Page 378 of 436 FirstFirst ... 278328368376377378379380388428 ... LastLast
Results 11,311 to 11,340 of 13051
Like Tree21Likes
Lexapro Withdrawal
    vestabula is offline Member

Default gums

Well...just when I think there is not another symptom I can experience, I now have what I thought was a tooth ache and it is not the tooth, it is the gum right where it meets my bottom front teeth. I wasn't off Lexapro for a week when my gums got swollen on the top, but they didn't hurt or bleed. THIS HURTS! Did not relate it to Lexapro...I mean how many weird symptoms can this drug dish out? But I googled it and sure enough..."swollen, red gums, toothache at the gum line." I haven't seen anyone else on this forum complain about this...I know I have been clenching my teeth terribly since I stopped the drug and maybe that's causing the pain...it hurts to touch my gums with my tongue. Oh, and my bottom lip is now twitching intermittently. Lovely.

rujoking is offline Member

vesta...my gums have been a mess since all this started...swollen and painful at times... my bottom front teeth also feel...well....weird..like they have moved or something...hard to describe...I have also noticed some gum recession..one bottom front tooth is pretty bad...

I am scheduled for the dentist this week and bet he tells me I need a graft...loverly...the gift that keeps on giving....now I know that this could also be aging but I take meticulous care of my teeth so who the hell knows anymore..

be gentle with your mouth...and do the best you can...this is just one of the MANY skin issues I have had this past year...sigh..

and by the way, I have had twitching all over my body since this all started.

hang in,
    ruj

Anonymous Guest

I haven't noticed gum problems, but I have had nerve pains in my teeth. Sometimes it's a pain, sometimes it's just a sensation, similar to a zap or a surge of electricity. Sometimes, ruj, mine feel like they're being moved. Fortunately it only lasts a second or two.

And I have the lip twitch also - it only happens when I'm going to sleep.

marebu is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by mims View Post
    I haven't noticed gum problems, but I have had nerve pains in my teeth. Sometimes it's a pain, sometimes it's just a sensation, similar to a zap or a surge of electricity. Sometimes, ruj, mine feel like they're being moved. Fortunately it only lasts a second or two.

And I have the lip twitch also - it only happens when I'm going to sleep.
    I also get the zaps into my teeth. Sometimes its the top front teeth and feels like the nerve is being jolted. Nasty!
    I would have been forever off to the dentist if I hadn't read on this site about zaps and tooth pain from w/d . I had everything x rayed once to rule out a tooth issue and know that they are fine. Now all i have to do is put up with this weirdo symptom.

Anonymous Guest

Default Lexapro

Quote Originally Posted by auntybiotic View Post
    Does anyone have any experience from withdrawaing from Lexapro 20 Mg for one and a half years?? My daughter is having a tough time tapering off lexapro.
    She is getting sweats, anxiety, moodieness and manic like actions.

Let me know if anyone has sucessfully weaned off a SSRI and what happened along the way.
    Thanks
    It looks like you posted this back in 1995. Has your daughter got off Lexapro? I have only been taking 10 mg for only three days and this morning was very sick and sweating already before I took it. Due to this forum I know what was wrong with me now. I thought about taking Mirtazapine in place of the Lexapro, but it has a bad withdrawl also which I only take about 4mg of at night. I think it is the best antidepressant. How long do you think I will go through withdrawl seeing I have only taken Lexapro three days? If you still post in this forum anything you can say would be of help to me. Anybody else can post me also.
    God Bless,
    Jehodiah

Tonigee is offline New Member

Hello, I just found this forum tonight. I have been taking Lexapro for 11 months. Sure wish I'd have never started it. Sadly I wasn't having that much of a depression/anxiety problem. But the drug was offered to me and I was told by the P.A. that it had a very low chance of side effects and that if I wanted to stop taking it, that would be no problem. She actually winked and called it a "happy pill". Kid you not!

I'd like to preface this by saying I have always had issues with weight and have never exercised like I should or never had good eating habits. A few months after starting to take Lex I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. So I know the days of junk food and being a couch potato are over. I begin eating very healthy foods that I have researched to be best for controling diabetes. And I began an exercise routine. I use the Leslie Sansone dvds, walking in home. I started out with one mile a day and over a month worked up to 5 miles a day. I was losing weight so nicely and feeling great about everything. My A1C went from 8.5 to 5.8.

And then the weight loss stopped even though I was still eating right and working out. At my last check up my dr. (not the PA that prescribed the Lex) mentioned I had gained back 5 lbs that I'd lost. I told him I didn't know why as I was doing the same as before. He says we'll keep an eye on things and if you continue like this we'll look at the lexapro. I didn't even know it could cause weight gain!!!!!!!

So here I am and have gained another 5 lbs in this past month. So I start online research and found my way here. Now I am scared beyond words by everything I've read about trying to get off this drug. I don't have another appointment for 3 months and don't want to delay so my husband and I prayed about it and we are going to start the weaning process with the help and guidance of God. I feel He directed me here to show me I needed to be cautious because I was thinking of going cold turkey since that's the way I quit smoking. So now I know cold turkey is not an option. It is good to be informed. There is power in information. I know it will not be easy. That is good so I can be prepared and not feel afraid or discouraged.

I want to publically state my dependence on God in this matter, that He will lead me to quit this drug in a safe manner. And I want to also state that I am thankful for all of you that have researched and posted to give me a guideline to follow.

I ask any of you that are prayer warriors, to include me in your prayers and this group will be in mine now. No matter what we are facing, God is bigger. I will go as far as I can and then He will reach down to meet me.

God bless and I will be back to read and post as I'm able. God made my body and He will take me through this withdrawal until I am drug-free.

Pray for me as I'll be praying for you,
    Toni

Aeroman is offline Member

Whether you pray or not, Lexapro W/D could bring one down on their knees.

Glad you found us...good luck.

I just got back from the dentist...I have a massive gum infection from receding gums that filled up with bacteria. I was just at the dentist 6 months ago (before withdrawal) and he never mentioned this problem. Had to have a deep scaling and I will probably lose those teeth sometime in the future. I can't balme everything on Lexapro, I guess. And if this problem was even remotely mentioned the last time I was there, I wouldn't blame it on the drug. I was sick all week-end, chills and flu like feeling from this infection. Two week of antibiotics for me...Yea! According to his x-ray comparison from 6 months ago, I have lost 2/3 of my gum line! How on earth can an SSRI do something like this??? Oh...and two of my teeth have moved and are beginning to overlap! I just can't believe this. Maybe it's not the drug. I just don't know anymore.

Anonymous Guest

Vesta, I am so sorry to hear that. Did you have gum problems at all before this? It's really frightening that something like that could happen all of a sudden. Did the dentist have any idea why this happened?

ruj, you better get yourself to the dentist for a check-up, you've been complaining about gums, too.

gez vesta so sorry to hear! If it's not one dam thing it's another! My gums have actually been pretty good despite the one I jammed with toothbrush which has made it receede a bit...I hope the anti-biotic does not upset you in the midst of all this - be sure to take a probiotic with it to protect your stomach!

mims - I have a dentist appt on Wed....my gums were at there worst (the way they felt) last time I was there and they did not mention a thing...so we shall see...

Tonigee - good luck with your wean - just remember to go slow - no more than 10% of your dose every 3 to 4 weeks....you can do this with courage and time...

ruj

Mims...I have one capped tooth in the back that has always had a 'pocket' behind it, but that's it. With the last set of xrays six months ago, he never mentioned bone loss and gum recession. I didn't mention the Lexapro issue with him. I'm sure he would roll his eyes, just like other medical professionals. He had no explanation...just showed me the loss of 2/3 of the bone that hold my teeth in the sockets, and how my gums have shrunk. He really looked perplexed. If I hadn't been numbed to my eyeballs with novacain I would have discussed this with him more. I was in so much pain I just wanted to get out of there. I did check the Lexapro site and saw that infected gums, thrush, tooth decay and a number of other wonderful things can happen during withdrawal. I just don't understand how this drug can do so many things to a persons body.

marebu is offline Member

I did check the Lexapro site and saw that infected gums, thrush, tooth decay and a number of other wonderful things can happen during withdrawal. I just don't understand how this drug can do so many things to a persons body.[/QUOTE]
    Could you give the link to the lexapro site?

Default gums

Marebu...One of the sites is The Road back. Before I knew what was going on in my mouth, I Googled lexapro Withdrawal symptoms and a myriad of them came up. Then I typed in thrush (thought that is what this might be) gingivitis, tooth loss and gum infection. If you do that, somewhere on the first page is a link that says Lexapro Site. There are pages of these symptoms linked to Lexapro. I just had a e-mail from a friend this morning that said she has had so many problems with her gums since on Zoloft, her teeth are starting to get loose. I would have never thought this could have anything to do with an SSRI.

Anonymous Guest

I can't help questioning the reliability of the road back info, since they are trying to sell a product, even though I can surely identify with many of the lexapro problems they listed.

I have no idea if lexapro was a factor in your gum problems, but toothache and dry mouth (which I think can affect teeth over the long term) are even listed on lexapro's website in the prescribing information.

I'm so sorry this has happened to you Vesta. Things were bad enough - you really didn't need another health complaint to have to deal with.

Default Mims

I agree with you 100% about The Road Back and know they are hawking a cure. I guess I should have clarified it by saying when I typed in key words(thrush, gingivitis etc) that site kept popping up. I did find several other sites that substaniated these symptoms. The bottom line is, I guess any SSRI can affect the mouth in so many ways, due to dry mouth, sugar cravings and all the other things that come with withdrawal. I know my problems came from not getting any kind of instruction or withdrawal info in the free blister packs I got for two years. Or a warning from my doctor when he started me on the drug. He never heard of brain zaps before. OMG.

Anonymous Guest

SSRI drugs are designed for the very purpose of changing your brain /nervous system. Is there any part of the body that is NOT affected by the brain and nervous system? It makes sense to me that a drug like this could affect every single bodily function.

pboy is offline Member

Default Teeth issues

Did anyone else grind their teeth a lot during Lex withdrawal? I've found myself doing that a lot recently, constantly grinding. I can't help it!
    Also did anyone else have really dry cracked lips? And hair loss? Sometimes I just tug on a strand of hair lightly and it comes straight out.

pboy is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tonigee View Post
    Now I am scared beyond words by everything I've read about trying to get off this drug. I don't have another appointment for 3 months and don't want to delay so my husband and I prayed about it and we are going to start the weaning process with the help and guidance of God. I feel He directed me here to show me I needed to be cautious because I was thinking of going cold turkey since that's the way I quit smoking. So now I know cold turkey is not an option. It is good to be informed. There is power in information. I know it will not be easy. That is good so I can be prepared and not feel afraid or discouraged.
    Good luck with tapering, let us know how you go. I know how scary it is at the start but you will make it through. Keep posting on here for advice and support. Are you going to use liquid Lex to taper? Remember, taper between 5-10% of your current dosage every 3-4 weeks or however long it takes your body to stabilize.
    It's tough but it can be done. Take fish oil to help you through the process, it helps with mood.

marebu is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by pboy View Post
    Did anyone else grind their teeth a lot during Lex withdrawal? I've found myself doing that a lot recently, constantly grinding. I can't help it!
    Also did anyone else have really dry cracked lips? And hair loss? Sometimes I just tug on a strand of hair lightly and it comes straight out.
    With the hair falling out - if it is shedding, then Biotin has been documented to slow hair loss when there is no underlying disease present. I have been taking it now for 4 months and my hair has thickened up a bit - not as much hair in the brush. I take 5,000mcg and as it is a water soluble vitamin the body will get rid of any excess without toxicity.
    I usually shed a lot at the change of season - like a cat! - so we'll see when Autumn comes. (Aussie)
    If hair is breaking then the hair is dry and brittle and needs lots of tender loving care - maybe a hot oil mask every week.
    Let me know what you think - take care.
    M

New Start is offline New Member

Lexapro can also mess with your thyroid. I was going crazy with my symptoms and had my thyroid tested and I was hypothyroid. Some of the symptoms are:

fatigue, exhaustion
    feeling run down and sluggish
    depression
    difficulty concentrating, brain fog
    unexplained or excessive weight gain
    dry, coarse and/or itchy skin
    dry, coarse and/or thinning hair
    feeling cold, especially in the extremities
    constipation
    muscle cramps
    increased menstrual flow
    more frequent periods
    infertility/miscarriage

If you get your thyroid tested, do some research first about the kind of testing they do. You should get your T3 and T4 levels tested and not just the TSH. If your levels are off, do more research about the type of medication the Dr. puts you on. Knowledge is power and we shouldn't blindly believe everything the Dr. says.

Thanks from everyone for the welcome. My husband's cousin is an LPN and I spoke to her yesterday about weaning off Lexapro. She has also personally taken the drug. I told her I'd taken my 10 mg and cut in half and then another half to get 7.5 mg and asked did she think that was okay. She said she did because when she weaned off she went from 10 to 5 to 0 over 2 months. I plan to stretch mine out longer than she did though. But she gave the thumbs up to me to go 10, 7.5, 5, 2.5 and then 0. What are your thoughts on this plan?

pboy: I already take fish oil pills, so I have one thing covered already. As for the liquid form, I guess I'll just try with what pills I have. Our insurance requires us to order meds through the mail and I don't know how to go about switiching to the liquid. Plus I'm trying to not have to buy anymore as funds are tight here.

New Start: I'll have to mention about the thyroid to my friend becuase she has been having a time with hers lately and maybe it's the Lexapro.

A question to anyone that's gained weight on Lex: After you completely stopped, did the weight gain stop?

Avpthumper is offline New Member

Talking Lexapro taper...

Tonigee, that taper regemine might work out okay. Alot of lexapro withdrawees ( you like my new word?... Ha!) will swear that it should be done over a longer period and at a slower pace. One thing is for certain, everyone is different and each person that has the misfortune of having to go through these withdrawals, will have their own personal experience to contend with. With that being said, as each of us go through this ordeal, we must pay attention and listen to our bodies as they adjust to lower doses of the medication. I've been through this before and have succesfully gone without medication for long periods of time, only to have to return to my physician for some symptom and wind up being put right back on it. Don't make that mistake. I have recently discovered, through much research and putting two and two together, I now believe my symptoms were stemming from a slight mitral valve prolapse condition I have had all my life. Doctors are trained to treat the symptoms, not neccessarily provide a cure. I believe most doctors should have their script pads revoked for prescribing these meds like they are candy. They are poison to the human body. For me, this time it's for good. Once you are able to get down enough to stop without suffering needlessly, don't ever look back. Stay busy. Keep taking the supplements. Get plenty of exercise, sunshine and rest. Stay in tune with God and you'll be more than a conquerer!

Default back from the dentist...

Quote Originally Posted by vestabula View Post
    Mims...I have one capped tooth in the back that has always had a 'pocket' behind it, but that's it. With the last set of xrays six months ago, he never mentioned bone loss and gum recession. I didn't mention the Lexapro issue with him. I'm sure he would roll his eyes, just like other medical professionals. He had no explanation...just showed me the loss of 2/3 of the bone that hold my teeth in the sockets, and how my gums have shrunk. He really looked perplexed. If I hadn't been numbed to my eyeballs with novacain I would have discussed this with him more. I was in so much pain I just wanted to get out of there. I did check the Lexapro site and saw that infected gums, thrush, tooth decay and a number of other wonderful things can happen during withdrawal. I just don't understand how this drug can do so many things to a persons body.
    and apparently I lucked out - he said my teeth and gums look good - I told him about the weird feeling and he was puzzled - all he could offer was that my mouth was a bit dry and that could cause the weird feeling and soreness after I floss....I am relieved it is nothing to worry about.

vesta I hope you are feeling better and out of pain!

ruj

Anonymous Guest

Talking I switched

I ran out of 20mg Lexapro after taking them for a year and started taking 40mg of generic Celexa... now I haven't looked up Celexa withdrawal but I haven't suffered from any of the nasty LEx withdrawal I would feel when forgetting to take them for a couple days... I would get so dizzy I thought I would pass out and a migraine I would trade for death. Maybe switching to another similar drug would help...

Quote Originally Posted by Avpthumper View Post
    Tonigee, that taper regemine might work out okay. Alot of lexapro withdrawees ( you like my new word?... Ha!) will swear that it should be done over a longer period and at a slower pace. One thing is for certain, everyone is different and each person that has the misfortune of having to go through these withdrawals, will have their own personal experience to contend with. With that being said, as each of us go through this ordeal, we must pay attention and listen to our bodies as they adjust to lower doses of the medication. I've been through this before and have succesfully gone without medication for long periods of time, only to have to return to my physician for some symptom and wind up being put right back on it. Don't make that mistake. I have recently discovered, through much research and putting two and two together, I now believe my symptoms were stemming from a slight mitral valve prolapse condition I have had all my life. Doctors are trained to treat the symptoms, not neccessarily provide a cure. I believe most doctors should have their script pads revoked for prescribing these meds like they are candy. They are poison to the human body. For me, this time it's for good. Once you are able to get down enough to stop without suffering needlessly, don't ever look back. Stay busy. Keep taking the supplements. Get plenty of exercise, sunshine and rest. Stay in tune with God and you'll be more than a conquerer!
    I do like that "withdrawees"! I completely agree with you about doctors should not prescribe these meds like candy. In my case I was prescribed these by my doctor's P.A. which I really think is wrong. Anyway, I have really tried to prep myself for this by getting prayed up and asking others for prayer and researching online and trying to be in a good and healthy place before trying. And believe me when I ever get off, I will not go back on!! Thanks for your kind words.

Default teeth

RUJ...so glad you got good news about your gums and teeth! I'm an 'old broad' so maybe it's just age taking it's course with me. It just seems strange that it happend almost overnight. I now have to have this bazilliion dollar periodontal (sp) procedure done to 'maybe' save the bottom row. Owie, and Cha Ching!

coobeans is offline New Member

hi i'm new to this forum. i was on 10mg lexapro for almost 2 years. decided i need to wean myself after reading all the negative side effects. i was at 5mg before i went "cold turkey".
    it's been a week since i've been off completely and i'm experiencing a lot of what's already been posted. the dizziness has gotten increasingly worse. the sweating seems to be steady.. today has been the worst of it though. not only am i dizzy and sweaty/hot, but i am nauseous, tired, and feel like i might pass out.

for those who have successfully gotten off of this, how long did it take? how much more of this misery do i have to look forward to?
    sigh...

marebu is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by coobeans View Post
    hi i'm new to this forum. i was on 10mg lexapro for almost 2 years. decided i need to wean myself after reading all the negative side effects. i was at 5mg before i went "cold turkey".
    it's been a week since i've been off completely and i'm experiencing a lot of what's already been posted. the dizziness has gotten increasingly worse. the sweating seems to be steady.. today has been the worst of it though. not only am i dizzy and sweaty/hot, but i am nauseous, tired, and feel like i might pass out.

for those who have successfully gotten off of this, how long did it take? how much more of this misery do i have to look forward to?
    sigh...
    If you read back over the posts on this site you will find that quitting at 5mg is not recommended. There is some very good advice here from people who have done their research.
    If it is only a week since you quit then you probably should go back to the dose that you last felt "comfortable" , stabilize for 2 or 3 even 4 weeks and then and wean slowly from there. Cuts of 10% of current dose every 3 weeks or when you feel stable enough is the recommendation of many of the people who contribute to this site. I encourage you to read their experiences as they really will convince you that you can mess with your brain chemistry for a protracted time by quitting lex the way you have.
    I am so gald i followed their advice because my symptoms have settled a bit since slowing my tapering and I feel more calm about taking my time.
    Good luck - and keep posting.

SL500 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tonigee View Post
    I do like that "withdrawees"! I completely agree with you about doctors should not prescribe these meds like candy. In my case I was prescribed these by my doctor's P.A. which I really think is wrong. Anyway, I have really tried to prep myself for this by getting prayed up and asking others for prayer and researching online and trying to be in a good and healthy place before trying. And believe me when I ever get off, I will not go back on!! Thanks for your kind words.
    Hi Tonigee and welcome - I come on this site randomly as I am in my 5th month off of Lexapro - I weaned over a year's time and started on 10mgs. Just take it slow. Also, dont be scared if you feel w/d's. It will pass in time. But do remember, everyone is different! I have had a two friends that were on it - one cold turkeyed and was totally fine! (I DO NOT recommend this) and the other did it over a few months, had a few months of minor w/d's and was fine. Then there is me....nothing too out of the ordinary when reading what some people go through. But just try to stay positive and know that you can get through this....just take it slow and easy! Good luck!

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by SL500 View Post
    Hi Tonigee and welcome - I come on this site randomly as I am in my 5th month off of Lexapro - I weaned over a year's time and started on 10mgs. Just take it slow. Also, dont be scared if you feel w/d's. It will pass in time. But do remember, everyone is different! I have had a two friends that were on it - one cold turkeyed and was totally fine! (I DO NOT recommend this) and the other did it over a few months, had a few months of minor w/d's and was fine. Then there is me....nothing too out of the ordinary when reading what some people go through. But just try to stay positive and know that you can get through this....just take it slow and easy! Good luck!

Sandy
    Hi Sandy. Congrats for being off Lexapro for 5 months!! That is awesome. Also thanks for the experience stories of your friends. Very helpful to hear all the variances.

I have been at 7.5 mg for 6 days and have already lost .8 lbs (not 8 whole, 8 tenths). I have been doing nothing different--still eating the same and exercising the same. This is the first week I have not gained a few ounces or pounds since back in the summer. Yay!