withdrawls from painkillers
    mom-in-trouble is offline New Member

Default withdrawls from painkillers

Hey I am still really new to this I am 29 and a mother of 3 kids and I have let painkillers take over my life... I am scared to tell anyone cause i dont want them to look down on me... someone told me about suboxone... i am to embarrased to ask a doctor about this... so I was wondering what should I expect with the withdrawls from this... I take about 10 - 12 tabs a day and this is getting very expensive and also messind with my health.. I would like to be able to go cold turkey but so far no luck .... The only thing i have noticed when I have tried before was just staying really annoyed by any little thing...if anyone knows what I should expect please let me know and if there is anything i could get without a doc to help me get through this i would appreciate it.. thanks so much
    mom-in-trouble!!

Mary120868 is offline New Member

Mom-In-Trouble:
    I SOOOOO understand!! I am a mom and an attorney and have hidden my addiction to pain killers for years and years. Last week, I had had enough and I just stopped "cold-turkey". It has been extremely difficult. For me, I have vomited and had diarreah for six days now. BONUS: LOST WEIGHT!! Otherwise, its aweful!! I take hot baths around-the-clock, it takes all my energy to walk to the next room. It is really, really difficult.

I am looking into treatment with suboxone in my area. I heard it relieves withdrawals. Your withdrawals may not be that bad, though. Everyone is different. If you must do it without physician intervention i.e. "at-home", here are tips my tips and I'm an EXPERT!!

First and foremost: TAPER DOWN GRADUALLY. Go from 10 a day, to 9 a day etc. . . . See how many pills you have and work out a schedule and find a friend or lock-box to force you to stick to it. That is the most critical information I can give you.
    Second: When you have taken your last pill, clear your responsibilities for at least one full week. I know that sounds difficult. Only you know what kind of excuses might fly with your family/friends but I do advise you confide in someone (mom, sister, friend, husband) and go to them and maybe stay with them for a week.
    Third: [u]CHEWABLE</u> PEPTO AND IMMODIUM
    Fourth: Lots and lots of hot baths to sooth muscles and bone aches. It even helps ease the nausea. Don't ask me why . . .
    Fifth: Just know that you will not sleep so soothing music and/or spiritual books, up-lifting books, a laptop. You'll be awake (notice the time of this post)
    Finally: If you become too dehydrated, go to the hospital and just be honest. If you must, tell them you have no insurance so it is not reported.

Please let me know how you are doing. I'm on day 7 and tonight, I found an extended-release morphine pill and since I haven't eaten in 7 days, I took it so, I'm depressed and worried that I've just really set myself back. This past week was my "week off" so, its back to court and "the grind" this up-coming week so, only God knows what I've done.

I think I found your post for a reason, though. I needed to know someone else is trying to get their life back.

Good Luck!!
    Mary

Mary

lordy is offline Member

Please keep telling yourself: "It is going to be okay, it is going to be okay, it is going to be okay."
    Withdrawals are so scary. But it really is do-able. Just hard. The worst, for me, was the depression that followed (within a week of getting over cramps-- especially first thing in the morning, ugh.) But it will go away, and if you can manage it, try to get some exercise to get endorphins flowing. Keep busy. Drink water. Stay in touch with all us other moms. Believe me, you're not alone in this. Hang in there.
    L

lordy is offline Member

Please keep telling yourself: "It is going to be okay, it is going to be okay, it is going to be okay."
    Withdrawals are so scary. But it really is do-able. Just hard. The worst, for me, was the depression that followed (within a week of getting over cramps-- especially first thing in the morning, ugh.) But it will go away, and if you can manage it, try to get some exercise to get endorphins flowing. Keep busy. Drink water. Stay in touch with all us other moms. Believe me, you're not alone in this. Hang in there.
    L

mom-in-trouble is offline New Member

Thanks so much for the info given I hope it will come in handy!! I reall want to keep in touch and keep up with ya'lls progress...I know I do need someone to talk to through this, and someone going through the same thing will help out alot.. If ya;ll get the chance email me and let me know how it is going. I wish you all well and good luck. I only hope I can be strong as ya'll. Thanks again

