Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Robert_325
  • 1 Post By Robert_325
  • 1 Post By Robert_325
Suboxone....starting on it and stopping successfully
    Robert_325 is offline Retired

Default Suboxone....starting on it and stopping successfully

I know that everyone is different. I just feel I should share my experience as it may help someone else starting, getting ready to start or wanting to know how to take Suboxone successfully and then stop. Let me say that for those of you that have been on Suboxone for an extended period of time, like many months, this probably won't help you and I would recommend a slow taper as most everyone else does. But if you are like me, I did not want to stay on any drug for a long time, and Suboxone is a drug. Not wanting to do another drug is why I went into rehab to start with.

I detoxed from OC and other drugs years ago ... was taking 25 30mg Roxicodone a day plus Somas,Xanax, Remeron, a bunch of garbage drugs .. just like so many of us. I relapsed due to ongoing pain from serious injuries and health problems. This time around I was taking 40 Lorcets a day,(400mg of hydrocodone daily) plus probably 25 Somas and loads of Xanax and Klonopin. I was a zombie. I was in ambulances 4 times the last week alone before admitting myself into detox again. I was on the verge of death no doubt. This had gone on for several years. I have had my heart stop and nearly died numerous times. I only share this to make the following point.

I logged on to this site and saw nearly everyone taking 12, 16, 24mg and more of Suboxone a day. After all the drugs I had taken for so many years, going back almost 40 years ago in high school, I started on only 12mg the first few days and then dropped to 8mg with no problem. I don't understand why everyone needs so much Suboxone. Surely everyone is not taking that many more RX pills than I was taking. I would recommend that you do not take more than 12mg a day if possible to start, but reduce it as quickly as possible if you want to get off.

I am convinced the key to using Suboxone successfully is to realize it should be used to stop the W/Ds from opiates... whatever opiates we are on. That is what I understood it to be for. My psychiatrist wants me to stay on it indefinitely, but I think he doesn't want to lose a patient. Drs are like any other business, they need customers. My receptors were just as fried as anyone elses. I did not have to do Suboxone for a year so I could heal from the damage I had done to myself. Maybe others were doing 100 Lorcets a day and I was a wimp. I don't think so.

I knew I would suffer W/Ds for probably close to a month as many RX drugs that I was taking. I took my Sub faithfully for about 3 weeks and decided it was time to change. I did not have to do a slow taper, no horrendous night sweats, no puking, no nothing. I had an upset stomach one day. I went for about one week skipping doses, then skipping days. Last Thursday I took only 4mg, Friday had a stomach ache and took maybe 2mg at the most, and have taken nothing since. I have had no W/Ds whatsoever. Nothing. I am convinced that the people who have quit Suboxone successfully have not stuck around to share their experiences, but have gone on with their lives. Not everyone has a difficult time with Suboxone. We only hear from the people who are struggling.

I was actually upset when I realized what my dr had given me in rehab, that I was still going to have to go through W/Ds according to all that I read here. Well it just isn't so. I have had 5 knee operations (played competitive racquetball and ran cross country for over 20 years), have degenerative disc disease, congenital scoliosis, Rheumatoid Arthritis and Raynaud's Phenomenon. I am always in some pain. But the whole key to using Suboxone is to realize what it is actually for. It is not going to replace OC or hydros or other pain meds. It is designed to help us get off of those drugs. Why try to replace our habits with another drug? Granted, Suboxone is better than OC or >>>>>>. I have no doubt of that. But we don't have to continue to use it indefinitely. It is mind over matter.

There are exceptions to every rule. I am sure there are people who for whatever reason have to take Suboxone for an extended period of time ... like maybe for getting off >>>>>> or methadone or something. I don't know. I just know for a fact that if you are an RX junkie like me, it isn't necessary. Don't listen to the garbage that is put on you that you have to take Suboxone for many many months and then taper off after you have spent thousands of dollars on scripts and you are still addicted to something. I think Suboxone is great. I am not against it at all. It saved me from another miserable time in rehab. It just needs to be used as it was intended. Then you can stop with relatively no problems whatsoever.

