Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By donewithdrugs
  • 1 Post By arlenewla
  • 1 Post By kevin9494
  • 1 Post By cheeky
Suboxone vs methadone
    msn1511 is offline New Member

Default Suboxone vs methadone

I am on 2mgs of suboxone but switching to meth, don't want to take more than 10mgs of meth. Will this have the same effect as the suboxone? Can someone help me? I have heard bad things about both drugs.

Hi,I'm currently on methadone(I hate to hear it called meth makes me feel like a tweaker!)I have never used suboxone.I have had my whole life changed(for the good)I'm addicted to methadone but I'd rather have that than my other addiction.I don't know how large your habit was,I've never heard of anyone being on such a low dose of methadone for addiction.Your doctor or methadone clinic will know best.They moniter you closely to make sure all your W/D's and cravings are gone.My dose is large but so was my habit.I wish I'd never seen a pain pill.It sure screwed me up.Good Luck,let me know what you decide.[]

donewithdrugs is offline New Member

Suboxone is way better for you than methadone. Investigate before you make that decision. There is information for you on the web. Look it up, google suboxone! Trust me, I've been on methadone, and it's so much harder to come off of and it's bad for you!! Educate yourself!
    Tyna likes this.

arlenewla is offline Junior Member

quote:Originally posted by donewithdrugs
    Investigate before you make that decision. There is information for you on the web. Look it up, google suboxone! Trust me, I've been on methadone, and it's so much harder to come off of and it's bad for you!! Educate yourself!
    I would totally agree.

It's rather unusual to switch from Sub to Methadone. It's usually the other way around.

What is the reason for your decision to do this? Is is about finances or a doctor who will no longer prescribe Sub?

I personally would not recommend it. I was on Methadone for 15 years. Warmly, Arlene

Arlene F.
    Exodus from MMT; 12/25/02
    There is no easier, softer way; if nothing changes, nothing changes
    Tyna likes this.

fablelinked is offline New Member

Default Methadone vs. Suboxone

Does suboxone let you feel as good as methadone does? I just started with Methadone treatment for my Narcotic addiction, a week ago, and was thinking about switching, but I was wondering if suboxone allows you to feel like you do on Methadone...

caroline27 is offline New Member

Exclamation Please Reconsider!!!!!

OMG!!! I am sure you have heard the potential hazards of Methadone but I have to tell you anyway! My mother died in 2004 of taking 10mg methadone for pain management-SHE LASTED A WEEK AND DIED IN HER SLEEP!!! I was in shock especially after counting her remaining pills and realized she had not taken it the last two days!!! I understand it is the answer to an >>>>>> addicts withdrawal symptoms, however, they are administered the meds and watched closely on a daily basis. Unless you get a doctor that truely understands the dangers in this you are walking a fine line.

The problem with meth is it stays in your system much longer than any other drug. For instnace, your body should metabolize a vicodin within a max of 12- 24hrs. Methadone takes anywhere from 48-36 hrs to metabolize in your body. Depending on the person!!! So in other words your slowly overdosing yourself. Many people have lost loved ones from just one single dose because their body can't metabolize it. Just recently a mom and dad lost their 17 year old son that had everything going for him because he had been fighting a cold and had not been sleeping well so a friend gave him one single pill and never woke up again.

I am only 26 and need my mother more than ever and her grand kids miss her immensely. PLEASE, if you do decide to try meth for pain management or what not, I would get blood work done OFTEN to check all of your levels. No one told my mom to do that, it would have saved her life! It will preserve yours. God Bless! and Good Luck!!

wtfkatie is offline Member

I'm on methadone for a vicodin addiction, Have been on it for 3 years. I'm 18 years old, 19 in in a week. Being young doesn't know 'I don't know what i'm talking about, though.

I'm currently on 100mg of methadone, going up to 110 tommorow because 100 isn't holding me over anymore.. Methadone takes away ALL, Withdrawl symptoms, and i've heard that sub doesn't, that it just takes off the edge.. I'll warn you methadone withdrawl is THE WORST Withdrawl ever experianced.. I was off it for 2 days and literally could not stand up without falling over. The half life is said to be 24-36 hours but my body metabolises it in 4-8 hrs. I"m on a tripple split dose, I take 40mg in the morning, 30mg in the afternoon and 30 at night.. They're switching it to 40, 40, and 30 tommorow.. Having a split dose works better for people with a fast metabolism, because without one you'll be in withdrawls before the day ends.

kevin9494 is offline Member

Default sub to meth

Hi,
    Take it from me, that WILL be the biggest mistake you ever make in your entire life. Methadone is a living nightmare. Once you get on it, you stand almost NO chance of ever getting off it. I was on a high dose (150mgs) of methadone for 3 years. Coming off of it was like I was going to die. It sucks everything out of you. Plus even regular medicines will never work again. Tylenol, cough syrup, anti-depressants. It ***** everything up inside your body. I gave my methadone clinic $13,000 in just under 3 years. Not to mention I wrecked 3 brand new vehicles driving to and from the clinic that was 90 miles (one way) away. Once they get you they will continue to raise you dose until there is NO turning back. You will walk around like a stoner all day long. It keeps you very fuzzy in the head. I am now on 16mgs of suboxone and I now feel 200 X better than I ever did with methadone.
    Whatever decision you make. Good Luck. Kevin.
    My email is snoclaf94@msn.com if you would like to talk.

Quote Originally Posted by msn1511 View Post
    I am on 2mgs of suboxone but switching to meth, don't want to take more than 10mgs of meth. Will this have the same effect as the suboxone? Can someone help me? I have heard bad things about both drugs.
    Tyna likes this.

azel202 is offline New Member

I'm on suboxone as well and I am thinking about switching to methadone, has anyone made that switch? If so, what do you find to be the pros and cons? Thanks. The only reason I am thinking about switching is because I am on the highest dose of suboxone the doctor will prescribe, 32mg/day and I spend all day thinking about using. Its been 6 months and I'm still fighting serious urges every day. Then I found by snorting it I would get a bit of a buzz and actually feel alright. I don't want to snort things anymore though, I feel like it is just enforcing a bad habit. I've upped my dosage on a number of occasions and it still didn't make a difference. It also gives me the nods worse than any opiate I've ever taken and gives me terrible sexual side effects, I'm literally asexual, I don't have any sexual desire and if I did I wouldn't have the ability to carry them out. I flunked out of 2 semesters due to pain killers and I'm almost out of money so i need to be on something that works for me. I understand the dangers but perhaps I could go the methadone root for the maintenance period and when I decide to go for the gold and clean up all together I could go the suboxone root. I feel like suboxone would do the trick when I'm ready to dedicate all of my attention to getting clean but for the rest of this year I've got a 30,000 dollar investment I need to protect by focusing on school. Any suggestions? Thanks a million. Also, suboxone is bloody expensive.

~azel202
    Last edited by azel202; 10-08-2007 at 11:04 AM.

livetillidie is offline New Member

May I ask why your considering switching?

I switched from Methadone to the Sub in March, I definitly think the Suboxone is better in terms of a serious committement to stop using. Because the Methadone is a full antagonist the potentional to just get as addictted to it as any other opiod. Im not saying the suboxone is great but I believe it to be more constructive. After 8 months Im down from 24 to 8 mg a day and I want off for good. but not for another drug!!!
    good luck!

ashlasl is offline New Member

Default methadone is an enemy

i was on methadone of and on for six yrs had to get on it found out i was pregnant,

methadone always feels like a trap there is all these major fears with being on methadone, like getting to clinics everyday even in storms. stuff like that, vacations, really being on a clinic is full time job if you live like i do having to drive hour and half for clinic,

also no matter how much methadone i was on i had to keep going up, i never got to where i wanted to,
    i was terrified to come of of it thougb for hating it so much, i ended up using benzos with it and i went to jail for hot urines, well i withdrew from 190 mgs of methadone

i believe one things though, i believe that >>>>>> withdrawal is worst it just is quicker, i

i dont know to much about the suboxone i have been on only week, but from talking to others they tell me it has different side effects, that your not tired all the time actually opposite,

when i was on the metha i could sleep forever,

i am trying suboxone because i hate methadone it may work for some but i have really yet to see any success stories personally , but i have with suboxone

i dont know if this helped but honestly i think methadone is the worser of two evils
    ashla

metro6996 is offline New Member

Default Meth to Suboxone

Today is my first day taking Suboxone. I hope this will help some of your questions since I was terrified changing over to Meth to Suboxone thinking that I would go into major withdrawals from not waiting long enough. So I will tell you a little about me and my first day experience.
    I am 34 male 5’10” 180. I was taking 13mgs daily of methadone for the last three months. I started Methadone 3 years ago at 80mg and began slowly weaning for the last year to the present, 13 mg. Before Meth I started using opiates for 3 years first Hydro that led to Oxy that eventually led to intravenous >>>>>> use of $100-150 a day. My last dose of Methadone was on Tuesday at 8:00AM. I waited 53 hours (Thursday 1 PM) to take the 2mg Suboxone tab. I took it and paced my home waiting to feel the effects of either major withdraws or relief from the moderate withdrawals I was already in. 20 mins. went by and nothing really, 30min I’m starting to feel better, maybe a little. After 45 mins I felt…. FINE, NORMAL! PRETTY GOOD ACTUALLY! More importantly no perceptive withdrawals thank god. Its giving me no euphoric effects (I don’t feel high and lazy!). So far so good, and its 5:40PM. Tomorrow I plan to take ½ of a tab (1mg) since it has a 36 hour half life. Then the day after that I plan to take a whole and see how that works then so on and so on. (this is how my Dr prescribed it) The plan is to wean off of it in the next 1 to 2 months. I will let you know how it goes from here. Feel free to email me with questions I would be more than happy to discuss, anchorsteam@live.com. I’m so grateful not having to go to the DISGUSTING METHADONE CLINIC! Good luck to all!

cahope is offline New Member

Default my story on methadone

i was addicted to takin pills (vicodin, oxycotin, methadone) i moved from vics all e way to methadones. I never took handfulls of pills, i always just followed what the prescription said to take (i stole them from my mother who was the one prescribed the RX) so when i realized it was a problem and hadto buy from the streets i looked into treatment programs. When you are addicted to a drug you will always experience withdraws and some are worse than others. To me that was the hardest part of my addiction because i would be so sick and could not function that i would go and use again and take the easy way out. So when i decided that i really wanted to change i chose to go to the methadone clinic and all though it helped with the initial withdraws and staying sober for a 1 yr & 1/2....it was the worst choice i ever made. All though i was on the program for a 1 yr. 1/2 and NEVER once used during that period. I was not at all prepared for the severity of the withdraws you expereince when taking methadone. After being off the methadone for about 4 months i relapsed and used again, this time i saw it getting worse so i decided to go back to the clinic even knowing >> hafto go throuugh the withdraws again. So after being there for 9 months and after two attempts of tappering off the RX, i was at 5mgs and the w/draws hit me hard so I increased to 13 mgs. At that dose i could function and not feel the withdraw and it semi- blocked the cravings.. THis time at the clinic has been a horrible expereince, i have been shuffled around by 4 counselors (due to them quiting) and have been treated by staff like a $ sign and a repeat addict who will never get better rather than a human being. But there is light at the end of MY tunnel, here i was at 13 mgs and deathly scared of the withdraw i HADTO go through in order to be done with the clinic,(even though some might say....13 mgs...how BAD could the withdraw REALLY be?? it probly is not even comparable to what others have gone through being on a higher dose,but for me its a horrible enough expereince that i NEVER want to do it again) I had been doin alot of researching on suboxone and it seemed to be the answer to my prayer. It has taken 2 attemps to start the suboxone (u have to not dose for 2 days before u can start the subooxone) but I DID IT... im at 6 mgs on suboxone and feel like myself, normal! it did not give me any kind of "high" and so far im doing GREAT! I know what needs to be different this time when i tapper off the RX so that i will not relapse and can live a life of sobriety.... utilize NA and a permanent substance abuse counselor and surround myself with SUPPORT. I do not plan to be on the suboxone for more than 2 months.
    I SERIOUSLY RECOMEND if your thinking about going the methadone route to SERIOUSLY reconsider. Im not quite sure how many have been succesfull and have "graduated" from a methadone maintance program, but i can guess that the % is VEREY low. I asked staff at my clinic what the success rate is and NEVER could get a clear and confident answer! DO YOUR RESEARCH ON METHADONE!!

