Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Withdrawling from Morphine/Hydrocondone HELP!
    Philosophist is offline Junior Member

Default Withdrawling from Morphine/Hydrocondone HELP!

hello:P

I am 30 and air force vet, i got hurt in Iraq and have been on one pain killer or another for the last 5 years, from OXy-Diluadid-Morphine-etcetcetc....
    I decided that my life cannot continue in this manor anymore and have been tapering my down from 3x 100Mg Morphine a day(15 days ago) to about 20 MG of Lortab a day. It has been 15 days of subtle hell, never full on w/d but like having a two week flu. I have been on the 20 mg of lortab for 2 days now and am pretty much stable.
    I am using the discipline i learned and loved from my military tours and MAKING myself take les and less and less everyday, and so far it seems to be working.

I am now taking 5mg lortab 4 times a day at 6 and 12. i plan on dropping the midnite dose in a few days, then the noon a few days after that.
    All the while i am Smoking my medical weed, Taking the occasional Xanax, and taking Ambien for sleep.
    Once i get to the point that i am only taking 10-15 mg a day i can pretty safley say my withdraws will be pretty minimal correct? Or at least it will be FAR less than the first time i got off pills (was taking 500mg of oxycontin a day) cold turkey.

Im a vet and they dont offer ANY Opiate detox centers for us where i live, and they wont give me Subutex or anything, pretty much said good luck and sent me packing......

SO what do you guys think? WIll i be in pain for a few days still? or if i stay on program and discipline should i level off nicely with only a few days????

Thanx in advance to all answers and readers<3

Anonymous Guest

Hi Phil
    Frst of all I want to say Thank you for your service to are Country.. A big salute to you...
    I was addicted to oxycontin and vics,somas and klonopin
    It took me a while but I tapered down like you did, let me tell you it was the best way you could have done it.... The w/d are so much easer...
    I had stopped the klonopin first so all I had to help me sleep at night was ambien, but I made it OK..
    let us know if we can help..
    talk to you soon, Melinda

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

I've detoxed off just about everything and you are correct, hydro is the easiest. Not to say it's going to be a walk in the park, but you have been doing great tapering with self control, you should be proud of yourself. It sounds like you have it figured out, I would go with your plan. After that you might have a few days max of minor symptoms, then it's all mental from there

ya i made it all day yesterday without bad symptoms on only 1.5 lortabs, but at around 6-7 o'clock it got as bad as its ever been, hands shook PAINFULLY, and was just generally crampy as W/ding will make you.....so i took a whole lortab and 5 mg of morphine, ambein and 2 xanax(Orange weak ones) and feel asleep after apparently trying to go swimming in the pool(Ambein ALWAYS makes my do odd ????)
    its 12+ hours since i took that buffet of pills and i have yet to take anything today and feel pretty good.

Im hoping if i can keep leveled out on what im on now then lessen to around 1.5 lortabs a day and be stable on that ill just go to the ER and tell them i have chest pains etc so they will keep my away from my pills and ill have a place to sweat out the worst of it.

Or i have a plan 2. (Always have a plan 2.)

They do have a detox unit for Alcoholics at the local VA. I HATE alcohol, and as a full blooded Irishman i know thats rare. I get headaches and turn into a NASTY person when drunk and i promised my fiance to never drink EVER again after our two families first joint thanksgiving(Ex-Johavahs witness's and Irish Catholics) turned VERY ugly. I dont like alcohol at all, it bring out the worst in people.....

I will however use alcohol to get a bed in a detox unit, IM wondering is that medically dumb? My over all plan is to get my BAC about 1.0+ or so then roll into the ER and say i need help for alcoholism AND opiates, then just nurse my hangover AND w/d but at least ill get into a week long treatment center.

Jut wondering what Drigs.com think of my plan2.... or will plan 1 be sufficient?

Thanx for ur great replies<3

Anonymous Guest

Hi Phil
    you really are doing a great job.. if you keep going down, and are leveling out OK, why do you want to go to the hospital...
    I would stick to plan 1 but like you said you always need a plan 2 !!!
    I think your going to do just fine tho...

you really made me laugh at the Jehovah's witness and the catholics .. what a pair !!! have a few drinks and there would be fireworks
    keep posting and let us know how your doing
    talk to you soon, Melinda

Catrina is offline Advanced Member

Hi Phil,

I just read your entire thread and applaud you on the progress you have made this far. I was never any good at tapering....there was always tomorrow to start or I'll take one more and skip the next dose, etc. I'm a gobbler...sad but true. The only method that worked for me was to suck it up and go cold turkey. That was some 16 months ago after many, many years of abuse.

