Page 57 of 77 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,710 of 2305
Like Tree319Likes
The Thomas Recipe - For Opiate Withdrawal
    briards is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by addict doc View Post
    If you go to a doc for help, ask for Seroquel samples. It is a major tranquilizer/antipsychotic-- I use it for patients when high doses of benzos fail.
    i have been reading about the thomas method and have a few questions so far. will start with two of them.
    i have some 200mg seroquel xr tabs, would that work just as well? it has a faux expiration date of 2-16-10. i also have 200 mg of seroquel with a faux expiration date of 5-9-09.
    since i already take 12.5 mg of ambien cr and 150 mg of trazodone for sleep, is it possible that would be enough to get me and keep me asleep while on the thomas method? thank you.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by briards View Post
    i have been reading about the thomas method and have a few questions so far. will start with two of them.
    i have some 200mg seroquel xr tabs, would that work just as well? it has a faux expiration date of 2-16-10. i also have 200 mg of seroquel with a faux expiration date of 5-9-09.
    since i already take 12.5 mg of ambien cr and 150 mg of trazodone for sleep, is it possible that would be enough to get me and keep me asleep while on the thomas method? thank you.

There is NO WAY that you need 200mg of seroquel on top of ambien cr AND 150mg of trazodone! How long do you want to sleep? You really need to talk with your dr. Usually a 50mg dose of seroquel will put you to sleep by itself.

You shouldn't be mixing those kinds of doses of all those different meds together at once. And I'm serious, you're mixing drugs together that could have serious interactions. No one should do what you're talking about without medical supervision. You could go into respiratory depression, in other words stop breathing! God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 05-15-2012 at 07:26 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    There is NO WAY that you need 200mg of seroquel on top of ambien cr AND 150mg of trazodone! How long do you want to sleep? You really need to talk with your dr. Usually a 50mg dose of seroquel will put you to sleep by itself.

You shouldn't be mixing those kinds of doses of all those different meds together at once. And I'm serious, you're mixing drugs together that could have serious interactions. No one should do what you're talking about without medical supervision. You could go into respiratory depression, in other words stop breathing! God bless.
    thank you, you are absolutely correct. i wasn't clear. with so much talk of not sleeping or trouble sleeping with the thomas method, i wondered if i should use the seroquel (only), as suggested, or do you think the ambien cr and trazodone would be good enough? i had to start taking seroquel (started at 50,went up to 200) for sleep after 9/11. after finding out all the adverse side effects (and gaining 40 lbs) i went back to 300 trazodone for sleep and later added the ambien and reduced the trazodone to 150. ambien and xanax are the other drugs i am hoping, with help and info from this forum, to discontinue but it made sense to me to start with the vicodin. again, thank you for your response...i will work on being clear. back to learning more about the thomas method........

willnotbedefeated is offline New Member

new member here. I am 29. Was going through horrible back pains so I went through quite a few pain meds until my Dr put me on MS CONTIN 60 mg. That was fortunately touching the pain, but not doing great, so he raised my perscription to 100mg every 8 hours. after a full week of that, I had decided that I couldn't be part of life at that level. So this past sunday, I took my first pill and decided to quit, cold turkey. It is now Wednesday and I figure I'm on day 3 of wds. I hate this! I don't think I can make it! I am chilled to the bone, have sores in my mouth that make everything taste like a burning chemical, have spots all over my face, of course the runs, and could not sleep at all last night! I just heard about the Thomas Recipe today, so unfortunately I wasn't able to do it. I would love any advice you guys could give me to help me get through this horrifying pain!

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by willnotbedefeated View Post
    new member here. I am 29. Was going through horrible back pains so I went through quite a few pain meds until my Dr put me on MS CONTIN 60 mg. That was fortunately touching the pain, but not doing great, so he raised my perscription to 100mg every 8 hours. after a full week of that, I had decided that I couldn't be part of life at that level. So this past sunday, I took my first pill and decided to quit, cold turkey. It is now Wednesday and I figure I'm on day 3 of wds. I hate this! I don't think I can make it! I am chilled to the bone, have sores in my mouth that make everything taste like a burning chemical, have spots all over my face, of course the runs, and could not sleep at all last night! I just heard about the Thomas Recipe today, so unfortunately I wasn't able to do it. I would love any advice you guys could give me to help me get through this horrifying pain!

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

I've seen people detox and have a metallic taste in their mouth. I've gone through that myself years ago. But I don't see why you're experiencing sores in your mouth. Are you taking ANYTHING at all that could be causing that? It's just a strange symptom. It could be related to dehydration from the diarrhea as that could explain the spots on your face as well.

I would get some imodium AD immediately, also start drinking pedialyte as much as you can handle. It's loaded with electrolytes which your body is terribly depleted from with the diarrhea and the symptoms you're describing. If you were hooked to an IV right now they would be pumping you full of electrolytes. And pedialyte is not loaded with sugar like something such as gatorade so it won't cause you to be anxious. Can you get something for body aches like a muscle relaxer? If not then take Aleve, Advil, or whatever works for you. But it wouldn't hurt to take a soma or flexeril for a few days, that would help you the most.

I wouldn't quit now! You are closing in on the worst of this being over. Usually about day four is the worst and then it starts getting better a little bit each day. You're almost there! You should also eat some bananas for the potassium and really good quality protein shakes are excellent at this time. Lastly try to get a little exercise, even if it's just a walk around the block. It will help your body to start naturally producing endorphines that will help with your overall feeling of well being. And a HOT shower or bath about an hour before you go to bed will help you relax so you can sleep more easily. Hope all that helps. Don't quit! Keep posting and if I can help you more let me know.

Take this ten minutes at a time if you have to! Don't give in! You're almost there. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 05-16-2012 at 05:16 PM.
    WantToLetGo likes this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Fear! is offline New Member

[deleted - swearing]
    Last edited by ddcmod; 05-17-2012 at 12:26 AM.

thank you, you are absolutely correct. i wasn't clear. with so much talk of not sleeping or trouble sleeping with the thomas method, i wondered if i should use the seroquel (only), as suggested, or do you think the ambien cr and trazodone would be good enough? i had to start taking seroquel (started at 50,went up to 200) for sleep after 9/11. after finding out all the adverse side effects (and gaining 40 lbs) i went back to 300 trazodone for sleep and later added the ambien and reduced the trazodone to 150. ambien and xanax are the other drugs i am hoping, with help and info from this forum, to discontinue but it made sense to me to start with the vicodin. again, thank you for your response...i will work on being clear. back to learning more about the thomas method........
    ok, i believe this question will be clear. during detox from opiates , which of these drugs would be most effective for sleep?

1. just 200 mg seroquel
    2. just 200 mg seroquel xr
    3. just ambien cr 12.5 plus 150 trazodone (this is what i take nightly for sleep now)

thank you.

ok, i believe this question will be clear. during detox from opiates , which of these drugs would be most effective for sleep?

1. just 200 mg seroquel
    2. just 200 mg seroquel xr
    3. just ambien cr 12.5 plus 150 trazodone (this is what i take nightly for sleep now)

thank you.

The ambien and trazodone should be plenty. You don't need to mix that much seroquel with that much trazodone. You're mixing antidepressants with antipsychotic medication when you do that plus the ambien.

I would take the ambien cr and if absolutely necessary take 50-100mg of seroquel and blow off the rest. NO WAY that you should need more than that to sleep even during a detox. God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by Fear! View Post
    [deleted - swearing]
    I apologize!

willnotbedefeated is offline New Member

I've seen people detox and have a metallic taste in their mouth. I've gone through that myself years ago. But I don't see why you're experiencing sores in your mouth. Are you taking ANYTHING at all that could be causing that? It's just a strange symptom. It could be related to dehydration from the diarrhea as that could explain the spots on your face as well.

I would get some imodium AD immediately, also start drinking pedialyte as much as you can handle. It's loaded with electrolytes which your body is terribly depleted from with the diarrhea and the symptoms you're describing. If you were hooked to an IV right now they would be pumping you full of electrolytes. And pedialyte is not loaded with sugar like something such as gatorade so it won't cause you to be anxious. Can you get something for body aches like a muscle relaxer? If not then take Aleve, Advil, or whatever works for you. But it wouldn't hurt to take a soma or flexeril for a few days, that would help you the most.

I wouldn't quit now! You are closing in on the worst of this being over. Usually about day four is the worst and then it starts getting better a little bit each day. You're almost there! You should also eat some bananas for the potassium and really good quality protein shakes are excellent at this time. Lastly try to get a little exercise, even if it's just a walk around the block. It will help your body to start naturally producing endorphines that will help with your overall feeling of well being. And a HOT shower or bath about an hour before you go to bed will help you relax so you can sleep more easily. Hope all that helps. Don't quit! Keep posting and if I can help you more let me know.

Take this ten minutes at a time if you have to! Don't give in! You're almost there. God bless.
    Diamond Elite
    Thank you so much for the assistance! I have been indulging in the pedialyte for sure! I finally think the worst is over! Now for taking it one day at a time to be back to myself completely sounds amazing! That whole process is something I would never wish for anyone to have to go through! Wow.
    Thanks again for the advice!

Lori
    thalia45 likes this.

Default Freedom

I had 13.6 yrs of sobriety from cocain and alcohol. I started doing bodywork on old cars several yrs back and acquired corpril tunnel. I went to the dr. And he perscribed Vicodin .7.5 well for about 3 months I took as directed. One in morning and one at night. Then one day I looked over at the glove box in my truck and said to myself you need an extra one today! I justified it because the Dr perscibed them!!! Next thing I new I Increased up to 100 ml to 140 a day. I was acting normal but my emotions were numb. I was going through a lot of financial and marital issues. The more problems the more I took.it real sucked cus in the process me and my wife have filed for divorce. It finally came to a head last Monday in therapy. I Had Relapsed!! After 13.6 yrs of sobriety. Wow guilt and shame too no end. The peace and serinity Gone! It took me a bit to get out of the denial. Well I said that to say this I stopped doing the basics in my 12 step program. I called my old sponsor cuz I haven't used him in yrs. Told him what happened! Well I said that to say this I have tapered all this week and sat. Is the day. I have the recipe to help. I am wanting this so I am praying for the best. I've learned it's one day at a time I am going to do it. I pray I can stay away from this stuff for good! The marriage who knows ! I just know I'm alive and want to be for a lot longer. Thanks for reading . I need this forum today and for the next week! It helps to know there are good people full of fear of the unknown of the detox pain. If when this recipe gets me though it I will tell all. God bless and pray for me and all the addicts who are suffering this weekend!
    Last edited by ddcmod; 05-23-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Day three amazing how it works. Hopefully I don't have to use recipe again. I added GABA and Litium Aspartate. Just alittle extra. Very much needed recipe to help get over the hump!!!! Thank you

Day three amazing how it works. Hopefully I don't have to use recipe again. I added GABA and Litium Aspartate. Just alittle extra. Very much needed recipe to help get over the hump!!!! Thank you

Happy for you my friend! So glad you are managing this so well. Keep us posted on your progress and let us know if we can help you along. God bless.

Default Freedom

Happy for you my friend! So glad you are managing this so well. Keep us posted on your progress and let us know if we can help you along. God bless.
    Today is day 5 I have a lot of emotions going on but I am in better place with the withdrawal. I am starting to snap out of it . I recommend it for anyone who can't afford to co to a detox center or just wants out of the cycle . It works!!! Thank you

Today is day 5 I have a lot of emotions going on but I am in better place with the withdrawal. I am starting to snap out of it . I recommend it for anyone who can't afford to co to a detox center or just wants out of the cycle . It works!!! Thank you
    Just do it your worth it. Day 6 for me the sun is shining, I couldnt of done it without the recipe. I tried last
    Month on my own day for i gave in.As far as my emotions I cry once or twice a day. But I feel great! Thank you!
    Last edited by Fear!; 05-25-2012 at 12:11 AM.

Just do it your worth it. Day 6 for me the sun is shining, I couldnt of done it without the recipe. I tried last
    Month on my own day for i gave in.As far as my emotions I cry once or twice a day. But I feel great! Thank you!

You've turned the corner! It just keeps getting better each day from here! You never have to use again! God bless.

IraqVet is offline New Member

I guess I'm here because I've found reassurance from reading some of the posts. And I figured what the heck, share my story -- there might be another young Iraq/Afghanistan vet out there who needs to here it. Anyways, I've always been super active, sports, in great shape, etc. Joined the Marines, became an infantryman, did a couple tours in Iraq, came home, lived a good life and -- WHAM! -- back pain. Turned out I had several bulging discs, degenerative disc disease, and mild arthritis of the spine. Docs prescribed Tramadol and Vicodin. It worked. But of course, as most people who've got to be on pain meds on the regular, I eventually got overwhelmed by the drugs. I'm talking 20+ Tramadol and 10+ Vicodin in a day (I shudder when I think of that). Anyways, I'm down to 8 Tramadol a day now, my back is much better -- although I've come to accept the fact that I'll always be in some sort of pain 'til the day I die (which was one of the hardest things I've had to do in my life...it sucks, but I figured I've still got my legs, my arms, my face; can still smile -- and there's a ton of guys/gals who've come back who are horribly disfigured and here I am complaining about back pain...). So I'm at the point of cutting off the Tramadol completely, utilizing the Thomas Method to break clean of my 8-a-day habit, and just living life the best as possible, because it's not worth living if one has to be completely doped up, numb to the world, constantly suffering from withdrawals due to lack of meds, to find temporary solace. This is my first day on that journey...I'll be taking 4 pills today (which will undoubtedly bring on withdrawal), and plan on taking two tomorrow and two the next day -- all the while using the Thomas Method. So, in closing, I guess I wrote this for anyone, not just vets, because I can tell you this (as cliched as it sounds), I've always thought those who suffered from addiction were simply weak, just cowards, degenerates, and druggies. Not true. Not true at all. I've been truly humbled. Realized what a jackass I was in the past, and want to pass on blessings and courage. God bless.

You've turned the corner! It just keeps getting better each day from here! You never have to use again! God bless.
    Day 7 feelings are back been to some meetings.Time to get my life back on a 12 step program,thank you for the support!

Snapper123-321 is offline New Member

Someone taught me a good lesson recently and it basically said "do you want it or do you need it?"

I have recently gone through the Thomas Recipe and feel good after a week without narcotics.

What is the best way to fire the Doctor? Should I call them or quit showing up... Haven't seen this subject come up

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snapper123-321 View Post
    Someone taught me a good lesson recently and it basically said "do you want it or do you need it?"

I have recently gone through the Thomas Recipe and feel good after a week without narcotics.

What is the best way to fire the Doctor? Should I call them or quit showing up... Haven't seen this subject come up
    I'd call him -NOW - while your determination is strong, and tell him exactly what's going on. Tell him that under no circumstances do you want more pills. We have to obliterate any chance of getting more, as temptation will come along down the road. In short order, your disease is going to whisper in your ear, "It wasn't thaaaaat bad, you can have just a few...." So NOW is the time to act! Congrats and wishing you all the best...

God bless,
    Ruth
    Robert_325 likes this.

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.

I agree with Ruth! When I called the pain dr years ago and told them they were fired they couldn't believe it! They were prescribing 750 30mg Roxi IR monthly to me and couldn't believe that I didn't want my meds anymore. Clowns even called me on the phone twice to make sure I didn't want to reschedule! It's empowering to tell them to go kill someone else! GO FOR IT!!!! God bless.

depressedmess is offline New Member

Post Feeling Pathetic..

Well, long story short i've been doing >>>>>> for about a year now.. (where does the time go and where have i been?) went from having everything to having nothing. been slammin the dope everyday, 4-5 times a day, which for me is about a 40 dollar a day habit. sick and tired of being sick and tired right? wrong. i can't pull myself out of this mess. i detoxed cold turkey and tapered off about 2 weeks ago and was totally in the clear.. Then, i had to give into peer pressure. Now it's worse. Downward spiral begins. I have nothing. I lost my kid. Completely alone. Stuck on the couch grinding my teeth thru the day till i get my next bag tonight. I'm finding it really hard to find someone to talk to. My family has turned their backs on me. I feel like it wouldn't even matter if I fell off the face of the earth. Going thru detox for me includes the sweating profusely, the runs (already), and sleeplessness. Not even to mention the restless arms and legs.. And it's only been about 18 hours. I'm broke. Pretty much nothing to my name. When i think i've hit rock bottom, i dig myself deeper. I'm so lost i have no idea where to start, or let alone finding a support group. I'd really like to know what helps with the excruciating stomach cramps. Those keep me up all night too. I guess i'm just looking for home remedies for all of the above. So hard to focus on the positive when there's too much negative. I feel like there's something wrong with me. My first time really being addicted to anything. Thank you to all posts. Your storys do help make the day a little easier. Also, I'd like to know how I can get my doctor to prescribe me something for high anxiety when they don't really like to prescribe anything at all! Anything helps guys. Thanks for reading.

Quote Originally Posted by depressedmess View Post
    Well, long story short i've been doing >>>>>> for about a year now.. (where does the time go and where have i been?) went from having everything to having nothing. been slammin the dope everyday, 4-5 times a day, which for me is about a 40 dollar a day habit. sick and tired of being sick and tired right? wrong. i can't pull myself out of this mess. i detoxed cold turkey and tapered off about 2 weeks ago and was totally in the clear.. Then, i had to give into peer pressure. Now it's worse. Downward spiral begins. I have nothing. I lost my kid. Completely alone. Stuck on the couch grinding my teeth thru the day till i get my next bag tonight. I'm finding it really hard to find someone to talk to. My family has turned their backs on me. I feel like it wouldn't even matter if I fell off the face of the earth. Going thru detox for me includes the sweating profusely, the runs (already), and sleeplessness. Not even to mention the restless arms and legs.. And it's only been about 18 hours. I'm broke. Pretty much nothing to my name. When i think i've hit rock bottom, i dig myself deeper. I'm so lost i have no idea where to start, or let alone finding a support group. I'd really like to know what helps with the excruciating stomach cramps. Those keep me up all night too. I guess i'm just looking for home remedies for all of the above. So hard to focus on the positive when there's too much negative. I feel like there's something wrong with me. My first time really being addicted to anything. Thank you to all posts. Your storys do help make the day a little easier. Also, I'd like to know how I can get my doctor to prescribe me something for high anxiety when they don't really like to prescribe anything at all! Anything helps guys. Thanks for reading.

depressed ...... I've been on this forum a long time working with addicts. I would do anything I could do to help you get clean when you're ready, but no way I would advise you on the best way to get anxiety meds from the dr. You need to reduce and eliminate your drug intake, not increase it. Trust me, I'm not judging. I was an addict for 35 years, will be ten years clean next week if I make it that long! I bet that I will! But if you want to get clean talk to me. I will work with you to help you if you are serious and will do exactly what I ask you to do. And no, it won't be fun, but once you get out of the fog and become an actual "earth person" again it gets pretty cool! God bless.

Thank you Ruth, that is what I really wanted to do. Your words are very encouraging.

Thank you Robert, it really makes a person feel good about their decision when I hear proof that it can be done!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snapper123-321 View Post

Snapper ..... I don't know anyone that got clean because they needed to. I watched my mom cry for almost four decades on a nearly daily basis when I was around falling over myself drunk and on drugs in front of her continually. All of her dreams for me were going down the drain along with my life! I was a GREAT student, could have done anything, I NEEDED TO GET CLEAN!!! My entire life was wasting away, I NEEDED TO GET CLEAN OBVIOUSLY! I was wheeled into ERs numerous times from an ambulance having them pounding on my chest screaming at me to breath! I NEEDED TO GET CLEAN! It wasn't until the last dr who I believed as I was still able to see how bad off I was told me that I was going to die any day! I HAD TO GET CLEAN OR DIE!!! I didn't want to die, I acted tough but I was scared and I wanted to live! I knew that I was finally at the end and HAD TO GET CLEAN, I finally wanted to get clean! If all the people who needed to get clean were gathered together the group would consume some of our largest cities. NO ONE gets clean until they truly want to more than anything else in their life. At least that is the way it is if they are an addict like I was. I was addicted to "MORE!!!" And all the glory goes to God but I finally WANTED to get clean. Then and only then did HE give me the strength to deal with anything that came along. God bless.

Robert I called the doc today and actually spoke with his assistant. I told him that I was not going to be there for my next appointment. I related that I had been going through a detox program and felt I could get as much benefit from herbal inflammation stuff like tumeric. I asked if I would be welcome if this did not work and he said I had 2 years to come back as a regular patient. More later but thanks to you and everyone for the support I could not find anywhere elsewhere. Anyway I have to run as I have work to do.
    God bless yall!!
    Robert_325 likes this.

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by depressedmess View Post
    I just found this post, sorry I didn't see it sooner. How are you doing now, 'DepressedMess'? I hope you've been sticking it out and staying clean, but know that you are very welcome to return to post, regardless. Addicts do understand relapse.

The safest 'home remedies' I suggest are the Thomas Recipe, which is listed at the beginning of this thread. I do not suggest turning to anxiety meds (benzodiazepenes, like valium, klonopin, xanax, etc.) as they will keep you stuck on the path of addiction. The worst of the detox is 3-5 days, and although it feels pretty miserable, it is not going to kill you. There's no easy way out of it, but is completely do-able.

If you WANT this badly enough, you can do it. When we're determined to succeed, we find solutions. When we're on the fence, we find excuses to use again. I can assure you that your life will not improve until you are completely abstinate from any and all addictive drugs.

Here's the links to finding a 12-step meeting near you:

NA: http://www.na.org/
    AA: http://www.aa.org/
    CR: http://www.celebraterecovery.com/

If you truly WANT recovery, you'll get yourself to meetings - at least once a day, early on. We have to fuel our recovery on a daily basis, just as we used to fuel our addiction. I'm a year behind Robert, am coming up on 9 years clean later this summer. I can assure you that Robert and I were just as messed up and lost as you feel you are. This disease destroyed lives. Recovery is possible, and is worth every ounce of effort to attain.

Prayers are with you. Hope you'll return to post.

God bless,
    Ruth

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.

Kpkid425 is offline New Member

Default Ok. I NEED HELP!!

Ok so in 2009 I had a hernia repair and got put on percaset and hydros. Well since then I have taken everything else to stay high. First 1.5 years was just hydros daily. Last year has been methadones and op80s. Last 2 months it has been 2 80s a day. I am done. I hate this life and want to be back to a sober lifestyle. I took 15 mg of methadone yesturday and 20 today. I have the next week off work ( took it off to withdrawal ) I have about 15 klonipin and 10 seraquel 400. I plan on getting the rest of Thomas recipe tomorrow. And advise will be greatly appreciated. I really could use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kpkid425 View Post
    Ok so in 2009 I had a hernia repair and got put on percaset and hydros. Well since then I have taken everything else to stay high. First 1.5 years was just hydros daily. Last year has been methadones and op80s. Last 2 months it has been 2 80s a day. I am done. I hate this life and want to be back to a sober lifestyle. I took 15 mg of methadone yesturday and 20 today. I have the next week off work ( took it off to withdrawal ) I have about 15 klonipin and 10 seraquel 400. I plan on getting the rest of Thomas recipe tomorrow. And advise will be greatly appreciated. I really could use it.

If you stick with the Thomas Recipe in a week you'll be on your way to being a new person. NO METHADONE, and those 400mg seroquel should be cut into quarters for sleep. NO ONE needs 400mg of seroquel for sleep. That is getting to be a dose that is an antipsychotic med. Stick with this and a week will make all the difference for you. Keep us posted on your progress. God bless.
    WantToLetGo likes this.

Page 57 of 77 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast