Suboxone question???
    jamie11 is offline New Member

Default Suboxone question???

Does anybody know how long it takes to get sub completely out of your system? Like when can i take a pain pill and be able to feel the effects of it?

BSGjunkie is offline Member

If you have access to Sub, do yourself a favor and stay on it. Don't get back onto the pills.

The only reason I post this is because I feel its not a bad thing to be informed. Its just a bad thing to use your information in a negative way.

The Naltroxone within the Suboxone is what many attribute to killing the Narcotics effect. The amount of Naltroxone in Suboxone is minimal. It was introduced so users couldn't abuse it through IV. You can take pills at any point to get high, but it wont have much effect. The compound of Suboxone won't allow you to get very high as it attaches to the receptors faster and stronger.

The suboxone will lose its effect near the 36 hour mark.

Please just take my word for it and flush the pills down the toliet.

Junkie

jamie11 is offline New Member

First of all i dont have any pills to flusg down the toilet!! I have just always heard that it takes a long time to get a buzz after being on sub. I wanted to know how long just out of curiosity. I think it is longer than 36hrs. I have heard like maybe 7 days from your last dose.

BSGjunkie is offline Member

I'm not a doctor nor am I certified in any way, but through my research I've found:

Buprenorphine has a half life of 36 hours, while Naltroxone has a half life of only a little over 1 hour. The Naltroxone will be useless in a matter of hours.

Buprenorphine does create a opioid agonist ceiling effect between 8-16mg of suboxone. They claim the agonist adjective rating is similar for 8mg to 32mg doses - Therefore there is a ceiling, or limit to its effectiveness.... This limit may over run and over power other opioids which enter the system, but I'm unsure of that. I haven't tried to use any pain killers while on sub so I can't give first hand experience. If people are claiming they pain killers aren't as effective for a few days, it could be from this ceiling effect.

What I do know is:
    The amount of naltroxone found in suboxone is minimal and there to prevent IV use. It will be out of your system in a matter of hours, not days.

Buprenorphine will stay in your system a lot longer. The original studies showed that the agonist adjective rating didn't decrease significatly until late between the 36th and 48th hour. I also remember reading traces of buprenorphine are found in your urine and feces up to 11 days later.

I don't think I can completely answer your question, but if it was my guess, you should be able to see full effects after the 48th hour when the agonist rating has decreased.

Junkie

HicksvilleNY is offline Member

at least 6 days and counting

was on 20 mg of sub a day

comming off for surgery in 2 weeks.

what would my half life be after 6 full days if it was 32 on the first day?

sisterwin2 is offline Senior Member

Of course every one is slighty different..... I believe 6=7 days and sub will be out of your system...... gives you another week before your surgery...

drsatine is offline New Member

Default suboxone to opiates

I have been on Suboxone 12 mg for over a year for chronic pain (I know, not the usual function of this med).

I am not a physician.

I am being switched from Suboxone to Norco for my pain. I have almost immediate withdrawal effects, even from buphren.

How many days do I wait before Norco will replace the Suboxone and be pain effective? (The pain has already returned and I'm starting Sub withdrawals.)

thanks
    Last edited by drsatine; 07-03-2009 at 05:18 PM.

at 12mg a day I would give it a good week at least and its going to take more than normal(norco)for it to work so be careful...if it works at all ...just my 2 cents...

the worst of it for me was days4,5,6,7, hang in there and let us know.....

sorry to bring bad news but as you can see i have been there a couple times its not an easy thing to do,,good luck and be safe
    Last edited by HicksvilleNY; 07-03-2009 at 05:24 PM.

Default suboxone to norco (2)

Ok, thanks.

You mean I'll need a stronger dose of Norco than prescribed at first?

My pain doc said to start Norco as soon as I felt symptomatic, which for me would be less than a week.
    I've tried to taper sub in the past and go into full buphren withdrawal within 2-3 days.

None of this is fun, is it?

no its not fun,,, it sucks...

and from what i understand the sub raises your tolerances so high that you need more of an opiate for it to work at all at first...

let me know how you make out cuae I'm at the same level and am ready to jump off with the help of vics.....

Default sub to norco (3)

I'm already drug sick after 24 hours. My sub doc said never stop it abruptly but my pain doc said to do this.

I'm almost tempted to take another dose of sub just to get through the holiday.

I guess I'm overly sensitive to opiates. I seem to have more trouble with them than a lot of people.

I did like being on naltrexone. It repaired my opiate receptors and improved my mood, helped with pain (before my accident) and stopped secondary wdrawal. But I also have surgeries scheduled so can't do it right now.

bev49 is offline Banned

Default fear

This is my biggest fear. I'm different from alot of people here. I am 60 years old (in 2 weeks) and have been opiate addicted since I'm 16 years old pretty much without a break. I was a >>>>>> addict way back in the '60s and 70's, got on a methadone program in 1975 and pretty much just stayed with that until a year ago. I was down to 25 mgs. of methadone and switched to suboxone last July, 16 mgs. a day. It was an easy and seemless switch and it made me very happy to be done with going to a clinic with all the stigma attached to that. I have taken myself down to 1 mg. a day, 1/2 of a 2 mgs. tab once a day. Well, I have many health problems, have had 3 major surgeries in the past and now I am in terrible fear of what will happen if I did need pain management. I do NOT want to get high and havent for many many years (the meth just made me normal). Why I stayed on methadone so long is anyone's guess but I feel I f'd up my life. They found a lesion on a lung. If it's cancer I will be so screwed if I need pain med. If I ever need surgery of any kind I will be so screwed. Doc says if I needed surgery and/or pain med I would just stop the sub first.... Thats a laugh.. How would I do that I wonder? Just venting.

Quote Originally Posted by bev49 View Post
    This is my biggest fear. I'm different from alot of people here. I am 60 years old (in 2 weeks) and have been opiate addicted since I'm 16 years old pretty much without a break. I was a >>>>>> addict way back in the '60s and 70's, got on a methadone program in 1975 and pretty much just stayed with that until a year ago. I was down to 25 mgs. of methadone and switched to suboxone last July, 16 mgs. a day. It was an easy and seemless switch and it made me very happy to be done with going to a clinic with all the stigma attached to that. I have taken myself down to 1 mg. a day, 1/2 of a 2 mgs. tab once a day. Well, I have many health problems, have had 3 major surgeries in the past and now I am in terrible fear of what will happen if I did need pain management. I do NOT want to get high and havent for many many years (the meth just made me normal). Why I stayed on methadone so long is anyone's guess but I feel I f'd up my life. They found a lesion on a lung. If it's cancer I will be so screwed if I need pain med. If I ever need surgery of any kind I will be so screwed. Doc says if I needed surgery and/or pain med I would just stop the sub first.... Thats a laugh.. How would I do that I wonder? Just venting.

well first let me say WELL DONE!!!!,, you have come a long way my friend... I do not envy you, bt share your fears. I too wonder the same things and I need to get off this crao sub asap and thaats the reason why,,,, I think you will be ok when you get off the sub ... you are so low now why not jump off it now?

aftr thinking about my last post I'm getting off this stuff fast and now

Robert if you are there I'm ready

bev49 is offline Banned

To Hicksville... I'm in NY too, in fact very close to you. I live in Floral Park, was on LIJ Methadone Program and my sub doc is in New Hyde Park. We are neighbors.... Why don't I get off the sub now, you ask? FEAR, plain and simple. Fear of withdrawal. Fear of wanting/needing opiates in my system, fear of ending up like Michael Jackson or whoever. I have a very low tolerance to pain and always have. I am a baby and a wimp and don't know how I could ever stand withdrawal at 60 years old after 40 something years on opiates. Bad reason but its the truth

bev49 is offline Banned

hickville, my sister lives in plainview so you're her neighbor too... Had a sub doctor on Old Country Road, a Dr. Amico... very good guy for anyone from that area.

bev49 is offline Banned

Default Robert - HELP

Robert, I was just sitting here thinking about what Hickville said... I am wondering for the first time ever - Do you think I could get off the sub? You know my history, you know my fears. But I did bring myself down to 1 mg. a day. Bear in mind the 40 year history. Do you think it would be possible and if so, how would I, specifically, go about it? Thanks in advance....

Anonymous Guest

HI All
    Hey Robert has not been able to get on line today and he is on his way to Houston right now and his plane wont get in till late, but I'm sure he will be on line tomorrow...
    Talk to you all later, Melinda

Robert, I was just sitting here thinking about what Hickville said... I am wondering for the first time ever - Do you think I could get off the sub? You know my history, you know my fears. But I did bring myself down to 1 mg. a day. Bear in mind the 40 year history. Do you think it would be possible and if so, how would I, specifically, go about it? Thanks in advance....
    of course you can ... its never to late,, just think aout how nice it would be to be finally free...

bev49 is offline Banned

hickville, may i ask how long you've been on sub? what dose? what were you on prior and how long? You have made me think.... I'd love to be free of it all... Sometimes I think after so many years opiates are part of my physical makeup already, part of my blood and bone nad skin.... I'm afraid my natural receptors are destroyed and it's impossible. Suddenly I'm just dreaming it could be possible. You put it in my head..... Thanks bethpage neighbor....

hickville, may i ask how long you've been on sub? what dose? what were you on prior and how long? You have made me think.... I'd love to be free of it all... Sometimes I think after so many years opiates are part of my physical makeup already, part of my blood and bone nad skin.... I'm afraid my natural receptors are destroyed and it's impossible. Suddenly I'm just dreaming it could be possible. You put it in my head..... Thanks bethpage neighbor....
    well,,, sub for 1 1/2 years before that hydros for 3-4 years

I thought over time your body would start to make its own dopamine again...

this is a sore subject with me as I feel i was kind of just put on this stuff only because I had mentioned I had a problem stopping the hydros which were for my pain. I think now it would of been better to try harder to get off the vics first.

intelmetal is offline Senior Member

Default HicksvilleNY

You are correct, it would have been easier to taper off the hydro. But that is history, so you must move on and try and taper off the subs. I am. Good Luck !
    IWANTOUT

to live my life and to be free !

i have gotten down to 8 a day from 24 a day in 8 months so my next step is 4 a day, gonna start today,,
    after that i will just take a small piece if i need it till i don't

Default HicksvilleNY

I would try 6 a day for a couple of days, then 4 a day - 3 a day- 2 a day- 1 a day- half a day then C/T. Stay at each dose approx. 3-4 days if possible. After your last dose, try 1000mgs L-tyrosine for about a week or 2 to help your mood. It is not addictive and can be found at GNC or any health food store. Also eat a banana a day for 1 month and get some cardio workout in the a.m., that alone will do wonders. I also use emergen-C powdered drink mix, it has lots of vitamins and minerals that are essential to your recovery. Try the cranberry or tropical fruit flavors, they are the best. Hope you feel better !
    IWANTOUT

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HicksvilleNY View Post
    aftr thinking about my last post I'm getting off this stuff fast and now

Robert if you are there I'm ready
    Hi Hicksville
    Robert is out of town right now but I just talked to him and he said he will be on line today so he can help you.
    Talk to you soon happy 4th to you...
    Talk to you soon, Melinda

Default HicksvilleNY

I'm sorry, I thought you were trying to taper off of vics. Please disregard my taper plan in my previous post. I will go back and read from the beginning.
    IWANTOUT

I appreciate all the wisdom. Thanks.

Anonymous Guest

Hi All
    I just wanted everyone to know Robert was busy with business and was not able to get on the forum today and he will try to get on tomorrow...
    Talk to you all later, Melinda