mtlmd is offline New Member

This is my first time on the site. I have read a llittle bit and understand quite a bit what everyone is going through. 5 years ago I got off really strong pain killers. I started taking them for kidney stones and then I just started taking them. I was 25 then and living with my parents. They were the ones who called me on the addiction and made me get help.
    Well, I now have a 7 month old little girl. Unfortunately I got a kidney stone during the pregnancy and needed pain medication. They switched me from morphine to methadone. No one told me how hard it would be to get off. As my dose was being lowered, and trust me, I had all the best intentions, I started to have minor withdrawl. I remembered what it was like the first time (even with clonidine, valium and meds for stomach cramps). I started to escalate my methadone dose and when I ran out I switched to Tylenol 1s so I wouldn't have withdrawl. At least this time I realized that I had a big problem. The difference was that this time it wasn't about the high, but the easing of physical symptoms. Well, I decided to go cold turkey. That was last Tues. By Wed night I had sweats and stomach cramps and diarrhea. THings got so bad that by Fri I saw my doctor who gave me the same cocktail as I took before (we don't have Suboxone in Canada). I am finally starting to feel a bit better and taking less meds for symptoms.
    What is REALLY bothering me, though, is that I had to stop breast feeding to take these meds. Although my daughter doesn't seem to care, I do. I feel so guilty that I am putting her through this - although I would not have gotten through the pregnancy if it weren't for the pain meds. Also, I had told my husband about my previous addiction. We had made a deal prior to getting married that if I ever took any narcotics I would tell him. That to him it was the same as being cheated on. Well, when I started going through withdrawl I told him the truth. Not only doesn't he understand the pain of withdrawl - although he is better since talking to my mom about my prior experience - he feels hurt that I didn't tell him right away when I started to go up on my methadone dose.
    The whole thing makes me feel awful since I went over 4 years without any pain meds and then I got myself into trouble again. I just feel awful about the whole thing.
    Reading what everyone else had gone through certainly helps some. But, having gone through 3 days of cold turkey on my own, I would say get help. GO to a doctor who knows about withdrawl and get medications. Almost none of us got into this on purpose. We shouldn't have to suffer is my opinion. And as bad as it is telling people about your addiction, especially when it is becuase you took pain meds legitimately, people are not too judgemental and offer more support than you could imagine.
    Anyhow, I just wanted to vent a little and put in my 2 cents worth.
    Thanks for listening

tryin hard is offline New Member

Unhappy

hey everyone, i'm new too this site. ive never done this before and i hope i learn alot.. i have been taking pills and other drugs for the past 5+yrs. tried many times too stop and so desperately want too.. but i dont like the withdrawls at all yes i know (who does.) but other than this site i'm alone on what i'm feeling.. the worst withdrawl to me is the anxious feeling, running to the bathroom alot, and the worst no sleep. it's like when i'm not taking anything my body goes nuts and i have all this energy but i'm sooo sick i cant do anything. i have too work while going through all this. i'm doing this all cold turkey, today will be the second day for me. and i just want to wake up 2 weeks from now and be like hey that was easy.. but i know it will not be that easy..tell me how long will the urge to take 1,2,3,or more go away....... i feel all alone on this..

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tryin hard View Post
    hey everyone, i'm new too this site. ive never done this before and i hope i learn alot.. i have been taking pills and other drugs for the past 5+yrs. tried many times too stop and so desperately want too.. but i dont like the withdrawls at all yes i know (who does.) but other than this site i'm alone on what i'm feeling.. the worst withdrawl to me is the anxious feeling, running to the bathroom alot, and the worst no sleep. it's like when i'm not taking anything my body goes nuts and i have all this energy but i'm sooo sick i cant do anything. i have too work while going through all this. i'm doing this all cold turkey, today will be the second day for me. and i just want to wake up 2 weeks from now and be like hey that was easy.. but i know it will not be that easy..tell me how long will the urge to take 1,2,3,or more go away....... i feel all alone on this..
    Hi tryin hard
    I know the withdrawals suck...but if you can just hang in there and get a few days behind you it gets allot easer...I will pull up the Thomas Recipe for you.
    It has helped allot of people.
    I know it's hard but when you get done with this you will be able to do anything you want...you will have your life back...
    so hang in there.be tough.and take it one hour at a time.

keep us posted on how your doing..
    Melinda

Thomas Detox Recipe
    PLEASE NOTE: I am not a doctor, simply a long-time Rx opiate junkie who has had many opportunities to develop a way to detox. This is a recipe for at-home self-detox from opiates based on my experience as well as that of many other addicts. It is not intended as professional medical advice. It is always wise to make sure none of the recipe ingredients or procedures conflict with medications you may be taking. Likewise, if you have any medical condition, disease, allergy or any other health issue, consult your doctor before using the recipe. Thanks, Thomas

This recipe is designed for cold turkey opiate detox. It assumes that you can get about 5 to 7 days away from your job or household responsibilities during which you can sleep, veg and act as miserable as you feel. Opiate WD mimics the symptoms of the common flu, so, if you need a smokescreen, hide behind a bad case of the flu.

If you can't take time off to detox, I recommend you follow a taper regimen using your drug of choice or suitable alternate -- the slower the taper, the better.

For the Recipe, You'll need
    Valium (or another benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, Librium, Ativan or Xanax). Of these, Valium and Klonopin are best suited for tapering since they come in tablet form. Librium is also an excellent detox benzo, but comes in capsules, making it hard to taper the dose. Ativan or Xanax should only be used if you can't get one of the others.
    Imodium (over the counter, any drug or grocery store). [generic brand anti-diarrheal is fine. Don't take it unless really uncomfortable]
    L-Tyrosine* (500 mg caps) from the health food store.* [See Warning]
    Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper and Magnesium.
    Vitamin B6 caps. [or stress B-complex?]
    Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available). [many gyms offer free trials]
    How to use the recipe
    Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you're aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst W/D symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5. [melatonin worked well after day 4 for me. Sleeplessness sometimes hangs on awhile]

During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate W/D symptom. [I like Epsom salts in the tub. Forces Magnesium into the muscles]

Use the Imodium aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. DON'T TAKE IT, however, if you don't need it.[Diarrhea is the bodies way to aid in the detox so take Immodium or generic for the comfort factor, if needed]

At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate W/D malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine*. Try 2000 mg, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mg. Take the L-Tyrosine* with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine* will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine* can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate W/D, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine* is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help. [*Read the Warning first! *L-Tyrosine* is great. *SamE 400* mg works for mood too]

With breakfast, take the mineral supplement.

As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better. [Walking gets the blood and lymph systems working, helping you detox better.]

PLEASE NOTE: If you have any medical complications, first check with your doctor before detoxing to verify that this regimen is safe for you. [Very important note]

[WARNING If you are on anti-Depressants, use medical supervision on L-Tyrosine, SamE and all mood enhancers. There can be a risk if taking L-Tyrosine, 5 HTP if you are on a tricyclic or a MAIO antidepressant's ...It can cause a spike in blood pressure.]

Default helping out

i hope i'm doing this right and everyone gets this.. anyway, i see alot of people talking about suboxone. i haven't got a clue what it is, but i just want too share what i have found out. my sister works for a dr. and anything you tell them goes on your medical file forever..... depending what you are doing or if you just want too change carrers. that drug prob. you have will be on their and could prevent you from getting a certain job in the future, just letting people be aware

hey, hope everythings going good for you. i'm very new here. just wanting you to know i have found out that if you go to dr. and tell them what you are going through it will be on your medical file forever and will follow you every where you go.. say you want to change careers one day, well if any employer see's your file it could prevent you from getting that job. just jetting you know just in case

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by tryin hard View Post
    i hope i'm doing this right and everyone gets this.. anyway, i see alot of people talking about suboxone. i haven't got a clue what it is, but i just want too share what i have found out. my sister works for a dr. and anything you tell them goes on your medical file forever..... depending what you are doing or if you just want too change carrers. that drug prob. you have will be on their and could prevent you from getting a certain job in the future, just letting people be aware

Before a dr can release my personal medical information to a propspective employer OR ANYONE he has to have my persmission in writing. If he starts telling ANYONE that I am a drug addict in his opinion I will own his freakin house.

There are HIPPA laws that I have dealt with in business for years. You can't disclose private information about people unless there are extreme extenuating circumstances like the FBI, Dept of Justice, or something similar.

If people in your sister's dr office are talking about their patients' medical histories without their written authorization they are risking their livelihood.

