Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Percocet Withdrawal
    familygirl is offline New Member

Default Percocet Withdrawal

My husband has been taking percocets for the past 3 years. He began at one or two per day, 3 years ago. At his worst (just last month) he was taking 45-50 percocets per day. He finally stopped last month, but he is having a really difficult time with the withdrawal symptoms. The first week was the worst. He is now into week 3 of being clean, but he still has a fever all day, every day (99.4). He also has body aches all day, every day. He cannot sleep and he is either anxious or exhausted thoughout the day. We both thought the withdrawal symptoms would be gone by now. Does anyone know how much longer he will have to suffer with these symptoms?

dizzy23 is offline Senior Member

I personal don't know anything about perc withdrawals but here is a website about withdrawals that might help.Good luck.

http://www.addictionwithdrawal.com/percocet.htm

Debbie

Try to be correct!But not always successful!

Debbie,

Thank you very much.

Hope it helps!!Sorry I could not be more help.Don't want to give opinion on something I know nothing about.

Debbie

cluelessNJ is offline Senior Member

Is he eating? Drinking a lot of fluids? I know it takes time for your body to replenish it self. It does get better. I know I felt pretty bad for about a month. Drink lots of water! It will help flush his system. Take vitamins. One with B-12 for energy. I take a multi vitamin. It does help.

Not so clueless,

CLEAN DATE 1/23/06

He really doesn’t feel like eating, but he is trying to drink lots of water. I’m worried about the fever. Is this normal?

quote:Originally posted by familygirl

He really doesn’t feel like eating, but he is trying to drink lots of water. I’m worried about the fever. Is this normal?

Percocet Withdrawal symptoms include but are not limited to:

feeling as though you have the flu
    gastrointestinal distress
    anxiety
    nausea
    insomnia
    muscle pain
    fevers
    sweating
    runny nose and eyes

Debbie

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

When you take opiates in large quantities and for a long time the receptorsin your brain actually change shape.Your seretonin and dopamine levels drop off.When you suddenly stop taking the opiates then there is nothing there to fill the receptors and you go into withdrawls.It takes a while for the brain to make enough endorphins to fill these receptors and it also takes time for the seretonin and dopamine levels to return to normal.He may have depression symptoms for up to a year.If he doesn't shake the depression within a month after quitting then he should see his doctor and tell him he's depressed.He could tell the doctor the truth which would be best but alot of times people don't like to tell the doctor that they are an addict.If he's not eating then get him to take a multi-vitamin everyday and keep the fluids in him.Also if he can get out and start walking.Exercise like walking helps promote endorphin growth.It takes time but things will get better.Good luck and hang in there....Dave

EasyMeds is offline Banned

I would also throw in that if he is having difficulty eating get some Ensure. That will help with nutrition. Also sports drinks like Gatoraid will help with electrolites.

David

PercWithdrawer is offline New Member

Default How long will this depression last?

I first withdrew from percocet back in '97 after taking it for about 7 months (for knee surgery and a subsequent herniated disk). I remember feeling depressed for about a week; the withdrawal made me sleep a lot. Now I'm withdrawing again after being on it (off & on) for about 9 months (for lower back pain due to that same disk leaking disk fluid). I wish I could find an easy way to get off and stay off. I have about 40 pills left (5/325 mg), and plan to put them in a safe to help me resist temptation. Sometimes I think I'm "inventing" back pain to give me an excuse to take them. They give me energy, but after a few days, I'm exhausted, especially because they interfere with my normal REM sleep, and often cause strange dreams. (I recently got through some tough graduate courses on percoset--but they probably caused undue stress because I had a bad back pain recurrence.) I took 1.5 pills yesterday (i.e., 7.5 mg), and I'm feeling weak, lethargic, and depressed right now. I'm praying that God will help me through this. I just turned 54, had a drug & drinking problem when I was younger (i.e., in the late '60s through the '70s), but haven't had a drink since 9/14/80. I'm not taking any other drugs. I'm in the process of looking for another job since the federal agency I work for is closing. Looking for jobs is stressful, I need to be clear-headed, and I can't use percocet to escape from the stress! Any advice appreciated! And I know I haven't increased my dosage, but I feel I'm addicted to 1-2 pills at a time. Anybody know how long I should expect to feel sluggish/depressed/lethargic?

thekodewarrior is offline New Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by PercWithdrawer View Post
    I first withdrew from percocet back in '97 after taking it for about 7 months (for knee surgery and a subsequent herniated disk). I remember feeling depressed for about a week; the withdrawal made me sleep a lot. Now I'm withdrawing again after being on it (off & on) for about 9 months (for lower back pain due to that same disk leaking disk fluid). I wish I could find an easy way to get off and stay off. I have about 40 pills left (5/325 mg), and plan to put them in a safe to help me resist temptation. Sometimes I think I'm "inventing" back pain to give me an excuse to take them. They give me energy, but after a few days, I'm exhausted, especially because they interfere with my normal REM sleep, and often cause strange dreams. (I recently got through some tough graduate courses on percoset--but they probably caused undue stress because I had a bad back pain recurrence.) I took 1.5 pills yesterday (i.e., 7.5 mg), and I'm feeling weak, lethargic, and depressed right now. I'm praying that God will help me through this. I just turned 54, had a drug & drinking problem when I was younger (i.e., in the late '60s through the '70s), but haven't had a drink since 9/14/80. I'm not taking any other drugs. I'm in the process of looking for another job since the federal agency I work for is closing. Looking for jobs is stressful, I need to be clear-headed, and I can't use percocet to escape from the stress! Any advice appreciated! And I know I haven't increased my dosage, but I feel I'm addicted to 1-2 pills at a time. Anybody know how long I should expect to feel sluggish/depressed/lethargic?
    Your depression shouldn't be that long...at least related to the percocet. you say that you are taking 1-2 pills at a time? How often? if you are taking a total of 10mg oxycodone (the addictive ingredient in percocet) every 6-8 hours you should not have a withdrawl lasting longer than a few days. Depression from this can occur, but at very high doses for long periods of time. It appears that you have other contributing factors that you may want to discuss with your physician: Failed surgical interventions, job issues. These stresses alone can create a depression far greater than an opiate addiction.

Good luck to you.

notsoperky is offline New Member

Not to hijack the post, but I also have a percocet withdrawal issue.

I shattered my ankle and had surgery 5 months ago. Initially, I took liberal amounts of Oxycontin and Percocet, but cut way back after about 2 months- the Oxycontin made me feel too drugged. My Dr. switched me to Vicodin for 2 weeks, then abruptly told me I had no more pain (um... what?), and cut me off. I still have pain, I can manage it during the day with Motrin, but at night- not so much. The kicker is that he told me over and over- "don't stop taking these too abruptly....". Yeah, thanks for that.

A friend who had had back surgery gave me 40 5/325 Percocets he had leftover, which I have been taking only at night to sleep. I have 10 left, and I'm starting to panic. Last night I tried to skip the percocet, and I was a crazy woman- tossing, turning, crying, I ripped my pillow with my teeth, cut my hand on a water glass, and was generally just nuts, and yes, the legs were very restless. I took about 10 melotonin, 3 benadryl, anything to get me to sleep- nothing worked.... so I finally took 1/2 a percocet at 5 am, fell asleep at 5:45 ish, and slept until 11am, but I still feel kinda crazy/edgy/wide-eyed. And scared.

So, I have 9.5 pills left. What do I do? Cut them in quarters to wean myself off, or stop cold turkey?

sparkey is offline Junior Member

Default 45-50 percs a day??

Quote Originally Posted by familygirl View Post
    My husband has been taking percocets for the past 3 years. He began at one or two per day, 3 years ago. At his worst (just last month) he was taking 45-50 percocets per day. He finally stopped last month, but he is having a really difficult time with the withdrawal symptoms. The first week was the worst. He is now into week 3 of being clean, but he still has a fever all day, every day (99.4). He also has body aches all day, every day. He cannot sleep and he is either anxious or exhausted thoughout the day. We both thought the withdrawal symptoms would be gone by now. Does anyone know how much longer he will have to suffer with these symptoms?
    How on earth did he take that many perc's a day without overdosing? Geesh i was taking 6 a day and thought i was overdosing many times the way my heart would tick. That is just unheard of. Are you misprinting? Or is he trying to kill himself?

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

When you've been abusing opiates for a long time your tolerance goes through the roof.I didn't much like percocet as I found it to weak after about my 5th year of abusing.There were the odd times when I would have to buy them and thery usually came in 120 pills. I would start out taking 30-40 at once and the 10-15 every hour after that.I don't know how my liver made it I guess I was very lucky.This is what I mean when I say your tolerance goes up very quickly especially when your taking the weaker quick release opiates like hydrocodone,codeine and oxycodone........Dave

justus2 is offline New Member

Default your husband and iam concerned.

hi , my name is bill. iam writing because i came across your site and concern, i went threw withdrawals a few years back on methadone. boy i tell you at that time it was like give me a gun so i can end this. after a few weeks of every symptom you can have and no body to help you i came intouch with a what i call a angel in distress. she ordered me these patches called catapres- tts-1 to put on 2 patches once a week on your shoulders and i did and what a miracle all my symptoms come under control. it works with your nervous system. because that is what gets off balance bad. all the movement cant stay still. aches sweating all come from the nerves.they been trained to be different from normal. all i know is it helped me . a family doc can perscribe this and i would look into it. i hope it helps and i feel for you both.

david95 is offline New Member

Hi, it looks like my reply is very late, from the date on your post.. Percoset is one of the worst drugs to use, if you have to use a lot of it or if you already have liver damage.. The maximum amount of acetaminophen you should have in a 24 hour period is 2000 mg, your husband was probably taking more than 26000 mg... He has probably done a lot of damage to his liver and should be seen by a doctor... acetaminophen really doesn't do any good at all unless you have a very minor headache, it is a very barbaric way to keep people from abusing pain medication and to take people off of welfare permanently...

Mike VG is offline Senior Member

How about talking with the Doctor about what's going on and that he needs something for his depression and/or anxiety. The max.on acetaminophen daily intake is 4000mg not 2000. So that should ease your mind a bit. He really does need to be under a Doctor's care. And a prescription for Effexor or Celexa.
    Mike VG
    Mike VG

Far AwayEyes is offline New Member

i have been taking percocet and vicodin for some time now.i take up to 5 a day.2 just isn't enough,and i take them every day...illegally.i want to stop,because it's taking all of my money,and i feel as though it is taking over my life.i called a suboxone clinic,and i've heard many wonderful things about this treatment.as of right now,i cannot afford the treatment.i must admit that when i have tried to stop taking them,it was hard,but i survived.from what i've read,though,it seems to be dangerous to just stop altogether.i mean,is it safe to just stop without treatment?

nicole

KathleenP is offline New Member

Red face Percocet Withdrawal

After complications from back surgery when blood clots formed along my spine, my left leg was paralyzied. I had extreme pain in my back and down my leg. Then I fell when I was alone and fractured my right wrist and have had 2 surgeries on it. I have been on percocet 10 / taking anywhere from 6-12 a day for almost 2 years. Last Fri, 4/18/08 I took my last one. I knew I had to stop and deal with the pain with Ibuprofen. The first 3 days were horrible with extreme anxiety, chills, clammy and weakness. No Food for 2 days - drink plenty of Ice Tea (decaf) sweet. Then Wednesday was better, Thursday wasn't bad and Friday was normal. Today I feel good again - Exactly 1 week after stopping. So for those who want to know how long it takes, I did it and so can you. I will say that you may want to try to take St. Johns' Wart to help with the anxiety... about 4 pills every 4 hours. Also, take some type of muscle relaxant to help with shaking - you won't need them after the 4th day. You can take Melatonin to help sleep (over the counter Herb) 4-5 pills about an hour before bed. I would not try to work during the first 4 days. Stay in bed the first 2 days. Hope this helps.

Toe Tag is offline New Member

Default Welcome to Hell! I WANT MY LIFE BACK...please help me.

White male, 54 yo, MD...Infectious Diseases, 10 years Africa, 8 years Soviet Europe. Cracked C-6 diving accident age 16. Father, Ophthalmologist, prescribed Darvon to ease pain. After father's death, continued to get Darvon for and other pain killer for additional three years. Almost caught...clean for 32 years. 2006 severely injured back while removing victim from golf cart to perform CPR. Put on daily routine of 4 Percocet tables. After several months and epidural injections my need grew to 10 tabs/day...then 20/day. It was not the pain, but the pleasure of the high. Many lies, deceptions to my wife, depression to myself. But I was high as a kite, so why worry.

However, today I am becoming clean. I know there are those who want to know how to drop the habit, tough love...you're not ready. Back soon.

Yours,

Toe Tag

greenday is offline Member

Toe Tag,
    I think it was very brave of you to admit you are a dr. It must be VERY VERY hard for you to be exposed to prescriptions all day while trying to take care of your own problems. How are you doing? I am 4+months clean from oc/perk. Just remember all the good you do for people. I really wish you the best. Check in and let us know how you are doing!

KathleenP is offline New Member

Toe Tag: I understand and it is great for people to realize that anyone, from all ages and classes can become dependent on pain medication. I am a grandmother (and worked as a marketing exec) and no one knew. Even when I went through withdrawal, no one knew. I just claimed to have the flu with a tummy bug. At one time, I was close to 12 a day (10mg ea) - but never got a "buzz" even when taking 2 at a time. Strange - huh ! I took them for pain - not for the feel. Took about 5 days to actually start to feel normal once I stopped. It was a week this past Sat. I am still in allot of pain from the complications arrising from back-surgery and I still wonder if I take just one, will I become addicted again. So, I just take the 800 Ibup. and lay on a heating pad. Good Luck !

BodyPain69 is offline New Member

I was taking about 12 total pills vicodin and percocet most vicodin about 7 years ago and it took me about 3 weeks to feel like myself again. You have to figure taking 50 pills a day would really increase the withdrawal process. It was the worst thing I ever went through, I couldn't sleep, felt like I had the flu, was sick to my stomach, I took a million showers, the showers help with the bodies fatigue, if your husband can get some ultram that will help alot with the withdrawal symptoms. Good Luck and tell him about showering and drinking alot of coffee too. It helps alleviate some of the symptoms but definetly try to get the ultram and take some of those it will really help the symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by PercWithdrawer View Post

Try to get your hands on some Ultram these are very mild pain relievers and believe for some reason it really helps with the withdrawal process. I use to take pills like crazy the most 20 a day and then have hardly any left until the doctor's appt. so I would have to make them last and I got my hands on some ultram and they really did the job. I don't have any problem whatsoever of completely stoping the Ultram also. Which is good news. Don't get hooked on the Percs I wasted the last two years doing absolutely nothing because of them, now I'm up the creek and really have to bear down and face reality before it is too late. A friend of mine died in June of an OD from methadone definitely do take that at all. Thank God he flushed his methadone pills do the drain instead of giving them to me even if asked for them he said No man I don't wanna see you get hooked on the methadone. Now he's dead. He was going through withdrawal from them and kept calling me up to give him some pills and I wouldn't give them to him because I didn't wanna see him not withdraw from the methadone and he couldn't take it and got drunk and decided that he would go see some guy who sold the methadone and he OD at the guys house. It sucks man cause he was like a soul brother to me, there aren't too many people you wanna tell your secrets too. For your own good get off them now before it is too late.

Quote Originally Posted by notsoperky View Post
    Not to hijack the post, but I also have a percocet withdrawal issue.

I shattered my ankle and had surgery 5 months ago. Initially, I took liberal amounts of Oxycontin and Percocet, but cut way back after about 2 months- the Oxycontin made me feel too drugged. My Dr. switched me to Vicodin for 2 weeks, then abruptly told me I had no more pain (um... what?), and cut me off. I still have pain, I can manage it during the day with Motrin, but at night- not so much. The kicker is that he told me over and over- "don't stop taking these too abruptly....". Yeah, thanks for that.

A friend who had had back surgery gave me 40 5/325 Percocets he had leftover, which I have been taking only at night to sleep. I have 10 left, and I'm starting to panic. Last night I tried to skip the percocet, and I was a crazy woman- tossing, turning, crying, I ripped my pillow with my teeth, cut my hand on a water glass, and was generally just nuts, and yes, the legs were very restless. I took about 10 melotonin, 3 benadryl, anything to get me to sleep- nothing worked.... so I finally took 1/2 a percocet at 5 am, fell asleep at 5:45 ish, and slept until 11am, but I still feel kinda crazy/edgy/wide-eyed. And scared.

So, I have 9.5 pills left. What do I do? Cut them in quarters to wean myself off, or stop cold turkey?
    Try to get Ultram it will drastically cut down the withdrawal symptoms. I know some doctors suck when it comes to cutting you off they just don't give you anymore pills it happened to me in about 7 years ago. Will he give you Ultram? Yes, you are right about the restless leg syndrome it is terrible when you withdraw. Showering really helps me when I was going through the withdrawal process, something about the water hitting your body, maybe you can hot tub that should really help you out with the restless leg syndrome. Good luck

sister'sfriend is offline New Member

Default ultram

bodypain........... You are aware that ultram, tramadol is very addictive. It works just like opiates as it attachés itself to the Mu just like opiates..... thus just as addictive and the with drawl would be close to with drawl from Percosets.

Just an FYI before you suggest that drug addicts began another addictive drug.

Quote Originally Posted by sister'sfriend View Post
    bodypain........... You are aware that ultram, tramadol is very addictive. It works just like opiates as it attachés itself to the Mu just like opiates..... thus just as addictive and the with drawl would be close to with drawl from Percosets.

Just an FYI before you suggest that drug addicts began another addictive drug.
    I myself have never had any such problems with Ultram and don't get high off it at all. So, for me the ultram did wonders, I guess we are all different and you have to find what works for you. Did wonders for me though and wasn't habit forming.

SweetAndScared is offline New Member

Default Ultram, and my Current problem with Percocet

Quote Originally Posted by BodyPain69 View Post
    I myself have never had any such problems with Ultram and don't get high off it at all. So, for me the ultram did wonders, I guess we are all different and you have to find what works for you. Did wonders for me though and wasn't habit forming.
    I have been on some sort of pain killer for about 4 years. I started with Ultram, and yes, I ended up having serious trouble trying to stop taking it. Unfortunately, when I went in to the ER, (I have no medical insurance, and at the time had no constant Dr), the Dr that saw me said that he was surprized I was given ONLY Ultram anyway for my condition, (severely herniated C3 disk, also causing vertabrae to fuse), and said that he was giving me Lortab instead. (Lortab is Vicodin at a 10\500 dosage most often). He said the Lortab would help me stop taking Ultram, (duh! It's a higher form of narcotic!), and help better with the pain. He also mentioned that because it was stronger, I wouldn't have to take as many as I was with the Ultram, and that yes, Ultram can be very addictive, but not with everyone. I do know that the anxiety it caused me when I didn't take it, was almost unbearable, and the pain doubled...
    Soooo... Here's where I ask advice- Unfortunately, this is where my whole problem began. Move forward 1 year later when I found a constant Dr I could afford, as he had a discount plan for self-pay patients, and he IMMEDIATELY put me on Percocet 10/325. I've been on them ever since, and that was about 3 years ago. I finally got an MRI to confirm my diagnosis, and was told that I would be stuck on the Percocet until I could find insurance i could afford, and that would treat my pre-existing condition. I've switched Dr's since then and by now, the 6 a day treatment they've had me on, (2 percocet, 3 times a day), has NOT been cutting it. About 9 months ago my tolerance level suddenly sky-rocketed. 2 at a time did NOTHING AT ALL. I went thru the vicious cycle of adding 1 pill here and there, and now I have to take 4-5 at at time for ANY pain relief. I've told my current Dr that my tolerance level is waaay out of control, and that I HAVE taken Clonidine before with the last Dr when I was feeling my tolerance go up, and it helped ENORMOUSLY with getting me back down to 6 a day. BUT, when I told him this, it was in one ear and out the other. He will NOT prescribe Clonidine, or any other medication to aid me in my tolerance issue, and I have been trying for almost 10 months now to drop my tolerance back down to 6 a day. I have not been successful at all.
    So- Here's my problem, of which I face RIGHT NOW. I just took the last of my percocet, and am not due to see the Dr for another 15 days. He has refilled early for me many times, with one excuse or another and I have now been made to sign an agreement that I was not allowed any more early fills, and if I request one, I will no longer be treated by my Dr. I know it's time to stop taking the meds, even if only for the 15 days until I see the Dr again, and this will help lower my tolerance. I don't enjoy the "high", and I don't take them in excess just for the fun of it. I'm in ALOT of pain, and I still cannot afford insurance. I'm also a High Anxiety patient, and I take 2mg Xanax 3 times a day (sometimes I have to take 2 at a time or more). I'm worried that because I already have such high anxiety, (the xanax only helps my anxiety enough for me to function), that the anxiety of stopping the percocet will be to much for me to handle. Am I in danger, or should I just bite my lip and take my Xanax and go thru the withdrawl process? I have ZERO experience in stopping the percocet suddenly, and I know I've lasted a day here and there without taking any and had severe stomach cramps and HORRIBLE anxiety, but will I make it 15-17 days? Anyone with experience, please let me know. I'm very scared due to my anxiety, and I don't know if I should do anything else. I do know that I am lucky to have Xanax while going cold turkey from the percocet, but otherwise, like I said, I know how it feels to go even just 1 day without the stupid percocet. I HATE this medication, wish I had never started it, but with this injury and lack of insurance, I'm in a catch 22.
    Any advice welcomed, as I literally just took my LAST dose, and have no more Percocet at all, and no way of getting any more for about 15-17 days.
    Thank you

Gasman2300 is offline New Member

Default I have been there

I was taking Norco for about 1.5 years to manage lower back and neck pain. I have had 2 neck surgeries for bone spurs and back surgery to perform 2 discectomies. I came on a source for free percocet, probably one of the biggest mistakes and decisions i could have made was to accept them. I went through 1000 percocets in 45 days, an average of 22 per day. I loved the euphoria and what seemed to be an elevated energy level, what a facade. The day before Thanksgiving this year i ran out and decided to go cold turkey, i could see it was affecting me in a negative way and my dependency level had really escalated. It is now Sunday, 4 days after stopping. I spent 3 days in bed sweating profusely with body and joint aches and at times severe depression. I thought about calling in some kind of intervention, but being the holidays i didn't think i could get the help i desperately needed. I am finally on my feet, the sweats have ceased and my energy level and mental well being is returning. I found a lot of fluids and crackers or whatever i could choke down helped a little. I have been addicted to many drugs in the past but have never experienced anything like this withdrawl. I also spent a lot of time praying to God to help methrough this. I own my own business and i know for a fact i would have lost it all had i not stopped. I only pray if the temptation arises again, i will have fhe fortitude to say no, i do not want to go through the hell i have lived the past 4 days. I'm sure i still have a ways to go, but it seems to get a little better each day. My heRt goes out to anyone going through this ordeal..... God Bless.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gasman2300 View Post
    I was taking Norco for about 1.5 years to manage lower back and neck pain. I have had 2 neck surgeries for bone spurs and back surgery to perform 2 discectomies. I came on a source for free percocet, probably one of the biggest mistakes and decisions i could have made was to accept them. I went through 1000 percocets in 45 days, an average of 22 per day. I loved the euphoria and what seemed to be an elevated energy level, what a facade. The day before Thanksgiving this year i ran out and decided to go cold turkey, i could see it was affecting me in a negative way and my dependency level had really escalated. It is now Sunday, 4 days after stopping. I spent 3 days in bed sweating profusely with body and joint aches and at times severe depression. I thought about calling in some kind of intervention, but being the holidays i didn't think i could get the help i desperately needed. I am finally on my feet, the sweats have ceased and my energy level and mental well being is returning. I found a lot of fluids and crackers or whatever i could choke down helped a little. I have been addicted to many drugs in the past but have never experienced anything like this withdrawl. I also spent a lot of time praying to God to help methrough this. I own my own business and i know for a fact i would have lost it all had i not stopped. I only pray if the temptation arises again, i will have fhe fortitude to say no, i do not want to go through the hell i have lived the past 4 days. I'm sure i still have a ways to go, but it seems to get a little better each day. My heRt goes out to anyone going through this ordeal..... God Bless.
    Hi Gasman
    I went through the same thing you did about 4 months ago.
    I seen where you said you prayed to God and the one thing I wanted to tell you was that I went back to church after I quit taking drugs and it was the best thing I could have ever done.It gives me the peace I need to get through this.
    But congrats to you !!! you have done a great job...
    Happy for you...Melinda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast