Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Robert_325
  • 1 Post By Robert_325
  • 1 Post By indigo415
  • 1 Post By shybaybe2003
Soma?!?!
    indigo415 is offline Member

Default Soma?!?!

Hey everyone. I am a opiate addict and I am REALLY fed up with it. I have been trying for years to stop and I am going to try again. I went to my doctor today and he prescribed me 350 mg Soma 4X a day. I want to get opinions if I should take this or just throw them away before I dig myself in a bigger hole. I read through some google articles, and read that they are not addicting but I'm not so sure I believe that. I was on Flexeril before and they did not help my pain what so ever. All they did was knock me out. Does Soma do the same thing? I can't just randomly nod off throughout the day. I have kids to take care of here. I'm also on Ambien for sleep and have been doing very well with not abusing them. To the point that I got a script for the month on April 1st and I have only taken 2 since. Any opinions, experiences, whatever is very appreciated! Thank you!

shybaybe2003 is offline Senior Member

from my personal experience as an opiate addict, alcoholic and yes current soma user, DON"T! I completely let the soma get away from me and now its out of control

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by indigo415 View Post
    Hey everyone. I am a opiate addict and I am REALLY fed up with it. I have been trying for years to stop and I am going to try again. I went to my doctor today and he prescribed me 350 mg Soma 4X a day. I want to get opinions if I should take this or just throw them away before I dig myself in a bigger hole. I read through some google articles, and read that they are not addicting but I'm not so sure I believe that. I was on Flexeril before and they did not help my pain what so ever. All they did was knock me out. Does Soma do the same thing? I can't just randomly nod off throughout the day. I have kids to take care of here. I'm also on Ambien for sleep and have been doing very well with not abusing them. To the point that I got a script for the month on April 1st and I have only taken 2 since. Any opinions, experiences, whatever is very appreciated! Thank you!

Soma is much stronger than the Flexeril in my opinion. Even if you had a real need for Soma taking 350mg four times a day would knock out most people and cause a dependency. I used to take 20-25 soma a day back in the 90s before getting clean. Opiates, soma and benzos is the "cocktail of choice" with most pillheads. I would suggest that you stay away from them, especially from four a day.

If you were experiencing extreme body aches and you took A(1) soma for a day it wouldn't be the end of the world. But that script is setting you up for problems I assure you. Don't do it. And you surely don't need to take four 350mg Soma along with ambien every day. This dr sounds confused to me. Hope that helps. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 04-25-2011 at 02:11 PM.
    Ggeo, indigo415 and GiGiLee58 like this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Soma is much stronger than the Flexeril in my opinion. Even if you had a real need for Soma taking 350mg four times a day would knock out most people and cause a dependency. I used to take 20-25 soma a day back in the 90s before getting clean. Opiates, soma and benzos is the "cocktail of choice" with most pillheads. I would suggest that you stay away from them, especially from four a day.

If you were experiencing extreme body aches and you took A(1) soma for a day it wouldn't be the end of the world. But that script is setting you up for problems I assure you. Don't do it. And you surely don't need to take four 350mg Soma along with ambien every day. This dr sounds confused to me. Hope that helps. God bless.

Thank you both for your replies!!! I ended up trying one a day after I posted this when I put the kids to bed, to see how it made me feel. It doesn't make me tired at all. Which shocked me because of how the flexeril makes me pass out and this is stronger. This does relax me and help with the pain, unlike the flexeril too.. so that is a plus. At this point, I have taken them a couple days since I got the script, and I make sure that I wait at least 6 hours in between because I am an addict, I'm being very careful with this. The most that I have taken in a day is 3. One when I get up, one in the afternoon and one at night. I haven't been taking my Ambien on the same days as these. I've only used the ambien 1 night since I made this post. I've actually not taken any soma for 3 days now either. I am on vicodin though. I don't know what my problem is. I swore to myself that I was done with these things. My friend died 6 days ago from an overdose. My mom died 7 years ago from an overdose. I hear about celebrities and others dying all of the time from pills. I watch Intervention and specials on the prescription drug epidemic when they are on. I don't want to kill myself, I feel so weak. I have never let any drug take control of me and somehow opiates have become me. It's driving me insane. I got a bottle of hydro today and took 9 right away. I don't know why I'm so scared of Soma, or Ambien, or any other pills.. except for these, when I know that these kill people and I've never heard of the others killing anyone. Well they DO scare me, but I continue chewing away like they are candy. I feel so doomed. I want to go to inpatient. I feel that it may be my only way out of this. I have no one to take care of my kids though. I was denied suboxone at the clinic. I made a post about it last summer, I'm pretty sure you commented on it Robert. They said I was "not a suboxone candidate, but I do qualify for Methadone." I said "No!" Sigh.

Oh yeah, the Soma doesn't make me feel "high" at all.

Some clinics are crazy wanting to give you methadone where you'll be on it for a very long time, if not for life, instead of you getting clean on subs. Methadone should be a "last resort" as the clinics will never try to get you off. They make a fortune off you over the years. If you are a severe chronic pain patient that is one thing but this is ridiculous.

Methadone is a great med as a last resort for serious pain management but for someone taking pills I would never suggest it personally. Tell me how I can help you. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Some clinics are crazy wanting to give you methadone where you'll be on it for a very long time, if not for life, instead of you getting clean on subs. Methadone should be a "last resort" as the clinics will never try to get you off. They make a fortune off you over the years. If you are a severe chronic pain patient that is one thing but this is ridiculous.

Methadone is a great med as a last resort for serious pain management but for someone taking pills I would never suggest it personally. Tell me how I can help you. God bless.

Yeah, I agree. I have taken it a couple times, illegally, but I can't imagine making it a daily habit. They turned me down for subs because of a benzo urine. They treated me really bad in there and everything I said was a lie. I don't take benzos. I like uppers. Opiates are an upper for me. I took 1 xanax (a month or 2 before I failed that test) and didn't like it. Never took another one, but they didn't believe me. Plus, they accused me of altering my pee, told me to buy pills off the street at the appointment before the one where I was denied, an all around horrible experience. Oh and I didn't match their qualifications for an iduction anyway. I don't get a high pulse, my nose doesn't run, I forget what else they were saying but they weren't symptoms that I get. That was another reason why I wasn't a candidate. I explained to them at the time that I am so used to physically withdrawing, that I need help to heal my mind. That I wanted it short term, 3 months max. Sadly, I haven't been able to find another sub doctor in my area, that accepts my medical assistance.

I really wish that I had a way to go to rehab for a few months. I'm thinking about getting into counseling. I have to get to the root of my problem and somehow change my life and my mindset in order to get clean. I know a lot of people think that I should be able to cold turkey a hydro addiction, myself included. I can't though. I've tried and tried again and fail miserably everytime. I need help, but I just don't know where to get it or what. Thank you for being there and caring so much about all of us that are struggling, Robert. <3 I don't know how you can help me, I don't know how to help myself.

Have you looked at the Thomas Recipe for opiate w/d? LOTS of people here have been successful with it. You DON'T HAVE to use a replacement therapy like subs or methadone.

We can deal with the soma and anything else one thing at a time. If we can get you past the opiates the rest will fall into place. Read over the Thomas Recipe that follows and think about this seriously.

You'll get lots of benefit from this approach as you don't have months to deal with but rather days. In a couple weeks you would be a new person I promise you. Here is the Thomas Recipe for you to consider. It works I promise .....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"PLEASE NOTE: I am not a doctor, simply a long-time Rx opiate junkie who has had many opportunities to develop a way to detox. This is a recipe for at-home self-detox from opiates based on my experience as well as that of many other addicts. It is not intended as professional medical advice. It is always wise to make sure none of the recipe ingredients or procedures conflict with medications you may be taking. Likewise, if you have any medical condition, disease, allergy or any other health issue, consult your doctor before using the recipe. Thanks, Thomas

THOMAS RECIPE

If you can't take time off to detox, I recommend you follow a taper regimen using your drug of choice or suitable alternate -- the slower the taper, the better.

For the Recipe, You'll need:

1. Valium (or another benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, Librium, Ativan or Xanax). Of these, Valium and Klonopin are best suited for tapering since they come in tablet form. Librium is also an excellent detox benzo, but comes in capsules, making it hard to taper the dose. Ativan or Xanax should only be used if you can't get one of the others.

2. Imodium (over the counter, any drug or grocery store).

3. L-Tyrosine (500 mg caps) from the health food store.

4. Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper, Magnesium and Potassium (you may not find the potassium in the same supplement).

5. Vitamin B6 caps.

6. Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available).

How to use the recipe:

Start the vitamin/mineral supplement right away (or the first day you can keep it down), preferably with food. Potassium early in the detox is important to help relieve RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Bananas are a good source of potassium if you can't find a supplement for it.

Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you're aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5.

During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate WD symptom.

Use the Imodium aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. Don't take it, however, if you don't need it.

At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate WD malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.

Continue to take the vitamin/mineral supplement with breakfast.

As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.

Thomas"
    GiGiLee58 likes this.

Have you looked at the Thomas Recipe for opiate w/d? LOTS of people here have been successful with it. You DON'T HAVE to use a replacement therapy like subs or methadone.

We can deal with the soma and anything else one thing at a time. If we can get you past the opiates the rest will fall into place. Read over the Thomas Recipe that follows and think about this seriously.

You'll get lots of benefit from this approach as you don't have months to deal with but rather days. In a couple weeks you would be a new person I promise you. Here is the Thomas Recipe for you to consider. It works I promise .....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"PLEASE NOTE: I am not a doctor, simply a long-time Rx opiate junkie who has had many opportunities to develop a way to detox. This is a recipe for at-home self-detox from opiates based on my experience as well as that of many other addicts. It is not intended as professional medical advice. It is always wise to make sure none of the recipe ingredients or procedures conflict with medications you may be taking. Likewise, if you have any medical condition, disease, allergy or any other health issue, consult your doctor before using the recipe. Thanks, Thomas

THOMAS RECIPE

If you can't take time off to detox, I recommend you follow a taper regimen using your drug of choice or suitable alternate -- the slower the taper, the better.

For the Recipe, You'll need:

1. Valium (or another benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, Librium, Ativan or Xanax). Of these, Valium and Klonopin are best suited for tapering since they come in tablet form. Librium is also an excellent detox benzo, but comes in capsules, making it hard to taper the dose. Ativan or Xanax should only be used if you can't get one of the others.

2. Imodium (over the counter, any drug or grocery store).

3. L-Tyrosine (500 mg caps) from the health food store.

4. Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper, Magnesium and Potassium (you may not find the potassium in the same supplement).

5. Vitamin B6 caps.

6. Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available).

How to use the recipe:

Start the vitamin/mineral supplement right away (or the first day you can keep it down), preferably with food. Potassium early in the detox is important to help relieve RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Bananas are a good source of potassium if you can't find a supplement for it.

Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you're aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5.

During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate WD symptom.

Use the Imodium aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. Don't take it, however, if you don't need it.

At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate WD malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.

Continue to take the vitamin/mineral supplement with breakfast.

As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.

Thomas"

I have tried this to an extent without a benzo, or the L-Tyrosine. I searched Rite-Aid for it and couldn't find it. My friend that just died actually went with me because we were both going to detox with the Thomas Recipe Sometimes I get through detox with next to no physical withdrawal, and other times I feel like death. I have gotten to 3 weeks clean and then I get so mental that I break. Every, I mean every second of my day that I am without opiates in my system, I think about them. I dwell so much on them that it drives me insane. I can't even sleep peacefully because I dream about taking them. That is where my major problem lays. I think I need a shrink. I know that I have a major depressive disorder, but I have no clue why. I've had it way before my mom died, I've had kids, or anything stressful really happened in my life. Opiates are a pain killer, a energy pill, and an anti-depressant all in one for me. It's so hard for me to chose to live in misery, when I know that there is pills that will make me feel like a normal human being. I do want to be done though. I don't want to die young, especially not from something that I could have prevented. So please don't take this as I don't want to stop, because I do, it has totally taken control of my mind and I wanted to explain a little of what I'm dealing with and what makes me keep relapsing. It's not just vicodin either, it's any and every opiate that I can get my hands on. Vicodin is just the most common thing that is always available and only $1-2. I'm actually thankful that I am usually broke or I would be an oxycontin or >>>>>> addict by now. Do you have any ideas of how I can overcome the mental misery? I know it sounds so bad, but I have given in to the urge so many times because I feel bad for my kids when I am off of them. I am a way better mom and overall person when I'm on them
    GiGiLee58 likes this.

shybaybe2003 is offline Senior Member

i understand the mental deression. I too have suffered severe clinical depression since i was 13. I am 32 now and still deal. I have a hx of suicide attempts, cutting, and then of course came the substance abuse i started in my early twenties and have continued on inot my thirties. I have a 3 year old autistic son, and it made me so guilty when i would use, because i know what its like to have an addict for a mother. My mom was an alcoholic who finally got sober when i turned 24. very hard life. But with me i know my subtance use and abuse and addictions have definitley added to my depression and anxiety. The only way I have a choice to keep the depression at bay is to get clean. At least there will be hope.
    GiGiLee58 likes this.