Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dog Talker
  • 1 Post By ARTIST658
Update on Methadone Withdrawal-need help with feelings!
    Dog Talker is offline New Member

Default Update on Methadone Withdrawal-need help with feelings!

I am now down to less than 7mg/day.Going down 10% per dose 3-4 days. Are these Dark, Depressed, feelings ever going to get better? this is the hardest thing I have done, always had problems with depression, but never so hard to have a happy thought. Is it the withdrawal/reductions? How low do I go before I just stop? Any other suggestions? Antidpressants have never done much for me-taking lots of supplements right now though.Will my mind/mood ever come back? Getting discouraged. Thanks to all who helped so far-you are in my prayers.
    GiGiLee58 likes this.

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

What you're asking is the million dollar question my friend. I've heard that jumping from 30mg is the same as dropping from 1mg and I've also heard that going down to micro doses worked wonders. I guess the best answer to that is how many hours of the day are you in withdrawal? If you feel like garbage 99% of the time maybe jumping is the answer. Quit when you're ready is the best and only advice you should get on that subject.

As far as the depression it really differs for every person. Most people will say if I can do it so can you! That's a crock. You have to work at it, you have to WANT it! You have to dedicate every waking moment to being happy and even then nobody knows if and when it will come back. The younger you are and the less time you abused drugs can play a factor in it also. Just make sure you have a plan for your aftercare, if you don't it could all be for nothing. I personally started methadone treatment about 4 months ago. I went 120 days sober without 1 good day and I reached my breaking point, I just couldn't bring myself to get up and do all the things needed to get better. There are others though with decades of abuse under their belt who made it to the other side so really its all about how much fight you have in you! Spirituality seems to help a lot also. Keep me updated will ya? I'm rooting for you big time! Seeing other people make it always gives me that little extra bit of hope. I think its like finding god, we all do it at different times in our lives

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Talker View Post
    I am now down to less than 7mg/day.Going down 10% per dose 3-4 days. Are these Dark, Depressed, feelings ever going to get better? this is the hardest thing I have done, always had problems with depression, but never so hard to have a happy thought. Is it the withdrawal/reductions? How low do I go before I just stop? Any other suggestions? Antidpressants have never done much for me-taking lots of supplements right now though.Will my mind/mood ever come back? Getting discouraged. Thanks to all who helped so far-you are in my prayers.
    Hey Dog Talker,

Yes, those dark, depressed feelings WILL get better. You're in the middle of the storm right now - at the tough part, so it's difficult to see that there really is a light at the end of the tunnel. Our brain chemistry is tremendously altered while we're addicted to narcotics, and the only way it starts healing is when the drugs stop completely.

We have severely limited the "feel good" chemistry that naturally regulates our mood - the dopamine, seratonin, endorphins and such - we "hijacked" the system, seeking out the quick fix of a drug to feel good. Later, once we're past the drugs, the brain has a remarkable ability to heal itself.

The antidepressants are not going to counteract this type of depression, so I'm not surprised you haven't had much success with them in the past. The good news is, AFTER you're free from any narcotics, your mood will lift gradually - and, if there is still depression remaining, antidepressants have a good shot at working. I don't suggest rushing to get them, however, as you need time clean and sober to see how your chemistry operates with nothing altering it.

You're fighting an uphill battle right now - but there are some things you can do to "fuel" a better mood. Remember this adage, "Whatever we focus on, increases." If we focus our minds on how depressed we are, how bleak things appear, how miserable our lives have become (etc.) - we will subconsciously filter out anything that contradicts that belief. Rather, we will zone in on any misery we can find - and that will only increase the negative thinking.

The same is true with a positive outlook. We will find what we expect to see - and we will avoid evidence to the contrary.

Another tool for boosting my mood that I recommend is meetings - NA or AA - same 12 step program, different substances. I have yet to go to a meeting and not feel better afterwards! There's something special that happens when you're surrounded by people who have walked in your shoes and who understand where you're at. We are there to help one another to stay clean. There are no leaders or followers; we're all just addicts trying to stay away from a drug for this one day. You do NOT have to be drug-free to attend meetings; all that is required is the DESIRE to stop using.

Last suggestion - what I do when all else fails - is to sit and write down a gratitude list. It may be a struggle to get going, when you're down, but if you start with the basics, like gratitude for being able to see or to hear - you'll find just how much there is that is good in your life. It's awfully hard to stay down in the dumps when you're filling your heart with gratitude.

You are on the path OUT of the misery, and what you're feeling now is a "normal" part of that transition. Be gentle with yourself - this isn't the time to beat yourself up over how you got where you were - but, as best you can, the time to cheer yourself on to finishing the battle. The end of this nightmare chapter of your life is very near.

Feel free to post as often as you like - I know that writing often helps to get the thoughts and feelings out.

God bless,
    Ruth
    FabFive likes this.