Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
My journey off of suboxone
    jaypbarb666 is offline Member

Default My journey off of suboxone

I'm going to do a suboxone taper and post it here for people to read who are in similar situations. A lot of us have been given plans by doctors or read about tapers online, but everybody is different and no one really knows what's going to happen to them when they decide the time to stop suboxone use.

A little background on me. I was an addict by age 17, using >>>>>> everyday. I did >>>>>> all day long and would drink alcohol all night, wake up and repeat. Opiates have always been my drug of choice. In high school my friends and I experimented with everything, but the first time I popped some vicodins I was hooked. I eventually "graduated" to morphine, oxy's and everything else we could get our hands on and then eventually >>>>>>. I also had 2 back surgeries during my 6 year run and got prescribed plenty from 2 different doctors for those. FInally I was fed up, had enough, told everyone in my family what was going on and began rehab. That was almost a year ago, and I've been using suboxone the whole time.

My taper begins like this - 1mg 6 days per week and .5mg the other day for 2 weeks
    1mg 5 days per week and .5mg the other 2 days for 2 weeks
    Alternating 1mg and .5mg every other day for 2 weeks

After that I have another appointment, and I believe the plan will be .5mg every other day for 6 weeks and then make the jump off.

I will also add a few more things about myself that most of you have experienced. I've tried stopping subs 2 times before. It is fine the first day, like for example last time I took a final half of 2mg pill monday morning, was fine through tuesday, but then late tuesday night/early wednesday morning I start noticing withdrawal effects. I started getting the runs, started getting really cold but sweating, and got bad restless legs and insomnia. I took a crumb of a pill and felt great and fell asleep immediately.

Just the other day I took a major cutback. I was taking about 1mg per day but started to run out. My doctor couldn't see me til Friday and on Monday I only had half a 2mg pill left. So basically Tuesday, Wed and Thurs I only took 1/8 of a small pill per day. For the most part I was fine, just a little chilly with minor sweating and a few bad trips to the toilet. It was not unbearable though and I get the feeling jumping off won't be much worse. I've read the half life of subs is 36 hours and my doctor backed that up by telling me it is a strong opiod with a long half-life which makes coming off it when taking it everyday basically, well, sucks.

So she finally told me I need to stop trying to rush into my taper plan. Even though I want off subs, I need to be patient and do it very slowly. She believes I'm mentally and physically strong enough to be completely sober, I just need to give my body time to adjust. I don't keep going back to my subs because I'm afraid to go through life without drugs, I'm afraid of those darn withdrawals, especially when they onset somewhere like school or work where being sick is even more uncomfortable than usual.

So I think I've given more than enough background on myself. I won't really be updating this thread a ton since my taper will be a very long and slow one. But stay tuned, plenty of the threads around here are about trying to get off subs, so everyone can see some real life proof of getting off first street drugs and second subs with pain free withdrawals. It can be done folks, thanks for supporting me!

I'm going to be on subs for a little while longer. I was scared my doctor would be upset about me going backwards, but she actually suggested it. With the pressure of my last semester of school right now, we decided it was a bad time to stop subs. My new goal now is to quit over the winter break. Once I get there, I will use this log to track my experiences of the quitting and withdrawing process for everyone to follow. I will prove that with a proper taper plan and help from doctors, therapy and meetings that suboxone can be quit pain free.

Default Slow is better

My experience tels me that I tapered much too fast--I'm 28 days sub-free and still withdrawing (sweats, high BP, nausea, no sleep, lead suit). So I agree with your doctor that a slow taper will let you continue to function without crashing.

Good luck--keep moving forward,

Shrimpboat

lady from T.O. is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jaypbarb666 View Post
    I will also add a few more things about myself that most of you have experienced. I've tried stopping subs 2 times before. It is fine the first day, like for example last time I took a final half of 2mg pill monday morning, was fine through tuesday, but then late tuesday night/early wednesday morning I start noticing withdrawal effects. I started getting the runs, started getting really cold but sweating, and got bad restless legs and insomnia. I took a crumb of a pill and felt great and fell asleep immediately.

Just the other day I took a major cutback. I was taking about 1mg per day but started to run out. My doctor couldn't see me til Friday and on Monday I only had half a 2mg pill left. So basically Tuesday, Wed and Thurs I only took 1/8 of a small pill per day. For the most part I was fine, just a little chilly with minor sweating and a few bad trips to the toilet. It was not unbearable though and I get the feeling jumping off won't be much worse. I've read the half life of subs is 36 hours and my doctor backed that up by telling me it is a strong opiod with a long half-life which makes coming off it when taking it everyday basically, well, sucks.

So she finally told me I need to stop trying to rush into my taper plan. Even though I want off subs, I need to be patient and do it very slowly. She believes I'm mentally and physically strong enough to be completely sober, I just need to give my body time to adjust. I don't keep going back to my subs because I'm afraid to go through life without drugs, I'm afraid of those darn withdrawals, especially when they onset somewhere like school or work where being sick is even more uncomfortable than usual.

So I think I've given more than enough background on myself. I won't really be updating this thread a ton since my taper will be a very long and slow one. But stay tuned, plenty of the threads around here are about trying to get off subs, so everyone can see some real life proof of getting off first street drugs and second subs with pain free withdrawals. It can be done folks, thanks for supporting me!
    Hi there!

I'd like to ask a couple of questions, if you don't mind. You might have mentioned something, I didn't read each and every post word for word, so if you have to repeat yourself, please have patience.
    First I'll tell you a bit about me.
    I'm,a 57 year-old woman. I've been addicted to pain pills-percs-since 2003. I've tried several time to stop -no luck.
    At the time I stopped, this past September, I was using on average 25 5mg. percs a day.
    I started on sub this past Sept. 2nd. I started out on 8mg. for a few days. I was still having major cravings and some physical ills, so at the present I am on 18mg. daily.

What did you start out on?
    What was your highest dose and how long did you stay on that dose.
    How much did you go down once you started tapering?
    What was it like for you.
    I'd so appreciate if you could offer your own experiences,
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lady from T.O. View Post
    Hi there!

I'd like to ask a couple of questions, if you don't mind. You might have mentioned something, I didn't read each and every post word for word, so if you have to repeat yourself, please have patience.
    First I'll tell you a bit about me.
    I'm,a 57 year-old woman. I've been addicted to pain pills-percs-since 2003. I've tried several time to stop -no luck.
    At the time I stopped, this past September, I was using on average 25 5mg. percs a day.
    I started on sub this past Sept. 2nd. I started out on 8mg. for a few days. I was still having major cravings and some physical ills, so at the present I am on 18mg. daily.

What did you start out on?
    What was your highest dose and how long did you stay on that dose.
    How much did you go down once you started tapering?
    What was it like for you.
    I'd so appreciate if you could offer your own experiences,
    thanks
    I started out at 16mg daily. I would sometimes take as much as 20 or even 24. I stayed on 16mg for probably about 3 months or so. For me, after being at 16mg that long, it was easy to taper. I noticed as long as I took some dose everyday I was fine. I think I cut down to 8mg from 16 with no problem. Even 8mg was a lot for me. After a few months I went to 4mg per day. Still no problems. Then I started to get the little 2mg pills and would take 2mg in the morning and 1mg at night. After a month I did just 1mg per day, and somedays just 1/4 pill. I really had no problems til I tried to go less than 0.5mg per day. I would try to take just 1/8 of a small pill per day or skip days. That's when things started going bad. That's when I could actually notice my body experiencing withdrawal symptoms. I've been at more or less anywhere from 2mg to .5 per day.

When I tried to taper too fast I would notice I was going 1 step forward and 2 back. Luckily my doctor is very cool. She encourages me not to taper fast. She reminds me my body hasn't went a single day without opiates in years and it's going to be hard to stop. But she also leaves my dosages completely up to me. If I have strong cravings I can take more and if I run out early she will give me more. She trusts me a lot and is pleased with how I'm doing so far. My plan is for me to gradually get down to .5mg in November and jumping off over Christmas break. I"ll keep you updated. Thanks for reading and supporting me Shrimpboat and Lady TO

FreeMe2011 is offline Member

Jay,

How you doing buddy?

Quote Originally Posted by FreeMe2011 View Post
    Jay,

How you doing buddy?
    Doing good, thanks. I won't have much to post for probably a few weeks when the real tapering begins. I'm staying steady right now, going real slow until I start getting down to the really low doses. I'll be posting more when I start the final taper and when I finally jump to 0.

Well the time is finally here. This is time to start following ladies and gentleman, if you want a real idea of what sub withdrawals are like. I didn't even taper down as much as I should of. I was doing about 1mg per day. I took 1mg tuesday around 7pm. I went all day yesterday feeling alright, and at about 10pm last night I took a tiny, tiny crumb of a pill, like less than 1/8 of a small pill.

This morning I took a chip even smaller than that, maybe like 1/10 of a pill. And now I only have 1 dose left about that same size. I'm going to try not to take it til Saturday or Sunday. I figure if I can go 2-3 days on that small of a dose, jumping off should be no problem. Those little 1/8 small pill chips are enough to make me surprisingly good, not just get rid of the sucky symptoms.

