Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By sbflicka8
  • 1 Post By Anonymous
  • 2 Post By sbflicka8
  • 2 Post By sbflicka8
  • 2 Post By sbflicka8
"Making The Jump" Off of Suboxone!!
    sbflicka8 is offline New Member

Default "Making The Jump" Off of Suboxone!!

Background: (I'll keep it short and sweet) I'm 21 years old, from Wisconsin and have been using oxys for the last 3 years. Before I decided to go to detox at a nearby mental health hospital, I was using around 360 mg a day crushing and snorting them. I know, this is considerably a lot lower than most oxy and >>>>>> addicts, but when I was doing my research it was hard to find a person or story to confide in when everyone's doses are very different, so hopefully I can help someone! I have been clean from opiates since 3/28/2012 (hit the 4 month mark yesterday yippie!!) And have been taking suboxone since 4/12/2012. Those two weeks that I was totally clean I was at the hospital for 5 days and received clonodine a few times a day, and they sent me home with some for another few days because the restlessness for me was the worst of the symptoms. If you can get to a doctor or clinic - GET CLONODINE! you will have zero energy, but it will help you sleep a little bit and not feel restlessness. Also, Loperamide (Immodium) can be a lifesaver for your stomach. With these two things, I just kept busy with my NA book, journaling, and watching a ton of television/movies. I wasn't so sure if I wanted to go on suboxone, but I was so sick of feeling sluggish after 2 weeks that I just said F it! If I could have done it over again, I would have done the sub treatment for a few weeks and THAT'S IT! This, of course, is for my personal situation. I completely understand that there are people who literally would probably be dead without suboxone, and more power to them for finding a better life than prescription/street drug use. I read horror stories NOT to get hooked on suboxone because it truly is a powerful drug, and I feel that some doctors don't prescribe it the right way.

The Now: I have been on suboxone for 3 1/2 months now, and it is my time to make the jump. I have been on an 8 mg/day dose the entire time, except for the last 10 days that I've tapered down a couple mgs every couple days. Sunday, 7/29/2012 I took my last 2 mg film piece at 8:00 a.m. Now I know what some of you are thinking, that I haven't tapered down enough. I have in fact done TONS AND TONS of internet research and compared people's experiences and have found that many people who have "made the jump" from 4-8 mg have had smooth withdrawal symptoms! My doctor at my outpatient facility also said that there is a lot of evidence coming out now that the lower the dose the more it acts like an opiate, so it can be harder to get off of. So I'm taking my chances! It has been 18 HOURS since my last dose. Feelin' alright! Felt sluggish most of the day.... did a little laundry... watched some good shows... now i'm obviously up a little too late, but I am okay!!! Staying MENTALLY FOCUSED because that's the most important thing regardless of the anguish of how physically awful some of you may feel!! you can do it people!!! I made this decision to get off because the longer I'm on it the harder it will be, and I'm ready. I have a sponsor, attend several meetings a week, and am at a good place in my life right now. Who knows what tomorrow will bring or what kind of state my life could be in, so the jump shall be taken at a peak not a low! I will keep updating as often as possible to let you know how things are going and what I'm feeling.

Words of Advice: I guess I haven't detoxed off of Subs enough to let others know what to expect, but I do know what it felt like to come off of oxys. Get an NA book!!! I'm not a higher power kind of person, but many other things can be taken out of this book, and it will give u that little motivation needed to keep going! Drink lots of fluids especially water! Eat healthily, even though food might not interest you at all. Get some fresh fruit or berries or sandwich stuff. Then you don't have to make anything and can get something into your body. If you can find some meds or melatonin to help you sleep, get on that! Sleep gives you a tiny bit more energy during the day, and it counts when you have zero of it. Find some support - a friend or a meeting to go to. The bed will be your best friend, but pick of the phone and call your friend just to tell them how you're feeling. NO SELF-PITY!! very, very damaging! just keep reminding yourself you're at a low and what's going through your mind is crazy talk! stay positive and tell yourself you're worth it and can do this! Will power will power will power. If you're into a higher power, go to him/her/them for support! Go for a walk if you can or do some stretching here and there. Honestly, just go up and down the stairs a couple times if you really can't get out of the house. Have a friend come get u while they run an errand because just sitting in the car in the outside world might bring your spirits up a little. Just know that you're not alone in this! So many people do it everyday and together we're a union. Have some laundry ready because if you get sweaty like I did, you will need a ton of change of clothes!! During detox, I would wake up every hour and was SOAKED! yuck! Let some people know what you're up to so they can come chill with you... being alone is the worst thing when you're detoxing! If you need a friend, have questions, or just need my support & love, e-mail me at sbflicka8@yahoo.com . I will do whatever I can to help whoever!! I need all the support I can get as well!!! The Recovery Life is the Best Life... Don't forget it!
    surfdog and bummer1 like this.

Anonymous Guest

good on ya for gettin clean. just be aware that the half life of subs is 72 hours, so it will take a couple of days for your symptoms to peak..the subs covered up your detox from oxy, the real work is going to start now that the opiates are leaving your system. and yes, that was a fast taper. i hope for your sake it works.
    while i like the sound of your theory,(higher amounts easier, hmmm) i know i tapered right down to zero to get off subs, and havent touched one for a 19 months now.

if you run into any problems. post here and someone may be able to help.

hang in there tho, you have the right attitude for sure.

Anonymous Guest

how often did you dose.?

i see you say 18 hours since your last dose. most people dose only once or twice a day. so 18 hours is not even the start...
    LovesAnimals likes this.

rxqueen83 is offline Member

You do have a great attitude, and that will get you farther than you know. I visit another forum now and then, and the subject of tapering vs. cold turkey is definately a heated debate. I've also seen symptoms seemingly match from those jumping at 2 mg doses, and those who tapered all the way to zero. Seems jumping off at anywhere under 2 mg is a consistent pain no matter how you do it. Keep up the good attitude, you have the want to as one of my dear friends from this forum says. That will get you far, and nobody can give that to you or take it away.
    Nadia
    COMPLETELY CLEAN (Sub FREE) as of 7/20/12

"I don't like the drugs, but the drugs LIKE ME" Marilyn Manson

Update: Slept for about 4 hours, but woke up feeling slight restlessness. Haven't been sweaty, stomach feels alright, and my appetite is decent. Can't stand the big pupils and bit of blurred vision. Dry nose and weird sneezes that half come out. Kinda hurts actually! I know I still have plenty to endure, but I'm ready and feeling pretty good today anyway. Very, very sore today. Did a lot of swimming over the weekend, so I'm exhausted and physically drained, but the mental part is 10 times stronger and healthier! Going to get clonodine today in 7 hours. Keeping myself busy with my computer and There's Something About Mary! A dog is nice company as well Looking forward to recovery! When I couldn't sleep last night, I called one of my best friends who has been clean for over a year, and she was of great help to me! Love the support I have in my life! Just another reminder from an outside source to keep pushin' on because it'll be worth it in the end!! Always recovering one day at a time, and this experience has brought so much into my life. Yes, there are very messed up things that I have done to myself and the people around me, but forgiveness from others and forgiving myself has made the move forward very smooth. But the things that I have learned, the stories that I've heard, the strangers that have become my family has meant the world to me. There was a young man in my outpatient recovery group who was 25 years old. We were in it for a couple months together... small, very personal group. His last day, his graduation, he did not make it to because he overdosed the night before and didn't wake up. His poor mother and father did everything they could to get him help, this was 2 days before my birthday... June 2nd. I went to see his family on my birthday, and his mother asked of only one thing from me.... to stay clean. My mom told her I enjoy challenges, and I'm always striving for perfection, so I have to make this my lifelong, constant goal. It scares me to think of it that way, but one day at a time makes the time go by a little better. I've seen too many people die from overdoses and I'm still practically a baby! GET HELP! it is out there! you just have to do a little looking! Find a meeting, walk to a church, call a friend, look for support on the Internet, call your mom for Christ's sake! Will be back on a bit later. Good luck to everyone... may your god or your mind be in the right place. Just remind yourself that the person you are at your best is always a clean one. They're in your body somewhere, and sadly they've been suppressed for so long that it may take a while to find.... DON'T GIVE UP.

Response: Yes thanks for the reminder that it will only get worse! I am aware of this, but maybe, just maybe staying positive and not dwelling on tomorrow or the day after will keep me sane! Thanks for the support people! I truly to appreciate it.

Oh btw... I SCREWED UP. I took my last 2 mg dose at 8:00 a.m. on SATURDAY JULY 28TH.... so it has been about 48 hours now! Whoops!!

Update: Did not see the doctor for clonodine today, have to wait until Thursday! I'm screwed. But I was given some muscle relaxers to help with the restlessness, and it's doing the trick so far. Tizanidine - put me out when I took 8 mg of it, so i'll just stick with one 4 mg pill every so often. My boyfriend decided to call me and dump me.... Asshole, right? But I don't blame him... I carry so much bull???? in my life! The last 4 months have been great, but I think I'm not getting better fast enough for him :/ What can I do? I can't change him... Just gotta keep my head up and take care of myself, but there's nothin' better than bein' kicked when you're majorlyyyy downnnnn

Update: Has been about 77 hours and I feel pretty darn good. Slept about 4 hours last night, and then ate a tiny bit of cereal. Laid down and slept for another few hours. This Tizanidine knocks me the F out! But it keeps the heeby jeebies and restlessness away. Went for a little walk last night and watched some heat lightning.... I thought my legs were going to fall off, but just pushed and pushed to keep movin! Am cuddling my cat now and watching a movie.... little bit of appetite, have been eating fruits, my stomach feels okay as long as I have the loperamide. Was a little sweaty when I woke up this morning, but I'm noticing that I'm always cold even though it's 95 degrees out! Blurry vision still, and dealing with a little slight depression since my family is busy and i've been mostly alone, but it's alright. just gotta ride the wave and remember it will end! hope everyone is doing well xoxo

surfdog is offline Senior Member

sb, Admire your grit and attitude. good on ya for getting clean sorrry about the bf but it may be for the best. you hang tight anything i can do i'm here Dog

Whad up i Kiwi Dog

Thank you! Forced myself to do some laundry today and keep my room slightly tidy so it doesn't get out of my hands! My friend Melissa is home from school tonight and is staying over with me You know, since I've been clean for the last 4 months, I spend a lot of time at home. I lost a little bit of my social butterfliness, which was a lot easier when I would be messed up. So whenever I get to do something fun or hang out with someone, it's such a treat! I have worked for my dad's tree company business the last 4 months, went to meetings, and spent lost time with my family. Sometimes, I wish I could just speed up the process and fix everything that's happened. I would be at an ivy league school right now if I didn't fall off the bandwagon, but why dwell on that? All I can promise myself is the gift of being clean to myself and my loved ones. Things will eventually fall into place, I just know it will be a very slow process! Gotta be okay with that!
    LovesAnimals and bummer1 like this.

Going on 112 hours.... seeing the doctor in the morning to get some clonidine just to have something else to take off the edge! Hope all are doing well, and if you're quitting whatever kind of substance your will power is strong enough to do it !! Ate pretty well today and went for a little walk around the block, which felt better than nothing! Got a change of scenery and went to my sister's which was nice. We can all do this! I'm looking forward to this all being over!

At 160 hours now... Have I gotten over the hump yet? I'm just constantly anticipating that tomorrow will be the worst lol but so far i'm not sure what day has been the worst? Yesterday morning I got clonidine and some ambien (yay!) so i'm very excited for that. I rode my bike to my friend's house yesterday because it was a beautiful day! Today is pretty hot, but I have errands that need to get done! Looking forward to the weekend, but I'm not sure if I want to do anything too risky. Good luck to anyone that wants to be done with this stuff! It feels good to be clean...

Sb stay in today, worrying about tomorrow accoplishes nothing but worry you are doing great Dog

rxqueen83 is offline Member

SB,
    Everyone is different. My symptoms lasted a good 12 days, but they were MILD. Nothing peaked in intensity over a five on a scale of 1-10. It just got mentally challenging and started to wear me down. If you look online you will also see there are 1-3 stages of opioid withdrawal, I found that fairly accurate. The last stage is a slightly different set of symptoms and then POOF, it's gone. By 14 days (2 weeks) I am feeling remarkably better. Just cranky now. Hang in there bud, your doing this!
    COMPLETELY CLEAN (Sub FREE) as of 7/20/12

"I don't like the drugs, but the drugs LIKE ME" Marilyn Manson