Percocet vs. Hydrocodone
    jaxx82 is offline New Member

Default Percocet vs. Hydrocodone

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about getting my Dr. to perscribe me Percocet instead of Hydrocodone, etc.? I have had severe lower back pain caused by a herniated disc that was the result of a bad car accident years ago (luckily the pain comes and goes for long intervals.) Hydrocodone does absolutely nothing for my pain at prescribed doses. Since I have done very well for a long time and never formed any sort of habit, I am scared to take any more than that. Percocet works wonderfully, but I have never gotten perscription for them and do not know how to go about doing so. Anyone have any advice? I also have a rebuilt ankle resulting from the same car accident. Sorry this so long, and thank you to anyone willing to help.

puppypal is offline Junior Member

Well, being that I had three ruptured disc I can 100% relate the doctors usage of hydrocodone. At least in my case. I myself, got so tired of hanging my head over the toliet that I basically got up-set over and over again. My doctor then prescribed me Phenagren to combat the sickness to take along with the hydrocodone.
    Then, amtripline,<-------------I was a complete brain dead walking dead not funtioning adult for real! But since I pitched a fit the amtripline was for the crankys.OUT THE DOOR THOSE WENT.
    But of course I was the type that can't funtion when taking phenagren...So after a long hard battle my doctor gave me percocet....Thank goodness. Because fustraited as I was, I dealt with back pain for 18 months severe and now pain level always 5......and well life had to go on. I finally ended up telling him if I can't work he can't get paid then I will no longer be able to come in for my pain.
    That is when he prescribed the medication. Today doctors think hydrocodone is a wonderful pain reliever. But for some of us folks it either does nothing (like you) and my father or the side effects (like me) keep your head hanging over the potty!

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Hydrocodone isn't much stronger then codiene and is a very poor drug to use for chronic pain.....Dave

medadic is offline New Member

have you ever been on meds for this condition ---ther is a step by step process I may be able to assist with

jaxx82 is offline New Member

I was on 5 mg vicoden just recently and right after my accident I was on a few different meds from Talwin(?) to 10 mg Lortab. Until just recently I didn't have insurance and couldn't afford to go to the Dr as often as I should, I just tried to ignore the pain as much as possible(bad move, I know). So yes, I have been on a couple of different pain meds, though some of them were for the ankle that was operated on (broke it very badly in the car accident). Thank you for your interest and your continued assistance. My appt. is Friday morning so hopefully I'll have a good idea of what to do by then.