Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By steelpony
pinched nerve in back: NEW DIAGNOSIS
    hensleyhill is offline Junior Member

Default pinched nerve in back: NEW DIAGNOSIS

Is there anyone who has had this problem. whhat did you take for pain. Nothing helps me. I pace the floor and cry for mercy. I don't go to the surgeon for another month. I don't even know he is gonna be able to do. All I know is it hurts. I can't even go to the bathroom without pain from strain.

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

Yes, I have a permanent one and they can't do anything to fix it. My sacral never is impinged which radiates down through my left hip and leg.

The only things I have found that help, even a little, is Oxycodone and Morphine. I have the generic for MS Contin that I take twice a day and then an Instant Release Oxycodone for breakthrough pain. Even these heavy narcotics don't alleviate all my pain, but they do at least take the worst of the edge off so I can function and I am not screaming in pain and crying.

When you have pain that is that intense, you really have to have something long acting to help manage it, the regular, instant release pain meds will not cut it at all. They only last a few hours, so then when they wear off, you are in misery again.

Another thing I have found that helps is Glucosamine and Chondroitin. They are much touted for pain relief and I didn't believe it until I tried it. It actually does help. I have been taking them every day along with my prescription meds, and I have actually had some days where my discomfort was minimal and I felt almost normal again. Ibuprofen can also help since the nerve tends to get inflamed where it is pinched.

So here is my daily med regimen, just to ease the pain enough so I can function and take care of my family:

2 a day of Morphine Sulfate Extended Release 60mgs

2 a day, as needed, of Morphine Sulfate Extended Release 15mgs (That way if I have a good day, I don't have to take so much of it)

3 a day, as needed, of Oxycodone Instant Release 5mgs for breakthrough pain.

3 a day, as needed, of Ibuprofen 800mgs for inflammation and migraines caused by my spinal problems.

2 a day of Glucosamine and Chondroitin.

So, on a bad or even average day, it takes a lot of pills to enable me to move and fuction.

I am so sorry you are suffering. A pinched nerve is miserable, I do understand what you are going through. I am not sure what the surgeon will be able to do, most times, if your spine is normal, unlike mine, they can relieve it with just some physical therapy. Why haven't they had you doing that? Basically, they just have to find where, along your spine, it is pinched, they do therapy to move those discs out and release the nerve, then more therapy to get the discs back in place, sans the nerve, and strengthen them and the surrounding muscles so they stay there.

The pain in the bathroom is another well known misery for me, it sure sounds like you have a pinched sacral nerve just like I do. It starts just below mid spine and radiates down through your lower back, hip joints and into your legs. You might also get some addition relief from using a heating pad or thermal pillow on the spot directly where the nerve is impinged. I know it will hurt like hell, when you first press something on that spot, but that won't last long.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

yabatab is offline Junior Member

Ask your doctor or surgen for a referel to a pain clinic.

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

And if they give you a referral to one, make sure it is an actual pain management clinic, before you go to the trouble of going.

My doc wanted me to go, and because of my problems causing pain, I was way more than willing. They set up the appointment and I was very, very happy to go. When I showed up for my first appointment, and just getting there was dire agony as the office was almost an hour away from us and you know long car trips do not agree with pain, they sent me home, the doc had an emergency and couldn't be there to see me. AUGH! So frustrating.

So they set me up a new appointment, I was still so desperate for help that I didn't care, I would suffer a few more weeks, I had already been miserable for so long that it wouldn't make much of a difference. So anyway, to babble onward, I patiently waited for the next appointment. I was so happy that day, I called before leaving to make sure it wouldn't be changed again, and set out with total hope of help. I got there, filled out a mountain of paperwork, including these little pictures of your body where they have you show the painful points and the corresponding papers where you describe the pain.

Waited almost an hour, then the nurse took me back. She glanced at my papers and asked how long ago I had surgery and why I didn't list it. I told her I hadn't had any surgery since I was 20 and had to have my tonsils out, so she looked at me funny, then left the room. I stood there, still very hopeful for another 20 minutes then another woman came in. She asked me what my condition was, turns out my docs office had only told them back pain and nothing else.

I explained to her all the details of my spinal problems and she said, well we don't treat that kind of stuff here. The doctor won't prescibe meds and handle chronic pain. I was floored, I mean they billed themselves in their ads and in the phonebook as a Pain Management and Post-Surgical Care Clinic. That was what the sign on their office door said, that was how they answered their phone, that was what all their paperwork said, and why my doc had sent me there.

Well she said that they didn't have a dedicated full time doctor, the one they had was only there part time and he didn't want to have to put in the time it would take to monitor chronic pain patients on narcotic regimens. So he refused to fulfill that part of the practice and he only did small procedures such as steroid injections for post-surgery patients to help them heal and minimize swelling and inflammation.

Well that did it for me right there, after the time I had spent hoping for help and relief, it was such a blow that I burst into tears. Well she said she would talk to the doc, but didn't hold out much hope of him changing his policy, so she went out and after awhile came back in with the doctor. He basically told me the same thing, he said the injections he did would not help my condition, but very nicely offered to give me one anyway! Well that was it, I stormed out of there in tears. I didn't even say anything to my husband in the waiting room. He came chasing after me to see what was wrong and when I told him, he couldn't believe it either. Our little boy was with us, he was only about 9 then, and I felt so bad because he got so upset and worried about mommy and what was wrong.

All I could do for the longest time was stand there and hug and hold him and reassure him that everything was alright, even though I was still in tears. I called my doc, they fit me in right away that afternoon, and when I told them what had happened, they couldn't believe it either. They really thought they were sending me somewhere to get help, I mean this place was even listed in the directory of the hospital it was affiliated with as doing chronic, severe pain management, with doctor's who "specialize" in severe pain relief. Then to discover there was only one doc, who didn't want to put in the time to handle it, well it was just astounding to all of us.

Anyway, most docs, of course, due to DEA crackdowns, are reluctant to prescribe narcotics of any kind and when they do, they want to stick with the mild stuff that they can easily validate giving to a patient. So I was stuck with Ibuprofen and Darvocet. At my next appointment, the doc in charge didn't want to sign any narcotics scrips at all, I guess a colleague was under DEA investigation and she was really freaked out about it, so they asked me to try something non-narcotic again, and even though I had tried other stuff before, such as Celebrex, Vioxx, and Ultram, I have always fully cooperated with my doc, so I agreed. They prescribed Neurontin 100mgs once a day, I had some mild relief, but not much, so they upped the dose until eventually I was on 300mgs three times a day and then suddenly it just quit helping at all. So then they added Cymbalta, an SSNRI antidepressant that is supposed to also help block the pain receptors and help with chronic nerve pain. I honestly and whole heartedly took both exactly as directed for over 6 months, giving it plenty of time to work and they did NOTHING.

By this time, it was well over a year that I had been trying all these other non-narcotic options. I was perfectly willing to try almost any solution to my pain, both Neurontin and Cymbalta have worked wonders for some people. But as my condition detoriated, my pain worsened and I finally hit the point where I could barely walk and went in for a docs appointment doubled over in pain, I couldn't stand upright and could barely walk, the nurse had to help me from my seat in the waiting room, into the exam room and up onto the table.

Before this though, I began to do a little experiment with the Neurontin to see if it was making any difference at all. I slowly cut my dose down until I wasn't taking any and it didn't change anything, so when I told the doc this, they agreed it was time for something strong. As luck would have it, a doctor who had recently taken training and specialization in pain management had joined my docs practice. So now I am under his patient list, and first we started with Oxy IR, but that didn't relieve all my pain, so they added the time released Oxy, then after a few months, my insurance revamped and won't cover Oxy, so they had to switched me to MS Contin.

Anyway, when you do get someone who knows what they are doing for pain management, you won't believe the difference it makes. My quality of life has seriously and tremendously improved, even though I am not pain free. It does take some playing around sometimes, and patience on your part while they try to find the right combo or meds that works to help you, but it is well worth it. It really all depends on the person, some people, like I said, have miracles with the non-narcotic options, some people don't. Some people can get relief from very low narcotic doses, as yabatab said about his dad's pinched nerve, he can manage his pain with the bare minimum of meds, and for some others it takes very potent drugs in high amounts to alleviate their pain.

I wish you the best of luck, and yes, looking into pain management could really help you a lot.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

steelpony is offline Junior Member

from my experience, surgeons dont prescribe pain meds. If your regular doctor wont give you something you will have to go the pain mgmt route. I believe there is something that will help, its just a hit or miss until you get the right one or right combination. And of course, you have to find someone who actually Cares and believes you!!
    good luck. It makes me so angry to see someone in pain when its so.. unnecessary. Screw the DEA. these people would be on their knees if they had a hangnail, begging for a shot!! but they seem to think all pain pts want is to get high or get rich selling them. After so many yrs on pain meds, its impossible to get high!! and if youre in pain the last thing youre going to do is sell those meds. Oh well, I wish you the best of luck.

ellen
    rozanne likes this.

ginafl2 is offline Member

I had one too, 800mg ibuprofin every six hours. There is a stretch you can do for your purofomis muscle too, that's the big muscle in your butt. Pain meds just cover up the pain they do nothing to help. You may want to have a cat scan and make sure it's not a buldging disk. I was hooked on pain meds for 4 years because of low back problems, there are things you can do that don't include pain meds.

hensleyhill is offline Junior Member

I HAVE BEEN TO THE PAIN MANAGEMENT DOCTOR. HE SAYS I HAVE 3 BULGING DISCS AND OF COURSE 3 PINCHED NERVES TO MATCH. NOTHING CAN BE DONE ABOUT THE NERVES. I AM SCHEDULED TO SEE THE SURGEON ON APRIL 6TH. PRAY FOR ME. I DON'T KNOW WHAT HE WILL WANT TO DO. HE IS IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE BEST IN THIS AREA. I WILL BE IN GOOD HANDS AND INSTRUMENTS.

ginafl2 is offline Member

I have two bulging discs in my back. I went two and a half years undiagnosed and as a result got hooked on vicodin. Anyway, I had two epidurals and the second one worked. I have been pain free for almost a year. I do get a little bit of pain in the morning but after 45 min of moving around I feel better. You might want to try epidurals before surgery. I know they don't work for a lot of people but the second one worked for me. Good luck, let us know how it turns out. Keep up with the ibuprofin, it will help a little.