Lexapro Withdrawal
    soccer_dude is offline New Member

Default Lexapro Withdrawal

Hi,

It appears the other Lexapro Withdrawal forum was closed, so I will just open a new one.

I was on Lexapro for only 4 weeks. I tapered over a 3-4 day period. (Be sure to discuss with your doctor how to come off Lexapro if that is what you want to do). Anyway, I wanted off lexapro because it flat lined my emotions. I couldn't feel happy or excited. It was uncomfortable. It did seem to start helping a bit with my anxiety, but couldn't handle the lack of emotions especially when you've also been depressed. I have anxiety, which turned into some panic symptoms which turned into depession and I also have insomnia.

Anyway, the last day on Lexapro, I started up on Remeron. The first 8 days on Remeron I did really well, slept better, anxiety at bay, and mood better, but I was still not perfect, but felt better than I had in years. Then all of a sudden, about 10 days after I started Remeron, I had a major relapse. My anxiety came back strong, I couldn't sleep, I had horrible thoughts/feelings, etc.. Where did this come from?

I have a couple of therories. Did I finally get hit with Lexapro withdrawal after 10 days? Were these start up side-effects that I finally felt after starting Remeron, or some of both? I was only on Lexapro for 4 weeks, and tapered off by cutting my dose in half for 3-4 days. Was that too quick, can I still have withdrawal symptoms, and can they appear 10 days after coming off?

Thanks.

JustStartedLex is offline New Member

Hi everone,

I just started Lexapro for a week only. I've read a lot of the 436 pages on the Lexapro Withdrawal thread (now closed) and am really worried about taking this drug. I need some advice.

I have been struggling with chronic depression all my life and I finally found an antidepressant that I can tolerate in low doses (previously reacted very poorly to zoloft, paxil, and a few others that I can't remember now). So now with lexapro, I am only on 2.5 mg for a week and I find its helping already (it stopped the crying almost immediately and I feel generally okay, for a change !). My doctor told me to take 5 mg for the first week and increase to 10 mg after that, but since I have had bad reactions to these drugs in the past, I've decided to reduce to 2.5 instead. I intend to just keep it at 2.5 mg level, with no increase.

After reading the withdrawal thread, I am very concerned about this drug and what it is doing to my brain chemicals and body. Many people have commented that this is a toxin or poison, and many have said that if they had known , they would never have started this drug in the first place.

So please could I have some advice ? I'm only one week into this. Should I stop taking the drug ? Before starting, I've been mildly depressed, bouts of crying, low energy, low motivation, feeling hopeless but generally ok at home, no thoughts of harming myself at all, still able to enjoy watching movies, talking to my family, going out for walks etc. The 2.5 mg Lexapro has taken away the crying almost immediately; I feel a sense of well-being, and I don't feel upset anymore. Energy level is still low, still no motivation though.

So I'm not sure if its worth it to continue, even though it seems to be helping so far. I am VERY VERY afraid of the withdrawal symptoms, esp. the brain zaps and dizziness sound bad.

Would stopping now give me any withdrawal symptoms still ????

Please, could everyone give me your comments, suggestions and advice. I could really use your input. Can't decide whether to continue taking them or stop now. Please help. THANK YOU everyone !

mfpdfibro is offline New Member

I cant believe they even had a Lexapro withdrawal thread. I took Lexapro a couple of years back for almost five years. I had no side effects from taking the drug and absolutely no withdrawal symptoms from not taking it. I believe the only antidepressants that cause withdrawal symptoms are drugs like Effexor or Cymbalta.
    I was going through withdrawal from the Fentynl patch (synthetic morphine) and Effexor at the same time. The symptoms that where the worse where the ones coming from the Effexor withdrawal. It only took me less than a week to get off of the morphine, but it took a whole month of hell to get off of the Effexor. The Lexapro was a blessing. It really worked well for about five years, then it just kind of stopped working so they switched me to Celexa. No withdrawal from Lexapro and the Celexa kicked in right away and so far has been doing great for me. I would stay on the Lexapro especially if it is working. If the amount you are on now is lower than what the Dr. wants you on, I say move on up to the full dosage. On the other hand if the lower amount helps and saves you money from buying the larger dose then taper on at your own comfort level. However, getting off of Lexapro and having any side effects other than the depression it was helping you with seems ridiculous to me.

Rollinsgirl is offline New Member

Hi,
    I'm 20 years old and I've been on Lexapro for three years. I was originally hesitant to start medication (I was 17 when it was prescribed) but was finally coerced into it the summer between my junior and senior years in high school. I was instructed to take 10mg for two weeks and to then increase my dosage to 20mg. I had severe strep throat during this process so I'm not sure if the "side effects" I was experiencing were from starting an SSRI or from the strep. ANYWAY, Lexapro worked wonderfully for me from June until August. Once I returned for my senior year of high school, it was no longer effective. My psychiatrist increased my dosage to 40mg but it still did nothing for my anxiety. She then added Abilify, but I had a severe reaction to it and I was bedridden for 9 weeks.
    Since starting on the pharmaceutical route, I've been on:
    Lexapro, Abilify, Remeron, Risperdal, Prozac, Klonopin, Atavan, Xanax, Buspar, Topamax, Geodon, Revia, and Cogentin.
    All because I had anxiety. I've been diagnosed with: GAD, SAD, MDD, BPD, Avoidant Personality Disorder, Dissociative Disorder Not-Otherwise-Specified, Bi-Polar Disorder, and EDNOS. I feel as though my reactions to medication CAUSED many of the symptoms that led to me being diagnosed with all of these illnesses. The only two I agree with are GAD and EDNOS.
    Over the past year, I've gotten myself off of Topamax, Buspar, Cogentin, and Revia. I'm currently in the process of getting off of Geodon and Lexapro. I started at 200mg/daily of Geodon and while I was inpatient for treatment of my eating disorder, they tapered me down to 80mg/daily. Since I've been home, I've tapered myself down to 10mg/daily and today I stopped it all together.
    The Lexapro has been a bit trickier. While I was inpatient, I was prescribed 20mg/daily. I had no intentions of coming off of it until I came home and my GP (I don't currently have a psychiatrist) wrote my prescription for 10mg. Once I figured out why I was feeling bad?, I decided that I wanted off the horrible medication and have since then been tapering down. I went from 20mg to 10mg over the course of a week (not on purpose), then from 10mg to 5mg over the course of a week. My withdrawal effects of going from 10mg to 5mg have been negligible, so today I stopped it all together.

Withdrawal effects: 20-->10: Headache and brain zaps
    10-->5: Brain zaps
    5-->0: Brain zaps
    I know I tapered fairly quickly and I feel fortunate that I did not have the negative withdrawal effects that others did. I'm just hoping that I can lose the 50 pounds I gained whilst on psychotropic medications.

Good luck all!
    Last edited by ddcmod; 05-26-2012 at 04:48 PM.

swoop119 is offline New Member

Hey all, was on Lex for 6 years. Dec 2010 went from 10 to 5 daily, then 5 every other day (6 weeks) then 5 every 2 days (4 weeks) then off. Was good for 8 weeks than unmanageable. Felt my system was way out of wack, and although certain withdrawals were gone, I had obviously gone too fast.

Fast forward to this year, I went back to 5mg daily, to 5mg every other day from June 11 to March 12. From that time on, taking 5mg every third day.

Point is, looking back at the old thread, I don't believe this is the proper taper. I am thinking of doing 2.5mg every day, any ideas? I don't want to undue the pleasant awakening of my true me!

Rollinsgirl is offline New Member

I just wanted to let everyone know that I've been off of Lexapro for one week and my withdrawal effects have almost completely subsided. For the first few days it was horrible. I was nearly ready to go back on. I had brain zaps, nausea, vertigo, I felt like I had the flu. I feel SO much better now though. I was really afraid I was going to feel like bad for a while, but it subsided. I even rolled the windows down and sang along with the radio on my way home. It gets better. Hang in there.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 06-04-2012 at 08:26 PM.

Karnage is offline New Member

I was on Lexapro for about 6 weeks prescribed by a shrink for a life-situation issue. Said i have all the symptoms of severe depression - no motivation, angry, irritated, lethargic etc. Now looking back it took a few weeks to start working and then recently I started to feel real good, things from the past weren't bothering me anymore etc. Was on 10mg tablets and was also taking anti-psychosis medication (Seroquel) but i kicked that about 2 weeks ago.

Last dose of Lexapro was on 1/6. On the 3/6 I started feeling a bit down thinking of things that have happened and that night had the most vivid dreams/nightmares ever.. Yesterday 5/6 was hit with the bout of anger and lack of concentration that I had before the lexapro kicked in and this morning also lack of motivation and feeling like my head is about to explode. I'm also finding I don't get as sound a sleep as I usually do, just slightly restless, and slightly feel like I have pins and needles sometime.

Reason I didn't want to stay on is although I felt good I was questioning whether I was actually happy or was it just the Lexapro, how do I know if I'm healing if I don't know if its the drug or actually myself. Shrink about 3 weeks ago when I saw him said I can come off whenever I want, don't need any tapering or anything like that but he thought I was still a bit in the red zone and wait until I'm better (ie. in a greener zone) to come off it. I also don't want to be dependent on the drug, I was fine before someone close to me screwed me over in my life so I keep telling myself I can be fine again.

So I am doing cold turkey, no tapering whatsoever but I'm glad I found this forum as I also got told there was no side effects. I'll keep everyone updated on how the cold turkey is going.. It's going to be an interesting few days..