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

Let me try and summarize the two medicines here without anyone using their personal experiences. IF your goal is SHORT TERM DETOX then you go with suboxone. It allows time for your brain to heal while acquiring some clean time under your belt and keeps your withdrawal symptoms to a minimum.

IF your goal is LONG TERM TREATMENT then methadone may be the way to go. If you are a chronic relapser, if you just can't get passed the mental assault that comes along with opiate detox then methadone may be for you. It helps with cravings better, there are more treatment options and there are punishments for relapse ( I.e loss of take homes ). There is a major stigma attached to methadone but there is also a lot of positives. No more chasing drugs. It allows your brain to continue to function properly while learning how to live a normal life. You're no longer engaging in illegal activities and so on. Believe it or not there is a very high % of people who can't function normally after opiate abuse. Not everyone can overcome it. Methadone saves lives and I don't mean just literally but figuratively. You don't have to hit rock bottom and lose everything! If and when the time comes where you want off the methadone I would suggest switching to suboxone and tapering from there.

danielc.11084 is offline New Member

Default My Suboxone Story

I have been on suboxone for over 3 years now. My doctor started me off on 16 mg and now I am on 8 mg a day. It took a long time to adjust to the 8 mg but i eventually did. Let me first just say suboxone is a very powerful drug. If anyone ever tells you it's easier to come off bupe than lortab, oxycodone, etc. is full of ????. If I go more than 8 hrs without a dose, I start getting the sweats, very irritable, and fatigue. Now I will also say, this is better than the pain pill addiction I had. Spending a $1000 dollars a month buying hydrocodone off the street wasn't fun at all. I am so far in this addiction now, I don't see me getting off the bupe for a very long time. The worst part is the severe stomach pains I get. I'm talking serious pain. My doctor says it's the constipation but I don't know about that. I never had this pain with the lortab, never. As for the methadone? Not no but HELL NO! I've seen that ???? turn friends into junkies who lost everything.

TheRza82 is offline New Member

If you're starting to experience withdrawal symptons in only 8 hours then either you are not taking the drug the right way, you're lying, or it's all mental. If you've been on Subs for three years it means that your opoid receptors are absolutely saturated in Buprenorphine. If someone weren't on sub maintenance and took one dose of 8MG Suboxone they wouldn't be able to get "high" off of other painkillers for over 72 hours. For someone such as yourself who has built up a huge tolerance and has been on the drug for three years, it should take days to start experiencing those symptoms you described. I have been on Suboxone going on two years and about a year in i started abusing it. I would regularly double up my dose from 16MG to 32MG to get "high." Doing this would mean that near the end of the month I would run early before my doctor's appointment so I would regularly go 48 hours plus without my medication...The longest I went was 80 plus hours. Yes, after about the 40 hour mark I started feeling agitated, lost motivation, was super exhausted but I still never experienced withdrawal...Even when I went 86 hours I was still fucntioning. For someone like us who have been on this medication for years we shouldn't experience symptoms like you described for DAYS. I know that everyone has a body chemistry and that drugs effect people differently but you should not be going through withdrawal at 8 hours. I hate to doubt your story but I think what you're going through is all mental.

Do you take your dose all at once or take it twice a day? At first you should take your medication twice a day but after a few months when you're stabilized you should take it all at once due to the long half life and it eliminates an addict behavior that you "need" to dose again.

As for the stomach pains...Are you constipated or not? Do you have regular bowel movements? Many people will agree that Suboxone constipates more than any other opiate out there...Including a three balloon a day black tar >>>>>> habit. It's all about staying hydrated, eating fiber, and if you're super constipated taking myralax daily. You pour it in your drink and it's tasteless and after about a week of taking it daily you become super regular. I used to go weeks without bowel movements now I go at least once a day...sometimes two to three times a day.

Jncvariety is offline New Member

Default What type of Dr does one go to for suboxone?

I want to try that to come off a couple year methadone addiction. I want my life back. Tired of being sleepy all the time, suffering withdraw symptoms every time I unsuccessfully try to detox, etc...

bborozo is offline New Member

Well, I am not sure about the people posting here, but some people must be a lot different than others. I have personally known more people who have successfully used a methadone maintenance and eventually detoxed than used suboxone to detox and stayed clean. Neither one will keep you clean if you still want to use. I have been taking methadone for 3 months now, and I feel great. I have been at 120 mgs a day for about 3 weeks, and I should not need to go any higher. No withdrawals, no cravings whatsoever. I have been in the same room with people using many times in the past month, and I have had no urge whatsoever to use. The suboxone never controlled cravings at all and always left me feeling so ?????? in the past that I would be obsessed with using. I do not feel tired during the day at all, yet I have no problems sleeping whatsoever. I have known several people who used the methadone program to successfully detox and are now living quite normally. I feel better than I have in a very long time, and now the future is looking great to me. After using for about 10 years, it is amazing that this drug can have me feeling so normal with no cravings. Every single person I know thinks methadone works a LOT better than suboxone to manage opiate withdrawal and detox. I am talking at least 10 people I know. However, you should not listen to anyone else and you should use whichever one you are more comfortable with. If you are determined to quit, they might work equally well. For me, methadone worked in ways suboxone never did. However, other's may be different.

cheeky is offline Diamond Member

oh man so sorry to see you so sucked in by methadone. yeh sure you feel great now, no cravings, its great ay.? yeh i know coz i did that too mate. BUT and heres the big but, if you want to get off at some stage, you will then eat your words. the reason you can sit in the same room as people using, is coz YOU ARE USING. high amounts of opiate. please dont be sucked in, you say '''' now the future is looking great to me. After using for about 10 years, it is amazing that this drug can have me feeling so normal with no cravings. Every single person I know thinks methadone works a LOT better than suboxone to manage opiate withdrawal and detox. '''

dont get me wrong, methadone was a great tool for me. it got me stable, and able to hold down a job, and stop spending my money on drugs. but it IS STILL A DRUG. you are not managing opiate withdrawl, or detox, because you are not detoxing or withdrawing.
    trust me. it is THE HARDEST drug to get off. your best bet would be to remember this, and not stay on too long. how long it too long.? we never know. i just know its really hard to get off. and i used subs to successfully get off.

i totally agree with usiing methadone, of course i do, but just be aware, methadone is merely prolonging your addiction, and in the end, makes it harder to come off. very hard.

you mention that subs left you feeling so ""??""", it sounds like you only used subs to get you thru till your next score, not to use properly as a tool to get clean.

good luck, i hope you get your life together, and get off methadone, before you too, end up hooked with the liquid handcuffs that get us in the end... its such a tie down.

ive never felt so free in my life, to up and get in my car, and go see someone, stay as long as i want, without having to approve takeaways from the damn clinic. or make sure there is a pharmacist, or whatever.
    its great

good luck. and stay vigilant. be aware you have replaced you opiate is all. no detox or withdrawl involved, and thats why you aint craving....

just sayin
    rld73 likes this.