Suboxone Users - Please answer these questions
    PoppyQueen is offline Member

Default Suboxone Users - Please answer these questions

I currently take about 8 - 10 Vicoprofen a day. I've been on them without a break for 5 years. I have a lifelong addiction to pain killers.

Questions:

Can you still drink alcohol on Sub (I don't mean binge drinking, just beer or wine)?
    Can I still take my anti-depressant on Sub (I will be giving this up too at another time)
    What do you take for pain? Can you take Tramadol?
    Can I return to work the day after I start treatment? Or will I be somewhat sick?
    Will Sub hopefully kill my love affair with pain killers (sorry but I still enjoy that high--when it happens)?

Anyone who can answer any of these questions, thank you!

PQ

seenitall is offline New Member

Hello Poppyqueen,
    Looks like you have a little habit like I once did. WELCOME!
    I will make this short. Get on the Suboxone!! Best thing that ever happened to me! No cravings from day one and I am upbeat and happy going to work and doing my daily activities!! Can you drink alcohol? Well to be truthful, You can drink socially while one Suboxone...it doesn't effect me. Even though they say that you shouldn't...But...But..But....then again you are not supposed to drink while on Vic's either....but we have! Same kind of thing!?! You know what I mean. But I don't think you should take the Anti-depressants while on Suboxone.....I believe that they ARE NOT a good mix!?! Anyway, good luck! Do the right thing!
    quote:Originally posted by PoppyQueen

I currently take about 8 - 10 Vicoprofen a day. I've been on them without a break for 5 years. I have a lifelong addiction to pain killers.

Questions:

Can you still drink alcohol on Sub (I don't mean binge drinking, just beer or wine)?
    Can I still take my anti-depressant on Sub (I will be giving this up too at another time)
    Can I return to work the day after I start treatment? Or will I be somewhat sick?
    Will Sub hopefully kill my love affair with pain killers (sorry but I still enjoy that high--when it happens)?

PQ

Ali-77 is offline Junior Member

I have never taken Sub im on methadone maintaince but i have read alot about it. Do you get it prescribes or did you get it on your own. I hear less is more meaning the less you take the more affective and when your just starting you take 2 mgs at a time wait like 20 mins if your not feeling better take another 2 mgs. Also i know you have to be in with drawls when you take it for the first time or it will put you in with drawls most ppl i know wait atleast 12 hours after there last dose of tehre drug if not 15 hrs of they can wait it out. The longer the better. Also i would if you could take the first day off of work to see how it hits ya. And i believe Tram is also a addictive drug and also has withdrawls so i wouldnt bother but youd have to take to a Dr about that.
    Hope i helped alittle but im not a exspert Hopefully someone else that has first hand exsperiance with it and can help you out with anything else.
    Alicia

caseyjake is offline New Member

I, too, am on Suboxone and wonder about the drinking.
    I just started 8mg/day, but I enjoy wine with dinner and have for most of my adult life (I am now 40). I was taking 8-9 Norco/day for just over two years, and want to turn my life around. That is why I found a doctor who could get me started on Suboxone. However, they won't tell you whether or not it's ok to drink wine, for they think you will substitute one addiction for another...and become an alcoholic. That isn't the case for me...I simply enjoy my wine with dinner, and it never goes over two glasses/night.

Does anyone have any insight on this? Been on Sub and enjoys his or her wine? Knows a doctor and has received the true answer? Anything like that? I just can't get a straight answer on this.

Many thanks!

Angela H is offline Member

Hey everyone~
    I am currently 41 days clean of Lortabs (my drug of choice) because of Subutex. This medication comes in 2 forms...Subutex (buprenorphine) and Suboxone (same as Subutex, but has an extra ingredient (Nalaxone) for misuse. In other words, on Suboxen if you take a pain pill, you won't feel anything. The Nalaxone covers all the brain receptors, so no Opiate can penetrate. In a way, this is a very helpful tool if you're afraid you might slip up and take your doc....because you would strictly be wasting your time and money. It can also send you into immediate withdrawals.
    About drinking on it...my doctor says it's okay as long as you don't over due it...ie..get drunk.
    I've been taking Lexapro (SSRI Antidepressant for 2 years) and my doctor told me stay on it. So far I've had no problems.
    As for pain, Sub is an opiate 50 times stronger than Morphine, so your pain will be covered. Should be no need to take anything else.
    As far as going to work the next day...as long as your dose is not too high for you, you will be more than fine to go to work.
    Most doctors tend to start patients too high with this drug. It is soooo much better to start lower and increase if needed. Starting too high will only make you sick and it takes a while for this drug to wear off....as it has an extremely high half life.
    If anyone here is interested, go to the featured conditions section of this forum and click on painkiller addiction. From pages around 135 and up are a lot of Sub stories, questions and answers. Last week my doctor sat here with me and answered questions and gave some advice.

Please check that out...there is a LOT of Sub info under "painkiller addiction"

statik is offline New Member

Just a question hoping someone can help me with? I had been on about 40 mg of methadone a day. I just recently started suboxone. I had gone cold turkey off the methadon for about 5 days before starting the subox and have been taking it for about 11 days. The latter 3 at about 8mg a day. Last night I stupidly did some o.c. nothing really, less then 20 mg. It was about 12 hours after the subox, my question is how long do i wait until i take the subox again? will it make me sick, seeing as how i wasn't really addicted to o.c.'s i wasn't sure? Thanks for your time.

Natalie08 is offline New Member

Hello, I have a question. Next wednesday my husband has an appointment to go on the Suboxen. Right now he's still taking his Narcotics. Does he need to completely be off of them when he goes to his appt.? He is still taking them so that way he's able to still work without feeling bad from the withdrawls. Should he just try to quit cold turkey a day or so before his appt.?????

tamara02 is offline Banned

Natalie the day before is fine ,just so he is in some type of withdrawal,thenas soon as he takes the sub the w/ds stop.ok take care Tamm

Ankoku15 is offline New Member

With any type of narcotic (especially alcohol or psilocybin as these generate effects because they are poison) you should use extreme caution when on any other type of medication. The only way to know for certain is to ask a physician about it. The have (or should) a good knowledge about what they are giving you and if it is potentially dangerous to mix it with any types of chemicals.
    Now, a normal doctor will probably tell you you can't or shouldn't take anything else as it is detrimental to your health anyways so ask them if there are any chemicals that cannot be mixed with your current medication.
    If they don't mention alcohol make sure you bring it and anything else you take or are thinking of taking as they may assume you don't use or forget to mention it. (more so with illicit substances then with alcohol)

melissa22 is offline New Member

hi, my name is melissa and i am worried for my fiances life. i recently found him almost dead due to an excess of >>>>>> and oxys. he admitted to me that he has been a "user" for almost 3 years now. i read about this drug SUBOXEN and i wanted to know if there was any way to get a prescription for it. i begged him to go for help but he wont go. he promised me if i got him these pills he would stop. im worried im going to lose the love of my life. if anyone can help me out, you can email me privately at missdtchess22@aim.com

thank you so much

sydbean is offline Member

CaseyJake: you wrote: "Does anyone have any insight on this?" I would challenge you to consider this. If you have no "problem" with alcohol or feel you are not "using" it like your other drugs of choice than why is it so hard for you to just accept that the doctor said it isn't a good match so you shouldn't use it.

If he had said perhaps....While on this medication you can't eat saltine crackers (I just picked any random item for my example)I highly doubt that you would be on this forum asking if you could eat them anyway.

When hearing that restriction, your coming on the forum and trying to get someone to tell you that it is okay should be throwing up warning flags all around you...

I hope that this post didn't come off as b*i*t*c*h*y as that was not at all my attempt. I just know the games our addicted minds try to play and all the ways we can try to convince ourselves that using "just this once" or the idea that "well, this isn't even my drug of choice..." and other such BS is the nature of the addiction beast!!

Best of luck!!

~Syd

Statik ~ I was wondering if you would mind answering a few questions I have.

~ Did you taper your methadone or did you jump off at 40mg.?

~ How were you feeing by day five, or even how were those five days overall?

~ When you did the actual swap and took your first doses of Sub. how did they do that? Did they give a few mg. and wait to see how it worked etc...?

I would really love to hear as much detail as you feel comfortable about sharing in terms of how the entire process went...kinda a step by step.

I totally understand and will not be offended at all if you decide that you don't really want to get into the nitty gritty of it right now!!!

~Syd

lexapoo is offline New Member

Default methadone to suboxone

i tried to get off methadone using suboxone & it was the worst mistake i've ever made, next to my first shot of >>>>>>. i did everything the 'experts' told me to do - tapered down to less than 20mg methadone, had over 24hrs w/out methadone before the switch-over, etc. if you want to get off methadone, taper your dose SLOWLY. i'm at 4mg now & it's taken me 3 years to get down to this dose. but that's part of the therapy, going slowly, for physiological reasons. there's no magic to it, just patience. if you taper your methadone dose slowly enough you will not feel withdrawals like the ones we rightfully fear so much. suboxone, from what i've heard, sounds better for people going straight from >>>>>>/opiate to treatment, not for methadone patients.

Lexapoo ~ When you say that going to the suboxone was a mistake what exactly happened? One thing I noticed is that you said you only waited 24hrs. to start the suboxone. You may have had a problem with that because the half life of methadone is much larger than that. Most people that I have heard that did the jump from methadone to suboxone have been made to wait at the LEAST three day (72 hours) and if possible four days.

What happened with the suboxone that you did not like?? Was it the switch or was it something else??

I ask because I have thought of trying it myself and it seems like a lot of people have been sugar coating and "pushing" subox as the way to go so I am very interested in what went wrong for you....

Any details you are willing to give would be great and by the way CONGRATS on your taper. Only 4mg now. Your a rock star!!! Great Job. And you say you have had little to no withdrawal in your taper, correct? WOW!!!

Wolverine77 is offline New Member

Sydbean: Read my post in the "painkiller addiction" section re: Suboxone. If you are looking for a substitute for vics or other opiates, then it's great. But if you're looking to get off of vics or opiates, do not go on Suboxone. Any questions, let me know. Oh and another post I read, yes you can take anti-depressants with sub. In fact, it's often encouraged. I am very fearful a lot of ppl on here are giving misguided advice and information. Be careful who you listen to. I saw someone say you shouldn't take anti-depressants with sub. I would like to know where this information came from as it is absolutely incorrect.

utryit is offline New Member

Wink

I've been on suboxone for less than a month and it has proven to be everything I expected. I don't get "high" as I did with methadone or other opiates but I do not experience any craving either. I feel as though I got my life back.

I specifically asked my doctor, what medications are contraindicated with Suboxone. He said, really there aren't any medications that you can't take while on Suboxone - even other opiates (but don't expect to feel anything). I asked about emergencies that require a higher level of analgesic help that Suboxone can - i.e., morphine, demerol, etc... he told me to read the card that I was given to carry with me at all times, should something happen and I am unable to respond. The card reads that should I be in a situation requiring stronger pain relief than suboxone (which is a partial agonist, therefore, not as effective for pain as methadone, morphine, etc.), the medical professionals should know that I am on Suboxone because it will require double or more, the normal amount required to forcibly supplant the suboxone.

I specifically asked about tramadol because of headaches - tramadol is the best thing for headaches that I've ever found, plus I cannot take NSAIDs and acetaminophen is like a sugar pill. He was hesitant but suggested that I try 1 with caution and go from there - i.e., listen to my body. Tramadol is contraindicated with methadone because it has an observed weak opiate activity which is actually never been absolutely proven as far as I have been able to discover - just observed, but current literature says that it "could" precipitate withdrawals. However, I took Tramadol with Methadone because the 2 together seemed to prolong my Methadone affects. Go figure... I am on Cymbalta and Adderall and experience no problems. Of course the Suboxone prescribing doctor knows everything that I take regularly and intermittenly. Suboxone has a benefit over Subutex with the naxolone in that you cannot overdose on Suboxone. All that said, I would like to try Subutex alone - which you can overdose on - but could feel the full effect of the buprenorphine HCL, even though it is a partial agonist.

Like someone else on this list, I started too early after my methadone - 3 days between 80 mgs/day of Methadone and Suboxone. It took 2 days for me to gain stability. As time goes by (now into week 3), it gets better and better.

...the adderall, which I have been on for a couple of years, seems to amplify the suboxone. That was unexpected. I told my doctor who wants to monitor that over time and possibly pull my adderall back. He didn't like that but I told him that I did like that - didn't help much! So, I know now that I should learn when to keep my mouth shut! LOL

bobbyholmes is offline New Member

Default suboxone and oxycontin

if I get my doctor to prescribe suboxone,do I quit taking my oxycontin right away,or do I continue to taper down the oxycontin while taking suboxone?Or do you quit your oxycontin pills completely the day you go on suboxone?Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Bobby

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

You stop all opiates for 24-48hrs and then start the suboxone.You should be in moderate withdrawls before you start the buprenorphene.If you start the suboxone before you're in moderate to severe withdrawls you will suffer precipated withdrawls and believe me u don't want to go through that.Good luck......Dave

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Default Bobby

Dave is 100% correct. When you get ready to take your first dose of suboxone the dr will either use what is called a COWS score for you or something similar. COWS is a clinical opiate withdrawl scale. You need to be in moderate to severe w/d before you start suboxone. If your COWs score isn't high enough, or you aren't in serious enough w/d, the dr will make you wait a few hours before dispensing any suboxone. Stay in touch and let us know how you are doing on the suboxone. You will receive lots of support here that will really help while on the suboxone. Good luck and God bless.

kathy8167 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by PoppyQueen View Post

Questions:

PQ

Can you drink alcohol with sub? The doctors say no. They say no alcohol with almost any drug. My experience: yes but if you drink a huge amount at one time it could cause respiratory and cns depression. Just as if you were drinking with other opiates, be careful. A couple three glasses of wine I have no problem with. Just don't expect a wonderful high like drinking with opiates. I don't find much of a high at all. This could cause you to drink a lot more which could be dangerous. Mostly, drinking on sub just gets you tired and sleepy.

Can you take anti-depressants with sub? Yes. If you are currently taking them, keep taking them!

What do you take for pain? Can you take tramadol? My doctor prescribed tramadol to me for severe pain but I got precipitated withdrawal from it. Not bad but I got the sweats and craved more suboxone. Didn't work at all for me. Tramadol binds to the opiate receptors and can cause precipitated withdrawal in opiate addicted people. I have known some who can take it. Depends on your body, I guess.

Can I return to work or will I be somewhat sick?

Yes you can return to work the day after your first suboxone. You will feel fine, trust me.

Will sub kill my love affair with pain-killers?

Yes and No. Sub will definately stop your withdrawal. It's wonderful to feel "normal" every day. I don't feel high, I just feel ok. I'm working on external things for happiness now. ie: therapy, church, NA meetings. That is my "high" now. I still get a craving for opiates now and again. No withdrawal, just wanting that la-la land feeling. The suboxone helps me feel normal (no withdrawals) but there is definately no la-la land effect. BTW, taking more suboxone to get that effect doesn't work either. I just remind myself what I'd be giving up if I returned to the opiates. I get through the craving by watching a funny movie and laugh hysterically, have sex with my fiance, or go out with my friends. I do what makes me happy and thank God that I can actually experience that happiness now without being high. After the craving subsides, I am so glad I didn't use. So you will probably feel a craving, but it's nothing like cravings when you're currently on opiates. Suboxone is a miracle for me. Good luck!

maemae25 is offline New Member

i agree with you i was on methadone for 2 year i think it helps but doesnt anyway i was done with haveing to go get it and such so i decided to go detox and they gave me suboxone not alot 8 mg and i tapper each day. the first 2 day were tuff and methadone does stay half life but im on day 6 and i feel great you just have to give it time you just have to get off the bump of feeling bad i sugest to that other person go to a 4 day detoxI and they will help you through it you just have to give the sub a change to work. YOU WIL FEEL BETTER. SORRY i kinda wrote it to the both of you.

lovelifamilyof3 is offline New Member

Default suboxone and anti depressants.

I just wanted to say that I have been on suboxone for 18 months and I have also been on anti depressants for 16 months. even though i was on the suboxone i was really depressed about everything that happened before i decided to get clean and also all the stress from trying to recoupe from all the damage I have done. Besides my decision to get on suboxone the next best decision i made was to get on anti depressants. It helped me to be in the right frame of mind when I needed to be the most. Any way I know a few doctors that prefert there patients to be on a anti depressants when being on suboxone or any other drug programs. There are no serious risks by combining the 2 now benzo's on the other hand can cause you to overdose it is a bad mix. The only way you will know if it is right for you is to first get on the suboxone then if you are still feeling mentally awefull i would discuss it with your doctor and i am sure there wont be a problem with it. Now if you are already on them the doctor is n ot goping to deny you suboxone because you are on anti depresssants. I believe that the combination of the two was what helped get back to the life i wanted to live and certainly a lot easier.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by lovelifamilyof3 View Post
    I just wanted to say that I have been on suboxone for 18 months and I have also been on anti depressants for 16 months. even though i was on the suboxone i was really depressed about everything that happened before i decided to get clean and also all the stress from trying to recoupe from all the damage I have done. Besides my decision to get on suboxone the next best decision i made was to get on anti depressants. It helped me to be in the right frame of mind when I needed to be the most. Any way I know a few doctors that prefert there patients to be on a anti depressants when being on suboxone or any other drug programs. There are no serious risks by combining the 2 now benzo's on the other hand can cause you to overdose it is a bad mix. The only way you will know if it is right for you is to first get on the suboxone then if you are still feeling mentally awefull i would discuss it with your doctor and i am sure there wont be a problem with it. Now if you are already on them the doctor is n ot goping to deny you suboxone because you are on anti depresssants. I believe that the combination of the two was what helped get back to the life i wanted to live and certainly a lot easier.

I'm glad your life has turned around so much with the suboxone. It's a great medication when used properly.

I do have to tell you that I'm kind of concerned about the eighteen months of use. You're going to have some dependency issues after using suboxone for that long. I'm a believer in using suboxone, but I'm a believer in low dose short term use.

If I may ask what dose are you on at the present time? Would you mind sharing how your dose has or hasn't changed during that eighteen month period you've been using them? I'm just trying to look out for your best interest as all too often some drs RX too much suboxone and for too long. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

torikeay is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by mpvt View Post
    You stop all opiates for 24-48hrs and then start the suboxone.You should be in moderate withdrawls before you start the buprenorphene.If you start the suboxone before you're in moderate to severe withdrawls you will suffer precipated withdrawls and believe me u don't want to go through that.Good luck......Dave
    My husband and I are currently on suboxone, we were each eating a 100mc fentynol patch a day. The morning we decided to go to the Dr. we each took 6 norcos just to get moving and two hours after taking them the dr. gave us each 4mg of soboxone. I was surprised that he gave it to us with the norco in our system, I thought we were going to have to wait 24hrs before we could take our first dose of soboxone. It worked within 10 to 15 mins and we have been free from cravings ever since. It's been 5 weeks tomorrow and it was the best thing we have done for our lives. I never thought we would be able to get off pain meds, we had been strung out on them for 4 years and the fear of withdrawl was so scary. soboxone is amazing and I highly recomend it for anyone who wants to turn their life around. as for those of you on the methadone program, I've heard it's a little differen't it takes a little more time to feel up to par. Also i was told NOT to drink alcohol on it or it could be fatal who knows it's probably so you don't switch addictions. Anything in moderation is what I belive. i'm just sticking to suboxone it's an amazing Medication for people with PK addiction.