Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
Tramadol for depression
    rxinfonbs is offline New Member

Hi Hensley258, I emailed you but will also post my response here:

I definately think it would be beneficial for us both to share our experiences with eachother in regards to the tramadol use. I've actually been looking for someone to collaborate with, another individual who has had a similar experience with depression and discovered this medication to be very helpful. There are a couple reasons for this. One is that it can be a bit worrisome going about this completely alone. Lets face it, there is little support for what we are doing (taking this drug for our mood) in the US. Doctors here frown upon using opiates for depression (for historical reasons that I mention in prior posts to the message board). So you and I, if we choose to pursue using this drug as an antidepressant, are basically going against the medical establishment in this country. Let us not be shamed into thinking we are bad people for doing this (lots of people will tell us that we're just addicts looking for an excuse to get high, they'll tell us that of course pain pills make us feel better, but that we can't use them for that). So...I guess what I'm trying to say is that its kind of nice to be in touch with someone else who shares my views/experiences with this drug (meaning you). In that sense we can be a support for eachother, because doctors sure as hell won't be.

Secondly, we there are some unknowns to this journey for both of us. I too have had little to no success with the traditional antidepressants. For years and years (I'd probably say for most of my life) I struggled with depression and anxiety. It affects all facets of life; hurts relationships, ambition, ability to enjoy anything...i mean, god, it's awful isnt it? Depression is so debilitating. I would see what it did to my life, and as I got older (Im 27 now), I was less and less willing to put up with it, meaning more and more willing to just end it all.

When I took a tramadol I was happy (I'm new to it too, having first taken in in July of this year). I liked being around people again. I appreciated things in people, wasn't irratable and liked life. It didn't take a bunch of them to get me there, just one. One 50 mg pill could make such a difference in my experience in life..So I thought to myself, well there are people who are prescribed 4-5 or more of these pills a day....and just ONE is so incredibly beneficial to me. I had no problem justifying to myself that I could take these to feel good about life. It didn't look like drug abuse. Maybe drug "misuse", seeing as though I was (still am) using them for something they are not prescribed for, but since my dosage was well in the normal realm, I didn't feel as though I was harming my body. I think that is the standard I measure this by....is it doing harm to my body or those around me? The answer is no, in fact all evidence points to the opposite. I am less stressed, less anxious, happier (all of which have positive physical manifestations as well as beneficial effects on relationships). Whats the negative? Well very little that I can see. I don't think it is bad for the liver in moderate doses (I know alcohol is a lot worse and I don't really drink). Tolerance and dependance is where is gets a bit fuzzy.

So I've been taking tramadol since July of this year (bout 5 months now , and surely the most stable 5 months of my life). I told myself when I got the bottle of pills that I would only take these when needed, in situations where I'm more anxious or in times when I was feeling particularly low. That didn't last. Mainly because I found that my day-to-day experience was so enhanced, so much better, with a small amount of this drug in my system, that I almost immediately was taking 1 or 2 pills per day. So I went on doing that for a week or so. Then decided to take another, upping to to 3 a day....still, i told myself, I am well in range of normal dosage for this drug. And I went on taking 2 - 3 a day for a couple weeks. Now, in those days sometimes I would take one or two more, not often, but there were days I took 4 or 5. Did I get really happy? Hell yeah, elated. But thats not why Im taking them, and I scolded myself for doing that, for abusing a drug that was so beneficial to me for depression. So i'd go back down to 2 or 3.....and then I noticed that, oops, I really do need 2 or 3 or I get kind of anxious and almost shakey....Yes, tolerance does build up with tramadol. If you take a given dosage for a couple weeks, you may either find that it will soon no longer have a strong effect anymore and you'll need to up the dosage to get the same effect. But, the good thing is that there are ways around this. Namely, taking brief "drug holidays" every week or two. Meaning after taking tramdol consistantly for 9 or 10 days, do a major cut-back on the 11th day. Take half your normal dose for two days. This is really effective in lowering your tolerance again and rendering the drug re-effective. By having these "drug holidays" now and again, I have been able to sustain tramadol's effectiveness for the 5 months I've been taking it. I do think this is an integral part to successful treatment of depression with tramadol. Now, the couple days of lowering your dosage may suck, but you can rest assured that its only temperary depression/anxiety and that you'll be better in a day or so when you allow yourself to go back to your normal dosage. This does require a certain amount of self discipline and planning...In other words, don't plan your drug holiday during stressful times. Do it when you know you'll have either a few days off from school or work or some time to just be by yourself. The anxiety may return during this time, but thats ok, be accepting of it and meditate on it....its easier to be at peace with your anxiety and depression if you know it will soon be gone again. My biggest challenge on this is the self-discipline with the dose. I sometimes do take a couple pills more than I should. This is bad, because it expediates my tolerance building up. Additionally, I should be more appreciative of the tremendous new opportunity (new lease on life really) that this drug has afforded me, and not flirt with abuse which would mess the whole thing up! But, I do have an addictive personality, and so that is a challenge but so far I have done very well and kept everything in check and not let anything get out of control.

WITHDRAWL....it exists with tramadol. But then again it exists with all the SSRI's. If you take tramadol for a few weeks and decide to just go off it for a couple days, you will feel withdrawl symptoms. If I stopped cold turkey, I would shake, sweat, and have severe anxiety. And thats only taking 2 - 3 a day.

Hope some of this reflection on my own experience helps you out. Would very much like to hear more about your journey too.

Take Care,

hensley258 is offline New Member

Thanks for sharing your experience. I should mention that there is always Ultram 100MG in a sustained release formula that may be a better option than the non-sustained release Tramadol.

