Panic attacks due to lexapro use.
    Bek
    Bek is offline New Member

Default Panic attacks due to lexapro use.

Hi all,
    Thought that I would add my own experience with Lexapro.

I have been on it for about three months and have experienced all of the side effects, yet have remained on it in effort to give it a chance to work. Recently I've had a panic attack in the middle of the night and have not been able to recover from it. I have never had a panic attack, only anxious moments, and was so scared that I went to the hospital. Panic attack symptoms include; fast heart beat, feeling of deep dread and death, going crazy forever, nausea, diarrhea, hot & cold bursts up and down my spine & arms. I have lost, not gained weight, 12 pounds and eating fatty foods to maintain some sort of weight. I am going to my psychiatrist today with hopes that he will start weaning me off this drug, hopefully putting this awful mental state in the past. Has anyone else experienced a lexapro induced panic attack, and if so what did you do? I appreciate hearing about your experience with lexapro.
    [?]

justwhatever is offline Member

When I started taking Lexapro, I noticed that I felt calmer and more able to sleep after about three days. I still felt panicky sometimes, but at the time I was convinced I needed to take five different meds every day. I experienced panick attacks and anxiety regardless. I also noticed the sexual side effects. The worst part for me was quitting it. I think it's a very wise idea to wean yourself off of it, because I quit taking it cold turkey and I had some really bad withdrawl symptoms that lasted for a week or two. I experienced really bad chills, insomnia and depression to say the least. My boyfriend at the time was like "Uh, maybe you should get back on the Lexapro," but I stuck it out and that was over two years ago. Today I take no meds and I don't have panic attacks anymore.
    If I were experiencing what you are, I would talk to my doctor immediately. It's very likely that this drug isn't for you. If you never had panic attacks before, maybe you should evaluate your life, and ask yourself what is bothering you. From my experience, identifying what is wrong and facing it is the real battle.

amanda

annaoffmeds is offline Junior Member

I agree,
    if you've never had panic attacks before being put on lexapro, then you shouldn't be on lexapro. I actually went on lexapro because I had depression/ anxiety/ and panic disorder. The doc thought if my anxiety was under control that the panic would be too...and it worked- I still had some anxiety and depression, but no where near the debilitating experience I had before meds.
    Now, I just weaned myself off of it and am experiencing withdrawl symptoms big time (my doc suggested going down by 5mg every week)--- way too fast for me and I even went longer then the doc suggested on each dose.
    I would suggest reading the lexapro withdrawl forum just to read about proper ways to go off if thats what you decide cause theres some good insight there(and talk with your doc as well)
    hope you're doing well![^]

missusmadness is offline New Member

I've been taking lexapro for a couple of days now, and up until an hour ago, I've had no problems. I'm already feeling happier, more energetic, and alive. However, I had my first severe panic attack in 5 years. I don't know if it's a symptom of my funky mental state or if it's a side effect from the drug (my therapist tells me it's probably the former), but it's good to know others are getting similar reactions.

matewzin is offline New Member

Default Panic attacks due to lexapro use.

Lexapro has fewer and milder side-effects than other drugs in the Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI) family of drugs used in the treatment of depression and general anxiety disorders. One common side-effect of this however is weight gain which I have experienced.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 02-02-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Ice_Angel is offline New Member

I've had panic attacks before, the worst of which occurred a few years back. Said panic attack lasted roughly a week, perhaps a little more. With this panic attack, my body was wracked with twitches, most primarily in my neck, arms, and legs. I would also produce a shiver which seemed to carry all the way through my the sturnum of my chest. It almost felt as though my very heart were shaking with it. Obviously it was a horrifying experience. This experience occured without medication. Since then I was on zoloft, then later the generic, sertreline.
    However recently, my mother had felt as though I was slipping into depression as I had been staying up late and sleeping in late. However in truth it was just a matter of not wanting to go to bed when I was supposed to/not having the time to do everything I wanted during the day, so I would work at fitting everything I wanted to do into the night as well.

Regardless, my words were ignored and she talked to my doctor about Lexipro. The drug had been prescribed to a couple aunts and several of my cousins and she'd heard much praise from them over it, them stating "You won't care about anything". (lucky me, I turned out to be the exception)
    Considering these family member also were having trouble with depression and anxiety, my mom and the doctor agreed and I was prescribed Lexipro. This was only a few months ago.

As of now? For the last few days, I've been experiencing a panic attack, most extremely less significant in comparison the the panic attack of before.
    Since I'd been on lexipro for a few months now with no problems, and was under the impression that it was supposed to make the paranoia/panic attacks better, I had no reason to suspect it was making the panic attack worse/last longer. However this morning, I woke up at roughly 2 am and promptly slipped into the worst panic attack of them all for this run. I had chills and twitches which seemed to bore straight through my sturnum. It was as if I was reliving that horrible attack which plagued me those few years ago. I did manage to stop twitching, however I am still experiencing discomfort in my chest and, unexpectedly, my nether regions.
    I couldn't figure out what could have possibly triggered it, until I remembered something. Yesterday, my lexipro pills had overlapped.

I checked it out online, and sure enough I found people who had panic attacks start, and others, like mine which had gotten worse.
    If there's a risk of this happening again, I want nothing to do with Lexipro EVER AGAIN.

As of tomorrow I'm resuming taking sertreline, Who cares if I'm a little underslept from time to time because of it, at least with it my panic attacks will be under control.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 02-02-2011 at 08:25 PM.

mzdawn is offline New Member

Default panick attacks?

I am a 40 yr old female and have never experienced a panick/anxiety attack before. I am also bipolar with depression. I have been on lexapro for 5 days. 2 days ago i was sitting in my car with my daughter and i felt dizzy/lighheaded, had a weird almost tingly/numbing sensation thru my chest, spine and arms. It scared me so bad I called an ambulance. When I got to the hospital they did an EKG and some blood tests...The only thing they said t hat was amiss was by blood pressure was a lil high but nuthin to worry about...Lungs are clear and all tests were ok. They prescribed me lorazapam. I was on lexapro yrs ago and dont recall any thing like this. It happened again last night at 3 am. It is the scariest thing ive ever experienced..When its over (doesnt last long but comes in spurts) I feel almost lethargic and weak..The dr suggests anxiety but im thinkin more panic attacks. Can someoen tell me if these symptoms are familiar with panick/anxiety? I have severe dry mouth also and i think this may for sure be the lexapro...also hot and cold...chills/shivers....Someone please tell me im not goin crazy and this will get better! I have a follow up appt tomorrow with my regular Dr so I will post tomorrow and let yall kno what she says...If anyone can help me to understand this I'd be greatful!!

Anonymous Guest

Hi dawn
    Please don't worry ..I was the queen of panic attacks and no your not going crazy...sometimes we can be going thru a little stress and that can set of a panic attack, or some meds can give them to you.. or if you trying to quit some meds they will give you panic attacks...
    there are a lot of good books out there to help you deal with the panic attacks ..but what are you doing for the Bipolar ??? my son is bipolar to ..he has a real hard time with
    let us know what your doc says tomorrow
    Melinda

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

Mz... I would suggest stopping the Lexapro. I took it a few years ago and it made me nervous and jittery. There are many other antidepressants you can try. I also used to suffer panic attacks. They were exactly as you described though I've never heard anyone else describe it that way. It would last a short time but I would get a numb tingly feeling, my heart would beat so hard I'd hear it and feel it in my throat. I'd get a ringing in my ears and feel like I was aboutt to pass out or die. After 3 emergency room visits and all sorts of tests a doctor finally diagnosed it. I was given Klonopin. I has since stopped taking them as they are addictive (except for the occasional bout of insomnia). Thankfully, I have stopped getting the panic attacks too. You need to switch meds. You also need to make sure bipolar is being treated.

thank u so much...im gettin ready to go to the Dr now...I took a trazadone last night and slept for 9 hrs! Best sleep ive had in months haha...I jus feel real weak and jittery and I think this is from the lexapro...I didnt take it last night...I have been under a huge ammount of stress this past month..I also have no appetite and thats rare for me cus im overweight and always eating. Its just good to kno that im not the only one going thru this. I jus hope this wont be a forever thing. I have an appt with a therapist on t he 7th of march so will see about getting on meds. Again ty so much for ur kind words..greatly appreciated!

and yes newyork....they are sayin i may have anxiety but seems more like panic attacks to me.. I dont get pain..its a weird tingly almost like numb feeling that goes thru my chest...down my spine and arms....and my head feels weird same feeling...almost like i could pass out but i dont...i have had extreme dry mouth which im sure is the lexapro...and yes my heart feels like its beating super fast..its so scary! I have been under a great deal of stress lately so im hoping this will just be a temorary thing...as i said above...i took a trazadone last night and slept 9 hrs so that was great but i jus feel real weak and almost jittery. and very sleepy. ty so much for ur reply...its great knowing im not the only one and that maybe this will jus be temporary...when i get back from the Dr ill let yall kno what she says...thanx!

well went to the DR today. She took me off the adivan and lexapro and put me on a low dose of xanax 3x a day as needed. I will go back in a week to be rechecked. My blood pressure was high today but she thinks its stress related so she is monitoring it for now. Anyone kno if weight loss was an issue with the panic attacks? I have no appetite and have lost 5 pounds in 9 days so that worries me a lil...I took a half of a .25 mg xanax and i do feel a lil more relaxed..I have been burping alot too..not sure what thats about...

simbaman is offline New Member

Default lexapro panic attack

I've been on Lexapro for the last 9 months or so 5mg per day. Its a below therapeutic does my doctor says and it's been fine, but last week my doc increased my dose to 10mg and it was fine for a week until bam! I got a full blown panic attack that just seemed to come out of nowhere. Went straight to the hospital and was admitted for observation and was discharge just today and my doc has prescribed me 15mg's now with Xanax!

When I first got on Lexapro I got quite hyper and took clorozepam to calm me down, worked fine and then I didnt have to take the clorozepam anymore. But when I got this recent panic attack from a higher dose of Lexapro it was totally different, it was like my very first panic attack episode. Im guessing that I should have taken the clorozepam or xanax when it happened to calm me down....? Has anyone had any experience in this? I have this funny feeling that my panic attack will happen again because of these higher doses. When I say panic attack its not jitters or dry throat stuff, it's like suicidal thoughts, deep dread type of weirdness.

Walk on everyone
    Last edited by ddcmod; 04-29-2011 at 04:11 PM.

Anonymous Guest

HI sim
    I have anxiety disorder I have kept it at bay for years now, but I have high b/P and my doc put me on lisinopril and I was fine till he had me double and i started to notice I was having a lot of anxiety then went into full blown panic.. I quit taking it a couple days ago and I am feeling fine now.. so it is so strange how meds can mess you up...
    Last edited by ddcmod; 04-29-2011 at 04:11 PM.

Is that really a panic attack? I have details to identify if its panic attack or anxiety. I recommend, if the small print of panic attacks are right, you go for a counseling relatively than a medication. It's more effective.

dgleas22 is offline New Member

Exclamation My experience with Lexapro

In September of 2010 I experienced my first panic attack as well as intense anxiety. This was due to a gafe at work, sleeplessness, and lots of stress. I felt as if I were living in a dream world. Dizziness, anxiousness, anguish, depression and panic became apart of my daily life. I took Lexapro to try and offset these new and terrible feelings and return back to normal.

I took my first dose of Lexapro about 45 minutes before going to bed one night. About an hour and a half after falling asleep, I experienced my first night terror (panic attack at night). This was the worst experience of my life! My heart was beating so fast, I felt as if I didnt take action and do something quickly I would die of cardiac arrest. There was an intense heat behind my ears (where the fear center of the brain is). I didnt know what else to do so I grabbed my tennis shoes and bolted out the door in my underwear and just started running. I am not the "fitness type" but I could stand still no longer. I ran to a church and started praying to be well. This was my first experience with Lexapro, and I stopped taking it immediately.

Several months passed by with the same panic, anguish, depressed feeling. In January of 2011, my father was diagnosed with cancer and died two weeks later. At his funeral that same old feeling was with me; panic, anxiety, depression, along with a new feeling of (natural) grief. After his funeral I decided enough was enough of this bullsh*t and started on Lexapro again, this time taking it in the morning to avoid the night terrors. I began taking Lexapro in January and began feeling better after about a month. Almost a year later (November 2011), I am happy to report I feel GREAT! I am 95% back to my old self again. Of course I still experience grief from the loss of my father who died unexpectedly and way too young, but I have relief from panic attacks, anxiety, and depression.

I am posting this because I turned to this site for answers to find out just what the hell was wrong with me when I had my night terror. I am here to say Lexapro worked for me. May it be the placebo affect or whatever, I dont care, Im just glad to be me again. Anyone suffering form what I went through, hang in there, there is hope!!
    Last edited by dgleas22; 11-15-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Yannie is offline New Member

Lexapro side effects may require you to make sure to get emergency medical help if you experience any of allergy signs, and you must contact your doctor promptly if you have any of the following side effects of Lexapro, especially if they are new symptoms or if they get worse: mood changes, anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, irritability, agitation, aggressiveness, severe restlessness, mania or thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself.