Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 303
Like Tree32Likes
Tramadol for depression
  1. #1
    Steve53 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    , , United Kingdom.
    Posts
    3

    Default Tramadol for depression

    I am new to this forum posting so hope I am doing ok, pressing the right buttons. Well anyway is there anyone out there who takes Tramadol purely for depression. A pal gave me a strip when I had a bad back and I found they were the best thing since sliced bread. When my back got better I carried on takeing them to treat my depression. I have been on them about a year now. I have taken many anti-depressants over the years but non have worked anywhere near as well as tramadol. They have been life transforming for me. I do treat them with caution and every so often will come off for three or four days when I will suffer mild opiate type withdrawal effects and then go back. I do not need to take more than Two 50mg caps per day and there is no need for me to increase the dose. I have not built up a tolerance to them, which I susspect would have been the case had the opiate effect been responsible for my mood enhancement. I have lots more energy and enthusiasm . I am aware that tramadol is prescribed primarily as a painkiller that acts on the same receptors as opiates but less so, hence the belief it is less addictive than most opiate type drugs, which I do believe. I have taken opiate drugs in the past so I no what an opiate buzz feels like and what I get from Tramadol isn’t that. It did not take me long to work out that something else was going on here, so I looked up tramadol for depression and found that it is indeed recognized as having anti-depressant qualities, not because of the opiate element but for its effect on serotonin, and more importantly its effect on noradrenalin. Tramadol has a weak effect on serotonin uptake but a strong effect on noradrenalin something the SSRIs don’t have. I deduced from this that it might be a noradrenalin deficiency in my case as opposed to serotonin. And a noradrenalin specific medicine might be the answer to my depression. Noradrenalin Reuptake Inhibitors (NNRIs) are apparently under used in the treatment of depression as they are relatively new medicines. Reboxetine (Edronax) being one of them is banned in the USA, but nobody can find out why. However there must be others that do the same job which the US has granted a licence for. Hear in the UK it is allowed and I hope this medicine could replace my Tramadol as I don’t need the pain killing effect tramadol offers. I have spoken to my doctor but here only a psychiatrist can prescribe Reboxetine, so I am waiting to find out if I can get it prescribed. If SSRIs are having little beneficial effects your problem might not be serotonin related at all it could be a Noradrenalin Defisiancy in which case NNRIs and not SSRIs might work best for you, hope you find this of some interest, I am not advocating anybody takes tramadol for depression but it worked for me and I think maybe gave me a pointer towards lack of noradrenalin as my problem. Have to wait and see. best wishes to you all. Steve
    Semaj2013 likes this.

  2. #2
    mpvt is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Canada.
    Posts
    2,648

    Default

    Very interesting post,I'm a true believer that there are people such as myself who are endorphin deficient.Unfortunately I developed an opiate addiction at an early age and spent 22 years trying to make myself feel normal.The reason I started early was because of herniated discs in my lumbar so I had to have surgery when I was 16.Like I said I abused opiates for 22 years before I found a doctor who wanted to try me on methadone.I was against it at first because of the stigma that goes along with methadone but I ended up trying it.Within 3 days my depression was totaly gone and I had it bad.I laid on the downstairs couch for a better part of 15 years just no giving a **** about anyone or anything.This doctor is treating some elderly people with 5 mgs of methadone evry day or even every other day and he is seeing some great results.Don't get me wrong I don't go around telling depressed people they should go on methadone but I'm prove that it can have a positive effect on one phsycie......Dave
    Quando62 likes this.

  3. #3
    Steve53 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    , , United Kingdom.
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Dear Dave There are people who advocate opiates for depression and lets face it when we are depressed we will do anything to shift it so i fully understand where you are comeing from. But its too big a risk if you havent got a habit to get one, and belive me that is why i am so carefull with the Tramadol and thats not the heavy stuff. I dont know a lot about this but i have used all kinds of self medication to ease my depression including opiates, drink, speed whatever but there must be something underlying this need to self medicate. My post about tramadol and noradrenalin was to highlight that i may have found the chemical that I lack by accident due to takeing tramadol. Who knows it might be the opiate effect in tramadol that is lifting my depression and not the noradrenalin all along but from what i have read about tramadol and the lack of tolerance to this medicine makes me think it isnt the opiate that is lifting my mood. I dont see any problem in the elderly geting methadone if it is well regulated but it could be tricky ground and of course the medical profession at large would never allow it let alone any government. take care Steve

  4. #4
    samuel1959 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    1

    Default

    This is response to Steve53 in the UK. This is Sam form Philadelphia in the US. I have had the identical results from Tramadol, including finding it, per chance, to alleviate pain. I, also, have had mild to moderate Depression for years. I have taken the SSRI's and the SNSRI's, as well as the tricyclics from years back. NOTHING works as well as Tramadol (or also sold in the States as Ultram)for me for Depression.
    I have done some internet searching, and there is some research that does confirm the anti-depressant effects of the medication.

  5. #5
    ladybird is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    11

    Default

    I used Tramadol for about a year and a half for arthritis. It started as a use for back pain that went down my leg which was caused by uterus polyps.

    Anyway, i had minor RA and it became full fledge, put me in bed, Rheumatoid Arthritis.

    I unfortunately found out this year that at least 80% of RA pain was in fact caused by Ultram (tramadol).

    It is a rare side effect, but happened to get me.

    Anyway, it's been somewhere around a week (can't believe i don't know the number) but my body became addicted to it and caused very very horrible after effects that lasted at least a week long.

    If at all possible, i suggest getting off this drug. In fact, I would suggest using other things and never going to this. It causes epileptic effects to a large amount of people, it causes horrible swelling of the joints and causes more pain in most people who use it regularly.

    I must say though, my depression was gone the whole time i was on it which was WONDERFUL. I would rather be depressed than go through what I did on it and getting off it, but I will admit it did wonders for my depression and panic attacks.

    I wish you well.

  6. #6
    hawesd is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1

    Default Tramadol For Depression

    I am 22 years old and have suffered severe depression for as long as I can remember. When I was 17 I suffered a severe hip injury playing high school football, which ruined any chance of a college career . Anyway, I began taking tramadol for severe pain associated with arthritis due to my numerous surgeries. As soon as I began taking in, I noticed a HUGE difference in my depression. When I got off of tramadol, I went back to my normal miserable self, rarely getting out of bed, when I went off to college, I dropped out after sleeping all day and flunking out. I became desperate and tried to think of times in my life where I was "happy" the only times I could think of were when I was on tramadol. I have been on tramadol for about a year now, and have played it very carefully due to the possible addictive factors. I will take for 2-3 weeks and go off for a week. I am the happiest I have ever been. I am back in college and will graduate in Dec. with honors. I am certainly not advertising for anyone to go out and take tramadol for depression, I am simply sharing my experience so others can have one more reference when reseaching other options. I went from taking Zoloft, Trileptal, Clonopin, and Geodon, to just taking a small dose of Zoloft and 2 50mg caplets of tramadol a day. I know that mainstream doctors have not yet fully accepted tramadol as an accepted form of depression medication, but it sure has worked wonders for me. I only wish to relay my personal experience with others so that they may have one more option to look at when searching for depression relief. I hope this helps others to certainly consider speaking with their doctors about tramadol and the amazing effects it has had on my depression.

  7. #7
    Adrian70 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11

    Default

    I have used Tramadol for other then depression in the past, usually for pain relief from a permanently torn pectorial muscle, but found they are very effective to treat my depression which i have struggled with for many years. I have been prescribed a Myriad of Anti-depressants over the years and none have ever been anything that even resembles effective.Tramadol have given me the best and happiest year of my Adult life, im sure Tramadol are not for everyone and that some may experience unwanted side effects.so i can only speak for me but i can confirm that Tramadol CAN work effectively to treat depression for some.

  8. #8
    PostOp Pete is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Just to add... I'm not normally depressed by nature, but I have noticed a nose dive in to depression when trying to stop taking Tramadol cold turkey. Am guessing that confirms that in some way Tramadol really does elevate your mood, though I wasn't particularly aware of that effect while I was taking it.

