Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Anonymous
Need To Stop Oxycodone Addiction - Only Take Once Per Day - Please Read
    fisherman123 is offline New Member

Default Need To Stop Oxycodone Addiction - Only Take Once Per Day - Please Read

Hello,
    I am a 40 year old male and have been taking oxycodone once a day, in the morning, for about 3 years.

I started taking it by prescription (5mg), raising it every few months, and now and for the past 3 months, I have been taking 90 mg (6 15mg tablets of immediate release oxycodone), in the morning, once. Nothing in the afternoon and nothing in the evening.

About 4 months ago, when I thought I wanted to stop, I went to a doctor, and we talked about suboxone (hope I spelled that right!), but he said he doesn't think I will even need it, since I only take it once per day. I also told him that in the past, I have been able to stop for 2 weeks at a time, which is the truth.

He told me to try to go cold turkey, and if it doesn't work, to come back and see him, and he will put me on suboxone.

I am ready to try to stop (for the first time), but my question is this:
    Instead of going cold turkey, can I just try to ween myself off of it?

Maybe he is right and I can stop cold turkey and I will be ok. I haven't tried it, so I don't know if it will work.

He is a doctor and his practice is only for people with substance abuse, so I am pretty sure he knows what he is talking about, but I see all the stories online about how stopping cold turkey can cause death.

Would that apply to me, even though I am only taking it once a day, in the morning?

Should I stop suddenly, or should I ween myself off of it?

I am on 90mg of immediate release oxycodone (same as percocet but without the aspirin), once a day, in the AM. (actually it is 6 15mg tablets that I take at one time).

I am tired of this and want to stop it for good.

Please advise. Should I go cold turkey and see what happens, or should I try to ween myself off of it?

I have enough (approx 3 month supply) so I should have enough to ween myself off of it.

The reason I am only on it once a day is because when I first started taking it, I tried it 2 or 3 times a day, but the 2nd and 3rd dose (in the same day) did not give me the 'high' that the first dose would give me, so I have only been taking it in the morning, for 3 years.

The doctor told me that most people take it several times a day and those are the people that need the suboxone. He did say he will give it to me if I can't stop on my own, but said he thinks I should try to stop myself.

Please advise.

I don't want to bring religion into this, but I am a HUGE believer that GOD will answer my prayers, as HE ALWAYS has. I have been praying every day to stop, and it seems like GOD is telling me that I have to take the next step (which I believe is either to go cold turkey, or to ween myself off of them).

And then possibly to get on suboxone.

I have the will power to stop now. Just want to know the best method to do it, in my situation, where I only take it once a day.

He did say something about me having the runs and he told me some over the counter thing to take. Almost like Pepto Bismol but I can't remember what he said to take! He said I will have stomach disorders but said if I take this, it will help me. It wasn't Pepto Bismol, but I can't remember what it was!! Can someone tell me?

And please let me know which method I should use to get off of this.

Thank you and GOD BLESS!

Tony

Anonymous Guest

Hi Tony
    I have quit cold turkey and I have done a taper for me the taper helped till I got down to a low enough dose then I stopped..
    If you do a taper you will just want to take less anytime you feel like you can you wont get high anymore but you will get off the drugs..
    We can make a taper schedule for you if you would like...
    I'm glad you like the BIG MAN ( GOD ) he can help you ALLOT

I haven't heard of any one dyeing from cold turkey tho
    you just wish you would...LOL
    I would try both and if you cant make it we can get you on and off the sub's in no time...Well Robert can help you with that...
    Let us know what you want to do,
    Talk to you soon, Melinda

Default Melinda- Schedule

Hi Melinda, that would help me so much. Can you give me the schedule to taper it off? I will try it.

I take 90 mg per day, in the AM. My pills are 15 mg each, so I have been taking 6 at a time.

Thanks!!

Tony

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman123 View Post
    Hi Melinda, that would help me so much. Can you give me the schedule to taper it off? I will try it.

I take 90 mg per day, in the AM. My pills are 15 mg each, so I have been taking 6 at a time.

Thanks!!

Tony
    Hi Tony
    If your taking 6 in the morning...

start by breaking one of them in half...
    Take 5 and 1/2 for about four days

then drop it to 5 for four days

then go down to 4 and 1/2 stay there for 4 days

then go down to 4 for 4 days

then go down to 3 and 1/2 for 4 day

then 3 for 4 days

2 and 1/2 for 4 days then 2 for four days

1 and 1/2 for 4 days and then 1 for 4 days and then a half for 4 days...

The part where it gets tricky for tapering is you need to say good by to catching the buzz we all like...the taper will just help us not go thru so bad of w/d.

if you feel stable you can drop faster...It's going to be a mental game and you need to win...so keep telling yourself you don't want to take those pills any more and they are evil...even when you take your morning dose tell yourself how much you hate them...
    get on here and post there are allot of people that would love to help..
    and allot more that will be reading your progress...
    Talk to you soon, Melinda
    linda-pyle likes this.

Default Thanks Melinda

Melinda,
    Thanks so much for the information.

I am going to start this tomorrow (Thursday).

I already took my 120mg (6 of the 15 mg tablets) this morning (Wednesday), so I will start the schedule you gave me, tomorrow, April 23, 2009.

I will keep you updated on my progress.

Thanks!

Tony

Anonymous Guest

Hi Tony
    I'm going to put up the Thomas recipe for you...
    I don't think you will need the benzo's but the other stuff will help..
    Talk to you later, Melinda

"PLEASE NOTE: I am not a doctor, simply a long-time Rx opiate junkie who has had many opportunities to develop a way to detox. This is a recipe for at-home self-detox from opiates based on my experience as well as that of many other addicts. It is not intended as professional medical advice. It is always wise to make sure none of the recipe ingredients or procedures conflict with medications you may be taking. Likewise, if you have any medical condition, disease, allergy or any other health issue, consult your doctor before using the recipe. Thanks, Thomas

THOMAS RECIPE

If you can't take time off to detox, I recommend you follow a taper regimen using your drug of choice or suitable alternate -- the slower the taper, the better.

For the Recipe, You'll need:

1. Valium (or another benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, Librium, Ativan or Xanax). Of these, Valium and Klonopin are best suited for tapering since they come in tablet form. Librium is also an excellent detox benzo, but comes in capsules, making it hard to taper the dose. Ativan or Xanax should only be used if you can't get one of the others.

2. Imodium (over the counter, any drug or grocery store).

3. L-Tyrosine (500 mg caps) from the health food store.

4. Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper, Magnesium and Potassium (you may not find the potassium in the same supplement).

5. Vitamin B6 caps.

6. Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available).

How to use the recipe:

Start the vitamin/mineral supplement right away (or the first day you can keep it down), preferably with food. Potassium early in the detox is important to help relieve RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Bananas are a good source of potassium if you can't find a supplement for it.

Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you're aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5.

During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate WD symptom.

Use the Imodium aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. Don't take it, however, if you don't need it.

At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate WD malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.

Continue to take the vitamin/mineral supplement with breakfast.

As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.

Thomas"

evilwayzaz is offline New Member

Default need help

Need help and advice please I have been taking oxycodone 5/325 for back pain for about two years now. Within the past year I have been taking anywhere from 10 to 20 pills per day and its ruing my life.I read all the horror stories about withdrawal therefore I'm scared to stop. I can not go into a detox since I have too many bills and don't want to lose my job. I want to stop cold turkey but also can not bring myself to ween off. I do however have temazepam for sleeping issues and also have about 200 tramadol pills. If I stop taking the oxycodone and start tramadol will this eliminate the oxycodone withdrawal? I'm really scared of the withdrawals and need some help and support. Cold turkey is my only option at this point using the temazepam and tramadol. Pleaase help and any input is appreciated as I don't know what to do and temazepam,tramadol,naproxen and ibuprophen are the only things I have hopefully they can help

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

That tram has a worse WD than the oxycodone does, a lot worse. I quit 20 days ago, cold turkey for the 4th time. I did go to a detox center once, it was a 4 night 3 day stay with a 40/30/20/10mg methadone taper and it worked, but I relapsed 10 days later from anxiety. Anyway the pain WD that you're afraid of really isn't that bad. It's more of a discomfort. Lots of hot baths, sleep aids, muscle relaxers and tylenol will help, but mostly the hot baths and sleep aids. Some things to remember,

You are going to feel pain again, meaning you'll have to adjust to daily lifes aches and pains, walking up stairs will even feel like a chore

You'll tire easy for quite a while. If you do manual labor like I do its going to be a struggle. I work 4 10's and even after 20 days I still have a hard time making it through the day

You'll lose motivation. Even if you're not a depressed person you will experience some, this is the hardest part. The majority of people detoxing will need some form of anti anxiety like Xanax or Ativan.

Sounds like a pain in the rear, and it is however if you are sincere in wanting to quit you can, I know this sounds discouraging but I'm just trying to prepare you for the real WD experience you will have. It's all mental, ghost pains and discomfort is a drag, but from my experience I prefer that over the 7 day itch I get from being drained off all motivation and the false happiness pills can provide. I have an alternative method for tapering also, I'm going to make a post for it so feel free to look for it here in a few minutes. ( 4:30pm PST ) and good luck!

stucky is offline New Member

You do need help immediately. See your Doctor. The original question was about oxycodone addiction which has it's own problems but the person made it clear that they were on pure oxycodone. You are taking generic Percocet or Percodan. Percocet has Tylenol (the 325) and Percodan has 325 mg. aspirin. The 5/325 means 325 mg of Tylenol or aspirin and 5 mg of oxycodone. Oxycodone is very addictive but you have obviously built up a tolerance so it won't kill you. But taking 20 Tylenol a day can cause server damage to your liver and/or kidneys. Taking 20 aspirin will give you an ulcer in time and a bleeding ulcer eventually. I can't believe a Dr. would prescribe that many a day but pick a Dr. and have blood tests for liver and/or kidney damage. I doubt you are taking the generic Percodan 5/325 or you would have an ulcer by now but the Tylenol damage may be more subtle. You are taking over twice the maximum dose for Tylenol and if you do have liver/kidney damage it may be permanent. If you continue to take 20 pills a day you will almost certainly develop organ damage. The oxycodone addiction can wait until you find out what kind of damage you have done to your organs.
    Last edited by stucky; 02-24-2013 at 08:04 AM. Reason: mistake

stucky is offline New Member

Message was meant for "Need Help".