I very much want to try Ultram for my resistant depression and anxiety, but BIG PROBLEM: My Psychiatrist is Ignorant and would rather see me dead than offer Ultram as a viable treatment.

My family doctor feels the same way and will not help.

I can not order my Ultram thru an online pharmacy simply because I live in the state of TN. By law no perscription medications can be shipped in or out of this state. None of the online pharmacies will ship to me because of my location here. I have already tried.

So (at least for now) Ultram or Tramadol therapy is completly impossible for me.
    Sucks to know there is a drug that can keep me alive, yet I have not access to it.

Although my Psychiatrist is more than willing to prescribe me more of his Antidepressant poision or even risk mu life with am MAOI like Parnate. Eat the wrong food with Parnate and your dead meat.

He is also more than willing to subject me to several invasive courses of ECT. I guess it's ok to shock the ******************** out of the human brain, but not ethical to use a mild drug like Tramadol for Severe Depression.

I don't need the memory issues that come with ECT. Not to mention that I have first hand seen cases where ECT has severly effected peoples ability to function at work.

I have a wife and daughter that need my paycheck. My job relys on my memory and ECT is simply not an option for me.

Suppose I could try an MAOI, but again my daughter needs me alive, not in a coffin. MAOI's carry heavy risk and can be deadly for some people. Not exactly a solution IMO.

So I guess it's ok to risk death before potential addiction to Ultram or Tramadol. My Psychiatrist knows this will work for me because I do not have an addictive personallity and have proven I can control and monitor my drug intake. He is simply just worried that I will sue him if I get addicted. His own self interest at work.

Honestly he could care less if I killed myself tomorrow. As long as I never became addicted.

Marlin Fan is offline New Member

Default Tramadol

Quote Originally Posted by rxinfonbs View Post

I definately think it would be beneficial for us both to share our experiences with eachother in regards to the tramadol use. I've actually been looking for someone to collaborate with, another individual who has had a similar experience with depression and discovered this medication to be very helpful. There are a couple reasons for this. One is that it can be a bit worrisome going about this completely alone. Lets face it, there is little support for what we are doing (taking this drug for our mood) in the US. Doctors here frown upon using opiates for depression (for historical reasons that I mention in prior posts to the message board). So you and I, if we choose to pursue using this drug as an antidepressant, are basically going against the medical establishment in this country. Let us not be shamed into thinking we are bad people for doing this (lots of people will tell us that we're just addicts looking for an excuse to get high, they'll tell us that of course pain pills make us feel better, but that we can't use them for that). So...I guess what I'm trying to say is that its kind of nice to be in touch with someone else who shares my views/experiences with this drug (meaning you). In that sense we can be a support for eachother, because doctors sure as hell won't be.

Secondly, we there are some unknowns to this journey for both of us. I too have had little to no success with the traditional antidepressants. For years and years (I'd probably say for most of my life) I struggled with depression and anxiety. It affects all facets of life; hurts relationships, ambition, ability to enjoy anything...i mean, god, it's awful isnt it? Depression is so debilitating. I would see what it did to my life, and as I got older (Im 27 now), I was less and less willing to put up with it, meaning more and more willing to just end it all.

When I took a tramadol I was happy (I'm new to it too, having first taken in in July of this year). I liked being around people again. I appreciated things in people, wasn't irratable and liked life. It didn't take a bunch of them to get me there, just one. One 50 mg pill could make such a difference in my experience in life..So I thought to myself, well there are people who are prescribed 4-5 or more of these pills a day....and just ONE is so incredibly beneficial to me. I had no problem justifying to myself that I could take these to feel good about life. It didn't look like drug abuse. Maybe drug "misuse", seeing as though I was (still am) using them for something they are not prescribed for, but since my dosage was well in the normal realm, I didn't feel as though I was harming my body. I think that is the standard I measure this by....is it doing harm to my body or those around me? The answer is no, in fact all evidence points to the opposite. I am less stressed, less anxious, happier (all of which have positive physical manifestations as well as beneficial effects on relationships). Whats the negative? Well very little that I can see. I don't think it is bad for the liver in moderate doses (I know alcohol is a lot worse and I don't really drink). Tolerance and dependance is where is gets a bit fuzzy.

So I've been taking tramadol since July of this year (bout 5 months now , and surely the most stable 5 months of my life). I told myself when I got the bottle of pills that I would only take these when needed, in situations where I'm more anxious or in times when I was feeling particularly low. That didn't last. Mainly because I found that my day-to-day experience was so enhanced, so much better, with a small amount of this drug in my system, that I almost immediately was taking 1 or 2 pills per day. So I went on doing that for a week or so. Then decided to take another, upping to to 3 a day....still, i told myself, I am well in range of normal dosage for this drug. And I went on taking 2 - 3 a day for a couple weeks. Now, in those days sometimes I would take one or two more, not often, but there were days I took 4 or 5. Did I get really happy? Hell yeah, elated. But thats not why Im taking them, and I scolded myself for doing that, for abusing a drug that was so beneficial to me for depression. So i'd go back down to 2 or 3.....and then I noticed that, oops, I really do need 2 or 3 or I get kind of anxious and almost shakey....Yes, tolerance does build up with tramadol. If you take a given dosage for a couple weeks, you may either find that it will soon no longer have a strong effect anymore and you'll need to up the dosage to get the same effect. But, the good thing is that there are ways around this. Namely, taking brief "drug holidays" every week or two. Meaning after taking tramdol consistantly for 9 or 10 days, do a major cut-back on the 11th day. Take half your normal dose for two days. This is really effective in lowering your tolerance again and rendering the drug re-effective. By having these "drug holidays" now and again, I have been able to sustain tramadol's effectiveness for the 5 months I've been taking it. I do think this is an integral part to successful treatment of depression with tramadol. Now, the couple days of lowering your dosage may suck, but you can rest assured that its only temperary depression/anxiety and that you'll be better in a day or so when you allow yourself to go back to your normal dosage. This does require a certain amount of self discipline and planning...In other words, don't plan your drug holiday during stressful times. Do it when you know you'll have either a few days off from school or work or some time to just be by yourself. The anxiety may return during this time, but thats ok, be accepting of it and meditate on it....its easier to be at peace with your anxiety and depression if you know it will soon be gone again. My biggest challenge on this is the self-discipline with the dose. I sometimes do take a couple pills more than I should. This is bad, because it expediates my tolerance building up. Additionally, I should be more appreciative of the tremendous new opportunity (new lease on life really) that this drug has afforded me, and not flirt with abuse which would mess the whole thing up! But, I do have an addictive personality, and so that is a challenge but so far I have done very well and kept everything in check and not let anything get out of control.

