Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
Xanax Withdrawal
    seamellow is offline New Member

Please be VERY cautious taking any benzo>xanax, valium,etc. They are alot harder to kick than >>>>>>. It took 1 1/2 years off my life to kick them.... Prozac is good for panic/depression/OCD. It really does take a number of months for it to work real well, in my experience..... If you must take a benzodiazapine, never take it every day, as you will be hooked in a short time. It does take the anxiety away, but if you rely on this med on a continual daily basis, you will pay hell!! The medical field is really lame about this, and has been lied to. It's all about $$$$$$ PLEASE BE CAREFUL< AND TAKE ONLY WHEN YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO!!! I would have walked straight out the door of a high stress job, if I had known the consequences!!!!!

I've never heard of nose bleeding being a side effect of xanax....The .5 mg dose will soon turn into 1 mg 3x daily, and so forth, as it is a progressively addictive drug that takes more and more to get the same anxiety relief....Some withdrawl symptoms are sleep loss/migraines/mind obsessing/panic attacks/extreme fear/psychosis/tinitus (ears ringing)/convulsions-seizures/bone pain/paranoia/etc.....I had a roomate (in rehab) kicking >>>>>> that felt sorry for me!! I wouldn't wish benzo withdrawls on anyone, except doctors that prescribe it like candy, and those making lots of money on it that couldn't care less about the hell they have/are putting people through!!!

PyraLynne is offline New Member

Thank you for replying.

I spoke with my doctor today. She said to take only when needed, dont take it 3x a day. I dont need it everyday and I spoke with her about the information Ive been finding out, about the addiction and the withdrawls when you stop taking it. She said, and I quote, " I dont know what quacks your listening to but you come talk to me, xanax is fine in moderation, dont listen to those other people." ..and then I told her "ive read the same symptoms of withdrawl in pill prescription books, one that was wrote in the 70's even. Anyhow...I dont plan to up my dosage. I dont plan to abuse my medication and that is not saying that any of you "planned" any of this. I've never been one for pills and now I have more than Ive ever had in my life. Just basic prescriptions like antibiotics and naprosyn for a cyst and now the xanax. I dont take all these pills at once. Anyhow I wanted to ask one more thing...

Zoloft. She offered this to me instead if I felt that uncomfortable with the Xanax. Again I dont know anything about medication like this, Ive always figured you can work out your own issues but when the heart paplpitations started thats when I got scared. If anyone has taken Zoloft can you please provide me with some information on it, I can look it up online but I prefer to hear true/real cases or situations where someone has taken it. Be it negative or positive. IF you do not want to post here you can email me at pyralynne@yahoo.com

Thank you again and I wish everyone who needs help luck

terramuggus is offline New Member

For people seeking information and help in getting off of benzodiazepines, you can go to www.benzo.org.uk and look for the Asthon Manual on the left side menu of the home page. You can also sign up for their forums. The people there are incredibly knowledgeable and supportive.

This website is the largest repository of benzo information on the internet.

Keep in mind that if your doctor does not, or will not support your efforts at coming off, then you should consider seeking legal advice. The prescribing of benzos for longer than 4 weeks is contraindicated by the manufacturers. There are no official medical or government guidelines in the US about prescribing techniques, though there are in several European countries who've already identified their devastating effects on unwitting and damaged patients.

The North American medical community is especially ignorant concerning the protracted withdrawal, and the interdosal withdrawal effects of these incredibly and systemically, neurological polluting drugs.

good luck

terramuggus

morninglory is offline Junior Member

PyraLynne, I have used Zoloft. It seemed to help with depression ONLY. Also, it made me nauseated and I had to keep some crackers on hand for that. I finally stopped it after about 2 months. This specific drug is not usually prescribed for anxiety/panic disorder.
    I now take Paxil CR 12.5 mg. + 1 mg. of Xanax (generic). I feel that I will ALWAYS have to take something for my nerves and GAD.

