Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Taking suboxone and hydrocodone together
    lcberry is offline New Member

Default Taking suboxone and hydrocodone together

I've posted my questions on this site already but believe I may not have posted them in the forum that would give me the quickest response to my questions. The following is one of my posts. The others can be seen under Featured Conditions/Suboxone, page 9.

Hello to all!
    After my last post I just realized that the answers I'm looking for can be summed up to this: Can suboxone and Hydrocodone be taken together? Is so, can someone who is familar with taking the two drugs together give me some guidelines. If they should not be taken together, what is a good approach to take in order to switch from suboxone to hydrocodone? I have been under pain management for several years but decided back in September to try and function without the pain meds. This is why I was put on suboxone. I just can't do it anymore. The suboxone is barely touching the pain despite the 32mg/day. I am considering going back to the pain clinic. I have some norco in my medicine cabinet but am hesitant on taking it because I don't know how it will work with the suboxone. I know that I cannot just abruptly stop the suboxone so I need to know what my options are. I would call my doctor but he is out of the country until Jan.22.

Much needed assistance so any suggestions/feedback/knowledge would be so greatly appreciated.

Lauren

tamara02 is offline Banned

Hey,lauren,Ive read a similar post,and I think it said to get off the sub for a few days til you start feeling bad you know going in w/d's then take the hydro,but not alot or like you used to,just try a small amt if its not working try alil more.Take care and be careful Tamm

tinkers is offline Member

icberry

I currently take sub and I know that hydro will not work at first and it will doo no good to take them at the same time you can take the hydro and stop the sub but it will take a few days before you will feel any afects of the hydro chances are you will not like the hydro anymore and it might make you feel like ****

quote:Originally posted by tinkers

icberry

I currently take sub and I know that hydro will not work at first and it will doo no good to take them at the same time you can take the hydro and stop the sub but it will take a few days before you will feel any afects of the hydro chances are you will not like the hydro anymore and it might make you feel like ****
    Hi Tinkers,

Thanks for the feedback and your input. Can you give me more details on how the hydro might make me feel bad. Also, have you attempted this....switching from suboxone to hydro? If so, can you share with me your experience with this attempt and how you went about it (i.e. day one of the transition). I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate your response and opinions/suggestions. I hope to hear back from you regarding these questions. You've been a tremendous help so far.

Lauren
    lcberry

Lauren

I can tell you that I have done some experimenting with swithing back and forth and its not good I just resently was put back on hydro for some back pain and it did help with the pain but it made me feel out of it and very slugish in the past I would get very active and hyper on the hydro like I could do any thing and now I just plain feel like **** so as soon as the pain was better I dumped the hydro and went back to the sub and let me tell you I feel much better off of them so unless you need them I would recomend that you stay with the sub because I personaly feel way better on the sub then the vikes.

ROB

sydbean is offline Member

Lauren,

I would suggest you call your doctors office anyway. There is no way a doctor can go away and not leave someone on call for things just like what is going on with you...There may even be a nurse at the office that has enough knowledge of the meds to give you a good answer. I suggest this only because if you started to have a problem with the switch I would hate for you to have no place to go and get help. At least if you put in a call and then experiment if it goes terribly wrong you have a foot in the door with the doctor.

Make sense? It has been my understanding that if you take the suboxone first and NEVER AFTER the norco you won't have a problem. From what I understand it is when you take the sub AFTER the norco that it will throw you into acute withdrawal of the worst kind!!!

Be careful!!! It's not worth a bit of pain relief to go through what I have read happens to people that mix up the combo of these drugs incorrectly.

Good Luck!!

~Suzie

quote:Originally posted by tinkers

Lauren

I can tell you that I have done some experimenting with swithing back and forth and its not good I just resently was put back on hydro for some back pain and it did help with the pain but it made me feel out of it and very slugish in the past I would get very active and hyper on the hydro like I could do any thing and now I just plain feel like **** so as soon as the pain was better I dumped the hydro and went back to the sub and let me tell you I feel much better off of them so unless you need them I would recomend that you stay with the sub because I personaly feel way better on the sub then the vikes.

ROB
    Thanks Rob! Just one more question. Did you just stop the suboxone one day, without weaning off of it, and start on the hydro the next day? What was the dosage of hydro they gave you for your back pain and how often were you taking it? I'm determined to finalize this one way or another so if you can share this last bit of info with me, I think I can put some closure on all of this and make a final decision.

Thanks to you I'm seriously considering just staying on the suboxone. I like the suboxone as well however, it does not cover all my pain so this is why we are considering the hydro. I'd rather deal with the extra pain, which is unbearable at times, then feel bad and sluggish on the hydro. I need to be functioning in order to run my business and I think that I can function better with the pain then with the side effects of thy hydro.

Thanks Rob! By the way, I hope your back is better.

Truly,
    Lauren

quote:Originally posted by sydbean

Lauren,

I would suggest you call your doctors office anyway. There is no way a doctor can go away and not leave someone on call for things just like what is going on with you...There may even be a nurse at the office that has enough knowledge of the meds to give you a good answer. I suggest this only because if you started to have a problem with the switch I would hate for you to have no place to go and get help. At least if you put in a call and then experiment if it goes terribly wrong you have a foot in the door with the doctor.

Make sense? It has been my understanding that if you take the suboxone first and NEVER AFTER the norco you won't have a problem. From what I understand it is when you take the sub AFTER the norco that it will throw you into acute withdrawal of the worst kind!!!

Be careful!!! It's not worth a bit of pain relief to go through what I have read happens to people that mix up the combo of these drugs incorrectly.

Good Luck!!

~Suzie
    Thanks Suzie!!! Great advice! Thanks for the bit on the suboxone and norco. I wasn't aware of the fact that taking one before the other could cause serious withdraws. I truly appreciate you sharing this with me.

Rest assure Suzie, I have no intention of doing anything until I talk with my doctor. I have found it necessary and educational to seek out some answers to my questions and concerns. The more informed I become, the better the opportunity for me to have input in the decisions made regarding my pain management/issues.

Thank you for the advice and concerns Suzie. I'm grateful!

Lauren

sydbean is offline Member

No problem Lauren!! I hope you can figure out how to get the combo right so you can have some pain relief. Nothing is worse than feeling as though there is no end in sight when your in pain.

Good luck!!!

Hugs,
    suzie

icberry,

As for the sub my doc told me just to stop and go back on the hydro and that is what I did there was no problem with w/d I think that I was off the hydro for so long my body dident like it any more I felt good for one day and that was it I have pain here and there and otc usaly works for me but ths last time I just woudent cut it so I went to the hydro for a few weeks and now I'm done.

spicemeister is offline New Member

Default 32MG Suboxone a day

First, I'd like to know how you manage to pay that much each month? I'm in Texas. It might be lower where you are. Here, I'd be in the GAP constantly (as I am now) and paying close to $500 a month for the SUB alone. Because of the outrageous price I pay for SUB 9 months out of the year, and the terrible pain I'm in (Post Polio Syndrome) I'm considering going back to Norco just as a financial matter. I'm a 63 year old male.

I'd hate to think of the money I will have wasted if I go back to Hydro ($49 Mo. for 210 tabs) instead of sticking with SUB at $490 mo. (20MG daily) I'd much prefer to stay on SUB that go back to Hydro..however, the cost isn't bearable. BTW, if you are going from Sub back to Hydro, it's nothing to worry about. If you take your final Sub at noon on Tuesday, you can start on Hydro at 5AM Wednesday. Use the dosage you were on prior to starting SUb. I am not a doctor and non of my advice should be taken as anything more than 1st hand experience. Going from Hydro to Sub can be brutal if you're not in at least early severe withdrawal. 24 hours was my mark.

Good Luck To Us All!

LondonToLA is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by tinkers View Post
    icberry,

As for the sub my doc told me just to stop and go back on the hydro and that is what I did there was no problem with w/d I think that I was off the hydro for so long my body dident like it any more I felt good for one day and that was it I have pain here and there and otc usaly works for me but ths last time I just woudent cut it so I went to the hydro for a few weeks and now I'm done.
    Woah, excellent for you! What MG of Sub were you on when you switched back to Hydro? How many MG of Hydro were you on a day until you were finally off of everything?

I didn't realize that one could stop Suboxone, reintroduce Hydro, then completely stop Hydro and be fine.

I'm on .25mg Subox per day, skipping one day today.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by LondonToLA View Post
    Woah, excellent for you! What MG of Sub were you on when you switched back to Hydro? How many MG of Hydro were you on a day until you were finally off of everything?

I didn't realize that one could stop Suboxone, reintroduce Hydro, then completely stop Hydro and be fine.

I'm on .25mg Subox per day, skipping one day today.

The guy you posted to was on 32mg of suboxone a day. Are you considering using hydrocodone now at this point?
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    The guy you posted to was on 32mg of suboxone a day. Are you considering using hydrocodone now at this point?
    Hi Robert.

I am an absolute IDIOT.

I took .25mg yesterday about 24 hours ago. Haven't taken Suboxone since then. I took a 5mg Vicodin this morning.

I've screwed myself over. I don't expect nor deserve help from anyone especially Robert anymore. I know I lost that priveledge.

I did this to myself from ONE slip up. ONE! After months of tapering down to .25mg Suboxone a day.

I think I've gotten to a low enough Suboxone dose where WD might not be too bad. I definately am NOT going to take another Vicodin. I promise. It's true that Vicodin doesn't do ANYTHING even on .25mg Suboxone. I guess I had to be an absolute idiot and prove this to myself.

I'm very embarrassed and don't know what else to do except to NOT take anything from today on.

I do have a call into my Suboxone doctor and am waiting for a callback.

I understand if you are disappointed in me; I am in myself.

If need be I can go cold turkey; what other option have I really left myself, right?
    Last edited by LondonToLA; 12-28-2009 at 01:35 PM.

Default Question, Again Regarding Suboxone

I'm wondering how (at 30MG a day) you can afford that? My prescription is for 20MG a day and runs me $439 a month. That's too much for me to handle. So, it has come down to going back to hydro unless I can get some financial help which my doctor is helping with.

Does anyone else end up spending more than they can afford on Suboxone? Forcing them to go back to Hydro? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LondonToLA View Post
    Hi Robert.

I am an absolute IDIOT.

I took .25mg yesterday about 24 hours ago. Haven't taken Suboxone since then. I took a 5mg Vicodin this morning.

I've screwed myself over. I don't expect nor deserve help from anyone especially Robert anymore. I know I lost that priveledge.

I did this to myself from ONE slip up. ONE! After months of tapering down to .25mg Suboxone a day.

I think I've gotten to a low enough Suboxone dose where WD might not be too bad. I definately am NOT going to take another Vicodin. I promise. It's true that Vicodin doesn't do ANYTHING even on .25mg Suboxone. I guess I had to be an absolute idiot and prove this to myself.

I'm very embarrassed and don't know what else to do except to NOT take anything from today on.

I do have a call into my Suboxone doctor and am waiting for a callback.

I understand if you are disappointed in me; I am in myself.

If need be I can go cold turkey; what other option have I really left myself, right?

Michael,
    I won't argue that it's a little idiotic to take hydros when you're down to .25mg of subs but it won't ruin anything. Just don't take anymore hydros. The question is whether you really want to be clean or not. There was really no sense in doing that.

What is your sub dr going to tell you when he calls back? He's going to tell you to increase your sub dose, that's all? So that will accomplish nothing.

It's up to you. Either you use or you don't. It's your call. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Michael,
    I won't argue that it's a little idiotic to take hydros when you're down to .25mg of subs but it won't ruin anything. Just don't take anymore hydros. The question is whether you really want to be clean or not. There was really no sense in doing that.

What is your sub dr going to tell you when he calls back? He's going to tell you to increase your sub dose, that's all? So that will accomplish nothing.

It's up to you. Either you use or you don't. It's your call. God bless.
    First, thank you SO MUCH for responding & helping me. I don't deserve it; I know.

I am totally utterly committed staying clean. I choose not to use. I am NOT letting this slip up get the best of me.

I am going to continue the .25mg dose, but I'm considering going back up to .5mg per day; then starting SLOWLY back down.

I am VERY worried that if I take a .25mg suboxone dose this evening that it will spiral me into precipitated WD. I took the Vicodin at 7am Pacific Time. This is my "immediate" concern. The "major" concern which I have complete control over is staying clean.

I am not NOT NOT repeating this idiotic mistake again and I thank you so much for your help.

I sincerely hope my experience will help others not to repeat my mistake.

Michael
    Last edited by LondonToLA; 12-28-2009 at 06:05 PM.

You won't go into precipitated w/d from the .25mg of suboxone following 5mg of hydro if you did it just the one time.

You won't go into precipitated w/d from the .25mg of suboxone following 5mg of hydro if you did it just the one time.
    I took a single hydro as I admitted.

I also want you to know that I took .25mg Suboxone at 5:45pm Pacific Time and it's now 7pm and I have zero precipitated withdrawl symptoms thus far.

THANK YOU ROBERT!!

I feel SO blessed right now.

WendyLew72 is offline New Member

Exclamation Hey Lauren...Hope this helps some!

QUOTE=lcberry;72357]I've posted my questions on this site already but believe I may not have posted them in the forum that would give me the quickest response to my questions. The following is one of my posts. The others can be seen under Featured Conditions/Suboxone, page 9.

Hello to all!
    After my last post I just realized that the answers I'm looking for can be summed up to this: Can suboxone and Hydrocodone be taken together? Is so, can someone who is familar with taking the two drugs together give me some guidelines. If they should not be taken together, what is a good approach to take in order to switch from suboxone to hydrocodone? I have been under pain management for several years but decided back in September to try and function without the pain meds. This is why I was put on suboxone. I just can't do it anymore. The suboxone is barely touching the pain despite the 32mg/day. I am considering going back to the pain clinic. I have some norco in my medicine cabinet but am hesitant on taking it because I don't know how it will work with the suboxone. I know that I cannot just abruptly stop the suboxone so I need to know what my options are. I would call my doctor but he is out of the country until Jan.22.

Much needed assistance so any suggestions/feedback/knowledge would be so greatly appreciated.

Lauren[/QUOTE]

Hi ... after reading your dilemma with taking Suboxone and Hydrocodone together, I thought i would offer up some advice. Don't worry IT WON'T KILL YOU BUT, ITS A WASTE! I have plenty experience with this drug working in the mental health care field as a emergency nurse. Suboxone blocks all effects of any hydrocodone. It is an anti-tagonist drug. Depending on the the amount your taking and how long you have been taking it determines how long it will take to get of your system. Typically 72 hours is sufficient...But if you have been taking it for months on 32 mg/day. You probably will need 5-7 days to clean your system out. Taper off the suboxone though. Severe withdrawals will occur if you have been on a high dose for a long time. AND THEY ARE NOT FUN. One suggestion would to see if your doctors could start you on a different class of pain medication that would not be effected by suboxone to control your pain. WISH YOU BEST..GOOD LUCK!.

Default Wendy

If you are taking Suboxone and Hydrocodone together, that's your business. Here's something to watch out for. It is Carved In Rock. Going from Sub to Hydro is easy. Going from Hydro to Sub requires that very unpleasant withdrawal process before the Sub can work it's magic. Good Luck. I'm about two months away from the GAP and will have to cut down on the amount of Sub I take. My monthly expenditure goes from $72 to $480. Big difference.

To answer your question, I suppose you could. Switching from Sub to Hydro is as easy as falling off a rock. Going from Hydro to Sub is difficult. If your pain is that bad and you plan to go back to Narcotics from Sub, no worries. You won't get the "buzz" but you will get rid of your pain. And your cost will be much less. Good Luck!

