Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Robert_325
Suboxone Dosage
    AmyBreeze is offline Member

Default Suboxone Dosage

Hello everyone.

Morticia, thank you for the well wishes.

I have a question. I have been on Suboxone since 10/24. My dosage is 2MGs 4 X's a day for a total of 8MGs a day. Some days this works well, other days it doesn't. I also take Clonodine, for withdrawl, but only at night for it makes me very sleep. For the spasms I get, mostly in my legs, I take Methocarbamol. ANYWAY, I go back to the doctor for my 1st check up since I first went (He & I have been in contact a lot on the phone, he checks on me a lot) but anyway, I am thinking of asking him to increase my Sub. Has anyone done this?

He told me if I needed to, to take one when I wake up during the night because I would find I was so depressed in the morning, crying etc. But now I'm finding I'd like at least two more (4mgs) during the day. But then I worry I'll get too used to it and it'll be harder to get off that I need to adjust now to what I am on.

When I go Wednesday, I have to take my meds. I guess they count to make sure you're not over taking. I just hope he remembers telling me to take one during the night! *LOL*

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone ever increased their dose after being on it almost a month.

By, the way, he says I'll need to be on it 6-9 months. I am going to talk to him about that on Wednesday.

Thanks for any info.

Amy

oxymoron is offline New Member

Breeze-
    I started at a dosage of 16mg a day (they make an 8 mg pill) and only after sufficient time with the therapist (weekly visits) was I told to start tapering off. There are several schools of thought on this ie: fast tapers lasting 1 week all the way to long tapers and in fact long term maintenance dosing for people who are at higher risk of relapse. Tell the doc you're still not comfortable because that's the goal and maybe he can suggest 12mg per day...Good Luck

quote:Originally posted by oxymoron

Breeze-
    I started at a dosage of 16mg a day (they make an 8 mg pill) and only after sufficient time with the therapist (weekly visits) was I told to start tapering off. There are several schools of thought on this ie: fast tapers lasting 1 week all the way to long tapers and in fact long term maintenance dosing for people who are at higher risk of relapse. Tell the doc you're still not comfortable because that's the goal and maybe he can suggest 12mg per day...Good Luck
    Oxy, thank you for the advice. I will for sure talk to my doctor tomorrow and see what the plan is. I just really think the 8MG's a day is not enough. I will post tomorrow and give an update.

Thank you for caring enough to respond. Even after almost a month, I'm still so unsure of this stuff. I'm also scared of the tapering, and pray it's done right. I don't want the hell of being on those vikes again. I want to live my life and right now I am finally starting to see the old me returning...the one before I started using the pills and I like what I am seeing. That's what keeps me motivated. Luckily it never got bad where I lost a job, or hurt family or friends......I am lucky in many ways.

ANYWAY, I always get WAY off course.

Thank you again Oxy. [)]

Amy

LISA GIRL is offline Member

Hey Amy.. Just curious what makes you think you need more sub? I remember thinking that at one time too and I think in reality I was taking too much. I was also taking 4 x 2 mg per day. My doctor keeps trying to get me to take more and I don't understand why.. I feel better the less I take.. I have read that less is more with this drug... hardest part of me is just the habit of popping pills whatever they are.. I am currently taking between 4 and 6 mg now per day. Because of the half life of this stuff it's really hard to tell if you are feeling better or worse on more or less. I just know the more you are on the harder it will to get off (as of course you already know) so unless you really need it, you probably want to stay at a lower dose. I have been thru w/d before (not sub but painkiller) and it is zero fun.

Also didn't you say you had gastric bi pass? I have a friend who is having it done in December and is very nervous. Are you happy with it? Would you do it again? Did you have any complications? I think sometimes how nice that would, be but I just love food too much to ever think about not be able to eat a big Thanksgiving meal! Anyway any insight into it for my friend would be appreciated. You can read all you want on that stuff, but nothing makes up for advice and insight of people who have been thru it. Thanks bunches!

quote:Originally posted by LISA GIRL

Hey Amy.. Just curious what makes you think you need more sub? I remember thinking that at one time too and I think in reality I was taking too much. I was also taking 4 x 2 mg per day. My doctor keeps trying to get me to take more and I don't understand why.. I feel better the less I take.. I have read that less is more with this drug... hardest part of me is just the habit of popping pills whatever they are.. I am currently taking between 4 and 6 mg now per day. Because of the half life of this stuff it's really hard to tell if you are feeling better or worse on more or less. I just know the more you are on the harder it will to get off (as of course you already know) so unless you really need it, you probably want to stay at a lower dose. I have been thru w/d before (not sub but painkiller) and it is zero fun.