If you wish to learn about suboxone ask and we will be happy to share the information. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

feelalone is offline New Member

Hi, I am a 32 year old mom of 3. I became addicted to Norco after using it for about 6 months for neuropathy. I did tell my dh as soon as I realized I was addicted though, that was the best thing I could have done. I also called my psychiatrist when I realized that I couldn't withdraw on my own (mostly due to the depression and panic I felt, but the physical part was hell as well). I basically called him to see about going inpatient. I was lucky that he had worked with many people that were addicted to opiates and he put me on suboxone. I am now trying to get off of it, with the help of the experienced here on this board. Suboxone withdrawals have been hell as well, but I have been told that if tapered down right, it won't be bad. I am trusting this completely and following directions from those that have gone before me. I was really embarrased at first as well, but I finally realized that I needed to get past that and get help. I will be thinking of you, I hope you find your way through this horrible addiction!

howdidithappen is offline New Member

Default Help....

I have been on a variety of pain meds for over a year now. I have Crohn's Disease and Fibromyalgia, and it feels like the its not possible to go off these pain meds without severe pain from my other conditions. I am only 26 years old, I really dont want to be so dependent on drugs to make me feel better. How long will it take to feel better if I detox??

Anonymous Guest

Hi howdidithappen
    I have fibro also, I had myself in a big mess with a bad addiction to pain pills.
    It will take a couple weeks till you fell a little better the first four days being the worst....I have been clean now for a year....
    let me know if I can help...
    Melinda

universe1234 is offline New Member

I just wanted to add my 2 cents to this... for those of you who are going cold turkey from hydro or oxy, you have a good 3, maybe 4 days of hell. On the 4th or 5th day you'll start to feel better. Thats important because after reading so many posts, it sounds like there will be no hope for at least a couple weeks, thats not true, you will feel better after 4 days or so. You'll still have trouble sleeping, you wont feel great by any means, but that really really hard stuff, like the restless leg and the runs, will be done (in most cases, that's been my experience anyway).

mottam is offline Advanced Member

mom-i-t:
    Can a dad give you a shout of support - ?

W/ds suck. Whatever method you choose, stick to it, and get clean.
    I have couple very young children myself.

I just wanted to post a "great job", and let you know I pray for all who are suffering. You will win if you want it! Stay strong.

Kindest Regards

hookedincali is offline New Member

hey hey mot....glad to see your still alive! you must be goin just over a month now right? this friday will be my month and i feel SOOOOOOO much better....getting my stamina back is still an issue but its comin..slowly..but still progressing..until about 15 minutes ago when i was trying to move a heavy desk and pulled out my arm (theorignal injury) and my back =\...i DO NOT want to have to use anything again but this pain is HORRID....my arm has actually been improving since i went clean but this...this is bad. had my landlord offer me a few vics but i declined. i don't want to use this as a trigger even if it is just one day. i would feel bad about myself...but on the flip side this pain right now is making it difficlut to breathe...talk about the wrong time to injure myslef (or the wrong time to quit vicodin, depending on how oyu look at it). hope all is well with you mot and for you guys just getting started..be strong & stick with it. the worst will be done in a few days..and my advice after that is to MAKE yourself get out and do something..even if its a short walk down the driveway or around the block..it WILL help you sleep and take your mind of the RLS for a short time. im a month clean and the last 1.5 weeks i have felt better than i have in yrs..even with the stamina keepin me down i nthe evenings...good luck guys..be strong and shine on..

marctaylor is offline New Member

Unhappy Guy In Trouble Too!

Hi Guys,

I need your help too, I have been taking 10 or so 40mg zapain co-codamol tablets everyday for the past five years for nerves and panic attacks and today I have decided once and for all to give them up, I have tried before and failed but this time I am in Japan for a year studying and have run out of the medication so it is the ideal oppurtunity.
    I just wanted some advice or a forum to chat to people experiencing the same problems I am also doing self cognative therapy which I recomend to the mum to change your thought process and actions and it can be done alone without the need to go to a doctor. I have been to the doctor regarding my addiction and they will simply tell you to stop taking them, they are reluctant to perscribe you any medication so its best to try it yourself or on the NHS as I am British you can get free medical councilling for cognative behaviour therapy, I dont know if your insurance or this free service is available in the US but it is anomonous.
    I need to give these up because they make me sluggish and extremely tired, cranky and mean to people, they make me sleep all the time and hard to concentrate during studies, very lazy and my future is suffering and health. I had blood tests by the doctor because they wanted to test my liver and nothing is wrong, they said that the effects of painkillers are not long term so the damage can be reversed within two weeks of not taking the pills. Just be nice to keep in contact with people undergoing this cold turkey for advice and added support to each other. Feel free to email me to ikaka_2000@hotmail.com.

Regards

Marc