Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SheLovesKoalas
Wife on Suboxone...Need Advice
    Married2Addict is offline New Member

Exclamation Wife on Suboxone...Need Advice

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. I have been reading all threads on Suboxone, and now I have mixed feelings about it.

A little over 2 years ago, my wife entered into a Methadone maint. treatment plan. We had high hopes in kicking her addiction to Hydros. After almost 2 years, she switched to Suboxone, which was Sept. of this year. This was supposed to be a "Short" detox period, and after the Methadone, I was ready for our life to get back on track. The optimism I had about the Sub treatment has been all but extinguished. She is like a zombie 24/7. She doesn't notice it as much as everyone else does. I sit here at home and watch her fall asleep while doing household things. Her speech is slurred. She is severely depressed. And now, I'm afraid she is addicted to Suboxone. She has been taking 8mg a day for the last 2 months. We can't afford it anymore. She lost her job in October. My brother's wife, a Human Resources Manager, "gave" her a job yesterday, and then sent her home after a few hours because she fell asleep during a safety meeting AND while interviewing. I don't know what to do!!!!!

I'm not an addict myself, but I have grown up around addiction, and have tried a few drugs myself. I have this pre-conceived notion that "most" of an addiction is mental. Am I wrong? My dad quit cold turkey one day, and never looked back. I'm talking cocaine, pot, alcohol, crank, and anything else he could get his hands on. COLD TURKEY with EVERYTHING about 8 years ago!!! Maybe he has more will power, or just wasn't addicted like others. But he used for about 15 years that I know of. Why can't my wife do this? What can I do to help her? I want my wife back!!!

I'm no doctor, but I have put her on a semi-slow detox off Sub. I have been giving her 4mg a day for a week and about to go down to 2 mg a day middle of next week. After that, I don't want to screw her up by dropping anymore without knowing what to look for. This is all with her approval, also. Mutual decision. Is there anything I can get for her lack of energy that wont alter the Sub?
    Last edited by Married2Addict; 12-22-2007 at 05:46 AM.

janome is offline New Member

My honest advice is to get her back onto an opiate that she will not fall asleep while on, but will still keep "urges" away.
    Methadone is extremely addictive, and the results from suoxone do not seem positive, but may be necessary.

Bearing in mind I am not a doctor in any way, I just have been researching and doing drugs recreationally for years :P...

If I was in your position I would cut the suboxone, and begin a regiment of Nurofen Plus. Each tab has 12.8mg codiene in it, a weak opiate that has little addiction potential when supervised, starting at whatever level of opiate addiction she is at. This stuff can be purchased online, and is probably cheaper than suboxone.

http://www.jetchemist.com/pain-relie...s-c-57_27.html

good luck.

edit: Wow. 600ug of suboxone = 10mg morphine... I would step down on the suboxone first.
    Last edited by janome; 12-22-2007 at 11:54 AM.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Her dose is to high!!Cut her dose down to 4mgs a day and see what happens.I'm wondering if she is taking any benzodiazepine's like xanax or valium ect....The average dose of suboxone is 8-12 mgs but can be as high as 32mgs.Something just doesn't ring right here.Can you take her suboxone and give it to her daily????If you can then I would still bump it down to 4mgs a day.You can safely break the 8mg pills in half and give her those.Good luck.......Dave

I have control of her Suboxone right now. For some reason, she has no ability to regulate herself with anything. Like I said above, I've been giving her 4 mg a day for about a week now. I have 2 8mg pills left, which is 4 4mg doses and will get us through Christmas. After this runs out, I have to make the decision to buy more or figure out something else. May get 5 more and break them into 2 mg doses to go further. This has to end. Financially, we can't afford to buy any more. She got a script for them and we've been getting them 3 or 5 at a time at 5 bucks each from the pharmacy.

Her mother is HEAVILY addicted to every pain killer known to man. Oxy is her drug of choice. But she acts just like my wife most of the time. Sleeping all day, lathargic, mumbling slurred speach. This woman will "chew" 80 mg Oxys like tic tacs. This one of the problems my wife has. A mother that justifies prescription drugs and then tries to tell her daughter not to take them.

I really don't want to get her back on opiates with the codeine. She has a new job, and this might become a problem with drug screens. Plus, I'm afraid she wont be able to control herself with them. I will regulate it, but my attempts in the past has always driven a wedge between us. This time with the Suboxone, she agreed to let me keep them, but I don't know how long she can hold out with me dosing her.

Thanks for your help. I will talk to her today about it and see what she wants to do about the codeine.

Cats Meow is offline Banned

Codeine wouldn't work anyway until around day 4 off of SubO, of course by then she'd be in withdrawal. Your best solution is a slow taper down from the Sub then deal with the w/d's which will last about 5 days. Mom's addiction will be the major road block for her recovery. You have tough situation ahead of you, it's not going to be easy. Sounds like in-house treatment would be the most effective means for recovery.

Exclamation Awwww Married

First I would like you to tell your wife how very lucky she is to be married to someone who is not only understanding of her addiction, but also has a hand in her recovery.

I personally would NOT recommend going on any type of opiates, regardless of their non addictive potential. No way. Not me. Took me waaaaaaaay too long to get off of them to go back to that insanity again!!! To be on Meth for 2 years, go to suboxone to wean off Meth and then head straight back to an opiate doesn't make any sense to me. Talk about a vicious cycle. You'll end up posting in here again in another 3 years with the same problems!

I don't even want to tell you how long I was on Suboxone. I found it an amazing prescription medication to get off an opiate love affair that lasted 4 years. So let's skip the part about how long I was on the Sub's and get straight to my experiences with Suboxone.

The only time I ever felt the symptoms you are describing was when I took too much Suboxone..... I don't know if this makes sense to you, but my body seemed to reject prescribed doses after awhile. Therefore, when I began to "nod", I would call my doctor and we would agree to taper yet again..... My taper was extremely slow, but it was more my body telling me when it was time to go down on the meds. As soon as I decreased my dose, I was fine again.

I would also like to express to you that I remained productive throughout my treatment with Suboxone. Perhaps my energy was low, but not to the point where I could not function. I might come home from work and nap a little too long, but never was unable to control my sleeping and nodding as long as I was on the right dose.

I do believe that my pill addiction has led me to believe that "more is better", which is DEFINATELY not the case with Suboxone. Hopefully she will begin to see the difference with the tapering you have done and understand that our addictive thinking will not work this time!!

And the most positive thing I think to tell you is that after that loooooong Suboxone treatment, I eventually weaned down to zero. I have not had a Suboxone since September, and I do not have any desire to use my old opiates again. I have no cravings, and best of all was that I had NO WITHDRAWAL from the Suboxone. I was lucky enough to have a doc who understood not only my hesitations, but my fears as well. He went along with my plan of treatment. When my body said taper, we would taper. But there was never a time when he wasn't informed or asked before I did anything. He was/is my life saver. I owe the man my life, or should I say the rebirth of the life I had before my addiction........

Godspeed.

Oh, and I know the financial strain that suboxone can put on ones wallet. Perhaps you can contact NAABT.org and see if there is anything they can do regarding that situation. I find their site very informative, with Moderators who are so willing to help us......

Okay, one more thing. And I may get bashed for this but what the hell. Alcohol, pot and cocaine, while addicting for sure, does not have anywhere near the length of withdrawal from opiates. The bone pain, sleepless nights, restless leg syndrome and flu like symptoms that I will not describe is an absolute NIGHTMARE!! Ask any opiate/>>>>>> user about withdrawals and you will hear truly painful stories.....
    Last edited by SheLovesKoalas; 12-22-2007 at 11:33 PM.
    Hrmnee likes this.
    Janice
    I shall remain grateful for Suboxone...........

bob549 is offline New Member

All addiction is not just a mental thing. You have very real physical painful withdrawals from things benzos (xanex, valium, etc.), alcohol (if you're drinking large amounts everyday), and also from opiates. Methadone withdrawal the worst, suboxone is kind of bad. I'm an addict, so I understand you're perspective, but the more you push your wife for something she doesn't want to do, then you are running a huge risk that she will be dishonest with you. In my opinion, no one should ever be put on methadone for hydro addiction. That's like trading in your tricycle for a harley. You're getting on something more addictive. Your wife is actually on a low dose of suboxone. Most people are not affected that way by subs, especially after a few months of treatment. Does you wife take xanex, valium, ativan, or klonopin? If so, the interaction b/w those & the subs are causing the drowsiness. If not, she might be doing something you don't know about. If you decide to talk to her be understanding, patient, and non judgemental or you will just alienate her and not get the truth. I admire you all that fight it out w/ the addict you love, but I feel sorry for you to, because it's a hard damn battle. Good luck

oneprajnaseeker is offline New Member

Default your wife is taking something else

Your wife is nodding on that small amount of suboxone? She is on something else is my opinion. I agree it is beautiful you are sticking it out and helping her. I am on 16/4 mg day and nowhere near nodding. In fact, I feel energy and my symptoms of being sick are gone. I was strung out on methadone for the last year. Your wife is taking some other drug that is causing her to nod unless she is having some type of medical reaction to the suboxone. If that is the case her doctor needs to be contacted. No offense or harm intended, but your wife is lying to you about what she's taking. Don't bother with the codeine. It's not going to help. I hope you don't mind my bluntness...

