xanax and seizures.
    skbeany is offline New Member

Default xanax and seizures.

i have been on xanax for about 7 years now but i just started taking them regularly about a year ago. sometimes i would skip a night or 2 but i have also been on phentermine for about 3 months. well im on 2 mg xanax and i have to take 2 to 2 and a half. well i didnt take any for 2 nights and this evening i had a bad seizure. my question is has any one else had this happen to them? i went to the hospital and they told me i had to weine off but when i do could i still have seizures afterwards? thanks!

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by skbeany View Post
    i have been on xanax for about 7 years now but i just started taking them regularly about a year ago. sometimes i would skip a night or 2 but i have also been on phentermine for about 3 months. well im on 2 mg xanax and i have to take 2 to 2 and a half. well i didnt take any for 2 nights and this evening i had a bad seizure. my question is has any one else had this happen to them? i went to the hospital and they told me i had to weine off but when i do could i still have seizures afterwards? thanks!

Hi skbeany
    check out this site for benzo detox...it really is a serious matter...
    Good luck and let us know how it goes...

benzo.org.uk

Talk to you later, Melinda

Quote Originally Posted by melinda7.5 View Post
    Hi skbeany
    check out this site for benzo detox...it really is a serious matter...
    Good luck and let us know how it goes...

benzo.org.uk

Talk to you later, Melinda
    thanks for replying. i have been tapering off of the xanax and im down to 1 a night and keep lowering the dose every three nights the only thing im scared of is when i taper of completley if i seizure again but no more so far and im listening to the drs. but thanks for giving the advice you did.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

thanks for replying. i have been tapering off of the xanax and im down to 1 a night and keep lowering the dose every three nights the only thing im scared of is when i taper of completley if i seizure again but no more so far and im listening to the drs. but thanks for giving the advice you did.

Did the dr prescribe any anti-seizure medication like depakote or dilantin? The seizures are a major ongoing potential problem especially during detox off benzos like xanax. If you're not taking anything you should seriously ask the dr about it. I've had seizures from benzo use, I even stroked. I ended up unable to even speak in complete sentences for at least three months. Benzo detox is serious.

The website melinda referred you to is good. Check out the Ashton Manual that is referenced on the home page of that web site - benzo.org.uk. Dr Ashton is a reknowned authority on benzos and the correct tapering methods. Hope you have better luck from here forward. Benzos are DANGEROUS. I was on them for over 25 years. God bless.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 04-02-2014 at 01:17 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

robert325 thank you so much for telling me about your experience. but my question is do you still have seizures? have you had anymore since getting off and did you have anymore after your last pill? my dr didnt prescribe me anything just more and told me to weine off and i have been weining off really fast im down to 1 bar a night and i will take it 1 a night for a week then go to 3 little pieces for about 4 days and so on. im so scared that the night i dont take my last pill i will seizure. i still have the scabs on my feet knees and wrist where i convulsed so hard and it was 2 weeks ago. im just sooo worried that after the last pill i will do it again. but im gonna have to find out i want this stuff so far away from me now but please get back to me and let me know the answers that i asked you. god bless and thank you so much!
    Last edited by ddcmod; 04-02-2014 at 01:16 PM.

robert325 thank you so much for telling me about your experience. but my question is do you still have seizures? have you had anymore since getting off and did you have anymore after your last pill? my dr didnt prescribe me anything just more and told me to weine off and i have been weining off really fast im down to 1 bar a night and i will take it 1 a night for a week then go to 3 little pieces for about 4 days and so on. im so scared that the night i dont take my last pill i will seizure. i still have the scabs on my feet knees and wrist where i convulsed so hard and it was 2 weeks ago. im just sooo worried that after the last pill i will do it again. but im gonna have to find out i want this stuff so far away from me now but please get back to me and let me know the answers that i asked you. god bless and thank you so much!

That is dumb on the part of the dr. You should be taking something for seizures especially since it's already happened. I had more than one seizure. It can happen again and again coming off xanax.

NO ... I'm not still having seizures but I had a few and ended up stroking too. But I've been clean for a pretty long time now. I fully recovered but this is nonsense. You need to either tell your dr to give you something for seizures so it doesn't happen again or else see a dr who knows how to treat addiction to benzos. Seizures can cause you permanent damage or worse!

I would be pi$$ed if I was you. You've already had seizures and they still aren't giving you anything medicinal??? That is stupid. You need to talk to the dr again ASAP. I would INSIST on medication or leave. Let me know how it goes. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    That is dumb on the part of the dr. You should be taking something for seizures especially since it's already happened. I had more than one seizure. It can happen again and again coming off xanax.

NO ... I'm not still having seizures but I had a few and ended up stroking too. But I've been clean for a pretty long time now. I fully recovered but this is nonsense. You need to either tell your dr to give you something for seizures so it doesn't happen again or else see a dr who knows how to treat addiction to benzos. Seizures can cause you permanent damage or worse!

I would be pi$$ed if I was you. You've already had seizures and they still aren't giving you anything medicinal??? That is stupid. You need to talk to the dr again ASAP. I would INSIST on medication or leave. Let me know how it goes. God bless.
    thanks for getting back to me robert. im going to the dr. tomorrow and im going to tell him to put me on something. im so tired of worrying if im going to have another seizure. i have already weined down to 1/3 of a 2mg pill.

You used them for years, it's not even been a month since you started tapering down. You've had a recent seizure. Just based on that alone I can't imagine a dr not giving you something to protect you from more seizures. Let us know what you're told when you go back. God bless.

poop4brainsp is offline New Member

Hi! I have been taking around 1 mg-2mg everyday for about a month now or maybe a little more. Am I at risk for seizures? I want to get it down to no more than 1 mg everyday or every other day. Any suggestions? I am not under the care of a doctor because mine started recreational. I am just worried that I can get to a point where I am in real trouble with this. I am ready to make sure I don't get to that level of real danger. I only use to take them here and there for fun maybe 2 mg tops. But never consistently and never everyday! Then my job got very very stressful and I started taking 1 mg to start my day and 1 mg to go to bed. That's been happening for about a month or so. Any suggestions, without judgment please, are welcomed! Thank you

No judgements here. That's not what we try to do. I actually commend you for realizing NOW that you need to stop.

Xanax when prescribed shouldn't be used for over a month or so. You're actually right at where you should be stopping now even if the xanax had been from the dr. I'm not condoning using the xanax recreationally but I've certainly done worse.

I wouldn't worry about the seizures after one month, just get off it. Benzos are all very addictive and a possibility of seizures in detox becomes more likely the longer you take it. Good luck and God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 04-30-2009 at 06:29 PM.

So to clarify I am probably ok to just ween myself pretty fast off 2 mgs? Like I said, I've been doing that consistently for maybe a month and a half tops and 1 mg everyday for probably more than that prior to the month and half. I would say since February. Right now I am going down to 1.5 mgs a day for about a week or so? Then to 1 mg and hopefully thereafter every other day or as needed. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by poop4brainsp View Post
    So to clarify I am probably ok to just ween myself pretty fast off 2 mgs? Like I said, I've been doing that consistently for maybe a month and a half tops and 1 mg everyday for probably more than that prior to the month and half. I would say since February. Right now I am going down to 1.5 mgs a day for about a week or so? Then to 1 mg and hopefully thereafter every other day or as needed. What do you think?

First you said that you had used 1-2mg for a month. Now you're going back to February? That is more like almost four months! Which is it?

It makes a big difference that you say exactly what is happening. You can't change the history from one month to 3-4 and expect the same answer.

What I think is that if it changes again on the next reply my answer will no longer be the same. There is no reason to not tell the truth here. I'm not a PO who is trying to bust you. I'm trying to help you, so tell me EXACTLY what the deal is. God bless.

First you said that you had used 1-2mg for a month. Now you're going back to February? That is more like almost four months! Which is it?

It makes a big difference that you say exactly what is happening. You can't change the history from one month to 3-4 and expect the same answer.

What I think is that if it changes again on the next reply my answer will no longer be the same. There is no reason to not tell the truth here. I'm not a PO who is trying to bust you. I'm trying to help you, so tell me EXACTLY what the deal is. God bless.
    I'm not trying to hide the truth. That would be pointless. But xanax does have a side effect of memory loss and its hard to pin point exactly when my use grew to be more consistent. That's as honest as I can get with an answer to what you replied with.

When I started taking the 1 mg dose it was not consistently everyday until after my birthday in late February. And even then I went a day or so in between. And sometimes took more for the high but not everyday of course. Like I said it was to help me get through my stressful day at work and sometimes recreational use. When the increase to 2 mg happened consistently I did make a point to recall about a month or month and half ago tops. Because I read that the 2 mg dose is the real threshold of a danger level to get addicted to and go from there into seizures and stuff if you quit abruptly. I might be wrong. I've taken only a quarter of a bar today so far and seem fine (mainly cause I am not at work and stressed). I plan on keeping with the plan of 1.5 mg for the day, and tapering off after a week or two to 1 mg and so on. If you need more history let me know. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by poop4brainsp View Post
    I'm not trying to hide the truth. That would be pointless. But xanax does have a side effect of memory loss and its hard to pin point exactly when my use grew to be more consistent. That's as honest as I can get with an answer to what you replied with.

When I started taking the 1 mg dose it was not consistently everyday until after my birthday in late February. And even then I went a day or so in between. And sometimes took more for the high but not everyday of course. Like I said it was to help me get through my stressful day at work and sometimes recreational use. When the increase to 2 mg happened consistently I did make a point to recall about a month or month and half ago tops. Because I read that the 2 mg dose is the real threshold of a danger level to get addicted to and go from there into seizures and stuff if you quit abruptly. I might be wrong. I've taken only a quarter of a bar today so far and seem fine (mainly cause I am not at work and stressed). I plan on keeping with the plan of 1.5 mg for the day, and tapering off after a week or two to 1 mg and so on. If you need more history let me know. Thanks!

A seizure can happen weeks after you stop taking xanax. It can be a month afterwards. That's why anti-seizure meds are usually prescribed for a month following benzo detox.

You're talking about almost three months it appears of pretty consistent use. If you taper down slowly you should be okay as long as you are being accurate. If it's any longer than that tell me though.

I was probably being a little silly about me being a probation officer. I knew you weren't trying to hide anything, I was just emphasizing how important it is for you to be accurate with the dates. That's the only way I can tell you the right thing.

Tapering the way you've described should be okay. Just don't stop abruptly. Let us know how you're doing. God bless.

Ok thank you! But I think the 3 months of use depends on the mg and if its every single day, right? I mean 1 mg is not AS dangerous compared to 2 mg as far as consistent use. The 3 months has been not 2 mg the whole time everyday. Its been like i said 1 mg since late Feb almost every single day and then every so often more than that for fun. The 2 mg was everyday for about a month maybe a little more. So is there a statistic on what mg and for what length will cause a seizure if not tapered down properly? Thanks!

LondonToLA is offline Member

Did the dr prescribe any anti-seizure medication like depakote or dilantin? The seizures are a major ongoing potential problem especially during detox off benzos like xanax. If you're not taking anything you should seriously ask the dr about it. I've had seizures from benzo use, I even stroked. I ended up unable to even speak in complete sentences for at least three months. Benzo detox is serious.

The website melinda referred you to is good. Check out the Ashton Manual that is referenced on the home page of that web site ... www.benzo.org.uk. Dr Ashton is a reknowned authority on benzos and the correct tapering methods. Hope you have better luck from here forward. Benzos are DANGEROUS. I was on them for over 25 years. God bless.
    Holy Moly Robert,

Now you've got me scared. I'm prescribed .5mg Xanax, and I've been taking 1 in the AM and 1 in the PM for my anxiety. Perhaps I should go down to .25mg twice a day (breaking a .5mg pill in half). I've taken it almost daily for a while now (two weeks), and prior to that was taking it on a PRN basis (rarely), but never taking more than prescribed.

Am I on the highway to the danger zone here in terms of seizuring or WDing from this type of dosage?

kdipaolo is offline New Member

I do not currently take xanax but my mom use to abuse this pill for several years and I am a epileptic. So I want to ease your pain a little bit here. This pill is addictive she always took 3-7 a day and was always sleeping cause she would over dose. She would do whatever it took to get these pills. As far as seizures goes never once did she have one. The guy who is on xanax and dilatin must have had a prior genetics of epilepsy or have had a seizures before. Even if the drug did cause seizures you would feel a seizure come on you feel myclonic jerks like you jumping out of your body being pulled back and forth. There will be a lot of twitching be aware of staring out in space for on going amounts of time. The twitching will be a sign of a grand mal seizure you will want to lay down on your side away from something dangerous. Staring in space will be a sign of a petite mal they are kinda like sleep walking. Your there your just dont know it.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonToLA View Post
    Holy Moly Robert,

Now you've got me scared. I'm prescribed .5mg Xanax, and I've been taking 1 in the AM and 1 in the PM for my anxiety. Perhaps I should go down to .25mg twice a day (breaking a .5mg pill in half). I've taken it almost daily for a while now (two weeks), and prior to that was taking it on a PRN basis (rarely), but never taking more than prescribed.

Am I on the highway to the danger zone here in terms of seizuring or WDing from this type of dosage?

You're fine after only two weeks. 1mg total isn't that bad and two weeks is fine. I would NOT take it any longer than absolutely necessary though.

You would be fine reducing the dose to .25mg twice daily though. Use the very smallest amount that still helps you and don't do it for long. You'll be okay, no danger really from that small dose for a short time like you're describing. God bless.

in2deep is offline Junior Member

hey can i ask what might seem a stupid question- what is xanax? Is xanax the generic or brand name of the drug. Sorry im from uk & i have only heard of xanax on this board. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by in2deep View Post
    hey can i ask what might seem a stupid question- what is xanax? Is xanax the generic or brand name of the drug. Sorry im from uk & i have only heard of xanax on this board. Thanks

Xanax is the drug name, alprazolam is the generic name. It's in the benzo class of drugs. Click on the highlighted word "xanax" in your post and it will take you to a full page of xanax info. Hope that helps. God bless.

dglightning is offline New Member

Default yuck

all i can say is NEVER ever take this drug even if you think you need it. it will stuff up your entire life! seriously. i was prescribed up to 6mg a day as needed and it has cost me a lot of aggravation and bs, and still is! stay away from it...i don't see how it's really legal at all to be blunt. try to learn a natural way to deal with problems if you can. i'd only reccomend taking this medicine once or twice a year if you where getting a stress test or something.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 04-02-2014 at 01:17 PM.

TianParrell is offline New Member

Default Worst situation

I've been on Xanax for almost 5 years they kept gradually increasing it. I was up to 6mg a day. One day on my way to my doctors appointment I had run out the day before. My fianc