Oxy withdrawal: 5HTP and PAWS
    Jasmine79 is offline Junior Member

Default Oxy withdrawal: 5HTP and PAWS

I'd like to share with you my experience using 5HTP to deal with PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome).

I'm a two-year opiate addict who has been clean since Jan 7, 2010. The post-withdrawal phase of this recovery has had full reign over my emotions and I have been unable to form plans or motivate myself to do much more than stare at the TV.

When I first quit opiates, I tried 5HTP with the thought that it would alleviate some of the symptoms. It didn't. In fact, I found myself even more anxious than before. When I quit 5HTP, the anxiety went away.

Now that I am in the later phases of the recovery, I have tried taking one recommended dose unit of 5HTP each morning with breakfast.

It seems to have had a profound impact on my ability to function. I feel a definite change in mood. At first it seemed like anxiety all over again, but now I recognize that this "anxiety" is in fact motivation. The drug seems to help me connect my thoughts to actions and my actions to foreseeable consequences. This feeling had become foreign to me, but now I recognize it as a good thing.

Of course I can't be sure it is the drug-- I may just be having a mood swing, or there may be a placebo effect-- so if anyone has references to any research literature on the topic I'd love to read it.

mottam is offline Advanced Member

Please forgive my ignorance (and lack of goggle-ability - LOL)
    - what is "5HTP"?

Thank you
    mottam

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Jasmine .... I doubt you're suffering from PAWS after a week clean. That is still w/d, not PAWS. You haven't been clean for long enough yet to be suffering from PAWS. One week is NOT the later phases of recovery. That doesn't happen for a long time. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 03-16-2010 at 03:04 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

numbOne is offline Member

Well my previous reply to you was deleted. Really not sure why but assuming links are a no-no?

Anyway i will sum it up: Congratulations! That actually is a long Time and you should be very very proud.

Also, have no experience but looked it up...we are all different so whatever works for you! If you found something and it's getting you through...Keep it up and stay strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Jasmine .... I doubt you're suffering from PAWS after a week clean. That is still w/d, not PAWS. You haven't been clean for long enough yet to be suffering from PAWS. One week is NOT the later phases of recovery. That doesn't happen for a long time. God bless.

It's been a little longer than a week

Quote Originally Posted by mottam View Post
    Please forgive my ignorance (and lack of goggle-ability - LOL)
    - what is "5HTP"?

Thank you
    mottam
    5HTP is an over-the-counter precursor to serotonin. The research that I've been able to find is a bit undecided as to its effects, but it is supposedly something that helps with sleep and mood problems.

I don't doubt that you're having PAWS. There is a LOT more to PAWS than mood and sleep problems. PAWS takes a lot longer than a week. It can take WEEKS just to get clean. PAWS can affect us months after getting clean. Just don't use no matter what and you'll be okay. Very few people really experience PAWS. Hope you aren't one of them. It happens like at 60 or 90 days, thereabouts and there won't be any doubt in your mind. It's like starting to go through w/d all over again. Hope it doesn't happen and doubt it will. Some depression and altered mood is normal for opiate w/d. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

getnovrit is offline Member

Robert - it appears by her first post that she has been clean somewhere in the neighborhood of 70-80 days so maybe she is experiencing PAWS to some degree. Don't mean to but in.

Getnovrit from MS

Default WS

Quote Originally Posted by getnovrit View Post
    Robert - it appears by her first post that she has been clean somewhere in the neighborhood of 70-80 days so maybe she is experiencing PAWS to some degree. Don't mean to but in.

Getnovrit from MS

Getnovrit ........ I must not have gone back far enough. Sorry if I missed that. Jasmine .... I must have missed the earlier post. Hang in there. It will go away if you don't use. I relapsed once due to PAWS. It will be just like w/d was, can get really bad. I had everything but the very bad stomach issues, same as a detox out of nowhere. Don't use and it will go away. It's just the drugs taking one last stab at getting you back. Don't give in. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 03-17-2010 at 08:32 AM.