butterfly11 is offline New Member

Question

**PLEASE READ ASAP-NEED advice***
    Okay, I've been on here a few times and haven't ever had the courage to post, however due to the circumstances I'm going through I need some advice. I was in a bad accident in 2000, and was put on hydrocodone 7.5/500mg, 2-3 times daily, and then 4 times daily-which I have been on the 4 times daily for 8+ yrs and the other yrs, just 2-3 times daily. After being on this pain medication for that long, I soon wasn't getting enough relief from my pain(which is herniated discs in my neck, and nerve damage that is mostly on the left side of my body, which extends though my left arm/hand,down through left buttox/hip/pelvic and tail bone, down to left foot(at times can't walk because of the numbness and "pins/needles", as well as severe middle and lower back pain, and the lower back pain is again toward the left side above buttox,and pain goes down through foot and pelvic/hip/talibone area to my foot. In Nov. 2010(end of Nov.) I had become so immune to this pain medication I couldn't get relief, and went to a detox center for 5 days to try to "reset"my system, to be able to take the prescribed pain med 4 times daily(IF/AS needed). After leaving the detox center(where I was put on Suboxone there), I thought I would and could do suboxone "maintenance" to get my system reset better, and the Dr told me it would probably take until end of Feb. 2011/beginning of March 2011, for the pain meds to completely be out of my system. Which I found out the HARD way, the Dr was correct, until that time, I could take the suboxone with motrin(and or tylenol-switching the 2) and would feel ok-pain I didn't notice...like I said until late Feb/early March 2011. I have such severe pain(described above) some days I CANNOT get out of bed and have been sleeping 18+hrs daily-OR it will keep me awake 2-3 days straight-with absolutely 0 sleep. I have to pay 200$ per month for the Dr visit and the Suboxone is almost $1,000.00$/mo-bc lost insurance end of march. Now I don't know what to do because I know I cannot for one afford this suboxone and for 2 it Does NOT help with the other OTC(and muscle relaxers) for pain, AT ALL anymore. I'm completely confused and scared to go to the Dr who is doing the suboxone maintenance and ask him about going back on the pain medication, and just take it WHEN I NEED it, without him automatically thinking I'm going to abuse it. I also have epilepsy, and had 4 seizures in 1 week due to the pain and the stress of this matter. I REALLY NEED some advice on what to do, and how to approach this situation with the Dr w/out him automatically dismissing the pain, because I simply have NEVER had this type of pain, since right after my accident. I live in a VERY small town, and Dr's are extremely hard to find(good ones with a good bedside manner and who listens to each patients problems without automatically being put in the same category as other patients just looking to find a dr JUST to get meds like those, who don't "REALLY" need them. I go to psychologist/counselors, etc. And they have agreed, I should probably have been put back on the pain med or something for pain, a while back. (Also, sometimes I have an allergic reaction to suboxone-hives/blister type things and stuff, and this is NOT all the time, just SOMEtimes when I take the medication-and This HAS been brought to the Dr's attention more than a few times). The pharmacist said I could be allergic to one of the drugs that make up suboxone, and yes it can come and go(allergic reaction), but told me the Dr should be well aware, because its not safe. * I Know this is Such a LONG post, but I'm SCARED, IN PAIN, and don't know what to do. *** ALL advise anyone can give me, PLEASE because I don't even know how to ask my Dr about going from the suboxone back to the hydrocodone 7.5/500mg?!
    Thanks for your time and PLEASE give me advice asap because I have an appt next week, not to mention I'm TRUELY in REAL PAIN(and lost my insurance)

Default Butterfly

If you have access to valium or xanax, take some to help..and it will, just don't over do it. When, and if, you ask to go back to hydro, make it 10/325. The number after 10 (Hydro) /325 is acetamenaphine (sp) which is very bad on the liver. You don't want Anything with acetamenaphine in it and if you do, make it a high dose of hydro for pain (10mg) and low dose of acetemenaphine (325) which will help.

butterfly11 is offline New Member

Question

Thanks spicemeister...
    I do take xanax 1mg 2-3 times daily(and have for about 8+yrs) which gives some relief, but NO pain relief. I'm scared to even ask the dr about going back on hydrocodone, and I'm praying my mother can take me to my next visit(someone has to take me due to my epilepsy), if so it will make it much easier to talk with the dr about going back to pain meds for ACTUAL pain, and then my mother will ask about the different strengths. I'm hoping things go WELL and she takes me so I can get some relief and so he(dr) actually knows I DO suffer from REAL pain(which my mother has been a witness to since 2000). I'm not sure even how to bring the question up about going back on hydrocodone instead on suboxone, so do you suggest we just explain what's going on and ask the nurse(whom does all intake before see dr)up front? Thanks for the advice, ANY and ALL will be helpful to me.
    Butterfly11

cmontgo71 is offline New Member

Default sub and hydro's

if i only took a half a suboxine, will i be able to take Loratabs today for my pain?

Default 1/2 a Sub

You will be wasting the Sub if you are taking Hydro with it..be it 1/2 (4mg) or 2 (16mg). The point of Suboxone is to get off HYdro. At the cost of SUB (for most) I wouldn't want to waste any.

If you haven't tappered off Hydro yet, there's no point in taking Suboxone and spending the money that goes with it.

Take the Hydro, when the day comes you want off narcotics, stay off hydro 48 to 72 hours and take 1 Sub tab or strip (8mg). You can't have your cake and eat it, too. Believe me, I've tried!!

Pain is terrible,cmontgo. But decisions have to be made. You manage your narcotics and stay on them "as directed"...or, if you want off, and for the SUB to be effective, you'll have to go through 2 or 3 days of withdrawal to get the hydro out of your system and the Sub to do it's job. Stay in touch, friend, and let me know how you are doing! We've all been where you are. Johnny/Texas

dspoon7 is offline New Member

Default mixing suboxone and hydrocodone

Just wanted to know how dangerous this can be? I know someone who is taking both at the same time and is struggling with prescript addictions. I think he might still be using >>>>>> as well. What can I expect in effects from mixing all these?

Quote Originally Posted by dspoon7 View Post
    Just wanted to know how dangerous this can be? I know someone who is taking both at the same time and is struggling with prescript addictions. I think he might still be using >>>>>> as well. What can I expect in effects from mixing all these?
    Nothing good. Possibly very bad. If he's on heron..that's something I know nothing about except...I've heard, do not Know..that getting off hydro is more difficult. It was hell for me, but if he can stay off hydro, heron and Sub for two (2) days to the point he is in mild severe withdrawal (maybe valium or Xanax to help) then he should take 12mg of Suboxone (I'm no doctor and never played one on TV) and mellow right out. He won't be high, but he won't be suffering..he'll feel normal. Then, get on a Suboxone regemine with a shrink (my current state). Good luck. Believe me I've been there and it's a long two days but worth it. If he has a doctor he should tell him or her his plans.

mcg82 is offline New Member

I have done it once before with a lortab and had to do it tonight. I've been on Suboxone off and on the last 4 years. These last 3 years steady at about 4 mg a day. 2mg morning and 2mg at night of the suboxone. My pharmacy closed early tonight and my last does of sub was 24 hours ago. My doctor is easy going on me and I see him twice a year for $60 and he gives me half year prescription for up keep. I hate using any opiods period and took the hydro once for tooth pain and tonight because I couldn't get mine and wanted to sleep at least. I've had dental issues that were very painful and while on suboxone ONE med HAS WORKED GREAT for pain and has been the only one that has on sub for me! Ultram. It's not a real opiate, but it works while on suboxone like a charm and this was infected root/root canal pain.

As far as Hydrocodone and other opiates interaction. A lot of what you see online is wrong or serious users taking maximum amounts of suboxone like 32mg ect. If you want Lortabs or any of that too work waiting 12-24 hours at least after you last sub dose to feel the slightest would be best. After your last dose of Lortab or other opiate you want to wait 12 hours or when you feel crummy to take sub again. It's not so dangerous taking the lorbtab 12 hours or more after the sub, besides some taking too much and risking withdrawl (so be smart). It's dangerous to take the sub 12 hours before your last dose of opiate as it can cause a mild 15-30 minute withdrawl or worse. All that depends on your body size and metabolism of course. I'm 29 and very little 130lb and have a high metabolism.

In the way I explained lortab has worked safe for me, but honestly If I could I'd rather just take the sub, but for pain I know there really is no choice but a real pain killer sometimes. I just feel icky and not all perky as I use too when I take the Lortab. But I think all Suboxone patients like me should know about using Ultram as a safe and very effective method to helping with pain. I just don't see it mentioned enough and it's totally safe to take at the same time whenever and works.
    Last edited by mcg82; 10-08-2011 at 11:54 PM.

1Luckyj is offline New Member

There's a ton of misinformation perpetrated by pharmaceutical companies about suboxone. Here is just a few truths to set things straight:
    1) Unless injected, the amount of naloxone thats assimilated is negotiable and will not block other opiates.
    2) Buprenorphine is a great painkiller, but a powerful and addictive narcotic.
    3) It is a full agonist of u-opoid receptors, but only partially competative at delta- and k-receptors. Therefore, in a low-dose situation (say ~below 2mg), other opiates can out-compete Bup. for binding sites.
    4) If fact, depending on the opiate-specific, preferred binding site, Bup. may enhance the euphoria etc. by "graciously giving up it's seat" at the k- and d- receptors. Now you have the recreational drug doing its thing, while Bup. "massages" it's more receptive receptors.

This is why Dr.s give huge doses and why they mack feel so crumby. If the prescribed at dosages insufficient to fully saturate the body's opiate-mediated-signaling system, illicit drugs would still have an effect. That, combined with the slightly available naloxone is what seems to work for them.

In summary, a word to the wise, don't take your percs, vics, oxys, etc. while on bup and think it won't get through to the old pleasure sensors. Suboxone plays a zone defense, and some players are inevitably too fast for it to win.
    Last edited by 1Luckyj; 10-26-2011 at 01:02 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast