What kind of damage am I doing?
    maintexas is offline New Member

Default What kind of damage am I doing?

So for the last year I have been taking anywhere from 5-20mg of Hydro (along with the 200-1500mg of Acetamenophen that comes with it). Maybe once or twice in that year I went to 25/2000, but never more. I am getting to the point that I am going to stop taking this garbage. But, right now I am concerned as to what kind of long term damage I may be doing / have done to kidneys, liver etc. During this year I have had challenges with constipation. Not fun.

Any thoughts?

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by maintexas View Post
    So for the last year I have been taking anywhere from 5-20mg of Hydro (along with the 200-1500mg of Acetamenophen that comes with it). Maybe once or twice in that year I went to 25/2000, but never more. I am getting to the point that I am going to stop taking this garbage. But, right now I am concerned as to what kind of long term damage I may be doing / have done to kidneys, liver etc. During this year I have had challenges with constipation. Not fun.

Any thoughts?

These drugs are metabolized in the liver. While it sounds like a good idea to stop now before this gets out of control, unless you already had liver problems to begin with, you'll be just fine. The liver is probably the most resilient organ in the body. My liver counts were off the charts after using 35 years and after being clean a while they were totally cleared up. If you get clean like you're saying NOW you shouldn't have anything to worry about. And everyone gets constipated taking opiates. When you stop that will correct itself almost immediately after stopping. Hope that helps. Let us know if you have any problems as you are stopping the hydros. You may be a little sick for a few days with flu-like symptoms but after about day four you'll be fine. Keep us posted. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    These drugs are metabolized in the liver. While it sounds like a good idea to stop now before this gets out of control, unless you already had liver problems to begin with, you'll be just fine. The liver is probably the most resilient organ in the body. My liver counts were off the charts after using 35 years and after being clean a while they were totally cleared up. If you get clean like you're saying NOW you shouldn't have anything to worry about. And everyone gets constipated taking opiates. When you stop that will correct itself almost immediately after stopping. Hope that helps. Let us know if you have any problems as you are stopping the hydros. You may be a little sick for a few days with flu-like symptoms but after about day four you'll be fine. Keep us posted. God bless.

Thank you for the well wishes. Not sure where to go with this. I started about a year ago like I said for a little back pain. Now. I take one a day for a "vacation" at a failry miserable job. Sometimes I will take another 1/2 at night. Not sure why other than the "vacation". No doubt there is an addiction there. But to what degree and what am I looking forward to.

Also I have read a ton on this about tolerance and getting out of hand. I have never let this get "out of hand" although some would consider taking anything for anything other than pain to be out of hand. That said the one to two a day has the same effect now as it did a year ago.

I am by no means looking for an "aww your fine keep going" because I am not. However, I am a bit curious why I have not gone down the slippery slope of gobbling 10-20 of these things a day.

Thank you for the well wishes. Not sure where to go with this. I started about a year ago like I said for a little back pain. Now. I take one a day for a "vacation" at a failry miserable job. Sometimes I will take another 1/2 at night. Not sure why other than the "vacation". No doubt there is an addiction there. But to what degree and what am I looking forward to.

Also I have read a ton on this about tolerance and getting out of hand. I have never let this get "out of hand" although some would consider taking anything for anything other than pain to be out of hand. That said the one to two a day has the same effect now as it did a year ago.

I am by no means looking for an "aww your fine keep going" because I am not. However, I am a bit curious why I have not gone down the slippery slope of gobbling 10-20 of these things a day.

I can't answer that question except to say that some people are prone to abusing drugs or alcohol more than others. If you've held it to one or maybe two pills in a day I commend you for that. You're the exception to the rule.

Most people that take opiates for a year will build up a tolerance and feed it. You will likely not have a hard time stopping. Just don't push your luck until you fall into the trap that I did and most everyone else here fell into.

I started taking hydros for sports injuries as I played competitive racquetball for over 20 years after high school. Had five knee operations, back problems and one thing led to another. By the 90s I was addicted to oxycodone. So be glad that you haven't done that. It's an easy trap to fall into very innocently. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

I can't answer that question except to say that some people are prone to abusing drugs or alcohol more than others. If you've held it to one or maybe two pills in a day I commend you for that. You're the exception to the rule.

Most people that take opiates for a year will build up a tolerance and feed it. You will likely not have a hard time stopping. Just don't push your luck until you fall into the trap that I did and most everyone else here fell into.

I started taking hydros for sports injuries as I played competitive racquetball for over 20 years after high school. Had five knee operations, back problems and one thing led to another. By the 90s I was addicted to oxycodone. So be glad that you haven't done that. It's an easy trap to fall into very innocently. God bless.

What is the best circumstance to tackle this? I would prefer to do it "quietly" I am married, have a job (for now). I would suspect that at the low amount I am taking that the W/D's should not be TOO BAD. But who knows. I don't have any experience with W/D's at any dose. Should I stop on a Friday and by Monday I should be good to go at work? Should I take a few days off or work from home to deal with the irritation and such one feels? at only 10-20mg of hydro a day is my anticipation of W/D's actually worse than the W/D's might be?

What is the best circumstance to tackle this? I would prefer to do it "quietly" I am married, have a job (for now). I would suspect that at the low amount I am taking that the W/D's should not be TOO BAD. But who knows. I don't have any experience with W/D's at any dose. Should I stop on a Friday and by Monday I should be good to go at work? Should I take a few days off or work from home to deal with the irritation and such one feels? at only 10-20mg of hydro a day is my anticipation of W/D's actually worse than the W/D's might be?

No one can say for sure but I would expect you will experience some w/d, nothing you can't handle, but I would be surprised if you didn't have flu-like symptoms for a few days.

Get some Imodium AD as you'll likely have some diahhrea for a day or two. That makes you dehydrated so drink something with lots of electrolytes such as Gatorade or Pedialyte. If you start this by taking your last dose on Thursday I bet you will be LOTS better by Monday. You sound like you are pretty solid and will be able to handle it in my experience just dealing with it over the weekend.

Opiates block our brain receptors from producing natural endorphines which help with our overall well-being. Exercise is the best medication there is to get those endorphines going again. Over the weekend push yourself a little depending on your physical condition. You don't have to run five miles unless you want to, but take long walks, swim, whatever you're able to do will expedite the recovery process.

If you need anything just post here. But I would bet you'll be fine doing this over the weekend. You may not be 100% by Monday, but you'll be well enough to resume your normal activities. The last thing that straightens out for us is sleep. So don't be surprised if you experience interrupted sleep for a little while. Hope this helps. God bless.

No one can say for sure but I would expect you will experience some w/d, nothing you can't handle, but I would be surprised if you didn't have flu-like symptoms for a few days.

Get some Imodium AD as you'll likely have some diahhrea for a day or two. That makes you dehydrated so drink something with lots of electrolytes such as Gatorade or Pedialyte. If you start this by taking your last dose on Thursday I bet you will be LOTS better by Monday. You sound like you are pretty solid and will be able to handle it in my experience just dealing with it over the weekend.

Opiates block our brain receptors from producing natural endorphines which help with our overall well-being. Exercise is the best medication there is to get those endorphines going again. Over the weekend push yourself a little depending on your physical condition. You don't have to run five miles unless you want to, but take long walks, swim, whatever you're able to do will expedite the recovery process.

If you need anything just post here. But I would bet you'll be fine doing this over the weekend. You may not be 100% by Monday, but you'll be well enough to resume your normal activities. The last thing that straightens out for us is sleep. So don't be surprised if you experience interrupted sleep for a little while. Hope this helps. God bless.
    Interestingly. I can't sleep when taking hydro. I have to supplement with a melatonin. Always been that way. Both Codeine and Hyrdrocodone create insomnia type nights where I toss and turn. Just an odd ball I suppose.

I think I will give this a shot over this coming weekend. I have a carribean vacation coming up in a few weeks. I would prefer this to be all behind me when I go.

I will post my experience, I will also post if I wimp out.

Interestingly. I can't sleep when taking hydro. I have to supplement with a melatonin. Always been that way. Both Codeine and Hyrdrocodone create insomnia type nights where I toss and turn. Just an odd ball I suppose.

I think I will give this a shot over this coming weekend. I have a carribean vacation coming up in a few weeks. I would prefer this to be all behind me when I go.

I will post my experience, I will also post if I wimp out.

Wish I was going to Carribean in a few weeks. Love to scuba dive, haven't been in a while. You won't wimp out! I can tell from talking with you. Good luck man!

Wish I was going to Carribean in a few weeks. Love to scuba dive, haven't been in a while. You won't wimp out! I can tell from talking with you. Good luck man!
    Oh man. You are certainly giving me more credit than I have earned. Of course now I do feel a bit obligated to give it a shot.

I guess that is the idea behing accountability partnering. If that term even exists.

indigo415 is offline Member

I totally agree with Robert. I don't think you are going to have a problem with this, you seem like a strong person. Just the fact that you didn't let this spin out of control, says a lot. I am the same as you with a lot of meds (not opiates for me.. i'm a full blown addict) but most pills have an opposite effect on me than others and it really baffles my doctor. I don't know if I'm odd here for this, but I always wanted to go away on a cruise, or to the beach, or somewhere nice to detox. So I was thinking IF, (which I'm sure you won't) you don't feel that you can do it over the weekend, maybe go on your cruise without the pills. To me, it would take my mind off of feeling down and it would make me push myself to do things and be happy. Instead of laying around the house in misery. Another thing, the 1st day being off is usually the easiest. Day 2 and 3 is usually the most intense physically for me. Maybe let Friday be your 1st day, then by Monday you would be on day 4 instead of 3. Best wishes to you and have a great time on your vacation!!! I'll check back, so please update on your progress!!