Nerve Pain.
    no_more_tram is offline Member

Question Nerve Pain.

Just wondering what medicines work well for nerve pain. I have nerve pain throughout my body due to degenerative disc disease, I am currently taking 60mg Cymbalta(started taking it on Saturday). Might be helping somewhat, but think it may be to early to tell. I go back to Dr. in a few weeks and if Cymbalta isn't working would like to give him a suggestion on taking something else. Heard bad things about Neurontin, was prescribed that about 6 months back, but was taking so many pain pills, cared less about acutally taking it! Any helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

StephLuvsMichigan is offline Junior Member

Hi! I was also diagnosed with degenerative disc disease. i have had two back surgeries in the last ten yrs. the last one was last december, i had a lumbar fusion where they put screws, pins, and a metal plate in my back. i can tell you the things i tried, and maybe that will give you an idea of where to start. Lyrica has become real popular to treat this kind of pain, i did try it, only for a couple of days tho. i had an allergic reaction, which i am told is rare. i also tried the cymbalta with no success. i have tried many of pain pills. the most relief came from my surgery (which may not be an option for you yet) and then i see an acupuncturist 2x a month. i have not taken any pain pills or even over the counter stuff since the surgery and i feel the best i have in 10yrs! i hope this helps in some way.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Lyrica is proving to be the number one pain reliever for nerve pain. Trythe Lyrica and give it a good week to get fully into your system.God luck.......Dave

chrish1 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by no_more_tram View Post
    Just wondering what medicines work well for nerve pain. I have nerve pain throughout my body due to degenerative disc disease, I am currently taking 60mg Cymbalta(started taking it on Saturday). Might be helping somewhat, but think it may be to early to tell. I go back to Dr. in a few weeks and if Cymbalta isn't working would like to give him a suggestion on taking something else. Heard bad things about Neurontin, was prescribed that about 6 months back, but was taking so many pain pills, cared less about acutally taking it! Any helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

No more tram - I have been taking Neurontin for many years, and it has worked better than anything for my nerve pain. It is non-narcotic also. I'm not sure I believe some of the negative info on it - seems like it might be more used by those seeking a lawsuit since it is often used for various reasons. I haven't had ANY negative side effects from it ever.

Chrish
    Clean Date: 10/11/05

Robert_325 is offline Retired

There are people who have bad reactions to neurontin and lyrica both. Same with any medications. But they are both usually good meds. Lyrica is used the most often now and Dave was right in that you have to take it a while before realizing the positive effects. At least a week, maybe two weeks or so is needed. Good luck.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.