I will post at least once per day from here on out to say how it's going. I want to try to inspire people to realize that quitting suboxone isn't as scary and terrible as a lot of people say. I'm not expecting the flu of all flu's to hit and incapacitate me for 6-8 weeks. Thanks for reading.

Alright guys. As mentioned I took a small, small chunk on Thursday, and slept pretty good until the morning. It did take me longer than usual to fall asleep, like probably a good hour to an hour and a half before I fell asleep, but once I did I actually stayed asleep. But for some reason, I was lethargic once I finally got up. Work yesterday was not bad at all. I was pretty chilly the whole time even with 2 shirts and a sweatshirt. Chills and a fairly uncomfortable headache were the only two problems. OK actually 3 because I also had 0 appetite, and I am a big guy that eats a lot.

So there was no vomitting, diarhea, and only minimal discomfort in the form of chills and a headache. Considering I've only had about .5mg the last 3 1/2 days, it's not unbearable. I'm not saying the symptoms aren't there, but it's not the black death either.

Last night I slept from midnight til 4am. I fell asleep fast, but once I woke up at 4, it was none stop restless legs and back pain and I laid on the couch til 8am before quitting on trying to fall asleep. Hopefully that means I will sleep sound tonight. If I do, I predict tomorrow won't be worse than today, and Monday will be a little better. If that's the case I think within a week I'll be feeling pretty much normal.

Saturday night, sleep was still not easy to come by. Every time I shift positions I feel like the restless legs are gone, but then 10 seconds later I have to move again. Once I fall asleep, I can stay asleep for a little bit. But once I'm up, I can't fall back asleep. If I can get a few hours of sleep per night and then fall asleep on the couch after work for a little bit, I can make it. I can deal with any symptoms except not getting sleep. Probably because my body is use to a lot, and my body is usually tired because my strongman training is very intense so I'm always beat. I need to try to get back to my lifting schedule, as that should bomb the restless legs and force my body to sleep.

Other than that, I don't have much else to complain about. The only two symptoms that bother me are the chills and stomach issues. My advice to anyone with these symptoms is to see if you can shower a couple times per day (if you sweat as much as I do with the chills) and keep fresh clothes on. Also, wearing an extra layer or two as well as extra socks and a winter cap help me battle chills. I also try to drink room temp water, hot tea or coffee to warm up.

As for the stomach problems, they aren't bad. I suggest trying to eat small but frequent meals of healthy food without too much fat and sugar. Staying hydrated is the biggest key to battle diarrhea too. Water and gatorade will handle that. And if the withdrawals give you the runs, drink even more because diarrhea is not only a symptom of dehydration, but cause it as well. If staying hydrated and eating good still can't calm your stomach, nothing is more powerful than immodium and/or kaopectate. Both help cure and prevent the runs and relax the digestive tract muscles. If you experience vomiting, ask your doctor about something like phenergan, which prevents vomiting and dizziness too.

^That was yesterdays post. Today is now Monday as I'm typing this. The last week I've had .25mg, and 0 in the last 4 days. I will be honest with you guys, it's not so bad. It's not worse than anything you've been through before if you are on suboxone, so don't believe the horror stories, PLEASE. And 1 other thing, you don't have to be so meticulous with your taper or when you jump off. Let me tell you about one of my friends. He was the worse addict I knew, and he started on suboxone at 16mg per day like everyone from these parts. Anyway, he stayed on it for over 3 years, and barely tapered. He got down to 2mg per day, and jumped off. He didn't go down to 1, 0.5, 0.25, 0.1, he didn't dose every other day. He went from 2mg everyday to 0 and said other than some diarrhea, it wasn't even that bad. And now, I believe him. He inspired me to finally jump, and knowing I actually did taper down made me confident. If he could jump from that with minimal discomfort, I could easily jump from a tiny dose and be fine.

Now everybody is different, I know that. But I think a lot of people out there are exaggerating how bad it is. I won't do that to you guys. Yes, I'm a little uncomfortable, but it is tolerable. And it won't last friggin 100 days like others say. He did it, I can do it, you can do it. If you need inspiration, use this.

