Re-addicted
    painless49 is offline New Member

Default Re-addicted

I got strung out on opiates from the years 1978-1988. I was straight from 1988 up until about 2/2/05. I'm talking about nothing stronger than aspirin for 17 years. About a year ago, I developed an abscessed tooth that had to be treated. Thats when I got back involved with pain meds. I am taking dilaudid and loratab regularly. My tolerance has shot through the roof. It takes 6 loratab per day just to avoid wd's. When I got straight back in 1988, I had lost everything, and had no place to go but a rehab shelter. The point I want to make, is that it was easier to get straight back when I was broke and homeless, compared to how difficult it will be to get straight now. During the 17 years I was straight, I did those things that straight people do...acquired a home and a few assets. I really don't want to lose those things I've worked hard for, its just that its hard for me to get straight now what with not being at the kind of bottom I was at in 1988. Has anyone been in a similar situation?

smileagain is offline Member

Hi & Welcome
    My name is smileagain. I understand what you mean about hitting rock bottom, but do you want to hit that far again? I don't think so. That's what you have to keep thinking about. What is your situation, are you married, do you have kids? I don't know much about loratabs and I have no idea what dilaudid is. I do know about vicoden. I also know about how tolerance goes up. I could take 30 vicoden a day. You have got to get a handle on it and decide what to do. There is a new drug out there called suboxone which I am one to help with withdraws that you can take on an outpatient basis. Or if you feel you need to go into a rehab you should consider it. Write back and give me so more info. I hope i was some help.
    smileagain

painless49 is offline New Member

I'm new at this so I hope I am getting this post in the right place. Thanks smileagain for your response. Vicoden and loratab both have hydrocodone which is the narcotic, and tylenol. They come in different strengths. I get the max which is 10 mgs of hydrocodone and 500 of tylenol. Dilaudid is very similar to morphine, in fact it is made from morphine and even more addictive than loratab. I have no kids but I have lived with the same woman for over 15 years now. I average about 10 loratab a day along with about 3 dilaudid a day. I don't want to hit the kind of bottom I hit 17 years ago. At some point, I've got to either taper off or quit cold turkey. I really dread the withdrawal period that I'll have to go through. I'm thinking that if I taper off, that I might be able to avoid the withdrawals. Its really hard not to get refills when its so easy. Thanks for responding to my post.

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

Dilaudid is Hydromorphone Hydrochloride, so similar too, but not as strong as morphine. It is actually not even as strong as Oxycodone. Yes, Lortab and Vicodin are the same meds, Hydrocodone and Acetaminophen.

Now if you want a slow, gentle taper, that will let you cut down without hardly noticing, here it is:

When you take your next pill(s) take a knife and s****e or shave some off and toss the loose mess in the garbage. For about 3 days, stick with s****ing or shaving the same amount off of them, then on the fourth day, do a little more, do a little more again on the 7th and so on. Eventually you will get down to where you have nothing left to shave off, and you can walk away without the physical dependence hitting you at all. This also gives you time to deal with the cut off in your head at your own pace. I know several people that I suggested this method too, and it worked great.

This way, you avoid abrupt changes that could force you to crash right back onto the pills from the withdrawals, and you also don't get addicted to something else, such as methadone, while trying to get off of these.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

Junkie781 is offline Member

Hi Painless49:

I *completely* understand and relate to your story. I also had a really bad drug problem back in the 80's which lead to a 20 year prison sentence. I served close to 14 years of that time in the joint.

I got out 8 years ago and immediately went on the "marajuana maintenance" program [8)] I just smoked weed and drank beer. It never got out of control at all. I would just have a few beers after work, and by a few I really mean a few, like 3. And I would smoke a coupl of joints at night with the wife.

But eventually, I found online pharmacies that would dispense drugs like Vicodin with no prescription and all it took was ONE pill 4 years ago and I was off to the races.

Fast forward to 4 days ago, when I had a "moment of clarity" and decided that I had to stop or I was going to lose everything I have gained since getting out of the joint 7 years ago. I have a 6 figure income, a wife I just put though college, a mother that depends on my support....

Anyway, I came clean with my wife 4 days ago and now I'm pill free for 4 days, totally drug free for 24 hours now - I smoked a joint yesterday but it made me feel really bad, so I'm done now.

Not sure what's next for me, probably meetings, I guess, but I'm just trying to get through the rest of today without doing anything stupid.

My wife's ENTIRE family smokes pot, regularly. They all drink too. There are going to be questions, there are going to be people rolling their eyes at me, there are going to be times I will want to fit in with them, but I have to hang in there and do what is best for me.....

Anyway, if you got any small measure of comfort from my post, that's great. I wish you the best of luck.