No matter how much I love her, the memory of her lying and stealing during her Hydro addiction will be with me for a long time. She may be taking something else, I don't know right now. I was thinking that myself, but wanted to get some other advice and points from others. It may be that she's getting something from her mother, I don't know. She has a new friend that calls her alot, asking about Suboxone and where to get it. This friend is currently on Methadone, and from what my wife tells me, is trying to get off of it. My "GUT" feeling is that this friend is like some of her old friends that were there while the dope was around. They always need something, traded for stuff, and bummed off her. It amazes me at how hard some people work at getting a few pills. Very creative, they are. Not bashing, kind of admiring the hard work and dedication put towards a common goal. If that motivation could only be directed somewhere else....

But I have this same feeling now, like I did before. It is a hard battle. Finding the way to talk to my wife, without her rejecting my inquiry and resenting me for it. I will talk to her, and try to find out if she took something else with the Sub.

She has seemed fine yesterday and today. She's actually out shopping right now. But she slept about 12 hours straight last night and the night before (Friday) she slept from about 7 pm to 12 pm Saturday.

So, from what I understand, I need to look for any type of sedative or muscle relaxer to try to explain this nodding and "zombie" like state. I wont pry too deep, but I will try to figure it out. I asked her today if she wanted to go down to 2 mg Sub a day, and she acted like she didn't want me to tell her what to do. I just shut up and gave her the 4mg pill half. Maybe tomorrow she will want to go down, not gonna push it today.

p.s. Would Prozac have any effect with the Sub?

suboxone for pain is offline New Member

Default Suboxone Film - Husband Needs Care, too

Quote Originally Posted by Married2Addict View Post
    No matter how much I love her, the memory of her lying and stealing during her Hydro addiction will be with me for a long time. She may be taking something else, I don't know right now. I was thinking that myself, but wanted to get some other advice and points from others. It may be that she's getting something from her mother, I don't know. She has a new friend that calls her alot, asking about Suboxone and where to get it. This friend is currently on Methadone, and from what my wife tells me, is trying to get off of it. My "GUT" feeling is that this friend is like some of her old friends that were there while the dope was around. They always need something, traded for stuff, and bummed off her. It amazes me at how hard some people work at getting a few pills. Very creative, they are. Not bashing, kind of admiring the hard work and dedication put towards a common goal. If that motivation could only be directed somewhere else....

But I have this same feeling now, like I did before. It is a hard battle. Finding the way to talk to my wife, without her rejecting my inquiry and resenting me for it. I will talk to her, and try to find out if she took something else with the Sub.

She has seemed fine yesterday and today. She's actually out shopping right now. But she slept about 12 hours straight last night and the night before (Friday) she slept from about 7 pm to 12 pm Saturday.

So, from what I understand, I need to look for any type of sedative or muscle relaxer to try to explain this nodding and "zombie" like state. I wont pry too deep, but I will try to figure it out. I asked her today if she wanted to go down to 2 mg Sub a day, and she acted like she didn't want me to tell her what to do. I just shut up and gave her the 4mg pill half. Maybe tomorrow she will want to go down, not gonna push it today.

p.s. Would Prozac have any effect with the Sub?
    I know this is an old post, but I also know addicts and you could possibly still be in the same rut or someone else in a similar position.

A couple things. Will power has nothing to do with quitting. Addiction is a brain disease that manifests in odd and compulsive behavior (using, getting more, etc.). No two addicts should ever be compared because they are individuals. There may be similarities but you just cannot compare them.

It is a shame that the price of Suboxone is so much. The company is clearly making a lot of money as are the doctors who can prescribe it. There is a discount Suboxone film that is new and you can save money with a coupon. Get the Suboxone film coupon and take advantage of the $75 off.

You are co-dependent. You are being controlled by her addiction as much as her. At some point, you have to take care of yourself. Addicts hate ultimatums, but sometimes they're needed. You said you wouldn't "snoop" too much. Turn the place upside down. Why? Cause if she's lying and taking something else and you give her the subs, it can kill her. It sounds like it's time for some more "professional" help.

Respiratory failure caused by combining opiates w/other sedatives is what most die from, esp w/Methadone. A doc told me that any other doc who prescribes ANYONE any Benzodiazepines while they're on Suboxone is a fool. I disagree to some extent, depending on the patient.

Subs are sedating. Prozac could interact. Suboxone makes people tired. Just cause 1 addict says they take ___ amount and functions doesn't mean it's the same for her. You have to consider her depression, too (assuming from the prozac).

Always go w/the gut. It knows what we don't yet want to.

The suggestion to get codeine is just dumb. The idea that it's not "addictive if supervised" is counter-intuitive, but it sure is a good justification to take an opiate. Nothing addictive becomes non-addictive because someone is doling them out.

Part of the problem could have been the irregularity of the dosing. It should be same time of day, same dose, etc. A low dose is the best for Sub for opiate replacement. It's a tricky medication. I hope that you found some help. Addiction is a very frustrating disease, but it is a disease. You also need to help yourself. If your wife had cancer, people would also commend you for helping her, but they'd tell you to take care of yourself, too. Remember that.