Although I don't have enough self discipline to do a proper taper, I've read enough and tried enough to offer a bit of advice, I think. The thing to remember is that Rome wasn't built in a day and slow and steady is the way to go. Don't rush it because it takes time. Continue to taper and descrease while still managing to live your life refusing to give in to the temptation to take a "little extra" just this once. Just keep going down, the right direction. Obviously, getting down as far as possible before you make the leap to nothing will just make it that much easier for you. All along the way whenever you level out and then drop you're apt to feel it even if it's a little. Remind yourself that it's exactly how you're supposed to feel and that's a good thing because you're body is recognizing it and working to adjust. Bottom line, take your time and be kind to yourself. You deserve huge praise for being able to taper, something that I and many others could never ever do.

Keep posting. Now that we have our eye on you we need to know how you're doing. You're important to all of us.

Peace,

Cat

Well so far i have been "even" on 20mg of lortab a day.......
    I had that one night where the W/d became unbearable and i had to take a 10mg bit of morphine two days ago but since haven't taken anything but the 20 mg of lortab a day. i will FOR SURE be taking that advise to take these last few days slow and easy. I have more than enough of a supply to taper for weeks if needed, but im hoping that after 2 more days on this dose i can drop 5-10mg a day, then once im level on that im jumping off the cliff so to speak.....

TBH its very nice to know that im doing well, I feel proud that im able to tough this out. I come from a family FULL of addictions from Crack to ???????? to basic drunkards, so breaking free of it all is important to me.
    im getting good support which is good, My fiance is feeding me well, and im drinking a lot of Gatorade and Metamucil for fiber which i heard is important to detox fully....

i have been HUNGRY, like crazy hungry, im eating like a horse. Im forgetting that humans are supposed to eat more than once a day lol.......

Thanx for the support^^

I took 5 mg lortab at 9 am my time (Tucson AZ) and as of 445 i havent taken anything else...... Im not having any major w/d just some minor agitation and cramps in my legs. If i make it past 12 hours with out any w/d am i pretty well gtg? or will it need to be a 24 or more peak period ?

Anonymous Guest

hi Phil
    I think you got it at this point....may I be the first to say congrats !!!
    It is very hard to do what you just did..
    You need to be very proud of yourself !!!!

on hour 45 of being opiate free. I feel like a have a bed flu,. but tapering is for sure the way to go. WAY better than last time. I want to thank you all for your super support and help:P Just hearing "youcan do it"
    is al you need.....so thank you.

Ill keep this updated in a day or so^^

lola1022 is offline Junior Member

Phil,

Way to go!!!! I could never, ever wean down - I'd always end up eating them all, then panicing about what to do. Thank you for your generous and couragous service to our country. That said, I cannot believe that they will not provide any help for you! Thats just wrong. Back to the pill situation - I've always heard the 3rd day is the worst so after 72 hours without anything...you're golden! I had to go on suboxone and it has been a miracle for me. No cravings. At all. For me - you have no idea, I was obsessed with Lortab 10 for years - I could take 30-40 mg a day! And I'm a girl (my name probably tipped you off) and only 5'3 on a good day. Yet, I could take that and function, like go to work and deal with people, etc. At one point I doctor shopped and each doc had a different pharmacy, yet I managed to keep it all in my head, addled as it was. I guess I was getting around 600 a month and I was always out before I went to one of my doc's. The night before my appointment, I would dream Lortab, they had to be watson, the blue ones or forget it. Once in a while I'd get pink from CVS just to switch it up a little. I was so happy when I would get 100 in an unopened bottle, telling myself this time they were going to last, they never, ever did. I really didn't think the sub would work for me - and I'll admit, for a month or two I went back & forth, knowing I had the sub if I ran out of Lortab so no withdrawal, then I started to realize I really didn't want to bother making another dr. appt, going to the pharm, all that money spent, so I didn't go, and it's been about 2 years now. I'm thinking of weaning off thw sub, but I actually do have a chronic pain issue, my right leg is permanantly broken, the ankle is fused and the tibia is mainly gone due to the MRSA infection getting in my bone. I had 12 surgeries 10 in a 5 month period, was in the hospital for 6 months and on IV antibiotics for a year and a half. The sub seems to help with the pain, which is my main concern against weaning off. Why not just stay on? They don't alter me in any way - even though someone earlier said he got off on them, I never, ever did, most don't. They do make you kind of nod off for a while, but that passes. Anyway, I'm proud of you - that you can do what most can't. Congrats on getting married, have ya'll set a date?
    Please let us know how you're doing.

Lola

well im not 100% done. Last night around 9Pm i started to get shaky and aggitated. I took a 2mg Xanax bar, an ambein, a Halcyon, and a few big swigs of Nyquil(im a big guy 6.1 230, so my tolerance is mighty) and when i was laying there my gf felt so bad she gave me a 5mg lortab.

SO now im afraid that im back at day one, and tonight ill go thru the same thing.
    She was doing it out of love, she saw me shooting up out of bed screaming in pain and w/d and wanted to make me well.
    Its not an easy thing......

Anonymous Guest

Hey Phil.....
    I posted to you on Sport's thread yesterday, said more there, but congratulations!
    Your attitude, your unselfish support and efforts to sport... and boyfriend, are all really impressive.
    Be proud!
    I think you are really something!
    Marian

Thank you so much I have found that this process is a very lnely one, in that you and you alone go through the pain and agony. Only other in the same place will understand, and man i sure was happy and thankful for every BIT of kind helpful info during my dark hours.

My mom has been trying to get me to be a Therapist for years, maybe ill go into drug counseling.......

Anyhow..... I feel utterly deflated about taking that 5mg of lortab after being clean for 48 hours. but i was basically manic and felt it was that or i was gonna postal.

But im glad for this place and peopl elike you so ready to help

cheers.

So after 48 hours of no pills, i went into Manic episode last light, and now 18+ hours later i feel ok. Sick and anxious but stable. Playing lots of Starcraft2 and smoking pot like in college......hope its over soon

Anonymous Guest

Don't be devastated. Not going to cause any harm. Just move on and deal as you have been.
    Your story is amazing!
    Really mean that!
    Marian

That is so nice to hear you have no idea.
    After going to the VA for help and getting none i was VERY dis-heartened.
    But i just want to be free. I miss my oldself, and will fight to get him back...

I just hope that the 5mg of lortab wont set me back to far....even if it does, its been 3 weeks or so, light at end of tunnel getting brighters..........

thanx for your support:P

Still cant sleep past the sun coming up......
    but i have (hopefully) finnished my taper.

5mg of lortab in the last 72 hours, and that was taken at the HEIGHT of the worst of teh w/d, before i ripped the walls down. I feel WEAK, like Really weak. By mid day its hard to even sit at my desk and play games. but lying in bed is so solitary i end up feeling worse. Im eating alot still, ravenous hunger. Drinking Ensure to boot to keep my body full of fuel to repair itself. Also i have been craving sugar like im pregnant, my trash can is FULL of sour candy wrappers and herseys kisses..,.....

I feel embarrassed that my fiance had to see me at the height of w/d symptoms, im a big strong guy and its hard for me to think of seeming weak to the woman i love.....
    Maybe ill find a bear or large goose to fight to prove my strength to her.
    (Geese are TERRIFYING when angered!)

Im glad i feel as good as i do, im just frightened because lat tim ei thought i was done i got another bout of symptoms.....so i hope that im done......

Feeeling SO TIRED....... cant keep awake, and im lethargic. But 10Mg of lortab in teh last 4-5 days.....i think im done perhaps?????

Had some mild shakes last night but woke up feeling grumpy but overall energized and ready for action. VERY depressed though.....still eating like Oprah though.

Is any one still out there???

I thank you for all teh help and support and will update regardless<3

Anonymous Guest

Phil....
    Sorry, I've been reading your posts haven't posted. My bad. We all need to know someone is listening.
    You are done!!!!!!!!
    Congratulations!
    The depression, malaise will continue for awhile, but the more you exercise, get outside, do things you enjoy, or you know you should enjoy......it will all get better day by day, just look for the small things, and you will see them.
    What a guy you are!
    I was very touched when on another thread, while helping others, you told about crying like a five year old.
    To open yourself up like that, even in a forum, takes one h3ll of a person.
    I'm not worried about you continuing on in your "new life". With your attitude you will make it! For sure!
    I've told you b4, I'll tell you again........you are amazing!
    Thanks for all your help here, also.
    Marian

Anonymous Guest

Phil-
    Forgot to tell you that usually, not always, sleep comes last. Grab what you can, when you can!
    So very proud of you!
    Marian

Well sleep is by far my worst problem at this point...... i took 2 Ambein and stared at the ceiling all night, counting sheep, remembering old Gf's names, state capitals....NOTHING drugged/bored me into sweet sleep.

However my mind is sharp like a tack again, which is so NICE! I feel smarter, my attention is good again, and i am talking SO FAST people are like
    " woah slow down......" I forgot what it was like to be me.........

Never again.... And thanx to YOu guys for your support. This has been a huge trial for myself, making yourself sick like that for 3weeks straight isnt easy. Especially when you have a bottle of pills in your house that can take the pain away. But i refuse to be beaten by addiction. It took my dad and uncles but it wont take me.

you guys are all great^^ I enjoy offering help to others, and am now considering studying drug counseling.... its would make me happy to free people from there addictions, even if it woudl be hard and mostly thankless....

MUST NOT SLEEP.....MUST WARN OTHERS!!!!!!!!!

ya ya ya ill warn others after this nap^^

cheers

Anonymous Guest

Phil....
    Sorry about the sleep! I'm in the same boat
    Worth it tho!
    Happy Easter!
    Marian

NoMoreOxy is offline Senior Member

Hey Phil.

Just throwing a little support your way. Just read your thread and can relate. I'm currently almost to day 9 and just about back to normal. The weakness and depression will absolutely go away, just stay strong (like you have been) and all will be well.

Good work my friend!

thats nice to hear, being this tired is terrible. My mind feels awake but my body just isnt up to it yet>.< just trying to keep well feed, and well hydrated.

Congratulations on day 9. cant wait to be there myself, enjoy feeling better^^

my main issue right now is that i live in Tucson and the best/only good food close is the mexican food cart a block down(they know my 1st name>.<)
    so my stomach has been more upset than it probably should be, but the lady says its good for me and will make me well......sweet lady.

Still weepy tho.......like credit card commercials and pretty much any song written before 2000.........
    Started watching Jericho(post apocalyptic short lived awesome show), and both me AND my gf were sobbing.....and usually i kid with her about her weepy ways during shows...... but i was like Water Works. Not usually much of a crier, deaths and tragedies only, but lately anything and everything gets me worked up.

just trying to stay busy....... Severely abusing my NetFlix account and taking walks about (mostly to the food cart lol)

sort of just keeping my own journal at this point....

Proof that Tapering CAN work, if you work it.......YOU can be stronger than the drug, you just have to make yourself. The human body is capable of great things when challenged... i just hope we can all stay clean and happy forever^^

nobby02 is offline Member

Great job philosophist, nice to read your story and I love your honesty and how positive you are.

Thank you!!!! this has been cathartic for me, nothing like setting a goal and getting there. I have been lucky that i found this kind place and have a good Gf and mother that calls every five seconds....lol.....

Thanx for your comment hope your day is great^^

Catrina is offline Advanced Member

Hi Phil,

Good to read you're doing so well. Never for a second think otherwise. You indeed (in my opinion) did this thing the hard way!! You made me laugh out loud when you wrote about talking fast. Have a story about that myself. I'm a fast talker anyway, always have been. My employer at that time when I got clean had only known me as the "fogged Cat". About a week after starting my cold turkey and finally starting to feel like a human again my mouth was off and running in a major way...faster than I had spoken in many years! Well, a few weeks later and still running at the mouth, my employer who was also my friend asked to speak with me privately. She said that she was concerned about me. Wanted to know if I had started to do drugs, like cocaine, crack, or the like. You can imagine my shock. After knowing her for over five years and working while abusing opiates there was never a question of my state of mind and no one would have even imagined that I abused drugs of any sort--realiable me! Then clean and sober, I'm flying high! I didn't know whether to laugh or be insulted. Makes me laugh all over again. BTW, I only reassured her that no, I wasn't doing any drugs and that was finally the truth!

Keep up the fight!

Peace,

Cat

Ggeo is offline Member

Default Great thread Phil..

Just now read your whole thread. It's great...it def helped me as you know I'm tapering too..not looking forward to the crying jags but knowing they will go away, that they are a NEEDED and passing thing will help get me through. Thanks again for all your support. And keep posting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast