Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fosho14
solution to counteracting weight gain from seroquel
    fosho14 is offline New Member

Default solution to counteracting weight gain from seroquel

Hi there, after doing extensive research I have concluded the following:
    There are many instances where it can be physically impossible to lose weight on Seroquel no matter how you change your lifestyle whether it be through healthy diet (like vegetables and low fat protein) or tons of cardio exercise or both. Seroquel alters your metabolism somehow (I don't know how) thus preventing you from losing weight (fat) no matter what you do.

Now that we've broken through that barrier, I want to discuss some alternative existing possibilities. Basically it comes down to having to take another medication to counteract the vicious consequences of seroquel. These medications are known as "Anti-obesity medications." With the two most popular being orlistat (Xenical) and sibutramine (Meridia). I am shell shocked that there hasn't been much of any attention drawn to this subject, yet it seems that seroquel and weight gain is the number one complaint with unfortunately no solution

I would like everyone in the community to please give me their thoughts and opinions or preferably their experiences if any regarding this topic
    - (Anti-obesity medications) to be specific. Please post about the issue at hand, not about anything else. This thread is strictly to do with Anti-obesity medications as a counter acting substance to the weight gain caused by seroquel. I'm looking for responses such as whether or not this is effective, or whether this is possible or how people have dealt with this situation dosage etc. I will then proceed to discussing this collaboration of ideas with my pdoc, and finally get the ball rolling!

lastly for those of you suggesting that I just simply stop taking it as an obvious solution, please realize that I cannot tangibly sleep, like literally will not sleep without it. It has been the only drug in aiding my insomnia. Therefore I must take it regardless of the consequences!

I appreciate any input on this subject
    Thanks everyone
    Sicilian723 likes this.

python134r is offline Member

Cool Seroquel

I too was prescribed seroquel starting at 100milligrams a day eventually to 900 mgs a day. I gained 60 lbs. It was prescribed while I was in treatment in 2006 and was diagnosed as Bipolar II along with opiate addiction. After getting clean for a year and change I started to taper my seroquel over a period of many months to none.

I lost 55 of those lbs since then. I believe the Psychiatrist at the rehab I went to misdiagnosed Post acute withdrawal syndrome as Bipolar cause I was manic some days and very depressed others after coming off opiates.

Since stopping seroquel, I am feeling fine, I wish I had never taken them. I understand that physicians prescribe them off-label for insomnia but In my experience it did take me a few months to establish a normal sleep pattern.

I have a little bit of time sober under my belt from pain meds now and suffer from insomnia. Day by day I am stating to establish some kind of semi-normal sleep pattern. To me using other drugs to counter effect the side effects of others lead to a whole myriad of issues. Personally, I try to not to ingest any drugs anymore unless I must have them to stay healthy, which I am so I do without them.
    I don't know if you will find a solution to your issue but I just figured I'd share my experience.

Rich g

Doby is offline New Member

Default It is possible to lose weight

I lost weight on seroquel. The reason why the scale doesn't move is because muscle mass and water. I remember I was almost 160 (I used to be 130) now I'm down to 148 or 150. You have to keep on working out. You can't stop. Just having a diet doesn't do anything. I can tell I lost weight because I fit into my jeans again. I may still be 150 but everyone notices my body a lot smaller. I usually do Tae Bo, running, and Yoga. Do a lot of exercises that make you sweat a lot. And just don't give up.

2Much is offline New Member

Default Seraquel

I have never taken seroquel BUT am currently on Meridea, and the only thing I can say is that if you have insomnia, I would NOT suggest taking Meridea
    because for about the first two weeks or so, but with your condition, the
    insomnia may be a more permanent affect.

Hope this helps

Robert_325 is offline Retired

fosho ..... I have taken low doses of seroquel for some time due to permanent CNS damage. I just don't sleep, period! I have never gained weight, not an ounce, from taking 50mg-100mg doses. High doses are different.

However Meridia is still an abusive medication, though it does have medicinal value. But drs are watched closely by the DEA on handing out amphetamines. They won't risk their ability to work to give someone a script for amphetamines.

I don't blame them personally, I wouldn't risk my livelihood either right or wrong. It's nothing personal, it's just the way drs are regulated. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

nora021449 is offline New Member

Sorry if this is duplicate. I don't see my first reply.
    I am on seroquel and have lost 18 pounds in 4 weeks. I do not eat any wheat products or processed foods. I only eat whole foods, in the same form that they are grown, like brown
    Rice, oatmeal, potatoes, corn, other vegetables, popcorn, nuts, fruits. I do not eat anything that is made out of flour or that has been processed to make like bread, biscuits, pancakes, cakes, cookies, because they all have wheat. I also do not eat any other product that has been processed even if it is made out of something other than wheat like rice or oats. Eat whole foods only, it must look like it comes out of the ground or off of the tree. This may sound hard, but it is not. Eat as much as you want and after you do it a few days you lose all your old cravings for processed foods. That is the miraculous part.
    It is my personal choice not to eat meat or dairy, as I love animals and do not want them killed or abused, but you can still lose
    weight if you eat them.

nora021449 is offline New Member

I should have added I saw a doctor on public television talking about this and that is why I tried it. He said to give up wheat altogether and also all processed foods to lose weight. It sure has worked for me!

I know this is an old post but I will quickly chime in. I was on Seroquel XR and it really helped my insomnia. I slept like a baby on it, but the cons of this drug outweigh the benefits I feel. Weight gain is very common, and other common side effects include increased LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol), high blood pressure and diabetic like conditions when taken for long periods of time at high doses. These risks made me stop taking the medicine very quickly. I don't like a medication where you would constantly need your blood monitored and all sorts of tests to ensure the drug is dosing at the proper levels. Seroquel is a good drug for what it is intended for, but unfortunately, there are just too many negatives about taking it, esp. for ppl that remain on it for a long time.

As far as counteracting the weight gain (I have no idea how anyone lost weight on Seroquel, must be metabolism not diet, because everyone I know that have taken this drug, at least 30 people, have put on a ton of weight) yes there are drugs such as Phentermine, better known as Adipex P, but this is a stimulant drug (amphetamine) that will cause appetite suppression and weight loss. Problem is it can be addicting b/c it is a stimulant and most doctors will not put people on weight meds (many weight meds have some kind of stimulant in them, they have to, that is how ppl lose weight, sweating, heart racing, moving around faster, being stimulated basically and not eating as much and having more energy to exercise) unless all else fails. It is usually a last resort type of thing. Diet and exercise of course are the best, but with Seroquel this does not seem to matter, so yes, I would say that if someone is having a major weight problem from Seroquel but is benefiting greatly from the medicine, then an alternative weight loss medicine, a stimulant might be needed to get the body's metabolism back on track. How long would that take? That I do not know. Only a doctor might know the answer to that, but amphetamine weight loss medicines augment your metabolism rate, so I would assume at some point in time it could counteract the negative effects of Seroquel weight gain. Other side effects I mentioned though, (bad cholesterol increase, high blood pressure and of course diabetics should avoid this medicine) need to also be taken into consideration. It is a decision between u and your doctor. Sorry I have rambled on about this, lol! God Bless

dmolise21 is offline New Member

Default Try Remeron(Mirtazapine)

I've was on Seroquel XR before for depression and I had to quit because it was too sedating. Of course, that was before I had ever experienced true insomnia. I've had it since February this year and the only way I have been able to get a regular night's sleep (not too little, not too much) is by taking remeron as an augmentation to my antidepressant. Now, of course, remeron is certainly not going to make you lose weight, but I can tell you that it is a far cry from seroquel; plus, you aren't at risk for developing diabetes. I don't the exact mechanism that causes the risk of developing diabetes, but I do know that it mainly applies only to the antipsychotics and not the tetracyclic antidepressants. Another good thing about mirtazapine is that it is extremely potent in the acute phase starting at about 45 minutes to an hour; even more so than Seroquel -- however, it does not have that super heavy sleep-inertia hangover like seroquel.

It really worries me that seroquel is being so aggressively marketed to primary care physicians because I know that they are not fully disclosing just exactly what seroquel is - a second-gen antipsychotic. This stuff is no joke and really isn't appropriate to dole out to people with only mild to moderate depression.

Now, as far as using stimulants to lose weight, ehhgh, you are really playing with fire with gas on your fingers. Unless you have a severe case of ADHD, atypical depression, clinical burnout, or narcolepsy taking amphetamines is not really going to be beneficial because you will need to eventually get off of them. The problem is, just like a diet, you will gain back the weight, with a vengeance. For the first couple of days after you stop taking them you have a voracious appetite that makes the munchies look pathetic in comparison, plus you can forget trying to exercise when your whole body feels like lead and you are so depressed you curse the sun for shining. Trust me, it is not worth it.

helenaa-s is offline New Member

Lightbulb Seroquel

I have been taking seroquel for a year now and if anything i have lost weight. Seroquel does not make you gain weight, however it does tend to increase your appetite. Simple answer = don't eat more. People are always trying to blame weight gain on some side effect of some medication... truth is you should get off your asses and not use a drug as an excuse of having 4 doughnuts. It's like girls who blame weight gain on the pill! stop trying to displace your own laziness on medications.. just get off your asses.

jfromthek is offline New Member

Default Total Ignorance, Please Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by helenaa-s View Post
    I have been taking seroquel for a year now and if anything i have lost weight. Seroquel does not make you gain weight, however it does tend to increase your appetite. Simple answer = don't eat more. People are always trying to blame weight gain on some side effect of some medication... truth is you should get off your asses and not use a drug as an excuse of having 4 doughnuts. It's like girls who blame weight gain on the pill! stop trying to displace your own laziness on medications.. just get off your asses.

Please ignore the ignorant fool who posted the above quote. Seroquel and other similar drugs mechanism on weight gain is unknown. Bottom line is that the drug is affecting in some way your brain's ability to regulate fat storage and process sugars. Regardless of how much you eat, there is a good chance you will gain weight on this drug. I can speak from personal experience, that my triglycerides went through the roof on this med and I gained about 20 lbs that fell off as soon as I went off the med. I was basically in early stage diabetes from 12 months on this drug at a dosage of 400-600mg. I had used it for sleep issues that don't justify the dangers / side effects. If you are using this mediacation for life threatening psychotic issues, then the side effrcts are justifeid. Otherwise stay away.

jfromthek is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by fosho14 View Post
    There are many instances where it can be physically impossible to lose weight on Seroquel no matter how you change your lifestyle whether it be through healthy diet (like vegetables and low fat protein) or tons of cardio exercise or both. Seroquel alters your metabolism somehow (I don't know how) thus preventing you from losing weight (fat) no matter what you do.

Now that we've broken through that barrier, I want to discuss some alternative existing possibilities. Basically it comes down to having to take another medication to counteract the vicious consequences of seroquel. These medications are known as "Anti-obesity medications." With the two most popular being orlistat (Xenical) and sibutramine (Meridia). I am shell shocked that there hasn't been much of any attention drawn to this subject, yet it seems that seroquel and weight gain is the number one complaint with unfortunately no solution

I would like everyone in the community to please give me their thoughts and opinions or preferably their experiences if any regarding this topic
    - (Anti-obesity medications) to be specific. Please post about the issue at hand, not about anything else. This thread is strictly to do with Anti-obesity medications as a counter acting substance to the weight gain caused by seroquel. I'm looking for responses such as whether or not this is effective, or whether this is possible or how people have dealt with this situation dosage etc. I will then proceed to discussing this collaboration of ideas with my pdoc, and finally get the ball rolling!

lastly for those of you suggesting that I just simply stop taking it as an obvious solution, please realize that I cannot tangibly sleep, like literally will not sleep without it. It has been the only drug in aiding my insomnia. Therefore I must take it regardless of the consequences!

Thanks everyone
    I also used this drug for chronic insomnia. You are on a dangerous cycle taking one drug to counter the effects of another. Can I ask if you live in a state that allows medical cannabis? If so I would strongly recommend looking into this for your sleep issues. You don't have to smoke it since there are many edible forms, and other ways of getting the medicine into your blood- Vaporizing and eating being the safest. There hasn't been single one incident of death from Cannabis use in recorded history. While you might feel some hunger (and good forbid, some happiness too), it does not even come close to what the Seroquel is doing to you. Get off the roller coaster of taking one drug to counteract another. Unless you are undergoing something like chemo it's just not a good idea. Good luck.
    Last edited by jfromthek; 01-23-2012 at 06:24 PM.

islandantoinette is offline New Member

Default I am 284 pounds from taking Seroquel for over 8 years

I am up to 284 you might as well as call it 300 pounds from taking Seroquel for over 8 years due to seizures that finally had put me in a coma for a month. Well YES,YES,YES, Seroquel does cause weight gain no matter what you eat or even fast of which I have done plenty in my younger years. I have done much research and found that which others have all over the world and are even filing lawsuits against Seroquel. I was gaining 2 pounds a day when I finally went off it!!!!
    Now I have switched to topamax 2 weeks ago and have weaned myself off of Seroquel and not had any seizures lost 14 pounds not much when you have 150 to loose. But it is a start and to H_E_L_L with Seroquel. I have also cut Lexapro in Half to 5mg from 10 and I am going to stop taking that pill too. It is another fat packing pill!
    Seroquel is not only responsible for my 300 pounds of misshapen flesh but also diabetes and $360 a month in medicine co pays and doctor co pays of an additional $100 a month. I am a retired R.N. and I never thought my life would come to this from having had spinal meningitis at the age of 25.
    Good riddance to bad rubbish as they say!
    Last edited by ddcmod; 02-05-2012 at 08:46 PM.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Hey dude, I just lost about 120 lbs from all the meds I've taken for autoimmune problems. I am just about done, weigh less than when I graduated high school in 1971! I may lose another 15 or so, but I'm out of the woods.

Stick with it! It's an awesome feeling to see over 14" come off the waist! I am starting to run and play racquetball again! God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

fosho14 is offline New Member

****Please Read**** Important/Summary and Conclusion

Wow. I never thought I'd be commenting on a thread I started over 3 years ago! Glad it's still going strong. For everyone that is wondering, I am still on 100mg of Seroquel after all this time and I never ended up taking the weight cutting medications to counter act the altered metabolism that seroquel was producing. Reason being is I really didn't want to risk being addicted or reliant on more drugs that I would eventually want to get off. Unfortunately we have a great deal of disparity between people’s experiences and beliefs on this matter! That is rather frustrating!! Half the people claim that it has no bearing what so ever on your ability to cut fat or lose weight. These people claim that it does not have any adverse affects on your metabolism and it is a matter of will power of eating the right foods and exercising (even though clinical studies have shown contrary evidence against this, and my own doctor has told me that seroquel slows down your metabolism). Then the other half of the people replying to this thread say that it has directly affected their body fat and weight gain in a negative way all else being equal. Personally I have shared the same experience as the other half who have suffered from gaining fat specifically on seroquel **and not because of overeating/poor diet/or lack of exercise! I should clear something up though. I'm not overly obese by any means and am really trying to get back to the amazing body I used to have compared to the average/flabby one I have now. Luckily I have been blessed with incredible genetics from my parents. Not to be arrogant but I kid you not, before I was on seroquel people would revel in my chiselled six pack and sharply defined features. And for the record I used to eat constant junk and only exercised moderately, but would still maintain this beautiful physique. I felt bad because some of my friends worked so hard and tried to diet but they were genetically cursed. So yes I must say that there are a few idiots or at least 1 idiot on here who is not aware of the fact that sometimes it's not just a matter of hard work, and genetics and metabolism THAT YOU ARE BORN WITH plays a huge role in the appearance of your body despite your efforts. The point I'm trying to make here is basically a forceful cautionary tale to anyone who is thinking about starting seroquel for the first time, and who takes their image/appeal/and fitness ability seriously (yes it greatly effects energy levels as well).

Anyone who wants to look good and I mean GOOD in a bathing suit or naked needs to completely black list this drug immediately and not even consider taking it. I was lucky enough to be born with the genetics of a god, and both my brothers are jacked and shredded with virtually NO BODY FAT, just like I used to be (before seroquel) and they eat much worse foods in much higher quantities than my controlled healthy meal plan. Since my initial post on this forum three years ago I decided to opt against taking another drug to counteract the proven evils of seroquel and thought I'd do my best to try and really find out and be absolutely certain if it was the drug, or if it was me not eating healthy enough. Well guess what guys, its been three years, and after completely revamping my diet, restricting myself to nothing but whole nutritious foods, vegatables, certain fruits with low levels of glucose/fructose and high levels of fibre and a ton of lean protein and no fat or artificial processed garbage. In conjunction to this excellent diet I have an extensive cardio regime of intense swimming and treadmill activity 5 days a week with only 2 days off. Guess what has been the result of all this hard work and discipline after 3 years??!! I have no six pack, and I look soft. Now I’m not saying I’m obese or 250 lb’s or anything like that, but my body still looks significantly worse than it used to and I never even had to think about worrying about my diet or cardio before I started seroquel in order to look good!! There’s actually a visible layer of fat covering my belly right now. It's not that I've gained a bunch of weight it's that the seroquel is altering my metabolism similar to the slow metabolism of some of my chubby or husky friends who are athletes but still look flabby without a shirt on.

I know for a fact that I will never ever get the body I used to have and the body that my brothers have right now unless I get off seroquel completely for good. I get sad looking at old pictures of that beautiful six pack and jaw line I used to have before I commenced this horrid substance. That is my new goal now, to wean myself off somehow or by some means find an alternative less damaging drug(although currently there are none as effective as seroquel for the extreme case of clinical insomnia that I have). I have proved first hand to myself that seroquel alters your metabolism in a very harmful way. Obviously this is anecdotal evidence to anyone reading this but I swear to god I'm not making this up. It's your choice if you want to believe me or not, but I'm being very truthful and honest about everything. I candidly posted this hoping that it will help at least one individual avoid this drug if he/she can. I don't know what the hell is in this thing that causes your body to morph into an ugly undesirable "flabby" look no matter what you do in your power to change it, but something in it activates something in your metabolism in a terribly negative way so watch out. I know it sounds depressing and discouraging, but I'm sorry, the truth isn't always pretty and rosy. The good news however is that if I get off this seroquel I know I will be able to get back to the appearance and physique I once had which is nice to know. Things could be worse I guess, I could be genetically cursed, but instead I'm just seroquel cursed and although you can’t change your genes you can change what medications you take End of story.
    Last edited by fosho14; 04-07-2012 at 10:36 PM.

veganhs is offline New Member

hi, have you always taken 100 mg of seroquel? did you ever take more... if so, do you feel like the lower dose was better for keeping weight off?
    for 2 years i took the combo of seroquel and prozac for my bipolar,anxiety,depression,insomnia. i was at 200mg seroquel. oh and i also was on adderall 20mg 2 times a day. even with an amphetamine i gained 20-30 pounds. im a vegan so i eat pretty healthy, not really into junk food, i would do cardio 4 times a week and i could NOT lose weight. i ended up putting on 5 pounds of muscle.
    i have been on sleeping pills for 8 years and they stopped working for me. seroquel 50mg makes me sleep so well. my doctor wants me to switch geodon to seroquel (at least 200mg) for my bipolar and everything i mentioned above. after reading what you have posted im really hoping i dont gain weight this time. im hoping it was the prozac.
    but anyways, do you have prescription coverage? i need drug assistance and i might not be qualified for it for seroquel under Astrazeneca.
    looking forward to your relpy.
    thanks!

Crystal1212 is offline New Member

Default Trazadone

I have also gained bout 40lbs since starting Seroquel XR 300mg twice daily. The weight gain was very rapid and very upsetting. I too had a great figure and am now depressed over this excess of weight. Now I am tapering off the medicine that I was taking 4 depression since it has made me more depressed. It's comforting to know I'm not alone. I did want 2 mention 4 those who suffer from insomnia if they have tried Trazadone? I have been taking it 4 years and I now have no problem sleeping. Let me know if anyone has tried this!

kapow is offline New Member

Default not just appetite

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal1212 View Post
    I have also gained bout 40lbs since starting Seroquel XR 300mg twice daily. The weight gain was very rapid and very upsetting. I too had a great figure and am now depressed over this excess of weight. Now I am tapering off the medicine that I was taking 4 depression since it has made me more depressed. It's comforting to know I'm not alone. I did want 2 mention 4 those who suffer from insomnia if they have tried Trazadone? I have been taking it 4 years and I now have no problem sleeping. Let me know if anyone has tried this!
    I've gained weight with each antipsychotic I've tried. I'm taking 400mg Seroquel XR and was astounded how fast the weight piled on. What I've also noticed is that I'm rarely hungry, but I have a incredible compulsion to eat, especially at night. It feels liked an addiction. During the day I eat normally. I take my med about 4 hrs before bedtime. When the dose kicks in later I'm fantasizing about food. For those who say "just don't eat", you have to be in my shoes. I don't want any more meds--everything comes with its own potential side effects. Aside from hating the way I look and the helplessness about this compulsion, I now have to worry about the effects of weight on glucose and cholesterol levels. Therapeutically it works pretty well for me (bipolar) but it certainly presents a dilemma.

memooseandi is offline New Member

Default Seroquel XR

Quote Originally Posted by kapow View Post
    I've gained weight with each antipsychotic I've tried. I'm taking 400mg Seroquel XR and was astounded how fast the weight piled on. What I've also noticed is that I'm rarely hungry, but I have a incredible compulsion to eat, especially at night. It feels liked an addiction. During the day I eat normally. I take my med about 4 hrs before bedtime. When the dose kicks in later I'm fantasizing about food. For those who say "just don't eat", you have to be in my shoes. I don't want any more meds--everything comes with its own potential side effects. Aside from hating the way I look and the helplessness about this compulsion, I now have to worry about the effects of weight on glucose and cholesterol levels. Therapeutically it works pretty well for me (bipolar) but it certainly presents a dilemma.
    I've been diagnosed with bipolar I for two years now. I was initially placed on lithium but I had lithium toxicity which was the most painful experience of my life. I am 5' 2" and weighed 116 pounds before I was placed on Seroquel which I started at 25mg and slowly worked up to 900mg. Within 4 months, I gained 15 pounds. I've always been very athletic, and I do not have the best diet, but I do not have the worst either. But Seroquel made me CRAVE before bed. It feels almost uncontrollable, and insatiable. I've been exercising 6 days a week for the last 6 weeks and I have been watching my diet more carefully, with very little results. I've gone down to 500mg of Seroquel and I am at about 126 pounds. I am working my ASS off at the gym and I'm seeing very little results. It is very clear to me that Seroquel has drastically slowed my metabolism down. Both my parents have not gone to the gym in ten years and are very slim (my dad being 6' 1" and 170 pounds and my mom being 5' 0" and 110 pounds), so I am genetically smaller. I just can't seem to lose this weight. I feel like I'm trapped in this flabby body that isn't mine. I know that 126 pounds at 5'2" is "healthy", but I've never been this fat before, and I, PERSONALLY, am not genetically designed to be at this weight. I just started taking topiramate to offset the weight gain. I'm taking 50mg a day, so hopefully I will see some results. If anyone has any questions, or just wants someone to talk to for support, just email me at pbj.and.s@gmail.com

I know how hard it is to live with bipolar disorder. Seroquel works really well to tame my episodes but the cognitively slowing and fattening side effects really hit me hard.

Guineapigofpharma is offline New Member

I made a account just to reply to this, I am or was a "trial subject" for various medications including seroquel due to a now gone( due to of all things hormone therapy) severe case of epilepsy.

First off let me say one thing, of all the pills the doctors put me on be it tegratol that caused my blood cell count to plummet, neurotin, adderall, or dylantin and others that made me psychotic(and I have been on all of them), and even the depakote I got dependent on the worst of them all was seroquel.

Before seroquel, no matter what they put me on I still had my body; I was blessed with near no body fat before seroquel, I had a relatively high metabolism and even if I suffered from a ED from a young age I could still eat normally and not gain a pound.
    I had muscle, I had tone, damn I was a child photo model I looked and felt great and had energy like madness.
    And even after the growth hormone crash drop at 7 (probably due to pills,I had already been on adderall, neurotin, dylantin ritalin at least but there were more) where I stopped growing I still had my body and my thyroid still worked.

Note the part about the thyroid, well time goes on we move my ed gets bad due to stuff, I lose weight, was getting semi healthy again and bypass the oh 27 plus pills they had put me on by age 10 and you get to the time they put me on seroquel.
    I should note that it was NOT legalized yet and was in the last part of open trials, almost every pill they put me on was trial or being reverified through trials at the time even adderall. Within two maybe three weeks of going on seroquel I gained 50 pounds of pure fat, I looked pregant with triplets at 10. It was awful, I could not be around food or I would eat it all and I couldn't stop at al it was like my mind was along for the ride as my body pigged out, and it went straight to fat I saw it happen I felt it happen and the doctors just let it happen. I could not stop it, I tried but I couldn't.
    They took me off after 3 weeks, now 15 years later and seizure and drug free (mostly)I still feel the side effects.
    And I was very small, remember I had stopped having growth hormone at 7 or so (which was not found out till I was 15) so this weight almost killed me. It also made a very mild case of scholiosis a million times worse, and when they put me on HGH therapy I did not grow tall enough due to the weight which I had spent years trying to shake. I fasted for 4 years nonstop, I tried every diet I even went vegan, nothing worked.
    I also have a double s curve now in my back, due to the weight holding me down (literally).

It also probably caused my thyroid to die, as in I have severe hypothyroidism as a long term side effect; I am forced to let me anorexia take over just to maintain weight and if I eat more than 600 cals a day it goes to fat.
    Exercise makes no difference. Diet makes no difference.
    My metabolism was destroyed beyond reason, I was 10 I did not deserve that.

I am on thyroid replacement therapy now(synthroid to be precise), I can't get rid if the fat short of liposuction which I can't afford, and under 5 foot due to the hgh not working well enough due to seroquel gained fat weight and my spine.
    The worst part is my brain did get sort of back to normal, I can lose weight (though this took 7 years for that side effect to go away) but I am now on a hyper strict low fat low carb diet low cal to just maintain my weight.
    At 108 lbs and 4'11.5 I am borderline overweight, I barely missed diabetes, but I can't get rid of the seroquel fat. My metabolism works sort of, but I can't get rid of the excess fat cells I gained (and trust me I gained fat cells).

Of all the pills they put me on that one caused the longest visible side effect, and I want to forget those days and live the life I should have had for all those years. I also have to lose the fat for health reasons, my spine hurts if I am over 101 lbs, and my family is prone to diabetes (as in my fathers entire side has it for the most part). I am desperate enough to undergo liposuction, and a full body lift just to get rid of these cells that seroquel made me gain.
    I had almost no fat before seroquel, now I have too much and it causes my body pain.

Personally if I had my way I would ban this pill, permanently, the long term side effects are not worth the risk.
    Hell after how the trial patients (like myself) reacted I can't imagine why it was legalized at all in the first place!
    I wasn't the only one who gained weight, I'm not the only one living with hypothyroidism, and apparently some of them became diabetic (not me).
    They knew in the trials, trust me they took measurements and notes weekly and had my parents do so at home. They had my parents track how I ate, what I ate, how often, they had the notes they knew what Seroquel did.
    They also took notes on what it did to my mental state, it also made me nuts and hallucinate (which is the only reason they took me off it, they would have let it go longer if that hadn't started) towards the end of being on it.

My advice, if your doctor asks you if you want to try this drug SAY NO it was bad in clinical trials and it is bad now. You could end up with diabetes or worse hypothyroidism, in fact I suggest anyone who takes this pill to get checked for hypothyroidism since I only started being able to lose weight after being put on Synthroid.
    The description says only 5% of people who take it get hypothyroidism, but in trials I think the doc said it was more like 20% of the trial group.
    Sort of like how neurotin supposedly only causes increased aggression in X amount of cases (and I was a trial monkey for THAT too, I was 3 years old when they put me on it in 1990, and allergic) at X age..

I am allergic to all the pills that could boost my metabolism, RX ones at least I guess it comes with being one of the trial monkeys who was put on everything. So for me surgery and alternative pills/fat removal pills are all that could work. I am actually going to go on alli, I am that desperate because if that doesn't work I have to go under the knife.

I guess my drawn out post that I made one account for sums up to don't take seroquel, don't take lexapro either (took that last spring for 1 week, it caused same issue as seroquel and I stopped taking it on my own after I gained 10 lbs). It was not safe in trials, it is not safe now; if you have taken it or are taken it get tested for Hypothyroidism as soon as you can if you see the weight gain side effects.
    If you have trouble sleeping use herbal or classic home remedies, if it is for bipolar try ANYTHING else and I mean anything. Make sure NOTHING else works before taking seroquel, OP I would like to say I understand where you are coming from.
    I also highly suggest you get tested for Hypothyroidism, chances are you got it from seroquel OP, trust me I know.
    15 years post seroquel, I know all to well.

Inthepavement is offline New Member

I'm so glad this topic exists, and people are sharing their grievances and offering solutions. (It's really hard to read information concerning this topic with many replies but hardly any solutions.)

I was put on Seroquel 600mg for Bipolar 1 after I experienced a manic phase (my first) which lead to my 5-week hospitalization. Overtime, I have been trying to taper-off the dose. Since a year has passed, I have been able to successfully drop it to 500mg. Still, I experience the nasty side-effects, but it helps me think clearly, speak clearly, and organize my thoughts.

So, consequently I gained 28 pounds, and I have lost 11 pounds (after two months) through a complete lifestyle change. I even have had days where I admittedly have not eaten very well, and I still have been able to maintain my weight loss. This is what I have done so far:

I started with a 40-day detox using fiber supplements combined with enzyme tablets and a natural laxative.
    This helped me calm down my sugar-cravings until it got rid of them completely. I began eating salmon, salads, vegetarian burger patties, nuts, whole-wheat breads, and so on. When I got to day 30 or so, I got that hunger pain right after I took the medication (it was debilitating, really), so I made protein shakes before bed.

Then, I went to the gym for 15-20 minutes and gradually went up to 1.5 to 2.5 hours, five days a week.
    During my cardio workout, I burn at least 750 calories. 3,500 calories equals a pound. Whatever foods I eat, as long as I don't overeat, I could at least lose one pound a week. Before I do cardio, I lift weights for at least 10-15 minutes. If you build muscle, your metabolism speeds up and burns more calories.

I am now done with my detox, and I'm taking multi-vitamins. I also take Omega Salmon-Oil 3, which has many benefits. (It's also great for those who are taking Seroquel for mental health treatment.)

My weight-loss journey is not over. I read somewhere that a book called the Serotonin Diet--works wonders; I ordered it online, and I'm looking forward to reading it.

I know this thread was started a few years ago. I would love to hear from those who are still taking Seroquel and how they've managed taking this medication.
    Last edited by Inthepavement; 10-15-2013 at 02:22 AM.

john steven is offline New Member

I lost a weight on taking a seroquel because iam not taking a seroquel in a regular time.Iam taking a seroquel in a 2 days basis and it also had some effect on our health.

onlyinred is offline New Member

like some others- I made an account just to post on this
    im hoping what I write will help others and maybe some1 can help me...sigh
    anyway, the following is a copy of an email I sent to supportive family members. its long -but It basically shows that I have a very good grounding in body mechanics and that I truly exhausted all other possibilities before blaming Seroquel... for the record- and only 'cause I hope it might be helpful...
    im 5"4, 25yr old male (likes walks in the park, fine wines and -haha see? bad date joke-anyway...) ive been working out for some 7 years now. that means ive been cardioing and muscle building for a while. and ive ALWAYS had it tough-I absolutely hate making excuses-but like I write in my email-the sheer amount of exercise I do as well as the number of ppl who have been consistently successful on a far less rigorous regiment-leads me to suspect its always been something with my meds-even before Seroquel=.
    however-ive always been willing to push harder nad even harder-if in the long run I can have my mental peace of mind. and if that means more time in the weight room to burn calories? so be it.
    its only when I introduced Seroquel (and maybe another drug(s) buproprien and cypmbalta (or maybe a mixture of the drugs) that it got to be too much...anyway I take propecia (hair growth) 5mg, rogaine (ibid), concerta 54mg(which actualy blunts my hunger) buproprien twice a day 150mg pills, and Seroquel (quetiapine fumarate) 2 pills of 100mg-at night)
    so heres the email

so you know how I devote a lot of my free time towards working out and cardio? and how im very careful with my nutrition?

well a few months ago iwas on my usual diet but for some reason I was gaining weight. I was somewhere around 154lbs and now was 155. so I attributed it to some fluctuation or other and kept gng.l then I gained another pound the next week and the next...pretty soon it became cvlear that despite all mywork -I was for some reason gaining weight.

now, its always been tough for me to lose weioghjt 1)because of my size-its pretty easy to eat too many calories-if I ate average sized portions. plus im on a cocktail of thyroid and other body part affecting drugs which most likely affect my weight as well (though im loath to blame something as an excuse-the sheer amount of people who lose weight in comparison to my difficulty level in losing it-points to some reason more than just genetics)

I never let myself lay the blame elsewhere-so I strtd pumping up my exercise routine-8 miles for 5 daysa or at least 40miles a week plus muscle workouts. this was the most effective combination (with good dieting oif course) in that the month before I was finaly able to lose a pound a week consistently-something that's never happened before. and though based on the timing and the huge disparity of only losing 1 pound every 3 weeks and with the medicine change-1 pound a week.

anyway to be clear-that was then-i.e =on a diff med altogether.

but I thought "what the hey" and went for it. the result? one pound gain a week.

so I got harder on my diet and pushed even harder on my cardio-I refused to lok for an excuse-meanwhikle looking for every other possibility. maybe I eat too much without realizing it? or maybe im not doing asd much cardio as I think?ok. time to get tough

so now im on whats basically a starvation diet-almost half someone my size shld be eating, and I cut back on workouts but increase the cardio to 10miles a day for 5 days. the result? out of 4 weeks-2 of those weeks im almost certain I managed to remain at the same weight-without gaining. ...yay

so this realy made me stop and think. even if I WAS overeating-which I wasn't and/or even if I had NOT traveled a full 10 miles aday.- I shld be burning a wopping amount of calories -between colories eaten and calories burnt? at least 1000 calories a day-rly more like 2000 -at the least.

whats the reason I was gaining?

so I followed my diet diary and realized that around the same time I strtd gaining weight on a consistent basis-I had strtd takenb a new drug called Seroquel.

and online I see people reporting gaining as much as 20lbs in a month.

...wonderful. so my choice is to be happy and fat )which sortav means ill berepressing sadness in the long run) or alone in the dark with an admirable physique..

so I start talking to the doc. and we discuss it and eventually I decide to test a few more theories.

you see, one of the reasons Seroquel gains weight is cause it makes you hungry...though according to my diary-I wasn't eating more than I used to. in fact...I was still on a starvation diet.

then again it also slooooooows ur metabolism down. but I -as usual am loath to look for excuses-plus, doc dsnt seem to know bout the etabolism thingy.

so I keep pushinggggg...aaaaaaaand still gaining.

FIANALY I decide one more try-maybe with all the ieti9ng -I myself forced my body to go into starvation mode-i.e slowed my metabolism do-wn. so I switch to a maintenance diet-eating calories according to my size-which shlkd kick start my metabolism and yata yata.

and then? cause im all gusto now-and Im just SURE -no sarcasm-just sure that itll work now-I actualy increase my cardio. from 10miles a day -to 14 miles a day. PLUS I increase my workouts again, and tailor them to be calorie burning (more reps lower weight).

and what do you think the result is?

I gained another 5 pounds.

*sigh*

the current cocktail of drugs is b"h working wonderfully. but, I mean...you see im willing to make sacrifices -don't you? ill in the effort. heck, ill put in double the effort if it means ill eventualy get my goals.if being happy in my chemical makeup (i.e finaly finding the right mix of drugs) means ill have to push harder for the sake of my psychological makeup-then fine. ill do what it takes... but *shakes head* what more am I supposed to do?

*siiigh* so I left a mssg with my doc. we need to re-evaluate our options. someone suggested *shudders* weed as a sedative as well as a pick me up, another suggested -ick-a weight control pill (which are dangerously addictive-in more ways than one) third suggested a replacement for Seroquel...though all similar drugs have almost a 100% same weight gain result -if you've had that side affect in Seroquel...

Im trying not to "knock it before I try it"...but...*sigh*...yeh, im not so glad with my options

-that's the end of the email. Im sure you might be calculating the weight gain-its not a perfect one pound a week-but that's to be expected-weight gain is never that perfect.-if u want to know... >> say I gained...about 10 pounds in 2-3 months....on a diet that would make the average person my height -LOSE about 1.5-2lbs a week.

this hasn't helped me-but I hope my experiences so far-will help someone
    Last edited by onlyinred; 12-19-2013 at 03:12 PM.

wildejamey is offline New Member

I am really glad I found this thread because I also have been beating myself up about gaining weight and wondered if it had something to do with going on seroquel. Like many people I did not previously have a problem in keeping to normal BMI but have put on half a stone since starting seroquel. It seems to be on the low side compared with some experiences but I never before had a problem getting it down with normal amount of exercise and diet restrictions for a while. So it was a worry about will t get worse. I am also on relatively low amount for bipolar of 150mg but am taking other meds - mainly lamotrigine in much higher dose as a mood stabilizer. The Lamotrigine did not adversely affect my weight much or at all. The reason for going on seroquel like others was to help me sleep, which it certainly does, as when I get manic episodes I don't sleep for days and then get worse and worse.

When I went on seroquel I did careful research and the reason I thought it wd be good was because it was shown as having only POSSIBLE mild to medium weight gain. It was also lower in this respect than olanzapine, which I had been on, and which it is common knowledge is the worst for weight gain and causing problems like diabetes. It seems seroquel has the same problems, in fact most of these 2nd gen anti-psychs do, but it's a dilemma as to which is the more dangerous problem and I suppose the mh one is if it gets severe. otherwise it may be best to taper off as soon as the condition is under control. Trouble is that the other meds that stabilize mood don't necessarily help sleep. Abilify is supposed to be like olanzapine or seroquel without the weight gain, but is usually prescribed exactly for those people who get sleepy or sedated too much. So no help for those of us who have trouble sleeping.

In view of the stories here of dieting and exercising far more than I think I could do, without it having much effect, I'm inclined now to ask to taper down my dose to see if a lower amount will still help with the sleep but reduce the weight problem. Will report back when I have results. Meanwhile good luck to every one else on here sharing their knowledge and struggles. It helps to know you are not alone.

LozP6 is offline New Member

Hi

I have been on this medication for over a year now, probably 14 months, I have gained a whooping 5 stone in this time. I havent till recently realised this is actually making me more and more depressed. I had a fit and had an accident and slipped my disc last October which hasnt helped either as i can hardly walk and im in constant pain with that. I am going to try the Xzenical tablets and hopefully this will help with the weight. Its not like i eat that much either, i lost 4 stone about 3 years ago and kept it off, i eat less now than i did when i was dieting, it doesnt make an sense to me at all. So, hopefully once i take these weight tablets they will help as at the moment i feel like my moods are getting worse and worse. I have 2 lovely children and an amazing boyfriend but i dont get why hes with me, im not the same person anymore.

lotus3044 is offline New Member

I am so glad I found this blog. It certainly has been going for a long time. I have had chronic insomnia for 10 years because of stress from being overworked at my job. I was the only auditor for 401K plans for a major financial company, taking work home with me, couldn't sleep because I thought only of my work, etc. The first Dr.I went to prescribed Seroquel because I cannot initially fall asleep. Once I fall asleep, I sleep like a rock. That was about 10 years ago, took it for about 2/3 years, then on/off for a few years. It put about 50 pounds on me. I agree with people who say this drug just makes you gain weight and you cannot control it. Also, a side effect is restless leg syndrome. I think I took the drug for years before the RLS started. RLS is a horrible symptom, especially if you are prone to stress. I have often wondered why the Dr. did not put me on a regular sleep aid instead of Seroquel and do not see that Dr. anymore, moved out of state or I would actually ask her. After I got off the drug I lost all the weight and RLS stopped. At this point, I was 70 y.o. Then last year I took it for about 5 months and gained about 30 pounds. But my blood pressure spiked, cholesterol was out of control and had to get off of it. I hated the weight gain. I have had a hard time losing the extra weight, have only lost about 10 pounds. My problem is Seroquel is THE ONLY med that will put me to sleep. I have tried every sleep med on the market, nothing works except Seroquel. I am having a love/hate relationship with this drug. In between taking the Seroquel, I take a cocktail for sleeping of Neurontin which I have been taking for nerve pain due to scoliosis for many yrs. Also, clonazepam for stress and panic attacks with a couple of melatonin pills and benedryl. This worked for awhile, but could not fall asleep until around 3 am. My goal is to get off all sleep meds thinking I can go back to natural sleep because I am retired now. Well, it's not working. I guess I am addicted to all the meds. For the last few months, falling asleep has gotten worse. It is now 5 am and I'm not at all sleepy. For the last couple of weeks, I have been falling asleep at 8 am, sleeping until 3 pm or not sleeping at all. Yesterday I was so stressed out, put call in to the Dr., crying all day, just a total stress/panic attacks all day long. I had decided before talking to Dr. I would take a Seroquel last night. Put me to sleep almost immediately, and woke up after about 7 hours of sleep. I asked the Dr. if I could switch the klonipin to valium (which I had taken years ago for awhile), at that time it really worked well on me. I picked up the valium late this afternoon. 2 pills of 10 mg has given me absolutely no relief. I was so afraid I would not sleep tonight and I will not take the Seroquel. I have told the DR. I will take Seroquel only as a last resort or once in a while. I do not want to depend on this drug. I don't know what to do. The Dr. said there are similar drugs to Seroquel and maybe we can try them. God knows when I am going to fall asleep. Sometimes I am awake for days. Does anyone know anything about similar drugs?

synthesis1980 is offline New Member

Default seroquel/quitiapine

Quote Originally Posted by fosho14 View Post

Thanks everyone
    Hey man I have been taking quitiapine 600mg for about 5 years now after being diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic.
    I hate the side effects but simply have to take it as every time I have stopped I have become ill again. When I first started taking it I did get cravings and never seemed satisfied often eating before bedtime etc, I had gained about 2 stone in total but a lot of that was due to my calorie intake being very high and my metabolism slowing due to the medicine. At the start it gave me constipation which is a sign that it is definately having an effect on the digestive system one thing I can suggest that may help is to take your dose before bedtime then let the effects wear off whilst you are asleep also senna can help get your metabolism going again. Quitiapine/Seroquel is a very powerful anti-psychotic medication stopping it causes insomnia fact due to changes in the brains chemistry certain receptors start firing again because of the withdrawal from it and believe me after 7 days the insomnia was still there the only thing that helped with it was getting very drunk and even then I only slept for a short time after a week sleep depravation can make anyone a little crazy. Taking Quitiapine/Seroquel gets easier with time I now eat a lot less and excersize more. occasionally I have the odd night off from taking it and in spite of not getting much sleep feel much more alert once the drug has worn off. Hope this helps man stay away from the slimming meds they are just as bad.

synthesis1980 is offline New Member

Another thought If you are not taking Quitiapine for its anti-psychotic properties and just for insomnia then there are much better medications for that out there. One you could ask for is called Zopiclone this will definately make you sleep it is a hypnotic quite powerful I have taken it myself before the side effects are no where near as severe as Quitiapine, it gives you a good nights sleep and you wake up feeling ok no nasty hangover like with Quitiapine. The only thing with Zopiclone is that it can be addictive so the idea is to take it for as short a time as possible reducing the dose as you go.

mkr123 is offline New Member

Python1234 made some good points on issues concerning weight gain on seroquel. I have taken seroquel for bi polar disorder at different times in the past 14 years for bi polar disorder. During those times depending on the dosage and length of time on the medication I experienced excessive weight gain for me. I would gain 25-30 lbs. I should normally weight 128-130. I am female and five foot three with athletic build. I could not at various times lose weight on seroquel and my doctor told me that this was most likey something called "metabolism syndrome." You should research metabolism syndrome if you are not able to lose weight while taking seroquel. It is also very common on a regular dosage of zyprexa. If you have metabolism syndrome you will not be able to lose weight once it has set in and you are on the medication. I tried dieting, and exercising, where I could easily always see great results n the past when I was not on medication or not on a medication that impacts my metabolic rate. I also notice while on higher dosages of seroquel I could not experience the endorphines that are normally released during a good work out. Since this medication deals with brain chemistry and most likely hormones, it probably at certain levels in my case prevents the experiencing of the natural endorphines that make you feel good and positive after a work out. I would feel stressed and frustrated after a work out. I also had a common side effect of night eating and I have read it is common for people on seroquel. People report sort of sleep walking in the night to get something to eat and usually it is a sugary or carb food. They then forgot they even did it. This happened to me too. I found I would crave food on certain dosages of the medication that when off the medication or on a lower dose that I normally did not even want. It was totally the medication I felt since I did not do this off the medication.

If people are using seroquel for sleep, I really suggest you look for other methods. The reason being is that seroquel for many people increases your blood glucose levels and your unhealthy chloresterol numbers. If you stay on it long enough and if your glucose numbers climb, you will contract diabetis.

I recently learned a great deal about diabetis because my cat had it. I started researching it online to try to see if I could help my cat get well. My cat went into remission, but it seems cats have a special ability to do this and humans don't seem to have the same type of ability, but some people can with special help.

I probably would have avoided learning about diabetis for myself because I didn't realized how much at risk I was when I was on a high dosage of seroquel or zyprexa when my glucose numbers increased. My numbers went to 130 and I had gained 30 lbs. 130 is prediabetic, and I read that once you start getting into that range if you do not decrease the number down close to 100 you will slowly continue to creep up and become a full blown diabetic.

When I studied diabetis for my cat, the vets were less evasive in the article that they wrote about the disease. Diabetis is a disease that is very serious. It not just a shot you take and you are fine. Your body is very sick. Your pancreas is not producing insulin, and if your numbers are not controlled and even if they are, your life expectancy is lowered. Your quality of life is lowered. You are likely to get liver problems, kidney problems, heart problems, severe nerve pain. The vet articles I read in some said cases they did not like treating cats for it because the cats were just in a terminal health state and had to be constantly readjusting the insulin and had a bad long term life expectacy potential. It is very serious if a drug has a side effect of causing diabetis because it is a degenerative disease that impacts your entire body. Your quality of life will be reduced.

I knew once I learned this that I wanted to make sure my blood sugar was not increasing and that I could maintain a healthy metabolism. I am working with my doctor on other medications and solutions to prevent me from getting metabolism sydrome which is a disorder of your metabolic processes and you must stop the medication once you get it, as I understand in order to stop the metabolic symdrome. Metabolic syndrome based on what I have read is linked to diabetis and Heart disease and of course excessive weight gain.

You should test your blood glucose if you are using seroquel. You can buy a home test meter like free style light which I found was really accurate and test your levels if you are on seroquel or zyprexa to make sure you are not getting high blood sugar. It's easy to do at home. I tested my cat for 7 months. The meters are cheap, but the test strips on the free style light are expensive. You can get the test strips cheaper at amazon. Or you could get a meter at walmart that has a lower price. Its much more affordable. But I think the free style lite is really accurate and it only takes a small blood sample. It's really easy to do. YOU DO NOT WANT DIABETIS and when on the medication I found I can tend to not worry or think that much about my weight because the medication seems to blunt your thoughts to some degree. But I test myself now while on any medications that are known to cause diabetic conditions.

I would not use this medication for sleep, if that's your only problem. I had a lot of problem with insomina for many years while taking various medications for bi polar disorder. it was horrible. At once point I slowly, tapered down off the seroquel and wanted to get off it totally. I continued to take antivan while doing this. I had the type of seroquel you could cut into smaller portions. Some seroquel cannot be cut. Ask your pharmacist if you have the kind that can be cut into smaller dosages. Consult your doctor If you want to try this and get their help and at least permission. You can use a pill cutter. Slowly start to reduce your seroquel and take your time. do it over a month or two months. I found that doing this I had a good withdrawl and I felt better and better as I went down. I would used ativan 1 to 2 mg because I had bi polar disorder and it prevented me from having mania. I lost weight just by getting off the medication. My food cravings stopped. I did not excercise for a few months after I stopped taking it and lost 2/3 of the weight I gained. Before I worked out and kept gaining. I just ate what I wanted, which was normal eating. I knew it was the medication after I experienced this.

I eventually went off all my medications for bi polar disorder and was also doing other things that were unhealthy in terms of not managing stress and engaging in unhealthy spiritual thoughts and practices, like native american vision questing and other metaphysical practices that I have now identified as triggers for decompensation into mania. But going off all the medication DID SOLVE my insomina which had been plaguing me for over 12 years since doctors first put me on numerous medications for my bi polar disorder.

I did need to get back on medications in order to control my bi polar disorder and do take some medication, but I do not have mania and I do not have any insomina in the past 2 1/2 years once I had a period of not having the seroquel in my system for about 7 months. Even when I had mania when I was off the seroquel and not on medication, my insomina was cured. I had it for about 12 years off and on with all the meds they tried on me.

If you do not have bi polar disorder, or other disorder that impacts your thoughts, I don't think the risks of taking seroquel are worth it. You do not want diabetis which will harm your organs and lower your quality of life. The makers or seroquel have had several lawsuits due to causing diabetis in patients.

If you have insomina, please try to get to a sleep clinic and see if they can help you. Some things that can help many people is a light box. There is a light box that can help reset you circadian rhythms. It works really well for many people. It costs maybe $100 but it does not harm your body. Research this online. People who have mania need to be careful when using it, but people who just have sleep problems don't need to worry. A light box might be all you need. You also want to do some other holistic things to help you sleep. do not leave the tv on at night. do not use your computer or tv past about 8 pm because the light from them triggers your body into thinking it's daylight. The light box helps reset your body due to this. You can also take a warm bath using epson salts or using dead sea salts because they contain natural minerals that help relax your body. I prefer the dead sea salts and you can buy them online as cheap as epson salt at the store. SF Salt works online has great prices. but epson salt is helpful too if you want to get that at the drug store. It will also help you detox the medications and infuse magnesium though your skin which helps relax muscles and nervous system. Do not drink caffiene. Or if you do, you can try to have your last caffiene drink prior to 3 pm. I usually on drink one caffiene drink a day and it's usually in the morning. But if you can't get to sleep you might want to cut it out totally. I find that hot tea causes me less problems with sleep. Ice tea can have a lot of caffiene so becareful of it. Smoking can cause insomina, especially if you are trying to stop or smoke varying amounts. Alcohol does not help you sleep. It causes sleep distrubances according to one of my doctors. You think a drink at night might calm you down, but it impairs the quality of your sleep and your dream state and it's a toxin your body has to rid itself of. Avoid alcohol to sleep. Try not to work in your bedroom. Keep it for sleep. Pets in bed can cause sleep problems for many people. You just need to see if any of these things can be changed and help you sleep without a medication that will eventually cause health problems if taken long enough. Ativan is addicting, but if you need medication you can ask your doctor about using it with a small dosage with bendadryl. I find it works well for anxiety and helps me sleep. But if you can try some of the holistic methods because you don't have bi polar disorder, just sleep problems I would suggest it. Make sure you contact your doctor and let them know you want to taper off of the seroquel so that they can help you do it slowly. It could cause side effects if you stop to suddenly. Tapering slowly, worked well for me. I didn't have any problems.

I am not a doctor and you should always consult your doctor. These are just things I have tried and things that have both helped me and harmed me. I have not provided any research or medical articles or name of doctors and have not shared all the medications I have taken or do take. I do not encourage anyone to stop medications or even use a light box without consulting a doctor. Serious health hazards can occur when stopping any psychiatric medication and certain other medications. Please speak to your doctor and pharmacist for all side effects as well as dangers combining medication, and any other conditions or drugs or supplements you might be taking. You might be surprised how much the holistic methods will work, and how tapering down and slowly might help you as well. I didn't need anything to sleep for several months once I got off seroquel. But my mania did some back and then I did need to get immediate help and consult my doctors on medications to help me sleep, control my bi polar disorder, but also reduce the dangerous side effects. If you have a doctor that does not care about the side effects of your medications or that you might get diabetis, please seek out a different doctor, even if it takes you several tries. It's worth it. Good luck and Blessings and wellness to anyone struggling with these medications, weight and sleep problems.