WITHDRAWL....it exists with tramadol. But then again it exists with all the SSRI's. If you take tramadol for a few weeks and decide to just go off it for a couple days, you will feel withdrawl symptoms. If I stopped cold turkey, I would shake, sweat, and have severe anxiety. And thats only taking 2 - 3 a day.

Hope some of this reflection on my own experience helps you out. Would very much like to hear more about your journey too.

Take Care,

A couple a weeks ago I replied to your thread, mentioning I would keep you informed of my progress.
    As of today, 11-15, I am taking a "holiday" from the Tramadol.
    Here is the reason. After awhile, I was up to 400 mg. Eventually, it was losing the effect I experienced from the beginning.
    So, the next thing I will do is to go about a week or longer to find out if it will work again. I must tell you, that I was originally prescribe Tramadol as a pain killer, for my sports related injuries. Since I also suffer from serious Clinical Depression as well, It was after a few days that I noticed the relief it gave me as the Tramadol worked on the pain receptors of my brain, elevating my mood, and helped me with my work with my clients. It became a [B]"Two in One" medication. I will be back to post again this weekend.
    Take care.

Default How is it going?

I was thinking that perhaps you went too high a dosage before dropping back down.

It may be wise to keep 200Mgs a day as the maximim before tapering off the cycle for a couple days.

I have accuired 20 Ultram 100Mg sustained release tabs. I can not start them because I am still taking my SSRI and SNRI antidepressants (you know, the ones that aren't offering me full relief)

Anyway, I would first have to wash out on my AD meds before trying the Ultram. Doesn't look like I will be able to find a doctor willing to work with me on this one.

They all just think your trying to get high. "idiots." They think they understand my cronic suffering, but have no clue.

I probably will not start the Ultram until I know I can secure an ongoing source. Online has been a no go because I live in TN which does not allow any meds by mail. No one will ship to me here in this state.

I am continuing my search for a doctor in my area that understands the use of Tramadol for Resistant depression, but thus far I am turning up Zero.

None of the Psychiatrist will even aknowledge Tramdol as a viable option for severe depression. There just isn't enough medical data to make them confortable using this approach.

I will keep searching.

Default Tramadol "Holidays"

I have not taken Tramadol for the past 6 days.

It definately worked for me! It just kind of stopped all of a sudden probably because I was on 400mg. There were no withdrawl effects whatsoever.
    Probably the Welbutrin I am taking is keeping me level.
    BTW, the combination of Tramadol and Welbutrin worked even better.I plan on trying the Tramadol again soon, but only 100mg to 200mg, and see if I get the "terrific effect" I had mentioned in an earlier post back on November 9th (see "MarlinsFan 11-9-08 post), about how great the Tramadol was working at that time.
    Rxinfonbs & Hensley258 have been quite helpful.

Should anyone who visits this thread, who have any positive results using Tramadol for depression, I would certainly like to here about it.
    Or, I can be reached at RichAGolfer@aol.com if anyone needs to report anything interesting about their own results using Tramadol.
    Thanks for all your help

I must second what Marlin just mentioned. ANYONE that has experience utilizing Tramadol for Severe Refractory depression please post.

As I mentioned I am not yet utilizing Tramadol in my treatment, simply because I have not secured a medication source.

I must say that the subject is of huge interest to me simply because in the last two weeks I have had the oppertunity to speak with several people in my Depression support group that are also finding relief with Tramadol.

No question there is something to it's efficacy in treating even the most resistant depression. As with Marlin, many of them caution that it is not a simple one pill a day fix, but rather a viable option when other avenues have already been exhausted.

many of the other depression sufferers that I have talked to that are also utilizing Tramadol for this condition also state that they must cycle their medication intake wisely. lest they slowly build up a resistance to the theraputic effects of the Tramadol.

Fortunatly, all reports thus far indicate that effectiveness returnes rapidly after only a couple day break in dosage.

If i can secure a trusted source of Tramadol for my Refractory depression, then obviously I will also post my direct experience in relation to it's efficacy.

AGAIN I MUST CAUTION ANYONE THAT READS THIS THAT TRAMADOL FOR DEPRESSION IS LARGELY UNTESTED. IT IS PROBABLY NOT A VIABLE OPTION FOR ANY DEPRESSION SUFFERER THAT DOES NOT HAVE HIS OR HER BRAKING SYSTEM FULLY INTACT.

NOT A WISE OPTION FOR ANYONE THAT HAS PAST ADDICTION ISSUES OF ANY FORM.

