Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jennmkillgore
  • 1 Post By Dog Talker
  • 1 Post By Robert_325
  • 1 Post By Anonymous
Need to talk with Melinda -quitting methadone
    Dog Talker is offline New Member

Exclamation Need to talk with Melinda -quitting methadone

I am not sure if I am doing this right-What would be the protocol to get off of Methadone by using hydrocodone instead of suboxone? The Dr. I am working with will agree to try to help me do it if I give him all the do's and dont's. He does not understand the whole process but does seem to think Robert's protocol is a good one. But he is told he cannot presribe Subutex? He wants me to give him as much info as I can. I just want to get off- I am down to 15mgs/day and truely feel like a failure for not being able to go below that after starting at 100mg/day. They make it so hard to get any help or meds so a person doesn't go crazy and get deathly ill-it's not right after the drs. put you on it in the first place and you have never abused or been a drug seeker. Thanks for any help.

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Talker View Post
    I am not sure if I am doing this right-What would be the protocol to get off of Methadone by using hydrocodone instead of suboxone? The Dr. I am working with will agree to try to help me do it if I give him all the do's and dont's. He does not understand the whole process but does seem to think Robert's protocol is a good one. But he is told he cannot presribe Subutex? He wants me to give him as much info as I can. I just want to get off- I am down to 15mgs/day and truely feel like a failure for not being able to go below that after starting at 100mg/day. They make it so hard to get any help or meds so a person doesn't go crazy and get deathly ill-it's not right after the drs. put you on it in the first place and you have never abused or been a drug seeker. Thanks for any help.
    Using hydrocodone to come off of methadone can be rather hard. The hydro is so short acting you might find yourself taking way to many to keep your skin from crawling throughout the day. You might want to try finding a doctor that can prescribe suboxone and using Robert's taper for the most painless route

how does one find a dr to prescribe subutex that doesn't make you go through 50 hoops and label you an addict/abuser ? I would go that route if I could but it is not an option.

Does anyone know of another drug that would bind on the opiate recepters and lessen the withdrawel symptoms? I need a "poor man's way " to come off of 15mgs. of methadone. Thanks to anyone.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Does anyone know of another drug that would bind on the opiate recepters and lessen the withdrawel symptoms? I need a "poor man's way " to come off of 15mgs. of methadone. Thanks to anyone.

Glad to see you made it to the forum as I suggested. Have you been to suboxone.com to find a sub dr? You just enter your zip code and the number of miles you're willing to drive to the dr and they'll give you a complete list of sub-certifed drs.

Most sub drs don't make you go through all the stuff you told me about on the private message like going in-patient, signing contracts and all that nonsense. Tell me what you've done to find a good sub dr that won't treat you like the ones you told me about. I know this is doable for you. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 04-28-2011 at 02:43 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Thank you for the suggestion- I live in mid WI and anyone w/MFLD clinic system is SO narrow minded and giving me the trouble. They wish to paint us all with the same brush, which I feel is grossly unfair- and won't budge to help ease suffering. I will try your link and see what I come up with. I was assuming they all had the same rules.Thanks again. I feel I am so close I only need alittle help to avoid getting sooo sick. I have no problems staying away mentally from the drugs.

Let me know what you come up with on the web site. And some sub drs are more expensive than others so you probably would be smart to call several on the list and ask about their protocol, costs, etc. I'm here when you are ready. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

There are two within 100 miles-Dr. Pinkonskly and Dr. Shopbell- any experience with either? Would a drug like Ultram cover the receptors enough to make withdrawels livable? Now my Dr. friend seems afraid to help-he wants every possible outcome of substituting something for subutex-I feel confident that just alittle help would get me past the worst-even using hydrocodone-I am willing to take the risk-I just need something to not be sooo sick the first few days or a week.

I don't know either of those two drs by name. Methadone is a strong drug. Tramadol is definitely not the way to go. If you don't go with subs the best option would be to continue your taper off methadone down to a lower dose and then you should be able to switch to a less stronger opiate.

I know it's a slow process but subs is the best thing to use if you want to get off the methadone immediately. I don't know what else to tell you. If you want to try something like percocet which is oxycodone with acetaminophen or even hydrocodone that is certainly an option. But it will likely be a tough road for a while as methadone has a very long half life. That is why I first suggested tapering down first and then switching to a weaker opiate if that is the route you want to go.

