasue he's in debt becasue he sleeps all day and goes to work for two hours in the evening. He has an excuse for every suggestion the doc makes. the bigger issue is he doesn't go to the doc regularly. He goes when the pressure from my side is high and then he doesn't go back for regular visits. And he lies all the time to the doctor.

    He's in denial right now about needing help and no matter what i say to him he blames me for making him take more. I'm just not sure what to say or do to convince him otherwise.



    Then he needs to be detoxed properly. I can't tell you how to convince him, unless a dr could get through to him. He is placing himself in danger taking such high doses of xanax. We could help if he wanted to get clean but until he makes that decision for himself he would simply relapse after a matter of days as the w/d would get bad and he would give up. If he will listen I am here to help. If he won't, sadly not everyone makes it through recovery. I would tell you that you should not tolerate it though and not be forced to watch him kill himself while being abusive to you. I would draw a line in the sand and if he crosses it you're better off on your own. Those are the sad facts. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

  21. #231
    Shannon41981 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default so true

    Quote Originally Posted by M Lewis View Post
    Been taking Xanx for 14 years, Have ran my self out a bunch of times. Some of my friends have suffered a minor hear atack from cold turky. My self I have found thst the first day is 0 sleep and only 1-3 hour sleep a day after that. Also found that ALL my sense were applified (hearing, sigh, ect. BUT as for how long does it to take to get past the with draw I have found that after the first 72 hours thing start to look a little better each day and takes me around 3 weeks to fell " Normal " again
    this was very true

  22. #232
    steephenbock is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1

    Cool Help with Klonapin dosage reduction???

    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon41981 View Post
    this was very true
    Hey guys, this is my first post.

    I've been on Benzos for 9 years (I'm 28)... have tried Xanax, Valium, Attivan, and Klonapin (along with SSRI's initially in high school/early college, but they only made my anxiety worse). The only thing that seems to work for me is Klonapin -- I take 40mgs a day (1 morning, 1 afternoon, 2 at night before I go to sleep -- each one being a 10mg). I have really bad GAD and agoraphobia, but I'm trying to cut down on my dosage. I've tried gradually reducing my daily intake and have talked with my doctor about it, and it seems to be working...somewhat -- the reduction of Klonapin that is.

    The only problem is... I'm trying to get off alcohol at the same time. I know it isn't healthy, but when I know I'm going to have some drinks I don't take my medication as prescribed, and it messes with my overall anxiety (which I know isn't healthy, along with combining it with alcohol based on long term effects).

    I need Klonapin for my anxiety, but I don't exactly know how to balance out the two (reduction of Klonapin dosage and completely getting rid of alcohol while being an alcoholic). Been doing much better on the drinking, but I want it gone completely and try to get to a steady, consistent daily amount of Klonapin and avoid alcohol.

    It's really having a negative influence on my overall life and getting rid of alcohol is my first goal, but it's easier said than done. Recently I got a DWI and even though I knew I had a problem before, that was a huge wake up call. I just want to get my life straightened out.

    Anyone who has been through severe anxiety issues while taking Benzos or any other medication to help with it, and dealing with alcoholism at the same time -- advice would be much appreciated.

    Thanks, sorry for ranting and not making much sense but my head is spinning right now with thoughts of how to cope with everything.

    -- Steve H.

  23. #233
    blopar is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3

    Default There is hope

    I just found this forum and it really hits home. I was addicted to xanax for 23 years and my psychiatrist gave me the prescriptions assuring me that it was only a weak dosage and not harmful. My dosage was 4 mg / day but I was soon abusing it and some days took up to 15, getting the extras from friends. I was very stupid for not researching and finding out that it was in fact extremely dangerous and would almost kill me.
    On June 26, 2012 I ran out, and my old shrink had retired (was unavailable) and no one else would prescribe it. By the next day I was suicidal and having most of the withdrawals that others mention. I was first taken to an "emotional wellness center" where they essentially locked me up with no detox meds. Naturally the withdrawals continued and I left the place AMA. I was soon hallucinating and believed that 2 friends were Jesus and God. Luckily my wife and son started researching xanax and got me to a good detox center on July 1. I was literally fighting seizures at the same time as my admission. The nurses put an ice pack on my head and that held off the seizures. They started me on Klonapin (sp?) and I slowly started feeling better. About 5 days later I started with some secondary withdrawals, the main symptoms being that I could not sleep or eat, and my body trembled all the time. It was seriously hell and anyone who takes xanax for any significant period of time should be aware of this. But, as time passed I did get better very gradually. On June 23 I left the detox center, again AMA, and went home. Luckily my wife would let me in the house in spite of the fact that I had lost all credibility.
    I have now been clean for more than 2 and a half months and I now know that I will never take xanax again. I know that I am very lucky to be alive and I feel the best I have ever felt in my life. I still have some withdrawal symptoms.
    Very dry mouth, lots of fatigue, and tremors in my hands. But I can deal with that after finding out that the withdrawals can last a year or more. It helps to know that it is from the xanax and that I am not insane. It also helps to know that there are others out there with similar experiences. There were no other xanax addicts in rehab - it might have helped to have someone I could really relate to.
    Anyway, I just wanted to let people know that there is a way out of the xanax hell. If I can do it (I'm 60 years old), you can do it to. You can absolutely feel better. I would like to make myself available if my experience can help someone going through a detox or otherwise dealing with xanax. It would help me very much if I could help someone else with this problem either by phone or email. I can at least offer you hope. God bless the struggling addict.

  24. #234
    blopar is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Steve H. - I do understand your pain. I will try to help you if you want to call ( 865 546-7095). My advice to you is to get yourself in the best detox center you can afford. I can't see trying to go it alone. When I look back on it I can't believe that I drank while on xanax. Please don't do that.
    Tom S.

  25. #235
    ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,169

    Default


    Dear Tom and Steve,

    I just wanted to pass on a brief word of advice. Do NOT make the mistake of using another addictive substance (booze or another benzo or pill) to help you to get off the xanax. I read the mention of klonopin, and wanted to be sure you haven't replaced the xanax with the klonopin.

    Klonopin is another benzodiazepene drug, same family as xanax - and will bring you to dependency quickly, once you've already experienced it with the xanax.

    Once we are addicted to one mood-altering, addictive substance, we can no longer take ANY other addictive substance in safety. We have the disease of addiction; we do not have just xanax addiction.

    All drugs of addiction operate on the same neural pathway in the brain, and affect the same area - the nuclear accumbens. That area of the brain is not simply a huge aspect of drug addiction, but also controls our motivational and reward systems. The use of any addictive drug (including alcohol) will "tease" this area, and prevent us from full recovery.

    Ruth

    You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.

  26. #236
    blopar is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Ruth, Thanks for the heads up. I replaced the xanax with neurontin which they say is not addicting. Eventually I'd like to get off everything but I don't know if that will be possible. Tom

  27. #237
    Lucaboy is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1

    Smile First time here, Xanax Withdraws

    This is my first time here, and just want to leave a few notes that might help a few people out there. First of all, went cold turkey in march, that was a living hell on it's own. Would not recommend this for any one at all. It will stay with you and the symptoms will take a longer time to get over them. I'm still suffering from them. But, it has gotten better over the months. They are not as strong as they use to be. still ringing in the ears, some panic attacks, but sleeping well these days. Getting around 6-7 hours a nite. There are a few more but will describe them some other time. Just to let you know out there, getting off this Hell of a ?????? Drug wasn't easy. It seems to want to pull you in every time that you want to stop. For me, I just needed to quit it right away. I didn't want this in my system any more. I was given a prescript for sleeping, very bab neighbors kept me up every nite. That's when it began. Was on it for a year an a half, 1 mg to 1 and a half a day. And sometimes 2 mgs a day. It might not seem like a lot, but after it cuts out the Gaba's in the brain, it dosn't matter how much you have been taking. Once the chemical is gone, it's gone. The brain just needs to start producing it again, and that takes time. It could be a couple of months if you taper off, or I could mean a few years. But it will take some time to get there. But it will happen, I know this, because I'm starting to feel better after 10 months. And with a little more time, I should be back to normal in the near future. Positive attitude will help you. But in all, my bad for quiting Cold Turkey. My thoughts are getting better and over all, my health is better also. But many windows have opened, but just have to deal with them.
    Have done a lot of research aboutnthis drug, and just couldn't see why the Doctot proscribed this for me in the first place. Just to let you know, I have an MBA and I'm a State Cerified Contractor, so I should have know better than to take these crazy things in the first place, daahhhh. My wife is a Nurse, let's think about this one right. But in y'all, if a Doctor wants to prescribe this to you, or has already done so, throw away the script, or have them ween you off for your own peace of mind. I can't tell you enough about this Hellist Drug. But will start letting you know about my adventures past and present in a day or two to help you out with your recovery if I can.

    But one thing to remember,,,, You Will Get Better, Just Stay The Course, Okay

    It's 10 months now, and about 75 percent better, and hope that within a few more months, things will be 100 percent. I have too, now I own a recording studio, and have to be able to consetrate better and get my ears working properly.

    If there are any mistakes with the spelling or of me jumping around in my thoughts, please excuse me, my mind isn't working right today, so I call it a minor set back, they will come and go for you too. Just wave them off.

    Keep your head up and thoughts positive and we will get threw this.

    Lucaboy

  28. #238
    days is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Hi, I would appreciate permission to post question regarding possible Xanax withdrawal.

    There are multiple reasons why I'm skeptical that this was a withdrawal. First off, I have a history of mental illness including OCD, Depression, PTSD, and Agoraphobia. Things had been getting worse with my OCD. One of my biggest fears is my health. Different from Hypochondriasis, health-related OCD cannot be alleviated by a clear bill of health. It's an emotional problem; not cognitive.
    Second, it took weeks for anything resembling the symptoms of Xanax Withdrawal to begin; basically as long as I was on it.
    I went through a bout where I abused Xanax for two weeks after the death of my Grandfather. I was taking 2-4mg a day. I don't have a tolerance and feel uninhibited from .5mg of Xanax so this was greatly past the point of therapeutic. I loved my Grandfather dearly and was convalescing from an indescribably bleak eight month bout of Depression when he had passed, only to find my sanity slipping as my OCD became more severe.
    Afterwards I was fine for two weeks time, then took to pills once again for a week or so when I struggled to come to terms with my Grandfather's passing and my own mental fragility. Afterwards I had difficulty sleeping, but that was the only problem I was not used to.
    Two weeks later I start getting slight twitches of my muscles. This is not uncommon during stressful situations, and I was as stressed as I'd ever been. I was constantly worried from my OCD, going over endless dreadful and terrifying possibilities that most likely had never been and would never be. I started to focus on them. Infact, I started to obsess over them. This twitching replaced any other fear my OCD took to. "A moth to a flame" is putting it lightly. Instaneously, I "knew" that I had protracted-withdrawal syndrome and irreversible brain damage. This fear escalated for another couple of weeks until I started shaking all over. My whole body was vibrating; electrified.

    To make this a lot shorter, I suffered a breakdown, was placed on SSRI's and months later hospitalized. I still to this day experience muscle twitching, but also as the Winter has set in, I'm less active and still under constant stress. I did well in the hospital, but the SSRI was making me listless and unappreciative. I wasn't looking at the beauty in the world in the same way, if at all. I went off and now, here I am reading about Xanax Withdrawal again. Would two weeks of heavy usage lead to problems 6 months later?

    I can attribute every symptom I'm afraid of to stress/anxiety, which I am full of. Unfortunately, the symptoms of Xanax Withdrawal are usually brought on by the severity of anxiety felt due to the abrupt discontinuation of the benzodiazepine, so telling them apart, especially for somebody like me, is incredibly difficult.

    I'm still inclined to say I did not withdraw, as Xanax is very short-acting, so I feel that the withdrawal would have taken place sooner than what I refer to as my "breakdown" but secretly fear was Xanax Withdrawal.

    Mostly I'm concerned because I seem duller mentally, but this has only become apparent in the past few weeks and I think it's because once again it is Winter and I have terrible Seasonal Affective Disorder. It always sends me into a massive Depression.

    I am extremely sorry if this is too irrelevent to warrant discussion in this thread. If not, I greatly appreciate any and all feedback. Some times I'm so scared I feel like I'm observing the world from a station somewhere close, but removed nevertheless. This feeling is becoming constant once again.

  29. #239
    tony tony tony is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default

    yeah I totally am going threw the same as you its the worst

  30. #240
    Anonymous Guest

    Unhappy 4 days in

    I am new to 5he community long story short overdosed on xanax 2 times not pretty well I am still perscribed them I take .5 miligrams 3 times daily sometimes 4 o r 5 sometimes 6 came up short for the rest or the month so I am on 4 days of cold turkey I have to say my vision is intense sound I can hear car alarms from a block away but when it gets dark scared to death hallucinations insomnia paranoia if u just kep a clear head and just keep telling yourself it s the medicine u should feel fine during the days is awesome I have a five year old I see him in a whole new light I am enjoying my days without xanax no longer in a haze I hace emotions I did not know I had the night s are horrible

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22