For the few of us that simply do not fully respond to traditional antidepressant therapies, then I think Tramadol does have validity.
    As I said before, when you have tried everything and you still have one foot in a coffin then perhaps this option is a viable one to consider.

Just don't plan on any doctor to agree with you. They have their own self interst to look after and avoiding any legal intagelments is obviously one of them. Your actual welfare and state of mental health is probably much lower on their list of concerns. Self preservation is at the top I can assure you.

Regards.

hawk34240 is offline New Member

Default My 2 cents

I have been taking tramadol for depression non stop for about 4 years. It has truely changed my life. I am more positive, I have more ambition about life, I am taking better care of myself, I am more productive at work, I deal with everything in a much better way and attitude. My social anxiety has improved as well. I have tryed previously ALL of the depression meds. Prozac was the one I stayed on the most. But the side effects of those drugs were bad, i lost allot of energy when on prozac.
    There are NO side effects to tramadol. Well really only one for me, it does cause you to eat less. and if you take it to close to bed time it keeps me awake.
    This drug is an absolute God Sent!!!!!!!!!!
    Now yes as with ANY drug it can be abused. I take 150-200mg every day. If I have a really bad day I might go 250. And reguraly I go down to 100/day to stir up any dependance issues.
    There is defineatly something this drug does that hits the nail perfectly.
    Does not make you spacey, it will however do that if you take too much.
    The Dr's really need to research this as I truely believe this can save lives!!
    I am sure it is not for everybody, but thats like any drug.
    And yes there are withdraw issues if you stop using. But guess what, they are the same as if you stop using prozac, same thing..I felt them both..
    Are you addicted, well yes I guess...happy/normal life, who wouldn't be.
    Same addiction as people are with the other depression meds.
    Can this change your life if your responsible..Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!
    I do have overseas sources to this drug if ppl need it, send me a PM. I will not post it publicly.

Default helpful

Hensley258, MarlinFan and others active in this thread:

Want to express my appreciation too to all who are sharing their experiences using tramadol to treat depression.

Hensley258, you're only 17? Very well spoken (or written anyway) for your age! Sucks that you are unable to have the med shipped to you because of the state law. Hopefully you can work around that..perhaps having friend or family in another state order it for you? Also, the post right above this one i think he's making an offer to help attain it for those who can't.

I just today noticed this 2nd page of responses on this thread, had been checking daily but never noticed there was another page, ha, so glad to see the discussion is still lively on this topic. I'll post an update with my continued success on tramadol in a week or so.

Adrian70 is offline New Member

Default how can i contact you? i cant see a link for pm's would like to hear some advice

Quote Originally Posted by hawk34240 View Post
    I have been taking tramadol for depression non stop for about 4 years. It has truely changed my life. I am more positive, I have more ambition about life, I am taking better care of myself, I am more productive at work, I deal with everything in a much better way and attitude. My social anxiety has improved as well. I have tryed previously ALL of the depression meds. Prozac was the one I stayed on the most. But the side effects of those drugs were bad, i lost allot of energy when on prozac.
    There are NO side effects to tramadol. Well really only one for me, it does cause you to eat less. and if you take it to close to bed time it keeps me awake.
    This drug is an absolute God Sent!!!!!!!!!!
    Now yes as with ANY drug it can be abused. I take 150-200mg every day. If I have a really bad day I might go 250. And reguraly I go down to 100/day to stir up any dependance issues.
    There is defineatly something this drug does that hits the nail perfectly.
    Does not make you spacey, it will however do that if you take too much.
    The Dr's really need to research this as I truely believe this can save lives!!
    I am sure it is not for everybody, but thats like any drug.
    And yes there are withdraw issues if you stop using. But guess what, they are the same as if you stop using prozac, same thing..I felt them both..
    Are you addicted, well yes I guess...happy/normal life, who wouldn't be.
    Same addiction as people are with the other depression meds.
    Can this change your life if your responsible..Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!
    I do have overseas sources to this drug if ppl need it, send me a PM. I will not post it publicly.
    how com i contact you to get sme advice?

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Using Tramadol for depression is not a good idea. Firstly you grow tolerance to the drug and have to continually raise your dosage. Secondly it's addictive so now you have 2 problems instead of just one.
    This is an old debate on whether or not using opiates or opiate like drugs is useful for depression. The outcome is always the same, you can't stabilize on a dose and have to continuously raise your dose and you generally get addicted. So try something else before you have major addiction issues.....Good luck to you......Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mpvt View Post
    Using Tramadol for depression is not a good idea. Firstly you grow tolerance to the drug and have to continually raise your dosage. Secondly it's addictive so now you have 2 problems instead of just one.
    This is an old debate on whether or not using opiates or opiate like drugs is useful for depression. The outcome is always the same, you can't stabilize on a dose and have to continuously raise your dose and you generally get addicted. So try something else before you have major addiction issues.....Good luck to you......Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for your input and words of caution. Most people are conditioned to be skeptical of this. But I think if you've thoroughly read this thread you'd find some of your assertions to be false. The "addiction" mimics the "addiction" you'd get to any drug including an SSRI, which comes with its own set of withdrawls if you stop suddenly. Secondly, I address the tolerance issue in a previous post, it is not difficult to avoid tolerance. Thirdly, most who use tramadol for depression have of course tried alternatives first, but with no luck...many have tried several. If you're source of information is solely the American medical establishment you are simply not getting the whole story about the possibilities opiates have in treating depression. Please review this thread as well as read the following article for more, about a woman who successfully uses opiates for depression without the pitfalls you mention. Myself and scores more can relate to her on this.
    http://www.elle.com/featurefullstory...the-dolls.html

no_more_tram is offline Member

I took Tramadol for a back injury, was on it for a year and a half, and had to go through detox just to get off them. I did abuse them, and not to get that high but because it took more and more to get any pain relief and of course my body was building a tolerance to them. I would take anywhere between 6-8 at a time and then possibly another 6-8 later in the evening, It did help with my pain, and really helped lift my mood, but moreso at the beginning, so I can def see why someone would take Tramadol for depression, it does help so much with that, But unfortunately I can no longer take them, and since being off I have noticed a downslide in my depression, so they did help!! Guess I'm staying with the actual antidepressants, and someday your body MAY become tolerable to the Tramadol, and it's hell getting off of them. I had to seek medical Detox!!