Good luck and I hope this helps someone. You can see daily posts of what was happening with me and some others during the time on Suboxone under the thread titled Suboxin started by Allyopp in Featured Conditions.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 04-15-2008 at 01:26 PM. Reason: spelling
    dave1231j and HarrySmooth like this.

chalumni is offline New Member

Default Suboxone for postacute withdrawal

Anyone out there taking Suboxone for postacute withdrawal after detox from opiates? Thirty years taking opiates and postacute withdrawal symptoms are a *************************.

Quote Originally Posted by chalumni View Post
    Anyone out there taking Suboxone for postacute withdrawal after detox from opiates? Thirty years taking opiates and postacute withdrawal symptoms are a *************************.

I was taking opiates on and off, mostly on, for nearly 40 years. Suboxone will help you I assure you.

evolutionofthemind is offline New Member

Unhappy Problem with Suboxone tablet dissolving correctly. HELP!!

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a Suboxone question that I can't find any answers for. I can't get the tablet to dissolve correctly underneath my tongue.. the best it breaks down is into a pool of yellow paste, and no matter how long I let the "dissolved" paste sit under my tongue, it doesn't go anywhere. I've been just swallowing it after 20 mins or so cause I don't know what else to do, but I think I'm getting the naloxone with any buprenorphine and is canceling out the opiate. I've been at this madness for two weeks now and don't know what to do! I even took the pills back to the pharmacy and they replaced them; when I got the new ones I had the same problem as before. I've followed the directions perfectly. I even take a drink of water, swish it around in my mouth and spit it out before placing the tablet carefully under my tongue. I've tried breaking the tablets in half, and even in quarters and nothing works. Someone please help! Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated, either on here or by email:

evolutionofthemind@msn.com

Thanks.

Evan
    Last edited by evolutionofthemind; 11-29-2008 at 08:35 PM.

I always drank a glass of water before I took the medication and never had any major problems. Eventually it always dissolved for me.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    I always drank a glass of water before I took the medication and never had any major problems. Eventually it always dissolved for me.
    It does eventually dissolve... but just, like I said, into a orange paste in a pool of saliva. Do you just let the tablet sit there under your tongue? or do you take a pro-active approach and press down on the tablet with the backside of your tongue to "force the action"? I've taken medication sublingually before but none of them were even as close to being as difficult as the suboxone...
    Last edited by evolutionofthemind; 11-29-2008 at 08:58 PM.

Take another sip of water if you have to if it will help it dissolve better. Other than that I don't think there's an answer to that one. Suboxone isn't the easiest to dissolve. I always managed though when I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionofthemind View Post
    I was wondering if anyone could help me with a Suboxone question that I can't find any answers for. I can't get the tablet to dissolve correctly underneath my tongue.. the best it breaks down is into a pool of yellow paste, and no matter how long I let the "dissolved" paste sit under my tongue, it doesn't go anywhere. I've been just swallowing it after 20 mins or so cause I don't know what else to do, but I think I'm getting the naloxone with any buprenorphine and is canceling out the opiate. I've been at this madness for two weeks now and don't know what to do! I even took the pills back to the pharmacy and they replaced them; when I got the new ones I had the same problem as before. I've followed the directions perfectly. I even take a drink of water, swish it around in my mouth and spit it out before placing the tablet carefully under my tongue. I've tried breaking the tablets in half, and even in quarters and nothing works. Someone please help! Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated, either on here or by email:

evolutionofthemind@msn.com

Thanks.

Evan
    this has never happened to me try not to look at it after you put it in mouth please take no offence maybe its a mind thing maybe your minds playing tricks on you its not uncommon with drug addiction

Quote Originally Posted by learning_to_be_free View Post
    this has never happened to me try not to look at it after you put it in mouth please take no offence maybe its a mind thing maybe your minds playing tricks on you its not uncommon with drug addiction
    lol I hear you on that one..

it just seemed like for the first two weeks the pill would dissolve great.. I had no complaints, now it's being stubborn. I took 48mg of suboxone yesterday trying to get at least one of them to dissolve, and I felt more withdrawal symptoms then opiate feelings - how can that be all in my mind?

it just seemed like for the first two weeks the pill would dissolve great.. I had no complaints, now it's being stubborn. I took 48mg of suboxone yesterday trying to get at least one of them to dissolve, and I felt more withdrawal symptoms then opiate feelings - how can that be all in my mind?
    thats alot of sub ask dr if there is a way to measure how much is in your system that a good way to find out if its a mind thing or not. you have me stumped beyond that though it should have gotten easier to take not worse. try taking one in front of the dr show him your results , the orange paste see, what he says

musicman48 is offline Senior Member

Drinking alot of water before will help but try this also.After breaking the pill in quarters place a very small ice chip under your tongue at the same time as the quarters..You can also try a very :and I mean very small ice chip on top of your tongue while the sub is under your tongue.As the ice chip melts it will help dissolve the pill.Good luck
    Last edited by musicman48; 11-30-2008 at 12:19 AM.

sisterwin2 is offline Senior Member

It sounds to me that your sub has been exposed to moisture or they are old. I would take the remaining back to the pharm and let them see them... don't expect too much from them as it is a business.

I suggest you let the pill melt for ten minutes then just spit... this worked for me well...as I said on your other post that the sub is absorbed by the blood stream via the veins under your tongue and just by the tongue itself.

Let me also just put a warning on the dose you just took....... I was on 40mg as rx by my quack. Way large a dose..... putting the 1/2 life of the drug in action you will be affected by that dose for the next 10 days or so. I would be careful about how much you digest as there is little known about the long term affect of suboxone with prolong usage. Just food for thought.

I am going to bump up a post that I acquired at another site... I suggest you read it. It is not my work but from another sub user who was misinformed. That person got the information thru many yrs of helping others wean from suboxone.

Godspeed,
    Sister

Quote Originally Posted by Bean222 View Post
    Robert!

I noticed you said people do not need to be on subs many months, what do u consider many months? I am going on close to 3 months. I being i abused them for over a month and then came to this site to get help and ran into you and you and i have been on this taper for about 7 weeks now. If all goes well i should be done mid January. You know all about me and my history and i dose drop to .70 tomorrow. I have done it to a tee and reduced my dose by 25% every 4 days.

Also, what i did for my .70 dose is cut it with a straight razor. I cut a 1mg strip and then just cut some of the top off of it, you think that is ok? I found that an easier way to go. So it is just a little smaller than a 1mg strip since i took a little bit of the top off of it. Just wanted to ask that because i noticed you were not on subs long at all, where you? I mean u were off of them within weeks, am i correct? Thanks look forward to hearing back from you.

Gina

When I induct a person it takes about 8 weeks or so. It took me about 6-8 weeks. You're over a couple weeks or so .... that is no big deal considering you showed up already using them. God bless.
    Bean222 likes this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

sessy1979 is offline New Member

Thank you! I don't think he reliezed how bad the withdrawls would be coming off 1mg ... I messed up on my last post ... he's been on 1mg once a day for the last 3months ... so he only took .5mg for a week before stopping cold! The first few days seemed fine but the last 2 days have been really rough for him! The leg and body aches are the worst! He's been taking a sleep aid at night but it doesn't seem to help so he basically stays up til he just can't hold his eyes open anymore! Any idea how long withdrawls can last??

Anonymous Guest

Just wanted to make sure. I also just noticed the date you wrote this. I thought this was something you wrote today. LOL.

I also know if i would of found you right when i got on the forum u would not of started my taper at 4mg. We have discussed that. I was already using them and jumped from 8-4mg in a day but i am sure i could of gone lower since i had only been on them a few weeks. Point now is i am doing well, and know there will be a little discomfort but today has been better.

Did u see what i wrote about the .70 strip? I just cut it into a 1mg strip and cut the top of and it looks about .70 and is smaller than 1mg, you think that is close enough. Doing the very best i can to get it all to a tee cause u know how badly i want to get through this as soon as possible. Today i did stay on the dose an extra day but for the most part i reduce every 4 days as protocol says.

Thanks Robert!

Gina ... that sounds fine. Just eyeball it as closely as you can. You'll get it plenty close.
    Bean222 likes this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Anonymous Guest

Robert~

That is exactly what i did! thanks so much for all your help. Having a bit of a headache today so i just took some excedrin migraine so hopefully that will help!

I will touch base on our thread later tonight and let ya know how i am!

Thank you and God Bless

Anonymous Guest

Default nzew to forum help please

Hi Robert It appears as if you are the man to come to regarding Suboxone tapers. I started reading your post here and realized it was for someone who has only been on a short time. Im over 4 maybe 4.5 years. I down to .4mg per day along with my wellbutrin 750mg and depakote 1000mg and xanax as needed 1-2 mg. Can you recommend a post perhaps where you or someone else have done in the past dealing with a long slow taper ? My problem is my wife un benounced to me was taking my sub ever since i got it ! She weaned her selves down to litteral crumbs less the a .25 mg STILL could not jump. Maybe because of the COW scale. She did finally get threw the physical WD when i went to rehab ( 6 weeks) over 4 yrs ago but the PAWS were so bad so she jumped right back the second i got home which i did not know. She said she was suicidal and i believe her. I just found all this out last December I was shocked and upset as you can imagine. Any way, Now that i know about it, were in it as a team and we have commited to do it. We have to Other wise the resentment on her part will kill our marriage even though she is the one who took them ( i introduced them into the house). I had a set back with my heart attack and surgery last month but got back to .4mg within a week of being home ( thats what i had to use for pain when i got home and increased dosage.. it was weird) i have control over the the meds now so she cant get to them unless i give it to her. Any help would be appreciated on the taper. My goal is to be finished with Suboxone this year Then ill go to work on the xanex. Im just going to start a taper on them and take as little as possible by stashing all the extras away in a safe place. Ive been on them longer then i can remember & I got stuck away from home this weekend with out them for the first time it was a nightmare a real wake up call Worse then the Sub I do believe it hit so fast within less then 24 hours thanks

or583 is offline New Member

I am 22 and just last week i saw this doctor since at the moment im addicted to ambien and that helps me with anxiety and the truth is anxiety is the main reason i went to street drugs and oxycontin. However when i went for detox five days ago my problem wasnt any opiate i havent taken opiates for months and even if i do i save them for extreme pain i dont go crazy anymore and the doctor immidiately gave me subutex 16 mg daily now i figured i dont need the extra 8 its only been 4 days while on subutex and i want and need to get off of them ASAP i need your help the doctor made a terrible mistake he said that subutex will put me in a mood where i can come off ambien and clonazepam and make me the successful person i was, but just yesterday i went to an emergency clinic since this pill brought me constipation which led to hemmoriades - the worst pain ive ever had in my life and the gave me a shot of VOLTAREN now i need your help i realize the doctor was not thinking at all and i want off this pill ASAP will i get intense withdrawal after 4 days of being on it? i might need to go on oxycontin for one day for hemmeroids and lower back pain but after that its straight coming back to my addiction ambien, it used to be imovane but thats all im addicted to and need how do i get of those too and become stress free? well first thing is first i need to get off this subutex pill and im begging for your help
    Last edited by ddcmod; 07-28-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Anonymous Guest

POST FROM ROBERT IN 2008

I know that everyone is different. I just feel I should share my experience as it may help someone else starting, getting ready to start or wanting to know how to take Suboxone successfully and then stop. Let me say that for those of you that have been on Suboxone for an extended period of time, like many months, this probably won't help you and I would recommend a slow taper as most everyone else does. But if you are like me, I did not want to stay on any drug for a long time, and Suboxone is a drug. Not wanting to do another drug is why I went into rehab to start with.

I detoxed from OC and other drugs years ago ... was taking 25 30mg Roxicodone a day plus Somas,Xanax, Remeron, a bunch of garbage drugs .. just like so many of us. I relapsed due to ongoing pain from serious injuries and health problems. This time around I was taking 40 Lorcets a day,(400mg of hydrocodone daily) plus probably 25 Somas and loads of Xanax and Klonopin. I was a zombie. I was in ambulances 4 times the last week alone before admitting myself into detox again. I was on the verge of death no doubt. This had gone on for several years. I have had my heart stop and nearly died numerous times. I only share this to make the following point.

I logged on to this site and saw nearly everyone taking 12, 16, 24mg and more of Suboxone a day. After all the drugs I had taken for so many years, going back almost 40 years ago in high school, I started on only 12mg the first few days and then dropped to 8mg with no problem. I don't understand why everyone needs so much Suboxone. Surely everyone is not taking that many more RX pills than I was taking. I would recommend that you do not take more than 12mg a day if possible to start, but reduce it as quickly as possible if you want to get off.

I am convinced the key to using Suboxone successfully is to realize it should be used to stop the W/Ds from opiates... whatever opiates we are on. That is what I understood it to be for. My psychiatrist wants me to stay on it indefinitely, but I think he doesn't want to lose a patient. Drs are like any other business, they need customers. My receptors were just as fried as anyone elses. I did not have to do Suboxone for a year so I could heal from the damage I had done to myself. Maybe others were doing 100 Lorcets a day and I was a wimp. I don't think so.

I knew I would suffer W/Ds for probably close to a month as many RX drugs that I was taking. I took my Sub faithfully for about 3 weeks and decided it was time to change. I did not have to do a slow taper, no horrendous night sweats, no puking, no nothing. I had an upset stomach one day. I went for about one week skipping doses, then skipping days. Last Thursday I took only 4mg, Friday had a stomach ache and took maybe 2mg at the most, and have taken nothing since. I have had no W/Ds whatsoever. Nothing. I am convinced that the people who have quit Suboxone successfully have not stuck around to share their experiences, but have gone on with their lives. Not everyone has a difficult time with Suboxone. We only hear from the people who are struggling.

I was actually upset when I realized what my dr had given me in rehab, that I was still going to have to go through W/Ds according to all that I read here. Well it just isn't so. I have had 5 knee operations (played competitive racquetball and ran cross country for over 20 years), have degenerative disc disease, congenital scoliosis, Rheumatoid Arthritis and Raynaud's Phenomenon. I am always in some pain. But the whole key to using Suboxone is to realize what it is actually for. It is not going to replace OC or hydros or other pain meds. It is designed to help us get off of those drugs. Why try to replace our habits with another drug? Granted, Suboxone is better than OC or >>>>>>. I have no doubt of that. But we don't have to continue to use it indefinitely. It is mind over matter.

There are exceptions to every rule. I am sure there are people who for whatever reason have to take Suboxone for an extended period of time ... like maybe for getting off >>>>>> or methadone or something. I don't know. I just know for a fact that if you are an RX junkie like me, it isn't necessary. Don't listen to the garbage that is put on you that you have to take Suboxone for many many months and then taper off after you have spent thousands of dollars on scripts and you are still addicted to something. I think Suboxone is great. I am not against it at all. It saved me from another miserable time in rehab. It just needs to be used as it was intended. Then you can stop with relatively no problems whatsoever.

Good luck and I hope this helps someone. You can see daily posts of what was happening with me and some others during the time on Suboxone under the thread titled Suboxin started by Allyopp in Featured Conditions.

Last edited by Robert_325; 04-16-2008 at 05:26 AM. Reason: spelling

THIS POST POPPED UP FROM HISTORY AND I WAS LIKE ''WTF'''' THATS NOT THE VERSION I HEARD.

interesting post on the differences in how you did it. and how you wrote the taper plan. you logged on to this site in 2007 and started on 12mg. ? man things have sure changed eh... and jumped off 2mg. ???

and no skipping days. ? whats up with all this. ?

odd to see this post really.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-29-2012 at 12:21 AM.

spinningmonkey is offline New Member

Default helppppp!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysod View Post
    POST FROM ROBERT IN 2008

Last edited by Robert_325; 04-16-2008 at 05:26 AM. Reason: spelling

THIS POST POPPED UP FROM HISTORY AND I WAS LIKE ''WTF'''' THATS NOT THE VERSION I HEARD.

interesting post on the differences in how you did it. and how you wrote the taper plan. you logged on to this site in 2007 and started on 12mg. ? man things have sure changed eh... and jumped off 2mg. ???

and no skipping days. ? whats up with all this. ?

odd to see this post really.

hi, this is my first post. hence why its like this, dont know how this site works. i have a problem with my tapering wondering if someone can help me. i want off subs, trying to taper but its hard because my doctor wont give me the meds i have tgo get them at the pharmacy and take them in front of the pharmacist but i manage to sneak out my pill and only take fragments of it. i wait until withdrawals are really bad before i redose and i dont go more than 1 mg a day. i take less than that >> say. but its still uncomfortable and my parents threw me out so im staying with my girlfriend and she pays for my pill everyday. i need to do this quick because i need to travel and get back to my occupations. suggesstions any are taken

max

spinningmonkey is offline New Member

and my doctor told me pills couldnt be split in canada because there are very strict rules on the medication

iloerose is online now Platinum Member

Spinningmonkey: Go to the need to talk or suboxone forum and post there. Use the thread information tab and start your own thread. Seriously, someone there will be able to help you.

Peace,

Iloerose