Good luck to you. If you take the Xanax only when needed you shouldn't have a problem. The problems start when you eat them like candy (some people actually get "high", like doing speed when they take them). I know people like this, it is chemical thing. I am trying to taper off SLOWLY to where I only take the Xanax when I need it. [8)]

Betsy

That is truly a GREAT website mentioned above to help/inform people about xanax, related drugs, addiction and kicking!!...www.benzo.org.uk ...I wouldn't advise anyone to take xanax "when needed", because that could easily mean every day! When I kicked 14 years ago, the demographic was 75% don't make it off benzodiazepines. SERIOUSLY, something much harder to quit than >>>>>>, that took me 1 1/2 years through withdrawl symptoms to be okay enough to work, should NOT be taken lightly!!! You don't hear sane people say, "Just use some >>>>>> when you need it!"....If you are addicted (BE REAL), and when cutting back to almost none find yourself unglued all the time, you will be stuck in perpetual withdrawls the rest of your life!! SORRY, there's no easy way out of this, and just switching to another benzo is like going from >>>>>> to morphine!!..Those starting to use this drug, do yourselves a favor, and take it ONLY if you need to make a speech, important job interview, in order to fly, or when you are completely unglued!! If you're hooked, check out the GREAT benzo site, and get some help!The longer you're on it, the harder it will be to get off!! I don't give a **** if your doctor calls me a quack, I've kicked this stuff despite idiotic doctoral advice!!If your doctor(s) don't understand, find one who does!!!

Seamellow, obviously you have never had a full-blown panic attack.
    I only say take when needed which beats calling the paramedics, going to the hospital, etc. Living in these times with all the stress of a war, gas sky high, wages not keeping up with inflation is enough to give one anxiety! Some people cannot handle the stress and have panic attacks every day. Others have them periodically and they come on suddenly, for no obvious reason; that is the time to take the smallest possible "dose" to cope with this unresonable fear.
    If one can get help from a psychologist or other mental health professional, this would be also be of help. BTW, mental health professionals usually prescribe klonipin or some other anti-anxiety
    medication in conjunction with therapy.[V]

Betsy

Betsy, I have survived/conquered child abuse, drug addiction, a panic disorder, poverty, the suicides of my father, brother, grandmother, cousin, and a good friend....(Also lost a bunch of friends to drugs) I've been clean from coke for 19 1/2 years! I did ten years solid psychotherapy, once I found someone good, so I wouldn't be angry/sad, suffer endless panic attacks, or be addicted to xanax the rest of my life! The local ER knew me and my panic attacks well for years. I am happy and working these days, and not relying on bull**** rationle, medical or otherwise!! It takes alot of work, but what's more important than your life and happiness!!
    tam279 likes this.

I can't say enough about www.benzo.org.uk !!!...If you're on any benzodiazepine, or thinking about it, PLEASE check out this informative site! (WISH IT EXISTED WHEN I WAS ADDICTED!)Finding a good psychotherapist, was key in my overcoming panic attacks. Xanax only helped for awhile, and then I had to spend a year and a half paying hell kicking the drug, much harder than >>>>>> to come off!!The longer you're on it, the harder it is to kick!!Just think, after taking xanax for 8 1/2 years, after quitting for a year, I lost sleep for 22 days!! Dr. Jane Freid has the record (that I know of) at 28!!!If you think panic attacks are bad before taking meds, the ones you'll have in withdrawls are much worse!! That is only one of a gamut of "HORRIFIC" symptoms you'll have!!!At 1 1/2 years before I was okay, because of exercise, I was by far the first in my group to return to my life. Benzos should be triplicate prescribed, like any class three narcotic, because they are more addictive than any other drug!! Don't EVER take a benzo every day!

straightshooter65 is offline New Member

I have seen first hand (my occupation) how nasty benzodiazepine withdrawal can get. This will be the third time I have posted this information, but I feel it's necessary...

Benzodiazepine withdrawal and Alcohol withdrawal are very similar (delirium tremens) and can become a MEDICAL EMERGENCY very fast, especially Xanax. It is not safe to abruptly stop any medication without consulting with your doctor. If you have been abusing them and are reluctant to tell your M.D. this could be a fatal error, you are risking seizures/convulsions and an untimely demise.

Peace,

JD

scruffi is offline Junior Member

What does a panic attack feel like? It is different than the common fear and nervousness of something new, or having to deal with a sudden crisis? My ex had them out of the blue and I could'nt understand what he was going thru.

When I know that I have a stressful situation coming up, I reach for a hydro.

I'd really like to hear a description of what a panic attack feels like. It is a normal reaction to a crisis, or something more irrational?

Panic attacks in my experience are intense spinning out feelings of doom. You really feel like you are dying, and not in a pleasant way! Like everything else in life, it is subjective, and different people experience them in different ways. It can be so bad, you end up in the ER.

My panic attacks started after my brother and father committed suicide the same year. I don't seem to have them anymore, after solid 10 years of therapy, and finding out the hard way that benzodiazepines daily are not the answer. Also you learn to avoid things in life that set you off. Sometimes a valium, etc. is okay, but relying too much on them is a fate much worse than >>>>>> addiction. Finding a good psychotherapist you can relate to is important, and being flexible enough to shift your lifestyle to a way that most exemplifies literally being your own best friend.

My panic attacks are not being able to get my breath, feeling like I am losing control, nausea, sweating, all the symptoms I would associate with a heart attack. I have called the paramedics many times to come to my house and check me out. They check my blood pressure, etc. and tell me I am OK. That ALWAYS calms me down, especially when I see their equipment and know that they are there to help me if I really need it. I take a Xanax at the first sign of
    an attack because they work so quickly. This does not always do the trick, especially if I wait too long to take the pill. I hate panic attacks and wish I knew what caused me to have them. I would give most anything not to ever have another.

Betsy

I remember the feeling I couldn't breathe, and symptoms of a heart attack, when I was having a panic attack. If you put Xanax/valium etc. under your tongue, it will get into your system quicker, and it doesn't take as much to get relief.

RockedByRequiem is offline Junior Member

I have been on some sort of Benzo (Klonopin, Ativan, and Xanax) for nearly two years now, and have finally made up my mind to end it. However, I have never taken it every day for more than a few days to avoid becoming dependent. Instead, I would get my script filled, abuse the hell out of them by taking massive doses every few days, and not have any left after a week when it came time that I actually needed them.

My panic attacks always seemed to be accompained by extreme rage. overwhelming fear and breathing problems always were there, but total loss of control was my biggest problems. I have broken furniture, windows, and even broken my own bones. Pretty scary stuff....however, I have not had an attack like that in quite some time, so I think things are getting better.

Rockedbyrequium, if you are truly off of the of the benzos then good for you! I guess that you know that taking a large quantity for several days and then not having any left could have led to seizures and possibly death! The best way to get off the things is slowly taper off which could take months (some take years). If you feel that you really need to take something then start with the smallest possible "dose" (i.e. 1/2 or 1/4 of what you would normally take). I have been sick with bronchitis and since I am taking antibiotics and prescription cough medicine I have not been taking my small piece of Xanax daily. My doctor also has me on Lexapro which has seemed to help with the anxiety. Good luck to you![8D]

Betsy

Dr.Morninglory, Not once in RockedByRequiem's response does it say they are "truly" off of benzos. What kind of delusional reality do you live in? You offer a lot of advice about something you've never done.(kick benzodiazepines) There is hope though, you will find humility in withdrawals!

sfc420 is offline Member

it sounds like you are a lot like me with your panic attacks - they are just rage fits... benzos cause rebound anxiety and rage so u will get progressively worse when the drug wears off and when u stop having it, especially when ur abusing it. >> say use it for sleep but dont continue to abuse it because a.) it wont work and b.) you will get in trouble with your family, ur docs and ur pharmacy man.

limericklad2 is offline Member

hey folks,

just to say that i was on xanax for 5 years and was getting a kinda withdrawel fromthem most days as they are short acting, and also i was still very much getting panic attacks and anxiety even tho i was taking .500mg 3 times per day but they wernt doing me much good , so after so much reasearcg on this forum,, i aske dmy DR to switch me to ( valium ) and now im feeling back to normal so to speak .. i couldnt do anything be4 as i didnt go out much cos of the way i was badly suffering... now im in the gym and i have started running 5 miles a day and i am out all the time now , my life has gone from being non existent for 5 tears to living a full life!!!!!!!!!! i cant believe it. im so happy, as if i have been born again!!!!
    if anybody has read what i have been tru, i wud suggest asking your DR to switch you from xanax to ( valium ). BUT ASK YOUR DOCTOR 1ST....

I HOPE I HAVE GIVEN AT LEAST SOME OF YE SOME ENLIGHTENMENT

MIKE.
    A FRIEND FROM IRELAND

i forgot to say that i am also slowly weaning myself off the valium....

mike.
    a friend from ireland

quote:Originally posted by morninglory

Rockedbyrequium, if you are truly off of the of the benzos then good for you! I guess that you know that taking a large quantity for several days and then not having any left could have led to seizures and possibly death! The best way to get off the things is slowly taper off which could take months (some take years). If you feel that you really need to take something then start with the smallest possible "dose" (i.e. 1/2 or 1/4 of what you would normally take). I have been sick with bronchitis and since I am taking antibiotics and prescription cough medicine I have not been taking my small piece of Xanax daily. My doctor also has me on Lexapro which has seemed to help with the anxiety. Good luck to you![8D]

Betsy
    Betsy

Seamellow, excuse the heck out of me for not getting the message clear. Sounds like YOU need something to calm your nerves!

Betsy

quote:Originally posted by limericklad2

hey folks,

just to say that i was on xanax for 5 years and was getting a kinda withdrawel fromthem most days as they are short acting, and also i was still very much getting panic attacks and anxiety even tho i was taking .500mg 3 times per day but they wernt doing me much good , so after so much reasearcg on this forum,, i aske dmy DR to switch me to ( valium ) and now im feeling back to normal so to speak .. i couldnt do anything be4 as i didnt go out much cos of the way i was badly suffering... now im in the gym and i have started running 5 miles a day and i am out all the time now , my life has gone from being non existent for 5 tears to living a full life!!!!!!!!!! i cant believe it. im so happy, as if i have been born again!!!!
    if anybody has read what i have been tru, i wud suggest asking your DR to switch you from xanax to ( valium ). BUT ASK YOUR DOCTOR 1ST....

MIKE.
    A FRIEND FROM IRELAND

hey folks,

MIKE.
    A FRIEND FROM IRELAND

pimp4uho is offline New Member

I have been on and off of xanax for the past 10 years getting them from doctors, online, and street sources. I've been through withdrawls probably 50 different times. I never learn...I've been through minor withdrawls and I've been through 2 weeks of hallunications.

For me, the easiest withdrawl was when my doctor moved out of town and my new doctor was an addiction specialist. First thing he did was take me off xanax. I was taking 4mg a day(well, depended on how many I had---some days 10mgs and some days 1mg) for about 2 years. The new doctor started me on a high dose of klonopin at about 8mg a day and dropped it down 1mg every two weeks. I never felt any withdrawl.

If you want to quit, and we all do at some point because after a while you need more and more to feel the same effects and that gets dangerous, my advice is to find a addiction specialist who knows what they are doing. A general practice doctor sometimes doesnt know all they need to. Do not try to quit when there is a lot of stress in your life....quit when your mind is in the "right place"....it will be much easier. As someone said in an earlier post---most of the addiction is in your head.

hey folks,

MIKE.
    A FRIEND FROM IRELAND

Dr. morninglory, It isn't my nerves that need to be calmed, because I like to pop the bubble of drug addict's in denial, like yourself. I'm doing just fine without benzos here. You on the other hand are full of s**t!

Having your doctor switch you from xanax to klonopin or valium, is like being switched from morphine to >>>>>>. You are still just as addicted, and will have to pay even more dues down the line to kick benzodiazepines.

pimp4uho> are you still on klonopin? Excuse me if you are off benzos. My point being switching from one benzo to another to come off is easier, as they did me on librium, after initially phenobarbitol. However, switching from benzo to benzo permanently is achieving nothing. My hope is that all people seriously wanted to stop the addiction can! Those masquerading as experts, who are still addicted, need to know they aren't successfully bulls*****g anyone but themselves!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast