Need help alcohol abuse?
    LOTSAPOP is offline Member

Default Need help alcohol abuse?

My family dr sent me to a pm doctor befour he would take me to a scheldule 111 narcotic. When i went to see the pm dr he gave me a full exam was there for 5 hrs alltogether. To make things short one of questions his nurse asked me if i ever used alcohol,drugs or perscription medication that i wish i hadent and i guess i should of just say no but i told them that there was a few times that i had taken my perscription xanax and my sleeping pill and then someone would call me and ask me to take them somewere or do something and i would have to tell them no because i dont drive after taking them. Then the dr who was out side the room at the time when he came back in and read what the nurse had wrote he ask me about the alcohol. I told him that i do not drink at all and havent for close to 30 yrs i was refering to the meds not alcohol. Well when i went back to my fp dr he asked me about the alcohol and i told him it was the perscription meds i was refering to not alcohol. Well they increased my pain meds and took away the sleeping pills and droped me from 3 xanax a day to 1. Then he told me i would have to go to this place called talboot hall. Not really paying any attention because i had to go to see another dr for my broken hand. I called back later to find out what the place was i had to go to the lady came back and told me it was a place for alcohol abuse. I told her i dont drink and she said well if you dont go they might refuse to treat me anymore. Any suggestions on what to do . I am 53 yrs old and havent drank in almost 30 yrs but it seems like they dont care
    jon11

Normankay is offline Member

The doctor might just want you to understand addiction. My main problem wasn't alcohol it was prescription medications. However now to understand my addiction I go to AA to understand why I take the drugs I do. Maybe your doctor just see that you may be addicted. Now if you go to this Talbot Hall place replace the word alchol or getting drunk with prescription meds and feeling better. You may not be addicted however you are more than likely tolerant to the prescription meds. Xanax is one hard drug to quit taking, esp out of the blue.

Normankay is offline Member

The doctor might just want you to understand addiction. My main problem wasn't alcohol it was prescription medications. However now to understand my addiction I go to AA to understand why I take the drugs I do. Maybe your doctor just see that you may be addicted. Now if you go to this Talbot Hall place replace the word alchol or getting drunk with prescription meds and feeling better. You may not be addicted however you are more than likely tolerant to the prescription meds. Xanax is one hard drug to quit taking, esp out of the blue. Also my main problem wasn't alcohol, it was prescription drugs/>>>>>>. However when I quit using pain pills, alcohol is the closest drug that can cut the edge from prescription pills/ >>>>>>.

shybaybe2003 is offline Senior Member

I too have had a serous drinking in the past. I finally was able to kick it a year and a half a go. Now its this pill thing i cant shake. I was a heavey daily drinker throughtout most my twenties, add along some narcotics i was flying high, when i wasnt trying to slit my wrist! I am 33..ok 32 and a half). I wish to GOD I never would have got my first job in a pharmacy. And when it came to acohol, as this is , i could only feel comfortable around a guy if i was buzzed or drunk. I never would had my child if i'd been on the wagon
    im not having much luck with the pills, but I do know what your going through with the the alcohol. I have SO been there! people here can tell yuo to stop NOW..but that is up to u. You know when your nearing your "Botttom"
    Last edited by shybaybe2003; 02-16-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: error

LOTSAPOP is offline Member

Default shybaybe2003

Did you not read my post. I DO NOT DRINK ! I havent in 30yrs and didn't have a problem with it when i was younger. I take perscription meds under physicans care and take as perscribed.
    jon11

O2banurse is offline New Member

I would call the PM Dr. and ask him to clarify the reason he is sending you to a rehab for alcohol abuse when you do not drink or use your prescription drugs improperly. Maybe the nurse wasn't actively listening or misinterpreted your answer. Either way, you should be able to get the reason the PM made this decision and verify your file has accurate information. I hope this helps, and understand how frustrated you must feel. If the PM is sending you to get insight on the risk of addiction to your medications, he/she should make that clear.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by O2banurse View Post
    I would call the PM Dr. and ask him to clarify the reason he is sending you to a rehab for alcohol abuse when you do not drink or use your prescription drugs improperly. Maybe the nurse wasn't actively listening or misinterpreted your answer. Either way, you should be able to get the reason the PM made this decision and verify your file has accurate information. I hope this helps, and understand how frustrated you must feel. If the PM is sending you to get insight on the risk of addiction to your medications, he/she should make that clear.
    I 2nd O2banurse, when I started going to my primary care doctor and told him I was a recovering alcoholic with now over 14 years sober. However I wanted him to know, because that could lead to me being addicted to something and I wanted him to be careful what he prescribed me. We've worked together a lot b/c of the condition I have and have a trust bond, b/c he knows now that I will not abuse anything he gives me.
    I truly can't think of any reason for why they are sending you there.....sounds like a misunderstanding to me.......plus, you don't want your chart's wrong or misunderstood, you were merely giving the hx that you should have given. However it is true that us alcoholics do usually have addictive personalities, so I understand them being cautious, but alc clinic??? don't understand.
    Good luck!

lancekerry is offline New Member

You can check your blood, if you have drunk alcohol test will show.

chicago101 is offline New Member

Clarify to your DR that you don't drink, then maybe he/she has an explanation why you have to go to this talboot hall.