Painkiller Detox.
    Runzwithscissors is offline New Member

Default Painkiller Detox.

Hey everyone,
    My name is Kate and ive been addicted to painkillers for 3 years. Im at 10 plus pills a day, I had about 300 and when I ran out last friday i begged my friend for some of his, Tuesday was day one of no vicodin i made it through the first day which was hard, I cried almost all day i took a couple of my anxiety pills (xanax) to try and relax bc i was craving so unbelievably badly i couldnt handle it. on the second day i had absolutly no energy, i was freezing cold for hours then suddenly i was really really hot/sweaty. I was tired but tossed and turned on tuesday night. I almost made it through the second day but unfortunatly around 11pm i got ahold of 50 vicodins. (im going to try and keep it at 4-8/day) I am so dissapointed in myself I just want to be free of this addiction and out of this cycle. I feel insane when i try to quit i have never had such strong urges, im not myself anymore when i dont have vicodin i dont think i would think twice about taking it from friends or family members I crave so badly that i cry its even harder bc im in college and i have class 5 days out of the week. I cant function and I know i need to detox but if i try to do it outpatient with suboxone its $700 and if i go inpatient my insurance pays for it but ive got to miss class which i just cant do... and my parents dont know the extent of my addiction. I think what i was experiancing those 2 clean days was physical w/d's which scared the hell out of me.
    (btw i went to a drug tharapist but he gave me one chance to detox on my own which i failed at then said either i detox inpatient or pay for outpatient plus i have to attend 2 NA meetings/week and everytime i come in i have to pay $20 for a drug test, 20 is way too much for sending out a drug test, though court i paid 6 bucks. i feel like this place is really making bank on peoples addictions. so i told him >> call him in a week or so when i was clean.)
    Can someone please help me I want my life back, does anyone have any advice on how to deal with the mental part of the addiction? for me thats the hardest part im so badly addicted but i dont want my parents to know bc they will be so disapointed in me and it will make our relationship even worse then it already is.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

If you can't get on the suboxone then you're going to have to go cold turkey.Here is a recipe to help people going through cold turkey opiate withdrawls ...Good luck.....Dave

Pain, Addiction & Withdrawal Support
    > The Thomas Recipe for Cold Turkey Withdrawal

If you can't take time off to detox, I recommend you follow a taper regimen using your drug of choice or suitable alternate -- the slower the taper, the better.
    For the Recipe, You'll need:
    1. Valium (or another benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, Librium, Ativan or Xanax). Of these, Valium and Klonopin are best suited for tapering since they come in tablet form. Librium is also an excellent detox benzo, but comes in capsules, making it hard to taper the dose. Ativan or Xanax should only be used if you can't get one of the others.
    2. Imodium (over the counter, any drug or grocery store).
    3. L-Tyrosine (500 mg caps) from the health food store.
    4. Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper, Magnesium and Potassium (you may not find the potassium in the same supplement).
    5. Vitamin B6 caps.
    6. Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available).
    How to use the recipe:
    Start the vitamin/mineral supplement right away (or the first day you can keep it down), preferably with food. Potassium early in the detox is important to help relieve RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Bananas are a good source of potassium if you can't find a supplement for it.
    Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you're aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5.
    During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate WD symptom.
    Use the Imodium aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. Don't take it, however, if you don't need it.
    At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate WD malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.
    Continue to take the vitamin/mineral supplement with breakfast.
    As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.
    Thomas [/i][/b]

Default dangerous to detox?

Could I die from going cold turkey?? I am going to start this detox tomorrow (I had exams to get through before) and I want to make sure its safe and that I wont die.

No!! you won't die going cold turkey from opiates.You might feel like you're dieing but you won't.Try the recipe I left a couple of posts ago.After the 5th day you start to feel alot better.Hang in there, you can do it!!!!!......Dave

Default Thank you so much!

I really apreciate you helping me out! my boyfriend and I decided to end our addictions, he doesnt have insurance so he is going cold turky, hes been really sick but hes doing everything you said so its not that bad. I started outpatient detox, and am on suboxone! I love it! I dont feel like using, its amazing. I start IOP (intensive outpatient rehab) and we are both going to 2 meetins a week. Thanks for being so kind.
    love,
    Kate

That's great news for both of you.Congradulations to both.Going through withdrawls is one of the hardest things a person can do.I'm all for doing what ever works for the indivdual.So going to meetings is great and I encourage you two to start a whole new life while staying away from the people who are still abusing.I know it's kind of harsh but everyone that's in recovery does much better if they stay away from the drug abusing community.
    Anyway, well done for both of you and use each other as support poles so to speak.Talk about your drug abuse and how you felt then to how you feel now ect.
    Don't forget to get out for a walk a couple times a day and to drink sport drinks like gatorade (stay away from energy drinks with caffeine in it ect).Good luck and hang in there......Dave

tunia is offline New Member

i have been addicted to hydrocodone for several years now. To the extent, where i was even sent to prison. I had never been one to get into trouble. Had a perfect home life, wonderful children, and a fabulous husband..all to which i have lost due to the abuse. when i couldn't get the money to buy my pills, i started making loans ( I was a loan officer) that shouldn't have been made, but i won't go there. anyway, i was charged with embezzlement, placed on three years probation, and couldn't stay off the pills, so therefore, i didn't make my monthly payments, so two months before my three years probation was over, i was sent to prison. i was there for 15 months. it was the worse nightmare any person could ever go through. but even that didn't stop me. i managed to stay clean for about 2 years..have gone to 3 treatments, 2 of which were 6 months and longer. i hate the pills..i don't even get a buzz anymore..i take about 20 10's everyday..and pay about 8 dollars a piece for them..so u do the math..i work myself to death just to do this..i have sacrificed everything that i love..and i do love my kids..but this addiction is so powerful. i wish that when i was your age (im 39 now) someone had shared with me where this addiction would lead me. i know that somethings you have to go through on your own, but please don't let this be one of them. i am so misreable. i hate myself most days due to this addiction. i am a beautiful lady, and constantly have men asking me out, and i don't go because i feel so unworthy of anything good. i want my life back and just don't know how to do it..but you are so young..do whatever you have to do to kick this..put all your efforts into getting that money for the suboxone treatments.put the efforts that you put into getting your pills..and from one addict to another, we always get what we need..so have that attitude and get that money, and get your life back on track. i pray that God will take the desire away from me for these pills and i pray the same for you.

ricktinacox9 is offline New Member

Default There is Help!

Kate:

Stop being embarassed and not telling your parents! Thats the worst thing you can do... this pain killer addiction is a wide sread problem. Get yourself and your parents educated on what this addiction is all about. Pain medications were never ment to be taken over time the pharm. companies created this drug to keep patients comming and the doctors make money selling them its a scam that is killing this nation. Your right its a big money maker get you addicted charge you for your doc. appoints, meds and then charge you to get clean. That is what this drug is all about! You are not alone. There is help. You sounded like you've been to NA before and its sounds like it was a negative experience, but NA is a great resource and if you plug yourself in with the quality experienced people who have beat this disease it will be a blessing to you. Yes I said disease because if someone had cancer they would run to ever doctor trying to seek recover. Addiction is a killer! You will eventually overdose if you do not get help. I lost 6 friends (ages 16 - 42) last year to this disease and yet no one is treating it like that. Get help! Do everything you can to get off the ********. I am living proof that it can be done and yes I still attend NA. I hated NA when I first went I HATED IT. But I hated what the drugs had done to my life more so I stuck around and now I thank God for NA. Now its a part of my life and I have a life a real life - thank God. I still hit meeting to help others, if you don't want to go to the meetings get on the internet to intherooms.com and seek help there from people who totally understand what you are going through. The first few weeks are rough I won't lie to you, its like having the worst flu that won't ever end. Get your parents to understand what has happened and its not your fault the doctor who got you addicted knew these risks. but you will recover as long as you keep remembering that you have a choice not to use. Get a doctor that wants to help treat the root and not cover it up with additional drugs and if you cant afford one, then seek govenment help. the alternative is worse no life and eventually death. Good luck! God be with you through your recovery. Remember expose the lie to truth and you will find help!

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ricktinacox9 View Post
    Kate:

Stop being embarassed and not telling your parents! Thats the worst thing you can do... this pain killer addiction is a wide sread problem. Get yourself and your parents educated on what this addiction is all about. Pain medications were never ment to be taken over time the pharm. companies created this drug to keep patients comming and the doctors make money selling them its a scam that is killing this nation. Your right its a big money maker get you addicted charge you for your doc. appoints, meds and then charge you to get clean. That is what this drug is all about! You are not alone. There is help. You sounded like you've been to NA before and its sounds like it was a negative experience, but NA is a great resource and if you plug yourself in with the quality experienced people who have beat this disease it will be a blessing to you. Yes I said disease because if someone had cancer they would run to ever doctor trying to seek recover. Addiction is a killer! You will eventually overdose if you do not get help. I lost 6 friends (ages 16 - 42) last year to this disease and yet no one is treating it like that. Get help! Do everything you can to get off the ********. I am living proof that it can be done and yes I still attend NA. I hated NA when I first went I HATED IT. But I hated what the drugs had done to my life more so I stuck around and now I thank God for NA. Now its a part of my life and I have a life a real life - thank God. I still hit meeting to help others, if you don't want to go to the meetings get on the internet to intherooms.com and seek help there from people who totally understand what you are going through. The first few weeks are rough I won't lie to you, its like having the worst flu that won't ever end. Get your parents to understand what has happened and its not your fault the doctor who got you addicted knew these risks. but you will recover as long as you keep remembering that you have a choice not to use. Get a doctor that wants to help treat the root and not cover it up with additional drugs and if you cant afford one, then seek govenment help. the alternative is worse no life and eventually death. Good luck! God be with you through your recovery. Remember expose the lie to truth and you will find help!
    Hi Rick
    I don't know if Kate will answer you she hasn't been here since 2008
    Have a great day, Melinda

keats92421 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Runzwithscissors View Post
    I really apreciate you helping me out! my boyfriend and I decided to end our addictions, he doesnt have insurance so he is going cold turky, hes been really sick but hes doing everything you said so its not that bad. I started outpatient detox, and am on suboxone! I love it! I dont feel like using, its amazing. I start IOP (intensive outpatient rehab) and we are both going to 2 meetins a week. Thanks for being so kind.
    love,
    Kate
    The best thing to do is quit cold turkey if you are not to heavy on it ... yea its 5 - 10 days of hell and months after that groggy feeling but many people rely on suboxone or methadone and the question is do you want to rely on it the rest of your life ? i mean yea u dont crave and withdrawls are not bad but thats because u are on a drug ... try and take methadone for months then quit its a hell of alot worse than pain pill withdrawls ... like i said if u wanna take another drug to get off of one drug be my guest ... doctors use it to keep there patients ... this only goes out to people who are not to heavy on it but some people are really bad were they have no choice if they dont wanna loose there job ... i took 2 weeks off and went to my moms in sc to detox 5 - 10 days and the rest is in your head ... just have to go out and get the mental strength back but it does get better ... im glad i quit cold turkey and take no drugs what so ever than to be on methadone or suboxone everyday ... now i can officially say i am clean of drugs and not sub out one drug to cure another drug ... alot of people will think im wrong but so be it ...

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

As Melinda noted in the post before yours, this thread is from 2008 - and it appears that the original poster left then. If you keep your threads organized by date, showing only the newest ones first, you should be able to find those that are still active.

God bless,
    Ruth

Kluc30 is offline New Member

I need help with cold turkey. This is the third time I'm going through this... Which after the first time I never said I would again. I'm restless, irritated and hoping I haven't lost the real me. My last dose was 15mg perc at 9 last night. I don't want to live this life anymore, hiding it from everyone but after my body detoxes I just don't feel myself so that why i go back to those, so my personallity comes back. Please help, cold turkey sucks but I can't live this life anymore. Thanks- Kelli