M358
    girlie girl is offline Member

Default M358

I have a white oblong tab with M358 on one side and a line down the middle of the other side. It is suppost to be hydrocodone 7.5/500 that i got from my pharmacy but I just wanted to make sure because they dont feel like they are working at all. Are some generic pain meds weaker than others?? Thanks [:X]

Girlie Girl

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

As to your question about generic pain meds, yes, some are weaker than others. It all comes down to quality control at the facility of the manufacturer. The FDA allows generic meds, in the active ingredient, to differ by as much as plus or minus 20% from the original name brand.

Thus, if the company has poor quality control, and doesn't maintain rigorous testing of their pills as they produce them, you can end up with some pills that have large amounts of the active ingredient, some pills that have the correct amount, and some that have virtually NONE.

I, myself, have an Oxycodone instant release that I can take 3 times a day for breakthrough pain. I have had some that didn't do anything, I might as well have swallowed a tic tac, some that were fine, and others that made me sick like I had overdosed and taken too many, even though I only took one pill, and these were all in the same bottle!

The pill you were asking about is manufactured by Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals and they have gained an awful reputation for making bad pills. If you do a search for information on their meds, you will pull up many BB sites, similar to this one, with everyone complaining about their products.

Now, on top of this difference, there are no requirements that the inactive ingredients, the fillers and binders, be the same as the name brands at all. The manufacturer can use whatever they choose, as long as they are on the FDA approval list for pill making. Some people have problems with these as well, as they can affect each person differently and how the pills main ingredient works in their body.

So while some generic meds are great, from companies that maintain high quality standards, some are awful and you get a double whammy if you don't react well to one of the inactives.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

girlie girl is offline Member

Thank You Sweetie!![:X]

Girlie Girl

katvision is offline New Member

ya some are.that kind aint very strong either.the line down the middle is for you to break it in half.

ictinus is offline New Member

Default In defense of Mallinckrodt

Quote Originally Posted by zippysgoddess View Post
    It all comes down to quality control at the facility of the manufacturer.
    The pill you were asking about is manufactured by Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals and they have gained an awful reputation for making bad pills. If you do a search for information on their meds, you will pull up many BB sites, similar to this one, with everyone complaining about their products.
    So while some generic meds are great, from companies that maintain high quality standards, some are awful and you get a double whammy if you don't react well to one of the inactives.
    I disagree and think we must be careful of overgeneralizing. I take dextroamphetamine for ADHD and find Mallinckrodt's product to be the best. (D-amphetamine is not a pain med but is a C-II controlled substance like narcotic pain meds such as oxycodone.) Many or most pharmacy chains where I live have exclusive contracts with Barr for generic d-amphetamine, but in my experience Barr's version produces a less even dependable effect, and I was much more likely to have headaches. I have found posts elsewhere that likewise tout Mallinckrodt's d-amphetamine and rail on other generic brands.

Amphetamine and many opioid pain meds are grandfathered in but when Barr applied to make Adderall (which contains d-amphetamine but wasn't grandfathered) the samples were twice rejected by the FDA because of too high levels of impurities. So I find it curious that Barr uses a much larger tablet than Mallinckrodt for the same 5mg tablet. Is the extra mass beneficial or benign fillers or undesirable impurities? There could be many reasons but smaller tablets also mean smaller bottles, smaller cases, less weight—issues effecting profits—so companies would take the matter seriously.

Perhaps the ultimate truth is that it depends on the patient, the drug, and the manufacturer. If you have problems, try a different generic brand. This often takes effort because you will likely need to get the pharmacist to special order it or (as in my case) need to find another pharmacy that will special order it. Don't let the pharmacist tell you that they are all the same so don't fuss with another generic brand. Don't be dazzled by mumblings about the FDA and being bioequivalent etc. Instead ask him or her why the words "Brand Medically Necessary" can be used on prescriptions. Actually, you don't need to justify your desire at all.

Don't hastily form a prejudice against Mallinckrodt. (FYI Mallinckrodt has entered an agreement to make the branded version of the drug: Dexedrine.)

Jacob-Oram is offline New Member

My doctor has in the last few months put me on a couple of different pain meds that I have to take every day. Since then it seems like I have been having stomache problems, uncomfortable feelings in my abdomen area, etc. Some are for inflammation, some for sleep, and one is a straight pain med with a weak narcotic in it.

My question is, is there something you all take before or with your medications to help your stomache? I have read, as just one example, that Ibuprofen can cause stomache AND intestinal ulcers, even if you take it with food. Since I take my meds with food and/or milk, is there any other way to help prevent problems, like drinking a teaspoon of Maalox or something with them? I would think that would help, but then I read online that drinking stuff like that everyday can have problems of its own, and is not meant for regular consumption. Is that true? What can I do?

I guess my thinking was, if I could coat my stomache/intestines with something more than food or milk (Maalox or something?) it might get rid of my problems as of late, as well as prevent future problems. Does anyone "coat" their stomache or anything like that before taking their pills? Also, what else can one do to prevent complications from taking several pills every day? I'd appreciate any ideas and suggestions!

Bear86 is offline New Member

It is hydrocodone 7.5. i dont like them personally you should try lortab 7.5.

laurie2400 is offline New Member

Default Jacob

Hi Jacob. You can take over the counter prilosec or zantac 30 min prior to taking your morning dose and that should help. If you are getting constipated you could try pushing more water, or taking colace 2xday. if that doesnt work try sennokot once a day. hope that helped.

Patriot67 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bear86 View Post
    It is hydrocodone 7.5. i dont like them personally you should try lortab 7.5.

All the same in Generic form. Hydrocodone seems to be the catch all generic form for Viccodin, Lortab, LorCet etc. Problem Ive ran into to is the Pharmas around here doesnt carry the name brand Viccodin etc, just the Hydro. Most Company Insurnace wont cover name brand stuff either, especially workers Comp.

abl1597 is offline New Member

How Long Do These Loratab Usually Stay In Someone's System?

Angleena-Smith is offline New Member

Addiction to painkillers is a common problem. Prescription opioid painkillers are used by almost two million Americans every year and, according to the National Household Survey on Drug Abuse in 2002 (NHSDA), painkillers have been illegally used by almost 9 percent of the population. Current research indicates that more individuals seek treatment for addiction to painkillers than for addiction to >>>>>>. This is most likely due to the fact that an accident, injury or illness that results in chronic pain is often treated with prescription narcotics and, over time, regular use of the drug-even when following a doctor's prescription exactly-can result in a painkiller addiction.

johnashep is offline New Member

Default watson

watson is the best generic for pain meds I have autheritus and have taken many kinds for over 30 years and there is a dif. the m358 is worthless to me i have to take two to do what one watson will do.

yieldpj is offline New Member

Default levels of oxycodone

I just have a question. Right now,my Dr. is prescribing me Oxycodone 7.5 /3.25.

What is the next level up from that. Is it Oxycontin or something else. I know Dr.'s rarely prescribed Oxycontin, but I'd like to know if there is something in between what I am taking now (Oxycodone 7.5 / 3.25) and (Oxycontin)k that I can ask for because I still have lots of pain. Please advise.

thanks for everyone's help.

LaurenHuffman is offline New Member

Smile Percocet

Quote Originally Posted by yieldpj View Post
    I just have a question. Right now,my Dr. is prescribing me Oxycodone 7.5 /3.25.

What is the next level up from that. Is it Oxycontin or something else. I know Dr.'s rarely prescribed Oxycontin, but I'd like to know if there is something in between what I am taking now (Oxycodone 7.5 / 3.25) and (Oxycontin)k that I can ask for because I still have lots of pain. Please advise.

thanks for everyone's help.
    Hi yieldpj,

Maybe you should ask to be put on percocet 10 mg's or just plain oxycodone 10 mg's with no tylenol in it. That would probably help with your pain better.

I'm not an expert. Just letting you know what helps me best.

Thanks,

Lauren

Nightowl872 is offline New Member

A rose by any other name is still a rose. Oxycontin, Oxycodone, hyrocodone, lortab, vicodin, etc are all the same as far as the drug is concerned. You will get different mixers like aspirin, ibuprofin, acetaminophen. So, if you don't like the over-the-counter pain medicine you can get another . I wanted the drug all by itself but, no way. So I'm stuck with the aspirin version.

I too an taking the M358 and feel it is like taking nothing. I had to check it to make sure I wasn't taking my Trental tablets by mistake.
    Last edited by Nightowl872; 03-09-2010 at 11:27 AM.

Whitebobbyjr is offline New Member

Exclamation

They are so many pill that work for pain. The pill with M358 is good for pain but if it does not help you then you need to talk with your doctor about a new and better pain pill. You can take more and more of the same pill like the M358. It may help with the pain but it is not good for you on the inside of your body. Talk to your doctor. You pay him to help you so let him do his job. Thank you. Bob White