  9. #9
    automat is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4

    Default

    thats really cool to know, but i gotta say i was just prescribed tramadol for a recent (car accident - a woman smashed/pinned my legs against another cars bumper from behind) leg injury recently which sucked because i was using the methadone to get off >>>>>> and since that happend i needed something else for pain cause it still hurt even though i was on methadone, so i was going to begin tramadol after getting off the methadone maintanence program for last three months for opiod(>>>>>>) addiction and also the depression which came along with stoping (H). methadone has totally done wonders i tell you. So i feel like i'm in a weird position, trying to get off of (H) and the pain i have now caused by the accident in my legs, I didnt want to use them both at the same time because i dont think it is a good idea from what i have been reading as well as the medical precautions. So but this past weekend i was unable to make it over the weekend (sat/sun) to get my methadone so i thought i would break into my bottle of Tramadol and use it over the weekend; as far a pain it worked a little bit, i had to take one (50mg) every 3/5hrs from sat morning on, but i noticed i got really depressed which was weird when i came across this post reading that it did wonders for your depression, i am hoping to eventualy get off the m-done but man im wondering if the depression came back because i switched so suddenly to tramadol from m-done. so this morn (monday after the weekend of the switch) i took my dose of m-done and boy do i feel great, not depressed at all and my pain is faded...anyway, i just thought i would add my thoughts on this,and maybe get some other thoughts/opinions... i am hoping to eventually get off the m-done and that i can use the tramadol later on for the pain in my leg/knee.but should i ask to switch to something else?

  10. #10
    mpvt is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Canada.
    Posts
    2,648

    Default

    Don't take tramadol when your taking methadone.You're feeling the early effects of withdrawl which is what happens when you take tramadol.
    Tramadol wo't even touch you if your taking methadone, you're better off on dilaudid or fentanyl as they can break thru methadone although not that well.
    If you're having pain issues then get your methadone dose raised.Good luck....Dave

  11. #11
    Davy31 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Like others here, I had depression since my early teens, often lasting for months at a time, completely screwing up my life whenever the depression was at its worst. Depression was always present at some level, sometimes mild enough so that I could get on with things, but always kicking in big time at some stage, making everything seem a pointless effort. After a back injury at work, and a prescription of tramadol which has been repeated since the injury, the depression has gone. I haven't felt so good in as long as I can remember. Things I hadn't been interested in have regained their appeal, my wife and kids say I've become more cheerful and positive than they've ever known.

    The only problem I do have is tolerance to the drug, which has led to an increase in the dose to 400mg per 24 hours. I'm keeping it at that level, my doctor says it's within safe limits, anything above wouldn't be too good for the liver. I'm sure I'd have a tough time coming off, but I really don't want to, given the profound effect for the better on my life as a result of the relief from crushing depression, not to mention its excellent analgesic properties. If I'm addicted, it's a price I'm happy to pay for this quality of life.
    Last edited by Davy31; 12-05-2007 at 05:23 PM.

  12. #12
    Adrian70 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Davy31 View Post
    Like others here, I had depression since my early teens, often lasting for months at a time, completely screwing up my life whenever the depression was at its worst. Depression was always present at some level, sometimes mild enough so that I could get on with things, but always kicking in big time at some stage, making everything seem a pointless effort. After a back injury at work, and a prescription of tramadol which has been repeated since the injury, the depression has gone. I haven't felt so good in as long as I can remember. Things I hadn't been interested in have regained their appeal, my wife and kids say I've become more cheerful and positive than they've ever known.

    The only problem I do have is tolerance to the drug, which has led to an increase in the dose to 400mg per 24 hours. I'm keeping it at that level, my doctor says it's within safe limits, anything above wouldn't be too good for the liver. I'm sure I'd have a tough time coming off, but I really don't want to, given the profound effect for the better on my life as a result of the relief from crushing depression, not to mention its excellent analgesic properties. If I'm addicted, it's a price I'm happy to pay for this quality of life.
    yepp..n i agree..i only seem to have to use 150mg per day and im fine..coming off isnt too bad for me..i just taper the doses down and dont feel the refferrece point so sharply..i have a moth off..and when things become to much i taper up to 150 again..and yer so what if they name it addiction..addiction to leading an interested and cheerfull life aint so bad..cheers!

  13. #13
    Carol5268 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1

    Default Tramadol for depression, cont'd

    I started taking Tramadol for severe pain app. a year ago from my descending colon where there is nerve damage and found it very helpful for the pain. However, there was the added effect of feeling really good and having tremedous energy. And I swear it had increased my IQ. My mind had been turning to mush due to not being able to work and being in pain all the time but since I started tramadol I have developed an interest in just about everything! (science, theology, literature, current events, the economy, ect...) I also find it helpful in giving me more physical energy to complete tasks. Since my illness, I have become a virtual recluse. (Still am, but a bit better.) I read constantly. (I have always been a voracious reader) but now I can't seem to take in enough information! Most importantly, my attitude is more positive. (I am a pessimist changing into an optimist.) My mind is clearer and astute. I believe a lot of this has to do with the Tramadol. (I even wrote a novel when I first started taking it.) I still have to struggle with negative thoughts but can quickly re-direct my thoughts to positive ones when I sense the negative ones coming on. (This isn't all the time, but more than before Tramadol.) When I first started asking my GI doctor to prescribe it to me because the pain was unbearable, he was adamant about not prescribing a pain killer to his patients. Never mind, that I was in agony and couldn't get out of bed most of the time! He did prescribe Bentyl which I have been taking for years but the side effects are horrible and I have to take a tranquilizer with it to counter-act the side effects.So I asked my psychiatrist to prescribe tramadol for the pain because I had had Tramadol in the past and it had worked well for the pain. He prescribed it app. a year ago. Starting dosage 100 mgs and now up to 300 mgs per day as needed. I tend to hover around 200-250 mgs per day. The problem being is that even if I am not in pain, I feel a slump and terrible fatigue if I do not take the Tramadol. And sometimes I develop a tolerance. I feel guily when I take Tramadol when I am not in pain and try not to take it but a lot of the time, I get so damn tired, I take it. Also, I'm always looking for that lift which most of the time I get after I take Tramadol. (But not always. Mostly I feel the lift when I have some degree of pain as opposed to none) I too have a history of depression, low mood and even periods of clinical depression which I haven't had in years knock on wood. BUT I feel like I used every anti-depressent on the American market and maybe have an immunity to them now. (I'm interested in these Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors as I have never heard of them and wonder if I'm deficient in those too like the earlier post stated) So I don't know if I have developed some kind of dependency on Tramadol (alright, I have) but they do make me more interested in life and do help with this pain! I haven't told my psychiatrist that the tramadol has helped me with my depression. He thinks they just made me spacey (sometimes they do) because I don't want him to think I am addicted to them and take me off of them. I'm afraid if that would happen, not only would I be depended on that awful Bentyl to treat my pain, I would also lapse into a deep depression. Interesting comments everyone made about the anti-depressent effects. Thanks, Carol

  14. #14
    el_bubu is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1

    Default Tramadol May Have Saved My Life!!!

    I too have discovered the anti-depressant effect of Tramadol. I have been depressed my whole life, low to mid level, with generalized anxiety and now I feel better than I have ever felt. I have tried a lot of different anti-depressants, but nothing seemed to help. This year it got worse after a break-up of a relationship, and I have been suicidally depressed for the last 9 months. I tried Prozak which did not help a bit. I have been on Lexapro, which I started three weeks ago, and it helped just a little bit, but I was still wanting to die and waking up in a state of high anxiety and still could not enjoy a second of my life. I took (100 mg) of the Tramadol for some pain I was in, and within 30 minutes of taking it, my depression was gone. No depression and no anxiety!
    I read that it is dangerous to take Tramadol with SSRIs as it can cause Seratonin Syndrome, so I cut way back on the Lexapro from 20 mg to 5 mg and am on day five of feeling great! I am taking 200mg of the Tramadol, 100mg on awaking and 100mg in the afternoon. I dont feel high, like the feeling of taking vicodan or percadan, just calm and centered. I had taken the Tramadol with the Prozak six months ago and did not notice the anti-depressant effect, just a little relaxation of my stomach and mild anxiety relief, so I am thinking that the combination of the Lexapro and Tramadol has something to do with the miracle I am experiencing. Since Tramadol works on both seratonin and noradrenaline, and Lexapro on seratonin only, I have been researching anti-depressants that do this also and have come accross one called Effexor (Venlafaxine HCL) Effexor which is used for depression, generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), and social anxiety disorder (SAD). I have ordered this on the internet and will give this a try when it comes in a few weeks. Hopefully the Seratonin/Noradrenaline properties of this will have the same miracle effect, as the idea of taking a painkiller for long periods of time is not ideal. I will report back with the results.
    Last edited by el_bubu; 10-16-2008 at 09:20 PM.

  15. #15
    rxinfonbs is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    15

    Default tramadol for depression

    Tramadol is a synthetic opiate with seratonin and norepenephrine reuptake blocking properties (kind of like the SSRIs). However, because it is an opiate and thus has a high abuse potential, it is not perscribed to treat depression. For me, however, it works wonders for my depression, and I do not respond to the SSRI antidepressants (the zolofts, paxils, and Lexapro's). If you do a search on the web or on google scholar (scholar.google.com), you'll see that Tramadol has been found in various tests to have significant antidepressant properties.

    The established medical community is very anti opiate when it comes to depression or mood issues. Why? Well, goes back to some laws that were passed (Harrison Narcotics Tax Act of 1914 and more) that helped make opiates unattainable. IN the 1800's they were unregulated and in many other country's and cultures were socially acceptable, more so than alcohol. But doctors today are taught that people will always fall victim to addiction if they take an opiate, that they won't be able to regulate there intake and will become junkies and abusers. Wrong. I use this medication responsibly. If I took a bunch would I get high? Yeah. But I know better. Im mature enough to know the consequences.



    Opiates aren't bad. They are underused for for mood & depression. The potential for abuse makes the medical establishment scared to perscribe them for anything but pain, but Tramadol is so effective for some people's depression that it really should be looked into. The addiction model that the medical establishment abides by does not apply to every individual.

    Sorry I know I rambled a bit on about this but I thought I would share all my thoughts with you about this drug, one that has been very helpful to me in helping me meaintain a highly functional, quality life...uncrippled by the depression I was so used to for years. - NBS

    Read this article... About a woman who had zero success with traditional antidepressants but found an opiate to be effective..Her struggle/journey is quite interesting.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 08-13-2012 at 01:43 AM.
    butteflylove likes this.

  16. #16
    Marlin Fan is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rxinfonbs View Post
    Tramadol is a synthetic opiate with seratonin and norepenephrine reuptake blocking properties (kind of like the SSRIs). However, because it is an opiate and thus has a high abuse potential, it is not perscribed to treat depression. For me, however, it works wonders for my depression, and I do not respond to the SSRI antidepressants (the zolofts, paxils, and Lexapro's). If you do a search on the web or on google scholar (scholar.google.com), you'll see that Tramadol has been found in various tests to have significant antidepressant properties.

    The established medical community is very anti opiate when it comes to depression or mood issues. Why? Well, goes back to some laws that were passed (Harrison Narcotics Tax Act of 1914 and more) that helped make opiates unattainable. IN the 1800's they were unregulated and in many other country's and cultures were socially acceptable, more so than alcohol. But doctors today are taught that people will always fall victim to addiction if they take an opiate, that they won't be able to regulate there intake and will become junkies and abusers. Wrong. I use this medication responsibly. If I took a bunch would I get high? Yeah. But I know better. Im mature enough to know the consequences.



    Opiates aren't bad. They are underused for for mood & depression. The potential for abuse makes the medical establishment scared to perscribe them for anything but pain, but Tramadol is so effective for some people's depression that it really should be looked into. The addiction model that the medical establishment abides by does not apply to every individual.

    Sorry I know I rambled a bit on about this but I thought I would share all my thoughts with you about this drug, one that has been very helpful to me in helping me meaintain a highly functional, quality life...uncrippled by the depression I was so used to for years. - NBS

    Read this article... About a woman who had zero success with traditional antidepressants but found an opiate to be effective..Her struggle/journey is quite interesting.

    http://www.elle.com/featurefullstory...the-dolls.html
    You are the last person to post here. I just read these threads today and have registered today. Have been taking Tramadol for 4 days, It is amazing and a miracle. Too early to tell. Does anyone here know how to continue on this thread about Tramadol for Depression, and make your own post??
    I cant figure it out.

    Thank You

  17. #17
    Marlin Fan is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    6

    Default How do you post ??

    I am new here.

    All I seem to be able to do is Post Reply, Edit, and Quote.

    How do I write my own post on Tramdol for Depression. Maybe this

    will work?

    Thanks

  18. #18
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Fan View Post
    I am new here.

    All I seem to be able to do is Post Reply, Edit, and Quote.

    How do I write my own post on Tramdol for Depression. Maybe this

    will work?

    Thanks

    You can click on reply and post here if you like or click to start a new thread and start an entirely new thread with your info. Either way is okay.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    97

    Default Opiates for depression

    I have talked my long term doctor into giving me daily long term opiates for depression. But matter how hard I try I cannot stick to the prescription. No matter what he gives me it is never enough...never.

  20. #20
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IllMissMyNorcos View Post
    I have talked my long term doctor into giving me daily long term opiates for depression. But matter how hard I try I cannot stick to the prescription. No matter what he gives me it is never enough...never.

    While opiates may serve to help some people with depression, although I personally think that's just an excuse to use, it definitely is not the answer for you. As you just said you can't handle them. You continue to abuse them when you have them in your possession. You aren't going to get any help with depression doing this. They will just end up making you more depressed as you know you shouldn't be doing this, you know you will not take them as prescribed just like you said. So why bother doing this to yourself??? God bless.

  21. #21
    Anonymous Guest

    Default opiates for depression

    Hi illMissMyNorcos
    How ya been??? I just wanted to tell ya how my opiates made me depressed oh sure it was fun at first.But you know what they do especially when we cant take them like we are suppose to,Witch i never could not once...
    Then I was more depressed then I could Handel,Girlfriend you know what we need to do with those opiates,They need to be flushed...you can do this.
    If I can do it anyone can...Talk to ya soon,Melinda

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    97

    Default Melinda and Robert

    Hey you two! Melinda..I haven't been posting much..but I always keep up with my girls...you, greenday, money...sister...You have no idea the support you give me girl. If you can do it, I know I can too. How are you doing right now? You are right. Opiates for depression is a joke, and I agree with Robert that it is an excuse to use for sure. I always think that I am so lucky, that I have a good thing going with this doctor...really I have an awful thing going that is just torture for me and has been for years.
    Robert..my hero. I am going to post on the other thread. I hope you will be around today.

  23. #23
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IllMissMyNorcos View Post
    Hey you two! Melinda..I haven't been posting much..but I always keep up with my girls...you, greenday, money...sister...You have no idea the support you give me girl. If you can do it, I know I can too. How are you doing right now? You are right. Opiates for depression is a joke, and I agree with Robert that it is an excuse to use for sure. I always think that I am so lucky, that I have a good thing going with this doctor...really I have an awful thing going that is just torture for me and has been for years.
    Robert..my hero. I am going to post on the other thread. I hope you will be around today.



    I will be here on and off today just like always. Would love to help you turn things around for YOU ... to get things going on a totally positive track for you to stay on.

    Yes we most always think it's a cool thing to have a dr handy that will do whatever. I have had doctors like that too that would do anything I asked them to do. As good as they seem at the time they are actually a curse. They will eventually be a major part of our demise if we continue to maintain the relationship. I wish you would sever that relationship for your own well being before things become worse than they are.

    Let me know what I can do to help you. Would you like for me to call your dr for you???? I will be happy to if you want. God is just waiting for you to ask for help, to become totally committed to getting well. I am here if I can help. God bless.
    butteflylove likes this.

  24. #24
    rxinfonbs is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Fan View Post
    I am new here.

    All I seem to be able to do is Post Reply, Edit, and Quote.

    How do I write my own post on Tramdol for Depression. Maybe this

    will work?

    Thanks
    Marlin Fan....Please be careful using Tramdol for your depression. Always keep in mind the risk of abuse that an opiate has. If you have the ability to put the breaks on, to know when to stop, and to use it strictly for your depression, then I can't tell you not to use it. This is why I use it. I take between 100 and 200 mg per day. I also build in drug holidays, every couple weeks, where I go two days of taking less (this helps lower a tolerance I may have built up).

  25. #25
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rxinfonbs View Post
    Marlin Fan....Please be careful using Tramdol for your depression. Always keep in mind the risk of abuse that an opiate has. If you have the ability to put the breaks on, to know when to stop, and to use it strictly for your depression, then I can't tell you not to use it. This is why I use it. I take between 100 and 200 mg per day. I also build in drug holidays, every couple weeks, where I go two days of taking less (this helps lower a tolerance I may have built up).



    I agree that everyone needs to be careful taking any medications especially those that can be addictive if abused. But the person you are replying to has only taken tramadol for four days if you read the posts. I don't know if we should be automatically saying they should "put the brakes on" now while they are able.

    Some people are prescribed medications because they actually should have the prescription. It's not really our place to tell someone on a medication for four days that they shouldn't be taking it. We are not drs here. There are no indications here of abuse or anything negative. This person just asked a question about posting or starting a new thread.

  26. #26
    rxinfonbs is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    I agree that everyone needs to be careful taking any medications especially those that can be addictive if abused. But the person you are replying to has only taken tramadol for four days if you read the posts. I don't know if we should be automatically saying they should "put the brakes on" now while they are able.

    Some people are prescribed medications because they actually should have the prescription. It's not really our place to tell someone on a medication for four days that they shouldn't be taking it. We are not drs here. There are no indications here of abuse or anything negative. This person just asked a question about posting or starting a new thread.

    What I was saying is, that anyone (him included), who is using the med for depression, should have their "brake system" in tact...in essense just be aware of the abuse potential and know when you're losing the ability to not take the drug. Please read my much longer post above for more which includes a link to an excellent article on a woman's discovery of opiates to treat her depresson...(I made the post on 10/24 in this thread)

  27. #27
    Marlin Fan is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rxinfonbs View Post
    What I was saying is, that anyone (him included), who is using the med for depression, should have their "brake system" in tact...in essense just be aware of the abuse potential and know when you're losing the ability to not take the drug. Please read my much longer post above for more which includes a link to an excellent article on a woman's discovery of opiates to treat her depresson...(I made the post on 10/24 in this thread)
    I appreciated your feedback as well as "Robert 325". The miracle of the first few days was a euphoria back to when I felt normal. As the days rolled on I was a little disapointed in it losing effect. I was using what has been listed as the maximum recommended which was 400mg. I went back down to 200 mg and than without it for day.

    Today I really bottomed, so a few hours ago took 200mg. The good news...It worked again!!...Not like those first few days. But it sure did help.
    I think there is a way to use Tramadol effectively. Most of the SSRI's dont do well for me because of the side effects. Im going to work with this for awhile. I'll check back with you and give you an update.

  28. #28
    rxinfonbs is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Fan View Post
    I appreciated your feedback as well as "Robert 325". The miracle of the first few days was a euphoria back to when I felt normal. As the days rolled on I was a little disapointed in it losing effect. I was using what has been listed as the maximum recommended which was 400mg. I went back down to 200 mg and than without it for day.

    Today I really bottomed, so a few hours ago took 200mg. The good news...It worked again!!...Not like those first few days. But it sure did help.
    I think there is a way to use Tramadol effectively. Most of the SSRI's dont do well for me because of the side effects. Im going to work with this for awhile. I'll check back with you and give you an update.
    Ok good. Well. I too find that I have to go a day or two of really lowering my dose..as a way to lower my built up tolerance and reactivate the effectiveness of the drug. Yes, please keep me updates, as Im interested in others experiences in taking this drug for its antidepressant properties.

  29. #29
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    This has become an interesting topic to me. I obviously don't know everything about anything. I'm certain there was a medicinal purpose at least at one time for my RX drug use. I have to admit however that it turned into mostly gluttony after a relatively short number of years.

    It always seemed to me that using RX pain meds to deal with depression was a joke, nothing more than an excuse for us to use something else. That is the way it was for me at least. I am NOT a tramadol fan but perhaps there could be something legitimate to this I never could see. I am always anxious to learn something new from those who have actual knowledge. Please continue to share as much about your experience with this as possible. I for one am interested. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 11-10-2008 at 01:10 AM.

  30. #30
    hensley258 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5

    Default Tramdol for Severe depression

    rxinfonbs please reply ASAP.

    I am a 17 year sufferer of Severe Depression and Anxiety. I am now only able to get partial relief from even the most powerful antidepressant medications and combination.

    In the last couple days I have read literally hundreds of reports from (non-addicts) that suffer severe depression that now are living again with the use of Tramadol as a profoundly effective antidepressant.

    My condition has now deteriorated to a very low level even with antidepressant therapy. There was a time when they were very effective, but not so much anymore.

    I want my life back! I need your experience to guide me thru, how to utilize Tramadol for this. I do not, nor ever had any past drug addiction issues, which is why I think I may be able to use Tramadol responsibly to get results.

    At this point even my Psychiatrist has written me off as non-responsive to SSRI's and SNRI's. Like he is given up on me or something.

    My condition is totally non-situational. (meaning I have no outward reason to be depressed) in fact my life is fine except the fact that my Severe Depression and anxiety have me feeling bad most the time.

    AD meds work still, but only for awhile and then it's back to trying new AD meds. I'm tired of the medication rollor coaster.

    If taking Tramadol means risking addiction, so be it. I already have one foot in the suicide grave anyway. I will choose Tramadol over a coffin anyday.

    Please contact ASAP. I need info. Email me at hensley258 at aol.com
    Last edited by ddcmod; 03-03-2010 at 02:31 PM.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22