Suboxone and Klonopin
    kevin9494 is offline Member

Default Suboxone and Klonopin

I have been a suboxone patient since 12-01-06. I take 16 mgs daily, 1 8mg in the morning and 1 8mg in the evening. My doctor recently put me on 1mg of Klonopin to be taken 2 times daily. My question is does suboxone block the effects of benzos as well as opiates. It seems like the Klonopin is doing nothing for me. I am afraid to take "extra" pills in fear of something happening in conjunction with the suboxone. Anyone who can help please post or email me at: snoclaf94@msn.com
    Thank You. Kevin.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Suboxone does not block the effects of benzodiazepines.Go back to your doctor and explain to him\her whats going on before you increase your dose.Opiates and benzodiazepines can be very dangerous when mixed as they both slow down the respitory system.You've likely heard of Anna Nicole's son dying of an opiate\anti-depressant od.The same thing can happen when you take to much klonopin with suboxone.So talk to your doc first.Good luck.....Dave

Rastopop is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by kevin9494 View Post
    I have been a suboxone patient since 12-01-06. I take 16 mgs daily, 1 8mg in the morning and 1 8mg in the evening.
    I know you were wondering about the Klonopin, but I'd be interested first to know why you've been on 16mg/day for four months.

While some people choose to be on bupe for extended periods, and while some *should* be on it for an extended period, you should have been tapering this whole time. Four months at a dose that high (which isn't by any means the largest dose of bupe you could be on, but high all the same) it just... odd.

Even if you plan on remaining on bupe (for whatever reason), you should still be able to taper off to a very low dose. That's pretty much what bupe is for.

It's not unreasonable to take a couple mg off each week. Some people need to go more slowly, while others have no problem moving much faster, but that's a decent rate that could be maintained comfortably.

The reason I bring this up is that there's something strange going on Out There right now. I've been to several doctors about bupe, and each seems to have his own opinion about what's right. Some advocate short-term use (these people don't seem to know anything about PAWS), while others think it should be months to years.

The one thing any decent doctor should be doing is tapering you off. Especially from 16mg/day. It sounds like you weren't an IV user.

Point being, you might be getting ripped off. And, because of the way bupe works, there's rarely a *need* to go on without tapering.

Sorry to go on like that, but it drives me nuts how many docs seem to be taking advantage of patients with this stuff, or simply having no real experience to know any better. Good to share, methinks.

My doctor recently put me on 1mg of Klonopin to be taken 2 times daily. My question is does suboxone block the effects of benzos as well as opiates. It seems like the Klonopin is doing nothing for me. I am afraid to take "extra" pills in fear of something happening in conjunction with the suboxone.
    As the previous poster said: No.

Even worse, unless there's a really good reason for it, benzos shouldn't be given with bupe (or opioids in general). It's a quick and easy way to get killed.

Granted, it probably won't happen, but look at your situation - you're being given 2mg of Klonopin a day, which is actually a large amount if you haven't been on another benzo, and your feeling is that it isn't doing anything. So, what do most people do? Take more.

Whether it seems like it's doing something or not, it is. Part of the reason you might not be noticing is the 16mg/day of bupe you're on. Buprenorphine, like any other opioid, and even though it's a rather unique opioid, is still a great anxyolitic. You shouldn't even need to be on a benzo.

Why did your doc prescribe them? Were you having problems with anxiety? Is it to help you taper without much of a problem? It's important to know.

While opioids and benzos work on *very* different bits of your brain, there's still a lot going on downstream from the receptors to which these drugs bind. There's overlap - not in the immediate action of each drug, but in the results.

This is another reason your doc has me scratching my head. 16mg/day for four months, and then 2mg/day of Klonopin as well.

That's an especially bad combo. Buprenorphine has a ridiculously long half-life, and it binds very strongly to the places that matter (in terms of its ability to kill you). On its own, and at 16mg/day, it's unlikely to do anything bad on its own, but combined with another depressant, it's bad news.

Klonopin also has a really long half-life.

In other words, you're taking two CNS depressants, both of which have long half-lives and the effects of which are not easily reversed.

If the Klonopin isn't doing anything, then you should just stop taking it. If you're on bupe, then it probably means you want to live. Don't mean to scare you, but making it through treatment will be much more difficult if you're dead.

Call your doc and ask him what it is that he thinks he's doing. You deserve an explanation, as well as a plan for reducing your dose of bupe.

Yup. All very fishy...

kevin9494 is offline Member

Default tapering

I did mention to my doctor about tapering down a little bit at a time. He said that "He thinks that's a recipe for disaster due to my history to relapsing. I have relapsed 5 or 6 times, but don't most people relapse at some point. I will talk with him about this again and keep you guys posted. Thanks for the input. Kevin.

Sgt.Anger is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rastopop View Post
    I know you were wondering about the Klonopin, but I'd be interested first to know why you've been on 16mg/day for four months.

While some people choose to be on bupe for extended periods, and while some *should* be on it for an extended period, you should have been tapering this whole time. Four months at a dose that high (which isn't by any means the largest dose of bupe you could be on, but high all the same) it just... odd.

Even if you plan on remaining on bupe (for whatever reason), you should still be able to taper off to a very low dose. That's pretty much what bupe is for.

It's not unreasonable to take a couple mg off each week. Some people need to go more slowly, while others have no problem moving much faster, but that's a decent rate that could be maintained comfortably.

The reason I bring this up is that there's something strange going on Out There right now. I've been to several doctors about bupe, and each seems to have his own opinion about what's right. Some advocate short-term use (these people don't seem to know anything about PAWS), while others think it should be months to years.

The one thing any decent doctor should be doing is tapering you off. Especially from 16mg/day. It sounds like you weren't an IV user.

Point being, you might be getting ripped off. And, because of the way bupe works, there's rarely a *need* to go on without tapering.

Sorry to go on like that, but it drives me nuts how many docs seem to be taking advantage of patients with this stuff, or simply having no real experience to know any better. Good to share, methinks.

Even worse, unless there's a really good reason for it, benzos shouldn't be given with bupe (or opioids in general). It's a quick and easy way to get killed.

Granted, it probably won't happen, but look at your situation - you're being given 2mg of Klonopin a day, which is actually a large amount if you haven't been on another benzo, and your feeling is that it isn't doing anything. So, what do most people do? Take more.

Whether it seems like it's doing something or not, it is. Part of the reason you might not be noticing is the 16mg/day of bupe you're on. Buprenorphine, like any other opioid, and even though it's a rather unique opioid, is still a great anxyolitic. You shouldn't even need to be on a benzo.

Why did your doc prescribe them? Were you having problems with anxiety? Is it to help you taper without much of a problem? It's important to know.

While opioids and benzos work on *very* different bits of your brain, there's still a lot going on downstream from the receptors to which these drugs bind. There's overlap - not in the immediate action of each drug, but in the results.

This is another reason your doc has me scratching my head. 16mg/day for four months, and then 2mg/day of Klonopin as well.

That's an especially bad combo. Buprenorphine has a ridiculously long half-life, and it binds very strongly to the places that matter (in terms of its ability to kill you). On its own, and at 16mg/day, it's unlikely to do anything bad on its own, but combined with another depressant, it's bad news.

In other words, you're taking two CNS depressants, both of which have long half-lives and the effects of which are not easily reversed.

If the Klonopin isn't doing anything, then you should just stop taking it. If you're on bupe, then it probably means you want to live. Don't mean to scare you, but making it through treatment will be much more difficult if you're dead.

Call your doc and ask him what it is that he thinks he's doing. You deserve an explanation, as well as a plan for reducing your dose of bupe.

Yup. All very fishy...

Kevin,Dont listen to this guy.He has absolutely no idea of what hes talking about..If you have a history of relapsing dont think about getting off sub,think about staying on until your lifes fully together..Stay on it as long as you were on opiates..I cant tell you how many times ive detoxed a day or two later say o.k thos sucks i feel like ******************** and go use again..Listen to your doctor..1mg twice a day is a medium dose,its not big and sub is different than methadone..Benzos mixed w/methadone is alot worse/.My doctor prescribed me 10mg librium twice a day..Libriums weak,the strongest dose is 25 and alot of people are on that 3 to 4 times a day..I want 2 mg xanax 3 times a day and know i can handle cause ive done it before..I get mad at doctors that say benzos are addictive cause yes they are but ive been on paxil for 10 years and have tried getting off countlesss times but evertime i try its almost as bad as >>>>>> withdrawal..All i want is to never do >>>>>> ever again..Benzos are cheap ass hell too..For all i care >> stay on them my hole life..If i was on benzos i honestly think i wouldnt have done or even got hooked on >>>>>>..I have severe anxiety..I cant stand being around people,i feel so nervous when theres more than five people in the room its ridiculous.No one knows how you feel but you..He seems like a good doctor telling you to stay on subs..Getting off before a year is a recipe for disaster..Stay on its legal//..Do anything you have to do besides black market opiates or >>>>>>,they suck.Unfortunately i have to get my benzos off the black market,it pisses me off cause i dont want to do anything illegal but its the only thing thats keeping me from doing >>>>>>..I do 2mg xanax once or twice a day..And i feel like i did before i smoked my first ciggarette..And i can care less about what anyone thinks.I got my life,my family,my dignity and a warm home over my head..When i was using dope thats all i had..I must be doing something right..

Suboxone User is offline New Member

I am so with you the doctor is just trying to milk you because mine is doing the same thing she actually told me when I said I was ready to quit that I had a new found faith in God that I would relapse and my God would not be there to help me then, let me tell you how pissed I got I am doing my own tapper and she can kiss my ass.

vdubya420 is offline New Member

Post Hold on Bro and Push on thru

I have been a suboxone patient since 12-01-06. I take 16 mgs daily, 1 8mg in the morning and 1 8mg in the evening. My doctor recently put me on 1mg of Klonopin to be taken 2 times daily. My question is does suboxone block the effects of benzos as well as opiates. It seems like the Klonopin is doing nothing for me. I am afraid to take "extra" pills in fear of something happening in conjunction with the suboxone. Anyone who can help please post or email me at: snoclaf94@msn.com
    Thank You. Kevin.
    Bro, i have acually gone thru the same thing, but i have been taking 1 mg of Kpins .5 2 times a day, and it has not had any adverse reactions, i see a nuerologist, rhumatologist, pain mainagment dr and they are all on the same page, like they literally have conferences about me to make sure i get the best heallthcare possible, you should ask your Dr if they would do the same for you, but, as anyone with long term pain management knows that when you take op's it binds pain receptors and all your brain does is grow more receptors, so in turn when you stop taking all togethor you have a gagillion receptors, so, if you can take your Kipns for they arent as strong as say xanax and you will be fine, if you have to take more make sure you tell your dr, and only take say a half a pll more in a 24hr period. I on the other hand had this bright idea that i was going to stop taking my normal pain meds and try to detox 5 days b4 my surgery (which is in 5 days) so i tried a suboxone and that was the biggest mistake ever, i only took one, but now i have to deal with my pain for i dont know ow long before i can take my normal meds again. SO, if anyone knows the best thing to do about the mistake i made i would love to hear from you.

freeofopiate is offline New Member

Default very good advice I agree

[QUOTE=Rastopop;173127]I know you were wondering about the Klonopin, but I'd be interested first to know why you've been on 16mg/day for four months.

Yup. All very fishy...[/QUOTE
    I think my dr has me on way to much 12 mg sub , zoloft for ptsd/anxiery /depression, trazadone, adderall, seems like I don't have controle of my own mind