Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CAM16
Tramadol Withdrawal
    justwaiting2012 is offline New Member

Default Tramadol Withdrawal

Seems like I have gotten banned for my name. I apologize for that. Here is what my post was :

I am in desperate need of some good experienced advice. I was taking tramadol approximately 200 mg daily. I stopped taking it, and now have terrible shakes, and even when I lay down I have somewhat visual hallucinations. This is not typical opiate withdrawal. I do not want to be on this medication any longer. I have oxycodone tablets given to me for a back condition. I have been taking them to ease the withdrawal but it is only helping a bit. I know tramadol is an SSRI, I want to replace this aspect of the withdrawal with something. Does anyone have any experience using St John's Wort or Prozac to help taper off of this stuff? I am terribly scared. Please write me back ASAP.

Again, sorry for the mess. I just need some advice.

also, did you use a washout period?

And also if anyone could tell me if they too experienced with sleep. Close eyes and have a brain zap or like a bright color, let's say from the TV, still remain. I thiink I am in full blown SSRI withdrawal and don't know howto approach it.

I may try 5-HTP in order to get my natural serotonin flowing. Ultram really is a nasty drug. I think im going to just use my prescribed oxycodone and then taper from that when the SSRI component is over.

dlink01 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by justwaiting2012 View Post
    I may try 5-HTP in order to get my natural serotonin flowing. Ultram really is a nasty drug. I think im going to just use my prescribed oxycodone and then taper from that when the SSRI component is over.
    Be careful about adding oxy to your body. If you are already having issues with Ultram....I just can't see adding oxy as help

So, be careful and come back to us healthy

Thank you for the reply. Right now, I can't afford to miss work. Or go see another doc regarding this. Its just been passed off as Ultram as being non addicting.my first day I had bad visual disturbances, typical of SSRI discontinuation. Plan was just to get past the SSRI portion then taper from the oxy as I have done in the past. I don't mentally or physically want the drug. I just want to be off. Its just scared me, the symptoms and severe anxiety. I can't deal with that. I also have compounding variables in my life making that all worse. With an oxy taper though, how often and what percentage of dose reduction usually works? Maybe 10% every 3 days? I know SSRI withdrawal is nasty, but I've never really gone above 300 mg daily of ultram and have only been on it maybe 3 months?

My problem is just that im scared and feel like I can't talk to anyone. I think im doing better though. Tomorrow will be day 4 then ill start and oxy taper. I just need reassurance that ill be ok. This time yesterday I had a panic attack. Today though I used less oxy and have been a little anxious but nothing too major. I got sleep too. Maybe 4 hrs, woke up, and slept for 1.5 more.

MaisieC is offline Senior Member

Hi there justwaiting,

I really feel for you. What you're going through is hard. I've been there so many times with tramadol, believe me. I think I can help you, or at least hold your hand while you're doing this.

So you dropped from 200 mgs to nothing? That is a precipitous drop, and I would not recommend it. But if you're on day 4 and willing to hang in, that's fine. If it's too horrible, I would suggest getting back on the trams and tapering off gradually. You see how miserable it is, so you understand why I would recommend that.

Using the oxy is a good idea, if you are really committed to tapering off the stuff. I believe your thinking is correct--deal with getting off the SSRI and then deal with the opiate addiction. I've done it this way, and it works. People who haven't experienced tramadol withdrawal first-hand may frown on this, but it will work if you are committed to really tapering off the oxy and not just replacing one opiate with another. It's a good way to ease yourself off.

How much oxy do you have? If I were you, I'd take the taper slowly. Your body is going through a lot. I think dropping 10% every three days sounds wise.

The emotional symptoms, including the anxiety, are almost certainly the result of coming off the SSRI. If you are taking NO tramadol, you could try a small dose of Prozac to help with those symptoms, if you can get it. Don't ever mix trams with SSRIs, as you know.

When I was going through this, it helped me to remind myself that the emotional symptoms were just that--symptoms. I felt like the world was ending, I felt like I was going to die, etc. But those are just feelings--they're not reality. You're going to be getting better. It can take a while with this drug, so don't feel like there's something wrong if you don't feel great. I promise you your body and your brain will recover. I didn't sleep properly for months. But that's OK. Get as much sleep as you can, and you'll gradually get better and better.

When you feel up to it, get some exercise. That will help with the endorphins and also help you sleep. Take care of yourself--eat well, stay hydrated. Be very kind to yourself.

Hang in there. You're doing well, and you're going to be fine.

