Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By yezdegerd
Oxycontin Withdrawal
    Bad Back is offline New Member

Angry Oxycontin Withdrawal

I was on Oxycontin for seven years after having several surgeries. December 2010 I told the doctor I wanted off the the drug. He did a 15 day taper and told me the first five days would be the worst. Wrong!!!! The 5th day was the beginning of the worst 15 days of my life. I had on three coats, soaked thru two layers, freezing, sweating, shaking, hadn't slept in days. I ened up in the ER with blood pressure of 185/156. They did IV's and gave me two shots of valium which didn't phase me. Wide awake legal junkee. They got me stable and discharged me with a prescription of Clonadine. (2mg) Told me to take four the first day and taper down. I went to take the third pill and for some odd reason, I decided to check my blood pressure. It was 84/56. Had I taken that third pill it would have stopped my heart. The pharmacy told me I saved my own life. I am on the third month of being off the Oxycontin. I am still having blood pressure issues that we are trying to get under control and sleep doesn't come easy. Even with a sleeping pill I can only sleep a couple hours. I am a nervous wreck I don't crave the drug but the doctor said the brain receptors are on edge, they are still looking for the drug. She said it could take six months to feel normal. I never in my wildest dreams thought withdrawal could be so harsh. The doctors I have seen since coming off the Oxy, both tell me I wasn't weaned down far enough that I was basically dropped cold turkey. It was not a pretty sight but I am glad I am off the junk. If anybody has any ideas on how to sleep or slow down the nervous feeling, I would appreciate any advice.
    Thanks for listening
    Bad Back

Anonymous Guest

Default Hi bad back!

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Back View Post
    I was on Oxycontin for seven years after having several surgeries. December 2010 I told the doctor I wanted off the the drug. He did a 15 day taper and told me the first five days would be the worst. Wrong!!!! The 5th day was the beginning of the worst 15 days of my life. I had on three coats, soaked thru two layers, freezing, sweating, shaking, hadn't slept in days. I ened up in the ER with blood pressure of 185/156. They did IV's and gave me two shots of valium which didn't phase me. Wide awake legal junkee. They got me stable and discharged me with a prescription of Clonadine. (2mg) Told me to take four the first day and taper down. I went to take the third pill and for some odd reason, I decided to check my blood pressure. It was 84/56. Had I taken that third pill it would have stopped my heart. The pharmacy told me I saved my own life. I am on the third month of being off the Oxycontin. I am still having blood pressure issues that we are trying to get under control and sleep doesn't come easy. Even with a sleeping pill I can only sleep a couple hours. I am a nervous wreck I don't crave the drug but the doctor said the brain receptors are on edge, they are still looking for the drug. She said it could take six months to feel normal. I never in my wildest dreams thought withdrawal could be so harsh. The doctors I have seen since coming off the Oxy, both tell me I wasn't weaned down far enough that I was basically dropped cold turkey. It was not a pretty sight but I am glad I am off the junk. If anybody has any ideas on how to sleep or slow down the nervous feeling, I would appreciate any advice.
    Thanks for listening
    Bad Back
    Hey,
    I jumped off of 200mcg's of fentanyl and I know where you are coming from.....I hadn't a clue! We've got about the same time in as far as I can tell.......sleep for me is still very iffy......sometimes I do, but not at the right time....many times I don't. Everyone says sleep comes last.
    I feel so much better now than I did b4 I jumped, that now I'm willing to wait the sleep out. I will say, the more I do, the better I feel.
    I don't know anything about blood pressure, have no idea what mine was during that time, but it's back to normal now.
    The nervous feeling, again, that was helped for me, w/exercise, getting out and busy again.
    I don't want you to think that I did it right away.....like you, I was blown away by the WD and having no idea what could happen.
    So I read on here, posted on here, learned and was told what works.......now that I'm really just in the past couple of weeks or so really doing what I need to be doing full force..........I am in such a better place that I can handle the sleep issues w/even some humor b/c I know it's true, sleep comes last.....I read usually, some watch movies, some clean or shop.....you are not alone!
    I never regretted getting off the med, never wanted to go back, just wanted to feel better. I started out w/yoga at home, then walking, then working and walking and eventually have gotten back, except the sleep of course But if you will read and post on this forum, look in the Need to Talk section also, you'll see how much company you have and you will feel better about it.
    Best of luck to you!
    Marian

Marian,
    Thanks for the reply. The sleep thing is horrible. The doctor told me if I didn't get some sleep I could become psychotic. I told her if I am not crazy from the withdrawals, not much chance of becoming crazy. When Ambien didn't work for sleep she gave me Doxepin. She told me to take one and if I didn't sleep to take another one up to three. (25mg) Tablets. I took one at 8PM, slept for two hours so I took another one at 10PM. Didn't sleep a wink between 10 and 2AM. So at 2:00 I took the third one. I don't remember going to sleep but I guess I did a little. I got up at 7AM and was pretty dizzy but thought I was ok. I tried to take my blood pressure and I knew I was going to hit the floor. Tried to break my fall but must not of did a very good job. Have one heck of a bruise on my elbow and can tell where I hit my head. I woke up on the floor an hour later with the blood pressure cup on my arm, the rest flew across the floor. I was so dang dizzy I had the spins. Managed to get back to bed and stayed there till the pills wore off. Needless to say I didn't take anymore of them. That was one scary thing and I was home by myself. I stay busy all day long as I can't sit still. Nothing I do makes me tired enough to sleep. It am tired but totally wired. I look forward to the day or night when I can finally sleep again. Coming off drugs is definitely not for the weak at heart. I was determined and I did it. I lost my husband to cancer last July so there is more to my stress than withdrawals and it is a combination but I am a survivor and I will survive this too.
    Bad Back
    Last edited by Bad Back; 03-24-2011 at 03:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Anonymous Guest

Marian,
    Thanks for the reply. The sleep thing is horrible. The doctor told me if I didn't get some sleep I could become psychotic. I told her if I am not crazy from the withdrawals, not much chance of becoming crazy. When Ambien didn't work for sleep she gave me Doxepin. She told me to take one and if I didn't sleep to take another one up to three. (25mg) Tablets. I took one at 8PM, slept for two hours so I took another one at 10PM. Didn't sleep a wink between 10 and 2AM. So at 2:00 I took the third one. I don't remember going to sleep but I guess I did a little. I got up at 7AM and was pretty dizzy but thought I was ok. I tried to take my blood pressure and I knew I was going to hit the floor. Tried to break my fall but must not of did a very good job. Have one heck of a bruise on my elbow and can tell where I hit my head. I woke up on the floor an hour later with the blood pressure cup on my arm, the rest flew across the floor. I was so dang dizzy I had the spins. Managed to get back to bed and stayed there till the pills wore off. Needless to say I didn't take anymore of them. That was one scary thing and I was home by myself. I stay busy all day long as I can't sit still. Nothing I do makes me tired enough to sleep. It am tired but totally wired. I look forward to the day or night when I can finally sleep again. Coming off drugs is definitely not for the weak at heart. I was determined and I did it. I lost my husband to cancer last July so there is more to my stress than withdrawals and it is a combination but I am a survivor and I will survive this too.
    Bad Back
    Yeah, BB, it's never as simple as just coming off and getting through WD, even when sleep comes back. Very very sorry about your husband.
    LoL about what you told the Doctor about no sleep not making you psychotic after making it through the WD's! You are right you know.
    Be careful, don't need to fall and break anything. I fainted once shortly after the worst of the withdrawals when i was at a grocery store. Very embarassing, I must say. Need to eat well, exercise.............and what everyone told me was "SLEEP WHEN YOU CAN" if it's in the day, nite, morning.......whenever you can grab a cat nap do. Your body will slow down and konk out. I promise you that. What's nice about writing on here, is you can read back on your thread and when you are getting 6 hours sleep and wishing for 7 or 8, you will look back here and laugh at yourself.
    My issue, now, is I can't go to sleep, but when I do......it's anywhere from 3-5 in the morning and I have to get up at 7 at the very very latest. There's other's on here, who are at work by 7 or earlier and have the same problem, so I count myself lucky.
    You keep posting.......I posted at nite for a long time.
    I've never found anything to help me sleep, but others have had luck w/over the counter sleep aids.....benadryl, lunesta.....I'm sure by now you've tried everything.
    Hope you read, or like movies
    The worse thing to do is get highly frustrated over it, doesn't help, and sure doesn't make you sleep either.
    Looking forward to your next post.
    Marian

D4Ta is offline Member

Hello bad back, I am so sorry that you went thru all that. and to come that close to death is nuts. I to had been on oxys for close to 5 yrs, im JUST comming off of Methadone.
    The not sleeping WILL end. you could try taking Vitamin B6, and some Magnesium for RLS.
    (a variation of the thomas reciepe), and if your body allows you, try some sort of excersise during the day, to tire yourself out enuff to induce, sleep somewhat. If you have access to a pool, swimming really helps me.
    your not alone in this ya know. this is a great place, and alot of ppl have had success.
    I am on my 7th day off methadone, im hurting, but pluggin away.
    keep striving on.
    and posting here. believe me, it helps.
    anything I can do, feel free to contact me.
    god Bless.
    D~

Robert_325 is offline Retired

I
    Quote Originally Posted by D4Ta View Post
    Hello bad back, I am so sorry that you went thru all that. and to come that close to death is nuts. I to had been on oxys for close to 5 yrs, im JUST comming off of Methadone.
    The not sleeping WILL end. you could try taking Vitamin B6, and some Magnesium for RLS.
    (a variation of the thomas reciepe), and if your body allows you, try some sort of excersise during the day, to tire yourself out enuff to induce, sleep somewhat. If you have access to a pool, swimming really helps me.
    your not alone in this ya know. this is a great place, and alot of ppl have had success.
    I am on my 7th day off methadone, im hurting, but pluggin away.
    keep striving on.
    and posting here. believe me, it helps.
    anything I can do, feel free to contact me.
    god Bless.
    D~

I had no doubt you would be successful. Have seen you do so well in the past. Now comes the more diffecult part of staying clean. If it happens again that you consider using again post BEFORE you use so we can holp you. Everyone on this forum is behing you. Stay strong. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 03-26-2011 at 02:26 AM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

luvy298 is offline Member

Smile Hello

First of all let me congaragulate you for getting off the opiates. I also abused Tramadol for two years straight. Six month's ago I decided to get off of them cold turkey it was the hardest thing I had to do, but the best decision I have made in my life. On April 8, 2011 I will be clean 7 months. I still have problems sleeping, but I found that Valerian Root really helps me relax at night. It is completely natural; therefore you do not have to think about getting addicted to them. I hope this helps and good luck on your recovery I know how hard it can be.

Your Friend
    Luvy298

Thanks for listening
    Bad Back

D4Ta is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    I

I had no doubt you would be successful. Have seen you do so well in the past. Now comes the more diffecult part of staying clean. If it happens again that you consider using again post BEFORE you use so we can holp you. Everyone on this forum is behing you. Stay strong. God bless.
    Thanks Robert. I`m also ,well, seemingly, it seems like im more "alert" and sharper>? I mean, went riding today, and this horse is kinna spooky with certain sounds, and he will just freek out if you snap ur fingers. and I felt very "in tune" with him. more than ever.
    Im not as "hazy"?
    Im pluggin away here.
    love ya;

Thank you all. I appreciate all the comments and support. It helps to know there are more going through this and can relate to it. I just never dreamed that legal drugs could lead to an addiction problem like this. I never abused the drugs or even took as much as I was suppose to. Just enough to keep me out of pain and that was all. Then when my stomach started hurting so bad that I couldn't eat, I blamed it on the Oxycontin. It had to have been the culprit because since getting off them my stomach doesn't hurt anymore. During the WD's I got down to 99 pounds but I only weighed 115 to begin with. Right now I am holding at 110. All my Dr. reports say I am anorexic and that ticks me because I have never weighed much in my life. I am such a small frame not even 5 foot tall so how could they even make such a stupid comment. UGGH!!!
    Anyway we do have a hot tub and I try to relax in that before going to bed. So far it doesn't seem to help much either. As for exercise I stay busy all day because of the jitters. Can't do much of a workout because I have the back pain from hell since getting off the drugs. Looking at a third back surgery but trying to deal with it without surgery. I am too young to feel this old. Country music song there.
    Thanks to all of you again and look forward to getting to know you all better.
    Bad Back

D4Ta is offline Member

Thank you all. I appreciate all the comments and support. It helps to know there are more going through this and can relate to it. I just never dreamed that legal drugs could lead to an addiction problem like this. I never abused the drugs or even took as much as I was suppose to. Just enough to keep me out of pain and that was all. Then when my stomach started hurting so bad that I couldn't eat, I blamed it on the Oxycontin. It had to have been the culprit because since getting off them my stomach doesn't hurt anymore. During the WD's I got down to 99 pounds but I only weighed 115 to begin with. Right now I am holding at 110. All my Dr. reports say I am anorexic and that ticks me because I have never weighed much in my life. I am such a small frame not even 5 foot tall so how could they even make such a stupid comment. UGGH!!!
    Anyway we do have a hot tub and I try to relax in that before going to bed. So far it doesn't seem to help much either. As for exercise I stay busy all day because of the jitters. Can't do much of a workout because I have the back pain from hell since getting off the drugs. Looking at a third back surgery but trying to deal with it without surgery. I am too young to feel this old. Country music song there.
    Thanks to all of you again and look forward to getting to know you all better.
    Bad Back
    Your are doing so great! you could try some pottasium if you have RLS and jitters, bananas if ya cant get the supps. vits b6, magnesium, and some zinc, which is the primary ing, in coldfx and they charge ya a ton for coldfx, where its mostly zinc, which you would take if you DONT have a cold. dont take zinc if you do.
    it does get better my friend
    good luck
    and keep posting,
    D~

Default Shaking

How long before I feel better? This jittery stuff has about got me crazy. I don't shake but I feel like I am shaking from the inside out. Almost like I have had the worst scare possible. I have never been a nervous person but this it just too much. I tried Magnesium and Caplex B but nothing seems to do a thing. A few people I have talked to said that as long as I was on the Oxycontin, (7Years) that it could take six to nine months to feel back to normal. I am just a little over three months off the junk and can't imagine feeling this shakey for another three to six months. I tried another Doxepin the other night. Another disaster. I had been without sleep for so long, thought I would try one and I slept for three hours, woke up from a nightmare that set my blood pressure over the roof. So no more Doxepin for me. Something in Doxepin that doesn't like me.
    Does anyone else have the shaking thing going on from the inside out?
    Thanks
    Bad Back

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

How long before I feel better? This jittery stuff has about got me crazy. I don't shake but I feel like I am shaking from the inside out. Almost like I have had the worst scare possible. I have never been a nervous person but this it just too much. I tried Magnesium and Caplex B but nothing seems to do a thing. A few people I have talked to said that as long as I was on the Oxycontin, (7Years) that it could take six to nine months to feel back to normal. I am just a little over three months off the junk and can't imagine feeling this shakey for another three to six months. I tried another Doxepin the other night. Another disaster. I had been without sleep for so long, thought I would try one and I slept for three hours, woke up from a nightmare that set my blood pressure over the roof. So no more Doxepin for me. Something in Doxepin that doesn't like me.
    Does anyone else have the shaking thing going on from the inside out?
    Thanks
    Bad Back
    Have you tried melatonin for sleep? It works wonders for some people. There is time released and instant released pills, I would suggest taking 1 of each before bed if your sleep still isn't normal. Have you been checked for any nerve damage that could be causing the shakes? That is quite a long time to still be jittery like that. The people you talked to were correct about the timeline, it can actually take up to a year for you to feel 100% again, it obviously differs for each person and what you do with your time. Exercise, B-12, 5-HTP, magnesium and other natural remedies can speed things up tremendously

Yes I have tried Melatonin but it didn't do a thing. It is crazy but one night I took half of a valium, half a clonidine, 3tbs. of cough syryup with hydrocodone it it and 10mg of Ambien. The most sleep I got was three hours. I came down with Pneumonia which is why I have the cough syrup. The Ambein was prescribed because I have been so long without sleep. Then the Clonadine is for blood pressure. I had valium that they gave me when I ened up in the ER with severe withdrawals. I don't take all this on a regular basis...Just all one night to see if I could get some sleep.
    Is there a chance that the Oxycontin causes nerve damage? The doctor said when someone comes off Oxy that the nerve receptors are raw, like you uncovered them with a blanket. While I am not craving the drug, my body or brain is still looking for it. Sounds reasonable I guess but I sure never dreamed that Oxycontin could mess up a person like this. I thought after a month I would be ok but I am far from that. I think a person could have a nervous breakdown coming off the junk. I don't know what to do for myself. No way would I go back though, I know that much.
    Thanks again,
    Bad Back

Yes I have tried Melatonin but it didn't do a thing. It is crazy but one night I took half of a valium, half a clonidine, 3tbs. of cough syryup with hydrocodone it it and 10mg of Ambien. The most sleep I got was three hours. I came down with Pneumonia which is why I have the cough syrup. The Ambein was prescribed because I have been so long without sleep. Then the Clonadine is for blood pressure. I had valium that they gave me when I ened up in the ER with severe withdrawals. I don't take all this on a regular basis...Just all one night to see if I could get some sleep.
    Is there a chance that the Oxycontin causes nerve damage? The doctor said when someone comes off Oxy that the nerve receptors are raw, like you uncovered them with a blanket. While I am not craving the drug, my body or brain is still looking for it. Sounds reasonable I guess but I sure never dreamed that Oxycontin could mess up a person like this. I thought after a month I would be ok but I am far from that. I think a person could have a nervous breakdown coming off the junk. I don't know what to do for myself. No way would I go back though, I know that much.
    Thanks again,
    Bad Back
    I wouldn't be surprised if it did cause nerve damage. Oxycontin is such a nasty drug and after 7 years of use I couldn't even imagine all the damage that it caused. Keep us updated will ya, I'm rooting for you, hope you start feeling an improvement soon

disabledleo is offline Member

Default Badback I'm with you

I read all the posts & can say this:
    Go into the pharmacy you've been dealing with & talk to the head person there. Explain your situation because I have found that "THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE GIVING" & can be your best friend in good times & BAD... I have been on ridiculous amounts of EVERYTHING for 12 yrs & am just about out of the nightmare. The ONLY way is with support & HELP!!! BUT ONLY IF YOU DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO & FOLLOW THEIR INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER........
    I will not go into what I've been thru because that doesn't matter right now to you. If you would like to start reading some of what I have posted & you will see a pattern. There is help here if you are ready & willing to find it.
    I have found the ONLY way I get any sleep is doing what my best friend "JR & JOE & everyone else @ Westbury" not to mention everyone else that has hand a hand in my life change. They came up with having me use xanax 2mg bars & I take 2 bars = 4mgs at night & 5 non-asprin PM & can HONESTLY say I am able to sleep ALL NIGHT long "most" nights. I still wake up feeling like I am waking up in a swimming pool & usually have towels laying by my bed to lay down to soak up the water... I will tell you this it will take MUCH MUCH longer than months to get where you will finally "FEEL" as normal as you can. BUT I will tell you this I have been bike riding & joined a gym the other day so YOU CAN DO IT!!!! I "still" have a bottle of oxy's 30 mgs IR 70+ in the house that I have not touched & LOVE the feeling. The xanax is also very addictive BUT our bodies need sleep & I'll deal with getting off them soon. They also have put me on cymbalta which is supposed to help some & I don't feel much difference with it BUT my family says they see a huge difference. So I am telling you all this because I got here not by a doctor BUT because of the strength of family friends & my pharmacy that is in direct contact with my shrink & doctor. If everyone isn't working together with a plan its very hard on YOU!!!!! I have tried it alone & it just doesn't do anything but destroy EVERYTHING & EVERYONE around you. Its not worth it TRUST me... Read some of my posts I've been on here awhile. Reading from the beginning to the end will give you some idea what I'm talking about. So use your time wisely since we know you'll be awake.
    I spent 3 yrs+ IN BED so pain I understand & drugs I know what they do.. Figuring out who we were BEFORE all of it is the hardest part so far for me but I'm getting there.
    You can not look at "HOW LONG WILL I FEEL LIKE THIS" take it 1 day at a time & you gain the strength to smile again.
    Sorry sooo long - & wish I could do more for you
    Take it 1 day at a time

Quote Originally Posted by disabledleo View Post
    I read all the posts & can say this:
    Go into the pharmacy you've been dealing with & talk to the head person there. Explain your situation because I have found that "THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE GIVING" & can be your best friend in good times & BAD... I have been on ridiculous amounts of EVERYTHING for 12 yrs & am just about out of the nightmare. The ONLY way is with support & HELP!!! BUT ONLY IF YOU DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO & FOLLOW THEIR INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER........
    I will not go into what I've been thru because that doesn't matter right now to you. If you would like to start reading some of what I have posted & you will see a pattern. There is help here if you are ready & willing to find it.
    I have found the ONLY way I get any sleep is doing what my best friend "JR & JOE & everyone else @ Westbury" not to mention everyone else that has hand a hand in my life change. They came up with having me use xanax 2mg bars & I take 2 bars = 4mgs at night & 5 non-asprin PM & can HONESTLY say I am able to sleep ALL NIGHT long "most" nights. I still wake up feeling like I am waking up in a swimming pool & usually have towels laying by my bed to lay down to soak up the water... I will tell you this it will take MUCH MUCH longer than months to get where you will finally "FEEL" as normal as you can. BUT I will tell you this I have been bike riding & joined a gym the other day so YOU CAN DO IT!!!! I "still" have a bottle of oxy's 30 mgs IR 70+ in the house that I have not touched & LOVE the feeling. The xanax is also very addictive BUT our bodies need sleep & I'll deal with getting off them soon. They also have put me on cymbalta which is supposed to help some & I don't feel much difference with it BUT my family says they see a huge difference. So I am telling you all this because I got here not by a doctor BUT because of the strength of family friends & my pharmacy that is in direct contact with my shrink & doctor. If everyone isn't working together with a plan its very hard on YOU!!!!! I have tried it alone & it just doesn't do anything but destroy EVERYTHING & EVERYONE around you. Its not worth it TRUST me... Read some of my posts I've been on here awhile. Reading from the beginning to the end will give you some idea what I'm talking about. So use your time wisely since we know you'll be awake.
    I spent 3 yrs+ IN BED so pain I understand & drugs I know what they do.. Figuring out who we were BEFORE all of it is the hardest part so far for me but I'm getting there.
    You can not look at "HOW LONG WILL I FEEL LIKE THIS" take it 1 day at a time & you gain the strength to smile again.
    Sorry sooo long - & wish I could do more for you
    Take it 1 day at a time
    4mg of Xanax in 1 shot would put a FAMILY of horses down, that's a lot of Xanax my friend. You better make sure you don't have any nights without any, that would be a nasty and dangerous withdrawal
    disabledleo likes this.

Default Just wanted to add this

You might want to go to your doctor & have them do a full blood scan on your vitamin's because for some reason I have several areas that were shut completely down & that could be the causes of you feeling soo horrible also. So that is another plan I can share with you. I am being supplemented on several vitamins that they say are either shut down from the mass doses of RX'ed meds or the # of hack jobs on my back... They just can't figure it out but I do feel a huge difference now that my levels are being supplemented (all B , D , E , Test. Estrogen to name a few) Just ask your doctor to do a full blown blood screening for vitamins & other levels to check liver & other organs because my entire system when into shock 1 organ at a time & I could feel it when it hit. I could actually feel my kidneys jumping inside of me & then my liver & my heart just about exploded out of my chest. You mention BP so you need blood work done to check all these things.... I'm telling you my legs are shaking right now just thinking back at the feelings of my insides shaking.... So to answer your ? YES I know the feeling & I found out each of my organs were going into shock when I was feeling this. Thats how bad off I was - now I'm not trying to add to your stress just posting what I have actually gone thru & documented in my medical history.
    If you haven't been having blood levels checked all along you NEED to get in & have them checked. Let me know what you've had done & what not..

thekid0138 is offline Member

Default same problem

i was just womdering how you went about telling your doctor you wanted off the oxy i am new to here and just started a thread so any help is appreciated thanks

The Kid,
    I had been on Oxycontin for seven years. Everytime I ate, my stomach hurt to the point I couldn't eat much. I just told the doctor I wanted off to see where my pain level was without the Oxy. I almost think I was having rebound pain from the meds. It has been the hardest thing I have ever dealt with. Even worse than the death of my husband. I am a little over three months off and still having withdrawal symptoms. If any doctor says you will feel better after five or ten days, they are nuts. It all depends on how long you have been on the drug from what I hear. I still can't sleep over three hours and it is killing me. They can't even knock me out with sleeping pills. Now the doctor wants me to do a sleep study. I figure ok, they can watch me lay awake all night. They think I may have sleep apnea but how can you have that when you don't sleep? Whatever, I am willing to try anything. Another person who was on the Oxy this long said it can take six to nine months to feel better.
    Stay in touch.
    Bad Back

Default BB remember this

You really can't ask doctors how long or even others how long "YOU" will take because everyone is different & deal with things differently so please stop looking sooo far ahead & GREAT GREAT JOB on how far you have gone so far. I am proud of you & people are actually asking *YOU* for advise so that has to make you feel good inside. Just take it as your body tells you day by day & even hour by hour if needed. I have been thru this for a LONG LONG TIME & still had a horrible night to the point my wife had to leave the room because of the heat coming from my body & me flipping flopping yelling screaming & just ready to rip the bed apart. So please listen to your body & DRINK DRINK DRINK WATER.... I absolutely HATE water but it does help. Hot baths showers do too. When you can excersise will give you a feeling of accomplishment that all of us seek. Its as easy as walking a dog walking to get your mail getting to the bathroom farthest away from you ANYTHING to make a point of it to make you do more instead of less.
    You have to listen to your body because after my night I had plans to do a bunch of stuff & my body took over & I ended up trapped in my bed with my puppies snuggled up with me all day.
    But then this evening I felt great & took them out for our bike ride & I took them BOTH out for a great ride & it felt wonderful.
    So go day by day.
    YEZ yes I know the xanax is extreme but I took 4mgs an hour ago & just got back from my bike ride with the dogs. My body is soo wacked out from all the chemicals pumped into me it takes large doses of everything to effect me. Thats why I ended up having 2 levels fused in my back at 1 point where they were unable to put me to sleep & I felt the entire ordeal.. HORRIBLE PAIN but they gave me over what was a safe amount & it didn't knock me out.
    I will deal with getting off them soon.
    BB YOU'VE DONE IT & I AM PROUD OF YOU!!!!! KEEP IT UP

I have had all the blood work done and am fine that way. couple things were borderline but nothing to worry about. Told me which vitamins and minerals to take to improve the levels. I did figure out one thing though. I was put on Norvast for the blood pressure. It did lower my blood pressure but made my heart feel like it was going thump out of my chest. Told the doctor that and she said it can be one of the side effects on a certain % of people. I was one of them. Weird thing is there are days that my blood pressure is ok so I take nothing, then the next day it will shoot up to 170/100. I always thought you either had high blood pressure or you didn't. I monitor it at home as I don't want to take BP medicine if I am in normal range. I can usually tell when it starts to go up by the way I feel.
    I stay busy during the day. Even with no sleep I am wired. The doctor doesn't understand how I can function. I think it is nervous energy.....What else could it be as I don't feel tired, I just look tired. If I could just focus on me and my problems it would be easier but there are so many things that keep happening with my family that it stresses me out. An aunt and uncle just died within a week of each other, had to put my dad in a nursing home and now my sister in law is in the hospital with kidney problems. She donated a kidney to her brother years ago so we are really in a scare now. I think things like this is what spikes my blood pressure. I need to relax as there is nothing I can do about any of it......Hard for me to do.
    Anyway I appreciate all the feedback and hope I can help you all the same way you have helped me. Just by being here helps!
    Thanks
    BB

Default Badback

Yes sounds like you are dealing with a lot of issues on top of everything else... Just hang in there & make reachable goals & let nothing stop you. Positive thinking & ACTIONS have helped me. I too am having serious bp issues where its soo bad my pharmacy wants me coming in EVERYDAY to monitor it closely but the craziest thing is my pulse goes from like 60-65 a minute to 110-115 beats a minute very often now that I am aware of it I actually check it. I am afraid if put on bp meds it will drop too low & I don't have to explain what will happen so I have no clue about what to do
    Just hang in there

Unhappy

disabledleo,
    The blood pressure thing is a pain. Sunday I had a headache so the BP skyrocketed, pulse 108. With a BP pill and a whole Clonadine, I got it in normal range. Monday it started to go up again so took one BP pill. An hour later it was still going up so I took half a clonadine. Not sure what the heck happened but they must have both started working at once. My blood pressure dropped to 72/56. Dizzy and felt like I was going to go out. My boyfriend looked on the internet what to do for low blood pressure. Lay flat and put your legs up such as on the floor with your legs on the sofa. Then I chugged salt water. (YUCK!!!) But it did the trick. Got back up around 100/? and then felt ok. I haven't take BP medicine since. Yesterday I had a two hour doctor appointment. I mentioned the heart palpitation thing and asked her if it could be from a hital hernia? She had started to deal with the hernia a couple months ago but then I came down with pneumonia so forgot about the hernia. Dr. had me drink a malox cocktail with a numbing agent in it. It made my chest quit hurting and the cough quit but only till the numbness wore off. She said the hernia could cause chest pain, high blood pressure, coughing, all the symptoms I am having. Who would have known because I don't have heartburn. She put me on an acid reflux pill to take twice a day. Hopefully in three or four days it should make a difference. If not then see a gastric doctor and maybe surgery. I thought all this was from Oxycontin withdrawal. The bad thing I have always done is take pills on an empty stomach and not sure if that is the cause of this or what.
    I am almost paranoid of taking any kind of drug now. Never know what they are going to do to you. I think we are all lab rats for the drug companies.
    Take care,
    Bad Back

Default ???Need High Dosage HELP!!!

If I'm not in the right place, someone please let me know so I can copy and paste to the right spot. Da freak*ng "Need to talk?"spot is so hard to find and IDK or remember which page of The Thomas Recipe was that someone was kind to provide a link. We are freak*ng addicts in rare form-Why don't they make it easier to find?

So here's tha Scoop: I need EXPERIENCED help, it doesn't have to be from Robert_325 or Melinda7.5 I wouldn't want anyone to feel as overwhelmed by all of my problems as I do, I just need serious advice as my dependence on Oxycontin 80s (2 a day) and Oxycodone 30s (12-14 a day) is a high dosage. I don't care to explain why (just yet) that I'll have to get all of these Very Soon, but it is all coming fast-I possibly won't be able to get scripts within a month (unless I find another doctor, which is a possibility and in that case I'd ask to be weaned down slowly) and I'm paying a TON for medical insurance. Currently I'm unemployed, but I need to find a job with insurance soon. That shouldn't be too hard but I do have a little cushion to halt my search and take care of this. So now maybe you're asking, "Why doesn't she just go to an inpatient rehab?" Well, that may be an option I'll HAVE to take if Thomas's recipe turns into a disaster, but I have a husband to think about-he's in this same boat too. So the 80s and the 30s are actually split between us and that makes any change in the dosage drastically affect us. He always runs through his share Fast, so at least he's used to being sick a few days or a week, but I've always rationed mine so I haven't been without for longer than 1 day in 5-6 years. I want to know what exactly happens in inpatient detox, like what drugs do they give you, do they just knock you out if you start freaking out, where the best places are. Before I do that I want to try to do it at home but I'm almost positive I'd end up in the ER, so I thought maybe I'd save a little money if I could arrange the detox facility-but that still poses a problem for my husband-he DOES NOT have insurance OR a script, so wouldn't I get reported for "sharing"meds, thus making it hard/impossible for either of us to ever get any drugs, should we need them, in the future? I'm thinking I'd still need hydro 10s afterwards to have any Quality of Life, but would like to start from 0 and reassess my pain from there. I don't wanna be on subs or methodone the rest of my life either, but I'll do what I must to keep us Both Alive so I could try the Sub Taper or whatev is best. Please Pray For Us.