optrix is offline New Member

Default Tramadol & Depression

I find it interesting to see everyone's response to Tramadol being that it helps counter depression; I found this post trying to see if it is actually making it worse for me.
    I've been on an average 600mg dosage for the last two and a half years (my doctor had prescribed an 800mg per day dose, but i found it too much for me with nausea). I've never really heard what people's long-term experiences are with it, or what studies have concluded about its long-term effects.
    I was led to understand Tramadol is non-narcotic, non-addictive pain reliever that acts in similar ways to the narcotic opiates. After two and a half years taking it, I would say this much about it; habit forming? Yes. Addictive? Not so much. I have never noticed the immense psychological craving to take it in the way that I have when on narcotic painkillers, but if I miss a day my body misses it.
    I thought it was a godsend at first, because I had idiot doctors trying to figure out what was wrong with me, one sending me here, one sending me there, and feeding me hydrocodone for eight months, and then was just cut-off straight; cold turkey. That was really, really, hard. Having finally found a good doctor, he prescribed me tramadol and I was very grateful because I felt good again, and it helped the pain.
    It still helps keep the pain level down, but I constantly feel low now. Like I can't even be me. I have no desire to do anything. I just don't feel like I should be this way and the way I feel actually worries me, and I've been wondering if it's a side-effect of the Tramadol or something else. If it helps anyone with depression, I'm really glad it does.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Optrix ... please be careful with the high doses of tramadol. You can check out the side effects on the search box at the top of this page. There is a very real risk for seizures from high amounts of tramadol. God bless.

Interesting thoughts. My own doctors prescription (for pain) called for 50mg, 8x per day. At first just one would make me feel great, and elated. Of course I felt that "feel good/full of love" sensation, and I can definitely relate to the happiness / enjoyment of life factor that that feeling brings. Sort of what I might call a honeymoon stage. I actually felt almost guilty at first for actually following such a liberal prescription. I didn't want to "take too many" and build a tolerance (or actually lose that feeling). I thought I was being good, and careful.
    I was actually scolded by my doctor for not taking as much as he told me to, and self-prescribing an "as-needed" approach. Why? Well, he was a pain management doctor (one of the pioneering doctors of pain management field) and explained that the way Tramadol is designed is for your blood system to have a significant, and steady level of it. It's effectiveness is not based upon the feeling you get from it. It's primary use is for pain; from that perspective, developing a tolerance to it and build-up in your system is actually desired. This might explain why doctors don't want to prescribe it for depression.
    I do remember at that dosage, my body's pain level dropped and stayed under control. After about three months or so, I hit a period where it suddenly went from making me feel awesome to immensely sick and nauseous. I would spend the days feeling like I was going to vomit, and to even look at one would make feel it. That lasted a few weeks. After that my body seemed to come to accept it where I will take 100mg at a time and not even feel it or know it.
    Now when i take it I feel normal (like before I ever took it) except that I'm not really in much pain. So, it really works for mild to moderate pain. On a steady dosage, however, my experience has been that it does not help fight the depression for the long-term.

Take Care,

Default my 2cents

Ok good. Well. I too find that I have to go a day or two of really lowering my dose..as a way to lower my built up tolerance and reactivate the effectiveness of the drug. Yes, please keep me updates, as Im interested in others experiences in taking this drug for its antidepressant properties.

i been using tramadol for a long time and i agree, this system has worked for me.stagger your doses, dont give your body the chance to adapt ..keep it guessing.i will use anything from 50mg to 300 mg. always tapering up and down.sure some days you may feel ever so slightly edgy when using very small amounts..but as long as you have a little in your system to take the edge off your depressive mood..avoid always chasing a high..thats the trap.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian70 View Post
    i been using tramadol for a long time and i agree, this system has worked for me.stagger your doses, dont give your body the chance to adapt ..keep it guessing.i will use anything from 50mg to 300 mg. always tapering up and down.sure some days you may feel ever so slightly edgy when using very small amounts..but as long as you have a little in your system to take the edge off your depressive mood..avoid always chasing a high..thats the trap.
    i can be reached at the_rainy_daze@hotmail.com

Thank you. Really. I've actually transferred to a new doctor (saw him yesterday) who has advised much the same. I was essentially being over-prescribed by my previous doctor, and given the combination of the high dosage of Tramadol and a script for Cymbalta (SSRI), apparently the risk of seizure, or worse, is much greater than I realized with the two combined. Kind of a scary thought. I did trust my previous doctor, however it doesn't seem to come as a surprise to me to learn his medical license was just revoked.
    Truthfully though, I just couldn't take as much as I was being told to. Any more than 300mg in a day and I would feel ill. It was a while ago now, but I remember after three months at 400mg I felt like I was going to vomit all day long, spinning, and sick in an evil way. At the time, I felt like I was dying, but figured I just had to get used to it. Ya, I could be very descriptive of what I went through, but take my word for it - it wasn't much fun.
    Sucks to be a guinea pig.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Optrix ... please be careful with the high doses of tramadol. You can check out the side effects on the search box at the top of this page. There is a very real risk for seizures from high amounts of tramadol. God bless.

sue13 is offline Member

You know, I am inclined to like anything that changes my mood, but Tramadol (for which I have a HUGE prescription, has been NOTHING but a bad experience).

In the for-what-it's-worth department...

Sue

twinegar is offline New Member

Talking Tramadol helps my depression.

I had been wondering if Tramadol was having an anti-depressive effect on anyone else. My doctor put me on it about 4 years ago for "Slipping Rib Syndrome" and I immediately noticed how it made me feel happier. I had lost interest in things and even the fun things in my life had become unexiting. He has been trying different things for my depression but none of them work as well as the Tramadol. Pretty strange. I hope there no long term effects.

Default not too sure anymore

My enthusiasm for this drug is beginning to wane... For one thing, I'm a thin person to begin with, and since being on Tramadol I'm losing weight, especially in my face and i think I looked better with a fuller face. So thats upsetting. Secondly, I have read and semi-experienced the horror of coming off of this drug permanently. Thirdly, and most importantly, I want to try this on my own, meaning life, I want to try life again on my own. Tramadol brought me great relief, but there's something missing...maybe spiritually....i'm not sure, medicating myself through it all. Take a pill, I'll feel better. Well ******** that, thats not life, it can't be. I've struggled, I have emotional pain that comes up at the worst possible times....I watch everyone else seemingly enjoy themselves and interact healthily in friendships and take trips and do alright. But I want to make breakthrough's on my own. I don't want a drug to >>>> me into feeling alright, I want to become alright. I know this is a major turnaround from my previous posts, but it is how I feel tonight. Maybe I'll change my mind again as I attempt to detox from this. I hope not. I can see myself taking it in anxious situations, but I think I want to stop taking this medication daily. I just hate being dependent on a pill, and i know i am. It brings me better quality of life, but at what cost? Physical ramifications - they must exist. How about the spiritual growth I am delaying by masking symptoms of my psyche. Meditation, exercise, i dont know, but not this.

Default Update on my Tramadol use

My enthusiasm for this drug is beginning to wane... For one thing, I'm a thin person to begin with, and since being on Tramadol I'm losing weight, especially in my face and i think I looked better with a fuller face. So thats upsetting. Secondly, I have read and semi-experienced the horror of coming off of this drug permanently. Thirdly, and most importantly, I want to try this on my own, meaning life, I want to try life again on my own. Tramadol brought me great relief, but there's something missing...maybe spiritually....i'm not sure, medicating myself through it all. Take a pill, I'll feel better. Well ******** that, thats not life, it can't be. I've struggled, I have emotional pain that comes up at the worst possible times....I watch everyone else seemingly enjoy themselves and interact healthily in friendships and take trips and do alright. But I want to make breakthrough's on my own. I don't want a drug to >>>> me into feeling alright, I want to become alright. I know this is a major turnaround from my previous posts, but it is how I feel tonight. Maybe I'll change my mind again as I attempt to detox from this. I hope not. I can see myself taking it in anxious situations, but I think I want to stop taking this medication daily. I just hate being dependent on a pill, and i know i am. It brings me better quality of life, but at what cost? Physical ramifications - they must exist. How about the spiritual growth I am delaying by masking symptoms of my psyche. Meditation, exercise, i dont know, but not this.
    Was glad to see your post... but I am sorry to here you have been having some struggle lately.

Back in late October, and early November, my first posts were very encouraging about how Tramadol was helping me. You helped me a lot too!

I am trying to taper off now, 50 to 100mg per day. (I had been taking 300mg to 400mg). I also mentioned that I take Welbutrin for my depression.

I have had opiate addictions in my past. (Hydrocodone). So, it seems that my brain craves "feel good" type opiates to block the pain I feel in daily life.

Tramdol, like Hydrocodone are opiates. I have had addiction problems with Opiates!... so why do I still crave them? I know why
    I know the answer for me and it is as clear as crystal....!!

I am very lonely. Extremely lonely. I am lonely for a family I once had. It is killing me. Literally killing me! I have now found myself with my Parents long gone, no aunts & uncles, no brothers or sisters, no neices or nephews,.. no wife or children!
    I have plenty of "friends", work associates, and things to do. None of that fills me up. A dog, volunteering? that does not fill the hole! Family is everything! Someone who loves you and needs you! It is simple. A man needs a reason to live. Thats why so many of us get married. and... if that does not work... we get married again. Emptyness and Loneliness, causes depression. Thanks for hearing me out. There is two things I need in order to live..after, food, air, and shelter. That is the social network of belonging. Some people dont need someone to love them... and like being alone...
    Most people need other people in life to feel life is worth living .

I hope you find what you need. You have certainly had a lot to say on this thread.
    Take care.
    RichAGolfer@aol.com

Hi Marlin Fan,

Thanks for the reply to my post. I was having one of those nights, questioning it all, in touch with the sadness of the situation i was in, of being dependant on a pill to be happy. I'm not sure how to qualify the feeling exactly, weather its "loss" or "defeat" or what, but there is a definite negative effect on one's sense of self, mine anyways, when using a pill as a crutch to be happy. Now, there is a competing frame of thought, that which suggests mental illness is no different than diabetes in that there is an ailment or imbalance that needs to be corrected, and the medicine does that. That's a hard argument for me to accept totally. Its different when its mental. There is a stigma, a self imposed one sometimes, but still a valid stigma that I feel. A sense that there's something I am doing wrong, a behavioral pattern or a way of thinking that gets me into these messes, and that a pill is the way to "feel ok" in the depths of it. Infact, most modern day "facts" of mental illness are cleverly constructed marketing ploys...for instance a bit of research on serotonin imbalance will yield the truth that never has a person's serotonin ever been measured or observed and no such test exists. And what if there IS a discursive thinking or behavorial pattern leading to my emotional unrest...isn't covering those symptoms up with a drug only delaying my eventual realizations (or even rock-bottoms) that could yield genuine change and thus increase my level of happiness? Then there is the moral grounding (or lack thereof) of psychiatry which now advertises its drugs directly too the consumer, through television, convincing us of our misery and compelling us to tell our doctors we need to try increasingly more powerful mind altering drugs (Abilify, a Bipolar medication, is the most recent I've seen). Thirdly, and this is on the macro level, but what sociological effects are sure to come about from the mass medication of society? Are we medicating ourselves into an unlivable way of living, on an aggregate scale? I think there are natural mechanisms of social order and balance in society that are surely paying the price when we resort to pill popping our way through the everyday. But yet these issues are not discussed, and we seem to be full steam ahead in terms of psychiatry finding more and more patients (lifelong customers) each and every day. Ahh, off on a bit of a tangent there but I think this conveys to you the concerns I have with taking psychiatric drugs.

I also wanted to respond to your message, and mention in the process some things that may help you. I empathize with your feelings of loneliness - if there are few intimate and loving relationships in your life right now. Remember though, the impermanence of life. The impermanence of feeling, and thought, and that life and feelings and thought are truly always in flux. This is a foundational principal of Buddhism that is so practical I think and has helped shorten my suffering on several occasions. (In fact, mindfulness and many foundations of Buddhism have helped me...most are practical, not relying on unbelievable or mystical leaps of faith like other aspects of some religions). Loneliness is a construct of our mind. It is our mind saying these people have eachother, I have nothing. It is us saying that nothing is left when family is gone, that an intimate bond like that of family cannot be matched or created again. But the truth is different. The truth is the world beyond the constructs of the mind. And maybe a feeling EXACTLY like that of family cannot be recreated in totality, but something equally intimate and loving can be for sure, albeit with a different texture or flavor. A "Mindful" approach to relieving loneliness would be to somehow recognize your interconnectedness with the world. It's there. Its not easy to feel always, all the time. But that doesn't mean you won't feel it again. But a sure fire way to be sure you delay feeling it again is to label yourself lonely, unloved, and to furthermore tell yourself that this feeling is there to stay. It's not, I promise you, you must recognize the impermanence of feeling. When we don't, we get stuck on feelings, we prolong the suffering. And when we begin to believe that we don't NEED certain individuals around (especially those we cannot bring back) to feel love and interconnectedness, the mind will begin to prime itself to feel the interconnectedness again. People want people, they want intimacy, I promise you your suffering is not permanent. There are lots of old ladies with families all gone in my grandma's assisted living facility. Some our sour pusses, most are quite happy. Does this provide a seed of hope for you? Im hoping it might, perhaps it can give you a slightly different perspective on things. Please continue to put your feelings into words for me on this board because I'd like to stay in touch.

cess is offline New Member

is a centrally acting opioid analgesic, used for treating moderate to severe pain. Tramadol is used to treat moderate and severe pain and most types of neularga, includingtrigeminal neularga. It has been suggested that tramadol could be effective for alleviating symptoms of depression and anxiety because of its action on the noradrenergic and serotonergic systems, the involvement of which appear to play a part in its ability to alleviate the perception of pain.
    Specifically, tramadol comes in many forms, including:

* capsules
    * tablets
    * extended-release tablets
    * extended-release capsules
    * chewable tablets
    Well, The most commonly reported adverse drug reactions are nausea, vomiting, sweating and conspitation. Drowsiness is reported, although it is less of an issue than for opioids. Patients prescribed tramadol for general pain relief along with other agents have reported uncontrollable withdrawal-like nervous tremors if weaning off the medication happens too quickly. Respiratory depression, a common side effect of most opioids, is not clinically significant in normal doses. So you should be aware of using this.

zillah is offline New Member

Hi there.
    Have inadvertantly discovered this thread when looking to see why my painkiller worked as an extrordinary AD, when my SSRIs and trazadone fail to offer anything like the relief I have from tramadol. It was like a huge nasty black secret being absolved when I read other peoples experiences. Like others, I felt guilty when continuing to take tramadol, even when my pain had gone. Even told my doctor I was still in pain to get another months worth. Now I face the difficult task of asking my psyciatrist if she is aware of the noradrenaline reuptake inhibiting effects of tramadol, and if she would help me by prescribing it. I am guessing not, but feel horribly anxios at the prospect of going back to days punctuated by only nervousness, social inhibition, and an impending sense of doom. Like some other people, I do not have the opportunity to self medicate, or I would!!, as I live in Scotland. Also said before, I'd rather die happy, than die miserable. So, if anyone truly able to post me help...ie tramadol...I would be eternally indebted to you. 50-100mg a day is all I seem to need. Not high, not addictive...just alittle bit of peace at last. Dx

snootybiffer is offline New Member

I have been taking Tramadol for a couple of years. I use it for depression. I have had several different types of meds in the past but Tramadol seems to be the one that works without any strange side effects. My doctor had prescribed it years ago and I never used it until the depression got worse. If I don't take it I will lay in bed, my eyes and the back of my head hurts and I get a feeling of complete uncontrolled gloom! I feel like each leg has a midget hanging on it and I am dragging them around all day long! I fatigue really easy and just want to stay in bed all day. I am usually a real hyper person to the point that people ask me if I am "on something". I take two 50 mg tablets and within a half hour later I am ready to go and function all day long. I quit taking them about a year and a half ago for about 11 months and then the depression returned so I am back on them again.

Eskimoto is offline New Member

Hey a friend has long since told me that a little tramadol could be a great help to me from time to time to lift me out of my occasional bouts of depression. The anti-depressants the doc gives me have too many side effects and when I suggest Tramadol he thinks I am angling for hard drugs.

Does anyone know any reliable sources of getting it shipped to the UK? The sites I have found dont look reliable. Someone mentioned in their post to PM them if they are looking for it, but I dont seem to be able to send a PM. Help appreciated.

PaulRhodes is offline New Member

Glad to see that more and more people are discovering tramadol's anti-depressant benefits. I'm certainly one of those who have found this medication to be a GOD-SEND and believe me i've tried many of the so-called anti-depressants, most of which are completely worthless in my opinion. They either don't work or they have cause intolerable side effects, and if they do work they take weeks to kick in. Tramadol on the other hand completely nullifies both chronic and breakthrough episodes of depression and effectively elevates one's mood all without causing any nasty side effects, for most people. Since it's a very weak opiate it doesn't cause any significant euphoria and only has mild sedative effects. However, as with all opiates, it can lead to some tolerance and if discontinued after long use can result in withdrawal symptoms. But if you're a long time depression sufferer, you'll likely need to be fighting this disease the rest of your life anyway and so you would necessarily need to take it indefinitely. That's just the price to be paid for balance. And fortunately, tolerance isn't too much of an issue with Tramadol, as most people plateau at 200-400mg/day.
    Aus likes this.

MaisieC is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRhodes View Post
    Glad to see that more and more people are discovering tramadol's anti-depressant benefits. I'm certainly one of those who have found this medication to be a GOD-SEND and believe me i've tried many of the so-called anti-depressants, most of which are completely worthless in my opinion. They either don't work or they have cause intolerable side effects, and if they do work they take weeks to kick in. Tramadol on the other hand completely nullifies both chronic and breakthrough episodes of depression and effectively elevates one's mood all without causing any nasty side effects, for most people. Since it's a very weak opiate it doesn't cause any significant euphoria and only has mild sedative effects. However, as with all opiates, it can lead to some tolerance and if discontinued after long use can result in withdrawal symptoms. But if you're a long time depression sufferer, you'll likely need to be fighting this disease the rest of your life anyway and so you would necessarily need to take it indefinitely. That's just the price to be paid for balance. And fortunately, tolerance isn't too much of an issue with Tramadol, as most people plateau at 200-400mg/day.
    Hi Paul,

I have to take issue with the very rosy picture you're painting of tramadol. If you're having success with "off-label" use of the drug for depression, I really am glad for you. My diagnosis is major depression, and I have been on the brink of suicide more than once, so I understand what the pain is like. I've been fortunate that SSRIs have helped me. Having depression that does not respond to treatment must be hellish; I haven't experienced that, and I don't comment on conditions I don't understand. I wouldn't tell you that you're wrong to take tramadol to help your depression.

However, a LOT of what you're saying about tramadol is factually untrue. If you're taking your own personal experience with the drug and stating it as fact, you're doing others a huge disservice. Tramadol has real risks. If people want to try it for depression, they're better off understanding what the risks are rather than pretending they don't exist.

Tramadol can cause some very nasty side-effects indeed, seizures being one of the nastiest. Headaches, nausea, copious sweating, high blood pressure, ringing in the ears. It's no sugar pill.

I don't know what your experience might be with using opiates, but I can tell you--as someone who's abused almost all of them--that tramadol causes absolutely awesome euphoria. It's as good a high as oxycontin. That's why so many people get addicted to it. Maybe it doesn't make you high; I reckon you're in the minority.

It can also knock you out. Maybe it doesn't sedate you. Not everybody is you.

It doesn't lead to "some tolerance." What does that mean, anyway, "some tolerance"? People taking tramadol develop tolerance. Period. That's why the posters above have developed the strategies they describe for coming off the pills for a few days and allowing the tolerance level to drop. What they're doing is detoxing--and going through withdrawal--to get to the point where a lower dose will work for them again. Otherwise you need more and more.

And yes, you will go through withdrawal if you quit. You don't have to have been using it for a long time to experience withdrawal symptoms. You simply have to be dependent on the drug. This can happen at different times for different people. And withdrawal from tramadol is no joke. There's a risk of seizures that you don't get with detoxing off other opiates. You can't come off tramadol the way you would off vicodin or percocet, for example; it's too dangerous.

Most people don't plateau at 200-400 mgs. The people who posted above describe getting relief from depression at 100 mgs. People go higher because it feels good...that is, they're getting high. Enjoying a high doesn't make you a bad person; it's the reason addiction occurs--we like to feel good, it's the way we are. But combine that impulse with the fact that the drug creates tolerance, and you end up with people at very high doses no longer getting the relief they first felt. Which is the basic reason that people are skeptical about using any opiate for depression.

As I said, if you're having success, I'm glad for you. I'm not going to tell you to stop. But you make tramadol sound like candy pills, and that's a terrifically irresponsible thing to do. People should understand the risks of what they're taking, all the more so if they're using a med off-label.

Eskimoto is offline New Member

Can anyone help me? I dont have a prescription but I want to buy some tramadol online. All I can find are dodgy sites which seem to popup everywhere. I have found http://www.keystonedrugs.com which seems reasonable, but the fact they have no contact page worries me... although I can understand that given the grey-area they are operating in that may be a risk for them. I cant find any bad reviews online about them... however I cant find any good either. Seems a little strange. Any thoughts?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast