Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 38
prozac and weight gain
  1. #1
    moyercl is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    15

    Default prozac and weight gain

    I have been on prozac for the past 11 years. The drug has been wonderful. However, I have maintained a 20lb increase in my weight and I have heard lately that it is directly related to this medication. A week and a half ago, I went off the drug. I tapered into Wellbutrin. Has anyone done this same routine. And does the weight come off after the switch? I run five miles a day and eat very well. But for the life of me I could not drop the weight that prozac put on despite all I did. So now I am off it and I am going to see how things go now. Any info would be great.

  2. #2
    scruffi is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    34

    Default

    My prozac history is almost identical to yours, including the 20lb weight gain.

    It's ironic, what could be more depressing than having to pack around an extra 20 lbs lol!

    I'm afraid to go off it and fall into a black hole though, let me know how you feel and if you lose the weight on wellbutrin.

  3. #3
    bkdaniels is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Hey moyercl, how are you doing?

    Combining proper nutrition with cardiorespiratory exercise and resistance training can not only help prevent weight gain and other health-related ailments, but also increase energy levels which can offset some of the sedative effects of medications. Cardio exercise increases the heart rate and helps to promote improved cardiac fitness, in addition to burning calories and raising metabolism.

    Since patients gaining weight often say that they are not eating more, it is tempting to speculate that there may also be a drug-induced lowering of metabolism. Thus, weight gain is due to positive energy balance, which may be explained by an increase in total calories consumed and/or a reduction in calories used by the body.

    The SSRI medications affect a brain chemical called "Serotonin." The effects of Serotonin on appetite and food intake can be mediated by activation of specific serotonergic receptors (5-HT2C receptors in the hypothalamus). Drugs that block these receptors cause weight gain in both humans and animals, while administration of drugs that stimulate these receptors result in decreased food intake, decreased subjective hunger, and weight loss.

    REFERENCE
    Michael A. Jenike, MD
    Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Director, OCD Institute at McLean Hospital

    Julie A. Jenike, MS, CCC-SLP, Certified Personal Trainer and Fitness Instructor, Certified Nutritional Consultant
    The Obsessive-Compulsive Foundation
    Medication Induced Weight Gain: What Can You Do?

    Best wishes,

    "Experience is the best teacher, but has the toughest Grades module"
    Byron K. Daniels, PBT

  4. #4
    Sarah31 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Hello all,
    I just got off of paxil because I was ravenous and it made me so freaking hungry! Now the doc put me on Cymbalta which stimulates the other neurotransmitter-norepinephrine. It is the first type of drug like this (I think) and if Prozac was working for you and you gained weight on it then, I'd switch to Cymbalta.

    I've only been on Cymbalta for five days now and have already experienced a HUGE DECREASE IN APPETITE! Yeah, now I can lose that stinkin paxil weight. My pants are lose too. I tried the wellbutrin switch over but had some wierd allergic reaction to it...itching and rash. Not sure why. Anyways, I feel really good on this Cymbalta medication now and can focus a lot more, sleep better. Since I haven't been on it that long, I'll keep you guys posted, especially or shall I say hopefully with more weight loss.[:I]


  5. #5
    sanking111 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Hi....I have been on almost every (Anti-depressant) out there, All w/ I'll affects. However, (Prozac) was the only one that helped w/ anxiety, depression and, yes, weight loss!.Paxil put a good 15 lbs. on me but all made me sick or causing anxiety/ panic attacks. Everyone is different i know and hpe you find one right for you.
    After a year on prozac, it seemed to stop working altogether so i quit..........Luck to you!.......

    sandra king

  6. #6
    scruffi is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Sandra, I would like to also quit prozac - how'd you do it - cold turkey, taper? Any side effects or dangers?

  7. #7
    Sarah31 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Prozac has a long half life...which it essentially tampers off itself. There shouldn't be any worries about quiting prozac cold turkey. I did and I was fine. It takes the drug a while to slowly get into your system, and a while to slowly get out of your system.

    You shouldn't have any trouble, it is not an addictive drug where you would have to detoxify yourself.

  8. #8
    moyercl is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    15

    Default

    quote:Originally posted by Sarah31

    Hello all,
    I just got off of paxil because I was ravenous and it made me so freaking hungry! Now the doc put me on Cymbalta which stimulates the other neurotransmitter-norepinephrine. It is the first type of drug like this (I think) and if Prozac was working for you and you gained weight on it then, I'd switch to Cymbalta.

    I've only been on Cymbalta for five days now and have already experienced a HUGE DECREASE IN APPETITE! Yeah, now I can lose that stinkin paxil weight. My pants are lose too. I tried the wellbutrin switch over but had some wierd allergic reaction to it...itching and rash. Not sure why. Anyways, I feel really good on this Cymbalta medication now and can focus a lot more, sleep better. Since I haven't been on it that long, I'll keep you guys posted, especially or shall I say hopefully with more weight loss.[:I]


  9. #9
    moyercl is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    15

    Default

    so have you lost any more weight. I just got so frustrated that I fully came off wellbutrin as well. I am trying the natural supplement 5htp to see how that goes. Thanks for the info on cymbalta. I have looked into that before and I will keep that in mind. My gut feeling is that this 5htp will not work and I will have to back on to a prescribed medicine, however, weight is going to be my main concern. I will search for a med that works but does not gain weight.



    ty
    quote:Originally posted by Sarah31

    Hello all,
    I just got off of paxil because I was ravenous and it made me so freaking hungry! Now the doc put me on Cymbalta which stimulates the other neurotransmitter-norepinephrine. It is the first type of drug like this (I think) and if Prozac was working for you and you gained weight on it then, I'd switch to Cymbalta.

    I've only been on Cymbalta for five days now and have already experienced a HUGE DECREASE IN APPETITE! Yeah, now I can lose that stinkin paxil weight. My pants are lose too. I tried the wellbutrin switch over but had some wierd allergic reaction to it...itching and rash. Not sure why. Anyways, I feel really good on this Cymbalta medication now and can focus a lot more, sleep better. Since I haven't been on it that long, I'll keep you guys posted, especially or shall I say hopefully with more weight loss.[:I]


  10. #10
    moyercl is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    15

    Default

    about a week ago I went off all of the meds. This is new ground for me as i do need to take them. To try to offset the effects I am taking 5htp and it does seem to be taking the edge off. In addition, I have been able to lose a couple pounds, which I was never ever able to do with the other meds.




    quote:Originally posted by scruffi

    My prozac history is almost identical to yours, including the 20lb weight gain.

    It's ironic, what could be more depressing than having to pack around an extra 20 lbs lol!

    I'm afraid to go off it and fall into a black hole though, let me know how you feel and if you lose the weight on wellbutrin.

  11. #11
    moyercl is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    15

    Default

    I wish I could say that I believe you, but I truly am very nutrious in what I eat and I work out very hard. There is no reason in the world that my weight should be where it is. My thryoid is also functioning correctly.



    quote:Originally posted by bkdaniels

    Hey moyercl, how are you doing?

    Combining proper nutrition with cardiorespiratory exercise and resistance training can not only help prevent weight gain and other health-related ailments, but also increase energy levels which can offset some of the sedative effects of medications. Cardio exercise increases the heart rate and helps to promote improved cardiac fitness, in addition to burning calories and raising metabolism.

    Since patients gaining weight often say that they are not eating more, it is tempting to speculate that there may also be a drug-induced lowering of metabolism. Thus, weight gain is due to positive energy balance, which may be explained by an increase in total calories consumed and/or a reduction in calories used by the body.

    The SSRI medications affect a brain chemical called "Serotonin." The effects of Serotonin on appetite and food intake can be mediated by activation of specific serotonergic receptors (5-HT2C receptors in the hypothalamus). Drugs that block these receptors cause weight gain in both humans and animals, while administration of drugs that stimulate these receptors result in decreased food intake, decreased subjective hunger, and weight loss.

    REFERENCE
    Michael A. Jenike, MD
    Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Director, OCD Institute at McLean Hospital

    Julie A. Jenike, MS, CCC-SLP, Certified Personal Trainer and Fitness Instructor, Certified Nutritional Consultant
    The Obsessive-Compulsive Foundation
    Medication Induced Weight Gain: What Can You Do?

    Best wishes,

    "Experience is the best teacher, but has the toughest Grades module"
    Byron K. Daniels, PBT

  12. #12
    Sarah31 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Hello all,
    Still going strong on Cymbalta. So far I've lost 8 pounds, not joking! I haven't been as hungry or crave anything. I have noticed a newfound craving that I lost for a while because of all these drugs....uh...my sex drive. I feel like it is back. Weird. You know how with the other drugs-SSRI's and how they inhibit that. Well, hmmm....looks like this one doesn't. I'll get back to you on that. But WOW...that is interesting. [8D]

    I've never heard of this 5htp herbal remedy, but I know with the herbal drugs they are not as closely monitored or watched by anyone. I actually feel safer taking drugs that the FDA has approved and watches more closely.

    Back to Cymbalta..I'm still having some great luck with it. I'll still keep you all posted.

  13. #13
    kentuckywoman is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    2

    Default

    what dosage are you taking? I have been on Cymbalta for over 1 week now, 30 mg. and he will increase it to 60 mg. in another week. I gained 20 pounds on Effexor and lost it all plus some when I got off of it with a lot of hard work and determination. I went from a size 10 while on Effexor back down to a size 6 after getting off of it. I loved Effexor but the weight gain was too much and it was steadily increasing. It took over a year for the weight to pack on and so slowly I hardly noticed it at all. That's what scares me about this new Cymbalta I'm on. I'm afraid of the weight gain again. Did you immediately feel good on this drug? I have slight nasea and I feel sluggish. Maybe it's only temporary?



    quote:Originally posted by Sarah31

    Hello all,
    Still going strong on Cymbalta. So far I've lost 8 pounds, not joking! I haven't been as hungry or crave anything. I have noticed a newfound craving that I lost for a while because of all these drugs....uh...my sex drive. I feel like it is back. Weird. You know how with the other drugs-SSRI's and how they inhibit that. Well, hmmm....looks like this one doesn't. I'll get back to you on that. But WOW...that is interesting. [8D]

    I've never heard of this 5htp herbal remedy, but I know with the herbal drugs they are not as closely monitored or watched by anyone. I actually feel safer taking drugs that the FDA has approved and watches more closely.

    Back to Cymbalta..I'm still having some great luck with it. I'll still keep you all posted.

  14. #14
    moyercl is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    15

    Default

    How long did it take you to lose the weight from Effexor? I am now going through that same issue, except I used prozac. I also work out very hard and eat well.


    quote:Originally posted by kentuckywoman

    what dosage are you taking? I have been on Cymbalta for over 1 week now, 30 mg. and he will increase it to 60 mg. in another week. I gained 20 pounds on Effexor and lost it all plus some when I got off of it with a lot of hard work and determination. I went from a size 10 while on Effexor back down to a size 6 after getting off of it. I loved Effexor but the weight gain was too much and it was steadily increasing. It took over a year for the weight to pack on and so slowly I hardly noticed it at all. That's what scares me about this new Cymbalta I'm on. I'm afraid of the weight gain again. Did you immediately feel good on this drug? I have slight nasea and I feel sluggish. Maybe it's only temporary?



    quote:Originally posted by Sarah31

    Hello all,
    Still going strong on Cymbalta. So far I've lost 8 pounds, not joking! I haven't been as hungry or crave anything. I have noticed a newfound craving that I lost for a while because of all these drugs....uh...my sex drive. I feel like it is back. Weird. You know how with the other drugs-SSRI's and how they inhibit that. Well, hmmm....looks like this one doesn't. I'll get back to you on that. But WOW...that is interesting. [8D]

    I've never heard of this 5htp herbal remedy, but I know with the herbal drugs they are not as closely monitored or watched by anyone. I actually feel safer taking drugs that the FDA has approved and watches more closely.

    Back to Cymbalta..I'm still having some great luck with it. I'll still keep you all posted.

  15. #15
    kentuckywoman is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Hi Myoercl: It took me only 2 months but I did it by joining weight watcher's on-line and exercising. I had never before gained weight and the weight did not just automatically come off when I quit Effexor. Unfortunaltely, it seems I am unable to function normally without medication. Wellbutrin did nothing for me and I so wanted it to because it doesn't cause weight gain. Now I am on this Cymbalta and scared to death that I'll gain even though I am keeping up my good eating and exercising habits. I'd love to hear from others that are having good experiences on this drug!


    quote:Originally posted by moyercl

    How long did it take you to lose the weight from Effexor? I am now going through that same issue, except I used prozac. I also work out very hard and eat well.


    quote:Originally posted by kentuckywoman

    what dosage are you taking? I have been on Cymbalta for over 1 week now, 30 mg. and he will increase it to 60 mg. in another week. I gained 20 pounds on Effexor and lost it all plus some when I got off of it with a lot of hard work and determination. I went from a size 10 while on Effexor back down to a size 6 after getting off of it. I loved Effexor but the weight gain was too much and it was steadily increasing. It took over a year for the weight to pack on and so slowly I hardly noticed it at all. That's what scares me about this new Cymbalta I'm on. I'm afraid of the weight gain again. Did you immediately feel good on this drug? I have slight nasea and I feel sluggish. Maybe it's only temporary?



    quote:Originally posted by Sarah31

    Hello all,
    Still going strong on Cymbalta. So far I've lost 8 pounds, not joking! I haven't been as hungry or crave anything. I have noticed a newfound craving that I lost for a while because of all these drugs....uh...my sex drive. I feel like it is back. Weird. You know how with the other drugs-SSRI's and how they inhibit that. Well, hmmm....looks like this one doesn't. I'll get back to you on that. But WOW...that is interesting. [8D]

    I've never heard of this 5htp herbal remedy, but I know with the herbal drugs they are not as closely monitored or watched by anyone. I actually feel safer taking drugs that the FDA has approved and watches more closely.

    Back to Cymbalta..I'm still having some great luck with it. I'll still keep you all posted.

  16. #16
    moyercl is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    15

    Default

    I did wellbutrin for about a month and I gained weight. You did not say, but did you? I hear mixed reviews with the Cymbalta. Unfortunatly I am like you and need something. But I am going to try without for awhile. I mentioned the 5htp. I don't know if that was you or another person. But I have been on it now for like over two weeks and it seembs to be doing about 90% of the job. Did you ever look into that. whatever it is it effects serotonin. Even though I exercise vigorously, I haven't really lost the weight I would have expected too after being off the prozac for a month and a half now. I am beginning to wonder if the 5htp sort of acts like the prozac and keeps the weight on.


    quote:Originally posted by kentuckywoman

    Hi Myoercl: It took me only 2 months but I did it by joining weight watcher's on-line and exercising. I had never before gained weight and the weight did not just automatically come off when I quit Effexor. Unfortunaltely, it seems I am unable to function normally without medication. Wellbutrin did nothing for me and I so wanted it to because it doesn't cause weight gain. Now I am on this Cymbalta and scared to death that I'll gain even though I am keeping up my good eating and exercising habits. I'd love to hear from others that are having good experiences on this drug!


    quote:Originally posted by moyercl

    How long did it take you to lose the weight from Effexor? I am now going through that same issue, except I used prozac. I also work out very hard and eat well.


    quote:Originally posted by kentuckywoman

    what dosage are you taking? I have been on Cymbalta for over 1 week now, 30 mg. and he will increase it to 60 mg. in another week. I gained 20 pounds on Effexor and lost it all plus some when I got off of it with a lot of hard work and determination. I went from a size 10 while on Effexor back down to a size 6 after getting off of it. I loved Effexor but the weight gain was too much and it was steadily increasing. It took over a year for the weight to pack on and so slowly I hardly noticed it at all. That's what scares me about this new Cymbalta I'm on. I'm afraid of the weight gain again. Did you immediately feel good on this drug? I have slight nasea and I feel sluggish. Maybe it's only temporary?



    quote:Originally posted by Sarah31

    Hello all,
    Still going strong on Cymbalta. So far I've lost 8 pounds, not joking! I haven't been as hungry or crave anything. I have noticed a newfound craving that I lost for a while because of all these drugs....uh...my sex drive. I feel like it is back. Weird. You know how with the other drugs-SSRI's and how they inhibit that. Well, hmmm....looks like this one doesn't. I'll get back to you on that. But WOW...that is interesting. [8D]

    I've never heard of this 5htp herbal remedy, but I know with the herbal drugs they are not as closely monitored or watched by anyone. I actually feel safer taking drugs that the FDA has approved and watches more closely.

    Back to Cymbalta..I'm still having some great luck with it. I'll still keep you all posted.

  17. #17
    alan1 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Yeah Prozac do cause weight gain to most people. I know a friend of mine who is on Prozac fo quite some time, and had gained a lot of pounds.

  18. #18
    moyercl is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    15

    Default

    thanks for the info. Its good to find out what other peoples reactions are to the same drugs



    quote:Originally posted by alan1

    Yeah Prozac do cause weight gain to most people. I know a friend of mine who is on Prozac fo quite some time, and had gained a lot of pounds.

  19. #19
    Sarah31 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Hi guys,
    I'm on 20mg's the lowest you can go. As I understand it, Cymbalta is a pretty strong antidepressant...I think? I wouldn't want to go any higher. I'm still not hungry and feel fine. For me, Cymbalta worked right away, the first day. I could fee a definite change. Also, I experienced the same side effects as you (Kentucky)...the nausea which went away about 5 days later. So, I missed a does today and I'm really dragging....I've got to get to that pharmacy.

  20. #20
    moyercl is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Glad to hear you are doing well on 20mg. You know you need the stuff when you can feel a difference the first day that you take it. I am the same way. (that is, with the prozac). it has been almost two months since I have been off my eleven year dose of prozac. I am doing well. I have had some frustrating days. I am a little more tense than I was. I also have more motivation now. Not that I didn't before, but I notice a significant difference in the amount of projects that I am taking on around the house. My exercise has increased even more and still eating well. My extra twenty pounds have not even moved yet though. I guess it is going to take me some time to readjust. I was hoping for sooner changes. The 5htp is defently taking the edge off. I think I would notice my miserable self from before the prozac if I wasn't taking it. I wish I could try the cymbalta that you are speaking of, but I can't even risk gaining any more weight at this point. for me, when I was on prozac I didn't gain weight because I ate more. I ate moderatly. So it makes me think that the drug itself slowed my metabolism down so slow that I hardly even needed any calories per day. Therefore, whatever I ate was in fact more than my body needed.

    Take care



    quote:Originally posted by Sarah31

    Hi guys,
    I'm on 20mg's the lowest you can go. As I understand it, Cymbalta is a pretty strong antidepressant...I think? I wouldn't want to go any higher. I'm still not hungry and feel fine. For me, Cymbalta worked right away, the first day. I could fee a definite change. Also, I experienced the same side effects as you (Kentucky)...the nausea which went away about 5 days later. So, I missed a does today and I'm really dragging....I've got to get to that pharmacy.

  21. #21
    sunflower101 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1

    Default possible new prozac user

    Hi i am contemplating about starting prozac but i am afraid of the side effects. From reading the posts, my biggest concern is the weight gain. Any suggestions about other options or any comments?

  22. #22
    summer-girl is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moyercl View Post
    Glad to hear you are doing well on 20mg. You know you need the stuff when you can feel a difference the first day that you take it. I am the same way. (that is, with the prozac). it has been almost two months since I have been off my eleven year dose of prozac. I am doing well. I have had some frustrating days. I am a little more tense than I was. I also have more motivation now. Not that I didn't before, but I notice a significant difference in the amount of projects that I am taking on around the house. My exercise has increased even more and still eating well. My extra twenty pounds have not even moved yet though. I guess it is going to take me some time to readjust. I was hoping for sooner changes. The 5htp is defently taking the edge off. I think I would notice my miserable self from before the prozac if I wasn't taking it. I wish I could try the cymbalta that you are speaking of, but I can't even risk gaining any more weight at this point. for me, when I was on prozac I didn't gain weight because I ate more. I ate moderatly. So it makes me think that the drug itself slowed my metabolism down so slow that I hardly even needed any calories per day. Therefore, whatever I ate was in fact more than my body needed.

    Take care
    Considering Prozac for anxiety - tried Lexapro years back, no relief. Cymbalta on/off twice in last 1.5 years (without relief) with 8-10 pound weight loss initiallay, HOWEVER, when I stopped it I gained that and then some (tremendous carbohydrate cravings). A little worried about weight gain with Prozac... (BTW - I am a dietitian and know all about calories in/out balance to lose weight, but these meds can really reak havoc on cravings)
    tc

  23. #23
    Lisvan is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1

    Default prozac and weight gain

    Hi moyercl,
    Being on prozac does indeed effect the weight changes, weight gain I mean And the worst part of it is that you don't really understand that it's the main reason. You eat a bit more because it increases your appetite but not as much as to gain the amount you have, and because of beiing careless about anything it doesn't seem much of a problem at first!! I know, been there ! But don't worry since you've figured it out and now you're off it so even slowly(up to 3 months max I guess) the drug will completely be out of your system and your body will function right. Dont want to depress you but your mind can mess around with you. I began to feel very angry all the time then became severely depressed but it doesn't mean it wiill effect you the same way..
    Anyhow keep up your work outs and eat right and don't let yourself down because at first it might seem it's no help at all but within few months you'll see the change and it will go rapidly after a while.. wish you the best, you are not alone there are many people going through the similiam experiances so try to be positive. .

  24. #24
    Buggy1 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1

    Default Prozac weight gain?

    Hello,
    I have been reading the posts about prozac and its side effects. Did you in fact start it and gain weight? I have taken Paxil for the last 8 years and was told to switch to Prozac. I don't want to if it is the same thing/effects. Any info? Thanks.


    Quote Originally Posted by sunflower101 View Post
    Hi i am contemplating about starting prozac but i am afraid of the side effects. From reading the posts, my biggest concern is the weight gain. Any suggestions about other options or any comments?

  25. #25
    Mrnd is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scruffi View Post
    Sandra, I would like to also quit prozac - how'd you do it - cold turkey, taper? Any side effects or dangers?
    Do not quit cold turkey! You should talk to your doctor about a new medication. I was on prozac for many years. Finally one day I was having my annual physical and a quest doctor saw me. She asked me specific questions about the side effects of prozac. She changed me over to Wellbutrin. What a difference. Unfortunately, we do develop a satiation to the meds over time. I am now on my 6th year of Wellbutrin and have recently needed to add a minimal dose of anxiety medication.

  26. #26
    JWJunglebunny is offline New Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1

    Default prozac and weight gain

    I too was on 20mg of prozac for 6 years and during this time particularly the last 6 months (it quit working on my depression during this time as well) I gained a good 30lbs in spite of being very healthy and very physical. I weaned off of the prozac with welbutrin for about 5 weeks, then on to St. John's wort. I also started taking 150mg of lithium during this wean off phase (diagnosed with BP1) I feel FANTASTIC, but the weight is staying and I am working out like crazy! My next step is to quit the lithium. Anybody else go through this in spite of calorie restrictions and exercise?

  27. #27
    landonmarsh is offline New Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1

    Default

    moyercl!!! It sounds like we are going through the exact same thing!! I have been fretting hardcore for the last couple of months because I gained about 20 pounds when I was on Prozac. I was on it for about a year and now I have been off of it for exactly two months with NO RESULTS!!!

    Its driving me absolutely insane!! I had my thyroid checked by my doctor and that came back in the normal range (1.47), and I just keep thinking that it is going to go...but its not! Its so hard just because I dont know whether I should get my hopes up about this weight coming off or not. I am a 23 year old college student and want to be playing the game but I just have not been as sharp since I gained this weight.

    I took Prozac for an OCD tendency that I have. I am going to start exercising the way that I used to, but just please keep me informed on ANYTHING that you find out so I can make plans and such. The weight came on very slowly for me. A part of me wants to believe that it is just going to go away slowly but another part of me just does not want to get my hopes up about it.

    Whatever the case...I think they need to make effective antidepressants that dont have such a long half life!!! I've heard that it takes about five half lives before a substance can be considered as out of your body. Norfluoxetine, which is the biologically active part of Prozac can have up to a 16 DAY HALF LIFE. Times that by 5 and you get a whopping 80 DAYS that this substance can stay in your body.

    Anyway...keep me informed. Im turning to weight watchers and then just counting down those agonizingly hard 80 days.

    All the best,

    Landon

  28. #28
    kristytovar is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default

    So I am curious as to the results of you going off prozac, and the weight loss. I have been on it for 2 yrs now and have gained about 15 lbs. I am a pretty healthy eater, and have been working out and doing cardio for the past 5 months with no results in weight loss. Please let me know!

    Thanks
    Kristy

  29. #29
    dartan6 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1

    Smile prozac & weight gain

    I have been overweight my whole life and l have been taking prozac for approx.3 1/2 years. I cannot shift this extra weight but l never have much motivation, and l am just so god damn tired all the time. Have to push myself alot, need to have a sleep everyday in the arvo. Feel guilty l'm not doing stuff around house. Wake up get depressed at the state of the house and resort to food to feel better. l love food , chef by trade, l really enjoy all types of food. Went to see a pschyiatrist recently about my tiredness said apart from loosing some weight not much l can do, l want some miracle cure, and not for it to be to hard. Why can't life be easy for once, why is there always something to worry about. Generally though l am very hardworking person, married 20 years, 2 gorgeous kids 11 & 14. Lost our home to a business deht so am basically trying to save again for my own place again. Just the pressures annoy me however l will soldier on try to manifest lots of great things.

  30. #30
    velvetunderground is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4

    Default Curious for tomorrow

    Today I was prescribed prozac.
    I begin taking it tomorrow morning with my breakfast and coffee before I head off to work and start my day.
    I was prescribed prozac for depression, lack of ambition, apathy and past eating disorders.
    I am reading all of these posts and doing other research and now I am disappointed with the pill.

    If I am ALREADY feeling apathetic to life then why would I need to take a pill to further influence this lack of any emotion?

    If I am ALREADY having body image issues and suffer from an eating disorder that while currently is under control it still never truely goes away, then why would I take a pill to further encourage weight gain and worse, relapse?

    If I am ALREADY depressed and unmotivated then why would I take a pill that makes me feel even more despondent and miserable?

    I hope that I have a positive reaction and that there is light at the end of this dark tunnel that I have walked through for years now. I am just so tired. I feel like I could sleep forever I'm so tired; but I'm not ready to close my eyes yet. I have so much more of the world to see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22