Non Benzo Anxiety medication
    nasko26 is offline New Member

Default Non Benzo Anxiety medication

Ive been dealing with anxiety for a long time. i finally went to see a pschy. and he put me on Klonapin. but i dont want to get addicted like he said what other medication is out there i can offer him to give to me that is not a benzo and it works good? thank you

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by nasko26 View Post
    Ive been dealing with anxiety for a long time. i finally went to see a pschy. and he put me on Klonapin. but i dont want to get addicted like he said what other medication is out there i can offer him to give to me that is not a benzo and it works good? thank you

There are some antidepressants that help with anxiety. You need to discuss it with the dr. I don't know your medical history at all and can not give medical advice like this with what you've given us to work with. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nasko26 View Post
    Dear nasko,

I think it's very wise that you are reluctant to the the klonopin; it's a dangerous drug. Even if you take it exactly as prescribed, it takes little time for your body to become dependent upon it and experience withdrawal symptoms when you stop.

I can appreciate Robert's reluctance to suggest another drug - but I just wanted to pass on what information is already available through this site. Here's a link to some medications to deal with anxiety: http://www.drugs.com/condition/anxiety.html

Again, stay away from anything in the "benzodiazepene" class of drugs, such as the klonopin. Many doctors hand them out like candy, without regard for the long term cost. It's best we always research for ourselves, and become our own best advocate. In my opinion, anxiety is often a symptom of an underlying issue - that is best to be resolved, rather than medicated. I urge you to consider other solutions, such as counseling, over drugs.

God bless,
    Ruth

ElizaJane23 is offline New Member

Default Anxiety med not Benzo

Of course your doctor needs to be consulted before changing to any new medication, but you may want to research Buspar. This medication worked well for me, and was not addictive. Best wishes to you.
    ElizaJane

david1017 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by ElizaJane23 View Post
    Of course your doctor needs to be consulted before changing to any new medication, but you may want to research Buspar. This medication worked well for me, and was not addictive. Best wishes to you.
    Here to give a quick heads up on buspar though.... I was prescribed Buspar and it worked out AWFUL for me. i took it and whenever I took it I got the following symptoms.... Light headedness, headaches, twitching, dizziness, nausea, and honestly added anxiety. It did a ton of wrongs for me and I felt absolutely no positive benefit from it, I would definitely recommend strongly against it. I've also read by many other people and forums that I wasn't the only one to have those problems with buspar.