Subutex to Methadone??? help pls?
    thissux34 is offline New Member

Default Subutex to Methadone??? help pls?

if anyone was taking 8-16mgs of subutex for 2 weeks and now needs to switch over to methadone for financial reasons...how long would u need to wait before starting back on methadone treatment??? I was told he took 6 mgs of subutex this morning at 730 am. Yesterday, he took around 12 mgs of subutex. Would it be safe to say that he can start 5 mgs of methadone around 730 pm tonight? See how he reacts then another 5 mgs in the morning?? He doesnt want to go into the Precip Withdrawals! Any advice is appreciated

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by thissux34 View Post
    if anyone was taking 8-16mgs of subutex for 2 weeks and now needs to switch over to methadone for financial reasons...how long would u need to wait before starting back on methadone treatment??? I was told he took 6 mgs of subutex this morning at 730 am. Yesterday, he took around 12 mgs of subutex. Would it be safe to say that he can start 5 mgs of methadone around 730 pm tonight? See how he reacts then another 5 mgs in the morning?? He doesnt want to go into the Precip Withdrawals! Any advice is appreciated
    He will not go into PWD going from subutex to methadone. It's going from methadone to subutex that's tricky. He won't feel the effects from the methadone for at least 48 hours but most likely 72+ hours. I would suggest he waits at least 2 days until he starts taking the methadone however, so he can gauge the proper dose to get through the withdrawals because the first couple days he will feel NOTHING, especially at that high of a dose. What was he taking before the subutex? There is also a big difference in dosage between subutex and methadone. 5mg of methadone is nothing after taking subutex, he would probably have to take between 20-50mg daily after subutex and whatever he was on before