Also didn't you say you had gastric bi pass? I have a friend who is having it done in December and is very nervous. Are you happy with it? Would you do it again? Did you have any complications? I think sometimes how nice that would, be but I just love food too much to ever think about not be able to eat a big Thanksgiving meal! Anyway any insight into it for my friend would be appreciated. You can read all you want on that stuff, but nothing makes up for advice and insight of people who have been thru it. Thanks bunches!
    Lisa, LOTS to say on the by-pass, but I have to get to work. This evening I will sit and write.

As for the sub, I just feel I get too many cravings and too depressed....like I did trying to go cold turkey, so maybe I need more? Will post about that tonight too. I see the doctor today at 11:00

Have a GREAT day! And I will answer your questions about the bypass tonight, I promise.

Amy

Thanks Amy... would appreciate it!!! Maybe there are other things you could take.. opiate free... rather than upping your sub dosage.. I guess I have such a love/hate relationship with the sub I am wary of anyone increasing their dosage but it might be right for you...
    Will look forward to your post on the gb. I know my friend is a little scared about it and wondering if it is the right thing to do but she definitely needs to lose weight... it is affecting her health in many ways...

Went to the doctor today. He did not increase my suboxone, and I am satisfied with his reasoning, so I guess that’s what matters. Also, found out that it’s not going to end up being as expensive as I thought, so that was good. He did put me on Remeron Soltab (because of my gastric-bypass the tab is better) for the anxiety and depression I am having. Although, he said at this stage, that it is normal. He was proud of the Na meetings, so now I have to find a sponsor and finish working on the 12 steps. I had one lady at the meeting I go to on Thursday offer to be mine. We’ll see. That is my favorite meeting because it’s only women. No offense to the men, I just enjoy that one best.

Lisa, as for the by-pass, I had it almost seven years ago and have mixed feelings. I lost a lot of weight. I weighed 220 pounds and now weigh 138 and feel great in clothes, but let me tell you, unless the person has money for the plastic surgery needed, (breast lift, tummy tuck, etc) they should be prepared to still not look that hot without clothes. There are cons. It’s hard to absorb vitamins, meds, etc. Most everything I take is sublingual. It’s a mixed bag. For every good thing, I could name a bad thing. Would I do it again, no. But that’s for my own personal reasons. It was good for me in the way I look and my health, but mentally, it’s hard. You still have the heavy mentality. Also, me personally, I associate a lot of sad things that happened in my life, divorce, etc. to my by pass. LONG STORY. I’m sure she’ll do well, and health wise will be the best thing for her. I had mine full surgery, not laproscopically (sp?) not sure how she’s doing it. And I was lucky that insurance paid for it all because of health issues and the fact that I had documented everything I tried to lose weight. Also, you can still gain the weight back so you have to be careful. Tell her not to be nervous. She love how fast the weight drops and before she know it, she’ll be smaller than she ever thought possible. Lots of broth at first and soft food, but she’ll do well.
    That where the mental part comes in. Your mind still wants that steak, salad, whatever but you can’t eat it. The best part is she’ll be a cheap date. I eat kids meals and barely can eat that. She’ll love it I’m sure. Tell her to just relax and get ready for the new person she’s going to become!!

Oh, I didn't have any complications.

Amy

Amy.. Thanks so much for the info! I will pass it along.. 220 isn't THAT big unless you are real short is it? .. I mean, it's big..but not what I think of as gastric by pass kind of big anyway... I thought you had to be 100 lbs overweight or so.. maybe not..

Curious on your doctor's logic to not raise your sub dose. You should be glad you have a doctor who is active in your program. Mine is the antithesis of involved. He just writes me a script and sends me on his way. I have been on sub about 6 weeks and have talked to him twice. I am doing my program vicariously thru NYMOMMY's doctor... we talk every night so she shares what she learns and I am trying to learn from her doc who is also very good. Glad it's not going to cost you what you thought!

Thanks again for your info..very much appreciated.

Amy.. Thanks so much for the info! I will pass it along.. 220 isn't THAT big unless you are real short is it? .. I mean, it's big..but not what I think of as gastric by pass kind of big anyway... I thought you had to be 100 lbs overweight or so.. maybe not..

Curious on your doctor's logic to not raise your sub dose. You should be glad you have a doctor who is active in your program. Mine is the antithesis of involved. He just writes me a script and sends me on his way. I have been on sub about 6 weeks and have talked to him twice. I am doing my program vicariously thru NYMOMMY's doctor... we talk every night so she shares what she learns and I am trying to learn from her doc who is also very good. Glad it's not going to cost you what you thought!

Thanks again for your info..very much appreciated.

I barely made the BMI point for the surgery. I am only 5'1" tall. I was just barely over 100 pounds over weight which is the requirement.

Yes, my doctor is very involved. I go every two weeks and after the 27th, I'll go monthly but I have his cell number and as he said he only has 30 patients and I pay for his time. So I can call anytime and he is GREAT about calling back if I don't get him.

I've been going to NA but starting to wonder if it's really effective. I keep a detailed journal and I have to especially now that he wants me to really get involved with a sponsor, and someone has offered, but we'll see. I'm not knocking NA. But I haven't gotten much from it personally....I'll give it a little more time.

Gotta go. Have a GREAT day!

Amy[:I]

I know some people who LOVE NA/AA and take a lot out of it... others that do not. I personally have never been so can't speak to it. I bet it would be particularly valuable when you are coming off the suboxone. That is when you really need the support.

Last night I found I had left my sub pills at work and panicked.. just like I used to do if I was running low on percocet. I found a few crumbled halves and took those. I think I am still somewhat in the pill taking mindset but it has gotten much better. Then I did the weirdest thing... went to my closest where I still have the remaining perks I have, took em out and counted them. There were 22 and 1 lortab. I was not tempted. I just wanted to look at them. Maybe a test for myself. All I could think of is that those pills cost me $180 and still can't bring myself to get rid of them.

Some people feel better if they have no pills in the house. I feel better having them even if I have no intention to take them. It's like if I choose to have them, I can. That way I don't panic..kind of always obsessing about things you don't have... this way it is my choice to stay clean. I am not not taking them only b/c I don't have them. Does that make sense? I know some people think it is plain stupid to keep them and maybe it is.

I have thought about the perks....almost every day... but have never really come close to taking one. But if I had to bet, I feel that I will one day succomb to that temptation... It may be 10 years from now but I hardly feel "safe." I wonder if we ever feel safe.

But it's time to get to the office. Those are the easiest hours of the day... when I am occupied at work there are no thoughts of painkillers! You have a great day too!

I know some people who LOVE NA/AA and take a lot out of it... others that do not. I personally have never been so can't speak to it. I bet it would be particularly valuable when you are coming off the suboxone. That is when you really need the support.

Last night I found I had left my sub pills at work and panicked.. just like I used to do if I was running low on percocet. I found a few crumbled halves and took those. I think I am still somewhat in the pill taking mindset but it has gotten much better. Then I did the weirdest thing... went to my closest where I still have the remaining perks I have, took em out and counted them. There were 22 and 1 lortab. I was not tempted. I just wanted to look at them. Maybe a test for myself. All I could think of is that those pills cost me $180 and still can't bring myself to get rid of them.

Some people feel better if they have no pills in the house. I feel better having them even if I have no intention to take them. It's like if I choose to have them, I can. That way I don't panic..kind of always obsessing about things you don't have... this way it is my choice to stay clean. I am not not taking them only b/c I don't have them. Does that make sense? I know some people think it is plain stupid to keep them and maybe it is.

I have thought about the perks....almost every day... but have never really come close to taking one. But if I had to bet, I feel that I will one day succomb to that temptation... It may be 10 years from now but I hardly feel "safe." I wonder if we ever feel safe.

But it's time to get to the office. Those are the easiest hours of the day... when I am occupied at work there are no thoughts of painkillers! You have a great day too!
    Lisa, that is GREAT!!!!! I don't know if I could have done that. I have around 100 Vikes that I keep under lock and key and hubby keeps the key. He's out of town a lot and I would be too tempted at this point. Still not at the stage you are. I know they wouldn't do anything with the sub in my system, but i'd still take them, I just know it. Hopefully, soon I'll be able to not even think about it.

Glad you were able to find a little sub last night....I can imagine the panic.

Take care.

Amy

P.S. Thanks for all the info and help!!!

Yeah.. i have thought about it. if I ever did go back on.. not that I am planning to.. (who plans to?) but I guess I would have to take them simultaneously til the sub wore off and the pain pills took effect.

Hey what happens if something really tragic happens and we are on sub? How do they block the pain if the sub overides the painkillers? I know we are supposed to carry something that shows we are on suboxone but I don't.

Your doctor gives you better info! Do you know?

Also today was thinking. (I think of weird stuff lately) When I go to my doc, perhaps I should not tell him I am down to 4 mg per day.. just continue to go in and get scrips... fill them..stockpile.. that way if I ever do stray I have the remedy for the NEXT time I want to quit without the hassle of finding a prescribing doctor.

I know I sound like I am on the verge of relapse but be assured I am not. I'm just a planner with an overactive mind.

Have a great night Amy. Did/does your hubby ever use painkillers?

BobaFett49 is offline New Member

Suboxone can make you feel great when you're going thru detox; there are 2 strengths of it...you might wanna ask your MD about upping your dose to the 8mg tabs. Suboxone is a combination of Buprenorphine HCL and Naloxone; Buprenorphine is the active ingredient...it bonds to your mu-opiate recepters just like other opiates do. Naloxone is an extra that lowers the addiction potential of Suboxone. There is also a drug called Subutex, which is Buprenorphine HCL by itself. I'd say just talk to your doctor, and be completely honest and open, and talk to him about EVERY small detail dealing with how you feel, that way he can get a better idea of what you are going thru.

Yeah.. i have thought about it. if I ever did go back on.. not that I am planning to.. (who plans to?) but I guess I would have to take them simultaneously til the sub wore off and the pain pills took effect.

Hey what happens if something really tragic happens and we are on sub? How do they block the pain if the sub overides the painkillers? I know we are supposed to carry something that shows we are on suboxone but I don't.

Also today was thinking. (I think of weird stuff lately) When I go to my doc, perhaps I should not tell him I am down to 4 mg per day.. just continue to go in and get scrips... fill them..stockpile.. that way if I ever do stray I have the remedy for the NEXT time I want to quit without the hassle of finding a prescribing doctor.

I know I sound like I am on the verge of relapse but be assured I am not. I'm just a planner with an overactive mind.

Wow! Great question about what happens if you really get hurt. From what my doctor says, sub is in your system for 36 hours. I'll have to ask him on the 27th when I go about that. I'll let you know what he say.

As for stockpling, you know that may not be a bad thing to do. JUST INCASE. You never know what life is going to throw at you. But I really think that's a great idea Lisa.

As for hubby, no. He's never been on any drugs of any kind. Neither of us drink, smoke, and I have never used or tried anything in my 38 years other than the vikes that I got hooked on. I've had a drink or two in my life, but that's it. My doctor said that is typical with my personality. Anything else scares the hell out of me. I could never do anything else and I was always too scared to buy them on the net or on the street. Yes, I am very straight laced, as is hubby. When he had bad kidnet stones it was all I could do to even get him to take HALF of a vicodin.

Take care and have a great day!!!!

Amy [)]

quote:Originally posted by BobaFett49

Suboxone can make you feel great when you're going thru detox; there are 2 strengths of it...you might wanna ask your MD about upping your dose to the 8mg tabs. Suboxone is a combination of Buprenorphine HCL and Naloxone; Buprenorphine is the active ingredient...it bonds to your mu-opiate recepters just like other opiates do. Naloxone is an extra that lowers the addiction potential of Suboxone. There is also a drug called Subutex, which is Buprenorphine HCL by itself. I'd say just talk to your doctor, and be completely honest and open, and talk to him about EVERY small detail dealing with how you feel, that way he can get a better idea of what you are going thru.
    Bob, thank you for the info. I tried, but the doctor did not up my dose and gave me pretty good reasons. In the long run, I gues it's best. And he gives me 2MG to space it out over the day to keep it evenly in my system. But he does know everything. I am very open with him on what I am feeling, etc.

Thanks again.[8D]

Yes Amy please let me know what the doctor says. Maybe I really ought to invest in some type of >> bracelet....you just never know.... God willing neither of us will ever be in a position to need heavy duty meds, but if we are, want to make sure they are effective!!!! And if there was an accident and I was "out," I guess it would be an important thing for the doctors to know.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Anonymous Guest

Lisa, Amy...

I've been listening in now about the Sub and from what I can gather, it's a pain killer. I can't find it in my drug book though so it must be fairly new. I did find one part of the drug that the one guy mentioned and it was related to Talwin and Percodan, Rx like that. I also get the impression it helps with nerves (depression, etc) and was wondering if you could give me the brief description of that RX.

I also have a comment about the gastric by-pass surgery... I had a gastic stapling done in 1991, surgery lasted 8 hrs., cut from hip to hip, no follow up except surgery-wise, ended up with feeding tube for 8 wks at home, (hospital stay was 12 days), took meat tenderizer to help disolve any food that felt stuck in any way, lost 100 lbs, but was so sick for a year, who wouldn't. Hospitalized 3 seperate times for dehydration and had to have IV fluids for days to get built back up, looked and felt terrible. Had the Chief of Surgical Dept and Head of Surgical Students and came with best accolades for any one Dr, but he just said 'sometimes it takes time'. I saw him periodically until 1995 when I started to heave everything of any substance (still after all those years) so I had an endoscopy and he said during the test, "What the hell is that"? I made a groaning sound and he said, "You heard that"? Well soon after I was in surgery again for 11 hrs. to undo my initial surgery which is never recommended and then after cleaning up the mesh that had been unravelling for years, he re did the gastric stapling and blah, blah, blah, I now weigh just 262 lbs at last count. Anyone who tells you it's a life-changing experience, well take them at their word. It can go either way. With my luck in health, mine went by way of 'back to my ole habits' as soon as I mastered being able to ear any kind of food. Tell your friend, find that specialized surgeon, have it done laporoscopy style and join Weight Watchers anyway and give her my best.

Anyway, all the help with the new or different drug would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Robin [:I]

carrie22 is offline New Member

The braclet idea is a great one!! My boyfriend is on suboxone and he went into an opreation without telling his doctor anout nis meds. He woke up under general anestisia and tried to pull tubes out of his throught and he had to restrained by several personal. He barkey remembered what happened, but that seems crazy to me. What if the surgery was more serouis? Again I think braclets, if people would wear them, are a spectacular idea!

Robyn... WOW! That's about all I can say...Wow.. So sorry you had to go thru all that ****. I am definitely going to relay your story to my friend... Everyone is different of course but the best decision is an informed one. Thank you for the information. !

As for Subxone...the "real" name is bupesomething or other.. It is not a painkiller but it is still an opiate. It is used as a transitional drug to help people get OFF of painkillers..hydrocodone, oxycodone etc.. It helps with the cravings and physical symptoms of withdrawal.

Carrie.. That is scary as hell! Why didn't he tell his doctor? I suppose wearing a suboxone bracelet is akin to wearing an "I am a drug addict" t shirt but if it were inconpicuous enough it wouldn't be bad...and a definite must in my opinion in case you can't speak for yourself for whatever reason. Thanks for sharing your story. Makes me even more determined to get some answer from my doctor.

DianaM is offline New Member

I started by taking 8 MG a day with Suboxone and then ended up taking 24 MG a day which is 3, 8 MG pills. The doctor should put you on a dose which is comfortable for your treatment. IF your taking this medication for a treatment program then you should talk to your doctor and let him know your not getting the full effect with just 8 MG and most the time he/she will put you alittle higher to make you feel more comfortable.

I never heard of someone taking Suboxone and other medication to help stop withdrawl effects because Suboxone alone will do that for you. The Suboxone is working great for me and I do not take any other medication with it.

Talk to your doctor and let him know you maybe need to up your dosage some. It will work, I can promise you that!

Diana Morris

Thankdope is offline New Member

Default suboxone

I dont know its most likely different for me, but i havent had much luck with suboxone. I was shooting >>>>>> everyday for almost 2 years. I was on sub for almost 6 months and then i relapsed for a while on and off, then i was sober for about 1 and a half months and i relapsed again. As a matter a fact i'm sick right now waiting to get ******************** but its 8 am in the morning and i only have 25$ so i gotta pawn and scam. ********************en sucks. and i know how hard it is because i've done it so many times but im on 16mg and even when i'm on less if i shoot dope i dont feel ********************. So anything else is a waste. I'm telling you WAIT it out about 2 3 days depending on how much your on, wait till you feel sick. And good luck because i'm not having much.

marty8769 is offline New Member

Hi I have been on suboxone for about 6 or7 months now. I am prescribed one 8mg tab 3x a day. most days I only take two a day. But my Dr told me that if I ever needed to take more just let him know and her would adjust the dose so there was no withdraws what so ever and especially no cravings. If your Dr is a good one he will understand your concerns and agree to increase your dose. Good luck!!

Marty

runs2much11 is offline New Member

what is suboxone even for? one time me and my friends took some (i took about a fifth of a pill) and i ended up hospitalized and couldnt stop throwing up for 3 days. i was throwed as ********

cess is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmyBreeze View Post
    Hello everyone.

Morticia, thank you for the well wishes.

I have a question. I have been on Suboxone since 10/24. My dosage is 2MGs 4 X's a day for a total of 8MGs a day. Some days this works well, other days it doesn't. I also take Clonodine, for withdrawl, but only at night for it makes me very sleep. For the spasms I get, mostly in my legs, I take Methocarbamol. ANYWAY, I go back to the doctor for my 1st check up since I first went (He & I have been in contact a lot on the phone, he checks on me a lot) but anyway, I am thinking of asking him to increase my Sub. Has anyone done this?

He told me if I needed to, to take one when I wake up during the night because I would find I was so depressed in the morning, crying etc. But now I'm finding I'd like at least two more (4mgs) during the day. But then I worry I'll get too used to it and it'll be harder to get off that I need to adjust now to what I am on.

When I go Wednesday, I have to take my meds. I guess they count to make sure you're not over taking. I just hope he remembers telling me to take one during the night! *LOL*

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone ever increased their dose after being on it almost a month.

By, the way, he says I'll need to be on it 6-9 months. I am going to talk to him about that on Wednesday.

Thanks for any info.

Amy
    For doses requiring the use of more than two tablets, patients are advised to either place all the tablets at once or alternatively (if they cannot fit in more than two tablets comfortably) place two tablets at a time under the tongue. Either way, the patients should continue to hold the tablets under the tongue until they dissolve: swallowing the tablets reduces the bioavailability of the drug. To ensure consistency in bioavailability, patients should follow the same manner of dosing with continued use of the product.

Reducing dosage and stopping treatment

The decision to discontinue therapy with SUBOXONE or SUBUTEX after a period of maintenance or brief stabilization should be made as part of a comprehensive treatment plan. Both gradual and abrupt discontinuation have been used, but no controlled trials have been undertaken to determine the best method of dose taper at the end of treatment.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by cess View Post
    For doses requiring the use of more than two tablets, patients are advised to either place all the tablets at once or alternatively (if they cannot fit in more than two tablets comfortably) place two tablets at a time under the tongue.

cess ... If you are instructed to take more than one 8mg tablet you need to rethink your decision to use the dr you're using. For doses over two 8mg tablets you need to run away from the person telling you to do that as quickly as possible period.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 01-26-2009 at 04:50 AM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

jtn
    jtn is offline New Member

Default Suboxone

After reading these posts, I just figured I would add my 2 cents to answer a few questions about Suboxone.

Robin questioned: as to whether Suboxone is a pain killer or not.
    I've been listening in now about the Sub and from what I can gather, it's a pain killer.

LisaGirl replied:
    As for Subxone...the "real" name is bupesomething or other.. It is not a painkiller but it is still an opiate. It is used as a transitional drug to help people get OFF of painkillers..hydrocodone, oxycodone etc.. It helps with the cravings and physical symptoms of withdrawal.

Fact: Suboxone (Generic Name: buprenorphine and naloxone (byoo PREH nor feen and NAH lox own)) IS, in fact, a pain killer. It was originally to be used as a pain killer, but WITHOUT the euphoric feeling (that high that we all love so much) that opiate pain killers cause. This way, when your pain management / treatment was done, and you were to stop taking the medication you would not suffer from the horrible withdrawl symptoms. Remember, one becomes addicted to the effect of the drug first. By using Suboxone as a "transitional" drug, you are still satisfying your body with an opiate, but without the high. Therefore making it much easier to stop taking subs. If you do some research you can find sites that describe how Suboxone binds to our mu-opioid receptors differently.

Amy stated that she also takes Clonidine with Suboxone. Clonidine is helpful when you are reducing your dose of Subs and you are feeling some withdrawl-like symptoms. Even though Suboxone is supposed to be somewhat withdrawl-free, some people still have some symptoms when decreasing and/or
    stopping. Clonidine is used as an "Anti-Agitation" drug when taken in conjunction with Suboxone for opioid detox.
    She also says she takes Methocarbamol for spasms. Muscle spasms are very common when one is going through opioid detox.

Personally, I have been taking Suboxone for just over 2 years now. I started taking 32mg ( 8mg 4x ) daily. Once I started reducing my dosages, I began taking Clonidine. The Clonidine helped with the agitation and anxiety. As for the muscle spasms, I have been taking Baclofen. Baclofen is a muscle relaxer drug.
    I am now taking 2mg Suboxone every other day. I feel much better than I did when I was taking higher dosages of Subs. The only symptoms I feel when I miss a dose (my 2mg or 1/4 of a pill) is slight agitation (the tingling / restless arms) and I cant sleep due to restlessness. The only reason I am still taking the Subs, is because I still have days where I would like nothing better than a handful of pain killers. I am no longer taking the Clonidine, and I take the Baclofen when needed.

When I first started my detox. I was taking no less than 25+ pain killers every day. I was taking a combination of Vicoprofen, Percocet, and Oxycontin. Every day was started with a cup of coffee and 6 Vicoprofen. This gave me NO EFFECT or high at all. This was simply just to get me to a level 0 or normal. Two hours later, 2 Oxycontin gave me just enough of a buzz to be able to function.

The final day of my drug abuse was a typical wonderful prescription refill day. I refilled my Vicoprofens and Oxycontins. It was about a week or so before Christmas 2006. I guess I was just so into the Spirit of Christmas that I noticed that I had taken 39 pills in 1 day. My first Grandchild ( a beautiful little grand daughter) was due anytime in the next 2 weeks and I finally realized that I was destroying not only my life, but also the lives of those whom I loved the most. The thought of becoming "Grand Pop" at 46 years old was not making feel especially great, but the thought of a beautiful little baby made me decide that I wanted to stick around for a while and enjoy the benefits of being a "Grand Pop".

Now that my 2 cents have turned into a short novel, the fact is; Suboxone is, in my opinion, an absolute miracle drug and a Godsend. If you use it and don't abuse it, you will soon find yourself Drug-Free and and feeling much better. You only get 1 life. You only get 1 chance at each day of your life. Make the right decisions and enjoy seeing the world through unclouded eyes.

Good luck to each and every one of you. Remember, don't ask "God to give you the strength" to get through your tough times. He has already given you the string, its up to you to find the strength and use it.

Jim

dagon is offline New Member

Default na/12 step groups

Quote Originally Posted by LISA GIRL View Post
    I've been through NA, AA and other 12 step groups... I never found the 12
    steps that helpful overall and after seeing the expose on Penn and Tellers show "Bull********" where AA internal memos admitted only a 5% success rate I began to look elsewhere and found Smart Recovery. I hear it depends on where you live how good the meeting are... as here in Phoenix, AZ they are great but friends tell me they suck in Los Angeles.

12 Step recovery goes against most predominant cognitive behavioral psychology techniques. Smart Recovery teaches you techniques rather than just listening to others stories and working on admitting powerlessnesss when we have the power to recover if we do what works... and even AAs internal documents prove they are not that successful besides the fact that it always seemed like a cult but much less than synanon... but a cult nonetheless.

There are other groups out there... and 12 step is just one of them and it obviously doesn't work for many... me being one of them... i'm still fighting my addictions but have had much more success with the Smart Recovery programs than I ever had with AA or 12 step... 12 step did good for me initially because it helped replace my circle of friends... but other than that... learning psychological techniques to help me get over my addiction helped much more than 12 steps... which are antiquated by psychological standards.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

dagon .... What works for you is fine. But don't come here with your first post and start telling people the "way it is" and how antiquated things are. Do what you like but we'll take care of our recovery the way we see fit. We don't need you deciding what's best for anyone here.
    PhillipH likes this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

kwillison1213 is offline New Member

Default ablout stockpiling

Quote Originally Posted by LISA GIRL View Post

Hey lisa I seen your post about keep filling them and keep themjust incase,however when ur doctortest u for subs in ur system it will be too low and you could be thrown out of the program. Just thought u should know.

PhillipH is offline New Member

Default Correction RE: Naloxone component

Quote Originally Posted by BobaFett49 View Post
    Actually the Naloxone has no effect whatsoever unless the Suboxone is injected!