Page 1 of 79 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes
Suboxone Withdrawal
    Pop127 is offline New Member

Default Suboxone Withdrawal

Hi, I have been on Suboxone for around 4 months now, and have slowly tapered down from 8mg a day to 1mg a day, and was on that for a few days. I've stopped taking them, it's been 98 hours (4 days) since I took my last dose of Sub, and the withdrawal symptoms are pretty bad but I don't think they're quite as bad as when I was taking 8-10 10mg hydrocodone a day. My question is, what is everyone else's experience with Suboxone withdrawal? Is it much like a regular painkiller withdrawal? How long do Sub detox's usually last? Really, I just need SOME kind of information to get me through this. Thanks.

-Pop127

Also, I have heard that taking a few hydrocodone during a Sub detox can actually help. If I did this, would it hurt me any way other than mentally? Would I go into full withdrawals because of it? I've heard so many things I'm not sure what to believe. I just want to know this wasn't all for nothing.

-Pop127

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

I wouldn't take any hydro, it's not worth it reall and you don't want to relapse.Sounds like you're doing pretty well.If it gets bad you can take .25 .50 mgs of suboxone...Good luck and hang in there you're doing great.......Dave

Take more Suboxone? The substance that I am currently having withdrawals from? I am 5 1/2 days in and it is hell....won't that just prolong my withdrawals? I don't know if I can take anymore of this....please help.

I'm sorry,I misread your post.Of course you don't want to take the suboxone.You could try a few hydro's but you have to be very careful or you could relapse.Buprenorphene really hangs on to your MU receptors. So it's gonna take awhile for you to start to feel normal again.If you can get out for a walk in the am and again in the pm.Walking helps promote endorphin production and that's what you are lacking right now which is why you feel so lousy.Eat high protien foods and drink gatorade or any other sport drink.Stay away from the caffine drinks as they will make you feel terrible.Good luck and hang in there.Let me know how your doing...Dave

aDrummer is offline New Member

Angry yikes

i have been on suboxone for 7 days. i was taking 40-50mg of hydro for a few months, gradually building up to that amount after 4 years. do you NEED to stay on suboxone for months? can u just take the suboxone long enough to get you though the withdrawals of the hydrocodone then taper off? man i am so pissed off for getting myself in this situation.

Hi aDrummer. Don't stress about it, you're not so far in that it will be hard to fix. I was in your situation once. I was severly misinformed about Suboxone and the effects it can have, only I was 5 months in before I found some answers. I hated myself for getting into it when I should have just gone through the easier hydrocodone withdrawals. I'm not saying that Suboxone is not for you, you just need to gather as much information as you can before going any further. Read up on this, and then check out the rest of the site:

http://opiatedetoxrecovery.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_>>=7538

You will find a lot of useful information there, as you have to be very careful with Suboxone. Let me know how it turns out.

aDrummer is offline New Member

Post Thank You!!

pop....thanks for responding, just talking (typing) about it is making me feel better. i have been reading postings all day. THANK GOD i found out about suboxone when i did. i just want this to be over. i really appreciate you taking the time to respond. really!!!

No problem, just let me know how things turn out.

bkfizz is offline Junior Member

i went into treatment for morophine and vicodin. the last day i used was 4/17. i was given suboxone for 3 days. (they do not do outpatient sub). another clinic is getting back to me on mon or tues. will it be worth my time and money to try? i am still going thru withdrawls. thanks

Yes it will be worth your time and money. Suboxone is helping literally thousand and thousand in their recovery.Go for it for sure.....Dave
    cindy myers likes this.

Lee Durham is offline New Member

Default suboxone

After 5 years of Hydro (30 to 50 - 10/500 per DAY!) I finally went to Suboxone back in 2003 when it was just coming out. It worked right away. I took it for a year (8mg down to 1mg). I finally stopped and for 7-8 days and nights I was dying again (I thought). Stayed awake all night with leg aches. After that - no more pain and no more withdrawals. Pretty much normal... I do believe that, because of the damage in my head from over doping, I will never be as happy as I ever was. I have, taken a few hydro's on a weekend since then, about once every 3-4 months. I have found that I am X-TRA happy when I take a few than I am in a normal everyday life. I do not recommend it but because of my lifting I usually hurt something every few months... but I won't go to the doctor to get prescription, I will only go to a friend who only lets me have a few to get me through the healing process... then it's over. Suboxone help me make myself a new life and I am truly thankful.
    cindy myers, SweetMarie and subluv like this.

bkfizz is offline Junior Member

do you think i will be too far from my using date for the meds to do anything? I still have cravings, sneezes, leg creepies,diahrea(sp?), and headaches. please let me know. thank you

CairoKid is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by mpvt View Post
    I'm sorry,I misread your post.Of course you don't want to take the suboxone.You could try a few hydro's but you have to be very careful or you could relapse.Buprenorphene really hangs on to your MU receptors. So it's gonna take awhile for you to start to feel normal again.If you can get out for a walk in the am and again in the pm.Walking helps promote endorphin production and that's what you are lacking right now which is why you feel so lousy.Eat high protien foods and drink gatorade or any other sport drink.Stay away from the caffine drinks as they will make you feel terrible.Good luck and hang in there.Let me know how your doing...Dave

One good point- walking. Most folks in withdrawals don't want to exercise. At the least, force yourself to walk. It helps....Been there, done that ...Walk and keep hydrated...won't make you feel like a million $$$, but it will help.
    Best wishes.

CairoKid.

"We have met the enemy and he is us"
    "The first casualty of war is the truth"

CairoKid is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Durham View Post
    After 5 years of Hydro (30 to 50 - 10/500 per DAY!) I finally went to Suboxone back in 2003 when it was just coming out. It worked right away. I took it for a year (8mg down to 1mg). I finally stopped and for 7-8 days and nights I was dying again (I thought). Stayed awake all night with leg aches.<SNIP> . Suboxone help me make myself a new life and I am truly thankful.
    Oh man..I have to post. The leg aches killed me (almost). Did you also have the inability to get your legs comfortable...the tossing n' turning? So...coming off the suboxone is really that bad? Jeez....dope withdrawals damn near killed me. So, the suboxone w/d is just as bad? (If you don't mind me asking).
    Best wishes.

Cairo Kid.

"We have met the enemy and he is us"
    "Ther 1st casualty of war is the truth"
    Last edited by CairoKid; 05-04-2007 at 10:03 AM.

They are not necessarily worse. You have to do the treatment EXACTLY the right way for your particular case. I've come to find that most doctors really do not know enough about addiction and Suboxone to properly treat different cases. You just have to make sure you are prepared and well informed before you get yourself into Suboxone treatment.

For me personally, it wasn't a very good idea. I did the proper 6 month 8mg down to 1mg dosage and jumped off and went through horrible withdrawals for over 2 weeks. It has been 3 weeks now since I quit and made this post, and I'm still having minor WD symptoms. You have to realize that Suboxone has a very long half-life and will stay in your system for MUCH longer than your typical painkiller. Not to mention that it is much stronger.

I'm not trying to badmouth Suboxone, as it can and has worked wonderfully for many people. But there are also many others who have experienced the bad side of Suboxone treatment..... and I can tell you that it is not pretty.

Read this and the rest of the site for more life-changing information on Suboxone. It helped me tremendously:
    http://opiatedetoxrecovery.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_>>=7538

-Heather
    cindy myers likes this.

THORSONAROSE is offline New Member

Unhappy i NEED SOME ANSWERS CAN ANYONE HELP???

Quote Originally Posted by Pop127 View Post
    Also, I have heard that taking a few hydrocodone during a Sub detox can actually help. If I did this, would it hurt me any way other than mentally? Would I go into full withdrawals because of it? I've heard so many things I'm not sure what to believe. I just want to know this wasn't all for nothing.

-Pop127
    I HAVE BEEN ON A QUARTER OF AN 8 MILL SUBOXONE FOR 31 DAYS NOW AND I LOVE IT BUT I HAVE RAN OUT AND I DON'T HAVE A DOCTOR! SO AM I IN FOR SERIOUSE WITHDRAWALS NOW? IF SO HOW LONG AND HOW BAD IS THIS GOING TO BE IT HAS BEEN A VERY LOW DOSE I HAVE TAKEN BUT IT IS DAY ONE AND I ALREADY HAVE THE SWEATS SO I AM SURE THATS NOT A GOOD SIGN!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

starryskies is offline Junior Member

After reading all this now im terrified to even try to get suboxone. Im going through vicodin WDs and I have been trying to get suboxone to get me through them. I had no idea that those WDs are worse then the ones im already going through. Is it worth it in the long run?

jayt is offline New Member

Hello,I just ran across this forum.I have been on opiods for 10 yrs,I have taken methadone,oxycontin,hydrocodone,and suboxone I was on suboxone for 1yr and have just now came completely off the meds,it has only been two days and I fill like hell,allthough its not as bad as other opiods,it is worse than I thought.I can tell you by taking hydros while coming off of suboxone will only make your withdrawls worse.Go to the dr and get some blood pressure pills they will help alot.
    maintexas likes this.

PhenoBarbiDoll is offline New Member

hun it's ok.....sub detox is very bad and you have to not forget that it stays in your system for a bit.....
    look we have to "kick" at some point right?
    day 5 is nothing for Sub. I'm not a bull********************ter....I been sick before and you want to basicly go use or die....
    SEE this is WHY I REFUSE to take the sub for longer than 12 days!!! THAT'S IT!!!

I'm soooooooo sorry your sick....
    you seemed very shocked.
    Trust me....go back to the Dr. you know and I know you are not just ganna "chill out" until the 2 weeks are up....PLEASE let me know ok?? let me know how ur doing too
    my e mail is on my profile hun

gkmod is offline New Member

Default suboxone w/d

suboxone is really hard to kick. harder than the othee stuff.
    man i am on my 8th day. i feel like death has me over an open fire. the dr. gave me ambien cr which is useless, and klonopin which i think ,makes it worse. no sleep for 3 days and i am weak. i took it for a year and now i just want to be half way well. i am losing hope.

livetillidie is offline New Member

Hey, Im just starting to realize what a bad situation I got in by choosing the "easy"(ha!) way and starting suboxone. Ive been on for 8 months and no time is every the right time to stop. Im so fed up with all of this I finally desided just to stop. Im currently at 8mg down from 24. at one point I got down to 4 a day-every other day, but I started to feel a constint depression, a whole month I could barly get out of bed. so, I upped the dose and have been feeling fine with the exeption that I am still dependent on drugs!! I just want to be off for good, finally. I havent taken any in 4 days and I've realized this is not going to work, Ive got a life with many many responsibilities. I need to find a new doc (I moved 2 months ago) and do this rationally. so... does anyone know what a good dose would be to get back to some normalicy? I know its different for everyone but I want to know in general if you are at 8mg take none for four days and start WDs, should you take the same 8mg dose to stop the WDs, or is it better to take a smaller dose of say 4? I dont want to take a dose and end up being zonked, nor can I tolorate WDs now with tons to read and more to write. I need my good funtioning brain back !!!!

Survivor23 is offline Junior Member

Well, I am new here. So I want to be very careful how I word this reply as to not offend anyone. I clicked on the post suboxone, because I too am taking that medication, and it almost seems like everyone on this tread is TRASHING it. I thought this was a forum for support and positive influence. I do understand that you guys are talking about your own situation which is fine, I guess if you've had a bad experience with it, You would share that because it is truth. But for all the people who have not tried suboxone they are probably getting the wrong idea about the whole thing. When I found the suboxone website, it was a sign of hope for me and the push of encouragement that I really needed to take the first step and call a doctor in my area. Every single one of us is different, but alike in the fact that MOST everyone on this site is an addict.
    For me, Suboxone has really helped. I am still on the medication so I don't know how the withdrawls are from it, but thats something you talk to your doctor about. One of the reasons it may be hard for some people to get off is because they were on a long term plan. For myself, I am on a short term plan. That goes back to saying that everyone is different, and thats the reason why you and your doctor sit down and make a plan - to go better together with your lifestyle.
    I was taking roughly 8-10 vicoden a day, mostly 1000 mgs, and sometimes when nothing else was around I'd get the 750's and take even more because of a lower mg. I did that for a little over 2 years. Sometimes when I would be feeling extra sorry for myself (and out of pills) I'd come here and read the blogs, I even made a 'screen name' on here before a took part in discussions, about how badly I wanted to change and blah blah blah, untill I got my next dose of pills, then I never signed on here again.. That's until I really made a change for myself - something really clicked with my heart and mind together that I didn't want to live this way forever. I have not taken any vicoden or loratab or any of that in four days - and I can thank the suboxone for it. It's not that I CANT get the vicoden because I used to go to a dealer, not a doctor..and trust me living in my shoes I know everyone in the 20 mile radius that does sell. It's the fact that I simply don't want it. So my doctor and I decided that I would take 1 8mg in the morning and another one before I go to sleep. And if I feel like to take a half in the middle of the day I can. (I just have to call him and let him know) Yesterday, I did take the half in the middle of the day but today I'm feeling better and I don't think I will need to. Then I will call him tomorrow and he'll tell me what amount I will be taking tomorrow (lower dosage) and we're just going to keep lowering my dose over the next two weeks till eventually I am off of it. He also put me on 25mg of seraquil at night I take it before I go to sleep, and I'm taking it as a sleep medication but it's actually for bipolar...because a lot of times insomnia is a lot like bi polar with the extreme highs and lows. Which I think I will ask him if I can stay on that even after I'm done with the suboxone.
    Also, I signed a commitment contract with him that says I will take part in drug counceling, and that's not just talking to a councelor but also like NA and things like that. It's not a miracle drug. It doesn't do everything for you - It takes care of the physical, it's your job to take care of the mental.
    All in all, I just wanted to write about my personal experience. I just think that before anyone new makes up their mind on a method to help you, don't just go by others experience - If you're really serious about getting help at least go talk to a doctor and if you need to take a peice of paper and write down everything you have seen in the blogs and talk it over with a professional, don't get scared away. If you're really serious about getting clean don't shut the door before you have all the experience.

I think and know that ORT (Opiate Replacement Therapy) works very well and is far more successful then NA and AA's 5-10% success rate.
    Methadone and Buprenorphene(subutex,suboxone) are the two drugs in the fight right now but from what I have read there is more on the way as the medical fields are realizing that this is the best way tkoo help a recovering addict.Good luck with your recovery!!!I'm 5+ years on daily methadone and my life is better then it ever has been.It takes alot of work above just taking methadone but it's worth it.......Dave

Worked4Me is offline New Member

Just wanted to echo positive results from my experience with suboxone. Luckily, I was able to find a doctor who was willing to do a home induction, meaning he prescribed me suboxone to fill on my own, take home with me, and take my first dose(s) several hours after my last hyrdos. I was up to about 12 10/325 a day at that point and 8 mg of suboxone was a good fit, which I was able to knock down to 4 mg within a couple months and gradually to 1 mg, 1/2 mg until a couple days ago when I stopped altogether (full process took 10 months - I started this in January). At that point, I had tapered to about a 1/3 or so every 36 hours. I would highly recommend this sort of slow tapering; I spent about a month or two at each level and my body told me when I was ready for less. I literally started forgetting my dose at certain intervals. I know that many physicians recommend being very structured about it, and this is good for many, but I think that we all learn how to read our physical reactions after having to pay such close attention to dosing while taking substances inappropriately. An important thing to note: the time I had the easiest effort tapering was during a major renovation on my house where I was working several hours extra doing hard manual labor (s********************ing, painting, etc.). This was the first experience I had "forgetting" my doses of suboxone. So I'm definitely recommending what others have said about exercise. The more active I am, the less I crave.

Now to how I've been feeling lately. My physician prescribed me a certain amount based on how I was gradually reducing on my own. I ran out a couple days ago and I'd be lying if I said that I didn't wish I had a little more at this point, but the withdrawal has not been terrible at all. I had some initial exhaustion, and my hands feel clammy and tingly during the day. At night I get the restless leg thing (no aches however), and restless sleep, but overall it's not untenable. My physician wrote me a script for an antidepressant med that has a strong sleep side effect. This has helped but sometimes makes me more sleepy the next day (I think it is amytryptaline) so I don't take it much anymore. To be honest, a couple drinks at night has worked the best (I know this isn't appropriate for those with alcohol problems, but for others...). Helps at least with the initial sleep, although not later on at night.

My overall message is that suboxone saved my life. I feel like that monkey is off my back now, and I'm more in control of my life. It helps if you can find a progressive physician who will work with what's best for you (i.e., I was not a candidate for the full 12-step, counseling, detox, etc. AT ALL and I would have continued as I was if this was the only option). More and more physicians are doing home inductions, so ask about this if it seems right for you. Hope everyone has a smooth transition and that this helps in some way. I'd be happy to answer questions about my experience if anyone has any. First time I've ever written about it - to anyone! Thanks for listening and good luck. It's worth it, believe me.
    tnmn77 likes this.

paranoid1 is offline New Member

heres a way to describe my w/d's.

i feel like i worked all day in the hot sun and got sunburned. i then immediately threw on a hot, polyester suit from the 70's. i then squeezed myself into a crowded pew at church, where the air isnt working. but i cant show my discomfort. i must smile and pretend everything is ok, all the while suffering and feeling insecure about my nastiness. lol

this is mainly how my anxiety feels, though im really sick of the hotness i feel. my throat also feels like a lump of coal. i feel the need to eat a lot and i think it might have to do w/ the burning throat, etc. its like i dont know if im tired, hungry and just frazzled to no end. i look in the mirror and seem ok. hmmm

ymccormack is offline Member

It sounds to me like people are going on Suboxone for dependence to relatively small amounts of hydrocodone and the like....

The way I understand it....the suboxone would be harder to kick than say 6 vicoden a day for 3 months. I'm not belittling the dependence....but these people would be better served just going cold turkey.

It's people who are using large amounts of strong drugs over long periods of time that benefit from suboxone. They need the suboxone while the receptors heal.

Just goes to show....do your research!

YM
    LauraL3 and tnmn77 like this.

paranoid1 is offline New Member

well, when i was about ready to lose it and my doc gave me a sub and told me to lie on a couch for an hr so he could make sure i tolerated it, i certainly didnt care about deliberation or research. lol. I think this drug may have saved my life or my quality of life. Unfortunately, i hope it didnt just mask something and im still gonna have to deal with whatever it is...

Worked4Me is offline New Member

Default doing your research

Actually, I did research on suboxone for over a year before actually accessing it. The truth is that suboxone is NOT appropriate for high levels of dependency to stronger opiates, e.g., >>>>>>, oxys until the amount of those are tapered down. In fact, high dose Methadone users cannot transition to suboxone until they reduce the amount needed as well (around 30 mg or less, depending on the source). No offense, but whoever posted that message didn't do his/her research, evidently. I'm not sure about the reference to 6 vicodin a day for 3 months. Myself, I was taking high levels of 10/325 (up to 15 a day) for 3-4 years, of course progressing from smaller amounts over time as is typical of accumulated tolerance. Cold turkey would have been a nightmare as my system had been hard-wired by that point and was used to very high levels of hydros (which equate to lower levels of stronger opiates anyways). Suboxone gave me the ability to slowly taper over time and also had the secondary effect of keeping my spirits up because the impact on the opiate receptors can also have the benefit of avoiding the mental/emotional crash along with the physical that makes it so much harder to avoid relapse. Yes, even without the obvious euphoric effects of a straight opiate, I noticed the difference in my psychological state when I was taking the suboxone and only now am feeling a bit down after stopping altogether. A bit of a loss of energy also, although I'm feeling better today than yesterday.

sfumato is offline New Member

Unhappy 3 great years then into hell

im not sure i made the right choice..Ive been on sub for almost three years and also have been %100 clean and sober during this time ...I started out on 24mgs sub comming off of a massive opiate habit 200++ mgs per day smack,oxycontin,dilaudid,MScotin,fentnal patches and lollypops a real garbage head..taperd SUB slowly over nearly 3yrs by my own desire.My Dr was more than willing to maintain me for LIFE...but NOooo i hadda be the hero
    had no problems till i got below 2mgs and then started going down hill i managed to get all the way to .25 thats 1 quarter of a 2mg tab took last crumb 48 hrs ago and im in full blow WD the usual no sleep horrible leg cramps MIZ-RA-BLE...!Have read alot on forms about this but now im living it I can call dr anttime and she will reup me but im caving from pressure to just go through it NOw but i dont know i have a life and i can stay in bed for 2 weeks
    Last edited by ddcmod; 04-19-2011 at 04:04 AM.

Page 1 of 79 1231151 ... LastLast