Good luck!
    Maisie

Thank you for the reply.

And jeez did you make me feel a ton better. Honestly thank you. Tramadol is ultra hard to come in that it does resemble a effexor type pain medication. Espbeith an 8 hour half life, from an SNRI stand point, its difficult to taper. And yes I do agree most people will probably look down upon, but I can truly taper from the opiate portion, I just have to go slow. As for the amount of oxy, well I have about 300 mg, and am only taking about 40 per day as of late because I was shaking so bad. I don't even think ill need that much to be honest daily. I think I can get more too. I don't want to go back on ultram. It is extremely difficult to taper. The worst might be over anyway. Im not nearly as nutty as I was 24 hrs ago. I usually take 10 mg when I start to shake, but I've beenn ok today. I've noticed this dose actually does get me drowsy which is a good thing from a tolerance stand point.

I wasn't even able to eat for the last 2 days but today I was finally able.

Ok, so what worked best for you? I don't know if I should try the prozac. I understand it has a long half life but I really really want to stay away from SSRIs. Too many interactions and SE.. im thinking maybe 5HTP and sam-e with omega 3s?

Never again will I touch that junk.

Wow my grammar sucks. It's my phones auto correct.

Anyways I just finished work and am going to pass out for good until my next shift. Will post tonight how I feel and if the SSRI portion is kaput.

AlmostHome is offline Junior Member

Wow my grammar sucks. It's my phones auto correct.

Anyways I just finished work and am going to pass out for good until my next shift. Will post tonight how I feel and if the SSRI portion is kaput.
    Here is my post from another thread, I hope it can help you.

Hello All,

I have been reading through this thread as people over the years have discussed their addiction and withdrawls. I am no different. I have an open ended script for tramadol because i have a lumbar that is in pieces and it is not operable without risk. I used to take it sporatically here and there when i was in dire need. I would hurt myself and become laid up for days, but i would still only take one or two when i was having an episode and needed to move. Then, my mother passed away when i was 29. For some reason i turned to my tramadol, i started taking 4 50mg pills in the mornng and 4 at night. When the pills started wearing off i would start crying uncontrollably. I had myself convinced that i was helping myself because i was now managing my pain very well and had very little back pain episodes. I found that i was starting to become very tired all the time so i did the smartest thing i did in a while and that was go down to six a day 3 in the morning and 3 at night. This was also coupled with a 10 year long daily marijuana habbit which i used as my "bottle of beer" at the end of the day. After I began taking tramadol daily my marijuana intake went from a way of winding down to a every waking moment habbit. This went on for about 3 years. I was a very functional addict, rarely missed work and had a healthy home life. I knew i was addicted, but honestly didnt care. Of course i could not go anywhere without my pill bottle because i was popping them like clockwork. I am gratefull that my usage didnt increase overtime, but i could not miss a pill for anything. Then one day my car was broken into and 120 pills were taken. It was on a sat night and it took me about 24 hours to get them replaced. This was the worst 24 hours i can remember in a long time. That was the point where i decided it was time. I wanted to be normal and not tied to a bottle of pills.

The first thing i did was to break up the dosages, instead of the peaks and valleys of taking three pills twice a day, i broke them up to 2 - 2 - 2. At this point i barely had any wdraw symptoms. After a week, i went to 2 - 1 - 2, again, i barely noticed this as long as i kept busy. During this time i went on a strict twice a day smoking schedule which did result in some discomfort, but this was also manageable.

The trouble came when i eliminated my afternoon pill altogether and was on 2 - 0 - 2. My afternoons became unbearable and even after i would take my evening dosage the symptoms would only slightly let up. Panik attacks, stomach cramps, insomnia, moodiness all hit me. At that point i realized where inwent wrong. I stayed at 4 pills a day, but broke them up to 1-1-1-1 every six hours, then after a few days i took one every seven hours, then 8. Eliminating pills as i went. IMO it is not how many you take in a day, but your levels over a 36 hour period which make you feel discomfort. By eliminating the peaks and valleys your body gets a softer landing and you are more likely to be effective.

I found hot green tea, hot baths (dont worry about looking like a girly man, it helps) and deep breathing to be invaluable.

I cannot believe how much more clear headed i feel, and how happy i am to be living my life instead of coasting through it. I hope my experience helps someone else.

Thank you for the reply.

