Subutex Withdrawal
    crazyinmass is offline New Member

Default Subutex Withdrawal

I have been tapering down on Subutex (not Suboxone) 8-mg tablets. I have been on these for over 3 years, and was prescribed 3 tablets per day. I am now down to 1/4 tablets 3 times per day. I need to get off of this medicine. The problems is that I cannot get below 2 doses per day without feeling severe withdrawal. Please help me get off Subutex completely within the next few months!!!

Thank you.

RubyDean is offline Member

crazyinmass, good to hear you have tapered down from that ridiculous amount. you seem to be doing much better, and i know from the suggestions on this board are to only dose TWICE a day, and never 3 times. It appears you are taking approx. 2mg's 3 times per day, so that would make you taking 6mg daily. This is a good reduction from what you were once taking, and I am sure Robert can help you taper down from this amount with no problem. The first thing he would most likely suggest is to start taking your dose only 2 times a day. Usually one in the morning, and then the next about 10 hours later.
    Keep up the effort and he can help you out. What most folks do typically is a 25% reduction every 4 days or so...good luck and stay connected.

Red face subutex withdrawal reply

thanks you. my doctor worked me from 4 suboxone per day to 3 subutex about 2 1/2 years ago. it took several doctors almost 9 months to figure out i was allergic to the naxolone. i have been steadily reducing my dosage every 6 months until early this year when i was at 1.5 tablets per day. i have been slowly weaning down to 1/4 tablet twice per day, and doing the third only when feeling really bad and withdrawn. part of my problem is i have been diagnosed as being bipolar. the subutex helps as an antidepresant. i just realize that i need to be free from all medicine - including subutex and other anti depresants. i can mostly hang at 1/4 tablets twice per day, but over the past two weeks, i took a 3rd about every 4 days. i usually take my first dosage at 08:00, the second at 14:30 and the third at night only when needed. i cannot move the morning dosage back any more or the afternoon dosage at this time - but i feel i can work into this. my doctor has no idea that i am reducing my dosage. i am still prescribed 3 tablets per day, but i only refill when needed. once i am done this program, i promise to throw out all remaining subutex and never to give away or use again. thanks (in advance) for helping me.

bev49 is offline Banned

If you are truly diagnosed with bi polar disease, then please be very careful about what you do, medication wise. I have never heard of sub being used as an antidepressant. Were you addicted to opiates? What kind? Are you on lithium or any medication for your bipolar disorder? You can work with RObert here to taper to a more normal dose of sub, but make sure you take the medication perscribed to you for the bipolar. I havea close relative who suffers from bipolar disorder and I know how it can be so please be careful with your meds.

Red face Subutex withdrawal - bipolar and painkillers

i injured my back in 1985 - broke 2 vertebrae and suffered a severe bone infection. in 1996, i rehurt my back lifting a heavy object. i had several visits to the doctor, and i was prescribed tylenol 3, vicodin, and percocets over a 6-9 month period. i could not find the right pain killer to help me deal with the back pain. all of my pain - from the first injury to the reinjury in 1996 - was all upper back, shoulder, and neck. the strange thing about painkillers is that i found i was happier on them and could function better during times of depression. i was more outgoing. anyway, after my back started feeling better in early 1997, i realized how much i liked the painkillers. they felt a part of my life, and i could actually feel like a better person on them. my doctor prescribed 4 to 6 per day, but i was only taking 2, and keeping the rest in reserve. i wanted enough to allow me to feel better when i need to deal with life. a few years later, i found a doctor who was writing me a prescription for 120 to 150 percocets every 3 weeks. although i was only taking 3 or 4 per day, i was building up my supply, anticipating the day when my doctor would stop writing me prescriptions. i then realized i needed more each day to feel normal. by late 2005, i was up to 5-6 per day. by early 2006, i was up to 12-15 5-mg percocets per day. in may 2006, i realized that i was starting to take more percocets than i could build up my supply, so i knew by august that i would either run out or need to do something else to get more. in may 2006, i went to an outpatient rehab, and started suboxone. it was heck getting on the subutex. i had the worst time, and in early 2007, i went to another doctor who realized i was allergic to the naxolone. i was absorbing it. i went from 4 suboxone per day to 3 subutex per day. during my rehab, my doctor and councellor worked together to realize that i am slightly bipolar, and the percocets had a mild antidepressant side effect that was masking it for years. i am not sure if they are correct, but maybe the feeling sof depression were actually withdrawal symptoms from the percocets ans the reaction of the naxalone. whatever it is, i want to be free of everything - absolutely no medicine in my life because i think the subutex is making me feel elevated and normal. but everytime i step down my subutex, i feel like garbage until the dosage levels off. i take first dosage at 08:00 every morning, and by 09:15, i feel like a human being again. i take the second dosage around 14:00, and by 14:30, i feel normal. i truly believe the subutex is the euphoria, and the bipolar diagnosis is a psychiatrist just trying to keep me on drugs. i have tried over 10 combinations of antidepresants over the past 3 years, and nothing has made a difference. only a stable dose of subutex makes me feel like a human being rather than depressed. unless you have felt the same experience, i can't describe it too well. anyway, i have only take 1/4 of the 8-mg subutex tablet for the past 3 days (monday, tuesday, and today). i would like to know the best way to proceed - whether to go to 1/4 tablet in morning and 1/8 tablet in afternoon for next decrease. my doctor does not know i am reducing my dosage, becasue he has already told me i may need to be on this for life, and i would be intollorable to be around if i came off of subutex. God bless, and thank you in advance for any advice.

Red face Subutex withdrawal and antidepressant feelings

most people i have talked to about painkiller abuse do it because they started off with an injury, and they liked the high feeling from the opiods. most people i know who abuse them, including myself, are really introverted, but like the outgoing effects of opiods. i felt a difference on vicodin (more naseau, less talkative) than percocets (less sick, and more outgoing) - so percocet became my drug of choice. mental disease is hard to diagnose accurately - especially depression and bipolar. was it the opiods and withdrawl from opiods causing this feeling, or is it real? for me, i think mostly my bipolars high came from the euphoria of the opiod highs distorting my thinking and sleep patterns. i could go days without sleeping (over 72 hours straight) just from being high. it was hard to distinguish if the medicine was causing this or my mind. the depressions were mostly cured by increasing the percocet dosage per day. i really hope i was able to explain hpw i was treating the "bipolar" with percocet, and now with maintaining an acceptable level of subutex. thank you, and God bless.

banana43 is offline New Member

Default Me too

Quote Originally Posted by crazyinmass View Post
    i injured my back in 1985 - broke 2 vertebrae and suffered a severe bone infection. in 1996, i rehurt my back lifting a heavy object. i had several visits to the doctor, and i was prescribed tylenol 3, vicodin, and percocets over a 6-9 month period. i could not find the right pain killer to help me deal with the back pain. all of my pain - from the first injury to the reinjury in 1996 - was all upper back, shoulder, and neck. the strange thing about painkillers is that i found i was happier on them and could function better during times of depression. i was more outgoing. anyway, after my back started feeling better in early 1997, i realized how much i liked the painkillers. they felt a part of my life, and i could actually feel like a better person on them. my doctor prescribed 4 to 6 per day, but i was only taking 2, and keeping the rest in reserve. i wanted enough to allow me to feel better when i need to deal with life. a few years later, i found a doctor who was writing me a prescription for 120 to 150 percocets every 3 weeks. although i was only taking 3 or 4 per day, i was building up my supply, anticipating the day when my doctor would stop writing me prescriptions. i then realized i needed more each day to feel normal. by late 2005, i was up to 5-6 per day. by early 2006, i was up to 12-15 5-mg percocets per day. in may 2006, i realized that i was starting to take more percocets than i could build up my supply, so i knew by august that i would either run out or need to do something else to get more. in may 2006, i went to an outpatient rehab, and started suboxone. it was heck getting on the subutex. i had the worst time, and in early 2007, i went to another doctor who realized i was allergic to the naxolone. i was absorbing it. i went from 4 suboxone per day to 3 subutex per day. during my rehab, my doctor and councellor worked together to realize that i am slightly bipolar, and the percocets had a mild antidepressant side effect that was masking it for years. i am not sure if they are correct, but maybe the feeling sof depression were actually withdrawal symptoms from the percocets ans the reaction of the naxalone. whatever it is, i want to be free of everything - absolutely no medicine in my life because i think the subutex is making me feel elevated and normal. but everytime i step down my subutex, i feel like garbage until the dosage levels off. i take first dosage at 08:00 every morning, and by 09:15, i feel like a human being again. i take the second dosage around 14:00, and by 14:30, i feel normal. i truly believe the subutex is the euphoria, and the bipolar diagnosis is a psychiatrist just trying to keep me on drugs. i have tried over 10 combinations of antidepresants over the past 3 years, and nothing has made a difference. only a stable dose of subutex makes me feel like a human being rather than depressed. unless you have felt the same experience, i can't describe it too well. anyway, i have only take 1/4 of the 8-mg subutex tablet for the past 3 days (monday, tuesday, and today). i would like to know the best way to proceed - whether to go to 1/4 tablet in morning and 1/8 tablet in afternoon for next decrease. my doctor does not know i am reducing my dosage, becasue he has already told me i may need to be on this for life, and i would be intollorable to be around if i came off of subutex. God bless, and thank you in advance for any advice.
    I know how u feel. I was on Vicodin for an injury and loved the way it made me feel. I have suffered from major depression for years and take anti-depressants. I was up to 10 norco a day after about a year. I went to outpatient rehab and to suboxone and then switched to subutex cuz there was a generic and I was paying out of pocket. I ended up liking the subutex more than the opiates I was on before. I am on my third try to quit (7 days in). I am using opiates to wean cuz when i get below 2mgs subutex i feel horrible. Even with the opiates to take the edge off I still feelbad. Can't sleep, eat, constant diarrhea and the worst depression of my life. The one thing that keeps me looking toward the goal is my family and god. I have never prayed so much in my life. I had no idea withdrawal would be so hard. I hope u are feeling better soon)

Anonymous Guest

Default You CAN Get Off Subutex or Suboxone with ease!

I have come of both Suboxone and Subutex with ease. Twice on suboxone and once on Subutex. As I read the post on some of these Sub WD sites, I cannot believe what I'm reading. People claim they were taking like 4x80 mg oxy at one time, but Subs are harder to come off of? NO FREAKING WAY! ...I'm incline to believe they have never really experienced true WD's.

Both of the Subs are considerably easier to come off of, than most any opiate. Each time I have stopped I've jumped off at, at least, 2 mg's per day, when I jumped. The first couple days you will feel tired and you will have a little bit of the shakes, but it does NOT last for months or even weeks.

I think it's a good idea to come off of anything gradually, so dropping down a little at a time, eventually reaching a low level of say 1 mg, which is by far low enough to get off without experiencing bad WD's. If you do as suggested and come down to .25 then you will have NO WD's. I know everyone is different but not that different.

Do not be scared...just get off this garbage. I will NEVER get back on either of the two, as they are probably worse for the human body than the opiates themselves. Not all, but most Sub doctors are nothing more than glorified drug dealers, getting their piece of the druggie pie. Think about it, how serious are they about YOUR addiction, if they are giving YOU an opiate to get YOU off of opiates? I think they would be different and considered to be more sincere, if they didn't use drugs to get people off of drugs. Don't believe me, go tell your Sub doctor you want off and watch what he or she says, "no, you need more"," just the same as a street dealer would.

Drink lots of water, get something to flush your liver and body, Cold and Sinus meds help a lot with the light WD symptoms as well. Burning weed will help with eating and sleeping, but be careful, as you don't want to trade one addiction for another. Exercise is the key to feeling better, especially when coming off drugs. At the very least, you need to go for a walk everyday and if you can, working out, as pushing yourself will bring you back the quickest. Oh and don't be hard headed, pray and ask God to help and He will.... I promise! I do believe that's why it has been so easy for me.

You just got to get it in your head, you CAN do it and JUST DO IT! ....be patient, come down slow and please ...get off this stuff. You're honestly looking at only a few days of feeling a little bad, which as a drug or Ex drug addict, you've gone through by far worse than getting off of Subs! Ignore these post of people claiming, "it's HELL," maybe for them, but not for you! Get off...stay clean and feel GREAT!

YOU CAN DO IT WITH EASE...Say it... "I CAN DO THIS WITH EASE!" Repeat as needed and hang in there, you're almost well!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-05-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Anonymous Guest

Default One more thing ....

I wanted to add ...the reason I was even on pain meds to begin with, was from a car accident I was in. Six years of pain meds, operations, recovery, etc. ...I was on 4x40mg oxy's a day for two yrs at the end, plus 4 Xannax, then suddenly cut off of all! Which is extremely typical of many doctors these days, when the BIG money part is gone, so are you! ...and they can be quite cold! What's it called again, the Hypocrite Oath? lol

When I went to the Sub doctor, I was started on and continued at 32 mg/per day when on both Suboxone and Subutex. My insurance would only cover the doctor visits and meds for a couple of months the first two times and nothing on the third. It was all out of pocket for almost 3 yrs, 150.00 per month for the doc and another 250.00 for the meds, yep 400.00 a month. BTW, 150.00 is actually DOUBLE what regular MD's get for a visit, but they're helping us right? As I'm sure you can tell, I'm no fan of doctors ...sorry but the truth hurts I guess.

I did taper down by 4mg every week until I got down to 2mgs, then I jumped. I'm no doctor, thank God, however, if you are currently on Suboxone, I would suggest having your dealer, I mean doctor, switch you over to Subutex (cheaper/generic) before attempting to get off, as the naloxone in Suboxone can add to the WD effects. Subutex doesn't have naloxone in it so it's easier to come off of.

Remember ...you CAN DO IT! ...if I could ...ANYONE CAN!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-05-2011 at 02:16 PM.

greeneyedgirl2 is offline New Member

Sub may not be prescribed as an antidepressant, but I believe after taking it for 4 years that it is one of it's most powerful benefits. However, it also makes it much harder to stop taking sub for me; the depression it threw me into.