Anonymous Guest

Hi Dog Talker
    I'm here ..watching your thread.. I'm just waiting to see what you want to do.
    I did a very long taper off of some heavy drugs
    so if there is anything I can help you with just let me know !!!
    I know you want to get out of this very soon !!
    talk to you soon, Melinda

jennmkillgore is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Please read dog talker!!!

Dog Talker,
    Hello. My name is Jennifer and I have been in recovery for nine years. One thing concerns me greatly in what I have read. That is that your doctor wants you to reassure him, give him all the do's and don'ts, and every possible outcome in order to help you. First off, HE'S the doctor, not you. He should be the one researching what is best for you and consulting with other doctors that have experience with this kind of thing. You have enough to worry about without having to educate the damn doctor! I'm sorry, but that just infuriates me and just goes to show you how little education doctors really get on this subject and it screams incompetence to me!
    Ok, now for your situation. I have been on methadone for nine years and have been a patient and clinic liaison and advocate during that time. I have helped guide many patients through this type of thing. Let me say this, I AM NOT A DOCTOR! My advice comes from years of experience and education. Please always consult a doctor prior to making any changes! Now then, you can taper slowly, like Robert said, but hydrocodone isn't the best way. If you can't use sub or can't afford it, talk with your doc about a longer acting opiate like Oxycontin or Opana. Both have time release coatings and don't have to be taken as often as other very short-acting opiates like hydrocodone or percocet. Being on only 15mgs of methadone, you could ask the doc about doing Oxycontin 40mgs two or three times daily for 14 days, then drop to one or two times daily, then down to 20mg tabs two or three times daily, 20mgs one or two times daily, 10 mgs the same way, ect. I would allow 14-30 days between decreases because your body needs time to adjust to each change. This is not a fast process. It takes a while and no matter what, you will more than likely experience some discomfort. That's where recovery meetings and talking come in. Remember, these are just suggestions and I'm not a doctor. Talk to your doctor, get him to do some research, and hopefully you will come up with something that will work for you.
    Jenn
    Last edited by ddcmod; 04-28-2011 at 11:27 PM.
    GiGiLee58 likes this.

jaypee is offline New Member

Exclamation methadone coming off..

Please dont try to come offf methadone using hydracodone.saboxone is the way to ccome off..i did it before and its great! wish i had some now.hydracodone is another drug.u cant use this to come off of methadone.

jaypee is offline New Member

Default dogg talker and methadone

U should usae saboxone for a week.this is the best way.then use an anxiety med for anothe week.

Thank you all once again for all your suggestions- If I have to ( and it looks more and more like my Dr. friend is too worried about helping himself because he is a friend) just taper this 15mg -3 5mg pills daily- what is the least painful way to do this- OR IS there even a way to do this? I have a very limited amount left- how much can you go down each day-each time- without the horrible symptoms-does anyone know why I did not have any problems going from 5 5x a day down to this amount and yet am having so much trouble with this small amount? Thanks again

You should be able to taper at the rate of 10-15% of your dose at a time. Some people can repeat that every several days, others need a week or a little longer. Be your own judge based on how you feel.

What makes you sick at low doses is the taper needs to be based on a % of your dose. When you were at a higher dose you could probably drop 5mg at a time a be okay. At 15mg you'll need to keep the reductions smaller and reduce again as you feel up to it. Methadone has a very long half life so it takes several days before repeating the reductions without getting sick. Hope that helps. God bless.

Thanks so much -now I finally see why I got so sick-I was taking 1/2 a pill off a DAY and would be sooo sick by day 3. How would you divide a 5mg. pill to take off 10%? I think I know but want to be sure-math is not my forte.Thank you for giving me at least hope that I can do this. Is there anything else that can make this go easier? Vitamins-Acupuncture?

Thanks so much -now I finally see why I got so sick-I was taking 1/2 a pill off a DAY and would be sooo sick by day 3. How would you divide a 5mg. pill to take off 10%? I think I know but want to be sure-math is not my forte.Thank you for giving me at least hope that I can do this. Is there anything else that can make this go easier? Vitamins-Acupuncture?

By that third day the long half life was starting to catch up with you. That is why we tell people to do without any methadone before starting on subs because you still have it in your system and you'll get sick iwith precipitated w/d. Going three days between reductions would be an absolute minimum, I would give it another day or two anyway to make it easier on you.

You should be okay even if you reduce by 1/4 of a pill and add some supplements. You can take Kava for anxiety, L-Tyrosine (1000mg per day with vitamin B-6), add some melatonin and valerian root for sleep. Then give it enough days until you allow for the half life to catch up where you feel better. You can get all this at a vitamin store like GNC or whatever they have where you live. Even walmart should have it. Try to get some exercise too to help with your natural endorphine production. Just push yourself a little depending on your physical health.

Remember that you are tapering so you're supposed to feel a little uncomfortable or you're being too easy on yourself. But don't be a martyr, take your time. Hope that helps and keep us posted. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 04-29-2011 at 03:07 PM.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart- and anyone else who responded with suggestions- It is a hard thing to face when you feel alone and the Drs. who put you in this position don't care to help you escape. I have lost ten years of my life and everything I earned fighting my illness. And I was drugged up so bad I didn't even know how I let it happen. At one time they had me on 3 antidepressants, 3 painkillers, prednisone, lyrica, methilphenidate, anti anxiety meds., and a couple other things all at the same time. Now, this 15mgs. of methadone is all I have left. I had no help from any Dr- they would have preferred I stayed on all of these. None of it helped anything, just kept me so dull I couldn't complain. Thank you all for giving me some hope- I was beginning to think it was the end of the line for me. God Bless you good people.
    GiGiLee58 likes this.

I don't live just to bad mouth sub drs, methadone clinics or pain drs but lots of them are off in another world. They keep writing scripts until we are zombies. I've been there too. My drs had me on 16 prescriptions at one time back before I finally said, "ENOUGH!!!" I stopped going to the pain dr and checked myself into a rehab. Even though I relapsed afterwards and it took another trip to rehab it was a start. I refused to make anymore BMW payments for my stupid pain dr.

You can do this. I've seen numerous people taper all the way down to nothing from methadone. It isn't a piece of cake but you have to ask yourself if it's worth it and it seems from what you've said that it is. Keep me posted. I will help you any way that I'm able. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 04-29-2011 at 06:04 PM.
    GiGiLee58 likes this.

One more question-hope you don't mind- if I take 10% off of every reduction, where do I stop? Or is it 10% of of the 15mgs. I am on now of what would be left? How small should I go? I decided it might be easiest to disolve the 15 in ten cc of water-take off 1cc-and divide the rest into 3cc dose 3x day-does this make sense? what would you go to next reduction? Thank you again. Can't tell you how much you have encouraged me.

One more question-hope you don't mind- if I take 10% off of every reduction, where do I stop? Or is it 10% of of the 15mgs. I am on now of what would be left? How small should I go? I decided it might be easiest to disolve the 15 in ten cc of water-take off 1cc-and divide the rest into 3cc dose 3x day-does this make sense? what would you go to next reduction? Thank you again. Can't tell you how much you have encouraged me.

I personally wouldn't bother with all the water stuff. You can if you want to but I've never messed with dissolving meds in water. Found it is spending too much time messing with the meds. I would reduce 15% of whatever dose I'm on at the time. Starting at 15mg you would reduce to 13.5mg. Then you would reduce that by 15%. Then that next dose would be reduced by 15% and so on down to nothing. I will help you with the math as you reduce. Just keep me posted as you reduce and are ready to reduce again. Have faith, it will work. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 04-29-2011 at 07:26 PM.

Anonymous Guest

i was tapered down on methadone,
    we even got to the stage i was on 1mg, it seems silly to most people, but when you are weaning of methadone, every mg counts,

take your time, once you do a drop, wait at least 4 or 5 days, when you feel ok again, drop a bit more.

and be aware its once you hit zero that the sh%t hits the fan....

in the end i went back to using, this time i used subs to get off, and so far its been successful with nearly 4 months clean, (cept for two times having some, two weeks apart),
    but it is amazing to be clean, and free from the damn chains of methadone..

been there done that, you deserve a lot of credit, it is one of the hardest drugs to come off, and even being down to 15mg you deserve a pat on the back....

the first thing you need is the desire, and you seem to have that, plenty of people just carry on and feel there is no hope, i was one of them at one stage....

good luck to ya,..
    cheeky
    GiGiLee58 likes this.