And jeez did you make me feel a ton better. Honestly thank you. Tramadol is ultra hard to come in that it does resemble a effexor type pain medication. Espbeith an 8 hour half life, from an SNRI stand point, its difficult to taper. And yes I do agree most people will probably look down upon, but I can truly taper from the opiate portion, I just have to go slow. As for the amount of oxy, well I have about 300 mg, and am only taking about 40 per day as of late because I was shaking so bad. I don't even think ill need that much to be honest daily. I think I can get more too. I don't want to go back on ultram. It is extremely difficult to taper. The worst might be over anyway. Im not nearly as nutty as I was 24 hrs ago. I usually take 10 mg when I start to shake, but I've beenn ok today. I've noticed this dose actually does get me drowsy which is a good thing from a tolerance stand point.

I wasn't even able to eat for the last 2 days but today I was finally able.

Ok, so what worked best for you? I don't know if I should try the prozac. I understand it has a long half life but I really really want to stay away from SSRIs. Too many interactions and SE.. im thinking maybe 5HTP and sam-e with omega 3s?

Never again will I touch that junk.
    Hey there,

It's good to hear from you, and it's great to hear you're feeling better.

I'm not sure my experience with SSRIs and tramadol will be very helpful to you. I was ON one while I was using the trams, not understanding the nature of tramadol. (Why don't they TELL you what this drug is, instead of just throwing it at you saying it's a "non-narcotic pain reliever"?!) As soon as I tapered off the trams, I also tapered off the SSRI.

I think if you really want to stay away from the SSRIs, and if you're gradually getting better, you should stick it out if you can. Omega 3s might help. I use flaxseed oil every day. I don't know anything about 5HTP or sam-e. I think there are some other people on the board who have experience with them, though. You might browse around the site or start another thread with that specific question. A lot of people here don't come to the tram threads because they feel they don't understand tramadol. (It's really an opiate just the same as all the others that people get ensnared by--except it's also got this horrible SSRI component.)

It's great you've been able to start eating! That will help your mood and help regulate the anxiety, too. Also help your sleep.

You sound like you're doing well. Keep at it, take good care of yourself, and keep tapering. Don't be discouraged if you don't feel as well as you think you should. It takes a while with this drug, and you're making progress in the right direction!

Take care,
    Maisie

bearsky31385 is offline New Member

Question Tramadol Effects

Hi justwaiting, I was prescribed Tramadol and Lithium, and my doctor weened me off of Prozac.. My bottles say that it can make me dizzy..but said nothing about visual abnormalities. I can be washing the dishes and i see red water..or flashes of light, and little pictures that flash really fast when Im watching tv. I was put on these medicines for insomnia and depression..I take 100mg of the Lithium and 100 mg of the Tramadol..and my Dr actually wants to boost me up to 200mg of the Lithium (wrote an rx for it but after all these visual disturbances..ive stayed with just 100mgs..too scared to up the dosage..because webmd specifically says never cold turkey lithium or tramadol) I wish you well with this..it is scary..Im going through the same thing. I have to take neurontin for diabetic neuropathy and peroneal tendonitis and now since ive started taking lithium and tramadol..the neurontin isnt helping at allllllll with the pain from neuropathy and tendonitis... -i feel like a walking drug store by the way lol- I will check back later tonight on this thread.. Hope everything goes good with u. Have a great day & Feel Better
    Last edited by ddcmod; 01-14-2012 at 01:20 PM.

You have to watch your salt intake with lithium. The body can actually confuse lithium with sodium, and if you have too much /too little salt, since lithium is very close to sodium s properties on the periodic table, it can adjust the levels. Have you had your levels checked? He shouldn't be making too drastic adjustments with out checking. The tramadol shouldn't be taken with prozac either. Idk why doctors do this. What was your latest lithium level? And what is diet like?

Neurotonin can sometimes take a while to work, you need a good level before getting full effects. Ill have to check the CYP interactions on them, I can't think off the top of my head, but perhaps there are some interactions occuring. This can drop or raise levels. Im not a fan of lithium. If it helps, by all means use it.
    It just takes a good amount of monitoring. Please let me know if you more info on any of these drugs.

Neurotonin is hit or miss in most patients. You sometimes may need dose adjustment and upward titration if its not helping, but I know there is a celing dose with it. Always be honest with your MD.

Its been day 5 now and I feel good. Time to taper the oxy. I haven't exceeded 40 mg a day. my sleep has been ok im exhausted after working overnight tho. Anxiety is pretty much gone and no visuals anymore. Will try to drop to 10 mg every 8. I think im in good shape though. ultrams mu effects are so weak that tapering should be OK. But jeez that was scary. Never again.

Hi justwaiting,

I'm really glad to hear you're doing so much better. Yeah, that is a nasty drug. It sounds like the worst is passed, and you can just taper off the oxy, as you said. Good for you for getting through it!

Take good care,
    Maisie

CAM16 is offline New Member

Default Advice on Tramadol withdrawal

Soo I have been on Tramadol on and off, TRYING to get off but always end up not being able to handle the withdrawals or the addiction. I've been able to stay off for a maximum of 3 months at a time.

In my experience the first week is the worst, especially the 3rd day.. I have taken Oxycodone to ease the symptoms but doesn't help enough for me. What I have found effective to help with the body pain and the sleeplessness is Xanax. That sounds bad but I usually can get prescribed it for anxiety which I usually only get about 10 or 20 low dose so it perfect because I have no other source to get it other than the doctor so I can't end up abusing it. But I would take as least as possible and it helped tremendously. Most nights I was at the point I didn't even have any symptoms of withdrawals. Since I was taking such a low dose I personally never had withdrawals from the Xanax. If you think you would end up abusing the xanax I would not reccomend it because, I've heard the withdrawals from benzos are much worse than Tramadol, but I can't say for sure from person experience.

another thing that helps me is HOT HOT showers, baths, hot tubs as much as possible and I went and bought a heating pad and used that.

I did try st. johns wart medication and it didn't do anything to help with the withdrawals, but everyone is different. I also was on Celexa (an ssri) and Prozac and it didn't do anything. BUT I have a friend who has been on Celexa for a few years and she uses Tramadol (not a good idea really to take both!) but when she stops using Tramadol she a lot less time of withdrawal. Could be the Celexa or just her body, not 100% sure. But I've done a lot of research and it seems that Effexor may help with the withdrawal of Tramadol because it effects seritonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor which I believe are two things that Tramadol effects. (Just my opinion)

The thing to remember is that Tramadol withdrawal lasts a long time. The physical pain is the first to go but the depression, tiredness ect. last a long time. From what I've read it can take up to a year to feel completely normal. Knowing that helped me a lot because I wasn't waiting everyday to feel better. I just took it one day at a time. I take vitamins and energy vitamins for the day time and I try to always exercise everyday so that I am tired at night. If I can't sleep after working out, long hot bath and my heating pad I take some melatonin. If it gets really bad I take Nyquil. The hardest part is not getting addicted to a new substance or of course going back to Tramadol. Right now I'm on day 12 my physical symptoms are gone mostly other than headaches and constantly being weak/tired. My psychological symptoms are still there, some depression and of course wanting the Tramadol. But like I said I try to take it day by day, hour by hour...

Hang in there! Hope this helps some!
    Like I said these are things from my personal experience and everyone is different!

Cassie
    dlink01 likes this.

Mikeb333 is offline New Member

Default Tramadol withdrawal

Hi all,

I am now on day 17 of Tramadol withdrawal. I decided to go cold turkey method as I was offered the chance of a new job and found it hard to function on Tramadol. My doctor gave me Zopiclone sleeping tablets as insomnia was quite a problem.

I know everyone as their own opinion both for and against perscribed drugs. I think patients should be made aware just how addictive certain medication can be.

I have read loads of threads about Tramadol and luckily people like MaisieC have taken the time to offer support.

Now I certainly do not think it is easy but coming off is possible and at midnight at the end of each day I see that as another acheivement. Like any addiction I feel it is 1 day at a time and do not expect miracles overnight.

Best Wishes & Good luck to you all...
    Last edited by Mikeb333; 01-23-2012 at 08:26 AM.

GetClean2013 is offline New Member

I am stopping a 3 yr habit of tramadols 1000+mg and a 15 lortab and I talk to my doc and her has been amazing! Gave me a few different things to help.with sleep and anxiety..... don't be scared they are doc's and they have heard it all!!!

jk786 is offline New Member

Im on day four today after 5 horrible tears of tramadol abuse.i ysed to take up to 10-15 trammy a day then over the years I got dwn to two a day .. really cant believe im on day four.. wow.. ive been thru hell and back.. really wishd I did this before. . Anyone got any advice on how to regain energy.. im alone at home with two kids so its quite hard... cooking.. cleaning school runs but im getting there..
    I hvnt got anyone for help..

Notsurewhattoput is offline New Member

I know im probaly way to late but i have gone through these tramadol withdrawals, i know how horribe they are, those oxys ur taking and tons and tons of water is my best advise. It will pass in 3-5 days tops, good luck!!!