Katwontlisten is offline Junior Member

I have been thinking about this whole Suboxone taper thing. I mean nothing but the utmost respect to all of the posters here so I am sorry if this sounds disrespectful. Ok, here it is: I think that a lot of us Suboxone users get in too big of a hurry to want to get off of it after we start it. I have been addicted to hydrocodone for roughly 6 years. A few years ago I was able to get clean with the help of suboxone. However I feel that was cut short due to my own hurry to get off of the sub. I am not quite 2 weeks into my recovery again. My first instinct was to want to hurry up and taper down to nothing. But after a 6 year addiction, I am going to do it much slower and allow myself a full recovery, realizing that it will take time. My insurance will pay for the Suboxone for a year. No, of course I don't want to be on it for that long, but I know for a full recovery I should definitely be on it for awhile. Best of luck to everyone trying to find their way out of this horrible disease of addiction. Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Katwontlisten View Post
    I have been thinking about this whole Suboxone taper thing. I mean nothing but the utmost respect to all of the posters here so I am sorry if this sounds disrespectful. Ok, here it is: I think that a lot of us Suboxone users get in too big of a hurry to want to get off of it after we start it. I have been addicted to hydrocodone for roughly 6 years. A few years ago I was able to get clean with the help of suboxone. However I feel that was cut short due to my own hurry to get off of the sub. I am not quite 2 weeks into my recovery again. My first instinct was to want to hurry up and taper down to nothing. But after a 6 year addiction, I am going to do it much slower and allow myself a full recovery, realizing that it will take time. My insurance will pay for the Suboxone for a year. No, of course I don't want to be on it for that long, but I know for a full recovery I should definitely be on it for awhile. Best of luck to everyone trying to find their way out of this horrible disease of addiction. Kathy
    I am with you. I wanted to quit after only 3 months, then 6 months, then 9 months, then a year. My doctor kept telling me the reason my quitting kept failing was I was trying to rush it. And when I rushed it, I would end up going backward. I would taper down to a quarter a day, then when I tried to stop and it sucked, I would be back up to a whole pill. It wasn't good. My doctor has been very cool and understanding and basically leaving everything up to me. But she also lets me know when I'm wrong and has helped me a lot. But, I've been on it over a year and a month and am ready to stop, and now that I've proven I can go days without it, there's no reason to turn around now. And if something bad happens and I somehow relapse, I know I can be honest with my doc since I trust her, and she will always be there for me and help get back into rehab and never give up on me.

Been enjoying the post Jay. I'm at 2mg per day until Thursday and then I have one 8mg pill left. going to do 1mg and try and make it last 7 days. will probably do the day skipping as well but almost ready to just face it. tried the 2 does per day thing but to be honest I like just taking once since when you ad it twice a day that is all I think about.....wanting that next dose. Just addictive behavior I realize.

So, I'll be right there with you in the next couple of days. I'm certainly scared a bit but ready.

best,
    FM11

I should ad that I've been on the subs almost the same as you. As of Dec 1 it will be exactly 11 months. I've been on anywhere between 4-6mg over the last 2 month but consistently on 2mg for about 2 weeks. I had entirly too many pills when I quit the "program" so I would often stray during stressful times and get the energy. Crazy stuff and for me I do think it is like switching one addiction to another. I know people getting off that have access to street drugs it is a god send but for me I have no access and when i'm done, I'm done. Now the chronic pain coming back is another story that sucks but whole other deal.

I subscribed to your thread so I'll be staying informed on your progress. I'm liking this because man you do hear some horror stories of long-term wd. Guess we'll see. I got about a week and while I'll try and chip it up I almost want to just say f-it and be done.
    FM11

I should ad that I've been on the subs almost the same as you. As of Dec 1 it will be exactly 11 months. I've been on anywhere between 4-6mg over the last 2 month but consistently on 2mg for about 2 weeks. I had entirly too many pills when I quit the "program" so I would often stray during stressful times and get the energy. Crazy stuff and for me I do think it is like switching one addiction to another. I know people getting off that have access to street drugs it is a god send but for me I have no access and when i'm done, I'm done. Now the chronic pain coming back is another story that sucks but whole other deal.

I subscribed to your thread so I'll be staying informed on your progress. I'm liking this because man you do hear some horror stories of long-term wd. Guess we'll see. I got about a week and while I'll try and chip it up I almost want to just say f-it and be done.
    FM11
    We are in a very similar boat here. Back when I was getting like 90 - 8mg at a time I would take them for seemingly no reason or give them to my friends (bad idea). I use to get refills when I still had a ton left. Then I tapered down and had no problem, my guess is because going down to even 4mg per day is still a hefty dose in my opinion. However once I got down to the half to one milligram per day I started to run out right on time and then when I got another refill I would start taking whole pills again. Again, bad idea.

My best advice to you is don't be afraid of tapering and/or stopping. I made the mistake of buying into everyone else's horror stories that I would talk myself into having insomnia or pain. Then I would realize in my head "wait a second, I took a half pill only 12 hours ago...there is NO WAY I could be having withdrawals." Sound familiar?

Anyway, I think the key to my success thus far was periodically skipping days when I didn't need to. I would try to go from Monday morning to Tuesday night (36 hours) each week on only a quarter pill. Once I could do that, it got me over the mental part. One time I made it 3 days on a quarter pill before finally taking some. Those were important times. It made me confident I could quit. One final piece of advice is, IF YOU HAVE THE WILL POWER, to save a half pill or so for an absolute emergency. I know for me personally, being totally out would make me worry so much it would increase the symptoms which are a large part psychological, trust me on that. If you are convinced you won't fall asleep at night or that you should be in pain or have stomach problems, YOU WILL. If you have the power to have a chunk and not take it, do it. And if you make it a good 4-5 days (or even longer would be fantastic) without any, and the withdrawals are not unbearable, you could problem even make that half pill last you a month, and at that point you should be able to jump with minimal discomfort.

Just stay positive no matter what. I will do it, my friends have done it, and probably millions of people have all gotten through it. Just cause you read about 10 people on the internet of the millions in real life who were pussies and think a couple days of runs caused by something else was equal to 3 months of terminal cancer is no reason to worry.

FM11
    I realized that above I didn't really address what you posted lol. I can understand what people mean about the switching one addiction to another. I even felt a fairly reasonable "high" when I took my subs, especially went I went a couple days without it. I of course though would not recommend using street drugs to get off subs. Suboxone isn't a full opiod agonist as you may know. And popping a couple narcs or a small bump of something else could be all it takes you spiral you back into the lifestyle. I must say back pain was something I experienced badly when quitting, especially since I am a strongman competitor, so deadlifting very heavy weight and lifting giant stones and running with heavy yokes kills the back too. But over the counter painkillers, ice packs, heat pads, showers and massages should be plenty to fix that.

My last advice to you would be take your taper very, very slow. If you were at 4-6mg only a couple months ago I think you should spend at least 4-5 more months tapering. Try to cut just 1 milligram per month, then get down to .75 for 2 weeks, .5 for 2 weeks, .25 for 2 weeks and .25 milligrams every 2-3 days for 2 weeks before you stop. It may seem slow and tedious, but in the grand scheme it is very short and will save you major setbacks later on.

Katwontlisten is offline Junior Member

Cool

Just remember this guys, it took us a long time to get in this hell hole and it will take us time to get out too. To each his own, but I am going to taper slowly to ensure a full recovery. Good luck guys. Do whatever works for you.

Kathy

Hi Jay and Kat,

My tapering journey has not been very scientific but basically I've went from a max of 24mg / day down to 2mg / day over the last 6 months with very little discomfort. For me though just having them is too tempting. If I'm stressed, not feeling great or, frankly, bored, hey pop a sub and feel better. I'm kind of glad but also scared to be where I am, which is one 8mg pill. So Jay I can't do another 2-3 months of taper and to be honest, like I mention above, I don't have the best will power anyway.

Kat, I agree slow is definitely good. Feel like I've done a decent job but for me it takes a lot of will power to not take them. I do feel lucky that my pain management journey was only about a year and the subs a year so I'm just hopeful that the relatively short time will help me out in this end time. I got on the sub because I was going on the first trip out of country I've had in 7 years and was about to wd on the opiates. Couldn't do it. Although I did educate myself somewhat before I went on I didn't find the forum until I was 24mg into it and realized the doc, like most, was out to keep me on em'.

Crazy loop for sure. Wishing only the best soliders! keep fighting. I'll be dropping to 1mg / day tomorrow and then start skipping a day here or there next week.

Best,
    FM11

Hi Jay and Kat,

My tapering journey has not been very scientific but basically I've went from a max of 24mg / day down to 2mg / day over the last 6 months with very little discomfort. For me though just having them is too tempting. If I'm stressed, not feeling great or, frankly, bored, hey pop a sub and feel better. I'm kind of glad but also scared to be where I am, which is one 8mg pill. So Jay I can't do another 2-3 months of taper and to be honest, like I mention above, I don't have the best will power anyway.

Kat, I agree slow is definitely good. Feel like I've done a decent job but for me it takes a lot of will power to not take them. I do feel lucky that my pain management journey was only about a year and the subs a year so I'm just hopeful that the relatively short time will help me out in this end time. I got on the sub because I was going on the first trip out of country I've had in 7 years and was about to wd on the opiates. Couldn't do it. Although I did educate myself somewhat before I went on I didn't find the forum until I was 24mg into it and realized the doc, like most, was out to keep me on em'.

Crazy loop for sure. Wishing only the best soliders! keep fighting. I'll be dropping to 1mg / day tomorrow and then start skipping a day here or there next week.

Best,
    FM11
    If you went through a doc and were getting 24mg per day, how did you get into this situation? How are you down to 1 pill with no ability to get more? If it is possible, you should have a doctor on your side to help you with the taper and who you can turn to if you get in trouble. I was very comfortable knowing my doctor trusted me, and would let me go as slow as I want, and even one time called in a script for me over the phone when I tried to quit once even though that's not even legal lol.

Anyway, if you can't have a doctor help you, can't get more than 1 final pill, and can't detox in an in-patient rehab, still do not worry. You can make it. Those 8mg pills are huge, keep in mind even the smallest little chunk of it probably has at least .5mg (1/16th a pill) which should be enough to keep you feeling good for 2 or even 3 days. Just go as slow as you can, the slower the better. Each extra hour you can hold out before taking a chip will make it easier when you quit. Each minute you go without subs you are closer to freedom. Just stay focused and positive, you will be better before you know it. My doctor explained to me that yes, suboxone does have a longer half life than full opiods, but no, that doesn't mean you will withdraw for months like some say. You should notice at about day 4 it's at it's worse, which isn't all that bad, and that after 1 short, measly week you will start feeling better.

I put myself in the situation because I didn't want to be on for over a year and plus the doc and all the "meetings" are 2 hours round trip and I don't have that kind of time. So between 60 some pills I saved and then the 90 on the last visit sometime earlier this summer I took the taper on myself.

Now the doc wasn't all that bad, aside from never looking you in the eye and always writing on his pen top and maybe spending 1.75 minutes (pretty much pill mill) with a patient. I had expressed wanting to get off asap but was convinced to give it some more time to "help" me get off the opiates. Funny thing is I have no way to get outside of pain clinic and I was done but just wanted to not feel bad. funny eh, take a pill to not feel bad and then ultimately feel bad. I know the subs change a lot of peoples lives and I'm all for it but in my opinion and experience it is swapping one 'addiction' for another. when i finally said enough, I was honest and told him exactly what I was doing and asked if there was some sort of taper schedule I could follow. he simply said something like 'it is up to the individual'. Zero help with the taper and luckily i had already found the forum and the "robert" method etc Not that I've done a great job overall but having this forum and others to talk to has been way better than my doctor. I'm so glad you have a good one who wants to help. You can search some of my posts for the details. Story is not unlike many here.

I could easily go back and say I'm not done tapering and I'm very sure they would be more than happy to get me back in the program. But for me it is time to pay the piper. Ironically the holidays and travel is what got me into this. didn't want to wd during the holidays and here I am going to wd during the holidays. But I really like Jays attitude and why I wanted to be apart of his thread. I know the subs are powerful but I've been on 2mg / day for a while and while I have some sort of cold right now and I can't really tell that I feel all that bad from the subs. The next week is going to be the real deal so I guess we will see.

I really appreciate all the positive words and outlook Kat. I'm typically a very positive person so I appreciate that. I do get down that I got myself in this situation but when I went to pain management I was only trying to help myself out. I suffer from real chronic pain but it was just medication and we all know how that road ends. wish I knew what I know now. Then the subs only to no feel bad. got kids, career and just can't wd and had no idea at first how powerful the subs were. again all on me but man would be nice if these docs sat you down and explained the long-term. oh well, almost done. can't look back.

have a great weekend guys. talk soon and I appreciate it. Jay how is it going buddy? eager to know your status as it seems we are in the exact same spot. so far 2mg / day once a day is fine on me. a little tired but again got a cold so hard to tell which is which. Today I found a little 1.5mg chip so went with that but tomorrow I'm on a strict 1mg / day. I would do it twice a day but so little it is hard to be exact and I feel if you can just take once and feel ok then that has to be better?

see ya.
    FM11

I put myself in the situation because I didn't want to be on for over a year and plus the doc and all the "meetings" are 2 hours round trip and I don't have that kind of time. So between 60 some pills I saved and then the 90 on the last visit sometime earlier this summer I took the taper on myself.

Now the doc wasn't all that bad, aside from never looking you in the eye and always writing on his pen top and maybe spending 1.75 minutes (pretty much pill mill) with a patient. I had expressed wanting to get off asap but was convinced to give it some more time to "help" me get off the opiates. Funny thing is I have no way to get outside of pain clinic and I was done but just wanted to not feel bad. funny eh, take a pill to not feel bad and then ultimately feel bad. I know the subs change a lot of peoples lives and I'm all for it but in my opinion and experience it is swapping one 'addiction' for another. when i finally said enough, I was honest and told him exactly what I was doing and asked if there was some sort of taper schedule I could follow. he simply said something like 'it is up to the individual'. Zero help with the taper and luckily i had already found the forum and the "robert" method etc Not that I've done a great job overall but having this forum and others to talk to has been way better than my doctor. I'm so glad you have a good one who wants to help. You can search some of my posts for the details. Story is not unlike many here.

I could easily go back and say I'm not done tapering and I'm very sure they would be more than happy to get me back in the program. But for me it is time to pay the piper. Ironically the holidays and travel is what got me into this. didn't want to wd during the holidays and here I am going to wd during the holidays. But I really like Jays attitude and why I wanted to be apart of his thread. I know the subs are powerful but I've been on 2mg / day for a while and while I have some sort of cold right now and I can't really tell that I feel all that bad from the subs. The next week is going to be the real deal so I guess we will see.

I really appreciate all the positive words and outlook Kat. I'm typically a very positive person so I appreciate that. I do get down that I got myself in this situation but when I went to pain management I was only trying to help myself out. I suffer from real chronic pain but it was just medication and we all know how that road ends. wish I knew what I know now. Then the subs only to no feel bad. got kids, career and just can't wd and had no idea at first how powerful the subs were. again all on me but man would be nice if these docs sat you down and explained the long-term. oh well, almost done. can't look back.

have a great weekend guys. talk soon and I appreciate it. Jay how is it going buddy? eager to know your status as it seems we are in the exact same spot. so far 2mg / day once a day is fine on me. a little tired but again got a cold so hard to tell which is which. Today I found a little 1.5mg chip so went with that but tomorrow I'm on a strict 1mg / day. I would do it twice a day but so little it is hard to be exact and I feel if you can just take once and feel ok then that has to be better?

see ya.
    FM11
    I think you will be just fine honestly. A positive attitude will help a lot. And you seem like a pretty competent person who has a lot of info on subs. The people who don't really do a lot of research are the ones who likely won't have a pleasant time going off. Plenty of people say things like "I was clean from opiates for 5 years. I was on 16mg per day and when I stopped it was even worse than than the >>>>>> withdrawals." I'd say jumping to 0 even from 2mg wouldn't be purely awful if you were at those dose for a while and your body was only use to 2mg per day. As I said, a friend of mine jumped from 2mg per day and said besides the runs it wasn't that bad. He also commented he doesn't eat healthy and sh*t a lot even when he was on the subs lol.

The reason I took my taper so slow was because when I went too fast it failed and I went back on even higher doses than I was use to. Also, I though that the longer I stayed on subs the worse the withdrawals would be. My doctor let me know that was NOT true. The longer you stay at a small dose (.5mg or less/once daily) the in fact EASIER it would be to stop. She is a smart doctor, and isn't naive to the power of subs. She really is an expert on them and I was impressed with how much she knew.

The fact you are on these forums says you are knowledgeable and thus 10 steps ahead of people who try to stop without this kind of information. If you make that final pill last at least 4-5 doses and you can preferably go 48+ hours between doses, you should have minimal discomfort. I tried multiple times to jump and failed, and took my taper very slow. But now I realize all that preparing for the worst guaranteed the best would happen. Since you know what you are doing, you should be successful. I'm at just about a week free now and it wasn't all that bad. My doctor said after a week it will start getting better, which makes me feel good, and makes me believe you will be alright too Freeme. Best wishes.

Hi Jay,

Thanks man for the words. Although I've been a little sick I can't really tell if it is the switch to 1mg / day or just being ill so at worst this stage is just like having a cold. Not bad at all. Today is day 3 at 1mg so I will be approaching 1/2 life from the 2mg / day and in theory this afternoon / tomorrow I will know if I'm experiencing any "issues" with the drop. I know subs are powerful but I just can't help thinking this isn't all that bad. No where near an true opiat wd for sure.

With 5 ~1mg chips I may try to skip a day, maybe Wed, and see how that goes but I guess my plan would be to jump at around 1mg. That would be around Sat / Sun unless I want to get fancy and do some day skipping or breaking those little pieces up. To be honest I'm ready to just stop messing with it. They are so small at this point and while I need to try and be as comfortable as possible I just can't fathom that if I feel ok at 1mg that I'm not ready to pull the plug.

Dunno, guess we will see. Again appreciate the words of encouragement. A lot of inspiration around here for sure.

Best.
    FM11

Hi Jay,

Thanks man for the words. Although I've been a little sick I can't really tell if it is the switch to 1mg / day or just being ill so at worst this stage is just like having a cold. Not bad at all. Today is day 3 at 1mg so I will be approaching 1/2 life from the 2mg / day and in theory this afternoon / tomorrow I will know if I'm experiencing any "issues" with the drop. I know subs are powerful but I just can't help thinking this isn't all that bad. No where near an true opiat wd for sure.

With 5 ~1mg chips I may try to skip a day, maybe Wed, and see how that goes but I guess my plan would be to jump at around 1mg. That would be around Sat / Sun unless I want to get fancy and do some day skipping or breaking those little pieces up. To be honest I'm ready to just stop messing with it. They are so small at this point and while I need to try and be as comfortable as possible I just can't fathom that if I feel ok at 1mg that I'm not ready to pull the plug.

Dunno, guess we will see. Again appreciate the words of encouragement. A lot of inspiration around here for sure.

Best.
    FM11
    I don't believe you have to worry about things getting worse. I know people say the half life is super long blah blah blah, but the three times I tried quitting, I noticed the symptoms coming on at right about the 36 hour mark. And after the 72 hour mark they did not get any worse.

I think what you are feeling now might be legitimate sickness. A 1mg dose everyday should be powerful enough to combat opiate induced withdrawals. My recommendation to you, is if what you are feeling now is not all that bad, is to try to go 2-3 whole days. A few days of discomfort will make it so much easier to jump off for real. I noticed when I was unsuccessful quitting, just that 2-3 days without subs made it so when I did take some again finally, I felt better physically and even mentally like I did not really needs subs anymore and that I wouldn't even have withdrawals when I stop for real.

Hi Jay,

Best.
    FM11
    Its a good idea to skip a day if you can. If you can't, my advice would be try to take it a little later each day. If you can go 24 hours with none, take it, try to go 26 hours before next dose. Then 28, 30, 32, and so on. If you can make it 36 or more hours it will make quitting easier. My other advice is try to take it in the evening or night. That will make it so you sleep good and still feel fine in the morning and afternoon. The worst part for me was not being able to sleep. I wish I would have saved some to take at night so I could sleep.

Thanks jay. I did skip yesterday and definitely feeling it. I like your idea of night. Been tossing and just plain up. Only have 2-3 1mg chips. Since feel like poo on thanksgiving gonna take full 1mg bu might try to break the next up and take end of day or night.

Definitely seen how powerful they are at this stage but nothing too terrible.
    Happy t day

Thanks jay. I did skip yesterday and definitely feeling it. I like your idea of night. Been tossing and just plain up. Only have 2-3 1mg chips. Since feel like poo on thanksgiving gonna take full 1mg bu might try to break the next up and take end of day or night.

Definitely seen how powerful they are at this stage but nothing too terrible.
    Happy t day
    What I noticed for me was once I went 3 full days without subs and was in full withdrawals from them, which just a reminder was not that bad, I only needed a single small dose to cure it and then after that one dose I didn't need anymore and it was fairly easy to stop.

Thanks for the support! Well see how it goes. Got 2 ~1mg pieces. Gonna try to skip today and would love to got three days. Got my crazy mom here, screaming kids and a 'suck it up' type wife so it ain't gonna be easy. Not that I is really funny but this is exactly where I was last year except on the pain pills and hence reason went on the subs.

Will give it my best and Thanks for being here with reality check in the end.
    Fm. (ps sorry to scab on to your thread here with my deal)

I don't mind you posting in my thread at all. I encourage others to post their own experiences and ask me questions. I don't have much else to post. I've got my message across, that with enough knowledge, will power and a positive mindset, quitting suboxone doesn't have to be a nightmare. Tapering helps a lot, and especially trying to go as long as you can hold out between doses. There are so many horror stories out there about these 6 week long, tremendously awful withdrawals. It doesn't have to be that way.

Another main point I want to make to everyone is that suboxone is a great tool in getting clean. And I stress the word tool. It is not a fix for addiction, a replacement, a treatment and definitely not a cure. I also stress the term "getting clean." It does not help addiction. Addiction is the psychological need to get high. Subs take care of the physical symptoms of needing to get high. It does not treat addiction. That is up to the addict. Attending rehab, therapy and meetings and changing your lifestyle to complete the steps is what treats addiction.

I don't like when people say suboxone is just a replacement addiction. It is a great drug for staying clean, but there is no drug, and never will be a drug, that treats addiction. Your recovery is up to you, not a pill.

well said. Skipped Sunday and then monday had my last 0.5mg dose. Not feeling especially well, not sleeping great but definitely no where near full on opiate w/d. Had a couple hour bout of skin crawl that gave me some nasty flash backs but passed.

Overall feeling decent. Guess we'll see over the next couple of days as rest exists my body but to be honest I'm very hopeful that it isn't all that bad.

Thank for being there Jay.
    FM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast